PDA

View Full Version : Historians - a query

Viva_Palmeiras
10-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Although Conan Doyle I think didn’t spend all his life in Embra is there any indication heritage apart that he was a Hibee??

CropleyWasGod
10-12-2017, 07:57 PM
He liked his fitba. Played in goals for Portsmouth amateurs.

But, as you say, left Embra at a young age. Can't see any obvious signs of him being one of us.

He was into spiritualism.... so ask him yourself. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
He wore green tweed that'll do for me :thumbsup:

Jack Hackett
10-12-2017, 08:01 PM

But, as you say, left Embra at a young age. Can't see any obvious signs of him being one of us.

:faf:

Viva_Palmeiras
10-12-2017, 08:09 PM

More into a beer and wine myself ;)

vincipernoi
10-12-2017, 08:09 PM
he would have been about 16 when hibs were formed and was educated at Stonyhurst in Lancashire

he was from an irish catholic family, although later became agnostic / spiritualist hence the ADC centre on palmerston street)

born in Picardy place at the hibs end of town

he trained at Edinburgh medical school 1876 onwards but the school wasn't at Teviot then

he namechecks lauriston in a study in scarlet, his first Sherlock story

he liked football and played to a decent level

don't know if there is documentation linking him to hibs but he certainly wouldn't have been a jambo

Viva_Palmeiras
10-12-2017, 08:11 PM
he would have been about 16 when hibs were formed and was educated at Stonyhurst in Lancashire

he was from an irish catholic family, although later became agnostic / spiritualist hence the ADC centre on palmerston street)

he trained at Edinburgh medical school 1876 onwards but the school wasn't at Teviot then

don't know if there is documentation linking him to hibs but he certainly wouldn't have been a jambo

That’s more like it ! Thanks folks everyday a school day.

greenlex
10-12-2017, 08:28 PM
I’m sure I’ve seen him wearing a Hibs scarf after a few finals. Hope that helps.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Must have been a Hibby ... its elementary :greengrin

John_R_Corbett
10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
I’m sure I’ve seen him wearing a Hibs scarf after a few finals. Hope that helps.Don't know about Conan Doyle, but Sherlock Holmes was definitely a Hibby, I saw him in 1991 dressed like this :greengrin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY0jfk1IUAAmWzp.jpg

G B Young
10-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Conan Doyle and Robert Louis Stevenson were Hibs fans. Sir Walter Scott, a far more establishment character, was a yam. I read that somewhere but it might not be true 😉

Bostonhibby
10-12-2017, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=John_R_Corbett;5242707]Don't know about Conan Doyle, but Sherlock Holmes was definitely a Hibby, I saw him in 1991 dressed like this :greengrin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY0jfk1IUAAmWzp.jpg[/QUO

Still a Hibby at 9 a.m on Sunday 22nd May 2016:greengrin

Peevemor
10-12-2017, 08:49 PM

What? Is it a place for dyslexics?

Bostonhibby
10-12-2017, 08:50 PM
according to this he played in goals for Portsmouth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10561577/Arthur-Conan-Doyle-19-things-you-didnt-know.html

The Harp
10-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Conan Doyle was baptised in St Mary's RC Cathedral in 1859. His father, Charles, was of Irish Catholic descent and his mother, Mary, was an Irish Catholic. I imagine if he'd remained in Edinburgh long enough he'd have been a Hibee (certainly not a Yam anyway).

Hibrandenburg
10-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Once you've eliminated all other teams in Edinburgh because they're *****, that team that remains, regardless of how improbable must be the Hibees.

snooky
10-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Hibbie he was. My spirit guide told me tonight. They just call him Doyler up there, by the way.

vincipernoi
10-12-2017, 09:25 PM
ACD lived for a while at Lonsdale terrace at the west end of the meadows and also at the east end of George square

I think there is a plaque on the wall in George square and Lonsdale terrace

there is an adjacent address - 22b George square, which may be the origin of 221b baker street, his fictitious address in London

apparently baskervilles hall, as described, is a dead ringer for stonyhurst

walter scott may have coined the jambo's name but died decades before even they would 'claim' they were 'formed' i.e. 1874

the stevensons lived in Heriot row - in the hibs side of town

hibbyfraelibby
11-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Maybes he was a St. Bernards fan? Stevenson that is as their ground was just off Eyre Place.

Iain G
11-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Although Conan Doyle I think didn’t spend all his life in Embra is there any indication heritage apart that he was a Hibee??

There is a Sherlock Holmes short story collection that surfaced a few years back that kinda confirmed it, included in the story titles were the following:

The Case of the Missing Defender at Dens
The Mystery of the Disappearing Submariner
The Invigorating Tale of the Famous Five
The Interesting Mystery of Joseph Tortolano
The Unseen Work of Brian from Hamilton
The Adventure of the Forgotten Seats
The Frenchman's Missing Teeth
The Adventure of Queen Anne's Jacket
The Henderson Delivery
The Adventure of the Six Pack
The Positioning of Mathias Jack

Joe6-2
11-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Really shouldn’t laugh, but I did

Joe6-2
11-12-2017, 08:31 AM
There is a Sherlock Holmes short story collection that surfaced a few years back that kinda confirmed it, included in the story titles were the following:

The Case of the Missing Defender at Dens
The Mystery of the Disappearing Submariner
The Invigorating Tale of the Famous Five
The Interesting Mystery of Joseph Tortolano
The Unseen Work of Brian from Hamilton
The Adventure of the Forgotten Seats
The Frenchman's Missing Teeth
The Adventure of Queen Anne's Jacket
The Henderson Delivery
The Adventure of the Six Pack
The Positioning of Mathias Jack

😂😂😂😂 Brilliant

vincipernoi
11-12-2017, 11:32 AM

:) I think I need to get a bigger keyboard

Isaac_Refvik
11-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Stonyhurst Elementary, I presume?