PDA

View Full Version : Players heaped huge pressure on themselves now

madhatter
17-12-2017, 02:02 PM
With Celtic deciding not to turn up like us and Hearts looking likely to get another win, we are stuttering to a halt. People saying yesterday was a freak result, I'd ask them to check our results for the last 6. We've been really quite poor for a while. We are starting to look like a John Hughes team, plenty possession, some nice passing but ultimately going nowhere.

If we lose next week, the Derby is going to be massive. Even if we win next week, the pressure is on!

I personally think we'll finish 6th. I really wish there was someone who would genuinely invest in Hibs as you can see the solidity and calibre of player Aberdeen have all over their park and on the bench. They've got about 4 strikers and have a genuine nuisance in Rooney who starts most games.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-12-2017, 02:09 PM
So, Celtic getting pumped means we're stuttering to a halt, we've just played the top 3 in the space of a week, calm down a bit.

keep the faith
17-12-2017, 02:09 PM
With Celtic deciding not to turn up like us and Hearts looking likely to get another win, we are stuttering to a halt. People saying yesterday was a freak result, I'd ask them to check our results for the last 6. We've been really quite poor for a while. We are starting to look like a John Hughes team, plenty possession, some nice passing but ultimately going nowhere.

If we lose next week, the Derby is going to be massive. Even if we win next week, the pressure is on!

I personally think we'll finish 6th. I really wish there was someone who would genuinely invest in Hibs as you can see the solidity and calibre of player Aberdeen have all over their park and on the bench. They've got about 4 strikers and have a genuine nuisance in Rooney who starts most games.

Honestly mate. That post is so knee jerk and quite embarrassing. We were brilliant against the old firm but had a bad day at Aberdeen. Calm down and keep the faith.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I'm not that pessimistic yet, but if it does happen, we do have previous for collapsing about this time of year, looking forward to seeing how the manager and players react after yesterday. We'll learn a lot about them as a group in the coming few weeks.

stantonhibby
17-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Great thread

Heisenberg
17-12-2017, 02:12 PM
The Hearts result today is going to make folk panic on here even more. Calm down.

Also, why are folk so determined to randomly look at the last 6 games?

Scouse Hibee
17-12-2017, 02:13 PM

It's not a case of Celtic not turning up, it's Hearts who had a game plan and have played it to perfection, better team by a mile today due to the massive effort, energy and purpose they have displayed.Well beaten by a better team on the day.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2017, 02:15 PM
The only one heaping pressure on anyone is some of the supporters with their knee jerk reactions. :rolleyes:

cleanyman
17-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Derby is a different game

The Celtic were due a doing. They have been mince all season

murray26
17-12-2017, 02:17 PM
The Hearts result today is going to make folk panic on here even more. Calm down.

It’s current form m8.. it’s relevant.. if we play like we did yesterday and they play like they did today it won’t be pretty.. huge wake up call needed.. only 3 points seperate us.

Borderhibbie76
17-12-2017, 02:20 PM
This is a bit embarrassing...Hearts winning today has no bearing on our last few results. Yes it's disappointing we've shipped an 11 point lead over them to 3...but all is not lost. This team has proven time and again it can bounce back so let's give the manager's and the players a chance Ah?? Unlike some on here...I was never as convinced as some that hearts were that bad...and the derbies were always going to be tough anyway...but we've shown we have what it takes in these fixtures before

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
17-12-2017, 02:20 PM
If we go back to our game against Celtic they scored after a shot hit the post and unlike ours against Rangers fell helpfully and with a deflection.Marciano had about one good save like the Hearts goalie today.It was always going to be a tough Derby so this changes nothing.

Nameless
17-12-2017, 02:26 PM
if we play like we did yesterday and they play like they did today it won’t be pretty

If we play like we did on Wed, and they play like they did today, we will win.

It's all about perspective. Why focus on an off day at Pittodrie, rather than take heart from the many games this season in which we have looked good.

Yes, we are capable of being awful, but we are just as likely to be phenomenal.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Well .... if there's one thing we can take out of this weekend its that complacency wont be a factor on the 27th.

