PDA

View Full Version : Lennon Says........

Mikey
16-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Hibernian manager Neil Lennon: "I've seen a lot of things in football but I haven't seen a turnaround in all round performance in such a short space of time. Congratulations to Aberdeen - they wanted to put a message out there that they are the second best team.

"We have to accept that and we were well beaten. They were the hungrier team, more motivated and wanted it more. The earned the right to play and did everything far better from my team today.

"My players were abject, they gave up, they lacked character, quality, physical and emotional strength - that's a hard lesson to learn. I could've made 11 substitutions at half-time.

"We were so abject Cowdenbeath would've beaten us today, comfortably."

Scottie
16-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Hard to disagree with any of what Neil says.

neil7908
16-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Well said Neil and I'm pleased he didn't try to cover for the players.

Also glad he was honest and gave credit to Aberdeen.

Michael
Harsh on Cowden though.

Thecat23
Well said. Honest as you could get!

Thecat23
16-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Harsh on Cowden though.

Haha I thought that too!

murray26
16-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Honest and we need a response.. Hearts are the team we’re competing with this season not Aberdeen/ Sevco.. we need to get over this quickly..

Pretty Boy
16-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Bedwetter.:greengrin

Lago
16-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Bedwetter.:greengrin

Nice one:greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Neil Lennon feels the same as we supporters and I guarantee that he has laid into the shambles that represented our club at Pittodrie earlier today.
His public lambasting will only be a diluted version of what he said behind closed doors.
I for one am so glad to have this "winner" at the helm.
Under his management I feel confident that the current deficiencies will be addressed as this entertaining first season back in the SPL progresses.

lucky
16-12-2017, 07:43 PM
The manager was spot on as usual

heidtheba
16-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Spot on Neil. The thing I really like about this is that he's been honest, said appropriate comments about Aberdeen and has shown that he can sort the team out. We've heard previous managers lambast our players when they didn't need it, be nice to them when they didn't need it, or get it spot on but you just knew that they didn't have the ability or standing to sort it out.

Neil does.

Neil will.

hibsboy69
16-12-2017, 08:12 PM

"We were so abject Cowdenbeath under 12s would've beaten us today, comfortably."

Gatecrasher
16-12-2017, 08:16 PM
One of Lennon's best qualities is that's he's honest. He praises the team when deserved and he's putting the boot in today because it was deserved.

chrisski33
16-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Shame lennon said we were playing 2nd best football in country before the game. Gave Aberdeen extra incentive to prove him wrong.

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Shame lennon said we were playing 2nd best football in country before the game. Gave Aberdeen extra incentive to prove him wrong.

Just wait until we get Cowdenbeath in the Cup :greengrin

allezsauzee
16-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Honest and we need a response.. Hearts are the team we’re competing with this season not Aberdeen/ Sevco.. we need to get over this quickly..

Ahhh I love that never say die spirit!

madabouthibs
16-12-2017, 09:37 PM
We probably where in our two games before this one.

Thegreenside
16-12-2017, 09:46 PM
We probably where in our two games before this one.

For 75 mins we were poor against Celtic

high bee
16-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Celtic are a league above everyone so any result regardless of performance is a plus, we dominated Rangers but didn’t win so we were all feeling pretty good. Aberdeen laid down a marker today so fair play to them. We will learn a lot from today, main point being that the players chucked it today and that’s something I never expected from this current squad and not something I expect to see again as long as Lennon is in charge.

I trust Neil Lennon to give them the boot up the backside that today warranted, still a great bunch of lads but they need a reminder of what’s acceptable.

beensaidbefore
16-12-2017, 11:29 PM
We started so well, sadly it didn't end that way. It would have been far better for Celtic to hump us and for us to take a point against huns/dons.

Let's hope we kick on from here.

Bostonhibby
16-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Decent read, looking forward to seeing what we do to remedy the situation.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ballengeich
17-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Obviously, as manager Neil Lennon feels he has no responsibility for what happened on the park today.

HibernianJK
17-12-2017, 12:21 AM
We had 2 massive games and I’m actually not surprised we were poor today. Lennon is spot on but it’s really the second terrible performance this season. Learn from it and move on.

lyonhibs
17-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Fairly obviously, the 2nd to last paragraph could apply to him as well, as these are his players and the ultimate responsibility rests with him.

7 points at least from the next 3 games should be the aim IMO

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Obviously, as manager Neil Lennon feels he has no responsibility for what happened on the park today.

