PDA

View Full Version : NHC Leckie on that statement

Jim44
11-12-2017, 06:08 PM
This Leckie article really has them spitting sparks:

Rangers statement about Aberdeen’s Derek McInnes is not big and not clever..even if they use words like concomitant, says Bill Leckie

The Gers six-week chase for a new boss almost came to an end last week however McInnes decided to stay at the Dons with Ibrox chiefs releasing a statement on the decision

But this is Rangers we’re talking about here. Anyone running around yelling that their attempts to demean Derek McInnes signposted some kind of new low has clearly spent a lifetime not paying attention.

Compare the other night’s Ibrox statement to close on a century of an employment policy based on religious apartheid.

Or to publicly shaking their heads at the poisonous megamix that spews from the stands every week, while privately tapping their feet.

Compare it to swearing unflinching loyalty to Her Majesty The Queen, except in the piffling matter of contributing to her department of Revenue and Customs.

Or celebrating their presence in two European finals with a riot.

In this perspective, a bitchy, anonymous press release about a manager who’s just knocked them back probably doesn’t even make their all-time Top Ten.

No, the only surprise about the reaction to McInnes was that this was Rangers giving it tight to one of their own.

It’s a sure sign that the walls are closing in at Castle Greyskull — and, in particular, on Dave King.

Somehow, whatever the debacle or disgrace, throughout history they’ve always managed to get the wagons in a circle, to get everyone from boardroom to Broomloan inside the tent p***ing out.

You were either with them or against them, even if what you were saying was said for their own good.

But this time, not even the beariest of Bears was taken in by a statement whose every syllable smacked of stress, screamed of a leadership floundering out of its depth.

Here was the buffoon who thinks he can snap his fingers at a waitress in a restaurant, then tries to get her sacked when she doesn’t come running. Not a nice person.

At which point, it has to be said that I thought McInnes WOULD end up going to Ibrox.

On Thursday morning, I’d written that he should be hugely worried about everything to do with the fiasco surrounding their interest in him, but that despite it all they would probably be too big a pull to resist.

So it’s to his massive credit that he had the cojones to get out of the tractor beam, that being a Rangers Man wasn’t enough to convince him he should be Rangers manager — not now, not under this board, not in this financial climate.

A proper club, a truly big club, would have taken this news with dignity, expressed their disappointment and vowed to move on. And, yes, they might also have found a snidey way to make it sound like McInnes wasn’t the be all and end all, that he’d only been one blip on their radar.

Dave King, though, isn’t big and — in this instance at least — he certainly hasn’t been clever, no matter how often he uses words that even make Stephen Fry sneak a quick shufty at the dictionary.

A lot’s been made about who wrote that Ibrox statement. Rangers do, after all, have their own in-house press officer as well as a contracted PR agency who loom over every spit and cough emitted by the club, so it would be reasonable to presume one or the other had their fingers on the keyboard for this one.

There’s that one key word, though — concomitant. It’s not only in the McInnes statement, it was also in King’s address to last year’s AGM.

Use it once, you’re a smartarse. Use it twice, you’re the love child of Hyacinth Bucket and Russell Brand and even they’re telling you to wind your neck in.

Which leaves me thinking it could only have come about one of two ways.

One, King took the statement out of the hands of the experts he pays to do these things, in which case nothing they do from now on carries any credibility.

Or two, the PR bods were responsible, but they had chugged so much Valium to dull the pain of the situation that the laptop went all blurry and they actually meant to type “incompetent”.

Because that’s what Rangers are — and it all comes from the top, from King.

He’s neither scattercash sugardaddy nor firm hand on the tiller, neither statesmanlike presence nor motivational maestro.

He has money, sure, but clearly not enough he can lay his hands on at a moment’s notice.

He has rich diehards in the background he can convince to write big cheques to fight the latest fire, but lacks the clout to attract the really big investor to take them forward.

In short, he seems to me more of a blockage to Rangers getting anywhere than he is a catalyst. Someone who, with a band of well-meaning blazers around him, was able to keep the club alive but plainly can’t do much more.