Baader
17-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Well .... if there's one thing we can take out of this weekend its that complacency wont be a factor on the 27th.

Exactly. Just concentrate on playing our game. We have the better players. They need to perform.

madhatter
17-12-2017, 03:10 PM
We played well against the old firm and got 1 point. Fair enough we were robbed against Rangers but argument sake we probably did the same to Celtic (didn't really deserve a point). Against Aberdeen we were totally outplayed.

Lets be honest, most of our wins have been close (scoreline wise). We've outplayed quite a few teams but still the scoreline could go either way. When we don't play well we almost always lose, and quite commonly by a handsome margin.

The problem is really - we play well and can narrowly win games if everything goes the correct way or if something doesn't quite go right we generally draw or can even lose. Other teams in this league however, play well and win almost 9/10, even while playing horrendously poor they can still win. My concern is this team are better at getting draws in tight games but ultimately I don't think are better at getting 3 points in tight games. Our record shows that we are due for a 5th-6th place finish. I point to our last 6 games because - win 2-1 against Dundee, lose 1-2 to St Johnstone, draw against Hamilton, win narrowly against Partick, draw against Celtic, lose 1-2 against Rangers, thrashed 4-1 by Aberdeen. I don't see any 3-0 to Hibs in that run and lets be honest apart from having more possession, ignoring the Old Firm matches, we didn't dominate territory and have 30 shots a match from close range.

We had a fairly solid defence towards the start of the season that is starting to become a shambles, and all season long we've struggled to score goals.

Mobility in the centre of midfield is a problem, that was evident against Aberdeen. Shinnie, McLean, Christie are more mobile than McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley. Defence is horrendous now and we haven't been scoring many goals. Its a recipe for disaster.

I support the team but lets not blindly ignore the fact that we aren't that good. I hope Lennon shuts up about "2nd best team in the country" rubbish and improves this team. Possession doesn't win matches and our football hasn't been that great. You'd think we were Manchester City-esque...

Not being a bedwetter, being a realist. I'd be happy with 5th-6th this season but lets not continue to kid ourselves...we aren't very good. We've got two Lithuanian internationalists sitting on the bench and one is rumoured to be getting kicked in the January window. Recruitment has been disastrous this year so far.

500miles
17-12-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm looking forward to Ross County. This team have bounced back before.

Lancs Harp
17-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Looking for a big reaction on saturday, I've got every faith that we'll get one too.

:flag:

mcfly
17-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Calm doon son. You never thought we were maybe punching a bit too high and Aberdeen just gave us a reality check.

Were u at the rangers game??

Apart from two defensive mistakes we were excellent.

We create loads of chances and if we had a striker that could take them we would be fine.

Keep the faith and don’t panic

Earlydelivery
17-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Remember when Hearts played Motherwell last wk . 1 shot on target . We’ll be fine .

mcfly
17-12-2017, 03:25 PM
We played well against the old firm and got 1 point. Fair enough we were robbed against Rangers but argument sake we probably did the same to Celtic (didn't really deserve a point). Against Aberdeen we were totally outplayed.

Lets be honest, most of our wins have been close (scoreline wise). We've outplayed quite a few teams but still the scoreline could go either way. When we don't play well we almost always lose, and quite commonly by a handsome margin.

The problem is really - we play well and can narrowly win games if everything goes the correct way or if something doesn't quite go right we generally draw or can even lose. Other teams in this league however, play well and win almost 9/10, even while playing horrendously poor they can still win. My concern is this team are better at getting draws in tight games but ultimately I don't think are better at getting 3 points in tight games. Our record shows that we are due for a 5th-6th place finish. I point to our last 6 games because - win 2-1 against Dundee, lose 1-2 to St Johnstone, draw against Hamilton, win narrowly against Partick, draw against Celtic, lose 1-2 against Rangers, thrashed 4-1 by Aberdeen. I don't see any 3-0 to Hibs in that run and lets be honest apart from having more possession, ignoring the Old Firm matches, we didn't dominate territory and have 30 shots a match from close range.

We had a fairly solid defence towards the start of the season that is starting to become a shambles, and all season long we've struggled to score goals.

