PDA

View Full Version : Big Dave

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Not even on the bench.
Injured? Appalling in training?
Never really had a chance.
A player usually on the bench for the Lithuania national team not even getting a sniff at Hibs.
Could he have been the answer against Rangers in midweek.

Your thoughts or ITK comments

Thecat23
16-12-2017, 03:21 PM
On the way out already got club lined up from what I’m told.

Allant1981
16-12-2017, 03:22 PM
strange signing, dont believe for a second about only getting him due to slivka but why sign him and never give him a decent chance, think he will be away in january also

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Seems a shame that we haven't even seen enough of him to declare him rubbish.

(Was last on the bench against Celtic)

Roxyhibee
16-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Have to say this is a strange one given how we are so lacking up front. Internationalist (ok not big name, but still a decent level and surely good enough for SPL, on paper anyway) with a physical size that seems to be exactly what we are lacking in some games up front just now.

Maybe he doesn't like it here, but the whole thing seems a bit odd..

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:31 PM
strange signing, dont believe for a second about only getting him due to slivka but why sign him and never give him a decent chance, think he will be away in january also

His club career is pretty banal but you usually expect that a manager will give game time to a player he has gone to the great bother of signing

Thecat23
16-12-2017, 03:31 PM
It is a weird one, no idea why he’s not had more game time when at times we needed a big target man. Lennon just doesn’t rate him it seems.

wookie70
16-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Slivka seems to have fallen out of favour too

tamig
16-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Not even on the bench.
Injured? Appalling in training?
Never really had a chance.
A player usually on the bench for the Lithuania national team not even getting a sniff at Hibs.
Could he have been the answer against Rangers in midweek.

Your thoughts or ITK comments
Not really seen anything from him in the few appearances he’s made. Just looks a pretty poor player to me and certainly not the big strong target man we were looking for to replace Holt. Surprised the way it’s turned out as NL said he’d been tracking him for a while before he signed.

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Hope so, given he is only 5 months into a 2 year contract

Ozyhibby
16-12-2017, 03:40 PM
I’ve seen him in development games. Be good if he moves on in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:45 PM
I’ve seen him in development games. Be good if he moves on in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That bad :greengrin

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Maybe we will go back for Simon Church :greengrin

16-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Waste of a signing. Seen too little of him to really make a full judgment of him but when he has got off the bench he contributed very little that I can remember.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Who?

S4uzee
16-12-2017, 05:19 PM
To think I and others were slated for saying underwhelmed .......

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2017, 05:35 PM
To think I and others were slated for saying underwhelmed .......

I cant say I was underwhelmed because even after over 40 years of going to watch live football and thousands and thousands of games on the telly I still don't feel I'm qualified to judge a player after a total appearance time of 30 minutes in about 25 games .... so anybody saying 'underwhelmed' based on that must be a bloody football genius.

As it is the manager clearly shares the opinion that he isn't good enough based on what he is seeing at East Mains, he isn't going to be a Hibs player and needs shifted off the wage bill.

Cod Boy
16-12-2017, 05:36 PM
It is a weird one, no idea why he’s not had more game time when at times we needed a big target man. Lennon just doesn’t rate him it seems.

Which is baffling as when he signed him Lennon said he had been tracking his progress for a year.

Thecat23
16-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Which is baffling as when he signed him Lennon said he had been tracking his progress for a year.

Really is baffling. Just isn’t doing it in training it seems.

erin go bragh
16-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Looks slower than a week in jail . When he has came on , he has showed no urgency. I would rather we had kept Holt . We need a striker in Jan .

Roxyhibee
16-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Would really have liked to have kept Holt in the squad too, only in our first season back in the SPL. Could have given us something in a lot of these games we are struggling to impose ourselves upfront. He was a very clever bullying forward player and we currently lack that guile and composure up front. Would have been great for creating more space for Murray and Barker in particular.

wookie70
16-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Would really have liked to have kept Holt in the squad too, only in our first season back in the SPL. Could have given us something in a lot of these games we are struggling to impose ourselves upfront. He was a very clever bullying forward player and we currently lack that guile and composure up front. Would have been great for creating more space for Murray and Barker in particular.

I thought he rarely bullied any of the better centre halves in the Championship, had no mobility and didn't score or create many goals. I think he would have been as useful as Big Dave has been.

Speedy
16-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Have to say this is a strange one given how we are so lacking up front. Internationalist (ok not big name, but still a decent level and surely good enough for SPL, on paper anyway) with a physical size that seems to be exactly what we are lacking in some games up front just now.

Maybe he doesn't like it here, but the whole thing seems a bit odd..

They don't come much bigger than Matulevicius

brianmc
16-12-2017, 06:23 PM
I thought he rarely bullied any of the better centre halves in the Championship, had no mobility and didn't score or create many goals. I think he would have been as useful as Big Dave has been.

Christ!!
My memory must really be playing tricks on me!

wookie70
16-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Christ!!
My memory must really be playing tricks on me!

He was another one of those players that divided opinion. You must have enjoyed him wrestling with players, while rarely winning the ball, and standing 40 yards from goal. I tend to like my big centre forwards like Mixu and Brewster who play other players in and nod the ball on into runs from their striking partner. Their output is more important than their wrestling skills

SunshineOnLeith
16-12-2017, 06:32 PM
He was a (presumably quite cheap) gamble that didn't pay off. He's rubbish.

If he's moving on without Hibs needing to pay him off then that's good news.

Roxyhibee
16-12-2017, 06:47 PM

He wasn't the quickest, but he showed in the two biggest games we had last season against Yams and Sheep that he definitely offered something on the bigger stage. He wound up their defences and they certainly knew he was there. Check your memory bank - scored at Hampden and laid one on, nearly got us to the Final, scored against Yams and played a big part that night.

Not one for the future obviously but just one more season could have proved useful for us..

wookie70
16-12-2017, 08:49 PM
He wasn't the quickest, but he showed in the two biggest games we had last season against Yams and Sheep that he definitely offered something on the bigger stage. He wound up their defences and they certainly knew he was there. Check your memory bank - scored at Hampden and laid one on, nearly got us to the Final, scored against Yams and played a big part that night.

Not one for the future obviously but just one more season could have proved useful for us..

That performance came after a bizarre team selection from Lennon if I remember correctly. I seem to remember Stokes being like a superhero(thanks Tony) in a game at Hampden too. Being able to turn it on now and again is not what we need right now. I mostly remember Holt pushing and wrestling miles away from goal. Lennon seemed to appreciate that and played him week after week while dropping our 20 plus goal a season man after a few bad games.

One thing is for sure if we could find a Holt from 6-10 years before he joined us then we would make a massive stride forward. Combine that with someone who likes playing near the goals and we would be a very decent outfit.

Billy Whizz
16-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Doubt it was Lennon, more like our player ID Dept

S4uzee
16-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Doubt it was Lennon, more like our player ID Dept

It was Lennon

Billy Whizz
16-12-2017, 09:01 PM
It was Lennon

He signed him, but who identified him as a potentially signing.
Lennon is our Manager, but not our scout

JimBHibees
16-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Can remember him terrorising both Aberdeen and Hearts in the cup last season.

calumhibee1
16-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Not had much of a chance. But when he has he's looked pretty pish tbh.

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Holt did well to get as much out of himself as he did but he left at the right time and is now playing non league.
To old and immobile to play for the 4th best team in Scotland.