PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 16 December)

Jonnyboy
16-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Well, that’s me home and had my tea (this isn’t Facebook so no picture included) and now I’ve settled down to write the latest “This is how it feels” which is going to be a painful experience, given the efforts of our team this afternoon.

On the way to the game I was saying that after my offering regarding Wednesday’s game against the Rangers, I’d decided to pick the many positives out of that game and there were quite a few despite the result. I offered the view that following our second half display in that game it was only a matter of time before I witnessed a team getting a real battering. I just didn’t expect it to be Hibs on the receiving end and make no mistake, we were thrashed.

Ahead of kick off we were told that Anthony Stokes was dropped to the bench and that Hibs were opting for a 352 formation with Murray the lone striker. The Dons were in good form having got back to positive ways after Derek McInnes decided not to be tempted into joining the Rangers, despite concerted efforts in some areas of the media to bully him into doing so.

The opening exchanges offered some hope to the travelling support with Hibs pressing the Dons defence high but sadly that soon petered out and after ten minutes the hosts took the lead when a bread and butter cross to the back post was guided back to the edge of the box by Mackay-Steven, allowing the unmarked Graham Shinnie to stroke the ball home. It was a defensive calamity and it wouldn’t be the only one but it would be wrong to pile the blame solely onto our back four as neither Bartley nor McGeouch tracked the run of Shinnie, making the Aberdeen skipper’s task that much easier. Add to that the fact that Rocky had needlessly given away a throw in when all he had to do was pick the ball up, rather than hoiking it out of play and it’s no wonder we paid the penalty for poor play.

Hibs were offering very little going forward and seemed unable to retain possession of the ball whilst failing miserably to win any second ball challenges. When we had the ball we inched forwards and invariably lost possession whilst Aberdeen in that position charged forward with six or seven players on the move.

Around the 35 minute mark, comic capers at the edge of our box witnessed Mackay-Steven, who probably weighs about ten stones soaking wet, barge past two Hibs defenders and as he stumbled to the ground he poked the ball towards goal with it hitting the net having glanced off the foot of Marciano. It has to be said that the attempted tackles were feeble and the efforts of Rocky to stop the ball going into the net, woeful.

I recall saying to my brother that I hoped we could keep it at 2-0 until the interval as it would give the manager a chance to reorganise and galvanise our players. Needless to say we couldn’t do that after losing a third goal in terrible circumstances. The ball fell between Ambrose and McGregor just inside the Hibs half but as they looked at each other and Efe appeared to give Daz the nod that he was taking charge, their hesitation allowed Mackay-Steven to nick the ball off Efe’s toes and race towards the Hibs goal before sending a powerful shot past Marciano.

During the break we speculated about how many more goals Hibs might ship if they kept playing in a slovenly manner. We also wondered if any changes would be made to shape and personnel, noticing that Stokes was not out warming up with the other subs. About ten minutes into the break, a Hibs backroom staff member rushed onto the pitch and spoke to one or two of the players, after which Whitty made his way to the dressing room. When Hibs reappeared for the second half it would be without the presence of both McGregor and Bartley with Stokes and Whittaker taking their place. A change in personnel and a change in shape to 442 but it must be said it made little or no significant difference to the flow of the game.

Moments after Oli Shaw had replaced the ineffective Simon Murray, more dilly dallying by the Hibs defence allowed Stevie May to nick the ball before feeding Mackay-Steven who skipped along the edge of the Hibs box unchallenged before firing in his side’s fourth and his own third of the match. Considine then looked to have made it five but was flagged offside in what looked a very tight decision.

Whether Aberdeen felt they’d done enough is a matter for debate because they stopped flooding forward at every opportunity, choosing instead to keep possession of the ball or, when Hibs had it, closing all routes forward. With the full time whistle looming, Stokes managed to grab a consolation via the leg of Shinnie but it was very much a case of too little, too late.