Mobility in the centre of midfield is a problem, that was evident against Aberdeen. Shinnie, McLean, Christie are more mobile than McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley. Defence is horrendous now and we haven't been scoring many goals. Its a recipe for disaster.

I support the team but lets not blindly ignore the fact that we aren't that good. I hope Lennon shuts up about "2nd best team in the country" rubbish and improves this team. Possession doesn't win matches and our football hasn't been that great. You'd think we were Manchester City-esque...

Not being a bedwetter, being a realist. I'd be happy with 5th-6th this season but lets not continue to kid ourselves...we aren't very good. We've got two Lithuanian internationalists sitting on the bench and one is rumoured to be getting kicked in the January window. Recruitment has been disastrous this year so far.

I think you need to stop slating this team.

Aren’t very good you say???

How many hibs teams have you seen son??

I remember all the really rubbish teams. With crowds of 4-5k

This is a good team, enjoy it. A couple of recruits in January and we are bang in there.

where'stheslope
17-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Good analogy of our team, yet we seem to always get more possession in games but don't appear to be able to turn it into straight wins?

Today's Hetz game, Celtic had more possession and more shots, but were beaten by finishing, putting the ball in the net!

Our main problem is getting our midfield to add goals to their game, and help take the pressure off the strikers!!!

JimboHibs
17-12-2017, 03:26 PM

The derby is massive regardless of upcoming results,never ever show fear playing that ****in shower of utter *****... FFS grow a set it's not Barcelona were playing it's ****ty HMFC.

easty
17-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Shiiiiiiiiite

Earlydelivery
17-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Remember when Hearts played Motherwell last wk . 1 shot on target . We’ll be fine .

easty
17-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Celtc fans are now petrified of playing rangers. After all they drew with us and got turned over today. They're obviously **** now, like us apparently

Thecat23
17-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Mind Hearts skelped The Rangers 4-0, did that make them a good team? Listen Celtic were due that simple as that, Hearts don’t lose many goals but I still think they’ll finish 6th at best. Saints away us and Dons away is tough.

SideBurns
17-12-2017, 03:45 PM
More accurately, the fans can heap huge pressure on the players; or, alternatively, we can get right behind them next Saturday, hope we get the 3 points then start preparing for a derby that we could win, lose, or draw - and all 3 outcomes would've been possible regardless of this weekend's results.

G B Young
17-12-2017, 03:45 PM

Nonsense. The overwhelming consensus in the summer was that we'd recruited better than ever before. Compare the sort of players we're bringing in now with the here today gone tomorrow signings made by Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher. It's night and day.

Speedway
17-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Ultimately I think that, if you look at our last 19 and a half games (some of which have been undeniably played at ER) and factor in how many of our players have been late for training and the fact that STF never wears a Hibs tie to the AGM....

THEN you look at the fact that we’re so desperate to take the piss out of Hearts that we’re shocked when they put a run of results together...

With those findings in mind, it’s hard to escape the outcome that unless we score more goals than Hearts when we play them, we’re going to stutter to a halt as far as getting three points in the league that day or progressing in the cup this season are concerned. There’s just no other way to look at it, however you look at it.

Bury your heads in the sand if you must happy clappers, but these are the hard cold inconvenient facts of the matter that can’t be ignored.

Heisenberg
17-12-2017, 03:52 PM
It’s current form m8.. it’s relevant.. if we play like we did yesterday and they play like they did today it won’t be pretty.. huge wake up call needed.. only 3 points seperate us.

Well...why only count our last 6 games? Why not our form in the last 10? Last 10 games form wise we are third in the league for what it’s worth. I want us to finish minimum top six this season. What Hearts do is irrelevant.

madhatter
17-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Calm doon son. You never thought we were maybe punching a bit too high and Aberdeen just gave us a reality check.

Were u at the rangers game??

Apart from two defensive mistakes we were excellent.

We create loads of chances and if we had a striker that could take them we would be fine.

