PDA

View Full Version : Marciano v Foderingham

Spike Mandela
14-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Not really comparing them overall just two incidents last night.

Boyle’s chance one on one Foderingham got his angles all right and stayed big and on his feet making it really difficult to score.

Marciano at their second goal got it all wrong, not staying big, diving far too early and leaving a massive space for them to score from a tight angle.

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.

SChibs
14-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Marciano made a split second decision and got it wrong that's all. These things happen unfortunately

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Boyle’s chance one on one Foderingham got his angles all right and stayed big and on his feet making it really difficult to score.

Marciano at their second goal got it all wrong, not staying big, diving far too early and leaving a massive space for them to score from a tight angle.

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.

When you look at our two goals lost, the number of basic mistakes were frightening. Efe for the first attacking the ball not getting it leaving a huge gap to run in to. Marciano angles all over the place. Second Hanlon horrific in one on one and Marciano awful.

Iain G
14-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Rocky really needs to work on his positioning, he half came for a ball into the box earlier and got left in no man's land, worst thing for a keeper to do IMHO, either come gather / clear it or stay on your line, thankfully at that point the Rangers lad put it wide...but for me there are some worrying signs he is unsure of what to do at times and second guessing himself.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Marciano also saved us from being slaughtered on Sunday.

Foderingham meanwhile contributed to more than a couple of our goals in the 15/16 season - especially April/May 2016

It happens unfortunately, particularly at this level

Pretty Boy
14-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.

Iain G
14-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.

He dived away from his front post, he tried to anticipate the cross instead of reacting to the shot. He was at fault and should not lose a goal at his near post like that.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2017, 10:51 AM
He dived away from his front post, he tried to anticipate the cross instead of reacting to the shot. He was at fault and should not lose a goal at his near post like that.

I did acknowledge he should do better.

I can see how it happens though as holding your feet when it's a 50/50 chance where the ball will go isn't an easy skill. The natural reaction is to anticipate one way or another.

Steve20
14-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Marciano didn't do well last night, but he's still a very good keeper. And a far better one than Foderingham anyway.

Smartie
14-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Marciano's inconsistency is frustrating.

He is as capable of pulling off a truly world class save as he is of chucking in a total clanger. He's won points for us this season and he's cost us points, the difference between his good games and bad games are probably more extreme than any other keeper we've had.

To compare him with Oxley - Oxley didn't ever really make mistakes but he didn't tend to make many great saves either. I can never remember him winning us points with great saves but he never made any howlers either and tended to stand up well in big games.

I like Marciano, but last night served to reinforce some of the doubts that I have about him. 2 fairly routine bits of goalkeeping - getting his positioning and anticipation right - have cost us 3 points, a very important 3 points.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Marciano didn't do well last night, but he's still a very good keeper. And a far better one than Foderingham anyway.

No he's not.

Iain G
14-12-2017, 11:32 AM
I did acknowledge he should do better.

I can see how it happens though as holding your feet when it's a 50/50 chance where the ball will go isn't an easy skill. The natural reaction is to anticipate one way or another.

From what I have seen I think he is second guessing his instincts, which maybe a sign of confidence issues? Simply though no goalkeeper should have left that gap at the front post.

DarlingtonHibee
14-12-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm sure Neil said that Laidlaw has a shoulder issue, so it's rocky on the young lad that was on the bench last night.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2017, 11:47 AM
From what I have seen I think he is second guessing his instincts, which maybe a sign of confidence issues? Simply though no goalkeeper should have left that gap at the front post.

I said after Sundays game I thought some of his decision making suggested a keeper struggling with his confidence amd I stand by it.

He's certainly let Hanlon off the hook who defended the initial threat in a way that would have embarrassed a schoolboy.

matty_f
14-12-2017, 11:49 AM
No he's not.

Yes he is.

HarpyHibby
14-12-2017, 11:50 AM
I thought Rocky was excellent against Celtic, as he has been for the most part this season. Last night though, that was criminal for the 2nd and I thought his positioning was poor for the first as well, it was right in the corner but if he’d narrowed the angle he’d have stood a better chance.

Foderingham is pish but he done well last night.

erin go bragh
14-12-2017, 11:52 AM
I think it a bit harsh blaming Rocky for their second goal . IThier player fairly smashed it in at an acute angle .

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Yes he is.

