PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Barker

matty_f
13-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Surprised not to see a thread for Barker this evening, he was fantastic when he came on.

He's getting better each game and tonight he gave their defence a roasting.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2017, 11:30 PM
First time he has been good since derby. Needs to be consistent. Great tonight but I fear he'll be missing Saturday.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Outstanding performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Surprised not to see a thread for Barker this evening, he was fantastic when he came on.

Best I've seen him yet.

He played with confidence and you could see their defence struggling.

calumhibee1
14-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Should start every week. People can moan all they like about his end product but I’d be willing to bet he still has a handful of assists this season and he also pins the opposing full back in their own half as hell rip them to bits if they bomb on.

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Definitely needs to start every game was superb and so unlucky with his shots, his first one was an amazing effort. Big game player he needs to play in all these games.

Hillsidehibby
14-12-2017, 06:34 AM
It was a pleasure watching him last night.

Bill Milne
14-12-2017, 07:57 AM
I couldn't understand why he wasn't MOM on the basis of that 2nd half performance. Ripped Sevco's defence to bits!!

hibsdaft
14-12-2017, 08:21 AM
I've slated him for weeks but he was terrific last night.

hibee_girl
14-12-2017, 08:30 AM
He was fantastic last night. He’s improving defensively as well.

WeeRussell
14-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Very possibly man of the match without even playing a full half.

J-C
14-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Played very well when he came on and unlucky not to score with his 2 shots off the post, he's a much better player when he doesn't have any defensive duties to think about, that can be a bit of a luxury at times but it's how to get the best out of him, high up the pitch as an attacking outlet.

Bostonhibby
14-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Thought the boy was excellent, didn't deserve to end up on a losing side.

DH1875
14-12-2017, 08:41 AM
I've not been impressed with him so far this season but to be fair, he had a cracking game last night.

Stevie Reid
14-12-2017, 09:03 AM

I rarely post on here these days for numerous reasons, but one of those was the things that people have been saying about Barker all season. He has been an excellent signing, he gets me off my seat every time he's on the ball, and is a joy to watch as he flies past defenders time after time. He doesn't just win foot races though, he has the trickery to get past defenders from from a standing start also. He was absolutely awesome last night.

The complaints about him having no end product are way off the mark - of course he doesn't find a killer ball every time, there's not a winger in the world who does. Constantly going past a man and getting to the bye line is tiring and physical stuff, and finding a final ball isn't always easy. Someone said the other day something along the lines of "if he beats his man every time, but never does anything - what's the point?" - ignoring the fact that the middle part of that sentence isn't true, even if it was, it would still serve a real purpose.

Having players like Barker and Boyle out wide for us are vital for stretching teams and wearing them down over the course of a game. With their pace and trickery - constantly stopping and starting defenders, and more often than not occupying more than one player to deal with them - it keeps teams on the back foot and creates spaces for others. They are also vital for keeping opposition full backs quiet in an attacking sense. Their meaningful contributions are not purely measured in goals and assists.

He is a young lad, only playing his first season of high intensity football at a high level, and he is just going to get better and better - if Lennon can improve Barker as much as he's improved Boyle, he'll end up in the English Championship for several million pounds at the end of this season. After the years of sterile football that we had to watch at ER in the first half of this decade, I find it truly depressing the number of posters on here who are not excited by him, and can't see both the quality he has now, and the massive potential he has going forward. Some folk truly don't know a footballer when they see one.

His attitude and appetite is first class, always willing to take on his man and is not scared of the physical side of the game. He has been a brilliant signing.

Firestarter
14-12-2017, 09:06 AM
First time he has been good since derby. Needs to be consistent. Great tonight but I fear he'll be missing Saturday.

He was good on Sunday too.

3pm
14-12-2017, 09:18 AM
I thought we should have used him more than we did.

hibsbollah
14-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Looking at our squad id really like to see us play an old style 442 getting the ball out to our pacey wingers as much as possible. Boyle and Barker are both on form and with two conservative full backs behind concentrating on defending (which is what lewis and gray when he's back are best at anyway), you have a good balance out wide. Its not very fashionable but its the best use of our resources.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Outstanding last night. Wish he had started. Wouldn't be surprised if Sevco try and sign him based on that showing against them.

Gmack7
14-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Looking at our squad id really like to see us play an old style 442 getting the ball out to our pacey wingers as much as possible. Boyle and Barker are both on form and with two conservative full backs behind concentrating on defending (which is what lewis and gray when he's back are best at anyway), you have a good balance out wide. Its not very fashionable but its the best use of our resources.

