PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 13 December)

Jonnyboy
13-12-2017, 11:16 PM
On the way home in the car tonight I kept asking myself the same question, over and over and kept coming up with the same answer. The question was how on earth we managed to lose that game and my answer varied, before and after hearing Neil Lennon’s post-match interview. Prior to listening to the manager my answer involved three aspects of our performance. Firstly, two of our most consistent performers let themselves down badly by rank poor defending with the Rangers goals coming after howlers by Ambrose and Hanlon. Secondly, we created an abundance of opportunities to score, both prior to and after those defensive errors and failed to take any of them. Thirdly, we were let down by two of our better creative players in John McGinn and Anthony Stokes although they were not the only players tonight to point a finger of blame at.

After listening to Neil’s interview, I felt that the disappointment of losing the game coloured my judgement a little because as the manager said, we battered the Rangers for almost the entire second half and did not deserve to lose the game. Notwithstanding that, I still feel we were let down in key moments by players either making mistakes or failing to capitalise on the outstanding play of our wingers.

At 7.45, Hibs came roaring out of the traps and soon had the Rangers pegged back. After just ten minutes, a mazy run on the left side of the box by Murray saw our striker cut the ball back to the edge of the area where Lewis Stevenson struck a right foot shot that was on target but was deflected into the net by Alves. It was no more than our start to the game deserved but we had to remain vigilant as a rare break by the Rangers witnessed Morelos head wide when scoring looked easier. Soon we were back in the Rangers penalty area with both Hanlon and Boyle taking on shots that were saved by Foderingham when a cut back on both occasions would almost certainly have led to goals.

The game continued to be pretty much dominated by Hibs until the last five minutes of the half when first Ambrose and then Hanlon lost possession in dangerous areas, allowing both Windass and Morelos to score. Those errors were criminal and although my mate suggested Rocky could have done better on both occasions I’m not sure I entirely agreed. The first was a drilled ball from an angle whilst the second, I felt, caught Rocky out at his near post.

After just five minutes of the second half, Neil Lennon replaced Oli Shaw with Brandon Barker and Hibs immediately took control of the game again. Barker has split opinion in his time to date and I confess I’m one that wanted to see a lot more from him. Pretty much from the moment he arrived he drew the Rangers defence into a panic. His pace and control were a joy to behold and he was surely the unluckiest player on the park to see two fantastic efforts come back off either post. On the other wing, Boyler was giving Declan John a hard time with the defender having to rely on Windass to double up on the Hibs man. Crosses flew across the Rangers box on a regular basis but Murray and Stokes failed to connect, one of those failures being difficult to understand as Murray was only five yards from goal whereas Stokes just never arrived to meet them.

Referee Kevin Clancy, who’d not had the best of nights, then infuriated both the home bench and the massive home support when a glaring hand ball in the box by Bates resulted in claims being waved aside. It was a penalty all day long and I understand the linesman later told Neil that he’d seen the hand ball but didn’t think it was a penalty! The player had moved his arm towards the ball and in any fair minded person’s view that would constitute a penalty.

After Foderingham had been booked for time wasting, Clancy added four minutes of additional time. By this time, Whittaker had replaced Murray and Hibs moved to a back four with Hanlon pushed up front in the hope of getting to one of the many crosses into the box. As often seems to be the case, Hibs then resorted to mainly playing the ball short and very few crosses got anywhere near Hanlon. To finish off proceedings, a Hibs corner witnessed Rocky inside the Rangers penalty area but McGinn, not for the first time, fluffed his delivery and the ball sailed over everyone before going out for a throw to the Rangers.

A hugely disappointing outcome but as Neil said, his players gave him everything, especially in the second half and did not deserve to lose. The bottom line is that only one point has been taken from the last two games with Aberdeen at Pittodrie up next.

The players

Rocky – largely redundant although he had me worried at one point when he came out for a corner that he was never going to get anywhere near, leading to the Morelos miss described earlier. May have done better for the second but I’d like to see it again before committing.