Let’s not mince words here; Hibs were terrible today with well below par performances from every player that took part in the game. Yes, Aberdeen were exceptional and stopped Hibs playing by cutting off the lifeline as they hunted the Hibs midfield in packs but even so, not a single Hibs player should have left the pitch feeling they’d done their best.

In the car I listened to Neil Lennon’s post-match interview and found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said. He accepted that as manager he has to shoulder responsibility but he quite rightly pointed out that not one of his players took the responsibility of driving the team on. The contrast between the second half display against the Rangers and today’s ninety minutes was, quite frankly, frightening.

The players

Rocky – no need for the kicked clearance leading to our first goal conceded and poor keeping for the second.

Efe – one of only two players I felt at least tried to take on the responsibility highlighted by the manager but I felt sorry for the guy due to the pillorying he took from the home support.

Daz – poor stuff from big Daz as he seemed to be caught out of position a lot and struggled to handle the physical presence of Adam Rooney.

Paul – much the same as Daz with both of them led a merry dance at times by Mackay-Steven.

Lewis – has to accept his share of the collective blame for Hibs shipping four goals.

Boyler – can’t remember the last time I seen him pretty much anonymous for the whole game.

Dylan – never slow to show for the ball but his use of it today was very poor.

Bartley – big Marv has his off days and today was one of them. Caught ball watching on numerous occasions and failed to track the runs of the likes of Christie and McLean.

SJM – there’s no doubt John is a quality player but he was very poor today. He needs to stop using that shield the ball with your arse trick as opponents have all rumbled to it and simply double up on him to take the ball.

Barker – like Efe he at least tried to take some responsibility but mazy runs with no end product don’t win games.

Simon – another poor display from him and he needs to realise that running around a lot does not in itself win matches.

Whitty – I’m told he’s carrying an injury and it showed. Mackay-Steven caused him all sorts of problems and I thought the tackle for his booking might have attracted a red card.

Stokesy – no supply of the ball and when he did get it he didn’t do a lot with it.

Oli – much the same as Stokesy.

Neil Lennon – clearly raging after the game and he wasn’t alone.

Bobby Madden – confirmed to me he’s the best ref in Scotland at the moment. Kept a strong and sensible grip on the game, issuing cards only when they were truly warranted.

The fans – A sizable support, some of whom seemed to leave at half time. I love supporting Hibs and I’m very proud to be a Hibby but we do have some lowlifes that follow our team. The guy behind me, whom I’ve seen get in trouble on numerous times before today, was screaming that he wished “that wee gay **** Mackay-Steven had drowned in that ******* river” before turning his ire onto the nearest Dons fans calling them “paedo’s” and challenging them to a fight outside. There was a policeman not ten yards away who did nothing about it so I thought if he wasn’t willing to do his job there was no way I was going to risk a sore face for doing it for him.

chrisski33
16-12-2017, 08:38 PM
U could have saved ur time and just said we were crap!

bigwheel
16-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Articulate and well thought through as always J....

My only addition would have been on McGeough and McGinn - outfought and outclassed by Shinnie, McLean and Christie. They got a lesson today

HNA7
16-12-2017, 08:47 PM

He didn't though, he put a lot of time and effort into providing a match report.

And before we have the same people from last week lining up to have a go, please remember that John writes these from what he remembers of the game, tucked away in the corner, and he hasn't had the luxury of watching it on TV.

hibsboy69
16-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the report.

Good effort going up there. It was abominable stuff from the team today (for which Lennon apologised to the fans in his Hibs TV interview) :grr::boo hoo:

Billy Whizz
16-12-2017, 08:52 PM

I think his time and effort deserved more than that. Do you want to write on here, do an in-depth report, and get shot down without any constructive criticism,
Said to Jonnyboy at the game today, that anything he’s said today, would be shot down by the TV experts on here
Massive Hibs following at Aberdeen today, and we were let down by a dreadful display. We were lucky it was just 4

On the other hand, happy with our start to the season, so up to Neil and the he players, to finish the year on a high

As an aside Aberdeen catering was terrible, only 2 kiosks open for a the full Hibs support, on a freezing day, and £26 for a restricted view ticket for all Hibs fans

hibsboy69
16-12-2017, 08:55 PM
He didn't though, he put a lot of time and effort into providing a match report.