Keep the faith and don’t panic

I was at the Rangers game. We made two defensive mistakes and lost the game. We hammered Rangers in terms of territory but couldn't score. You've just proven my point, we dominate games when we play well but can still fail to win. We rarely win when we have an "off" day and still struggle to turn draws into wins. We have improved at getting a draw from a losing position though.

wookie70
17-12-2017, 04:02 PM
More accurately, the fans can heap huge pressure on the players; or, alternatively, we can get right behind them next Saturday, hope we get the 3 points then start preparing for a derby that we could win, lose, or draw - and all 3 outcomes would've been possible regardless of this weekend's results.

The fans have been outstanding this year particularly at home. They were amazing at Pittordrie yesterday and in years gone by the team and managers would have been boo'ed off the park. Most clapped when the players came over in recognition of their efforts over the last few years I would imagine and in solidarity at a poor performance.

I doubt what we discuss here has much bearing on how the players perform and just because I post that I am concerned doesn't mean I don't turn up on a Saturday in good voice ready to support the players come what may.

we are hibs
17-12-2017, 04:05 PM
If we play like we did on Wed, and they play like they did today, we will win.

It's all about perspective. Why focus on an off day at Pittodrie, rather than take heart from the many games this season in which we have looked good.

Yes, we are capable of being awful, but we are just as likely to be phenomenal.

Youre first statement isnt true though is it? If they play like they did today they'll score four and if we play like we did on Wednesday we will score one. They were clinical today, more clinical than we've ever been in a game under Lennon

madhatter
17-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I think you need to stop slating this team.

Aren’t very good you say???

How many hibs teams have you seen son??

I remember all the really rubbish teams. With crowds of 4-5k

This is a good team, enjoy it. A couple of recruits in January and we are bang in there.

I'm not slating the team. I'm just being realistic. Lennon and fans talking about us being 2nd best in the country and only Celtic can play the football we play...that's more embarrassing than me saying "we aren't very good", trust me. I'll be happy with 5th-6th this season. I'd rather we stay realistic and don't get a sudden drop in attendance next season when people realise we weren't good enough for 2nd/3rd. If we do manage to get 2nd, 3rd etc. then I'll be very happy. Thinking we have a good chance based on recent results is foolish.

Without investment, I cannot see the club strengthening much in January unless McGinn is sold.

Thecat23
17-12-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm not slating the team. I'm just being realistic. Lennon and fans talking about us being 2nd best in the country and only Celtic can play the football we play...that's more embarrassing than me saying "we aren't very good", trust me. I'll be happy with 5th-6th this season. I'd rather we stay realistic and don't get a sudden drop in attendance next season when people realise we weren't good enough for 2nd/3rd. If we do manage to get 2nd, 3rd etc. then I'll be very happy. Thinking we have a good chance based on recent results is foolish.

Without investment, I cannot see the club strengthening much in January unless McGinn is sold.

I noticed you said you think we’d finish 6th. I don’t think we’ll drop out top 4 at all.

Nameless
17-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Youre first statement isnt true though is it?

Yes, it is. You've misunderstood it.

Joe6-2
17-12-2017, 04:12 PM

We simply have too

madhatter
17-12-2017, 04:12 PM
I noticed you said you think we’d finish 6th. I don’t think we’ll drop out top 4 at all.

If we finish 4th or above I'd be delighted. We traditionally have a run of shocking form around the festive period and I just don't think we have a strong enough squad yet. My concern is I don't think it'll be strengthened much in January, awkward window at the best of times and even more so if you aren't blessed with cash.

Porteous, F. Murray and Shaw should be getting more time in my opinion because the senior players in their positions aren't doing great at the moment. I think F. Murray would add some creativity and drive. Keep hearing about how great they are but compare their game time to Hearts youth game time. I remember we had a batch 2 years ago we were all told were impressive and I think they are all pretty much released...

we are hibs
17-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Yes, it is. You've misunderstood it.

No, I've not. I've seen us batter hearts countless times over the years and they sneak a win because they are more clinical. Just like they were more clinical today than we were on Wednesday. Give me a defensive, backs to the wall job if it means 3 points against them next week over playing nice football and creating lots without scoring from it

Thecat23
17-12-2017, 04:20 PM
If we finish 4th or above I'd be delighted. We traditionally have a run of shocking form around the festive period and I just don't think we have a strong enough squad yet. My concern is I don't think it'll be strengthened much in January, awkward window at the best of times and even more so if you aren't blessed with cash.

