PDA

View Full Version : Scott Bain

mentalhibee
19-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Hibs in for Scott Bain according to the evening news. Would be delighted if we signed him.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Good goal keeper him.

bigwheel
19-12-2017, 04:04 PM
A Hibee too - I think ...

Fuzzywuzzy
19-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Hearts are after him too allegedly. If we got him who'd be out the door?

.Sean.
19-12-2017, 04:10 PM
He's Hearts so no ta.

Thecat23
19-12-2017, 04:11 PM
A Hibee too - I think ...

Huge Jambo, trust me on that. Really nice guy though.

Smartie
19-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Would be very happy with that.

We don't have a bad record with Jambos playing for us.

JimBHibees
19-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Would be a decent signing IMO. Dont care who he supported as a kid.

Michael
19-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Bit surprising. Rocky and Laidlaw seem good enough to be honest.

Pretty Boy
19-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Dundee want him out the door so should be easy enough to deal with if the rumour is accurate. I think we made a speculative enquiry in the summer if Rocky hadn't been available.

I think we need genuine competition for the gloves so would be happy enough to sign a proven, decent Premiership keeper.

Thecat23
19-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Laidlaw has a bad injury.

JimboHibs
19-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Laidlaw has a bad injury.

Plus he's terrible.

JimBHibees
19-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Plus he's terrible.

Certainly not terrible has had some decent solid games but the semi final certainly wasnt one of them.

HoboHarry
19-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Plus he's terrible.
Nonsense. No he isn't.....

Thecat23
19-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Plus he's terrible.

Far from terrible.

JimboHibs
19-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Nonsense. No he isn't.....

Oh yes he is....

Pretty Boy
19-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Plus he's terrible.

Not terrible. Very decent back up but I'd struggle to see him as a number 1.

MyJo
19-12-2017, 04:33 PM

We've had the u-19 keeper on the bench for the last few weeks so something must be keeping Laidlaw from being in the team.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2017, 04:35 PM
We've had the u-19 keeper on the bench for the last few weeks so something must be keeping Laidlaw from being in the team.

Shoulder injury

JimBHibees
19-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Not terrible. Very decent back up but I'd struggle to see him as a number 1.

Fair summation I think.

Jumbo
19-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Oh yes he is....

Pantomime season is here 😁

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Oh yes he is....

Hibs.net showing again that opinions can indeed be wrong.

Smartie
19-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Pantomime season is here 😁

Oh no it isn't.

Jonnyboy
19-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Silverhibee and I were banging on about signing him when he was at Alloa. Remember though, if he signs and he’s gash we never did any such thing :greengrin

high bee
19-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Was he not giving us grief the last time we played them and someone said it was cause he’s a Jambo.

silverhibee
19-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Plus he's terrible.

Really.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Plus he's terrible.

Harsh, he's not that bad.

Stuart93
19-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Marciano been VERY suspect the past few weeks, went right off the boil

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2017, 06:48 PM
He only had a future at Dens if McCann couldn't turn things around. Their upturn in fortunes means he is on his way.

Hi Heid Yin
19-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Marciano been VERY suspect the past few weeks, went right off the boil

Rocky has indeed been poor these past few games and he really needs a wee break to relieve the pressure.
Laidlaw is good but currently injured and Bain is an even better keeper and certainly up to matching and surpassing Rocky in the goal keeper stakes.

Nevi_SOL
19-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Oh no it isn't.

Oh yes it is

silverhibee
19-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Silverhibee and I were banging on about signing him when he was at Alloa. Remember though, if he signs and he’s gash we never did any such thing :greengrin

Can I change my mind :greengrin

Zazu62
19-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Rocky has indeed been poor these past few games and he really needs a wee break to relieve the pressure.
Laidlaw is good but currently injured and Bain is an even better keeper and certainly up to matching and surpassing Rocky in the goal keeper stakes.

I don’t buy this needs a wee break thing, why does he need a break? He’s meant to be our number 1 keeper. Isn’t he on a 4 year deal? If he can’t handle being a Hibs player he shouldn’t be here If he can’t handle pressure

Speedway
19-12-2017, 08:33 PM
I don’t buy this needs a wee break thing, why does he need a break? He’s meant to be our number 1 keeper. Isn’t he on a 4 year deal? If he can’t handle being a Hibs player he shouldn’t be here If he can’t handle pressure

Absolutely. Marciano needs to take a break from making costly mistakes as do other players.

monarch
19-12-2017, 08:47 PM
He's Hearts so no ta.