And before we have the same people from last week lining up to have a go, please remember that John writes these from what he remembers of the game, tucked away in the corner, and he hasn't had the luxury of watching it on TV.

Chill - think the boy was trying to be funny I think ! :aok:

The reports are an excellent read and always well received from what I can recall :agree:

hibsboy69
16-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Articulate and well thought through as always J....

My only addition would have been on McGeough and McGinn - outfought and outclassed by Shinnie, McLean and Christie. They got a lesson today

McGeough looked very leggy (as did McGinn but Dylan more so)

Wheat Hound
16-12-2017, 08:57 PM
I think his time and effort deserved more than that. Do you want to write on here, do an in-depth report, and get shot down without any constructive criticism,
Said to Jonnyboy at the game today, that anything he’s said today, would be shot down by the TV experts on here
Massive Hibs following at Aberdeen today, and we were let down by a dreadful display. We were lucky it was just 4

On the other hand, happy with our start to the season, so up to Neil and the he players, to finish the year on a high

As an aside Aberdeen catering was terrible, only 2 kiosks open for a the full Hibs support, on a freezing day, and £26 for a restricted view ticket for all Hibs fans

Yep Pittodrie is a shoddy stadium stuck in a 1970s time warp. We were well beaten today but 26 quid to sit in that ramshackle stand peering through a wire fence to see a section of the pitch is a joke.

Hopefully if we maintain the current crowd sizes we can catch up and surpass Aberdeen financially and then on the pitch.

kaimendhibs
16-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the report, watched on telly due to not feeling well and I agree. Sorry to hear about tbe erse in the support, really no need

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JohnMcM
16-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Once again Jonnyboy, a good summary, and once again one that anyone would be hard pushed to majorly disagree with.

I've waited before posting tonight, mainly because my anger at our team meant I would have made a prat of myself.

Your summary has helped me avoid that mistake, and I admire your choice of words. In this instance I think you are calmness personified.

With that, roll on next week and let's move on.

:flag:

Mr White
16-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Thanks once more for the effort in producing these reports. Particularly after a long journey to witness such a poor performance. It really is appreciated by those of us who don't make it to as many matches as we'd like to :aok:

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Rocky and Effe get off far too lightly. Both completely shocking today. Effe is never a right back in his puff.

Kojock
16-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Thanks again for your report on today's game, can't really disagree with any of it. I thought we looked tired and three difficult games in six days took it toll lots of heavy legs out there today.

bigwheel
16-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Rocky and Effe get off far too lightly. Both completely shocking today. Effe is never a right back in his puff.

Ok Efe made a balls up of the goal, but other than that he did probably better than anyone else...as Lennon says, at least he takes responsibility on the pitch...Some fans favourites never showed up today...were not up for the fight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andybev1
16-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Not easy to write in an entertaining way especially when you have naff all to write about, you pretty much managed it though. thx.

chrisski33
16-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Chill - think the boy was trying to be funny I think ! :aok:

The reports are an excellent read and always well received from what I can recall :agree:

Yup just my poor sense of humour! Always like reading the this is how it feels thread. Well writen and thought out.

Aubenas
16-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Good and accurate summary as always, John
Awful as the display was, the day we made even worse for us by the sub- moronic behaviour of some lowlife Hibs support down the front who shouted non-stop nonsense and abuse at Hibs players for the whole ninety minutes. They looked to be 17 going on 5 year old.
Not good travelling all that distance only to see your team humped and be surrounded by half wits. Can’t imagine how they managed to work out how to get to Aberdeen

Bostonhibby
16-12-2017, 11:32 PM
U could have saved ur time and just said we were crap!Your on the wrong thread.