Efe – I lost count of the number of Efe moments tonight. Frequently caught chasing the ball forward and leaving gaps behind him, from one of which the Rangers scored an equaliser.

Daz – had a fantastic game and I don’t think he lost a header all night. It’s good to see the big fella back and to witness him playing so well after a lengthy layoff.

Paul – allowed Morelos to turn him inside out for the second goal and that was disappointing to witness from a normally very reliable defender.

Boyler – caused Declan John no end of problems and must be hugely frustrated that many of his crosses came to nothing. I would say though that he should have cut the ball back in the first half when he elected instead to do what he did against Celtic – fire the ball straight at the keeper’s legs.

Dylan – sponsor gave him man of the match and whilst I felt he was much better than he was against Celtic he was guilty yet again of taking too long to pick a pass and, frustratingly, reluctant to take a shot when around the edge of the box.

SJM – literally nothing came off for him tonight. Wasteful in possession and caught with the ball at his feet I felt he was simply trying too hard. Needs to relax and let his natural game flow.

Lewis – great positioning at the goal and a rare right foot strike that may well have gone in even if it hadn’t deflected. I noticed one poor cross tonight and remarked to my brother that it would be raised on here, rather than the many very good things he did during the game.

Simon – never at the races and was largely anonymous for the 88 minutes he stayed on the park. Had we had another striker on the bench I reckon Murray would have been hooked earlier.

Oli – delighted the laddie was given his first competitive start in the first team but at times he looked like a fish out of water. Having said that, there were other times when his play was intelligent and had he had more support around him he may have flourished.

Stokesy – I just know I’m going to get pelters for this but I thought Stokes was woeful tonight. Continually lost possession, failed to get up in support of the strikers and pretty much convinced many around me that he failed to deliver – again. I thought his reaction at the final whistle said it all. Argued with the ref and then walked off. The other players did the normal thing of applauding the fans. It’s been said that Stokes doesn’t give a damn about Hibs and is all about himself. I know he has a fantastic football brain and I know that he can be very skilful but you do wonder why Neil keeps changing things to suit him.

Barker – I thought the laddie was terrific tonight and led the Rangers defenders on a merry dance. They seemed terrified of him and rightly so. I’m convinced that if either of the shots that hit the post had gone in we’d have won the game. Played less than half the 90 minutes but pipped big Daz for my man of the match.

Whitty – too little too late.

Neil – must be tearing his hair out watching endless opportunities to score being squandered.

The fans – fantastic yet again and I particularly enjoyed the Since1875 display in the FF lower.

The Ref – missed a glaring penalty and a handful of fouls on Hibs players that were waived aside.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2017, 11:21 PM
One obvious mistake but otherwise agree with every word! :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-12-2017, 11:23 PM
A bit harsh on Ambrose and a bit generous to Rocky IMO. Watch the goals again, it wasn't obvious at the time but Marcianos clearly at fault for both. Efe had so much of the ball and 90% of his work was very good.

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2017, 11:29 PM
A bit harsh on Ambrose and a bit generous to Rocky IMO. Watch the goals again, it wasn't obvious at the time but Marcianos clearly at fault for both. Efe had so much of the ball and 90% of his work was very good.

yup :agree: that 2nd one is very poor when a keeper lets the ball in between him and the near post, watch fotheringham save at his near post from the boyle shot in the first half(the one where if he had squared it instead to murray it would most likely have made it 2-0)

StevieT
13-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Stokes is normally one of the first players to leave the pitch....excepton sunday when he went around every Celtic player and shook their hand, That says a lot to me.

davhibby
13-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Not seen any replays but thought the first goal was a really good finish, second goal was a disaster from the second Morelos got the ball imo

Wheat Hound
13-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Thought Efe was very good for the most part. Strong, composed and just as good st right back. I'd start him at rb on Saturday and go flat back 4 with Daz, Paul and Lewis in too.

danhibees1875
13-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Agree with all apart from efe, who I thought was fine bar one mistake.