I like the 433 system wit barker and Boyle but we don't have the lone striker to suit this

Ozyhibby
14-12-2017, 10:54 AM
I like the 433 system wit barker and Boyle but we don't have the lone striker to suit this

That’s where I am. We. Need a striker who can play up top on his own when it’s required.

Smartie
14-12-2017, 10:59 AM
That’s where I am. We. Need a striker who can play up top on his own when it’s required.

I agree.

Griffiths is the only player that I can recollect ever looking comfortable playing up front on his own for us.

I don't think we're far off being a brilliant side, but there's definitely something lacking in the final third, and it's not a shortage of pace or trickery out wide (like it has been so often in the past).

southern hibby
14-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Only in a couple of games this season have I thought he played good/ ok. Really thought he thought he was above playing for Hibs or not trying or even out of his depth. Not exactly sure which one or combination of them all but there’s been games when I’ve thought. Get him ta F***.

Can honestly say last night it was a joy and I mean a joy to watch. Maybe just maybe we can have more of that display please and we will definitely put teams under the cosh.

GGTTH

WestStandWillie
14-12-2017, 11:08 AM
He was immense last night.

His problem is his consistency. Doesn't turn it on enuff.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2017, 11:09 AM
He's exciting when on the ball, he makes defenders defend and think they must defend rather than get forward.

We should be encouraging him and Boyle, its a breath of fresh air having pace on either side for a change. Wingers wont always beat their man, they wont always get a great cross in, but they will at least try, and they are getting us off our feet.

We are building a team here, a team that is constantly improving.

Enjoy this while it lasts, there have been plenty of players we've had in the last 10 years who were absolutely shocking to watch, we have plenty who are good to watch now.

And remember we will be adding to this squad in January and again in the summer.

Onion
14-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Unplayable last night. Outstanding and deserved a goal.

Crazyhorse
14-12-2017, 11:26 AM
I agree.

Griffiths is the only player that I can recollect ever looking comfortable playing up front on his own for us.

I don't think we're far off being a brilliant side, but there's definitely something lacking in the final third, and it's not a shortage of pace or trickery out wide (like it has been so often in the past).

We could do with a bit more composure at times in front of goal or making a killer pass - but, leaving Rocky aside, last night it really did come down to the width of the post and a cheating cant of a linesman.

Elephant Stone
14-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Really good performance, would definitely look to keep him if there' a possibility. If we can get him and Boyle playing at the top of their game every week we are going to be so ****ing good.

Billy Whizz
14-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Is he a season long loan, or just until January

CMurdoch
14-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Is he a season long loan, or just until January

Season.

If he avoids injuries he will have a great career down south.
We need to enjoy him while he is with us.

Seveno
14-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Easily his best game for us and it was a shame that he didn’t come away with a goal. I hope the crowd start to get behind him and build up his confidence.

matty_f
14-12-2017, 11:45 AM
He's exciting when on the ball, he makes defenders defend and think they must defend rather than get forward.

We should be encouraging him and Boyle, its a breath of fresh air having pace on either side for a change. Wingers wont always beat their man, they wont always get a great cross in, but they will at least try, and they are getting us off our feet.

We are building a team here, a team that is constantly improving.

Enjoy this while it lasts, there have been plenty of players we've had in the last 10 years who were absolutely shocking to watch, we have plenty who are good to watch now.

And remember we will be adding to this squad in January and again in the summer.

Great post. Agree with every word.

ekhibee
14-12-2017, 12:50 PM
I rarely post on here these days for numerous reasons, but one of those was the things that people have been saying about Barker all season. He has been an excellent signing, he gets me off my seat every time he's on the ball, and is a joy to watch as he flies past defenders time after time. He doesn't just win foot races though, he has the trickery to get past defenders from from a standing start also. He was absolutely awesome last night.

The complaints about him having no end product are way off the mark - of course he doesn't find a killer ball every time, there's not a winger in the world who does. Constantly going past a man and getting to the bye line is tiring and physical stuff, and finding a final ball isn't always easy. Someone said the other day something along the lines of "if he beats his man every time, but never does anything - what's the point?" - ignoring the fact that the middle part of that sentence isn't true, even if it was, it would still serve a real purpose.

Having players like Barker and Boyle out wide for us are vital for stretching teams and wearing them down over the course of a game. With their pace and trickery - constantly stopping and starting defenders, and more often than not occupying more than one player to deal with them - it keeps teams on the back foot and creates spaces for others. They are also vital for keeping opposition full backs quiet in an attacking sense. Their meaningful contributions are not purely measured in goals and assists.

