PDA

View Full Version : We set up completely wrong.

RossScott1991
13-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Frustrating one tonight. Poor team selection tonight. Always felt we looked in first half especially imbalanced and light in middle of park. Stokes Murray and shaw was a horrible decision IMO. Second half much better once barker was on the left, Boyle on the right. We play our best and have abit of balance to the side when we go with the out and out wide players.

That being said, the 2nd goal especially was shooting ourselves in the foot.

Eesti
13-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Frustrating one tonight. Poor team selection tonight. Always felt we looked in first half especially imbalanced and light in middle of park. Stokes Murray and shaw was a horrible decision IMO. Second half much better once barker was on the left, Boyle on the right. We play our best and have abit of balance to the side when we go with the out and out wide players.

That being said, the 2nd goal especially was shooting ourselves in the foot.You are joking. We have never ever, in my 40 years watching Hibs vs The Rangers dominated a match more....

S4uzee
Not playing 3 CMs was a very bad decision

Heisenberg
Was a mental team selection. The twice that Rangers managed to string a couple of passes together they scored and we were a mess. Should’ve stuck with our usual lineup as our performance in the second half showed.

LaMotta
13-12-2017, 10:38 PM

That being said, the 2nd goal especially was shooting ourselves in the foot.

Agree. Worked for first 20 then Rangers figured us out. Always think Bartley should play in these games. 2nd half we were far better.

Having said all that, we were the better team tonight and were robbed by a ludicrous decision to not give us a penalty.

LaMotta
13-12-2017, 10:40 PM
You are joking. We have never ever, in my 40 years watching Hibs vs The Rangers dominated a match more....

You must have missed a fair few Hibs Rangers games in recent years then.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Its a strange one when we've completely controlled the game from start to finish.

Apart from a daft 5 minutes which certainly cost us, we played very very well.

I'd have started with different personnel, but that is a game we could have won handsomely, yet didn't and the team will be questioned.

Maybe sometimes you just dont get what you should or deserve, although a cheating linesman certainly does not help.

Eesti
13-12-2017, 10:42 PM
You must have missed a fair few Hibs Rangers games in recent years then. Nope. But the performance tonight was very good and I still thought that we dominated till the end.

Bishop Hibee
13-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Analysing the goals, neither was the result of the formation. The first was Ambrose coming in from right back trying to win s header he never could and then Windass being free. Second was poor from Hanlon but either Stevenson or McGinn should have gone to help him. As for Rocky, dreadful for the second.

That said, Shaw was totally ineffective. Barker made a huge difference when he came on.

MartinfaePorty
13-12-2017, 10:44 PM
7 games in December meant we were always going to rotate the squad and injuries accelerated this. 3 down and 1 win 1 draw, 1 loss. 7 or 8 points (or more) from the final 4 would cement our position going into the break.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

LaMotta
13-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Nope. But the performance tonight was very good and I still thought that we dominated till the end.

We may have been the better team tonight, but we have hammered them several times with far more dominating displays.

SideBurns
13-12-2017, 11:15 PM
We may have been the better team tonight, but we have hammered them several times with far more dominating displays.

The goal that lost us the game was a shocker; Young Oli too easily knocked off the ball, Hanlon gets skinned, Rocky beaten at his front post. That aside, we played superbly and were by far the better team. But none of our strikers looked like scoring, and so, for the umpteenth time this season, we dominate a game yet don't get the result. Shaw has tremendous potential, but Murray was dreadful tonight and Stokes simply never looks likely to score, unless from the penalty spot (of course, he should have been given that chance this evening).

ancient hibee
13-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Of course it doesn’t help when Boyle ignores two standing unmarked in the middle of the box and has a go himself when Foderingham has already narrowed the angle.Two nil then and they would have collapsed.

neil7908
13-12-2017, 11:25 PM
I think part of the problem is not just this game but our general failure to kill off teams.

We need to start keeping far more clean sheets than we do and our chances to goals ratio is poor.

southern hibby
13-12-2017, 11:28 PM
We were the better team and I’m all for attacking football but 3 strikers on from the start. We still couldn’t score the bucket load of chances we made.

Can’t remember once shaw or Murray passed to one another. The Rangers set up against us like Dumbarton and most championship teams did last season with 11 men behind the ball and hit us on the break. We were without doubt the better team but we seriously need a very good goal scoring poacher.

2-1 down and Murray off for Whittaker. Not what I would have done but then I don’t get paid to make these calls. NL had us playing well tonight of that there is no question but please Hibs all I want for Christmas is a poacher in the box.

GGTTH

Nicho87
13-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Too soon for Shaw. Tin hat. Bartley should have been deployed instead.

truehibernian
13-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Of course it doesn’t help when Boyle ignores two standing unmarked in the middle of the box and has a go himself when Foderingham has already narrowed the angle.Two nil then and they would have collapsed.

Without doubt a game changing moment - that goes in its a whole different game. You saw the visible lift they got from not going 2 down. Terrific move too, Shaw’s ball inch perfect.

RossScott1991
13-12-2017, 11:50 PM
You are joking. We have never ever, in my 40 years watching Hibs vs The Rangers dominated a match more....