Porteous, F. Murray and Shaw should be getting more time in my opinion because the senior players in their positions aren't doing great at the moment. I think F. Murray would add some creativity and drive. Keep hearing about how great they are but compare their game time to Hearts youth game time. I remember we had a batch 2 years ago we were all told were impressive and I think they are all pretty much released...

Porteous I’d play instead of Whitty. For me Whitty wouldn’t play again this season. I’d look to help him with the coaching side and forget his playing days because they are done.

Hiber-nation
17-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Mind Hearts skelped The Rangers 4-0, did that make them a good team? Listen Celtic were due that simple as that, Hearts don’t lose many goals but I still think they’ll finish 6th at best. Saints away us and Dons away is tough.

Today's game was a mirror image of that, celtc trying to play out from the back on a tattie field of a pitch. Didn't mean anything in the long run as far as hearts were concerned.

This weekend has been brutal but it's time folk calmed down.

greenlex
17-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Porteous I’d play instead of Whitty. For me Whitty wouldn’t play again this season. I’d look to help him with the coaching side and forget his playing days because they are done.

I’d go with that but I feel a fit Whittaker still has something to offer. We need to give him thatt time to get fit. Porteous at Right back in a back 4 would be my preferred option right now. Efe can’t o it IMO

SideBurns
17-12-2017, 04:31 PM
The fans have been outstanding this year particularly at home. They were amazing at Pittordrie yesterday and in years gone by the team and managers would have been boo'ed off the park. Most clapped when the players came over in recognition of their efforts over the last few years I would imagine and in solidarity at a poor performance.

I doubt what we discuss here has much bearing on how the players perform and just because I post that I am concerned doesn't mean I don't turn up on a Saturday in good voice ready to support the players come what may.

I know that mate. I don't travel very often, but was at Fir Park & Firhill and the support (especially at Patrick) was phenomenal. What I said was in reference to the original post - the players will undoubtedly feel a responsibility to get a result next Saturday but the fans can help by continuing to get behind them, rather than on their backs. We've all suffered poisonous atmospheres at ER during bad times, but it seems that yesterday's performance is being regarded by some fans as the catalyst for a crisis. It might yet reach that stage if we lose our next 2 games, but why pre-empt it after just the one shocking display?

emerald green
17-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Derby is a different game

The Celtic were due a doing. They have been mince all season

The bit in bold - hilarious. I wish Hibs were as "mince" as that. Clear at the top of the league, won the League Cup, so far. Pure "mince". :faf:

Viva_Palmeiras
17-12-2017, 07:06 PM
The habit we have as a support is to lose perspective on a 6d which in turn puts pressure on our team.

I’m not ready in any shape or form to be sponsored but Tena for men.
Sort your stuff (I’m on a polite mood) out gentlemen.

cleanyman
17-12-2017, 07:13 PM
The bit in bold - hilarious. I wish Hibs were as "mince" as that. Clear at the top of the league, won the League Cup, so far. Pure "mince". :faf:

Sympathiser

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Ultimately I think that, if you look at our last 19 and a half games (some of which have been undeniably played at ER) and factor in how many of our players have been late for training and the fact that STF never wears a Hibs tie to the AGM....

THEN you look at the fact that we’re so desperate to take the piss out of Hearts that we’re shocked when they put a run of results together...

With those findings in mind, it’s hard to escape the outcome that unless we score more goals than Hearts when we play them, we’re going to stutter to a halt as far as getting three points in the league that day or progressing in the cup this season are concerned. There’s just no other way to look at it, however you look at it.

Bury your heads in the sand if you must happy clappers, but these are the hard cold inconvenient facts of the matter that can’t be ignored.

Yip, i agree 100% :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Who cares about Hearts? One game we are crap and they are Barca.

Ryan69
17-12-2017, 09:22 PM

Cause your only as good as your recent results perhaps???

emerald green
18-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Sympathiser

Absolutely not. I've supported Hibs all my life through thick and thin. I don't like Celtic, and I despise a large percentage of their supporters.

