PDA

View Full Version : Super John McGinn v Scott Brown.

marinello59
10-12-2017, 08:40 PM
What a fascinating battle that was between the two of them today, they were shoulder to shoulder for most of the game. I thought McGinn came out on top but it really was a joy to watch two warriors going at it like they did.

bingo70
10-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Could see there was a mutual respect the way they went for each other to shake each other’s hand after the game.

hibsboy69
10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Is one allowed to be honest on here ?!? :greengrin

McGinn was great...........thought Brown was even better though. He's still a terrific player.

murray26
10-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Great battle by two top players.. mcginn won✅

Pretty Boy
10-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Great battle today but thought Brown came out on top for the most part. He’s still a level above McGinn at the moment.

That’s no slight on McGinn who is most certainly capable of reaching that level. Given what Brown has down in the game that’s a huge compliment.

BigT-Hibeez
10-12-2017, 09:11 PM

McGinn was great...........thought Brown was even better though. He's still a terrific player.

I agree.. Brown was always there for a pass, and always seemed to have space and time on the ball to make a pass.. When they were battling for 50/50's McGinn was on top, but Brown used his experience and dropped back to avoid getting into it with SJM.. Clever

ian cruise
10-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Thought Brown won the first half but McGinn came in to his own in the second. There's not much between them.

overdrive
10-12-2017, 09:16 PM
We were saying at the game that, particularly in the first half, Celtic seemed to always have a spare man. Usually it was Brown. He came out on top but he gets one hell of a protection from referees.

yonder1875
10-12-2017, 09:18 PM
John McGinn was superb today, more than held his own against the best midfielder in the country. We're lucky to have him for the time being.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2017, 09:26 PM
John McGinn played very well today, and Scott Brown did very well too. Those who say Brown come out on top are forgetting where both players played.

Scott Brown is more of a defensive midfielder, where John plays a more attacking role, and we all know it is a lot easier to stop a player playing than it is to create.

Would love to have both. :greengrin

18Hibee75
10-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Super John was brilliant today, so was Scott Brown. Very tough to say who won it and I thought their battle added to the game and the competitiveness of it.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
10-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Cĺash of the titans: McGinn V's Brown

Easter Road Stadium

10th December 2017

Best of 12 rounds or knockout wins

Ref Scott Brown's mum.

BigT-Hibeez
10-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Cĺash of the titans: McGinn V's Brown

Easter Road Stadium

10th December 2017

Best of 12 rounds or knockout wins

Ref Scott Brown's mum.

Ha Ha

murray26
10-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Brown was in mcginns back pocket all game

cleanyman
10-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Brown's run at the end of the match sums him up

He is so underrated.

Even Celtic fans recognised how good Barry Ferguson was in his day but I don't think Brown gets the praise he deserves.

Great battle today and both players enjoyed it. Riveting to watch.

Firestarter
10-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Brown plays in a better side. Brown at Hibs was better than SJ is but I would argue isn't anymore. Scott Brown attacking at pace with the ball at his feet was the best midfielder I've seen in a Hibs jersey. The energy, the vision, the bite and the composure. He changed his game going to Celtic and fair play, he's a great player but he's still not what I expected when he was pinging top corners just coming through.

danhibees1875
10-12-2017, 11:42 PM
"his game is based on fouling, which he wouldn't get away with playing for us"

Unbelievably, that's the opinion of a Celtic fan about Mcginn... :faf:

Unseen work
11-12-2017, 01:45 AM
The first 15 minutes Mcginn was brilliant, winning tackles against brown (one which was bizarrely given as a foul), making him put the ball out of play and skinning him on multiple occasions.

Celtic and Brown then started dropping very deep to get on the ball and kind of killed Mginns ability to press as he couldn’t press that high alone

Last 20 minutes Mcginn came into it again and sent to Celtic players two hell for the first goal with his turn.

In no way was Brown better than Mcginn today.

