PDA

View Full Version : Trying to walk the ball into the net

we are hibs
14-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Can we stop this? Don't know how many times we had a chance to shoot from 25 yards last night and decided to pass it on which eventually led to a move breaking down, it's been like this all season and it's starting to get irritating

Ozyhibby
14-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Can we stop this? Don't know how many times we had a chance to shoot from 25 yards last night and decided to pass it on which eventually led to a move breaking down, it's been like this all season and it's starting to get irritating

We are not very good at shooting from distance which are low percentage shots for most teams anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patlowe
14-12-2017, 01:02 PM
I think for the most part the players made the right choices in shuffling the ball around to probe and try to make space behind the Rangers defence. The problem was a lack of killer instinct in the box, whether that be the wide men (who were outstanding in all other aspects) or the centre forwards.

It's frustrating when things break down but I actually love the way we play at the moment, it's a really exciting combination of speed and composure in moving the ball through defence and midfield into attack. I genuinely feel it was just a combination of bad luck and lack of an out and out goalscorer that stopped us turning that game around last night.

Stevie Reid
14-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Barker hit the post with two shots from distance, and hit a third not far over the bar. Our biggest problem all night was people not getting on the end of his and Boyle's (in particular) good deliveries.

Deansy
14-12-2017, 01:10 PM

With you on this - it's something that's been happening in every single xxxxxxx game !. The 'Tippy-Tappy' stuff is costing us points !

hibbysam
14-12-2017, 01:12 PM

I wish we did try and walk it in, Boyle may then have squared it to Murray/Stokes at 1-0 and game would have been as well as done.

NAE NOOKIE
14-12-2017, 01:30 PM
It was an observation a neutral observer who was with me last night made during the game ... this by the way is a guy who has watched football all his life and watched the Busby babes play and the double winning Spurs team too.

Its something I've been frustrated by all season .... I get that with two wingers we are looking to get behind teams and play the ball across the box, but when opportunities to shoot do materialise at the edge of the box we don't take the shot on enough. Watch the highlights from any league in the country this weekend and I guarantee you at least a quarter of the goals will be scored from 18 yards of more.

lapsedhibee
15-12-2017, 08:56 AM
It was an observation a neutral observer who was with me last night made during the game ... this by the way is a guy who has watched football all his life and watched the Busby babes play and the double winning Spurs team too.

Its something I've been frustrated by all season .... I get that with two wingers we are looking to get behind teams and play the ball across the box, but when opportunities to shoot do materialise at the edge of the box we don't take the shot on enough. Watch the highlights from any league in the country this weekend and I guarantee you at least a quarter of the goals will be scored from 18 yards of more.

No team in the EPL has scored a quarter of their goals from outside the box this season.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_obox_goal

Scottie
15-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Tippy tappy s***e. :greengrin

Great to watch but need an end product like putting he ball in the back of the net. Had the chances but didn't take them.

PeeJay
15-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Think you're wrong there ... seems to me that shooting from 25 yards out is mostly a sign of a team's frustration and inability to work the ball and team further forward into better goal-scoaring positions - and as has been said elsewhere many of the shots from beyond the box end up beyond the field of play ... BTW - irritating is part of the joy of being a HIbs fan :greengrin

Vini1875
15-12-2017, 09:51 AM
I think people like all these 25 yard goals because they are memorable, but often it is because they are fairly rare. I am sure there will stats somewhere about how many goals are scored from outside the box and it is nowhere near a quarter, but I am sure I remember it being quoted as 1 in 30, goals to shots.

Cabbage East
15-12-2017, 10:06 AM
I think for the most part the players made the right choices in shuffling the ball around to probe and try to make space behind the Rangers defence. The problem was a lack of killer instinct in the box, whether that be the wide men (who were outstanding in all other aspects) or the centre forwards.

It's frustrating when things break down but I actually love the way we play at the moment, it's a really exciting combination of speed and composure in moving the ball through defence and midfield into attack. I genuinely feel it was just a combination of bad luck and lack of an out and out goalscorer that stopped us turning that game around last night.

Bang on.

J-C
15-12-2017, 11:16 AM
If you watch the shooting drills pre match you'll understand why we don't take more shots. :devil:

It's one thing that really frustrated me about some of our players, they never the the shot on when it's there, instead it's an extra touch and then chance is gone.

Not In The Know
15-12-2017, 11:28 AM
http://eplindex.com/9750/premier-league-long-range-shots-opta-stats-comparison.html

ancient hibee
15-12-2017, 03:27 PM
If you watch the shooting drills pre match you'll understand why we don't take more shots. :devil:

It's one thing that really frustrated me about some of our players, they never the the shot on when it's there, instead it's an extra touch and then chance is gone.

Too many are one footed.You could just about see Stevenson end himself when he realised he was going to have to hit it with his right foot instead of switching it.

Eaststandee
15-12-2017, 03:35 PM
I think people are getting confused by "we should have a pop from outside of the box now and then." and "all our shots should come from outside the box." Some may say Barker did have a couple of shots, but they both came from wide positions, it's when the ball falls to Mcgeouch and McGinn on the edge central and they play it back out wide when they should be having an effort.

Alan62
15-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Leaving the ground on Wednesday, we were speculating about how many goals Jason Cummings playing for us as a penalty box striker would have scored in that game. Pure fantasy, of course, but none of our 'strikers' were employed in that role.

SingaporeHibs
15-12-2017, 04:13 PM
It's maybe not so much from 25 yards but the opportunity from 16-20 yards that's most frustrating. We do hesitate as a team at that range. On the flip side of that was the balls fired around the 6 yard area with seemingly no one near it. This should be MUrrays bread and butter and was at the start of the season. What's changed? Is he being told to play a different way? With 3 strikers on the pitch surely one of them was told to be the guy always to be around the middle of the goal when attacking?

eastcoasthibby
16-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Too many players are shot shy around and in the box ..in every game its noticeable players make half a yard of space and dont pull the trigger, why ? Usually a forward is desperate to shoot on sight, and as a midfielder I always wanted.to have a pop at goal, in doing that ypu just never.know how its.going to go , a save, a parry, a miss, a goal, a deflection, ..if you dont try it its definitely not.going to happen. ...we need more goals😲

Clerie Green
16-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Hit the ***** thing !:giruy2:

Moulin Yarns
16-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Too many players are shot shy around and in the box ..in every game its noticeable players make half a yard of space and dont pull the trigger, why ? Usually a forward is desperate to shoot on sight, and as a midfielder I always wanted.to have a pop at goal, in doing that ypu just never.know how its.going to go , a save, a parry, a miss, a goal, a deflection, ..if you dont try it its definitely not.going to happen. ...we need more goals😲

The other side of the coin I have noticed is the times someone tries a shot from around the edge of the box it is invariably charged down, in other words the shot was never on in the first place and a pass was the better option.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Idea isnt the problem, execution is.

we are hibs
16-12-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm not saying shoot every time we get within 30 yards of the opponents goal but try it more often, there is times when players have time to shoot but the opt to pass instead and it leads to nothing, if you don't shoot, you don't score