PDA

View Full Version : Crossing, shooting and finishing

eastcoasthibby
18-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Crossing, shooting, finishing and set pieces ...
For the rest of this week I hope the coaching/training is based around these as when it comes to games our players abilities to deliver on these are pretty woeful ...for the amount of possession in the last third of the park that we have the return rate of getting a good end result is pretty awful. So for xmas I would like a much more clinical team in the last third of the pitch and lets see where that takes us in the league.

Phil MaGlass
18-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Set pieces have been f,n dire, cannot believe a team with so much quality cant take even half decent free kicks, beyond belief, some of the free kicks taken against the gruesome twosome were of school kid proportion. Sorry, not some but all of the free kicks.

ajf
18-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Marciano manages to land every bye kick on the opposing teams left centre backs head , every time ,every game , wonderful trick .:confused:

ancient hibee
18-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Free kicks aren’t great but to be fair it’s also because the players in the box don’t attack them.Against Rangers McGinn put one in the perfect spot.It bounced about 10 yards out but nobody went for it.

NAE NOOKIE
18-12-2017, 11:29 AM
We don't get midfield players attacking the box, so all Boyle and Barker have to aim at is Murray or Stokes most of the time. We don't shoot from distance nearly enough, the few times we do it pays off, which you would think would encourage us to do it more ... McGinn scored two crackers at Celtic from outside the box and only a great save stopped him doing the same at Aberdeen. Barker hit both posts with efforts from 18 yards or more against the Huns.

As for Marciano, when he hits it long he has nothing to aim at ... neither Murray or Stokes is going to beat most of the centre halves in this league to a long ball from the keeper. If Gray or Whittaker are on the pitch that's where he aims because Gray is actually pretty good in the air and Whittaker has the height to compete for the ball.

When it comes to free kicks ..... It always amazes me that guys who spend every day of their lives with a ball at their feet are incapable of getting a 25 yard free kick over the wall and on target. In my opinion if you are good enough at football that someone is actually prepared to pay you to do it for a living there are certain skills you should be able to perfect and that's one of them.

Lago
18-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Funny I was thinking about this last night while watching MoTD2. West Brom were taking corners that absolutely terrified Man. U. Also their crosses into the box were accurate & dangerous. Contrast that with Hibs efforts on Sat. 7 corners &I can't remember one causing Aberdeen a problem.

SChibs
18-12-2017, 11:35 AM
We don't get midfield players attacking the box, so all Boyle and Barker have to aim at is Murray or Stokes most of the time. We don't shoot from distance nearly enough, the few times we do it pays off, which you would think would encourage us to do it more ... McGinn scored two crackers at Celtic from outside the box and only a great save stopped him doing the same at Aberdeen. Barker hit both posts with efforts from 18 yards or more against the Huns.

As for Marciano, when he hits it long he has nothing to aim at ... neither Murray or Stokes is going to beat most of the centre halves in this league to a long ball from the keeper. If Gray or Whittaker are on the pitch that's where he aims because Gray is actually pretty good in the air and Whittaker has the height to compete for the ball.

When it comes to free kicks ..... It always amazes me that guys who spend every day of their lives with a ball at their feet are incapable of getting a 25 yard free kick over the wall and on target. In my opinion if you are good enough at football that someone is actually prepared to pay you to do it for a living there are certain skills you should be able to perfect and that's one of them.

Every player can get a 25 yard free kick on target. But that's not gonna beat the keeper. It needs to be hit hard and accurately which is much more difficult.

NAE NOOKIE
18-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Every player can get a 25 yard free kick on target. But that's not gonna beat the keeper. It needs to be hit hard and accurately which is much more difficult.

It was mastering that difficulty I was meaning ..... the technique of how to do that is available on a million clips of the worlds best free kick takers, even then I don't expect every free kick to test the keeper, but IMO a professional player should have the ability to master that technique enough to make at least one out of every two a goal threat.

easty
18-12-2017, 12:28 PM
I hope we're working on these in training tae...but fact is the only 3 teams who've scored more than us, are the 3 teams above us in the league, and we've scored in all but one of our league games this season.

renato
18-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Our biggest issue offensively is 2nd balls IMO ie no runners anticipating where a corner or cross is going to fall, once the defender has won the initial contact. Either poor anticipation or instructions limiting the runners (unlikely). It’s probably where we need SJM to be gambling, as opposed to taking all the set pieces

wookie70
18-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I would rather we worked on shape and formation first. If a premiership player can't hit a dead ball after years of training I doubt he will learn in a week. Lennon needs to give us a shape filled with round pegs in round holes as much as possible. He needs to make that shape work for us and against County.

JDHibs
18-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Defensively organisation & communication. In open play we are a shambles. Lose our shape continually.

If players are running at the defence, they have no idea who to mark or how to stay in shape. Midfields never pick up the runners either. Its the basics for god sake. Really need a vocal commanding centre half, which would appear we dont have. Hanlons to quiet and hesitates too much. Give McGregor the armband and put him in charge of the back line. Hes no nonsense and gets the job done more times than not.

Conceding 8 goals in 3 games against teams we are supposed to be challenging is shocking.

As someone else said, if these players can hit a decent free kick or corner at this stage in their career then they have no hope. Focus on the basics and things we can change.

ancient hibee
18-12-2017, 03:03 PM
The defensive record has been very good this season until recently when McGregor returned.Any connection?

JimBHibees
18-12-2017, 03:07 PM
The defensive record has been very good this season until recently when McGregor returned.Any connection?

