PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sportsound - stadium talk

RoxburghHibs
12-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Listening to the discussions on moving away from Hampden. Some sensible chat about moving big games to Murrayfield but they have mentioned moving smaller games to Aberdeen and Tynecastle several times. Not a single mention of Easter Road - the best/biggest football stadium outside Glasgow.

:rolleyes:

JohnMcM
12-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Listening to the discussions on moving away from Hampden. Some sensible chat about moving big games to Murrayfield but they have mentioned moving smaller games to Aberdeen and Tynecastle several times. Not a single mention of Easter Road - the best/biggest football stadium outside Glasgow.

:rolleyes:

Ooof! You posted about 1 minute too early mate, they just mentioned us. Briefly, very briefly, but they did say "Easter Road".

I heard them.

Once again, it was briefly, very briefly.

Bless their little blindly biased socks.

RoxburghHibs
12-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Ooof! You posted about 1 minute too early mate, they just mentioned us. Briefly, very briefly, but they did say "Easter Road".

I heard them.

Once again, it was briefly, very briefly.

Bless their little blindly biased socks.

Must have been so brief I missed it :aok:

hibbyfraelibby
12-12-2017, 07:21 PM
They can play semis at Tynecastle but not full internationals as the stadium fails to meet both FIFA and UEFA minimum standards.

Can see semis going to ER and Tincastle and finals rotating to Parkhead, Castle Greyskull and Murrayfield ( if the uglies meet each other)

FifeHibs
12-12-2017, 07:41 PM
As much as I don't like Hampden winning the Scottish cup there will always be special.
Unsure the same magical feeling winning it at Darkheid, Greyskull or Murrayfield due to history of Hampden holding all the finals.

rossevenil
12-12-2017, 07:42 PM
But was funny here them discussing the fact they and their equipment was getting soaked in the rain in the critically aclaimed super duper Tinycastle Park! :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
12-12-2017, 07:44 PM
They’ve all just been complaing about getting soaked in the press area. Laptops and cables etc!!

Hibeesforever
12-12-2017, 07:44 PM
But was funny here them discussing the fact they and their equipment was getting soaked in the rain in the critically aclaimed super duper Tinycastle Park! :greengrin

Heard that too, absolutely made my day, what a shambles of a stand build.

Jack Hackett
12-12-2017, 07:46 PM
They’ve all just been complaing about getting soaked in the press area. Laptops and cables etc!!

That'll have damped the enthusiasm for internationals there then :greengrin

RIP
12-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Looks like loads of fans have joined the national supporters organisation.

https://scottishfsa.org

70,000 members already. It would be great if they had full representation from every SPFL club as they would then have a mandate to negotiate with the SFA and SPL.

Slim Shady
12-12-2017, 10:27 PM
They can play semis at Tynecastle but not full internationals as the stadium fails to meet both FIFA and UEFA minimum standards.

Can see semis going to ER and Tincastle and finals rotating to Parkhead, Castle Greyskull and Murrayfield ( if the uglies meet each other)

Can’t play them at Tynie.

They are on a match to match safety certificate atm. Fingers crossed their game goes ahead against Celtic without any problems or the derby will be in serious doubt. Police Scotland feel the stadium poses a direct threat to their ability to control any crowd trouble or emergency situation.

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Can’t play them at Tynie.

They are on a match to match safety certificate atm. Fingers crossed their game goes ahead against Celtic without any problems or the derby will be in serious doubt. Police Scotland feel the stadium poses a direct threat to their ability to control any crowd trouble or emergency situation.

If that genuinely is the case there should be no games taking place there.

Slim Shady
12-12-2017, 10:36 PM
You can physically walk round the whole stadium. Crazy

The faulty fire alarms alerted PS to the risk when they had to facilitate a fire evacuation against Hamilton.

Pete
12-12-2017, 11:55 PM
All these people demanding Murrayfield and criticising the views at Hampden should check some of the views football fans get at the rugby stadium. The pitch is miles away from the stands behind the goals and at one side where there's this strange running track or something.

Hampden isn't perfect but it's the home of Scottish football for me. People might not like the big curves behind the goals but I think we'd lose something if we got rid of them. They are a hint of what our game was like for years before sanitised all-seater stadiums took over...big, bustling bowls of terracing that generated atmosphere and hid a muntitude of sins.

Hampden is always going to have a place in our hearts now since 2016 so don't ****in take it away the minute we stop hating it after all these years!

Geo_1875
13-12-2017, 10:09 AM
All these people demanding Murrayfield and criticising the views at Hampden should check some of the views football fans get at the rugby stadium. The pitch is miles away from the stands behind the goals and at one side where there's this strange running track or something.

Hampden isn't perfect but it's the home of Scottish football for me. People might not like the big curves behind the goals but I think we'd lose something if we got rid of them. They are a hint of what our game was like for years before sanitised all-seater stadiums took over...big, bustling bowls of terracing that generated atmosphere and hid a muntitude of sins.

Hampden is always going to have a place in our hearts now since 2016 so don't ****in take it away the minute we stop hating it after all these years!

I think Hampden lost it's magic when they got rid of the old ash and sleeper terracing. Can't get sentimental over a "modern" football stadium.

Baader
13-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Tiny can't host them as it isn't UEFA compliant. These guys should know their job.

YanYansen
13-12-2017, 10:26 AM
They are a hint of what our game was like for years before sanitised all-seater stadiums took over...big, bustling bowls of terracing that generated atmosphere and hid a muntitude of sins.

Aye - but the point is that now it IS a sanitised all-seater stadium; or rather, more accurately, the problem is that it's an absolutely shan example of a sanitised all-seater stadium. The big, bustling bowls of terracing were great when that was what they were, but they're not now. People need to stop living in the past.

The argument for keeping it as is, is essentially James McFadden's on the radio last night: "Aye, but, ken, it's Hampden. There's been some great games there in the past." Hardly ******in persuasive.

However, the argument against is compelling, imo:

Atmosphere now is pish. The very biggest fixtures can generate something, but these fixtures would be even better in a good stadium.
Nightmare to get to/get away from for anyone who doesn't live in Glasgow, whether the crowd is 20,000 or 52,000. For Scotland fans especially, it's an absolute joke. (Compare with Murrayfield's links - no contest whatsoever)
In an area best described as a desolate housing estate, with precious little in the way of pubs surrounding it. (Again, compare with Murrayfield which has central Edinburgh on its doorstep - again, no contest whatsoever)
Semi-finals and Scotland games v Malta etc with 20,000 people there are unarguably **** - there's no argument I can see against hosting games like these at other grounds according to demand.
Lastly, and most importantly, Scottish football in general needs to move forward. An at least partial relocation of its focus from West to East would for me be a good start.

For me, where we won the cup is immaterial, and I'd have memories just as fond if it had been at Celtc Park or Murrayfield.

The time for sentiment is over, and I sense an overwhelming majority want change.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Alan Preston made very good arguments (can’t believe I said that) for Murrayfield last night.
Staying at Hampden is financial madness. It needs a massive upgrade and we just don’t have the money in the game. Far better to spend the money on indoor facilities in our big cities.
Moving away from Hampden would also be a big benefit to Hibs and might allow us to fill in the corners to give Scotland a 25/30k mid size venue it needs for certain internationals and semi finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan62
13-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Fergus McCann's open letter about Hampden (see the Herald) is a good read. While his lingering bitterness shines through, he's right, it was a mistake in the 90s and it's an even bigger mistake to stick with it now.

I'd use any available money to upgrade stadiums around the country and shift the focus of all things football away from the west. Imagine relocating the SFA and SPFL to Edinburgh? Now that would be fun.