He is a young lad, only playing his first season of high intensity football at a high level, and he is just going to get better and better - if Lennon can improve Barker as much as he's improved Boyle, he'll end up in the English Championship for several million pounds at the end of this season. After the years of sterile football that we had to watch at ER in the first half of this decade, I find it truly depressing the number of posters on here who are not excited by him, and can't see both the quality he has now, and the massive potential he has going forward. Some folk truly don't know a footballer when they see one.

His attitude and appetite is first class, always willing to take on his man and is not scared of the physical side of the game. He has been a brilliant signing.
Totally agree Stevie :top marks

Hiber-nation
14-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Hopefully the coaches will keep working on his crossing. He could be a phenomenal player for us.

andybev1
16-12-2017, 11:26 AM
It would be great to see Barker getting his first Hibs goal today - maybe worth a bet Barker to score and a hibs win.

dalkeith stu
16-12-2017, 12:21 PM
It would be great to see Barker getting his first Hibs goal today - maybe worth a bet Barker to score and a hibs win.

Is he playing today???

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Is he playing today???

Nope, it's Anonymous wearing his shirt today in the first half.

SRHibs
16-12-2017, 12:41 PM
I’m happy that he’s at least been putting in a bit more effort today. There’s been a few times where he’s tracked back and won the ball.

Jones28
16-12-2017, 01:08 PM
He's been our best player today.

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 02:56 PM

:confused::confused::confused:

16-12-2017, 04:00 PM
One of the very few who recieves pass marks from me today.

Great pace and creates so much, just wish we had someone to finish it off!

neil7908
16-12-2017, 04:46 PM
He looks good in flashes but I just don't think he gives us enough.

I'm not expecting every ball in to be perfect or him to score with every shot but if you look at the last 3 games, it's the opposition wingers that have done us (Sinclair, Windass and Mackay-Steven).

Barker looks promising but I want to see him own a game and really take control.

Sadly I think he's not quite ready to do that yet. If he does it'll by the time he's long gone from Hibs.

hibsbollah
16-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Feed him the ball. He's much better with the ball than without it, same with Boyle. I really think we need to push it wide as much as we can.

Heisenberg
23-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Nice wee assist for Barker today. Looked a threat, second half especially. Touch was a bit off at times but thought he was good.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 05:09 PM
I thought Barker really struggled today, nothing seemed to come off for him. There was one point in the 2nd half that Stokes played a ball in behind for him and he was on his heels and just stood and watched it. Stokes went mental and I honestly worried for a second he was going to go across and hit him.

I thought Lennon might have considered hooking him then he popped up with a good run, good touch and match winning cross. I think he’s just that type of player, sometimes it works for him and quite often it doesn’t.

JimBHibees
23-12-2017, 05:12 PM
I thought Barker really struggled today, nothing seemed to come off for him. There was one point in the 2nd half that Stokes played a ball in behind for him and he was on his heels and just stood and watched it. Stokes went mental and I honestly worried for a second he was going to go across and hit him.

I thought Lennon might have considered hooking him then he popped up with a good run, good touch and match winning cross. I think he’s just that type of player, sometimes it works for him and quite often it doesn’t.

Agree thought his touch was poor and that he might have been subbed however what a brilliant run and cross for the winner.

Kavinho
23-12-2017, 05:13 PM
For me he's often on his heels, but more than That, switches off after losing a ball when attacking.

Plenty to learn but he'll be a good player

B.H.F.C
23-12-2017, 05:17 PM
There is a player in there. We need to see it more though. Completely disappears from the game at times.

lyonhibs
23-12-2017, 05:25 PM
His movement and level of readiness without the ball are terrible. Statuesque at times. When he does get the ball it's often a different matter but without doubt a very frustrating player.

Onceinawhile
23-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Good assist today.

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-12-2017, 05:30 PM
He started off well enough but faded more as the game went on although for me he really should be terrorising defences like Ross County's. Some of his touches and runs were frustrating to watch at times.

I suppose he was unlucky with his effort on goal but pretty sure he could have squared it for an easy tap in.

Brightside
23-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I thought he was great in Lord of the Rings

crash
23-12-2017, 05:50 PM
I thought he was great in Lord of the Rings

Definitely runs rings round Hanlon in training.

Brightside
23-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Definitely runs rings round Hanlon in training.

😂😂

J-C
23-12-2017, 05:55 PM
He had a couple of brilliant runs but his final touch and his poor decision making spoils it, similar from Boyle on the other side, burns the defender with pace then chooses the wrong option at times,very frustrating.

GreenCastle
23-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Played well today I felt. Glad we have him.

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2017, 06:03 PM
I like him. Makes some cracking runs and teams are now needing to put 2 players on him or Boyle freeing up space in the middle.