So what, Hearts goalie is a Hibby. Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Jason Cummings and David Gray all had their moments with us.

J-C
19-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Rocky doesn't need a break, he needs competition and Bain will give him that. Laidlaw was purely a back up, he was never going to oust Rocky as no.1.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Rocky doesn't need a break, he needs competition and Bain will give him that. Laidlaw was purely a back up, he was never going to oust Rocky as no.1.

I keep hearing this about players, how they need a bit of competition for their place.

Who were the players behind Herriot Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton Black and Blackley, Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan?

Who was Nick Colgans deputy, or Ray Clemence or Peter Shilton's, even Andy Goram?

Players are either good enough or they are not in my opinion.

Thecat23
19-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Spot on, always healthy to have players know they can be replaced if standards drop. Bain will be a great addition if we can get him in.

Firestarter
19-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Bain would be a class signing. He is a Jambo though although he's not an ********.

brog
19-12-2017, 10:06 PM
I keep hearing this about players, how they need a bit of competition for their place.

Who were the players behind Herriot Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton Black and Blackley, Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan?

Who was Nick Colgans deputy, or Ray Clemence or Peter Shilton's, even Andy Goram?

Pretty much agree with this G but keeper is a unique position. Re the Tornadoes that you quote then Hamilton, Hazel & Higgins were the obvious replacements to the status quo. Des Bremner then came along & unlike a keeper Des could play full back or in midfield. There's no hiding place for Rocky, he's either good enouğh or he's not
Talk of competition is IMO irrelevant.
Unfortunately i believe the latter is the case. Im not a huge fan of Bain but i think he would be better than Rocky.

hibsbollah
19-12-2017, 10:14 PM
He's been at the Kevin Thomson academy helping out this week. A good guy by all accounts.

bingo70
19-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Most footballers play football on Saturdays so the likelihood of any of them being a diehard for any team is pretty small.

I personally don’t care who any of our players supported as kids, means nothing imo

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Pretty much agree with this G but keeper is a unique position. Re the Tornadoes that you quote then Hamilton, Hazel & Higgins were the obvious replacements to the status quo. Des Bremner then came along & unlike a keeper Des could play full back or in midfield. There's no hiding place for Rocky, he's either good enouğh or he's not
Talk of competition is IMO irrelevant.
Unfortunately i believe the latter is the case. Im not a huge fan of Bain but i think he would be better than Rocky.

:agree:

Not seen anything much of Bain, so i cant really comment on him.

When like you i watched the tornadoes, when either Edwards was suspended, or Cropley was injured indeed any of that 11 did not play, i bet like me you thought oh christ whoever we bring in is nowhere near as good as the player he was replacing.

That team had no back up players, no players who were there putting pressure on their place. Neither did any of the other players i mentioned.

Who is the player putting pressure on John McGinn?

brog
19-12-2017, 10:48 PM

When like you i watched the tornadoes, when either Edwards was suspended, or Cropley was injured indeed any of that 11 did not play, i bet like me you thought oh christ whoever we bring in is nowhere near as good as the player he was replacing.

That team had no back up players, no players who were there putting pressure on their place. Neither did any of the other players i mentioned.

Hard to argue. We lost Brownlie & Edwards, ludicrously, on Jan 6 & fell apart. It was a different world then though, the same 11 players were expected to play week in week out. I remember reading that in 50's I think we played the same 11 players 3 times in 4 days at new year. No subs allowed. We won 2, drew 1, clean sheets 3!

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Hard to argue. We lost Brownlie & Edwards, ludicrously, on Jan 6 & fell apart. It was a different world then though, the same 11 players were expected to play week in week out. I remember reading that in 50's I think we played the same 11 players 3 times in 4 days at new year. No subs allowed. We won 2, drew 1, clean sheets 3!

In those days a suspension was days not games, and Edwards was suspended for ages, was it 40 odd days? That and Brownlies injury handed the title to celtic. :boo hoo:

Borderhibbie76
20-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Plus he's terrible.No he isn't...get a grip

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 12:13 AM
He's been at the Kevin Thomson academy helping out this week. A good guy by all accounts.