Everything this Rangers board does is reactive, a fact proved empirically (see, Dave, other people know pointlessly big words, too) by their hapless hunt for Caixinha’s replacement. They beat Hearts and Thistle in the first two games post-sacking, so they relax and decide they’ll get away with Graeme Murty in charge for the foreseeable.

Then they lose to Hamilton and Dundee and start running around like their hair’s on fire.

Then they wait to move for McInnes until after he’s lost to them twice in three days — then throw a hissy fit when he decides all of this and more is no basis for a successful relationship.

A performance which makes King’s high-handed, low-respect use of the word concomitant appear all the more ill-judged.

After all, it’s an adjective or noun used to describe the subject’s weighing up of the pitfalls and pressures of a given task and deciding if they’re worth it.

This is something Derek McInnes did, before coming to a conclusion few could argue with.

And maybe that’s what gets to Dave King most. The fact that someone else could think beyond their ego when it came to working with a basket case of a club.

HTD1875
11-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Bill Leckie is a tube. Just prints anything controversial in the hope of a bit attention.

Pretty Boy
11-12-2017, 06:15 PM
They won’t like that much.

I wonder how many times ‘tarrier’, ‘taig’ and ‘fenian’ have been used to describe Leckie since that was written.

Sioux
11-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Bill Leckie is a tube. Just prints anything controversial in the hope of a bit attention.

Anything wrong with what he has said in this piece?

Joe6-2
11-12-2017, 06:17 PM
They will not like that! Particularly as it’s true!

hibs#1
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
This will down well with the Huns.😂

hibs#1
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
This will go down well with the Huns.😂

stoneyburn hibs
11-12-2017, 06:25 PM

He's telling it like it is, I don't see what's wrong with it.

HoboHarry
11-12-2017, 06:25 PM
So he is a tube even when what he prints is true?

MyJo
11-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Nail on the head but fully expect the majority of the knuckledraggers to be raging at the fenian media and how its all a kafflick consipiracy to make them look bad.

Stantons Angel
11-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Anything wrong with what he has said in this piece?

IMHO NO!

He should have gone back and read the famous "Statement" after the cup final regarding their failure to win that cup.

The guy seems to throw the rattles out the pram every time he doesn't get his own way.

He seems to think his so called team have the God given right to win and that everyone should bow down to their every wish.... complete moron!

Winston Ingram
11-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Bell Leckie is bang on there.

Very brave to go off Weegia script

Bostonhibby
11-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Decent article and very accurate. It'll never catch on.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 07:07 PM
The full article is much more cutting.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1954790/rangers-aberdeen-derek-mcinnes-bill-leckie-statement/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
11-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Wow that articles fantastic. Even using 'Castle Greyskull' as a synonym for, we'll, Castle Greyskull. Still, good to see the MSM doing it.

high bee
11-12-2017, 07:11 PM
A change of tact by the media, lamb must be off the menu to help afford a new manager.

poolman
11-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Why don't you tell us what in the name of *"*" is controversial about that piece that Leckie wrote

Every word is spot on

ancient hibee
11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
IMHO NO!

He should have gone back and read the famous "Statement" after the cup final regarding their failure to win that cup.

The guy seems to throw the rattles out the pram every time he doesn't get his own way.

He seems to think his so called team have the God given right to win and that everyone should bow down to their every wish.... complete moron!

Don’t really follow your post.I would think this is the most critical article on Rangers that I’ve ever read.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Went to school with Bill, Billy as was known then. Good journalist

Smartie
11-12-2017, 07:19 PM
The Rangers board are morons who pander to the lowest common denominator amongst their support.

Those internet bampots, the very vocal, bigoted, idiotic bunch that make the most noise will be incandescent when they read this.

I suspect that a quieter majority will agree with every word and be grateful that someone actually says it like it is.

They're going nowhere with King and the current regime.

Carheenlea
11-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Started to read it but gave up after five or six paragraphs - realised I wasn't the slightest bit interested. The whole Rangers/McKinnes saga just has the eyes glazing over.

Famous Fiver
11-12-2017, 07:26 PM
I think we can expect the full repertoire of 'folk songs' on Wednesday since the bile churned out by 'the best supporters in the world, went unchecked yesterday.