Your opinion. There was calls for Laidlaw to get a run a couple of months ago. The Huns keeper is a good goalie.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I think it a bit harsh blaming Rocky for their second goal . IThier player fairly smashed it in at an acute angle .

He dived out the way ffs. The firsts a howler too. Positioning all wrong.

tamsonsbairn
14-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Yes he is.

both goals could have been avoided.

bigwheel
14-12-2017, 11:55 AM
I like both them as keepers..Rocky is capable of levels which Foderingham has never reached - at the top of his game , he looks outstanding.. This season consistency is his issue - also looks quite a bit heavier than last year to me??

Foderingham is very consistent. Last night is probably as good as Ive seen him. Before then he struck me as a keeper who rarely drops a clanger and does all the basic things well - without really reaching the heights in performance levels. He was their MoM by some way yesterday...fair play to him.

Iain G
14-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Rubbish he dived away from his post and left it unguarded trying to anticipate the cross, clearly he is at fault as is Hanlon for letting the boy get past him.

BSEJVT
14-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Marciano's inconsistency is frustrating.

He is as capable of pulling off a truly world class save as he is of chucking in a total clanger. He's won points for us this season and he's cost us points, the difference between his good games and bad games are probably more extreme than any other keeper we've had.

To compare him with Oxley - Oxley didn't ever really make mistakes but he didn't tend to make many great saves either. I can never remember him winning us points with great saves but he never made any howlers either and tended to stand up well in big games.

I like Marciano, but last night served to reinforce some of the doubts that I have about him. 2 fairly routine bits of goalkeeping - getting his positioning and anticipation right - have cost us 3 points, a very important 3 points.

Agree completely

There is no middle ground

He is either great or crap

Sunday he was great, yesterday ......

As for the notion he is better than Foderingham, not for me by a long shot

cleanyman
14-12-2017, 12:02 PM
I think the first goal is an excellent finish

The second is poor keeping but it should never get that far. The defending from Hanlon was shambolic.

Brightside
14-12-2017, 12:11 PM
No he's not.

Oh he is.

One bad game last night but he's been an exceptional keeper for us and better than anything we've had since the days of Goram.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 12:11 PM

The second is poor keeping but it should never get that far. The defending from Hanlon was shambolic.

He had time to prepare for the shot and his starting position was brutal.

Brightside
14-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Hanlon should do better. But you;d expect striker to get past a defender in a 1:1 in the majority of situations. Boyle does it constantly in games.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Oh he is.

One bad game last night but he's been an exceptional keeper for us and better than anything we've had since the days of Goram.

Fair enough, we've had pish goalies for years so in comparison he's brilliant but he is still very average and prone to a mistake or two.

Crazyhorse
14-12-2017, 12:19 PM

I like him but can't agree there. No keeper should ever get beaten at the near post like that.

I'm still fuming from last night... how did those ******* manage to slink away with 3 pts...

hibsbollah
14-12-2017, 12:24 PM

I also did the goalkeeping coaching badge. Also listened to David Preece, who knows his stuff on the subject, on the total football podcast talking about how this thing about 'A Goalie Should Never Be Beaten at his Near Post' mantra is really just nonsense, probably made up by a pundit or commentator at some point in history and has no grounding in proper coaching. A keeper has to be equally aware of either post and if he thinks the ball is going to be driven across him to the far post he needs to move there.

Saying all that, Rocky was at fault, no question.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2017, 12:29 PM
I also did the goalkeeping coaching badge. Also listened to David Preece, who knows his stuff on the subject, on the total football podcast talking about how this thing about 'A Goalie Should Never Be Beaten at his Near Post' mantra is really just nonsense, probably made up by a pundit or commentator at some point in history and has no grounding in proper coaching. A keeper has to be equally aware of either post and if he thinks the ball is going to be driven across him to the far post he needs to move there.

:agree: on both points.

I've worked with numerous goalkeeping coaches over the years, a couple of them pretty well respected in the game, and none have ever throwing their weight behind the near post mantra pundits tend to parrot.

John_R_Corbett
14-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.Indeed but in this instance (just one of many by another terrible ref or cheat depending on your point of view) it was the referee's 'mistake' in the 1st place that cost us that 2nd goal. Clear foul on Shaw I think it was before it happened.

matty_f
14-12-2017, 01:23 PM
both goals could have been avoided.

Definitely. :agree:

matty_f
14-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Your opinion. There was calls for Laidlaw to get a run a couple of months ago. The Huns keeper is a good goalie.

Of course it's my opinion, that's the point of forums like this one.

Similarly saying "no he isn't" as you did earlier is no different.

HoboHarry
14-12-2017, 01:30 PM
They are both good keepers and like every other keeper in the world they will have bad nights and make mistakes.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Of course it's my opinion, that's the point of forums like this one.

Similarly saying "no he isn't" as you did earlier is no different.

👍

ekhibee
14-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Purely on the game last night, Foderingham was definitely better, particularly the save from Barker that he touched on to the post. Marciano is a bit erratic, one day makes brilliant saves, another day seems to make bad decisions that sometimes cost us. Still a decent keeper though, better than some of the ones we've had in recent years.

Nevi_SOL
14-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Marciano will win us more points than he will lose us

LancsHibs
14-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Rocky didn’t have a good game last night and cost us points, last Sunday he was immense.
Q. Would I swap him for Foderingham given the opportunity? A. Not a chance!

madhatter
14-12-2017, 04:48 PM

My worry is that he was in a position to block/save the shot and appeared to dive away from the ball. Doesnt even look like he guessed, his dive seemed to start as the ball was heading towards him. Not a great thing for goalkeepers to do. Most of the best goalkeepers generally dive and throw their limbs in the way. His dive also suggested he knew immediately what he was doing - diving to avoid getting hurt.

For the first goal he remained routed to his line and could honestly have just pointed to the bottom corner to invite Rangers man shooting there. The size of the gap he left in that corner was insane considering the defence had failed him and it was virtually a 1v1.

I like Marciano but the 2 goals he let in would be enough for me to drop him for a match of two. Laidlaw made lesser, but comparable, mistakes and got hooked.

Fair is fair. All players should be dropped if they have a really bad game or bad run of games. Goalies get a bit more leniency but nevertheless should not be discounted from this.

SunshineOnLeith
14-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Given Craig Gordon's drop in form and the fact Joe Lewis is even more prone to the odd mistake, there's a good argument that Marciano is the best goalie in the league. One bad game doesn't change that.

Foderingham is a decent shot stopper but his command of his area is dreadful - Hanlon's goal at Easter Road in 15/16 being a good case in point.

I'm_cabbaged
14-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Can’t be bothered reading all the posts. However a keeper can make as many saves as he wants, that’s what he’s there for. The amount of howlers is what he’ll be judged on and IMO he’s made too many. Just my opinion obviously.

Sir David Gray
14-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Marciano should have done better at the second goal but for me Paul Hanlon was really poor in the lead up to the goal.

If he had defended properly, Morelos would have been nowhere near scoring.

I'm_cabbaged
14-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Marciano should have done better at the second goal but for me Paul Hanlon was really poor in the lead up to the goal.

If he had defended properly, Morelos would have been nowhere near scoring.

Really? Made sure he never got inside and had to go to a near impossible angle to score?

Sammy7nil
14-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Really? Made sure he never got inside and had to go to a near impossible angle to score?

Rocky was terrible but Hanlon did nothing he was dizzy he was turned inside out and had no idea the player was choosing to go inside or out.

Sammy7nil
14-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Purely on the game last night, Foderingham was definitely better, particularly the save from Barker that he touched on to the post. Marciano is a bit erratic, one day makes brilliant saves, another day seems to make bad decisions that sometimes cost us. Still a decent keeper though, better than some of the ones we've had in recent years.

LOL better than some keepers we have had that is no ringing endorsement :greengrin

CMac1988
14-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Marciano is becoming a bit of an enigma as of late. Great shot stopper at times but he seems to be second guessing himself a lot lately.

He struggles to command his box at times and takes an age to come out and collect the ball even when he has a fair amount of time to get to it before the opposition.

On the flip side he's made a number of great saves ranging from one on one's and last ditch fingertip and reactionary saves.

He's had a few bad games this season but I still rate him. Confidence issues perhaps? Needs to be more alert and stop second guessing himself. He'll put it behind him again but needs to be better.

gaz1875
14-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Rocky was terrible but Hanlon did nothing he was dizzy he was turned inside out and had no idea the player was choosing to go inside or out.

Hanlon should have had support no defender should be left one on one where possible. He held up the player and no one was close to assist in closing him down Stevenson was standing watching.

Iain G
15-12-2017, 09:29 AM

It's a fair point that Hanlon did manage to show him the outside and not cut in, making it an easier job for Marciano to block the tightly angled shot at his near post, in theory... :greengrin

easty
15-12-2017, 09:57 AM

I'm a massive Hanlon fan, but he did terribly there. Aye, he shows him outside, but after going outside he lets him cut in towards goal tae, he'll be dissapointed in himself I bet.

Thecat23
15-12-2017, 10:05 AM
No he's not.

He’s miles better and I mean miles.

Thecat23
15-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Never anticipate a ball will go across the box, you must stand tall and protect the near post at all times. No matter if the striker is 5 yards or 20. Yeah it’s smashed into the near post but if he stays there his legs save it. First goal his angles are all wrong PB. He must narrow the angle I. Which Windass hits it into.

Rocky for me was poor for both goals second one was worse though. He’s a good keeper though and will bounce back.

R'Albin
15-12-2017, 10:16 AM

A keeper should still very rarely get beaten at their near post and certainly not from a shot like that. IMO, a keeper should never guess from there, they should stand up and remain set so they're best equipped to deal with whatever happens next.

I agree with the folks saying he appears low on confidence. A more confident keeper probably wouldn't have conceded in that manner. It's frustrating as he's obviously really talented.

Firestarter
15-12-2017, 10:45 AM
He’s miles better and I mean miles.

Fair do's if you think that. He's miles better than the likes of Oxley but the Huns keeper is better in my eyes.

hibsbollah
15-12-2017, 11:08 AM
A keeper should still very rarely get beaten at their near post and certainly not from a shot like that. IMO, a keeper should never guess from there, they should stand up and remain set so they're best equipped to deal with whatever happens next.

I agree with the folks saying he appears low on confidence. A more confident keeper probably wouldn't have conceded in that manner. It's frustrating as he's obviously really talented.

I agree he should have saved that shot. What I don't agree with is the emphasis put on the near post as opposed to the far post.

If you think about the dynamics, a goal is 8foot high by 24 feet wide. A goalies body coverage is about 5 foot wide (unless you're on the chubby side) including the active limbs. When a striker is running at you from a narrow angle, If you tried to completely cover the near post and mentally anticipate the shot going there, you'd leave room at the far post. And you will never ever be able to guarantee to stop the perfect strike at the near post, it's not physically possible. In that situation you simply have to be good at winning a guessing game (and have good reactions of course!) I see Rockys mistake as not about where he was standing, it's his reaction to the ball after it left the strikers foot that was *****.

Iain G
15-12-2017, 11:21 AM
I agree he should have saved that shot. What I don't agree with is the emphasis put on the near post as opposed to the far post.

If you think about the dynamics, a goal is 8foot high by 24 feet wide. A goalies body coverage is about 5 foot wide (unless you're on the chubby side) including the active limbs. When a striker is running at you from a narrow angle, If you tried to completely cover the near post and mentally anticipate the shot going there, you'd leave room at the far post. And you will never ever be able to guarantee to stop the perfect strike at the near post, it's not physically possible. In that situation you simply have to be good at winning a guessing game (and have good reactions of course!) I see Rockys mistake as not about where he was standing, it's his reaction to the ball after it left the strikers foot that was *****.

I thought it looked like he had made his mind up before the shot was struck? Lennon seems to agree that he gambled / guess where it was going instead of standing up and reacting...

Phil MaGlass
15-12-2017, 11:36 AM
To be honest I am not impresed with Marciano at all. Saw him against sellik and the The huns, doesnt give a proper shout to defenders, dithers, not quick enough to get the ball out wide when theres an opportunity, but, on saying that, I have only seen him in a handful of games this season,still, not impressed.

hibsbollah
15-12-2017, 11:41 AM
I thought it looked like he had made his mind up before the shot was struck? Lennon seems to agree that he gambled / guess where it was going instead of standing up and reacting...

Ach, I'd be lying if I said I'd watched it on freeze frame so you might be right :greengrin It's just something that gets my goat in general.

Thecat23
15-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Fair do's if you think that. He's miles better than the likes of Oxley but the Huns keeper is better in my eyes.

Huns keeper isn’t a bad keeper, but from what I’m told he makes far to many mistakes and his distribution is awful. Games I’ve seen him he’s been suspect for many goals they concede. All about opinions though 👍🏼 I still think I’m better than both 😁

Firestarter
15-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Huns keeper isn’t a bad keeper, but from what I’m told he makes far to many mistakes and his distribution is awful. Games I’ve seen him he’s been suspect for many goals they concede. All about opinions though 👍🏼 I still think I’m better than both 😁

😀

guidref
15-12-2017, 01:31 PM
there was also a moment in the second half when a long ball was played through. Rocky could have come out and claimed it but left it to Efe who ended up putting it out for a throw.

he just looks a bit slow at the moment and doesn't seem to be a great communicator.

Not worth writting him off though, I believe there is a decent keeper in there

hibbysam
15-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Let’s not forget that just 18 months ago he literally threw a cross into his own net against us at ER. The saves he made on Wednesday were straight forward by staying up, and the one from Barker was one you’d expect most keepers to make.

WeveGotMcginn
15-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Sometimes think Marciano stays on his line too much, both the goals on Wednesday I felt he should have came out an extra yard or 2 to narrow the angle, best keeper we’ve had in a good few years though[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15-12-2017, 08:50 PM
When you look at our two goals lost, the number of basic mistakes were frightening. Efe for the first attacking the ball not getting it leaving a huge gap to run in to. Marciano angles all over the place. Second Hanlon horrific in one on one and Marciano awful.

Am I the only one who thought a handball could/should have been given when (I think Dylan) headed the ball and it hit the Rangers player on the arm/elbow and ran on to then be played into Windass???

Mr White
15-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Not a fan of Oxley? I thought he was alright.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Not a fan of Oxley? I thought he was alright.

Better than a lot of previous goalies but God Blessed is with Conrad.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2017, 02:58 PM
After trying to explain, if not defend, what happened with Marciano during the week I’m at a loss as to what he was up to today.

The lead up to the 1st goal is just bizarre. The ball is at least a yard inside the box and he had plenty time to just bend down and pick it up. Why he has decided to chip it into touch and keep us under pressure is completely beyond me. The 2nd he has again tried to guess where the shot is going and is diving away from the ball, he got his foot to it but he was never keeping it out.

I said after both the Celtic and Rangers games that his decision making makes me think he is struggling with his confidence and today again suggests that. He is making bad decisions and they are costing us. We don’t really have another option so hopefully he can play through it.

Allant1981
16-12-2017, 03:03 PM
After trying to explain, if not defend, what happened with Marciano during the week I’m at a loss as to what he was up to today.

The lead up to the 1st goal is just bizarre. The ball is at least a yard inside the box and he had plenty time to just bend down and pick it up. Why he has decided to chip it into touch and keep us under pressure is completely beyond me. The 2nd he has again tried to guess where the shot is going and is diving away from the ball, he got his foot to it but he was never keeping it out.

I said after both the Celtic and Rangers games that his decision making makes me think he is struggling with his confidence and today again suggests that. He is making bad decisions and they are costing us. We don’t really have another option so hopefully he can play through it.

sorry but we have a lot more to worry about than marciano after todays game, yes he could possibly have done better at the 2nd but didnt do much else wrong

Pretty Boy
16-12-2017, 03:07 PM
sorry but we have a lot more to worry about than marciano after todays game, yes he could possibly have done better at the 2nd but didnt do much else wrong

And the 1st?

It could be argued he has costs us anywhere between 2 and 4 goals this week. Neil Lennon is certainly holding him culpable for 2.

Thecat23
16-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Agree with all this. His confidence is shot to bits it seems because an on form keeper wouldn’t make these errors like he has lately.

gaz1875
16-12-2017, 03:16 PM

That was like something from one of my 5 aside kick about matches, sitting here watching the game I shouted pick the ****ing ball up 30 seconds later we lose a goal. Reminded me of the St Johnston game when Stevenson headed the ball out for a throw in when the ball was already going out in our favour.

Allant1981
16-12-2017, 03:17 PM
And the 1st?

It could be argued he has costs us anywhere between 2 and 4 goals this week. Neil Lennon is certainly holding him culpable for 2.

i would argue that utter crap defending has cost us more than his mistake, these mistakes today by our defenders were a lot more costly, i wouldnt have came out of Pittodrie today blaming the keeper for our defeat, i havent seen any quotes so far from lennon regarding marciano so ill need to take your word, i do think he is lacking in confidence just now but we dont have any better at the club just now and the only way he is going to get confidence back is by playing, im glad im not neil lennon just now