Brown is a fantastic footballer and made a tremendous interception which stopped a tap in for stokes

Mcginn is also a brilliant player and set up a goal (a Brown og) and caused Celtic problems.

It was a good battle from 2 of Scotland’s best central midfielders.

sadtom
11-12-2017, 02:14 AM
I always considered Brown to have been the best of our 'golden generation'.
I'd have him back in a heartbeat and i always hope he retains an affection for out club.
People forget that only a couple of years after he joined celtc he had a last chance OP which if it hadn't been successful then his career would have been over.
In a way i think it ended up prolonging his career. His original all action, high energy, box to box style would have been really difficult to have maintained for so long.
I think Strachan and then Lennon should take a lot of credit for completely changing his game. It allowed him to become the player i think that (back in his Hibs days) most of us though Kevin Thomson was going to become. And fair play to Brown for adapting and playing so much more with his head than just his heart. He has proved himself to be a wonderful footballer and it should be a source of pride for us that he came through our ranks.

As for today i actually said to my laddies after an hour, that i thought brown had handled JMcG well. Though it had to be said that super J had an excellent last quarter of the game.
It was an terrific contest, two cracking players with great ability and commitment. If i'm being honest i though Brown edged the first 3/4rs and JMc had the best of the last 1/4.
Brown is still the better player (IMHO) and he has achieved this high level of performance for a much longer period of time. This is no slight on McGinn, who is certainly getting there and it is not impossible that he may go on to to surpass SB which would be no mean feat.

Steve20
11-12-2017, 02:54 AM
Brown's run at the end of the match sums him up

He is so underrated.

Even Celtic fans recognised how good Barry Ferguson was in his day but I don't think Brown gets the praise he deserves.

Great battle today and both players enjoyed it. Riveting to watch.

He’s really not underrated. The Scottish media won’t hear a word against him and refs seem to let him do what he wants. I’d say he’s very much overrated. Decent player but no more than that.

McGinn was better than him yesterday.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2017, 06:38 AM
He’s really not underrated. The Scottish media won’t hear a word against him and refs seem to let him do what he wants. I’d say he’s very much overrated. Decent player but no more than that.

McGinn was better than him yesterday.

In Scotland he's been the best midfielder over a number of years, a fantastic servant to two clubs. He's a player EVERY team in the country would love, and we were lucky enough to produce him and enjoy him for a short spell.

He also was part of the team Mowbray made and Collins led to a cup win.

He has a ruthless streak, a will to win that i wish all our players had, but you can only get so far with that, you also need to be able to play a bit too, and he can.

McGinn is in that mould, and perhaps could be as good maybe even better, only time will tell.

Roxyhibee
11-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Different types of players with different roles in the team but both agressive winners. McGinn is spot on to look at Brown as a role model.

I remember a young Hibs Scott Brown battling with Celtics Neil Lennon and the same type of 'apprentice' situation being discussed with them.

However McGinn shaded it for me yesterday on a one on one. Brown has better players around him and has more on offer when he's in a tight situation. SJM has to be far more inventive and clever, as he was, especially in the second half. Brown looked uncomfortable when McGinn was tangling with him.

Jim44
11-12-2017, 08:44 AM
I don’t think there’s a lot between them. Brown probably has the edge on McGinn in terms of grit, determination and aggression (controlled but not always and he gets away with it ) but McGinn is, for me, a better natural footballer in terms of skill, vision and comfort on the ball.

CockneyRebel
11-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Brown was in mcginns back pocket all game

This must be a wind up - I thought Brown was MOTM. I love SJM but Brown pretty much orchestrated the whole game for Celtic, he was everywhere, tidying up, scrapping and starting off attacks as well as making last ditch tackles and clearances. Yes he does get away with too many fouls but he is an excellent player that all Scottish clubs would die for, including Hibs.

Jones28
11-12-2017, 09:13 AM
"his game is based on fouling, which he wouldn't get away with playing for us"

Unbelievably, that's the opinion of a Celtic fan about Mcginn... :faf:

They aren't big on irony on the west coast are they?

anon1875
11-12-2017, 09:35 AM
It reminded me of Brown v Lennon almost. Really good battle to watch. No doubt Brown is still a cut above but I thought McGinn gave a good account of himself.