Not sure he has been at fault for any of the goals we lost last week.

ancient hibee
18-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Didn’t say he was but you have to look at thevdefence as a unit don’t you.

JimBHibees
18-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Didn’t say he was but you have to look at thevdefence as a unit don’t you.

Yes you do however the goals we have lost have been a combination of individual errors from other defenders and the goalie

easty
18-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Not sure he has been at fault for any of the goals we lost last week.

Are you kidding? He defended like a Sunday morning league pub team player, who'd turned up straight from a house party, for the Aberdeen second goal, it was absolutley shocking defending.

JimBHibees
18-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Are you kidding? He defended like a Sunday morning league pub team player, who'd turned up straight from a house party, for the Aberdeen second goal, it was absolutley shocking defending.

Slight over reaction, he didnt do great however there were other mistakes in the goal. Barker losing the ball and Rocky not stopping a tame shot being two off the top of my head.

JDHibs
18-12-2017, 03:31 PM
No. Cant blame Darren.

Its experienced players making silly amateur individual errors.

Whittaker making it too easy for Sinclair too cut in x2
Ambrose coming out from defence and missing a header for Windass' goal.
Hanlon diving in on Morelos.
Rocky not covering his near post against the Huns.
McGeouch/Bartley/McGinn not tracking Shinnies run.
McGregor weak in the tackle for GMS first.
Rocky trying to anticipate AGAIN instead of trying to save the ball.
Ambrose being too casual for for GMS 2nd.
Whittaker losing GMS for the 4th, too busy trying to claim offside.

These goals arent because the other team have scored screamers. This is down to our players not doing what they should be doing.

Never dive into a tackle in the box. Stand tall and firm.
Always cover your near post.
Always force your opponent onto their weaker foot.
Track the runners.
Be strong in the tackle.
Dont piss about with the ball at the back
Concentrate on the game and dont wait on the whistle.

ITS THE BASICS for god sake. You are taught this at U10s!

easty
18-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Slight over reaction, he didnt do great however there were other mistakes in the goal. Barker losing the ball and Rocky not stopping a tame shot being two off the top of my head.

I don't think it is an overreaction, it was an abysmal attempt at defending. It's not like I'm saying he's a bad defender, he's not, he's a very good centre half, but that was shocking. He can see GMS in front of him, unmarked on the edge of the box but he stands well off, then it's like he has weights in his boots, feet planted and moving nowhere, then when he's megged he turns about as quickly as my gran.

Aye, there were other mistakes, that doesn't detract from McGregor's part in it though.

He'll do better against Ross County, and he'll score against Hearts though :aok:

Saint Hibee
18-12-2017, 04:12 PM
I’ve heard that Celtic have a young player who’s surplus to requirements but can whip in a great cross. Liam something or other...

hibspayne
18-12-2017, 04:15 PM
At the game on Wednesday night, and our corners were unbelievable, i dont mind us taking a short corner but we took one when both Efe and Hanlon were tying there laces!!!!! so we had 2 player's max looking for the ball in box!!! Simple is sometimes better...wait until all players are ready!!!

#RantOver

Lang Toun hibby
18-12-2017, 04:32 PM
At the game on Wednesday night, and our corners were unbelievable, i dont mind us taking a short corner but we took one when both Efe and Hanlon were tying there laces!!!!! so we had 2 player's max looking for the ball in box!!! Simple is sometimes better...wait until all players are ready!!!

#RantOver

Agree the corners are pathetic, Why SJM takes them all the time when we have supposedly two wingers I don't know. Also we should always have a man on the D both when taking and defending corners. Invariably the ball is cleared to that area.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-12-2017, 04:49 PM
No. Cant blame Darren.

Its experienced players making silly amateur individual errors.

Whittaker making it too easy for Sinclair too cut in x2
Ambrose coming out from defence and missing a header for Windass' goal.
Hanlon diving in on Morelos.
Rocky not covering his near post against the Huns.
McGeouch/Bartley/McGinn not tracking Shinnies run.
McGregor weak in the tackle for GMS first.
Rocky trying to anticipate AGAIN instead of trying to save the ball.
Ambrose being too casual for for GMS 2nd.
Whittaker losing GMS for the 4th, too busy trying to claim offside.

These goals arent because the other team have scored screamers. This is down to our players not doing what they should be doing.

Never dive into a tackle in the box. Stand tall and firm.
Always cover your near post.
Always force your opponent onto their weaker foot.
Track the runners.
Be strong in the tackle.
Dont piss about with the ball at the back
Concentrate on the game and dont wait on the whistle.

ITS THE BASICS for god sake. You are taught this at U10s!

Come on, if it was this easy nobody would ever score.

I agree we have made defensive mistakes, but no team can, or will wver eradicate all goals against them.

gaz1875
18-12-2017, 10:20 PM
What about the amount of ridiculous quick free kicks, they are taken so quick the receivers are often not even looking!! I am all for quick free kicks but ffs John McGinn, if he does find a Hibs player he is normally surrounded by other players!!!

hhibs
18-12-2017, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=gaz1875;5251736]What about the amount of ridiculous quick free kicks, they are taken so quick the receivers are often not even looking!! I am all for quick free kicks but ffs John McGinn, if he does find a Hibs player he is normally surrounded by other players!!![/QUO

And it seems to be getting worse ,week on week,our players seem incapable of getting the basics right,free kicks,throw ins,corners ...............what the hell they do in training is beyond me,and,just for the cherry on top ,I am seeing signs of a lack of fitness or worse,lazyness ,to get back into supporting positions.IMO

In short I am pissed off !