PDA

View Full Version : NHC AFC Wimbledon charged by EFL after failing to use MK Dons' full name

theonlywayisup
20-12-2017, 12:56 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42425465

Whilst funny and I'm sure supported by the majority of the AFC Wimbledon supporters, you can see why the EFL has decided to fine them.

During the The Ranger's game, I was wondering whether the stadium announcer would call them The Rangers, but thought he was under the clear direction not to get Hibs into any sort of trouble.

Did a similar thing happen when The Rangers played in the lower leagues?

Thecat23
20-12-2017, 01:00 PM
I’ve no idea what the big fear is about calling The Rangers ‘The Rangers.’ It the official name of the club so what’s the problem. Only in Scotland have we got this fear about change and how it would upset some knuckle dragging fat faced tit of a supporter from the West.

Rangers DIED as a club, they then applied as ‘The Rangers’ so should be adressed by that very name.

overdrive
20-12-2017, 01:03 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42425465

Whilst funny and I'm sure supported by the majority of the AFC Wimbledon supporters, you can see why the EFL has decided to fine them.

During the The Ranger's game, I was wondering whether the stadium announcer would call them The Rangers, but thought he was under the clear direction not to get Hibs into any sort of trouble.

Did a similar thing happen when The Rangers played in the lower leagues?

I'm a sure a lower league team referred to them as a new team and either listed no trophies won or just the lower leagues won under their honours section in their programme. I'm not sure if they directly used 'The' though.

This season Dundee Utd played Linfield in the Irn-Bru Cup and referred to Linfield in the programme as "the most successful team in the world still in existence" which was viewed as a jibe at The Rangers. :top marks

Bayern Bru
20-12-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm a sure a lower league team referred to them as a new team and either listed no trophies won or just the lower leagues won under their honours section in their programme. I'm not sure if they directly used 'The' though.

This season Dundee Utd played Linfield in the Irn-Bru Cup and referred to Linfield in the programme as "the most successful team in the world still in existence" which was viewed as a jibe at The Rangers. :top marks

Was Montrose, and they were referred to as 'The Rangers.'

“Playing their first season in Division Three, The Rangers are a newco of the now defunct Glasgow Rangers. Currently top of the table, they will be hoping to go on to seal the title and clinch their first silverware.”

Article here. (https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers-fans-call-for-apology-after-montrose-programme-s-newco-jibe-1-2694792)

Plus the Falkirk announcer got binned for referring to them as the 'Sevco Franchise' when he was reading out the half time scores.

Smartie
20-12-2017, 01:31 PM
I think the announcer at Falkirk got his jotters for calling them "The Sevco franchise".

CropleyWasGod
20-12-2017, 01:31 PM
I’ve no idea what the big fear is about calling The Rangers ‘The Rangers.’ It the official name of the club so what’s the problem. Only in Scotland have we got this fear about change and how it would upset some knuckle dragging fat faced tit of a supporter from the West.

Rangers DIED as a club, they then applied as ‘The Rangers’ so should be adressed by that very name.

Does anyone, apart from Rod at the AGM, refer to us as "The Hibernian"? :wink:

Billy McKirdy
20-12-2017, 01:32 PM
i can’t understand why they don’t change the name to MK or Milton Keynes? I’m with Wimbledon on this one, I like Milton Keynes, have friends there and it’s a bit of a soulless new town but with lots of nice areas too and Staduim MK is a decent arena but the Dons part of their name is an insult to the original club.

iwasthere1972
20-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Remember when the scoreboard in the away end just referred to our opponents as 'The Visitors

danhibees1875
20-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Does anyone, apart from Rod at the AGM, refer to us as "The Hibernian"? :wink:

Aye, my The rangers pals who seen that on our accounts. :greengrin

A Livingston programme also had a wee bit of fun with "The rangers" a few years back. :agree:

ancient hibee
20-12-2017, 01:57 PM
i can’t understand why they don’t change the name to MK or Milton Keynes? I’m with Wimbledon on this one, I like Milton Keynes, have friends there and it’s a bit of a soulless new town but with lots of nice areas too and Staduim MK is a decent arena but the Dons part of their name is an insult to the original club.
Surely MK Dons are the original club.

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Remember when the scoreboard in the away end just referred to our opponents as 'The Visitors

That was Mowbrays idea.

Agree there's no need for the Dons part anymore.

Billy McKirdy
20-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Surely MK Dons are the original club.

I know legally they’re the original club but weren’t the trophy’s and history transferred to the ‘Phoenix’ club some years after the move? I mean AFC Wimbledon in that respect as the original club

AndyM_1875
20-12-2017, 02:33 PM
I know legally they’re the original club but weren’t the trophy’s and history transferred to the ‘Phoenix’ club some years after the move? I mean AFC Wimbledon in that respect as the original club

All the history of Wimbledon FC is with AFC Wimbledon. A Wimbledon fan I met sees no difference in the original club and AFC.

MK Dons don't lay claim on any of the original club's history even though technically and legally they could.

My_Wife_Camille
20-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Wasn’t The Rangers not only their name for a few weeks until they bought the right to just use Rangers again?

CropleyWasGod
20-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Wasn’t The Rangers not only their name for a few weeks until they bought the right to just use Rangers again?

They bought the badges, and other intangibles, for a fiver.

