PDA

View Full Version : Throw ins taken 15 yards from ball kicked out

FifeHibs
17-12-2017, 12:57 PM
The incompetence of the linesman and referee yesterday and in general now allowing throw ins to be taken 15 yards forward from the ball going out.

At one point the ball went out at the corner flag and the throw in was taken at the penalty spot.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Happens all the time.

I was at an under 20s Scottish Cup tie a few weeks ago. The ball went out on the 18 yard line, guy went to take the throw in about 10 yards up the park, tried to steal anothrr few yards and the ref said 'that's fine there, you've already stolen 5 yards'.

How about enforing the rules and moving him back to the right place and if he doesn't go award the throw to the other team.

SChibs
17-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Yesterday considine was walking forward, the ref asked him to move back and he ignored him. As considine took the throw in he stole another 10 yards and the ref started laughing.

linlithgowhibbie
17-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Easy solution and do what American football umpires do. drop a weighted hanky size cloth at the spot and if the player doesnt take it from there it goes the other way. Or just give the linesman one of the wee cans of disappearing spray that the refs use for free kicks.:agree:

kaimendhibs
17-12-2017, 04:33 PM
We do the same but we tend to throw the ball to the opposition so it doesn't really matter.We have always been pants at throw ins

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Future17
17-12-2017, 05:10 PM
The incompetence of the linesman and referee yesterday and in general now allowing throw ins to be taken 15 yards forward from the ball going out.

At one point the ball went out at the corner flag and the throw in was taken at the penalty spot.

I can understand why refs don't always care about this, but when it's at the corner flag It should be taken from there. If it is, it almost guarantees the thrower will be offside if it's played directly back to him, so not taking it from there is a definite unfair advantage.

Billy Whizz
17-12-2017, 05:17 PM
I can understand why refs don't always care about this, but when it's at the corner flag It should be taken from there. If it is, it almost guarantees the thrower will be offside if it's played directly back to him, so not taking it from there is a definite unfair advantage.

Some shockers from linesman in front of me in 1st half. Considene has a throw in near the corner flag, must have been near the 18yard box before he threw it

hibby6270
17-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Anyone watch Soccer AM?

A couple of months back, Jimmy Bullard answered a question on the “What should Sunday League teams do to improve their play?” slot. His answer was, always take a throw in back the way as it gives you a better chance to control the ball compared to throwing it forward to a teammate who is tightly marked and could lose the ball more easily. What a load of tosh I thought at the time.

But......I’ve watched Hibs’ throw ins since then and anecdotally, seems he may have a point. If teams did this more often, they’d retain the ball. It might also put a stop to the bad practice of trying to pinch that extra 5-10 yards advantage that you think you’re stealing.

Not saying it works every time and sometimes there is merit in throwing forward but a little more thought when taking the throw might not be a bad thing. Possession of the ball is number 1 priority.

eastcoasthibby
18-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I ways feel that our players go to close to the thrower making it very tight for the marker to put a good ball back to the thrower and also easier the marker to after.the ball to the thrower getting a return ...also not throwing a ball into space for players to move onto, waiting til they go and stand there ...not taking them early if its on ... ahhh I will stop there, needless to say it frustrates me!!!😲

Jim44
18-12-2017, 06:14 PM
We do the same but we tend to throw the ball to the opposition so it doesn't really matter.

We have always been pants at throw ins

Ah the old chestnut of Hibs’ incompetence at throw-ins. It’s quite baffling that our coaches have never cottoned on to the perennial problem. A throw-in to us is inevitably like giving possession to our opponents.

O'Rourke3
18-12-2017, 06:54 PM
At the Celtic game theor throwers usually threw it to about shin level meaning the recipient could control or play the ball straight back. Ours generally get thrown at the nuts making it impossible to control or do anything with. Drives me mental.

Sammy7nil
18-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Easy solution and do what American football umpires do. drop a weighted hanky size cloth at the spot and if the player doesnt take it from there it goes the other way. Or just give the linesman one of the wee cans of disappearing spray that the refs use for free kicks.:agree:

I agree but what if the lino is on the opposite side of the pitch :greengrin

hhibs
18-12-2017, 09:56 PM
We have always been pants at throw ins

Cannot say if its true since 1875,but with exception of when we had Shades( God bless him) it has been the same since ,in my memory,1960 !.
I was wee boy but my dad always said our "shys" were always woeful.

Exception,Gunnersson in recent times

linlithgowhibbie
18-12-2017, 09:59 PM
I agree but what if the lino is on the opposite side of the pitch :greengrin

Good question,,,, I don't know:not worth

Jim44
18-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Cannot say if its true since 1875,but with exception of when we had Shades( God bless him) it has been the same since ,in my memory,1960 !.
I was wee boy but my dad always said our "shys" were always woeful.

Exception,Gunnersson in recent times

Absolute and indisputable fact. Some might argue it’s a moot point and relatively unimportant but the fact that we are constantly under pressure from our own throw-ins is part of our game which our manager and coaches should be ashamed of.