LEaston87
11-12-2017, 09:54 AM
scott brown is dugmeat. He gets so much time on tha ball because the rest of team are head and shoulders above any other team in Scotland. He gets found out at a decent level. At 2-0 up he was doing stepovers when he wasnt even near a hibs player. Mcginn is 10x the player brown is

Nevi_SOL
11-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Thought Brown won the first half but McGinn came in to his own in the second. There's not much between them.

I’d agree with this. But in all honesty it was just great too watch

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2017, 10:01 AM
scott brown is dugmeat. He gets so much time on tha ball because the rest of team are head and shoulders above any other team in Scotland. He gets found out at a decent level. At 2-0 up he was doing stepovers when he wasnt even near a hibs player. Mcginn is 10x the player brown is
Just a little bias. If Brown gets found out at a decent level McGinn would get killed.

Nevi_SOL
11-12-2017, 10:01 AM

I think you undermine yourself there. You have to be a good player to create more time on the ball for yourself by making yourself in the position to look up and look for your next pass

hibbyfraelibby
11-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Broonie is the master, McGinn is the Grasshoper. Yesterday the next generation proved he has what it takes to replace Brown in the Scotland set up. Expect a bid from Celtic soon as they do their succession planning.

LEaston87
11-12-2017, 10:13 AM
I think you undermine yourself there. You have to be a good player to create more time on the ball for yourself by making yourself in the position to look up and look for your next pass

It's a lot easier to find space for yourself when the other team are paggered and cant get anywhere near the ball.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Just a little bias. If Brown gets found out at a decent level McGinn would get killed.

Such as International level against a country who have qualified for the WC? :confused:

GlesgaeHibby
11-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Broonie is the master, McGinn is the Grasshoper. Yesterday the next generation proved he has what it takes to replace Brown in the Scotland set up. Expect a bid from Celtic soon as they do their succession planning.

I have no doubt that Celtic view McGinn as the long term replacement for Scott Brown.

The battle between the two of them yesterday was cracking to watch, they both played very well with Brown just shading it IMO.

hibsforeurope
11-12-2017, 11:40 AM
It reminded me of Brown v Lennon almost. Really good battle to watch. No doubt Brown is still a cut above but I thought McGinn gave a good account of himself.

This was my thoughts too, very much like Brown v Lennon in a match at Easter Road (can't quite remember which one though). The master v the apprentice.

Ringothedog
11-12-2017, 11:57 AM
according to the fandan that is Brendan Rogers it was a no contest and Broony won it easily.

RamYer1902
11-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Rodgers talking *****. All he wants to do is decrease McGinn's value cause he'll be all over him soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyStokeprano
11-12-2017, 12:03 PM

what hes saying is brown walks about like pirlo against hamilton partick etc,then when he plays for scotland hes murder and in europe for celtic against even say a polish or cypriot side he'l barely touch the ball and certainly never controls a game like our pundits would have you believe.

mjh
11-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Brown is the past SJM is the future

Shrekko
11-12-2017, 12:23 PM

MOTM in his first 2 Scotland starts against Denmark and Holland.

I thought Brown edged it yesterday but he had far better players around him and more space.

McGinn is every bit as good as Brown was at 22/23 and possibly better.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2017, 12:55 PM
MOTM in his first 2 Scotland starts against Denmark and Holland.

I thought Brown edged it yesterday but he had far better players around him and more space.

McGinn is every bit as good as Brown was at 22/23 and possibly better.

Such as International level against a country who have qualified for the WC? :confused:

MOTM in 2 friendlies. Its laughable to suggest Brown would get found out and McGinn wouldn't. Come on guys, be real here.

andybev1
11-12-2017, 01:03 PM

If you check the replay on hibs tv McGinn wins that duel hands down. Brown fowls his way through the game

Shrekko
11-12-2017, 01:12 PM
MOTM in 2 friendlies. Its laughable to suggest Brown would get found out and McGinn wouldn't. Come on guys, be real here.