However, the legal name remains "The Rangers Football Club Limited". Just like we are "The Hibernian....".:greengrin

Bostonhibby
20-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Whatever sevco chose to call themselves post their decision to liquidate I like the idea of always regarding the tribute club as the entity that replaced the now defunct Glasgow rangers, whatever they want to call it.

On the original point, I'm with AFC Wimbledon whatever the issue.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
20-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Rangers have been calling themselves The Rangers for a lifetime. If we think we are having a dig at them by prefixing 'The', then we need to try harder.

Bostonhibby
20-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Rangers have been calling themselves The Rangers for a lifetime. If we think we are having a dig at them by prefixing 'The', then we need to try harder.Interesting, genuinely never knew that. Team that replaced the now defuncts it is then[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
20-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Rangers have been calling themselves The Rangers for a lifetime. If we think we are having a dig at them by prefixing 'The', then we need to try harder.

One of my favourite, most subtle ways to have a dig at them is to stick an extra "The" in there though. There's always been The Dons, The Hibs, The Hearts, The Rangers.

Only since 2012 have you been able to see the The Rangers.

Bristolhibby
20-12-2017, 04:26 PM
One of my favourite, most subtle ways to have a dig at them is to stick an extra "The" in there though. There's always been The Dons, The Hibs, The Hearts, The Rangers.

Only since 2012 have you been able to see the The Rangers.

Yes, this is one of my more effective wind ups of my Hun mates.

J

Hibs4185
20-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I’m sure the business is called Rangers International Football Club. I think I can also remember at their AGM the screen behind the directors showing Rangers International.

Can we not call them Rangers International?

CropleyWasGod
20-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I’m sure the business is called Rangers International Football Club. I think I can also remember at their AGM the screen behind the directors showing Rangers International.

Can we not call them Rangers International?

That's the holding company that owns the company that operates the fitba club. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC437060

The latter is The Rangers Football Club Limited.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC425159

Tomsk
20-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Yes, this is one of my more effective wind ups of my Hun mates.

J

I don't have any Hun mates. :coffee:

Skol
20-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Remember in the days before tannoys and there was an old board with letters and numbers and they put half time scores up, but you had to buy a programme to know who AvB and CvD was etc

If you were lucky some guy on the terracing near you had a transistor radio (headphones didnt exist) and you tried to get close enough to hear the half time scores and reports

Smartie
20-12-2017, 08:11 PM

You should get some.

I've had some great times with mine over the past 5 years.

They don't refer to them as "the banter years" on Pie and Bovril for nothing.

bod
20-12-2017, 08:20 PM

We should revert back to that

hibsdaft
20-12-2017, 08:24 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42425465you can see why the EFL has decided to fine them.

I don't.

Skol
20-12-2017, 08:25 PM
In fact there was a game in the league cup not long after the scoreboard was installed and towards the end of the game, the goalscorer, willie irvine, was awarded MOTM known that night as Mr Superfit,

The scoreboard had shown:

Hibernian 1
Visitors 0

Then showed

Mr Superfit
Willie Irvine

And then tried to go back to the score but showed

Mr Superfit 1
Willie Irvine 0

AngloHibs
20-12-2017, 08:55 PM
All the history of Wimbledon FC is with AFC Wimbledon. A Wimbledon fan I met sees no difference in the original club and AFC.

MK Dons don't lay claim on any of the original club's history even though technically and legally they could.

I'm not sure you're correct re the history. As far as I am aware, Wimbledon FC's memorabilia (FA Cup replica etc) is on display in Merton library, not at Kingsmeadow.

Incidentally, I don't get the hatred for MK Dons, compared to AFC Wimbledon. The old Wimbledon was dying on its arse trying to stay in South London. Relocating up the M1 was radical, but it was the only offer on the table, and the only way to keep the club running in some form. AFC Wimbledon, meanwhile, have never even played in Wimbledon (the expected stadium development is beside the point), and have effectively evicted Kingstonian FC from their own ground.

MKHIBEE
20-12-2017, 09:11 PM

I don’t have any mates

Tomsk
20-12-2017, 10:50 PM
I don’t have any mates

Come to think of it ...

:paranoid:

NAE NOOKIE
21-12-2017, 03:05 AM
I don't know why MK Dons don't just drop the Dons part of their name anyway .... they seem happy to let AFC Wimbledon lay claim to the FA cup won back in the day so why not just go the whole hog.

For me the Dons bit just contributes to an identity crisis insomuch as the good folk of Milton Keynes who support the club have no connection to the old Wimbledon FC or London for that matter so for them the Dons bit seems pretty redundant anyway.

AngloHibs
21-12-2017, 05:50 AM
I don't know why MK Dons don't just drop the Dons part of their name anyway .... they seem happy to let AFC Wimbledon lay claim to the FA cup won back in the day so why not just go the whole hog.

For me the Dons bit just contributes to an identity crisis insomuch as the good folk of Milton Keynes who support the club have no connection to the old Wimbledon FC or London for that matter so for them the Dons bit seems pretty redundant anyway.

Fair point, but there are some supporters of Wimbledon FC who continue to support the club in its new guise and location. The 'Dons' moniker maintains a link with the club's history.
Just to put it into context, Wimbledon FC didn't go out of business, they moved in order to survive. It could be argued that their claim to the name 'Dons' is greater than Sevco's claim to the name 'Rangers.
Meanwhile, a new club that has never played in Wimbledon, and has evicted a non-League club from their own ground, is seen by many as the good guys in all this.