Rocky - 5
Efe - 6
Daz - 7
Hanlon 6.5
Boyle - 7
Mcginn - 4
McGeoch - 6
Stevenson - 7.5
Stokes - 3
Shaw - 6
Murray - 6

Barker - 7

It's all very weird. If not for 5 minutes where we just gave up, we'd have won 1-0, wondered how it wasn't 4-0 and moved on pretty happy.
Another tough test against Aberdeen in 3 days to end a nightmare week of fixtures.

kaimendhibs
14-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Agree with all apart from efe, who I thought was fine bar one mistake.

Rocky - 5
Efe - 6
Daz - 7
Hanlon 6.5
Boyle - 7
Mcginn - 4
McGeoch - 6
Stevenson - 7.5
Stokes - 3
Shaw - 6
Murray - 6

Barker - 7

It's all very weird. If not for 5 minutes where we just gave up, we'd have won 1-0, wondered how it wasn't 4-0 and moved on pretty happy.
Another tough test against Aberdeen in 3 days to end a nightmare week of fixtures.All about opinions but barker a 9 for me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
14-12-2017, 12:06 AM
All about opinions but barker a 9 for me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree, Barker was really good. No one in my ratings got more than .5 more than him and he only played 40 minutes. Hope he starts on Saturday.

Billy McKirdy
14-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Agree with Barker, he totally changed the game when he cane on and on another day he would have been bagging that brace ,his quality is shining through now and I don’t think his first goal is far away

NAE NOOKIE
14-12-2017, 12:29 AM
I agree with pretty well all of that, but I also thought Ambrose was terrific in the 2nd half .... Apart from the 4 - 0 humping a few seasons ago I cant remember ever seeing us dominate a game against them at ER as much as we did tonight, we could put in the same performance in another 10 games against them and win every one comfortably. My partners Crewe supporting dad was at the game and described the result as 'daylight robbery' on the way home.

Marciano ...... 6 ...... From my position I thought it was a great finish for the first, but he could have done better at the second, apart from that he didn't have much to do.

Ambrose .... 7 .... He might have made an error that lead to a goal, but I thought he was terrific in the second half.

Hanlon ..... 6 ..... Was outmuscled at the goal and will be disappointed about it, but solid enough apart from that.

McGregor .... 7 .... His usual dominating self, its like he's never been away.

Stevenson ..... 7 ..... He scored FFS :greengrin and played as well as he has all season for me.

McGeouch .... 7 .... Neat and tidy for the most part, but sometimes ignored the obvious pass and how often does it have to be said 'FFS shoot man'

McGinn .... 6 ..... Sorry John but that was way below par for you, caught in possession far too often and your short passing was terrible at times.. played a couple of terrific long passes though.

Boyle .... 8 ..... Did some excellent work and put in a number of good balls, tireless in the 2nd half.

Shaw .... 5 ..... The game passed him by for the most part, but onwards and upwards, I'm not sure that was the game to give the lad his first start to be honest.

Murray .... 6 .... Largely anonymous, though he did well to set up our goal, but how he missed that cross in the 2nd half only he will know, shocker.

Stokes .... 5 .... Contributed next to nothing and as has been the case a lot this season far too easily bullied off the ball, made room for a shot 8 yards out in the 2nd half and then didn't take it, instead opting to take another touch which lead to him being dispossessed ... I cant remember him being within 10 yards of any of the balls Boyle and Barker got into the box. 18 games into the season and he has 2 more goals from open play than Oli Shaw. 3 goals from open play in 18 matches, I don't know how anybody can find that acceptable from him.

SUBS:

Barker ..... 8 ...... Without a doubt his best performance in a Hibs shirt, so unlucky not to score and put ball after ball into the box. The only thing he did wrong was to stop playing when he thought the ref was going to give him a foul, resulting in him giving up on a ball he could have developed into a really dangerous situation ... if it hadn't been for that I would have given him a 9 .... play to the whistle son.

Whittaker ..... 5 ..... Did ok when he came on.

Lennon ..... 6 ..... Had to do a double take when I saw the lineup and IMO it didn't work, though that could be down to below par performances by too many of our go to players. But whatever the case he cant be blamed for us failing to score more than one goal against a team we bombarded and outplayed for 70% of the game.