We dominate yes, but my point is I think we would have been more effective if we had gone for our tried and trusted set up.

wookie70
13-12-2017, 11:56 PM
What is our tried and trusted set up. Lennon changes personnel and shape every few weeks

RossScott1991
14-12-2017, 12:05 AM
What is our tried and trusted set up. Lennon changes personnel and shape every few weeks

My personal opinion is the team that beat hearts. Obviously few changes here and there, however Stokes, Shaw and Murray all in same lineup was first time to try all 3 in team from start and I didn’t think tonight’s game was the one to experiment on.

Northernhibee
14-12-2017, 12:06 AM
It's a common theme in the big games under Lennon sadly.

truehibernian
14-12-2017, 12:11 AM
It's a common theme in the big games under Lennon sadly.

Played Celtic, drawn twice
Played The Rangers, won one, lost one
Played Aberdeen, lost one
Played Hearts, won one.
Played Motherwell, drawn one, won one

Where is the common theme in these big games because for me it shows we are doing not too bad against our main rivals ? Only two defeats in eight in that selection.

matty_f
14-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Nothing wrong with the tactics tonight, imho. We were very good and totally dominant, if we'd won by two or three The Rangers would have had no complaints.

Hibernia&Alba
14-12-2017, 12:15 AM
I have no complaints about the team tonight. But for a very good performance by Foderingham and a diabolical performance from Clancy, we would have won that game comfortably. We just didn't get our just rewards tonight.

Hibernia&Alba
14-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Nothing wrong with the tactics tonight, imho. We were very good and totally dominant, if we'd won by two or three The Rangers would have had no complaints.

:agree:

Wheat Hound
14-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Played Celtic, drawn twice
Played The Rangers, won one, lost one
Played Aberdeen, lost one
Played Hearts, won one.
Played Motherwell, drawn one, won one

Where is the common theme in these big games because for me it shows we are doing not too bad against our main rivals ? Only two defeats in eight in that selection.

Totally agree. We were a poaching striker away from a convincing win tonight. We are a work in progress but the progress is all in the right direction.

RamYer1902
14-12-2017, 12:16 AM
"Set up wrong." We should've been 3 up by the time rangers scored!! If Boyle squares it we are 2-0 up and cruising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsboy69
14-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Astonishing to say that "we set up completely wrong".

We hammered Rangers. Had it been a boxing match it would have been stopped on points.

With hindsight he probably shouldn't have started with Shaw..........but the young lad was rewarded for his goals against Celtic with a starting place tonight

Goalie had a mare, we hit the post twice, stonewall pen denied...............we would've been waxing lyrical about the set up had these freakish acts of god gone the other way !

We lick our wounds and move on

:flag:

Mibbes Aye
14-12-2017, 12:36 AM

We showed up well in both halves. Add that to the performance against Celtc, especially in the last twenty, and we are a team that's performing well.

I think we will kick on in the second half, as we've shown we've got no fear against anyone else.

Early days yet, but we are sitting well-placed in fourth. By my rough recall, we've managed a top four finish only six times in the last forty years. It's about time we started improving on that and with this manager and this squad, in this league, I feel confident we can do so. Top four and aiming for better.

Stuart93
14-12-2017, 12:38 AM

We showed up well in both halves. Add that to the performance against Celtc, especially in the last twenty, and we are a team that's performing well.

I think we will kick on in the second half, as we've shown we've got no fear against anyone else.

Early days yet, but we are sitting well-placed in fourth. By my rough recall, we've managed a top four finish only six times in the last forty years. It's about time we started improving on that and with this manager and this squad, in this league, I feel confident we can do so. Top four and aiming for better.

There's a big difference between performing well & picking up points. I know what I'd rather be doing.

hibsboy69
14-12-2017, 12:42 AM
There's a big difference between performing well & picking up points. I know what I'd rather be doing.

No **** Sherlock ! :faf:

This thread is about the formation tonight, which in the main worked very well. We dominated almost the entire game! Cannot legislate for our keeper having a mare, stonewall pen not given, hitting the woodwork twice. Sometimes in football you do not get what you deserve, tonight was an acute example of that.......sadly! :boo hoo:

Mibbes Aye
14-12-2017, 12:45 AM

The point is we are picking up points. And we won't continue picking up points without performing well.

We were hit by two sucker punches tonight. We were better though, just like at Ibrox. These things happen, no need for panic, we carry on with that attitude and approach and we can aim for higher than fourth.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Opinions I suppose but I would take that performance every week. When the opposition goalkeeper gets MotM it is not for standing with his hands on his hips.

Smartie
14-12-2017, 05:24 AM
I thought we were set up right.

We dominated from start to finish and only lost out due to a couple of moments of madness.

The change at the start of the second half was correct.

The changes right at the end were bizarre but we had to try something.

Lennon couldn't have done more and we played very well.

Just Jimmy
14-12-2017, 06:53 AM
biggest thing for me was having all three strikers on, when he needed to gamble late on he had nothing to change it.

pick a back four and play it. get SDG at right back to start with as soon as he's fit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
14-12-2017, 06:53 AM
I think people need to watch Boyles chance again. It was by no means a straight forward cut back to Murray and Stokes was miles away.