Jonny's taken the trouble to give a fans eye view for those that look forward to it as part of their overall view of how we're doing.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

matty_f
16-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Good summary JB, we were honking today.

Forza Fred
16-12-2017, 11:53 PM
first thread I look for on wakening up...my time, after a game, and appreciative of the time taken to put it together.

Some have, it appears difficulty with posts of greater length than ten words or so, but I admit to being a fan of a thought out report.

Having said that.....and more as a result of listening to Neil Lennon's 'defence' of Efe than John's report, I don't get the 'defence' of Efe.......

What people describe as his 'bombscare' moments finally detonated today , and they happened more than once..... luckily for us it only cost us one goal directly.

He is a player of much ability, but he needs to consider safety at the back first and foremost.

His giving the ball away for the goal was more suited to an amateur game than two teams supposedly fighting it our for candidates for second place in the top league.

BTW John I note the fans leaving the ground early...out here its a bit different...people were posting throughout the game that they had enough and were off to their beds at various stages...given it was a11-30 pm kick off on the east coast of OZ.

Unfortunately when we woke up, it only took a moment to accept that it was not just a nightmare!

Smartie
16-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Not much to add other than that I disagree about the referee's performance - I thought he was pretty poor but gave us everything!

If he hadn't done then we might have gone on to lose by 7 or 8.

Smartie
17-12-2017, 12:01 AM
first thread I look for on wakening up...my time, after a game, and appreciative of the time taken to put it together.

Some have, it appears difficulty with posts of greater length than ten words or so, but I admit to being a fan of a thought out report.

Having said that.....and more as a result of listening to Neil Lennon's 'defence' of Efe than John's report, I don't get the 'defence' of Efe.......

What people describe as his 'bombscare' moments finally detonated today , and they happened more than once..... luckily for us it only cost us one goal directly.

He is a player of much ability, but he needs to consider safety at the back first and foremost.

His giving the ball away for the goal was more suited to an amateur game than two teams supposedly fighting it our for candidates for second place in the top league.

BTW John I note the fans leaving the ground early...out here its a bit different...people were posting throughout the game that they had enough and were off to their beds at various stages...given it was a11-30 pm kick off on the east coast of OZ.

Unfortunately when we woke up, it only took a moment to accept that it was not just a nightmare!

I thought that Efe let the treatment from the Aberdeen fans get to him - once they started barracking him he was hell bent on fannying around as much as possible as if to say "I'll show them".

Efe was atrocious today, an embarrassment, but was remarkably not that much worse than anyone else.

We really were terrible all over the park.

A very uncharacteristically poor performance.

My_Wife_Camille
17-12-2017, 12:21 AM
0’s all round. Actually, Stokes gets a 1 for having a slight hand in the goal

Davy Mac
17-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Aberdeen has always been a difficult venue for Hibs. I don't recall one visit that we've won in 40 years going there, i really can't but at least we used to get a good bevy in Laurencekirk en route.

Anyhoos, not for the first time this season I thought our defence looked a bit casual at times and for me it was only a matter of time before we got pressed down so much we would suffer a result like this.

I don't think we build at speed and a crispness from the back and we can't always be so cavalier in our approach to games like the Dons away.

Good post albeit painful.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Aberdeen has always been a difficult venue for Hibs. I don't recall one visit that we've won in 40 years going there, i really can't but at least we used to get a good bevy in Laurencekirk en route.

Anyhoos, not for the first time this season I thought our defence looked a bit casual at times and for me it was only a matter of time before we got pressed down so much we would suffer a result like this.

I don't think we build at speed and a crispness from the back and we can't always be so cavalier in our approach to games like the Dons away.

Good post albeit painful.