A depressing prospect.

theonlywayisup
11-12-2017, 07:34 PM
When's the next The Rangers statement?

Also that'll be Leckie banned from Castle Greyskull.

silverhibee
11-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Wow that articles fantastic. Even using 'Castle Greyskull' as a synonym for, we'll, Castle Greyskull. Still, good to see the MSM doing it.

Speak to any Huns and they will tell you the good guys come from Castle Greyskull :rolleyes:

brog
11-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Bill Leckie is one of the few Scottish journos I respect. He'll get attention for this OK but it's not attention any of us would want. This is possibly the best & most scathing critique of The Rangers I've ever read in the MSM. I wish there were more tubes like Bill Leckie.

beensaidbefore
11-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Speak to any Huns and they will tell you the good guys come from Castle Greyskull :rolleyes:

And the reply should be, 'only in cartoons!'.😀

jacomo
11-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I really think the end is coming for the Lying King.

Obviously he's a horrid piece of work with dead eyes and no soul, but so far the Hun faithful have stuck with him.

No longer. They might rage at this piece but it is King who has invited this criticism onto the club.

Hibernia&Alba
11-12-2017, 08:12 PM

He-Man lived there; Skeletor lived at Snake Mountain. They're correct on that. It sounds good though.

Leckie with all guns blazing in that piece. The truth will really rile them.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Rubbish I don't agree with all he says but he speaks a lot of sense, often.

mjhibby
11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
When's the next The Rangers statement?

Also that'll be Leckie banned from Castle Greyskull.

Is the BBC still banned. Yet they run after them. Utterly embarrassing on all counts.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Started to read it but gave up after five or six paragraphs - realised I wasn't the slightest bit interested. The whole Rangers/McKinnes saga just has the eyes glazing over.

Yawn :yawn2::yawn2::yawn2: why bother posting ?

O'Rourke3
11-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Always had a lot of time for Bill Leckie just can't stand his employers. I loved the bit Witherspoon their feet. Someone finally calls them out on this. That's going to get his windaes done in again I'm sure. Hun hoards will see this as usual anti Rangers bias given they've managed to turn liquidation and instant promotion to the senior leagues into punishment. I hope we grub them again on Wednesday.

O'Rourke3
11-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Is the BBC still banned. Yet they run after them. Utterly embarrassing on all counts.

BBC isn't banned, Chris McLaughlin is. BBC refusing to play until ban lifted.

Renfrew_Hibby
11-12-2017, 08:52 PM
All Hail Bill Leckie!

ehf
11-12-2017, 09:29 PM

How is the weather on Pluto?

That is a brilliant and courageous article by Leckie.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2017, 09:49 PM

I disagree and all power to him for writing what the rest of his MSM colleagues bottle out of

oldbutdim
11-12-2017, 10:04 PM

I see what you did there.

:thumbsup:

Deansy
12-12-2017, 01:06 AM
The Rangers board are morons who pander to the lowest common denominator amongst their support.

Those internet bampots, the very vocal, bigoted, idiotic bunch that make the most noise will be incandescent when they read this.

I suspect that a quieter majority will agree with every word and be grateful that someone actually says it like it is.

They're going nowhere with King and the current regime.

They have to - in the weeks/months after they were liquidated, Green & Co had to immediately appeal to the largest % of their support to survive and the largest % of their support ARE collectively the lowest common denominator - fact !

And now they're stuck with em - and boy, aint that fact lovely !!!!

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 08:50 AM
How is the weather on Pluto?

That is a brilliant and courageous article by Leckie.

Agree totally brave thing to say but only brave because of the obvious cowardice and sycophantic attitude towards Rangers shown by the vast majority of the MSM a disproportionate number of whom apparently used to work for the Rangers news.

lapsedhibee
12-12-2017, 09:22 AM
I see what you did there.

:thumbsup:

:greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
This Leckie article really has them spitting sparks:

Rangers statement about Aberdeen’s Derek McInnes is not big and not clever..even if they use words like concomitant, says Bill Leckie

The Gers six-week chase for a new boss almost came to an end last week however McInnes decided to stay at the Dons with Ibrox chiefs releasing a statement on the decision

But this is Rangers we’re talking about here. Anyone running around yelling that their attempts to demean Derek McInnes signposted some kind of new low has clearly spent a lifetime not paying attention.