The ref .... we should have had a penalty and they should have been reduced to 10 men ... neither happened which makes him an ********.

The funny thing about this game is that even though some of our players made individual errors that cost us and some of our better guys didn't play as well as they can, as a team performance it was admirable and says a lot about this team that they were still able to be by far the better team on the night .... they deserved far better than the result they got.

Brightside
14-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Based only on highlights we dominated the game. Final ball lets us down too often and people thing we need a striker. We had so many opportunities for an easy cut back and it never happened. very happy with the over all team display. Rocky probably had his worst game tbh. Hanlon could have done better with the 2nd BUT its an easy save for the keeper.

Smartie
14-12-2017, 03:35 AM
I thought Stokes was superb for the first 30 minutes or so, but totally fell out of the game. He isn't as fit as he used to be/ could be and his brain is yet to adapt to his reduced physical fitness ie he tries to beat players or run with the ball and instead of succeeding repeatedly gets caught in possession.

I thought McGinn also started the game well but wasn't as good in the second half.

Special mention to the wide players - Boyle was simply magnificent and Barker was also class when he went on. It will be a mystery to the pair of them how they managed to finish up on the losing side.

Johnny_Leith
14-12-2017, 03:53 AM
We should have put the game to bed, Rangers got away with that.

The performances generally this season have been very good and I'm really looking forward to playing Aberdeen now.

A bit of January fine tuning and we can get another good run in the cup and a top 4 finish, that would represent a good first season back for us.

Tyler Durden
14-12-2017, 06:09 AM
The goals certainly did not come from Ambrose or Hanlon losing possession.

Also McGregor lost Morelos in the first half where Rocky missed the ball. He was also nowhere early in the 2nd half when Morelos missed another easy header from inside the 6 yard box.

So big Daz wasn't faultless - more lucky that his mistakes weren't punished

number9dream
14-12-2017, 06:40 AM
Anyone who didn't see the game will be puzzled by reading Jonnyboy's assessment. Hibs dominated, yet most of our players are rated below par.
But it was exactly like that!
And that speaks volumes about how bad Rangers were. Will they ever come to Easter Road with a weaker midfield than that? So frustrating not to have run over the top of them.
Boyle, Barker an Stevenson did not deserve to be on the losing side, although Boyle should be tucking that (offside) chance away, never mind passing it to anyone.
Rocky had a shocker plain and simple - no footwork for the first; just jumped out of the way of the second.
We still give away too many chances - Rangers were abysmal but Morelos could have had a hat-trick, missing two free headers from close range.
We need more threat in the penalty box. We don't have anyone who can head it, so no point shelling in high crosses, our strikers aren't sharp enough and our central midfielders simply don't do the the final third...
Stokes does not look suited to a deeper role. That's twice now, home to St J as well, where he's toiled in the position. He was painfully slow and I can't recall him getting a single shot off.
McGinn did ping a few fantastic long diagonal passes out wide and both he and McGeouch had some lovely touches - but not where it hurts the opposition - and I agree about the pair of them often slowing things down. Both were even deeper than usual to accommodate Stokes and with big Marv missing.
A missed opportunity and a very sore one to take...

18Hibee75
14-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Anyone who didn't see the game will be puzzled by reading Jonnyboy's assessment. Hibs dominated, yet most of our players are rated below par.
But it was exactly like that!
And that speaks volumes about how bad Rangers were. Will they ever come to Easter Road with a weaker midfield than that? So frustrating not to have run over the top of them.
Boyle, Barker an Stevenson did not deserve to be on the losing side, although Boyle should be tucking that (offside) chance away, never mind passing it to anyone.
Rocky had a shocker plain and simple - no footwork for the first; just jumped out of the way of the second.
We still give away too many chances - Rangers were abysmal but Morelos could have had a hat-trick, missing two free headers from close range.
We need more threat in the penalty box. We don't have anyone who can head it, so no point shelling in high crosses, our strikers aren't sharp enough and our central midfielders simply don't do the the final third...
Stokes does not look suited to a deeper role. That's twice now, home to St J as well, where he's toiled in the position. He was painfully slow and I can't recall him getting a single shot off.
McGinn did ping a few fantastic long diagonal passes out wide and both he and McGeouch had some lovely touches - but not where it hurts the opposition - and I agree about the pair of them often slowing things down. Both were even deeper than usual to accommodate Stokes and with big Marv missing.
A missed opportunity and a very sore one to take...Spot on.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Jones28
14-12-2017, 07:07 AM
I've been a critic of Barkers but he was fabulous tonight. Brave on the ball, pacey, direct and put the ****s up them big time. So unlucky as well.