Fair points. I think we won there on zitellis debut and also 1-0 Brebner scored and it wasn't actually the worst I've seen us up there. Kevin McCann centre half match was worse as was a match under Mowbray we where going for third with them.

truehibernian
17-12-2017, 02:29 AM

Forget the defence, our midfield were hopeless and Dylan and Marvin need to bear the brunt for a hapless display too. Terrible in the press, terrible at possession retention, neither able to drive the team forward. Dylan is absolutely flattering to deceive for me at present and I'd far rather have a player who can create, score and leave a foot in. Marvin is starting to believe the hype we as fans have created - start being a real leader Marvin and impose yourself on every game.

Sooner we get Danny Swanson fit and in that midfield the better - or Fraser Murray - it needs impetus and urgency, and importantly creativity. Even against The Rangers our midfield was content to play square and with no real penetration centrally. Aberdeen had that in shed loads today.

hibbydog
17-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for posting sir.

Funny you mention the SJM ‘shielding the ball with your arse’ trick. It gets on my goat too!!

So, we got a reality check on how below par performances will be punished. A valuable lesson and it could have been worse.

As a newly promoted team, we really should have expected one or two doings this season. But, for the size of club we are, Hibs are sitting about right in the league table and finishing where we are now will represent a good seasons work.

Onwards and upwards

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
17-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Aye, it was a very bad day, Jonny. Sloppy, error filled and uninterested display by the team. I thought Marciano had another very poor game, just like in midweek. Ambrose was a bomb scare, to the extent the home crowd were singing his name; the midfield had no bite and up front there was no imagination. Awful performance from back to front. Freezing cold day, tae. No positives at all from that.

Ardenttwo
17-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Agree that the catering was terrible but what is this standing watching the game for. I am not tall by any means and the tall guys round me meant I missed a lot of the play(maybe that was a good thing) And that Santa hats made it worse No that’s my last game at Pittodrie not paying the money to look at somebody’s back

Baldy Foghorn
17-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Another good summary JB.

Sir David Gray
17-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Just seen the goals, their 3rd was horrific from Ambrose.

Baldy Foghorn
17-12-2017, 08:42 AM

All goals were horrific, far too easy

Hibernia&Alba
17-12-2017, 08:43 AM

He had one of his Celtic days that he's liable to. He can be very good, but on some days he's in a world of his own. We knew what we were getting though; their third was a shambles.

bythecringe
17-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the match reports each week.
I no longer read the SMSM guff and really appreciate the comments you provide to absent Hibbies like me.

Jones28
17-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Once again Jonnyboy, a good summary, and once again one that anyone would be hard pushed to majorly disagree with.

I've waited before posting tonight, mainly because my anger at our team meant I would have made a prat of myself.

Your summary has helped me avoid that mistake, and I admire your choice of words. In this instance I think you are calmness personified.

With that, roll on next week and let's move on.

:flag:

Very well said

Mikey
17-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Bobby Madden – confirmed to me he’s the best ref in Scotland at the moment. Kept a strong and sensible grip on the game, issuing cards only when they were truly warranted.

You wouldn't have seen it well enough from your perch in the corner but replays showed that he should have given both teams a penalty. Getting back to 3-1 might have changed the game but we'll never know.

Hopefully we get a good reaction in the next 3 games and win them all.

Green-Hibee-7
17-12-2017, 10:38 AM
1217 Hibs fans at the game yesterday according to the Aberdeen twitter.

I think that is a top class turnout just over a week out from
Christmas, sub zero temperatures and a fair treck for a half 12 kick off when it’s on the telly.

Minus the score, fair enjoyed my trip north. Also would agree about some off the “banter” our fans come out with. Some tube near me (probably same sort of area as the OP) wanting to be centre of attention shouting about hoping GMS dies, Stevie May being lesbian and generally focusing on the equally weird Aberdeen fans to our left more than the game - was hard not to cringe.

On a positive for being absolutely hammered by a team who are of similar stature, I thought the fans took it well. Was no one really kicking off in and around me - I think a lot were shocked. Most stayed. Really can’t understand driving 2 and a bit hours up the road to leave after 45 mins - game over or not.