Surprised that a lot of folk are undecided about him.

InchHibby
23-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Great post. Agree with every word.

I agree too

Ozyhibby
23-12-2017, 06:50 PM
I thought he played well today. He’s starting to back himself more when taking players on and is no longer hiding so much.

Godsahibby
23-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Giving him dogs abuse today, Thought he was a wasted jersey and wantedhim off the park..... and then he did that!!

I suppose that’s what we will get with the boy, obviously the quality is there if the commitment was there he wouldn’t be anywhere near Hibs

Ozyhibby
23-12-2017, 07:00 PM
I thought he played well today. He’s starting to back himself more when taking players on and is no longer hiding so much.

matty_f
23-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Played well today I felt. Glad we have him.

Thought the same, imho he was a joy to watch.

we are hibs
23-12-2017, 07:07 PM
It nought he was very good today. No idea what some on here were watching but I'm sure most Hibs fans in the ground agreed he played well with the ovation he got when subbed. He will be vital on Wednesday night

Fritz
23-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Giving him dogs abuse today, Thought he was a wasted jersey and wantedhim off the park..... and then he did that!!

I suppose that’s what we will get with the boy, obviously the quality is there if the commitment was there he wouldn’t be anywhere near Hibs

Why were you giving him dogs abuse? Were you hoping that might improve his performance?

Godsahibby
23-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Why were you giving him dogs abuse? Were you hoping that might improve his performance?

That’s exactly the reason and looked like it worked, I will take an assist on the assist.

Smartie
23-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Going by this thread I'd wondered if it was just me who had thought he'd had a good game today.

He was excellent and causes a lot of problems when he starts running at defences.

He's not perfect, he had a few bad touches and sometimes takes the wrong option. He frustrates me a bit in that he seems to need the ball before he starts moving - sometimes he needs to move better in anticipation of getting the ball.

But I thought he was very good overall.

He'll go back to City a better player for having been with us. He looks to me like he just needs to be playing games to improve, which is what he is doing - playing regularly and improving.

theonlywayisup
23-12-2017, 07:54 PM
One minute the boy oozes class, the next he seems to switch off or hide.

We've had outstanding moments from him, especially the The Rangers game. However, there are times when I think he's a waste of a jersey - like today or the Celtic game but then he creates chances.

I can see why some think he's class and why others do not.

Serious question - is he any better or worse than Gary Mackay Steven at Aberdeen?

GMS (27) has found his level - he's playing in a good Aberdeen team, will probably earn a few Scotland caps. But that's his limit. Maybe a Championship team might take a chance on him!

How far will Brandon (21) go in the game?

Billy Whizz
23-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Going by this thread I'd wondered if it was just me who had thought he'd had a good game today.

He was excellent and causes a lot of problems when he starts running at defences.

He's not perfect, he had a few bad touches and sometimes takes the wrong option. He frustrates me a bit in that he seems to need the ball before he starts moving - sometimes he needs to move better in anticipation of getting the ball.

But I thought he was very good overall.

He'll go back to City a better player for having been with us. He looks to me like he just needs to be playing games to improve, which is what he is doing - playing regularly and improving.

Smartie, thought it was his best all round 90 mins. For me he’s been a 45!min player, but today he gave us an excellent 2nd half. Needs to add goals to his game though

dalkeith stu
23-12-2017, 08:12 PM
It nought he was very good today. No idea what some on here were watching but I'm sure most Hibs fans in the ground agreed he played well with the ovation he got when subbed. He will be vital on Wednesday night

Unfortunatly I don't think Wednesday night's tattie field will suit his game!!

Ozyhibby
23-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Smartie, thought it was his best all round 90 mins. For me he’s been a 45!min player, but today he gave us an excellent 2nd half. Needs to add goals to his game though

He strikes the ball very well. I think once he gets his first (Wednesday) then he will chip in regularly.

SquashedFrogg
23-12-2017, 08:29 PM
A wee gem. I love watching players like him.

Inconsistent - yes. Still young - yes.

https://youtu.be/wFd0FhFQ9AY

poolman
23-12-2017, 09:17 PM

That's the way to give the players confidence from the terracing

Give him dogs abuse until he comes round to your way of thinking

Bravo, keep it up :yawn:

Humo
23-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Today barker was one of the few players that actually tried something different. It didn't always come off but you could see he was trying.

The only problem is when you see him make mistakes, the wrong choice or not even be awake enough for the ball it frustrates you more because you know or think of what could happen if he played to his best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gatecrasher
23-12-2017, 09:27 PM
I take it the odds on getting this guy back after the season is finished are slim to none?