Yep. Regardless of change of shape and personell the ram Huns ragged, the changes are made and we get pumped, he sees them in training and thought Stokes and Shaw where the Guys to drop. If players are tired he would have known, why drop a lazy stokes for a shattered player according to some on here. Managers fault completely today and the deflection is probably due to a lot of people on here saying it was our best team and shape before we got pumped. Yet still Steven Whittaker ended up the scapegoat whilst bombscare Effe at least he tried? Ludicrous.

Boyle89
17-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Yep. Regardless of change of shape and personell the ram Huns ragged, the changes are made and we get pumped, he sees them in training and thought Stokes and Shaw where the Guys to drop. If players are tired he would have known, why drop a lazy stokes for a shattered player according to some on here. Managers fault completely today and the deflection is probably due to a lot of people on here saying it was our best team and shape before we got pumped. Yet still Steven Whittaker ended up the scapegoat whilst bombscare Effe at least he tried? Ludicrous.

You actually laying the blame at Lennon? How is he to know that all 11 players would all play poorly?

ballengeich
17-12-2017, 12:43 AM
You actually laying the blame at Lennon? How is he to know that all 11 players would all play poorly?

Not laying the blame on him. Just questioning his attempt to distance himself from the players.

Boyle89
17-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Not laying the blame on him. Just questioning his attempt to distance himself from the players.

Did find it odd that he said its not a reflection on him. Wasnt really any need to say that. Maybe he was just so annoyed he wanted to make it clear he wont stand for performances like that. Theres not much he can do though when everyone plays so poorly and he makes the subs and they are just as bad. I thought the team selection was as good as we could possibly field so cant really blame him for that.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 01:32 AM

He's partly to blame for how he set up the team and mde the changes. Of course.

You can't get scudded 4-1 going on 6 and not blame the manger, it's his call, his team. Lennon got it badly wrong in Aberdeen. I hope he learns and starts accepting more responsibility.

17-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the Hibs rollercoaster Lenny. Hope you stay to the end of your contract, it'll be a blast. Reckon you'll get us a Scottish Cup which will make it all worthwhile.

Steve20
17-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Maybe he could take some responsibility for that disgrace then. Or maybe try and sort them out why we’ve been so poor since the Dundee game.

Or will he just say all the things that supporters say and everyone will worship him even though he’s done nothing to stop the slide.

matty_f
17-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Maybe he could take some responsibility for that disgrace then. Or maybe try and sort them out why we’ve been so poor since the Dundee game.

Or will he just say all the things that supporters say and everyone will worship him even though he’s done nothing to stop the slide.

We haven't been poor since the Dundee game. Why just make ***** up?

Hibernia&Alba
17-12-2017, 06:28 AM
He was right to be so scathing. That performance was shameful; I don't think any of us expected it, after an excellent effort against Rangers. The players should be looking at themselves in the mirror.

Stuart93
17-12-2017, 06:57 AM
Poor performance from the players but poor from Lennon as well, bad day at the office

Thecat23
17-12-2017, 07:46 AM

Played very well against The Rangers, far from poor so bit confused with this!

houstonhibbee
17-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Poor performance from the players but poor from Lennon as well, bad day at the office
Sorry but what did Lennon do wrong? Everyone wanted Shaw to start and barker to keep his place after Wednesday. Also efe did just fine at right back against the rangers latterly and everyone thought team selection was positive. What more can he do when all 11 don't show up and then make two changes plus tactical changes wnen he could? The third goal just before half time made it mission impossible

J-C
17-12-2017, 08:26 AM
We played well again st Rangers and grabbed a draw against Celtic who dominated us for 70 mins. We've scraped a few draws and a couple of wins without actually playing that well. The blame lies fully with Lennon, players he signed sit on the bench or don't feature at all, playing players unfit and out of position and continuing to play certain players out of loyalty. Looking at this squad and the way they've played so far, I'd say we need about 6-7 players brought in, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 strikers and a goalie.

Baldy Foghorn
17-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Is it his fault the players all had a collective nightmare?

Harsh post from you, you love sticking the boot in

WhileTheChief..
17-12-2017, 08:42 AM
We played well again st Rangers and grabbed a draw against Celtic who dominated us for 70 mins. We've scraped a few draws and a couple of wins without actually playing that well. The blame lies fully with Lennon, players he signed sit on the bench or don't feature at all, playing players unfit and out of position and continuing to play certain players out of loyalty. Looking at this squad and the way they've played so far, I'd say we need about 6-7 players brought in, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 strikers and a goalie.

So basically the core of our team needs replaced and a new manager is required? That’s never going to happen.

