PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

SRHibs
17-12-2017, 01:56 PM
While the Hearts result is a bit of a downer on an already ***** weekend I think it serves as a prime example of why we shouldn’t be panicking after the Aberdeen result. Every team, even Celtic, can have a complete shocker.

EDIT: Current score, not result. Sure they can still Jambottle it.

Johnny Clash
17-12-2017, 01:58 PM
While the Hearts result is a bit of a downer on an already ***** weekend I think it serves as a prime example of why we shouldn’t be panicking after the Aberdeen result. Every team, even Celtic, can have a complete shocker.

Spot on. It’s part of the highs and lows of football and Celtc getting pumped by a worse team than Aberdeen!

Borderhibbie76
17-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Aye all teams have off days and we have only really had 2 this season...yesterday and Hamilton at home. Bit of perspective needed by some on here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Johnny Clash
17-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Spot on. It’s part of the highs and lows of football and Celtc getting pumped by a worse team than Aberdeen!

calumhibee1
17-12-2017, 02:27 PM
What goes on between Hearts and Celtic is of no relevance to us. Our points total recently is nowhere near good enough, we’ve won one in six and that was courtesy of an OG. That’s perspective, not watching a game which were not involved in and deciding we’re doing alright on current form based on that.

greenlex
17-12-2017, 02:39 PM
What goes on between Hearts and Celtic is of no relevance to us. Our points total recently is nowhere near good enough, we’ve won one in six and that was courtesy of an OG. That’s perspective, not watching a game which were not involved in and deciding we’re doing alright on current form based on that.

Cheer up FFS. It’s no hard.

hibbysam
17-12-2017, 03:24 PM

Why stop at 6 games? We’ve won 5 in last 10... that doesn’t suit an argument though.

wookie70
17-12-2017, 03:39 PM
You are completely right but going back over the last 6 games or so starts to tell more of a story and it doesn't look brilliant. We are about 3 or 4 bottom of the form league over the last 6 games. Understandable in some ways as we have played the top 3 but still something to think about. Hearts are at the other end of that form table and look like they have worked out a way of playing that suits their personnel. Not a style I like but one that works in Scottish football as we have seen to our cost many times.

I've no idea what our go to style, formation or temperament is like as it changes so much from week to week. Players get dropped after playing well and stay in the team after being poor for weeks. Youngsters are praised but rarely get an opportunity. We go from 2nd best team to abject in less than 24 hours. Lots of that reflects on our manager who can be over the top hot headed one game and thoughtful and eloquent the next. We have good enough players that as long as the majority turn up and do a decent job we should get some points in most games but I feel we lack cohesion and a single purpose. Hearts today, and for that matter Aberdeen yesterday, look like they have a plan. They know what is happening at set pieces. They know the style they are going to play and have players suited to that style.

I'll give you an example from yesterday. Rocky kicked the ball out to Boyle about 4 times and McGinn took kick off to Boyle 5 times. A long ball with our diminutive winger up against Considine. Needless to say it was no contest. Compare that to Aberdeen who put Rooney over to Stevenson's side when they were taking a bye and kicked to him with runners giving him something to nod on to. They looked totally prepared and knew what to do we were a disorganised shambles.

Set pieces are terrible both defending and when we are taking them. There have been some good signs with a few well worked short corners but most don't look like they are completely fluid and well practiced. I would also like to know how Lennon sets up preparing our formation for the upcoming game as it usually changes before half time and we played at least 3 different formations yesterday, although we were so ragged it was hard to tell what the plan was most of the time. It might not be fair to jump to conclusions about yesterday because there were special circumstances due to the run of games. However, everything that went wrong yesterday has been evident in the majority of games we have played under Lennon. Changing formations, terrible set pieces, no marking, Ambrose mucking about with the ball, right back area being an issue, not tracking runners, not having a defensive line, no real style of play just doing what comes naturally, terrible throw ins both with and without the ball etc etc. For as much as we look like we were going to hammer a team at some point I always felt we could easily get pumped too.

Lennon desperately needs to think about a couple of ways of playing and get players that suit that style. Stick to speaking about what we have done not what we are going to do and try to work far more on the organisation of the team. The little things really do matter. Barring yesterday he has done a great job with the temperament and attitude of the team but you need that and the tactical and organisational nous to be consistent over a whole season. He has shown he can react to situations well with some tactical switches but the opening game plan has been completely lacking on quite a few occasions and he has been out thought by his opposite number. The derby match on the tattie field was a great example of Lennon getting it right and I think that is what is needed in 10 days time. The problem is we don't have a big centre forward this time unless big Dave suddenly comes into the managers thoughts

heretoday
17-12-2017, 03:40 PM
We're only just back in the SPL and people are expecting us to be up challenging at the top. That's unreasonable.

wookie70
17-12-2017, 03:49 PM
We're only just back in the SPL and people are expecting us to be up challenging at the top. That's unreasonable.

I think most would be happy with a top 6. I expect 4th or 5th as that is what our budget should get us. We are just up but at no time did we cut budgets so that isn't really that much of an excuse. Lennon has us exactly where we should be and if we stay there then he will have done his job. It's a long season and current form topped off by yesterday's debacle has understandably given lots of us cause for concern. I hope our manager is concerned too. No need to panic but definitely a need to see what can be done better and imo there are lots of things that fall into that category.

rcarter1
17-12-2017, 03:57 PM

:agree:

Rangers 3 Aberdeen 0, Aberdeen 4 Hibs 1, Aberdeen 0 Celtic 4, Hearts 4 Celtic 0, Celtic 2 Hibs 2, Rangers 2 Hibs 3,

There is no consistent pattern to these results. Basically good days and bad. We turn up at Tynie feeling a little flat, we are going to get a lot flatter..
Same for Ross County, time for the team to really go the extra mile to put a team to the sword.

Famous Fiver
17-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Concomitant
Implosion
Perspective

Folk on here been swallowing dictionaries or what?

Mon_the_cabbage
17-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Concomitant
Implosion
Perspective

Indubitably!

:greengrin

Mantis Toboggan
17-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Concomitant
Implosion
Perspective

They are all perfectly cromulent words

hibsbollah
17-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Concomitant
Implosion
Perspective

It's a total omnishambles :agree: We will be left bereft and emasculated in the face of young Zico Cochrane and the rest of the Jambo youthquake. Be afraid :paranoid:

Green Reaper
17-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Indubitably!

:greengrin
Yep, making me all discombobulated

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-12-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't think we'll lose any of our last 3 fixtures in 2017.

If we can be sitting 4th, 4 or 5 points ahead of our nearest challenger and 9 or 10 clear of the team in 7th then we've had an excellent first half of the season on our return after 3 in the division below

Fergos
17-12-2017, 08:12 PM
It's a total omnishambles :agree: We will be left bereft and emasculated in the face of young Zico Cochrane and the rest of the Jambo youthquake. Be afraid :paranoid:

Quality!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Inspiring comeback against Celtc, unlucky against The Rangers are soundly beat away, by the team which has consistently been the second best team in the league. For a newly promoted side, I don't think that we are doing too badly.