PDA

View Full Version : John Beaton (and other SPFL referees)

StevieT
10-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Not his worst game today but when are they going to do the job they get paid well to do. I read today that they get paid £850 per game, plus expenses, and yet how many times this season have visiting teams ended with a full compliment of players when they could / should have been reduced to 10? I'm not saying that we would win these games but if they do their job properly then we at least have a fighting chance.

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Boyata should have got a second yellow for his foul on McGeoch. Bartley got a yellow for a tackle where he at least got the ball first. Ref bottled it.

Pretty Boy
10-12-2017, 10:05 PM
He totally bottled it in not sending Boyata off. Booked him then less than 2 minutes later failed to book him for a foul that was very similar to what he had booked Bartley for. Any other player and that would have been a yellow.

Also ridiculous that Scott Brown had 6 fouls in the 1st half alone, 2within 30 seconds of each other, and wasn’t booked.

IWasThere2016
10-12-2017, 10:06 PM
I think Beaton got it wrong for both sides. Most refs do.

But the standard now is poorest I can ever remember..

gaz1875
10-12-2017, 10:08 PM
The handball just on the D first half we never got, shortly followed by McGeouch winning the ball and getting a foul given against him were a bit odd :confused:

matty_f
10-12-2017, 10:08 PM
He was awful today. Properly shat it to send off Boyata. That's inexcusable, imho.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Totally bottled the Boyata decision.

If they had gone down to 10 men for that last 5 minutes, considering how much we were on top of them at the end of the game, I think we would have had a great chance of winning the game.

The foul that should have seen him sent off was a clear booking, shocking from Beaton.

snooky
10-12-2017, 11:07 PM
In the video report, he appears to blow for FT immediately after Sinclair shoots over the bar.
Timing, eh?

givescotlandfreedom
11-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Boyata should have got a second yellow for his foul on McGeoch. Bartley got a yellow for a tackle where he at least got the ball first. Ref bottled it.

That was a complete bottle job. Can anyone honestly say Celtc don't get preferential treatment after seeing that?

givescotlandfreedom
11-12-2017, 12:11 AM
I've not seen it on TV but thought we should have had a foul on the touchline where they regained possession in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

kaimendhibs
11-12-2017, 12:18 AM
I've not seen it on TV but thought we should have had a foul on the touchline where they regained possession in the lead up to their 2nd goal.Me too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fuzzywuzzy
11-12-2017, 07:25 AM
In the video report, he appears to blow for FT immediately after Sinclair shoots over the bar.
Timing, eh?

Thought it was strange. He blew for full time and the players just all stopped and never moved. Normally they'd walk off or shake hands but they all just seemed to stop

patlowe
11-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Thought it was strange. He blew for full time and the players just all stopped and never moved. Normally they'd walk off or shake hands but they all just seemed to stop

I think there was an element of both sets of players not really knowing how to react to the final score. Both could justifiably be a bit disappointed not to win given how it all transpired in thee closing stages.

calumhibee1
11-12-2017, 07:40 AM
I've not seen it on TV but thought we should have had a foul on the touchline where they regained possession in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

We should have. Boyle beat Boyata to the ball, poked it back into the middle of the pitch and was shoved over. To think that these refs earn a hell of a lot more per hour than the players on the pitch (including possibly even the majority of Celtic players as the refs are only part time) is ludicrous.

Sir David Gray
11-12-2017, 07:43 AM

I was right next to the incident in the east stand, I'm not too sure if it was a foul to be honest, I think the Celtic player was just stronger than Boyle.

patlowe
11-12-2017, 07:46 AM
I was right next to the incident in the east stand, I'm not too sure if it was a foul to be honest, I think the Celtic player was just stronger than Boyle.

I've not seen it back but that was my take on it at the time, seemed like Boyle was just off balance and outmuscled.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Obvious that Beaton shat his keks yesterday. Didn't want to be known by sectarian bores on the other side as the man who contributed to the ending of Celtic's 'unbeaton' domestic record.

Gatecrasher
11-12-2017, 07:57 AM
We were saying no wonder they are 67 games unbeaten when they get so many decisions their way. Boyata should have gone and did Brown ever get booked?

One Day
11-12-2017, 07:57 AM

It was a stonewall foul

jakedance
11-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Obvious that Beaton shat his keks yesterday. Didn't want to be known by sectarian bores on the other side as the man who contributed to the ending of Celtic's 'unbeaton' domestic record.

Exactly the way I saw it. It was obvious from the start he wasn’t going to give any brave (correct) decisions.

CentreLine
11-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Totally bottled the Boyata decision.

If they had gone down to 10 men for that last 5 minutes, considering how much we were on top of them at the end of the game, I think we would have had a great chance of winning the game.

The foul that should have seen him sent off was a clear booking, shocking from Beaton.

It may have been a foul but on tv viewing it was very soft. Dylan made it look a lot worse by his reaction. The referee ‘s job is not made any easier when players make every foul look like an execution. It was our man on this occasion I’m afraid

Frazerbob
11-12-2017, 10:16 AM
I've been watching Scottish football for 35+ years, we've always had poor refs. From Syme to Dallas to Bob Valentine and Brian McGinly. This current crop however are without doubt the worst. To a man they are shocking. Clancy on Wednesday is possibly the worst. How these guys get away with constantly missing key events and making the wrong calls on goals, penalties and cards is a joke. Bring back the Maltesers!

Geo_1875
11-12-2017, 10:43 AM
I've been watching Scottish football for 35+ years, we've always had poor refs. From Syme to Dallas to Bob Valentine and Brian McGinly. This current crop however are without doubt the worst. To a man they are shocking. Clancy on Wednesday is possibly the worst. How these guys get away with constantly missing key events and making the wrong calls on goals, penalties and cards is a joke. Bring back the Maltesers!

The referees do make bad decisions but at least they are making them.

Their assistants are worse than useless and rarely "assist" the referee.

Instead they wait until the referee blows or raises an arm then wave their flag in confirmation.

The clown on the West stand line yesterday was the latest in a long line of ineffectual fools who won't get involved when obvious foul play takes place under their nose.

They also guess the majority of offside decisions as they are rarely up with play.

LEaston87
11-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Wasnt sure if we were playing Glasgow Celtic of Boston Celtics wi the amount of handballs. Beaton is a 💩🏠

jonny
11-12-2017, 12:01 PM
I've not seen it back but that was my take on it at the time, seemed like Boyle was just off balance and outmuscled.

Looked to me to be more like an American football shoulder block than Boyle just being outmuscled.
The boy has taken a run at him and smashed into Boyle well before he's played the ball.
Shoulder tackles are all well and good but that was a foul.

11-12-2017, 12:11 PM
The referees do make bad decisions but at least they are making them.

Their assistants are worse than useless and rarely "assist" the referee.

Instead they wait until the referee blows or raises an arm then wave their flag in confirmation.

The clown on the West stand line yesterday was the latest in a long line of ineffectual fools who won't get involved when obvious foul play takes place under their nose.

They also guess the majority of offside decisions as they are rarely up with play.

This infuriates me. Something will happen in front of the Linesman and he will pause and look at the ref for guidance who is miles away before making the decision. It’s pathetic.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 12:23 PM
He went to book the fouler then realised it was Boyata and shat it, no question.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Don't think that he had a bad game, but Scott Brown showed him who was in charge. I don't get why he wouldn't put him straight. No complaints about Scott Brown.