Ronniekirk
14-12-2017, 07:17 AM
I feel gutted Dominated them for most of the game but if we were serious about challenging for second place we needed to win
Bottom line we didn't
I wouldn't of Started Shaw don't think he is ready yet and we lost the option of bringing him on later in game
Hugely frustrating for Boyle as you say Created so many chances
The second goal was a disaster
and its these type of moments that will ultimately cost us second place along with our failing of not putting teams away when on top
Agree with you John Mcginn was out of sorts at times and yea maybe trying to hard
Stokes gain agree we are not getting the best from him and Murray wasnt as effective as he can be Oli Wrong game to start him imo and not sure the font three worked
But maybe it was just going to be one of those nights , one of those crazy old nights
They didn't deserve to win But they scored two goals with possibly their only chances created
Lennon will not be happy we didn't win that one but apart from not starting the three strikers he cant legislate for that second goal but he does need to bring in another striker
And he needs to get them up for the Aberdeen game and make sure we don't loose that one Fourth place is probably best we can do We just cant get consistent enough
Cant believe that Rangers Team have won four games in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
14-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Rocky shouldn’t get anything above 3. Positioning for the first shocking. Gave Windass a huge space to hit it into. Second is just criminal, protect the near post at all times and hope the defenders have the box covered. This is standard goalkeeping, he failed to do any of this last night. Rocky cost us this game but he’s saved us a few points so we move on and hope he learns from it.

McGinn was very disappointing last night as well, nothing come off for him. Stokes well I’m now getting fed up defending him, done alright at times but he needs to really start showing his worth now.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
14-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Rocky shouldn’t get anything above 3. Positioning for the first shocking. Gave Windass a huge space to hit it into. Second is just criminal, protect the near post at all times and hope the defenders have the box covered. This is standard goalkeeping, he failed to do any of this last night. Rocky cost us this game but he’s saved us a few points so we move on and hope he learns from it.

McGinn was very disappointing last night as well, nothing come off for him. Stokes well I’m now getting fed up defending him, done alright at times but he needs to really start showing his worth now.

This is where i am with Stokes now. Ive defended him often, as ibgeel he gets judged quite harshly if he doesnt play like he did at Hampden.

But him and lennon need to work out what his best role is, and let him play it, amd he needs to up his game. We need tp stop shoehorning him into the team in unfamilar positions (like tonight). But he defo needs to do more, and i would have him on the bench on saturday to start.

Bristolhibby
14-12-2017, 08:42 AM
The Rangers compensated for being utter gash, by playing a packed defence. And they were still *****.

Hibs do have (or at least did in my 30 ish years of watching Hibs) a habit of not being able to kill teams. No doubt we are better this season, but I was really scratching my head last night.

Switched straight to my recording of Peakey Blinders then the midnight showing of Star Wars at the local cinema and works Christmas party, so I’ve got over the disappointment relatively quickly.

Hey, ho. Sheep next, will have to be on our A game again and attack from the start. A similar formation and attitude please. Aberdeen will attack more than The Huns and we should use the space that will create.

J

JimBHibees
14-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Agree about the positioning for the first, not a goalkeeping expert but surely he should have been around about the 6 yard line thereby closing the angle as it was he was about 2 yard from the goal line and gave half of the goal to hit into. A reasonable shot but no way on this earth it should have been a goal. The second was even worse dived out the way of the ball rather than let it him him.

cleanyman
14-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Good read

I don't mind losing but last night annoyed me mainly because apart from a 4 minute spell Rangers did nothing.