Compare the other night’s Ibrox statement to close on a century of an employment policy based on religious apartheid.

Or to publicly shaking their heads at the poisonous megamix that spews from the stands every week, while privately tapping their feet.

Compare it to swearing unflinching loyalty to Her Majesty The Queen, except in the piffling matter of contributing to her department of Revenue and Customs.

Or celebrating their presence in two European finals with a riot.

In this perspective, a bitchy, anonymous press release about a manager who’s just knocked them back probably doesn’t even make their all-time Top Ten.

No, the only surprise about the reaction to McInnes was that this was Rangers giving it tight to one of their own.

It’s a sure sign that the walls are closing in at Castle Greyskull — and, in particular, on Dave King.

Somehow, whatever the debacle or disgrace, throughout history they’ve always managed to get the wagons in a circle, to get everyone from boardroom to Broomloan inside the tent p***ing out.

You were either with them or against them, even if what you were saying was said for their own good.

But this time, not even the beariest of Bears was taken in by a statement whose every syllable smacked of stress, screamed of a leadership floundering out of its depth.

Here was the buffoon who thinks he can snap his fingers at a waitress in a restaurant, then tries to get her sacked when she doesn’t come running. Not a nice person.

At which point, it has to be said that I thought McInnes WOULD end up going to Ibrox.

On Thursday morning, I’d written that he should be hugely worried about everything to do with the fiasco surrounding their interest in him, but that despite it all they would probably be too big a pull to resist.

So it’s to his massive credit that he had the cojones to get out of the tractor beam, that being a Rangers Man wasn’t enough to convince him he should be Rangers manager — not now, not under this board, not in this financial climate.

A proper club, a truly big club, would have taken this news with dignity, expressed their disappointment and vowed to move on. And, yes, they might also have found a snidey way to make it sound like McInnes wasn’t the be all and end all, that he’d only been one blip on their radar.

Dave King, though, isn’t big and — in this instance at least — he certainly hasn’t been clever, no matter how often he uses words that even make Stephen Fry sneak a quick shufty at the dictionary.

A lot’s been made about who wrote that Ibrox statement. Rangers do, after all, have their own in-house press officer as well as a contracted PR agency who loom over every spit and cough emitted by the club, so it would be reasonable to presume one or the other had their fingers on the keyboard for this one.

There’s that one key word, though — concomitant. It’s not only in the McInnes statement, it was also in King’s address to last year’s AGM.

Use it once, you’re a smartarse. Use it twice, you’re the love child of Hyacinth Bucket and Russell Brand and even they’re telling you to wind your neck in.

Which leaves me thinking it could only have come about one of two ways.

One, King took the statement out of the hands of the experts he pays to do these things, in which case nothing they do from now on carries any credibility.

Or two, the PR bods were responsible, but they had chugged so much Valium to dull the pain of the situation that the laptop went all blurry and they actually meant to type “incompetent”.

Because that’s what Rangers are — and it all comes from the top, from King.

He’s neither scattercash sugardaddy nor firm hand on the tiller, neither statesmanlike presence nor motivational maestro.

He has money, sure, but clearly not enough he can lay his hands on at a moment’s notice.

He has rich diehards in the background he can convince to write big cheques to fight the latest fire, but lacks the clout to attract the really big investor to take them forward.

In short, he seems to me more of a blockage to Rangers getting anywhere than he is a catalyst. Someone who, with a band of well-meaning blazers around him, was able to keep the club alive but plainly can’t do much more.

Everything this Rangers board does is reactive, a fact proved empirically (see, Dave, other people know pointlessly big words, too) by their hapless hunt for Caixinha’s replacement. They beat Hearts and Thistle in the first two games post-sacking, so they relax and decide they’ll get away with Graeme Murty in charge for the foreseeable.

Then they lose to Hamilton and Dundee and start running around like their hair’s on fire.

Then they wait to move for McInnes until after he’s lost to them twice in three days — then throw a hissy fit when he decides all of this and more is no basis for a successful relationship.