Has anyone said that?

When SJM has stepped up a level he’s coped easily. Maybe his 2 goals at Parkhead were another good example of that?

Both players can easily cope at a better level than SPL.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 01:21 PM

I didn't say that mate. It was said if Brown was found out then how would McGinn cope at that level. So far, so good at that level. Anything but "killed"

speedy_gonzales
11-12-2017, 03:03 PM
If you check the replay on hibs tv McGinn wins that duel hands down. Brown fowls his way through the game
Aye, he ducked out a few challenges,,,,

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2017, 03:07 PM
I didn't say that mate. It was said if Brown was found out then how would McGinn cope at that level. So far, so good at that level. Anything but "killed"Big difference between Holland in a friendly and Barcelona in a Champions league game.

Currently Brown is more experienced, better player than McGinn. Odious twat though, should get booed off the park every time he comes to Easter Road.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Big difference between Holland in a friendly and Barcelona in a Champions league game.

Currently Brown is more experienced, better player than McGinn. Odious twat though, should get booed off the park every time he comes to Easter Road.

True. :agree:

Onion
11-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Hibs, including McGinn, were expending huge amounts of energy from the first min, closing down an excellent Celtic team. Brown spent the first 60 mins strolling around in front of his back 4. The fact McGinn STILL managed to compete effectively with Brown says it all... and why Rogers is slavering and will be on the phone to Hibs in January.

For me, yesterday confirmed that SJM is more than capable to replacing Brown and that Celtic simply cannot afford for SJM to go to the Rangers.

majorhibs
11-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Hibs, including McGinn, were expending huge amounts of energy from the first min, closing down an excellent Celtic team. Brown spent the first 60 mins strolling around in front of his back 4. The fact McGinn STILL managed to compete effectively with Brown says it all... and why Rogers is slavering and will be on the phone to Hibs in January.

For me, yesterday confirmed that SJM is more than capable to replacing Brown and that Celtic simply cannot afford for SJM to go to the Rangers.

Exactly how I saw it as well.

weecounty hibby
11-12-2017, 07:54 PM
I thought super john had a great game. Lots of ability, hard work and endeavour. Scott brown only sprinted twice in the entire 90. Once to prevent a sure goal for Stokes and once in the last couple of minutes to set up a great chance for Sinclair. Brown was superb and so was McGinn. Great to watch and if you had watched them at the end they had huge respect for each other. Rogers is a classless fanny.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2017, 07:56 PM
I thought super john had a great game. Lots of ability, hard work and endeavour. Scott brown only sprinted twice in the entire 90. Once to prevent a sure goal for Stokes and once in the last couple of minutes to set up a great chance for Sinclair. Brown was superb and so was McGinn. Great to watch and if you had watched them at the end they had huge respect for each other. Rogers is a classless fanny.
Think Rodgers is feeling the pressure at last. Had a go at a reporter today, when asked about Leigh not playing

Finn2015
11-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Thought McGinn showed up well tbh. Don’t know what Rodgers was watching

Tollhouse Hibee
12-12-2017, 06:39 AM
I thought tactically Lenny got it spot on, using John McGinn to man mark Brown. he stuck to his task really well, and it was no surprise how deep brown had to drop to get the ball, and it also showed that once McGinn went into attack mode, thats where it left Brown free to cause chaos.

It was also very interesting the tactic to use Boyle to keep Tierney out the game, and Barker on Lustig. Barker tho suffered severely from not being able to get forward.

Phil MaGlass
12-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Love Broonie. Great player. McGinn future Scotland captain was all over him. Wis a joy tae watch. If we thought we were goin tae keep hold of him in January we need tae think again. He will be gone tae england firra big wad o cash.

HoboHarry
12-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Aye, he ducked out a few challenges,,,,
That's this thread goosed.......