PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

drkhibs
14-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Last night was another very, very poor performance from SJM.

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Still one of favourite players but really needs to get his act together.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?

greenlex
14-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Poor yes but very very poor naw. Not a great deal if help inThe midfield last night. There wasn’t a lot of easy out balls the style we were playing.t

Ozyhibby
14-12-2017, 01:56 PM
I thought he was excellent first half. Not sure why Hibs fans are so keen to get rid of our best players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drkhibs
14-12-2017, 02:03 PM
I thought he was excellent first half. Not sure why Hibs fans are so keen to get rid of our best players.

Do people here actually take the time to read and understand posts on here, SJM is one of my favourite players, just think he is bogged down by trying to show how physically strong he is with the shielding tactics...and it is I being noticed by opponents who are now able to pick him off..

AgentDaleCooper
14-12-2017, 02:06 PM
He wasn't at his best but he played some beautiful passes.

sauzee_4
14-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Were you guys watching the same game as me? John mcginn was outstanding. Smashing into tackles, agressive, and two or three left foot switches of play which were straight out of the top drawer.

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this up

CallumLaidlaw
14-12-2017, 02:19 PM
hmm, Is that Brendan Rodgers??? Look Brendan, no matter how much you talk SJM down, you AIN'T getting him cheap in January!!!!

SJM wasn't at his best last night, but he's had some very good games recently and to suggest he's gone backwards this season is simply wrong.

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?

Nonsense in terms of going backwards wasnt great last night and was crowded out a few times but personally think he has been very good this year. His performance in the last derby for example was very good and was good on Sunday also.

lucky
14-12-2017, 02:24 PM
SJM is our best player by a mile. When he leaves we will be considerably poorer. Last night was not his best game but very few players are great every game

BH Hibs
14-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Not his best game last night but very very poor? Gone backwards? Utter bollocks mate.

HoboHarry
14-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Don't feed the troll...........:stirrer:

Salt N Sauzee
14-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Thoughts?

Clueless. :troll:

Thecat23
14-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Laughable to say he’s gone backwards this season. I take it you haven’t watched many hibs games this season then? Or you are just trolling either way SJM is has been very good and Lennon wants to keep him as long as possible.

Alan62
14-12-2017, 02:52 PM
McGinn and McGeough were both hussled in midfield last night because of our tactical set up. McGinn didn't have his best game and lost the ball a lot but he wasn't bad by any means and actually improved as the game went on.

18Hibee75
14-12-2017, 02:52 PM
He's got physically stronger, technically better (some of his passes are absolutely brilliant), and now looks more of a goal threat than ever and loves a good tackle. To say he has gone backwards is just a complete lie. I didn't think he was brilliant last night, he played some great passes and got out of some very tight areas a lot of the time. He wasn't very very poor. Ludicrous.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
14-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Given both McGinn and McGeoch were playing against a midfield with a man extra until Shaw went off they were both excellent.

Cummings suffered from Hibs fans who never took to him. I feel McGinn is the same. He’ll be sorely missed when he goes.

bigwheel
14-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Backwards this season ? ...he is stronger, quicker and more Consistent...May I suggest less glue sniffing before games ? [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Famousfivehh
14-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Perhaps our expectation from him is so high that any and every error is magnified. Actually thought he had a decent game last night.

DH1875
14-12-2017, 02:59 PM
I would agree that he wasn't at his best last night but have no arguments with anyone who disagrees, its all about opinions after all. One thing I will say though is that I wish he would take more shots on at goal. He's proven in the past he can do it and should do it more often. I don't think he does it enough.

J-C
14-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Good 1st half and a poor 2nd, having 2 in the middle didn't help as it means they are outnumbered and have to do more grafting work, definitely plays better in a midfield 3 as was shown on sunday against Celtic.

ancient hibee
14-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Suffered because Bartley wasn’ t there to do a lot of the dirty work and give him the ball in a bit of space.Also not helped by the defence constantly giving him the ball when he already had a couple of players on him.Once Ambrose and Hanlon listened to Lennon’s shouts to press forward with the ball themselves it created more space for McGinn.

Shrekko
14-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Great player even when he’s not at his best. Those unconvinced will be swayed when he’s not here!!

‘Very very poor’.... dearie me.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 03:28 PM
He had too much to do. The way we shaped last night didn't give McGinn the chance to peform.