Were you this critical of them when we won 4 on the bounce? Or when we won at Ibrox? Or when we beat Hearts?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to a crap result or you really don’t like much about the team just now.

I still think this is one of the best times I’ve ever had as a Hibs fan.

B.H.F.C
17-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Since we played Dundee we have won one game in six. That is pretty poor in fairness.

We should have won comfortably at Hamilton but other than that the performances recently have been average at best. You could exclude the Rangers game from that but we still managed to lose it.

Nothing less than three points next week is good enough.

J-C
17-12-2017, 09:18 AM
So basically the core of our team needs replaced and a new manager is required? That’s never going to happen.

Were you this critical of them when we won 4 on the bounce? Or when we won at Ibrox? Or when we beat Hearts?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to a crap result or you really don’t like much about the team just now.

I still think this is one of the best times I’ve ever had as a Hibs fan.

We've had good performances and poor ones, I feel the team collectively is very inconsistent and we never seem to get 2 games in a row the same. Is that down to Lennon, the players or both, does he know our strongest 11, I don't think he does. On paper we seem to have a strong squad but games are not played on paper, there are a few question marks over some players and the manager. As for 4 wins in a row, I'll take any win like most supporters bit I still expect to see decent football and a certain level of professionalism, the Hamilton game and yesterday is not what I want to see by team, someone has to take the blame that.

eastcoasthibby
17-12-2017, 09:29 AM
We cant seem to put a consistent team out on the pitch, with a couple of changes most games, I get it maybe is needed, but look at most teams who show little change of personnel, they stick with and most of the.time it works out! Is Lennon still searching for his best 11 ? Or trying to resolve the goalscoring or defensive flaws as they appear in every game ? Or using a rotation practise maybe when its not needed.

matty_f
17-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Since we played Dundee we have won one game in six. That is pretty poor in fairness.

We should have won comfortably at Hamilton but other than that the performances recently have been average at best. You could exclude the Rangers game from that but we still managed to lose it.

Nothing less than three points next week is good enough.

Pretty confused by this post, to be honest - about as confused as I was with Steve20's.

We were excellent against The Rangers, excellent against Celtc, ok against Partick, good against Hamilton...

Yesterday was the first really poor match since losing at home to Hamilton.

Some folk love talking the team down and sticking the boot in. I genuinely don't understand why people can't give credit where is due at times.

To say we've been poor for six games is ****ing nonsense.

keep the faith
17-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Pretty confused by this post, to be honest - about as confused as I was with Steve20's.

We were excellent against The Rangers, excellent against Celtc, ok against Partick, good against Hamilton...

Some folk love talking the team down and sticking the boot in. I genuinely don't understand why people can't give credit where is due at times.

Spot on and well said.

B.H.F.C
17-12-2017, 11:55 AM

We had a poor points return in those 6 games. I don't think that's talking 'f****** nonsense' as you put it just because you happen to disagree.

If you look at my posts elsewhere I've said I actually expect us to finish fourth. It doesn't mean that I can't express disappointment with our recent performances.

I don't see what was confusing about my post at all. In fact, read it back, I highlighted some of the points you have mentioned in relation to performances against Hamilton and The Rangers being decent. The problem is we got one point from those two games. If we don't fix that we won't end up where we want to be.

I'll give credit when it's due. My post related to those 6 games. In that period I don't think we have got anywhere near the points return we should have and that is a concern.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2017, 11:56 AM
I despair at some of our support, FFS we are 4th in the league.

Does anyone remember where we were competing the last time we were in the SPFL?

We are 4th, we have a new manager who's building a team, of course we will have off days, EVERY****IN team has them.

I'd love to know what our average position is in the top division, i dont know but i'd hazard a guess its lower than 4th?

This team are getting better, the last team we had here was relegated, the team are doing fine, could have been better but fine.

Already been a semi finalist in one cup, 4th in the league with apparently 6 new players and a new manager needed? :confused:

We've also had half of the back 4 injured at the same time, both right backs are injured, Swanson has hardly kicked a ball since signing, yet we are 4th.

Have a bit of bloody patience people, we are doing just fine.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Some should remember where we've came from and I'm not talking about the promoted excuse it's where we've came from in terms of years and years of ***** under gash managers.

Allant1981
17-12-2017, 12:11 PM

there is no way we need 6-7 new players, we need cover at RB, possibly an attacking midfielder and a striker

Eyrie
17-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I've been critical on here in the past about Lennon blaming the players when it's been his tactics at fault (eg last season's Scottish Cup semi) but given how poorly the entire team played yesterday it's very difficult to blame Lennon's tactics.