He's desperate to sign for us and is being ripped about it. I think it's a goer which I'll be delighted with. If anything it might be the end of that pesky Israeli flag.

dp00
20-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Do we know what the issue is with him and McCann ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_
20-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Peter Shilton was Gordon Banks back up at Leicester and Chris Woods was Shilton's own deputy at Forest. Bruce Grobbelaar came in for Ray Clemance when he left for Spurs and Tommy Lawrence was the Liverpool No1 when Ray Clemance came to the fore. :greengrin

Brooster
20-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Too many mistakes from both. New GK required.

neil7908
20-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Evening News saying we're definitely looking at him.

hibsbollah
20-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Evening News saying we're definitely looking at him.

I like that he was dropped for falling out with that anus Neil McCann. Reflects well on him.

Agnes Gordon
Too many mistakes from both. New GK required.

Nail on the head here

California-Hibs
We don’t need a goalkeeper, we have 2 perfectly capable.

neil7908
20-12-2017, 08:25 AM

Apparently Laidlaw is out for around 2-3 months though. If Rocky was to then suffer an injury we'd be struggling.

I don't necessarily want to see either of our current keepers leave but with one injured and the other in a bad patch of form I don't think another option is a terrible idea.

Heisenberg
20-12-2017, 08:26 AM

We’ve only got one just now who is going through a bit of a rough patch. Laidlaw is out injured long term. Both can be very good and have won us points with some incredible saves, but both have also cost us soft goals as well with some suspect goalkeeping. If Bain is an option i’d sign him no questions asked.

J-C
20-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Nothing like good healthy competition for places G, look at the top teams in the EPL, their benches would walk into any teams starting 11. Back in the days you're on about we had a starting 11 plus 4-5, then a group of youngsters/reserves, the 1st team squad would play nearly every game if possible. Having good competition is good for he squad, keeps the players on their toes, they'll know if they're not performing there's someone champing at the bit to take their place.

brog
20-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Peter Shilton was Gordon Banks back up at Leicester and Chris Woods was Shilton's own deputy at Forest. Bruce Grobbelaar came in for Ray Clemance when he left for Spurs and Tommy Lawrence was the Liverpool No1 when Ray Clemance came to the fore. :greengrin

Of course Liverpool really broke the mould when they paid several million for 2 keepers, Dudek & Kirkland, on the same day. Very strange that was.

Big_Franck
20-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I've never rated this boy and would be disappointed if this is the kind of player we are looking at. Dundee is about his level.

greenlex
20-12-2017, 12:31 PM
We’ve had tabs on Bain for a number of years. Tried to get him a couple of years ago.

CL0762
20-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Went to school with Bainy, he was in my year.

Definitely not the troublemaker he’s made out to be, think McCann tried to fine him wages for something and Scott went to the PFA about it and that’s why there’s a dispute.

No doubting his ability, he was by far and away MOTM against us up at Dens.

easty
20-12-2017, 12:43 PM
If we sign him, I reckon it'd only be 4-5 games before he's being slated on here, with folk asking what happened to the keeper who had a blinder against us at Dens....he had a good game then, he's a bang average keeper though.

For me, he'd be better than Laidlaw, but still not as good as Marciano.

Not In The Know
20-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Marciano hasn't made a decent save in 3 games.

Let alone a match winning one.

greenlex
20-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Let alone match winning one.

Rubbish. Made several in the Celtic game.

easty
20-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Wrong.

Iain G
20-12-2017, 01:03 PM
If we sign him, I reckon it'd only be 4-5 games before he's being slated on here, with folk asking what happened to the keeper who had a blinder against us at Dens....he had a good game then, he's a bang average keeper though.

For me, he'd be better than Laidlaw, but still not as good as Marciano.

Interesting that you think he would get as long as 4-5 games before being slated :greengrin

easty
20-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Interesting that you think he would get as long as 4-5 games before being slated :greengrin

good point! :greengrin

hibsbollah
20-12-2017, 01:43 PM
I quite like Rocky, although I'm disappointed with his recent mistakes. But I'm also a believer in Brian Clough's policy of building a team around a keeper as the most important player on the pitch, so if we were to invest in a better keeper id be all for going for it.