When's the Bartman back

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Suffered because Bartley wasn’ t there to do a lot of the dirty work and give him the ball in a bit of space.Also not helped by the defence constantly giving him the ball when he already had a couple of players on him.Once Ambrose and Hanlon listened to Lennon’s shouts to press forward with the ball themselves it created more space for McGinn.

:top marks

G B Young
14-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you are talking drivel. McGinn is developing into a very fine player. Looking forward to seeing him excel again at Tynecastle in a couple of weeks as we make in nine in a row against the yams. You'll be looking forward to that too I'm sure?

CMurdoch
14-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Clueless. :troll:

Correcto

drkhibs
14-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Laughable to say he’s gone backwards this season. I take it you haven’t watched many hibs games this season then? Or you are just trolling either way SJM is has been very good and Lennon wants to keep him as long as possible.

I'm a season ticket holder in the East mate, attend every home game and have supported Hibs since my first game in 1971, so not a troll just expressing an opinion and interested to hear what others think.

Reason I don't post much is the usual OTT responses a perceived negative post generates on this forum.

So in summary neither a troll, yam or Brendan Rodgers in disguise...just a loyal Hibs supporting expressing an opinion, who hopes SJM is here performing well for many years to come.

NAE NOOKIE
14-12-2017, 04:03 PM
SJM's performance last night was fairly typical of what happens to him once every few games where his short passing is off, he has a tendency when that happens to under hit passes of a distance between 10 and 20 yards and they get intercepted and I would agree he sometimes holds the ball a bit too long which can lead to him getting closed down and dispossessed.

But that's the guys game along with hitting some at times sublime long passes, in fact he is probably the best long passer of the ball in the whole league on his day. Most of the time he is a very affective player and this season more often than not his performance has been excellent. To say he has gone backwards is nonsense.

Thecat23
14-12-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm a season ticket holder in the East mate, attend every home game and have supported Hibs since my first game in 1971, so not a troll just expressing an opinion and interested to hear what others think.

Reason I don't post much is the usual OTT responses a perceived negative post generates on this forum.

So in summary neither a troll, yam or Brendan Rodgers in disguise...just a loyal Hibs supporting expressing an opinion, who hopes SJM is here performing well for many years to come.

I wasn’t calling you a yam, nothing at all wrong putting across your opinion either. But come on you surely have to be ready for a bit backlash to this. SJM has been very good so I honestly can’t understand how you think he’s went back the way. He’s now in the Scotland squad getting teams watching him so I think you are way off with this.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Maybe if you try facing the pitch, you would get a better view on how he's improved season on end.

Gone backward. :faf:

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Maybe if you try facing the pitch, you would get a better view on how he's improved season on end.

Gone backward. :faf:

:faf::faf:

Captain Trips
14-12-2017, 04:34 PM
The guy has bad games so does Ronaldo its normal. SJM has had way more good than bad and a fair few exceptional.

Borderhibbie76
14-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Were you guys watching the same game as me? John mcginn was outstanding. Smashing into tackles, agressive, and two or three left foot switches of play which were straight out of the top drawer.

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this upSorry mate but he was nowhere near outstanding...he was poor. Slow loose passes and wasted so many corners and free kicks...can't for the life of me see where u get outstanding from?? Big fam of SJM but thought that was one of his poorest matches for us last nite. He deffo missed Bartley of that I'm certain

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I agree with the OP. I love Mcginn and believe he can go on and have a very successful career, I just don't share the same opinion as the majority on him - which is cool and I won't call anyone clueless because my opinion differs!!

For me his best season in a hibs strip was his first when nobody really knew much about him. He was so dynamic and his little turn and drive at pace was an absolute joy to watch.

He's bulked up and has had plenty games this season he's bossed but he's also had his quiet games where he's gave the ball away numerous times and I'd have liked him to control things more. But he's not Stevenson, efe or whitty so won't be called out for it.

He was drawn into dog fight with Brown on Sunday and has been commended for it. Why? That's not his game. He should be imposing his style on games not stopping or going toe to toe with a deep lying playmaker. For me, Brown and the likes should have been chasing him around the park

Last night he missed Marv beside him. If Marv had played and allowed SJM to play further forward he would have ran riot because he is streets ahead of what they had on the park.

I'd like to see him chipping in with more goals and assists but love his attitude to the game. Hopefully he'll continue his development with us till the end of the season at least.