MONKEY'S ERSE
17-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Intelligent report from JB-justifiably critical but not OTT. I was one of the TV viewers and it was horrible to watch; a long time since I've seen us so bad. Aberdeen ARE a good side and play some good football when they're on a game but it was hard to believe we could be so poor ; maybe a game too far for us in 6 days? Not offering that as the sole reason for capitulating today but maybe a factor. I,like everyone else on here,cringed at that today but we have been doing ok for the most part this season. What did show up today is that we do have a bit to go to really challenge for that 2nd spot; we probably are capable of getting there but I said when we came up I wouldn't be unhappy with 4th. I thought our squad was strong enough but am having second thoughts on some aspects- A solid keeper who will come for crosses ( having played as a defender you knew you'd get clattered by your own goalie if he was coming for a ball and accepted that) / a goal scoring midfielder ( oh for a Pat McGinlay!!)/ and,as we all can see, a finisher. Utopia,I know! I'm sure Neil is watching the same games as us- hopefully with the crowds being up he'll get a bit of a budget to play with in January. Leanne and the board kept to their word in the Summer so I'm sure they'll try to accommodate the manager's requests if they can; the will to succeed is there-maybe we just have to be a wee bit more patient than we'd like. It isn't a bad time to be a Hibby; however I do hope we don't have another one like that today!

Pretty Boy
17-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Good summary again J.

Bad day at the office and a bit of a reality check of where we are sums it up for me.

BullsCloseHibs
17-12-2017, 11:33 AM
u could have saved ur time and just said we were crap!

lol 😀

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Forget the defence, our midfield were hopeless and Dylan and Marvin need to bear the brunt for a hapless display too. Terrible in the press, terrible at possession retention, neither able to drive the team forward. Dylan is absolutely flattering to deceive for me at present and I'd far rather have a player who can create, score and leave a foot in. Marvin is starting to believe the hype we as fans have created - start being a real leader Marvin and impose yourself on every game.

Sooner we get Danny Swanson fit and in that midfield the better - or Fraser Murray - it needs impetus and urgency, and importantly creativity. Even against The Rangers our midfield was content to play square and with no real penetration centrally. Aberdeen had that in shed loads today.

I would agree with all that also. Who's stopping the cross come in for the first? Who's tracking the runner? The second is Effe and Especially Hankins fault getting turned inside out and Rocky to blame for the first two also. Third you can't legislate a Effe brain fart but why no challenge by Hanlon? Fourth, who's doing any tracking?

cleanyman
17-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I actually thought the first was a good goal. The other three were calamitous.

Well done to all the Hibs fans who turned up yesterday. Sadly, it was a day to forget.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Well done to all the Hibs fans who turned up yesterday. Sadly, it was a day to forget.

The keeper didn't have to hit it out of play, then Bartley fails to stop the ball in the box, nobody is marking GMS at the back post and Dylan gives up tracking the boy Shinnie.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 12:01 PM
The keeper didn't have to hit it out of play, then Bartley fails to stop the ball in the box, nobody is marking GMS at the back post and Dylan gives up tracking the boy Shinnie.

Also well done to the tremendous support.

Smartie
17-12-2017, 01:02 PM

I agree.

Yes, we can point the finger at our own players, especially Marciano for the decision-making in relation to his choice to kick, but from an attacking sense it was a very good goal.

Good ball into the box, good movement from GMS to peel off his man, beautifully weighted knock down, good late run into the box and a good finish.

My problem with it is that it wasn't the type of goal you would imagine us ever scoring.

cleanyman
17-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Yeah but it was still an excellent attacking goal.

Lovely pass, lovely cushion and a great finish.

CMac1988
17-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Yeah but it was still an excellent attacking goal.

Lovely pass, lovely cushion and a great finish.

I agree it was well worked and most goals do indeed come from mistakes but it was the fact there were so many.

Past the first couple of passes it shows what actually happens when you pick out a player in the box and move off the ball. Pretty basic stuff.