Hibeewilly
20-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Was he not giving us grief the last time we played them and someone said it was cause he’s a Jambo.
He gave us the fingers up at Dens........I'll forgive him that though as we badly need a goalie

basehibby
20-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Plus he's terrible.

WTF??? In all the games Laidlaw's played (and he's played quite a lot) I can only recall him having ONE bad game.

All that's terrible is your ability to assess a football player by the look of it - stupid comment totally divorced from reality.

If Laidlaw is out injured for an extended period then the move for Bain makes perfect sense - otherwise it would be surplus to requirements.

Iggy Pope
20-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Anyone who thinks Laidlaw is terrible clearly wasn't in Brondby, so now loses the right to comment and as such should bog off back to their own supporters forum.

The_Horde
20-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Anyone who thinks Laidlaw is terrible clearly wasn't in Brondby, so now loses the right to comment and as such should bog off back to their own supporters forum.

Can't remember much of him in brondby apart from looking suspect at the penalties?

Iggy Pope
20-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Can't remember much of him in brondby apart from looking suspect at the penalties?

Strong beer. Such a waste.

The_Horde
20-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Strong beer. Such a waste.

Not in the ground anyway. Cheap *****. Apt really..

Iggy Pope
20-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Not in the ground anyway. Cheap *****. Apt really..

Buy 4 get 1 free if I'm right. Whether it was apt I'm not so sure. Enjoyed seeing a Euro away shut out though.

The_Horde
20-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Buy 4 get 1 free if I'm right. Whether it was apt I'm not so sure. Enjoyed seeing a Euro away shut out though.

2 not very good goalies for the price of one is perhaps a bit more suited.

Unseen work
20-12-2017, 07:50 PM
I think he is overrated and prone to mistakes.

Nicho87
20-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Laidlaw is not for me.

edwards
20-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Said it on here a few weeks back

Nicho87
20-12-2017, 09:35 PM
We likely to pay any fee or is there any insider info on this one?

mim
20-12-2017, 10:05 PM
In those days a suspension was days not games, and Edwards was suspended for ages, was it 40 odd days? That and Brownlies injury handed the title to celtic. :boo hoo:

It was 56 days - ludicrous though that might seem today.
Onion broke a leg on the same day Micky was sent off against East Fife and our league challenge disintegrated after leading the league (and looking like winning it) at the time.

eastterrace
20-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Onion broke a leg on the same day Micky was sent off against East Fife and our league challenge disintegrated after leading the league (and looking like winning it) at the time.

Don’t think mickey got sent of in the east fife game sure it was against Aberdeen a few weeks later, that’s what I remember anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mim
20-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Don’t think mickey got sent of in the east fife game sure it was against Aberdeen a few weeks later, that’s what I remember anyway

You are probably right. I just remember the leg break and suspension happening about the same time. :wink:

Borderhibbie76
20-12-2017, 10:20 PM

Let alone a match winning one.Utter nonsense had several against Celtic but don't let the facts get in the way of bashing one of our own

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

eastterrace
20-12-2017, 10:22 PM
You are probably right. I just remember the leg break and suspension happening about the same time. :wink:

Just looked back on Wikipedia and it says he was booked 4 times and got banned but I’m sure he got sent off and with the bookings he had they hammered him with that 8week suspension. Mind my memory a wee bit clouded tho

ancient hibee
20-12-2017, 10:29 PM
He got his fourth booking of the season against East Fife.Lovehad kicked him up and down the park without sanction apart from the odd free kick.Love lunged at Edwards again and Edwards skipped past him and into the box so the referee decided to give us a foul.Edwards picked up the ball and threw it down in disgust So was booked and as quickly as they could manage suspended for 8 weeks

eastterrace
20-12-2017, 10:38 PM
He got his fourth booking of the season against East Fife.Lovehad kicked him up and down the park without sanction apart from the odd free kick.Love lunged at Edwards again and Edwards skipped past him and into the box so the referee decided to give us a foul.Edwards picked up the ball and threw it down in disgust So was booked and as quickly as they could manage suspended for 8 weeks

Now you saying that , it kinda coming back to me , he was kicked up and down by love that day and the suspension was because of his previous misdemeanours. Some reason I mind chic mcleland of Aberdeen getting him sent off , might have been a different season