Wish the club offered him better terms at some point over the last 18 months as I believe it's truly deserved

-Jonesy-
14-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Claiming to have a ST is my fav defence of absolute slavering pash on this forum

Stuart93
14-12-2017, 05:07 PM
£2m to Celtic in January loaned back til the end of the season is my bet.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I was going to post a few criticisms of John McGinn both last night and in general but decided against it because I'd probably get a better response if I suggested we approach Vladimir Romanov to become chairman with Rudi Skacel as manager.

He's a fine player but he's not infallible. His decision making is questionable at times, he often turns into trouble when it's uneccessary and his passing can be hit and miss. I'm glad we have him and I'll be sad to see him go when he inevitably moves on but he's not above criticism and some of his play on the ball last night was poor.

There was a point in the 2nd half last night when Neil Lennon went absolutely ballistic at him twice in about 5 minites so he obviously had a few issues and frustrations as well.

eastterrace
14-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Great player even when he’s not at his best. Those unconvinced will be swayed when he’s not here!!

‘Very very poor’.... dearie me.

Spot on mate , I was thru at Partick and he wasn’t playing and we missed him big time. Some fans just talk mince

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibee92
14-12-2017, 05:38 PM
£2m to Celtic in January loaned back til the end of the season is my bet.

Clueless

Still Smiling
14-12-2017, 05:41 PM
McGinn is class, always looking for the ball, draws numerous fouls and delivers some great passes. Does not always work but does not shy away from responsibility.

Hibs90
14-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Didn't think he had his best game last night but if he was perfect every game he wouldn't be here.

HoboHarry
14-12-2017, 05:42 PM
So based on some of the threads over the last few days, McGinn is overrated, Marciano is s***e, Stokes is a lazy barsteward and Whittaker is useless but on the bright side we did play Sevco off the park last night.

Ferk it, ah cannae keep up wi these internet experts.......

ancient hibee
14-12-2017, 05:43 PM
How can people expect him to be good all the time when he's playing against better players than he has over the last two seasons?

Stuart93
14-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Clueless

👍🏼

Smartie
14-12-2017, 06:07 PM
I've seen a lot of talk of John McGinn being poor last night - just didn't see it myself.

He was immense during the first half, really dominating, as was Stokes.

He fell out of the game a bit in the second half and made the odd mistake but we were still well on top and he was making a contribution.

No, it wasn't his best game but he must be setting really high standards if we're picking fault with that.

Ronniekirk
14-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Barry Ferguson urges The Rangers to buy Mcginn Newsfeed article today
Is he really so thick and deluded that he thinks The Rangers can afford him and that he would even consider want ing to go there

S4uzee
14-12-2017, 08:08 PM
The boy is outstanding with a fantasic attitude/mentality which we badly needed .... settle down guys

we are hibs
14-12-2017, 08:22 PM
He needs to learn when to pass and stop getting caught on the ball. Happening far too much recently. I still don't think he's fully fit.

Albanian Hibs
14-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Thought he had one of his worst games as a Hibs player.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2017, 08:36 PM
I was going to post a few criticisms of John McGinn both last night and in general but decided against it because I'd probably get a better response if I suggested we approach Vladimir Romanov to become chairman with Rudi Skacel as manager.

He's a fine player but he's not infallible. His decision making is questionable at times, he often turns into trouble when it's uneccessary and his passing can be hit and miss. I'm glad we have him and I'll be sad to see him go when he inevitably moves on but he's not above criticism and some of his play on the ball last night was poor.

There was a point in the 2nd half last night when Neil Lennon went absolutely ballistic at him twice in about 5 minites so he obviously had a few issues and frustrations as well.

Exactly this. He's a fine player and I really like him but as you suggest, he's not perfect.

For the OP to say he's gone backwards though is bizarre :dunno:

tamig
14-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Compared to the high standards he’s set for himself, I don’t think SJM has put in a decent performance for a few weeks now. He always does a few excellent things during a game but he can do some poor and frustrating things too. Last night was one of his more ineffective nights imo.

S4uzee
14-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Thought he had one of his worst games as a Hibs player.

Rather exaggerated and OTT.

He was played in a central 2 vs a diamond 4. Stupid decision to not play a central 3

Blocks Biloxi
14-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Rather exaggerated and OTT.