Might have scored with a cut back but it wasn't easy so let's not pretend it was.

Boyle was also off side I think, so the poor officiating wasn't entirely one sided

rotherhamrob
14-12-2017, 07:34 AM
It's ok saying we set up wrong but if we'd put our chances away this thread wouldn't exist,instead we'd have been waxing lyrical on how daring neil lennon had been.
Mental isn't it.

weecounty hibby
14-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Set up was fine. I can't remember ever thinking that we could have easily scored five or six against that shower of *****. One up then aha long and Boyle had great chances. We fell asleep for five minutes and they score. 2nd half was one way traffic , missed some more chances, but the post twice and denied a stonewall pen. They had zero impact for probably 80 of the 90 minutes. I would say we were set up just fine.

MacGruber
14-12-2017, 07:42 AM
It's ok saying we set up wrong but if we'd put our chances away this thread wouldn't exist,instead we'd have been waxing lyrical on how daring neil lennon had been.

The Rangers had the chances without being dominant because our set up left too much space in the middle and back.
If we take our chances great. They have scored 2 and had chances for another 2 or 3 themselves.
Morelos has missed 2 free headers unmarked in the 6 yard box aiming at an open goal. The 2 best chances out with the goals scored. If you front load with players you are going to create a lot, possibly dominate and look threatening but for the times you get sprung on you are exposed. The Rangers sit in for the cavalry charges and take theirs when they come. We've laid out their tactics for them. If we played our usual 4 4 2 or one up, 3 in the middle and 2 wide I don't think we get beat by that The Rangers team.
Neil Lennon got it wrong for me and it has cost us.
But - he's got far more right than wrong this season and we have a great bunch of lads who I think will ultimately finish 2nd

Alex Trager
14-12-2017, 07:49 AM
I think part of the problem is not just this game but our general failure to kill off teams.

We need to start keeping far more clean sheets than we do and our chances to goals ratio is poor.

We had exactly that chance with Boyle in the first half.

A stunning ball up to him and we are through. He has to score or square it and we are two up and it’s game over.

The defending for both goals is comical

rotherhamrob
14-12-2017, 07:53 AM
The Rangers had the chances without being dominant because our set up left too much space in the middle and back.
If we take our chances great. They have scored 2 and had chances for another 2 or 3 themselves.
Morelos has missed 2 free headers unmarked in the 6 yard box aiming at an open goal. The 2 best chances out with the goals scored. If you front load with players you are going to create a lot, possibly dominate and look threatening but for the times you get sprung on you are exposed. The Rangers sit in for the cavalry charges and take theirs when they come. We've laid out their tactics for them. If we played our usual 4 4 2 or one up, 3 in the middle and 2 wide I don't think we get beat by that The Rangers team.
Neil Lennon got it wrong for me and it has cost us.
But - he's got far more right than wrong this season and we have a great bunch of lads who I think will ultimately finish 2nd

Just for the record I'd have had Bartley in for Shaw.
I was merely pointing out that the result can alter the types of threads that are posted.

LaMotta
14-12-2017, 08:04 AM
We had exactly that chance with Boyle in the first half.

A stunning ball up to him and we are through. He has to score or square it and we are two up and it’s game over.

The defending for both goals is comical

First post in months about events in a game and no surprise to see you slaughtering Boyle, given you claimed pre season he isnt good enough for us.

Boyle has been outstanding this season, and not once have you been on here giving him praise. Sums up mentality of some folk who can't wait to latch on to something to try to prove their misguided pish is actually correct.

Alex Trager
14-12-2017, 08:24 AM
First post in months about events in a game and no surprise to see you slaughtering Boyle, given you claimed pre season he isnt good enough for us.

Boyle has been outstanding this season, and not once have you been on here giving him praise. Sums up mentality of some folk who can't wait to latch on to something to try to prove their misguided pish is actually correct.

Haha okay.

I can’t recall saying he isn’t good enough for us. What I would have said is he doesn’t score enough/make the right decision considering the chances he gets.

Has that changed?
Not at all.

He has been improved this season for certain.

He has also had chances to kill games for us, Hamilton and last night spring to mind, and he hasn’t.

LaMotta
14-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Haha okay.

I can’t recall saying he isn’t good enough for us. What I would have said is he doesn’t score enough/make the right decision considering the chances he gets.

Has that changed?
Not at all.

He has been improved this season for certain.

He has also had chances to kill games for us, Hamilton and last night spring to mind, and he hasn’t.

ffs him and Barker were our best players last night.

Just admit you got it wrong about him.

Alex Trager
14-12-2017, 08:43 AM
ffs him and Barker were our best players last night.

Just admit you got it wrong about him.

Where have I said anything that is incorrect?

‘Just admit you got it wrong about him’ is that for real?

Boyle is a real asset. He has a lot pace and I am glad we have him and others don’t.

That doesn’t change the fact he gets into many decent positions and doesn’t kill the game when he can do