A performance which makes King’s high-handed, low-respect use of the word concomitant appear all the more ill-judged.

After all, it’s an adjective or noun used to describe the subject’s weighing up of the pitfalls and pressures of a given task and deciding if they’re worth it.

This is something Derek McInnes did, before coming to a conclusion few could argue with.

And maybe that’s what gets to Dave King most. The fact that someone else could think beyond their ego when it came to working with a basket case of a club.

Correct Bill. We all know that both the old and new Rangers are ****. The difference is the new one is even more of a joke. Roll on Wednesday.

NAE NOOKIE
12-12-2017, 01:12 PM
The most eye opening bit of that article isn't the fact that he called them out on their petted lip statement on the McInnes saga, its the fact that he told it like it is regarding their approach to sectarianism "publicly shaking their heads at the poisonous megamix that spews from the stands every week, while privately tapping their feet" You wont find many in the Scottish MSM with the guts to be so blunt, so hats off to him for it.

When you look at the Rangers 2012 situation the tragedy of it cant be overstated ..... here was a club which through its own mismanagement had to start again from the very beginning, the one positive from the whole car crash was that it was also handed an opportunity to reinvent itself, to take stock and become something better.
Instead they re emerged from the wreckage as an even worse version of the club they replaced, with a chip on both shoulders blaming everybody but themselves for what had gone before and pandering to the very worst exponents of the 'Rangers culture' ........ Its a wonder they never took the opportunity to change the club colours to Orange with a picture of King Billy as the crest.

Springbank
12-12-2017, 02:01 PM
I think we can expect the full repertoire of 'folk songs' on Wednesday since the bile churned out by 'the best supporters in the world, went unchecked yesterday.

A depressing prospect.

That time we got an early goal them kept battering them to do them 4-0

They didn't do much singing that day

Let's hope for a repeat or better...

IGRIGI
12-12-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm glad he had a go at their sectarianism, something that has never been tackled by the media in Scotland.

hibby6270
12-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Can’t really disagree or argue about anything Leckie has said there.

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm glad he had a go at their sectarianism, something that has never been tackled by the media in Scotland.

To be fair Graham Spiers has frequently spoken out about it unfortunately the clubs and the authorities think it is ok with no doubt a full rendition tomorrow night to look forward to..

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 04:36 PM
The most eye opening bit of that article isn't the fact that he called them out on their petted lip statement on the McInnes saga, its the fact that he told it like it is regarding their approach to sectarianism "publicly shaking their heads at the poisonous megamix that spews from the stands every week, while privately tapping their feet" You wont find many in the Scottish MSM with the guts to be so blunt, so hats off to him for it.

When you look at the Rangers 2012 situation the tragedy of it cant be overstated ..... here was a club which through its own mismanagement had to start again from the very beginning, the one positive from the whole car crash was that it was also handed an opportunity to reinvent itself, to take stock and become something better.
Instead they re emerged from the wreckage as an even worse version of the club they replaced, with a chip on both shoulders blaming everybody but themselves for what had gone before and pandering to the very worst exponents of the 'Rangers culture' ........ Its a wonder they never took the opportunity to change the club colours to Orange with a picture of King Billy as the crest.

Good post. When you have supposed respectable Rangers figures like Walter Smith going on last season about being bitter with other clubs about having to start in League 2 then you can see the problem you are dealing. Their sense of entitlement is sickening.

Keith_M
12-12-2017, 06:20 PM
To be fair Graham Spiers has frequently spoken out about it unfortunately the clubs and the authorities think it is ok with no doubt a full rendition tomorrow night to look forward to..

And they have exactly the same attitude to practically the whole Celtc end belting out their IRA based bile on Saturday.

Two cheeks of the same erse.

cabbageandribs1875
12-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Went to school with Bill, Billy as was known then. Good journalist

so both of you really were billy boys

:)

Finn2015
12-12-2017, 08:17 PM

He is BUT, very close to the truth here I would imagine

Mixu62
12-12-2017, 10:54 PM

Which is why my uncle refers to it as Snake Mountain. Much more apt!

Captain Trips
12-12-2017, 11:02 PM

There will be nae renditions as a grubbing will be happening and they will be silent and leaving.