He was played in a central 2 vs a diamond 4. Stupid decision to not play a central 3

This. Lennon got carried away with 3 up top and realised too late. 3-5-2 with someone tracking Windass would have still been more than enough to win by a couple of goals last night.

majorhibs
14-12-2017, 09:22 PM
After a game 3 days before, where everyone talked about him v Brown, a hard game, last night imo SJM was his usual very good, high quality self, a player like that who takes on anything & everything in the middle of the park, tight balls from teammates, 50/50s, challenges, not everything is going to come off, but for a 22 year old, SJM is an outstanding prospect, any dreamers that think we are not gonna miss him when he goes are way way out there imo!

S4uzee
14-12-2017, 09:24 PM
This. Lennon got carried away with 3 up top and realised too late. 3-5-2 with someone tracking Windass would have still been more than enough to win by a couple of goals last night.

Totally agree. It was criminal to play 2 in there. Even Slivka should’ve played if Marv wasn’t 100%

GreenOnions
14-12-2017, 09:48 PM

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this up

I agree with this.

How anyone can say he was poor last night is beyond belief. We bossed 75% of the game - including the midfield - and McGinn was at the heart of that with Dylan.

Dear oh dear :confused:

CraigHibee
14-12-2017, 09:52 PM

Thoughts?

pish

wookie70
14-12-2017, 09:52 PM
I agree with this.

How anyone can say he was poor last night is beyond belief. We bossed 75% of the game - including the midfield - and McGinn was at the heart of that with Dylan.

Dear oh dear :confused:

I'm the same, I thought he played very well for the majority of the game. Some great passes and crunching tackles and always looking to get involved and drive us forward

Paisley Hibby
14-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Thoughts?

What a load of rubbish. Who do you think we should have played instead of SJM?

Capt Mainwaring
14-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Thoughts?

Bollocks

Dr_Regal
15-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Thought he was extremely poor last night, lost the ball in decent positions and his passing was quite poor. Seemed to make wrong decisions all night. Couple of nice balls and decent turns but we need more from our best player.

Mantis Toboggan
15-12-2017, 01:17 AM
It wasn't a game where he got an assist or a goal. Apart from that he was everywhere and trying to make things happen. The original post is reactionary at best.

truehibernian
15-12-2017, 02:23 AM
Thought he had a good game, my only criticism would be his tendency this season to get caught in possession too often at the edge of our box when playing out. Against The Rangers he never hid and was a driving force. Always improving and teams now doubling up on him yet he still comes out on top.

Davy Mac
15-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Disagree with the original poster, I thought McGinn was very good once again and how teams like Rangers can only dream of having a player like him these days.

I think we can forgive him for a couple of wayward passes but in my opinion that was due to how well organised and hard working Rangers were, which is painful to say.

Finally, that was an example of how good Hibs could be under Lennon and if we just up another signing level of a player and get another striker in, then it's all building nicely for 2018.

drkhibs
15-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Exactly this. He's a fine player and I really like him but as you suggest, he's not perfect.

For the OP to say he's gone backwards though is bizarre :dunno:

Jonnyboy, I agree he is a fine player but in my opinion he has gone backward in terms of his overall performance so far this season

He has stepped up from playing in the Championship and is now facing more organised teams and better quality opponents. They are more able to read elements of his game, which leads to some of the things mentioned by several posts on here -caught in possession etc.

I agree with other posters that certain of Neil Lennon's team selections and formation have not helped him and he has been left exposed in some games. He would still be my first name on the Hibs team sheet each week.

In terms of bare stats this season I think its played 24 games, 4 goals scored and I'm struggling to find if he has actually had any assists. He has also picked up 9 yellow cards so far. So perhaps some evidence that he is adjusting to a higher level of play and expectation.

Happy to hear from other posters as to what elements of his overall game you think SJM has actually improved in this season from last, rather than just spout the predictable emotional comments of, clueless, pish, pash, drivel etc when you don't agree with something...I'm sure we are all intelligent enough to have a reasoned debate.

Michael
15-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I think this has been his best season yet. He's much more consistent and even when he has a bad game he's still pretty decent IMO.

Smartie
15-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Things can change very quickly in football.

It might not be very long before we're longing for a player to play as "badly" as John McGinn did on Wednesday night.

I actually don't think it does him (or us) any favours to take our set pieces. In open play he is generally superb, but his set piece deliveries really aren't great at all, so when you look back on a game it is easier to focus on a few ballooned crosses or sclaffed free-kicks than the many good contributions made during open play.