I despair at some of our support, FFS we are 4th in the league.

Does anyone remember where we were competing the last time we were in the SPFL?

We are 4th, we have a new manager who's building a team, of course we will have off days, EVERY****IN team has them.

I'd love to know what our average position is in the top division, i dont know but i'd hazard a guess its lower than 4th?

I worked this out a while back and starting with season 69/70, our average position is seventh. Our average in the cups is the last sixteen.

FitbaFolkKen
17-12-2017, 05:44 PM
I'm always intrigued by the comments that state the manager doesn't know his strongest 11. There is no such thing, it's a squad game and clearly there are going to be times when it is more effective to play one player instead of another.

There was also a comment elsewhere saying that teams that stick with the same 11 seem to do better. We are fourth in the league so can't be many teams doing so!

It's a good time to be a hibby, last couple of weeks have been a bit rubbish but a big chance to turn things over the next couple of weeks.

I felt worse after the St Johnstone and Hamilton games than I did yesterday.

I'm confident Neil will get a reaction.

GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
17-12-2017, 05:52 PM

I’m with you Matty but ironically Firhill wasn’t great

emerald green
17-12-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure what Lennon was trying to do by stating publicly that Hibs were the second best team in Scotland immediately before playing Aberdeen at Pittodrie. He and his team were then handed their ar*** on a plate.

What Lennon needs to find out immediately is WHY his team proceeded to deliver such an embarrassing and lacklustre display yesterday. I can take losing, but it was the manner of yesterday's collapse that's worrying.

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2017, 06:42 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

theonlywayisup
17-12-2017, 08:35 PM
I have been 100% supportive of Lennon, but I feel he got it totally wrong yesterday.

We're playing the 2nd best team in the country away from home, so I'd have played a much more solid midfield.

I would have preferred to have seen Slivka play alongside McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley. However, I say that with the benefit of hindsight.

I feel playing Barker, Murray and Boyle is great when we are playing the poorer teams in the league - but doesn't work when we need to win the midfield battle first. It's great when it goes well, but we're far too open when it's not.

Playing three at the back was very adventurous against a very pacy Aberdeen team.

wookie70
17-12-2017, 08:58 PM
I have been 100% supportive of Lennon, but I feel he got it totally wrong yesterday.

We're playing the 2nd best team in the country away from home, so I'd have played a much more solid midfield.

I would have preferred to have seen Slivka play alongside McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley. However, I say that with the benefit of hindsight.

I feel playing Barker, Murray and Boyle is great when we are playing the poorer teams in the league - but doesn't work when we need to win the midfield battle first. It's great when it goes well, but we're far too open when it's not.

Playing three at the back was very adventurous against a very pacy Aberdeen team.

Not sure we did play three at the back yesterday although the formation was run so ragged it was hard to tell at times. I think we went 4-3-3 judging how little defending Boyle and Barker did

B.H.F.C
17-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Not sure we did play three at the back yesterday although the formation was run so ragged it was hard to tell at times. I think we went 4-3-3 judging how little defending Boyle and Barker did

We didn't. Back four with Efe at RB.

wookie70
17-12-2017, 10:13 PM
We didn't. Back four with Efe at RB. I think he still thought he was playing in the right side of a three for the first goal. There is tucking and and then there is being so far away from a wide man you can't influence anything he does. Dylan more at fault for a very poor effort in tracking back and the centre halves not great standing waiting for the shot. Like most of the goals we concede, and probably other teams too, there were multiple mistakes all over the pitch starting with our goalie conceding a completely unnecessary throw in.

I actually think Efe has been pretty good when he has helped out at right back this season but he was very poor at times yesterday. Never gave in though and show more spirit than most

JOD
18-12-2017, 01:40 AM
What a load a pish on this thread.

We are 4th in league and to me a good and right position.

Get a life you lot and be grateful.

Being a Hibee can be a lot lot worse.

Trust me on that one.

Hail Hail

eastcoasthibby
18-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Until we stop shipping soft goals (mistakes, slack passing and marking, keeper errors, keeper not commanding his box) and missing chances a plenty then we are going.to struggle to stay in the top 6. Like in the Championship teams worked out how to play us and we weren't robust enough to force our style and didnt have a plan B, we need it and.the.players know what.it is clearly.
Let's take a reality check and get organised, work harder on our weaknesses and switch onto the fact you need.to be on the money for 90 minutes not 15-20 minutes which is what we get from too many every game.

WeeRussell
18-12-2017, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it mate. He's posted that on every thread containing any relevance to Saturday's game and then not stuck around when questioned :aok: