PDA

View Full Version : Shaw

hibsbollah
14-12-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm surprised at some comments saying it was a mistake to start with him. For the first half he constantly won headers and flicks to bring others into play. After providing the assist to Stevenson for the goal he played a lovely through ball to Squirrel which should have made it 2-0. Just before halftime he made a loose pass which stood out because it was the first thing he hadn't done well for 45 mins.

I felt he was hooked just after halftime because Lennon wanted a change of shape, not because of anything he'd done wrong. He just looks very at home out there, impressed :aok:

Green Man
14-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Agreed, I thought he was unfortunate to go off and it was purely down to the change of formation rather than his performance. Of our three strikers, Shaw was the one who impressed me the most.

Heisenberg
14-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Was it not Murray that set up the goal?

I thought Shaw was ok. Was a bit too weak for the second Rangers goal. We definitely improved when he went off but I think it would’ve been the same had we taken off Murray/Stokes in favour of Barker. We 100% need another striker signed in January though.

Johnny_Leith
14-12-2017, 07:35 AM
It was Murray with the assist.

Callum_62
14-12-2017, 07:48 AM
It was only a mistake because were didnt take our chances blew it last 5 of half

If we took our chances we would be proclaiming lennon as a genius

We were excellent last night bar a 5-10 min spell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbySpurs
14-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Defo Murray who set up LS goal.

I don't think it was wrong to start Shaw but I do think we need to take time with the laddie.

Making Stokes a consistent first team pick on the other hand.......... Needs the treatment Cummings got last season and dropped. Either that or a pair of sizes 9 straight up the jacksie....

we are hibs
14-12-2017, 07:57 AM
He was poor apart from one through ball and winning a couple of fouls. Don't think it's his fault but he got bullied quite a bit. It'll take time for him to settle into the team and hopefully Lennon sticks with him on Saturday

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2017, 08:03 AM
He performed as I expected and this was another valuable piece of first team action for him. Not surprised to see him replaced, plenty more to come from him as he develops and time on the pitch is the way to do it.

bookert
14-12-2017, 08:17 AM
It would have been interesting to see how he would have dealt with the umpteen balls that whistled across their box second half. Never seen so many dangerous balls in with no finish.

Since90+2
14-12-2017, 08:22 AM
He is a very good young talent but I think he struggled last night.

I'm not sure the formation helped him or Murray as none of the forwards quite seemed to know who was meant to be playing where. Playing with 3 strikers and essentially a winger in Boyle was a bold move but I dont think it really worked.

hibsbollah
14-12-2017, 08:26 AM
It would have been interesting to see how he would have dealt with the umpteen balls that whistled across their box second half. Never seen so many dangerous balls in with no finish.

:agree: I thought the same. Hes obviously good in the air.

J-C
14-12-2017, 08:32 AM
He was asked to led the line last night and I'm not sure that'd his game, he seems to be the kind of striker that gets into the right positions at the right time and it was tough being up against a good solid CB like Alves. There seemed little understanding with Murray and when Barker came on maybe Lennon should've taken Murray off instead.

Smartie
14-12-2017, 08:32 AM
He is a very good young talent but I think he struggled last night.

I'm not sure the formation helped him or Murray as none of the forwards quite seemed to know who was meant to be playing where. Playing with 3 strikers and essentially a winger in Boyle was a bold move but I dont think it really worked.

It looked like the midfield who were struggling to me. They would get the ball, take a touch and get their heads up looking to go sideways or backwards to where our players would normally be - but more often than not all of our players were up the park, way ahead of the ball but in a position where we couldn't easily get the ball to them.

It was a strange first half. Both teams were very open, with lots of men pushed very high up the pitch.

A stark contrast to every team defending on the edge of their box last season.

To an extent, I think we're still working out how to play against this different approach.

dirtydirk
14-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Didn’t get stuck in enough last night but looks a very intelligent player. That through ball to boyle that put him one on one with the keeper was better than any pass from a midfielder this season

Nicho87
14-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Will be good.

Not just now though.

Drip fed in for me.

bigwheel
14-12-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm surprised at some comments saying it was a mistake to start with him. For the first half he constantly won headers and flicks to bring others into play. After providing the assist to Stevenson for the goal he played a lovely through ball to Squirrel which should have made it 2-0. Just before halftime he made a loose pass which stood out because it was the first thing he hadn't done well for 45 mins.

I felt he was hooked just after halftime because Lennon wanted a change of shape, not because of anything he'd done wrong. He just looks very at home out there, impressed :aok:

Not for me - a couple off flick ons, but struggled to make any impact. Not strong enough in lead up to second goal, and was surprised he came out for second half. That said, he has shown enough in other games to expect to see him get more game time as the season progresses.

J-C
14-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Not for me - a couple off flick ons, but struggled to make any impact. Not strong enough in lead up to second goal, and was surprised he came out for second half. That said, he has shown enough in other games to expect to see him get more game time as the season progresses.

I think allowing him to come out in the 2nd half was Lennon doing the right thing and not having to embarrass the lad by subbing him at half time, don't want to knock any confidence out of him.

bigwheel
14-12-2017, 09:20 AM
I think allowing him to come out in the 2nd half was Lennon doing the right thing and not having to embarrass the lad by subbing him at half time, don't want to knock any confidence out of him.

Yes. Thought that too. Good Man management

Steve20
14-12-2017, 10:52 AM
He was no worse than Stokes or Murray last night.

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 01:08 PM
He was no worse than Stokes or Murray last night.

and his pass for Boyle was tremendous

brog
14-12-2017, 01:48 PM
and his pass for Boyle was tremendous

Superb pass & he did similar against Hamilton to Efe IIRC. I also thought he was blatantly fouled in build up to Sevco 2nd. Alves? went right through back of him without touching the ball. Surprised I haven't seen more about this. 100% foul every time in Engerlund.

Callum_62
14-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Superb pass & he did similar against Hamilton to Efe IIRC. I also thought he was blatantly fouled in build up to Sevco 2nd. Alves? went right through back of him without touching the ball. Surprised I haven't seen more about this. 100% foul every time in Engerlund.

Mcginn gave away quite a few for the exact same thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
14-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Wrong game to start him for me.

AgentDaleCooper
14-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Very promising i thought, some very neat touches, just needs to bulk up.

eastcoasthibby
14-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Agreed, I thought he was unfortunate to go off and it was purely down to the change of formation rather than his performance. Of our three strikers, Shaw was the one who impressed me the most.

It could easily be argued that he was much more effective than Murray and in my view is more instinctive in the box thanMurray so some of the crossballs into the box he might have read them better ??

SChibs
14-12-2017, 03:03 PM
It could easily be argued that he was much more effective than Murray and in my view is more instinctive in the box thanMurray so some of the crossballs into the box he might have read them better ??

I agree I feel Shaw would have gambled at least once on one of the crosses and possibly scored

Billychaotic182
14-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Looks promising and certainly knows how to find the back of the net, but for a tall guy he was bullied off the ball. He needs the bulk up and bit and start getting physical.

Slavers
14-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I would rather Shaw had come of the bench if we needed to chase a goal. Sticking Hanlon upfront didn't really work for me.