Baker9
15-12-2017, 02:00 PM
SJM is our best player by a mile. When he leaves we will be considerably poorer. Last night was not his best game but very few players are great every game

:thumbsup: He can look poor from time to time because he takes on all the difficult stuff with a high risk of failure. We need him to keep doing what he does for however long we can keep him.

GreenOnions
15-12-2017, 03:41 PM
I think this has been his best season yet. He's much more consistent and even when he has a bad game he's still pretty decent IMO.

I agree with this - he's definitely moved his game up this season. He's the real deal now and has been dominant in games against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers.

I thought he was excellent on Wednesday night. He doesn't always find a man with his passes but he usually does. When he doesn't - it's generally because his job is to play the final, through ball which is the most difficult.

Obviously I'm not saying he can't improve - but he's doing extremely well for this stage in his career.

I really liked McGeouch's performance against The Rangers too but he played deeper. McGinn was the outstanding player on the pitch for me.

BSEJVT
15-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Its like deja vu on the Stokes thread this thread, only slight difference is that SJM has more supporters than Stokes :-)

I bet you could go back to the advent of Hibs net and see similar debates on the best players of that time with some thinking they could do more and others thinking they can do no wrong.

As ever the truth probably lies in the middle.

Seems to me that the more you achieve, the more some folk expect of you to the point that nothing you can do satisfies them and anything less than a 10/10 performance each week leads to criticism.

Conversely for some other folk one good spell of form means you are exempt from criticism for all time.

My view SJM had a pretty up and down game, some very good, some poor and some okay.

Like many the regular sticking out of his arse infuriates me but SJM has a huge heart and balls of steel to try and do some of the things he does.

Its relatively simple to tackle anything and play non threatening passes whilst retaining possession but guys prepared to try something at at a premium and are often unjustly criticised when it doesn't pan out.

My criticism of SJM (and it is more of Neil Lennon) is that he is too often trying to do to many jobs by tracking back and tackling as well as trying to break forward and create things.

I would rather see SJM preserve his energy for forward forays and breaking forward to get beyond strikers which IMO this team badly lacks

I love having SJM at Hibs and probably more than anyone else on the books at present he is responsible for the reconnection between the support and the team.

Unseen work
15-12-2017, 08:10 PM
One of McGinns biggest strengths is also one of his biggest weaknesses imo

His strength

In some situations he is fantastic and can hold off boys, turn them and get away from them brilliantly

In others it’s like he is trying to show everyone how strong he is unnecessarily and instead of playing a simple pass he loses the ball, normally in threatening position.

It’s like he thinks no matter what position he is in or who he is against he can protect the ball and no one can get it off him.

SRHibs
15-12-2017, 08:12 PM
If we make enough threads about how ***** John McGinn is word should get around that he’s not worth signing. Genius plan guys.

jacomo
15-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Barry Ferguson urges The Rangers to buy Mcginn Newsfeed article today
Is he really so thick and deluded that he thinks The Rangers can afford him and that he would even consider want ing to go there

I worry that this criticism will turn him into Barry Ferguson - always taking the sideways pass and pointing, rather than taking risks and driving at opponents.

His decision making can definitely improve, but midfielders like him are rare enough already.

DavidDavidGray
15-12-2017, 09:55 PM
McGinn has been exceptional this season, made a few dodgy decisions against Rangers (trying to dribble through when a pass was a better option mainly) but also made a few great passes and runs with the ball. Will be a big loss when he goes as nobody else midfield wise seems to have that energy, strength and passing ability that McGinn has. Players like him are difficult to get, can we just appreciate him while he’s here instead of criticising him and saying he’s gone backwards after one dodgy game?

drkhibs
16-12-2017, 12:53 PM
McGinn has been exceptional this season, made a few dodgy decisions against Rangers (trying to dribble through when a pass was a better option mainly) but also made a few great passes and runs with the ball. Will be a big loss when he goes as nobody else midfield wise seems to have that energy, strength and passing ability that McGinn has. Players like him are difficult to get, can we just appreciate him while he’s here instead of criticising him and saying he’s gone backwards after one dodgy game?

One dodgy game??

He is keek again today..mind you so are most of team mates...

Kenny McLean and Graeme Shinnie head and shoulders above our entire midfield.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2017, 01:24 PM
I worry that this criticism will turn him into Barry Ferguson - always taking the sideways pass and pointing, rather than taking risks and driving at opponents.

His decision making can definitely improve, but midfielders like him are rare enough already.

If McGinn turned out to be half as good as the crab we would have a cracking player.