But to say they have been "mince all season" is total bollox. You do realise and understand that don't you?

Swedish hibee
18-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Lennon heaped pressure on them with all that 2nd best nonsense talk. This was so obvious we are not that. Now he and we look silly.

Since90+2
18-12-2017, 12:44 PM
A week is a long time in football. A victory on Saturday and a Hearts loss or draw at St Johnstone (either of which are more likely in my opinion than a Hearts win) and suddenly we have a good cushion again going into the derby.

This team and manager have done us proud over the last 18 months and I think they will do so again over the coming weeks.

Paisley Hibby
18-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Lennon heaped pressure on them with all that 2nd best nonsense talk. This was so obvious we are not that. Now he and we look silly.

From Michael Grant in today's Times

"...when (Lennon) said on the eve of the game 'outside of Celtic I think we're playing the best football in the league', he was probably right. Hibs at their best have been exciting to watch this season. In contrast Aberdeen had not consistently clicked or realised their attacking potential. Unfortunately for Lennon, that all came together against his team."

That seems a fair assessment and certainly not one which suggests Lennon or we the fans look silly. It was a one off, but one which Lennon will make good use of. Folk need to relax and get a bit of proportion on things.

SChibs
18-12-2017, 02:52 PM
For what it's worth I watched the pre match analysis for our game on saturday and the pundits agreed with Lennon that we were the best footballing team behind Celtic but they didn't think we were necessarily the 2nd best team overall

JDHibs
18-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Christ.

Deeds
18-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Neil Lennon was right at the time, we totally outplayed the team in second at that time. In hindsight, maybe he should have just kept it to himself rather than say it.

I still think we are capable of being 2nd, but need to stop conceding daft goals.

hibby6270
18-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Yip, i agree 100% :greengrin

It’s no coincidence that the older posters on here have a better handle and more objective realistic view on the past, present and future of all things Hibs.

We have witnessed so many false dawns in the past that make it very hard to think that the future won’t be any different than what has gone before.

We probably all wish and hope the club/team to be challenging for top 4 finishes every season. That’s an acceptable aim but for whatever reason, very rarely comes to pass.

Our main path to success is decent cup runs. Getting to semis and finals and occasionally winning a cup.

In my lifetime, I’ve seen us win 1 Scottish Cup, 3 League Cups and 3 Division Two/Championships. These are our major achievements in close to 60 years (I’ll not include Drybrough Cups, Summer Cup or Tennents Sixes:wink::wink:) Not a great return but just about acceptable. it sums up where our expectancy level is or should be in the future.

jacomo
18-12-2017, 06:11 PM
The only one heaping pressure on anyone is some of the supporters with their knee jerk reactions. :rolleyes:

:aok:

No bed wetting allowed.

Speedway
18-12-2017, 06:37 PM
It’s no coincidence that the older posters on here have a better handle and more objective realistic view on the past, present and future of all things Hibs.

We have witnessed so many false dawns in the past that make it very hard to think that the future won’t be any different than what has gone before.

We probably all wish and hope the club/team to be challenging for top 4 finishes every season. That’s an acceptable aim but for whatever reason, very rarely comes to pass.

Our main path to success is decent cup runs. Getting to semis and finals and occasionally winning a cup.

In my lifetime, I’ve seen us win 1 Scottish Cup, 3 League Cups and 3 Division Two/Championships. These are our major achievements in close to 60 years (I’ll not include Drybrough Cups, Summer Cup or Tennents Sixes:wink::wink:) Not a great return but just about acceptable. it sums up where our expectancy level is or should be in the future.

This is a very good post.

eastterrace
18-12-2017, 07:10 PM

I’m similar to you supported them since mid sixties , but really a club our size should have won a lot more trophies in those 60 years . Probably we just keep selling our best players so never get a chance to keep a settled team over two or three seasons to give ourselves a chance to win more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ardenttwo
18-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Sympathiser

A but its steak mince

hibby6270
18-12-2017, 10:18 PM
I’m similar to you supported them since mid sixties , but really a club our size should have won a lot more trophies in those 60 years . Probably we just keep selling our best players so never get a chance to keep a settled team over two or three seasons to give ourselves a chance to win more.