We lost to a poor team last night who were without Jack, Dorrans, Wallace and with Miller going off after ten minutes.

Somehow we find ourselves six points behind this utter dross and we don't play them again until February. A 4-2 win last night (which it should have been) would have set down a marker

Bostonhibby
14-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Another good read, thanks. Pretty much how I saw it on the tellybox. I do think Marciano could have stopped either of those on another day but you've got to ask how he found himself in the position in the first place. Sloppy defending.

Agree re Stokes unfortunately, it was set up for him to do better last night I feel.

Barker was just wonderful on the eye and on another day would have had 2 great goals.

I can't put the denial of a penalty for handball down to incompetence, it's something deeper as it would have definitely been given at the other end, feel worse about it if that is indeed what the linesman said. I can't call them assistant referee's because they don't really assist.

Onward and upward. This poor hun side can certainly be caught, refs allowing.

emerald green
14-12-2017, 09:53 AM
As long as Hibs as a team continue to self destruct (the referee/linesman is another separate issue) in games like this, by failing to convert dominance and pressure into goals, then they will be on the wrong end of ridiculous results like last night. We've all seen it before.

Another ingredient that all successful teams need is a wee bit of luck too. Hibs had none last night. Frustrating.

Billy Whizz
14-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Like John said, his view is from the terracing, and once you come and view the highlights you can have a different view

Thought some of our play last night was fantastic, played fast attacking football. The disappointing thing again, is the lack of goals and no clean sheets. Been the story of the season so far.

Apart from the 1st goal, thought Ambrose, McGregor, Boyle and Dylan were excellent. Thought Murray was really poor apart from his assist, not strong enough, and can’t hold the ball in. Think having wingers affects the space he would like to run in, so don’t think he can play when we set up like that

We’re in a healthy position though, just need to put the result behind us now, focus on the positives and look forward to Aberdeen on Saturday

Jonnyboy
14-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated :aok:

As you may know, I write these pretty much as soon as I get home and so a lot of what you read is based on my memory of events. I don't watch any highlights or anything but I've now done so and still feel Efe jumped in when he didn't need to at the first goal and Paul should never have been beaten for the second. But and it's a big but, I now agree that Rocky was at fault for both goals. His positioning for both was awful and had he been on his toes he would have saved both.

On the matter of the penalty, I've now seen it again and I totally understand why Neil Lennon is fuming. The ref might have an excuse in that he didn't have a clear line of vision but the East Stand assistant's view was unimpeded and for him to have watched that and declared he didn't think it was a penalty, is disgraceful.

We were better than them and did not deserve to lose.

Billy Whizz
14-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated :aok:

As you may know, I write these pretty much as soon as I get home and so a lot of what you read is based on my memory of events. I don't watch any highlights or anything but I've now done so and still feel Efe jumped in when he didn't need to at the first goal and Paul should never have been beaten for the second. But and it's a big but, I now agree that Rocky was at fault for both goals. His positioning for both was awful and had he been on his toes he would have saved both.

On the matter of the penalty, I've now seen it again and I totally understand why Neil Lennon is fuming. The ref might have an excuse in that he didn't have a clear line of vision but the East Stand assistant's view was unimpeded and for him to have watched that and declared he didn't think it was a penalty, is disgraceful.

We were better than them and did not deserve to lose.

Jonnyboy, that’s the issue with watching the action live from the ground at the match, you see it once, rather on TV with all the replays

Keep up the great work, see you on Saturday at Aberdeen with Santa

Jonnyboy
14-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Jonnyboy, that’s the issue with watching the action live from the ground at the match, you see it once, rather on TV with all the replays

Keep up the great work, see you on Saturday at Aberdeen with Santa

Tried to persuade him to wear his red outfit but he's worried Hibs fans will think he's an interloper :greengrin

Billy Whizz
14-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Tried to persuade him to wear his red outfit but he's worried Hibs fans will think he's an interloper :greengrin