Johnny_Leith
16-12-2017, 01:25 PM
If McGinn turned out to be half as good as the crab we would have a cracking player.

Agreed. Ferguson was a great player.

Scottie
16-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Agreed. Ferguson was a great player.
Aye at passing sideways :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
16-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Aye at passing sideways :greengrin

Haha aye, he could do the rest of it pretty well too

Scottie
16-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Haha aye, he could do the rest of it pretty well too
:agree: He was a good player surrounded by other good players. Thats what EBT's gets you.

Ronniekirk
17-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Willie Miller just loved telling radio listeners how good the Aberdeen Midfield were and how poor S J M was
Calling into question how S J M is international and none of the Aberdeen Midfield are

We just love to try and bring players down when they have been doing well

bigwheel
17-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Willie Miller just loved telling radio listeners how good the Aberdeen Midfield were and how poor S J M was
Calling into question how S J M is international and none of the Aberdeen Midfield are

True Ronnie...but on yesterday's performance alone it was fair. Shinnie looked a class above them all - McGinn and McGeouch looked like young boys. During it, I said to my mate that it reminded me of a young Barry Ferguson getting schooled in the art of the game by Sauzee at ER years ago...

Hopefully it will fire them up to do the same back when they come back too our place.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2017, 11:20 AM

We are building a team, Aberdeen have had stability for quite a few years. Saying that, Aberdeen are a good side, i got pelters a few weeks ago for saying i'd swap EVERY player they have for ours.

If we did that, we'd be 2nd not 4th.

JimBHibees
18-12-2017, 09:58 AM

Agree with that think he has been very good. Looks stronger and more consistent performances.

NAE NOOKIE
18-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Its like deja vu on the Stokes thread this thread, only slight difference is that SJM has more supporters than Stokes :-)

I bet you could go back to the advent of Hibs net and see similar debates on the best players of that time with some thinking they could do more and others thinking they can do no wrong.

As ever the truth probably lies in the middle.

Seems to me that the more you achieve, the more some folk expect of you to the point that nothing you can do satisfies them and anything less than a 10/10 performance each week leads to criticism.

Conversely for some other folk one good spell of form means you are exempt from criticism for all time.

My view SJM had a pretty up and down game, some very good, some poor and some okay.

Like many the regular sticking out of his arse infuriates me but SJM has a huge heart and balls of steel to try and do some of the things he does.

Its relatively simple to tackle anything and play non threatening passes whilst retaining possession but guys prepared to try something at at a premium and are often unjustly criticised when it doesn't pan out.

My criticism of SJM (and it is more of Neil Lennon) is that he is too often trying to do to many jobs by tracking back and tackling as well as trying to break forward and create things.

I would rather see SJM preserve his energy for forward forays and breaking forward to get beyond strikers which IMO this team badly lacks

I love having SJM at Hibs and probably more than anyone else on the books at present he is responsible for the reconnection between the support and the team.

The highlighted bit in spades and buckets ...... I have been saying all season that SJM is at times playing far too deep, he is the one guy we have in midfield who can actually shoot from distance, McGeouch's shooting is woeful and Bartley hasn't had a shot in all the time he has been here that I can recall.

The other thing that Hibs have been poor at for season upon season is getting midfield runners beyond the ball carrier .... watch the best teams, when they have a midfielder on the ball guys are sprinting past him looking for a forward pass, in fact Aberdeen did that to great effect more than once on Saturday. That's why in games against the likes of Ross County I would prefer to see Slivka or Fraser Murray on the pitch ... in fact Murray has shown in the games I have seen him play that getting in advance of the ball is something he is very good at, probably the most forward thinking midfield player we have and I would like to see him get a chance to prove it.

Jim44
18-12-2017, 11:32 AM
We are building a team, Aberdeen have had stability for quite a few years. Saying that, Aberdeen are a good side, i got pelters a few weeks ago for saying i'd swap EVERY player they have for ours.

:agree: I think the Cup, promotion and some really good results and performances have raised expectations and hopes. The truth is that we are good side in the making and will do well to re-establish ourselves as a top six Scottish Premiership side, not flirting with relegation.

-Jonesy-
18-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Aye, cos we'd be Aberdeen, not Hibs

lapsedhibee
18-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Claiming to have a ST is my fav defence of absolute slavering pash on this forum
A flimsy defence on its own, certainly, but always convincing if it's been held for 40 years.