You’re not wrong. I do wish that to have been the case in 60 years but sadly because it hasn’t, us oldies maybe appreciate the highlights more when they do come along. The young happy clappers on here have a lot to learn.:greengrin

Being a fan is being a supporter of the club and by default a supporter of the current team. As you say, we have too high a turnover of players to keep the consistency required to be pushing for the title or constant 2nd/3rd place finishes. In her recent interview on Sky, Leeann mentioned again, for the umpteenth time, that we are a player trading club. Players will go more often than we are able to hold on to them. It’s a a fact of Hibby life. We benefit for a short period of time (max 3, maybe 4 years if we’re very lucky) with the good ones we bring in but ultimately they move on bringing funds In to continue the player turnover.

Even the 2 best teams we’ve had in recent years (Turnbull’s and Mowbray’s) didn’t stay all together for that long. Turnbulls maybe 18 months or so? Mowbrays a bit longer but it was systematically broken up by selling on O’Connor, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher, Riordan at various stages. Imagine if they had “stayed” with us as a unit for minimum 5 years. Who knows what we could have achieved.

hhibs
18-12-2017, 10:23 PM
You’re not wrong. I do wish that to have been the case in 60 years but sadly because it hasn’t, us oldies maybe appreciate the highlights more when they do come along. The young happy clappers on here have a lot to learn.:greengrin

Being a fan is being a supporter of the club and by default a supporter of the current team. As you say, we have too high a turnover of players to keep the consistency required to be pushing for the title or constant 2nd/3rd place finishes. In her recent interview on Sky, Leeann mentioned again, for the umpteenth time, that we are a player trading club. Players will go more often than we are able to hold on to them. It’s a a fact of Hibby life. We benefit for a short period of time (max 3, maybe 4 years if we’re very lucky) with the good ones we bring in but ultimately they move on bringing funds In to continue the player turnover.

Even the 2 best teams we’ve had in recent years (Turnbull’s and Mowbray’s) didn’t stay all together for that long. Turnbulls maybe 18 months or so? Mowbrays a bit longer but it was systematically broken up by selling on O’Connor, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher, Riordan at various stages. Imagine if they had “stayed” with us as a unit for minimum 5 years. Who knows what we could have achieved.

I disagree,Turnbull turned on the Tornados and was responsible for its break up .with exception of Crops it was not money that broke them up it was the manager.IMO.

hibby6270
18-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I disagree,Turnbull turned on the Tornados and was responsible for its break up .with exception of Crops it was not money that broke them up it was the manager.IMO.

Oh absolutely agree it was Turnbull’s doing as far as breaking them up.

My point was that if the group of players had stuck together longer (ignoring circumstances for them moving on), we could have gone on to win more. And of course we would have to ignore (quite literally:wink:) the elephant in the room during the 70s - Joe Harper. :greengrin

hhibs
18-12-2017, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=hibby6270;5251755]Oh absolutely agree it was Turnbull’s doing as far as breaking them up.

My point was that if the group of players had stuck together longer (ignoring circumstances for them moving on), we could have gone on to win more. And of course we would have to ignore (quite literally:wink:) the elephant in the room during the 70s - Joe Harper. :greengrin[/QUOTE

Fair point,but the Harper purchase which was for the time an HUGE sum of money could of still worked if Turnbull had not sold of O'Rourke and Gordon and ,for a pittance.

We were so,so close........... it still hurts.

where'stheslope
19-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just look around the Premiership, all the best players are moved on to produce monies to keep the clubs running, the latest being Moult at Motherwell.

Outside of the Old Firm, most clubs have to sell to keep their heads above water, we are in a good position at the moment as were Aberdeen and Dundee United when they went on to win things regularly in the 80's.

The problem today is that players hold the upper hand in deals and the club finds it harder to keep hold of its better players, often opting to sell and get a pay day rather than players walking away free!!!

As for winning things, in the last few years the Cups seem to be spread amongst the teams out with the Old Firm, long may that continue!!!