That would be brilliant if you can get him to wear it🤣

mca
14-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Green Santas Look Better.. 19913:wink:

andybev1
14-12-2017, 09:09 PM
I usually and enjoy reading your threads and usually agree but you could not be more wrong in blaming ambrose, he was pushed and it should have been a free kick.
Apart from Rocky's mistake I wish he would command his box more, he never seems to come out early for through balls like we see other keepers doing as a matter of course, always leaving it to his defenders. I used to be a big fan but other than a great shot stopper his all-round game is lacking IMO

Jonnyboy
14-12-2017, 09:26 PM
I usually and enjoy reading your threads and usually agree but you could not be more wrong in blaming ambrose, he was pushed and it should have been a free kick.
Apart from Rocky's mistake I wish he would command his box more, he never seems to come out early for through balls like we see other keepers doing as a matter of course, always leaving it to his defenders. I used to be a big fan but other than a great shot stopper his all-round game is lacking IMO

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree re Efe. I felt he tried to get in front of his man and when he didn't he left a huge gap behind him

Dashing Bob S
14-12-2017, 10:20 PM
I really doubt that PH is international class in any country that produces half decent players. But he’s more than adequate for the SPL most games.

Mantis Toboggan
15-12-2017, 01:19 AM
I really doubt that PH is international class in any country that produces half decent players. But he’s more than adequate for the SPL most games.

Did well apart from the goal and even got forward a couple times. For me the 2nd goal was on the goalie, Hanlon maybe could have done better but he was left one on one

thebausburst
15-12-2017, 06:10 AM
On the way home in the car tonight I kept asking myself the same question, over and over and kept coming up with the same answer. The question was how on earth we managed to lose that game and my answer varied, before and after hearing Neil Lennon’s post-match interview. Prior to listening to the manager my answer involved three aspects of our performance. Firstly, two of our most consistent performers let themselves down badly by rank poor defending with the Rangers goals coming after howlers by Ambrose and Hanlon. Secondly, we created an abundance of opportunities to score, both prior to and after those defensive errors and failed to take any of them. Thirdly, we were let down by two of our better creative players in John McGinn and Anthony Stokes although they were not the only players tonight to point a finger of blame at.

After listening to Neil’s interview, I felt that the disappointment of losing the game coloured my judgement a little because as the manager said, we battered the Rangers for almost the entire second half and did not deserve to lose the game. Notwithstanding that, I still feel we were let down in key moments by players either making mistakes or failing to capitalise on the outstanding play of our wingers.

At 7.45, Hibs came roaring out of the traps and soon had the Rangers pegged back. After just ten minutes, a mazy run on the left side of the box by Murray saw our striker cut the ball back to the edge of the area where Lewis Stevenson struck a right foot shot that was on target but was deflected into the net by Alves. It was no more than our start to the game deserved but we had to remain vigilant as a rare break by the Rangers witnessed Morelos head wide when scoring looked easier. Soon we were back in the Rangers penalty area with both Hanlon and Boyle taking on shots that were saved by Foderingham when a cut back on both occasions would almost certainly have led to goals.

The game continued to be pretty much dominated by Hibs until the last five minutes of the half when first Ambrose and then Hanlon lost possession in dangerous areas, allowing both Windass and Morelos to score. Those errors were criminal and although my mate suggested Rocky could have done better on both occasions I’m not sure I entirely agreed. The first was a drilled ball from an angle whilst the second, I felt, caught Rocky out at his near post.

After just five minutes of the second half, Neil Lennon replaced Oli Shaw with Brandon Barker and Hibs immediately took control of the game again. Barker has split opinion in his time to date and I confess I’m one that wanted to see a lot more from him. Pretty much from the moment he arrived he drew the Rangers defence into a panic. His pace and control were a joy to behold and he was surely the unluckiest player on the park to see two fantastic efforts come back off either post. On the other wing, Boyler was giving Declan John a hard time with the defender having to rely on Windass to double up on the Hibs man. Crosses flew across the Rangers box on a regular basis but Murray and Stokes failed to connect, one of those failures being difficult to understand as Murray was only five yards from goal whereas Stokes just never arrived to meet them.

