PDA

View Full Version : Balloon

ian omand
15-12-2017, 10:05 AM
What is it with this Charlie Nicholas character, today in his daily express column he talks about taking international matches around the country. He mentions parkhead (naturally) Pittodrie, ibrox, tynecastle but deliberately ignores easter road.
It's not the first time he has blanched us so what has our clumsy done to him that makeshe him like this?

Firestarter
15-12-2017, 10:47 AM
He used to play for Aberdeen and pbs you generally got a good game back in his day. Not sure why he wouldn't mention ER though perhaps he's not been in Scotland since the 90s?

Peevemor
15-12-2017, 10:49 AM
I think Duff Jimmy is one of his best mates ...

Bostonhibby
15-12-2017, 10:52 AM
There certainly seems to be a bit of a campaign going to get tiny castle and the school view lounge into the frame for "big" games, Shame they are not compliant for all of them, and I wonder how the obliging media will feel when they are sitting in the 8th wonder of the world at their wee steel table in the pouring rain with no cover?

tartanhibee
15-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Yet we still have more seats than tiny castle and that doesn’t include the ones the huns broke on wednesday

Thecat23
15-12-2017, 11:05 AM
That’s a strange one because he always talks Hibs up. When he used to do Scottish football with Sky years ago he would always fancy us to win and then talk about how he liked Hibs as we try play the right way.

Shame if he’s blanked us regarding venues for Scotland games.

Hiber-nation
15-12-2017, 11:07 AM
That’s a strange one because he always talks Hibs up. When he used to do Scottish football with Sky years ago he would always fancy us to win and then talk about how he liked Hibs as we try play the right way.

Shame if he’s blanked us regarding venues for Scotland games.

I think it's just a wee oversight. As you say he always talked Hibs up and I remember speaking to him years ago when he was with celtc and he said Hibs were his 2nd team!

Michael
15-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Who actually cares?

Lewisman
15-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Who actually cares?
Nick Cave maybe.

scuttle
15-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Hope he is a better writer than he is a speaker. Don't know what language he speaks

greenginger
15-12-2017, 11:28 AM
I also saw a piece in one of the rags insisting Hampden must be retained as a neutral venue ! :confused:

A neutral venue with a Hun end and a Smellies end. Scottish football in a nut shell.

Carheenlea
15-12-2017, 11:30 AM
He's not the only one to do this to be fair to Charlie.
The bizzare hyping of Tynecastle as some incredible stadium seems to be ingrained in people's heads following years of championing, none more vigorously than themselves with their classic "one of the worlds must atmospheric stadiums" nonsense in the Hearts official website.
It's a good ground, but not as suited as ours is to host international fixtures. I imagine the SFA will see through the hype and know this fine well also.

ian omand
15-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Who actually cares?

Who cares?
Well I would rather the revenue for staging these matches came to us rather than our chums across the city.

Michael
15-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Who cares?
Well I would rather the revenue for staging these matches came to us rather than our chums across the city.

Yeah, but we're still far more likely to host Scotland matches regardless of the fact someone didn't mention our stadium on the radio.

greenginger
15-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Yeah, but we're still far more likely to host Scotland matches regardless of the fact someone didn't mention our stadium on the radio.

Especially when our Rod becomes SFA head beak. :agree:

ian omand
15-12-2017, 12:23 PM

The point is he choose not to mention easter road in his newspaper column.
I am aware that the people who decide who stages games are familiar with our stadium, I juse don't think it is right that this guy ignored us.

Alan62
15-12-2017, 12:43 PM
I'd bet any money that the Easter Road oversight has more to do with the guy who actually wrote (or edited) it than old Charlie trying to big up TinyCastle himself.

Ozyhibby
15-12-2017, 01:18 PM
I haven’t actually seen any evidence that Tynecastle is not compliant? If anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
15-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I haven’t actually seen any evidence that Tynecastle is not compliant? If anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.

Apparently their pitch isn't big enough and lacks safe run off areas.

lapsedhibee
15-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Can't give a link, sorry, but safe to conclude the stadium ain't fully compliant as Mrs Bodge only ever claims that the 8th Wonder is a UEFA compliant stand, not that the whole stadium is UEFA compliant. (Or complaint, as she would right.)

O'Rourke3
15-12-2017, 08:31 PM
The issue might be the OP thinks the column under CNs name had any involvment with CN and that he even read if before giving his OK. If there is ever a Full International played at TP ever again I will have Grammo sit face down in a bath of beans. Not only are there specifications on pitch size and run off areas there are tiny details like changing room size etc. I'm sure the SFA wil love to sanction games where they are in among the great unwashed with a shared exit to the vomitorium.

tamig
15-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Pitch is too wee.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/384541-dimensions-of-a-uefa-soccer-field/