Referee Kevin Clancy, who’d not had the best of nights, then infuriated both the home bench and the massive home support when a glaring hand ball in the box by Bates resulted in claims being waved aside. It was a penalty all day long and I understand the linesman later told Neil that he’d seen the hand ball but didn’t think it was a penalty! The player had moved his arm towards the ball and in any fair minded person’s view that would constitute a penalty.

After Foderingham had been booked for time wasting, Clancy added four minutes of additional time. By this time, Whittaker had replaced Murray and Hibs moved to a back four with Hanlon pushed up front in the hope of getting to one of the many crosses into the box. As often seems to be the case, Hibs then resorted to mainly playing the ball short and very few crosses got anywhere near Hanlon. To finish off proceedings, a Hibs corner witnessed Rocky inside the Rangers penalty area but McGinn, not for the first time, fluffed his delivery and the ball sailed over everyone before going out for a throw to the Rangers.

A hugely disappointing outcome but as Neil said, his players gave him everything, especially in the second half and did not deserve to lose. The bottom line is that only one point has been taken from the last two games with Aberdeen at Pittodrie up next.

The players

Rocky – largely redundant although he had me worried at one point when he came out for a corner that he was never going to get anywhere near, leading to the Morelos miss described earlier. May have done better for the second but I’d like to see it again before committing.

Efe – I lost count of the number of Efe moments tonight. Frequently caught chasing the ball forward and leaving gaps behind him, from one of which the Rangers scored an equaliser.

Daz – had a fantastic game and I don’t think he lost a header all night. It’s good to see the big fella back and to witness him playing so well after a lengthy layoff.

Paul – allowed Morelos to turn him inside out for the second goal and that was disappointing to witness from a normally very reliable defender.

Boyler – caused Declan John no end of problems and must be hugely frustrated that many of his crosses came to nothing. I would say though that he should have cut the ball back in the first half when he elected instead to do what he did against Celtic – fire the ball straight at the keeper’s legs.

Dylan – sponsor gave him man of the match and whilst I felt he was much better than he was against Celtic he was guilty yet again of taking too long to pick a pass and, frustratingly, reluctant to take a shot when around the edge of the box.

SJM – literally nothing came off for him tonight. Wasteful in possession and caught with the ball at his feet I felt he was simply trying too hard. Needs to relax and let his natural game flow.

Lewis – great positioning at the goal and a rare right foot strike that may well have gone in even if it hadn’t deflected. I noticed one poor cross tonight and remarked to my brother that it would be raised on here, rather than the many very good things he did during the game.

Simon – never at the races and was largely anonymous for the 88 minutes he stayed on the park. Had we had another striker on the bench I reckon Murray would have been hooked earlier.

Oli – delighted the laddie was given his first competitive start in the first team but at times he looked like a fish out of water. Having said that, there were other times when his play was intelligent and had he had more support around him he may have flourished.

Stokesy – I just know I’m going to get pelters for this but I thought Stokes was woeful tonight. Continually lost possession, failed to get up in support of the strikers and pretty much convinced many around me that he failed to deliver – again. I thought his reaction at the final whistle said it all. Argued with the ref and then walked off. The other players did the normal thing of applauding the fans. It’s been said that Stokes doesn’t give a damn about Hibs and is all about himself. I know he has a fantastic football brain and I know that he can be very skilful but you do wonder why Neil keeps changing things to suit him.

Barker – I thought the laddie was terrific tonight and led the Rangers defenders on a merry dance. They seemed terrified of him and rightly so. I’m convinced that if either of the shots that hit the post had gone in we’d have won the game. Played less than half the 90 minutes but pipped big Daz for my man of the match.

Whitty – too little too late.

Neil – must be tearing his hair out watching endless opportunities to score being squandered.

The fans – fantastic yet again and I particularly enjoyed the Since1875 display in the FF lower.

The Ref – missed a glaring penalty and a handful of fouls on Hibs players that were waived aside.

Don’t agree about Efe, thought he was class