PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

Jim44
10-12-2017, 07:19 PM
He has to get a mention in dispatches for his fantastic pass to Stevenson at our second goal. He gets a fair amount of flak but he has a great football brain and I’m delighted his recent ‘fall from grace’ seems to be behind him. His contribution will be invaluable against Sevco and Aberdeen.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Stokes is more effective when he has a fellow striker nearer to him. When he's the central lone striker between two wide players he struggles a little. Taking today as an example I thought he offered a different proposition when Ollie came on to partner him upfront late on in the game. If we are going to play a forward line of Boyle, Barker and one central striker then I think Simon Murray is a better option. I like Stokesy but we have to play to his strengths if hes in the team. A difficult job today though as we were under the cosh for long periods of the game and both Boyle and Barker spent alot of time having to track back, which they both did very well but it left Stokesy isolated upfront.

The_Horde
10-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Stevo also deserves credit for his involvement today. Thought he was superb throughout and he was good in the final 3rd too.

10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Stokes was getting pelters from some morons around me today. Still not quite sure why.

lord bunberry
10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Stokes is more effective when he has a fellow striker nearer to him. When he's the central lone striker between two wide players he struggles a little. Taking today as an example I thought he offered a different proposition when Ollie came on to partner him upfront late on in the game. If we are going to play a forward line of Boyle, Barker and one central striker then I think Simon Murray is a better option. I like Stokesy but we have to play to his strengths if hes in the team. A difficult job today though as we were under the cosh for long periods of the game and both Boyle and Barker spent alot of time having to track back, which they both did very well but it left Stokesy isolated upfront.
He was completely ineffective until Shaw came on. Up until their second goal we were never a threat. That wasn’t Stokes fault, but it shows we’re better playing with 2 strikers.

Lago
10-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Stokes was getting pelters from some morons around me today. Still not quite sure why.

Some folk will never take to him, probably because some of his stuff is clever and not appreciate.

Penicuik Hibee
10-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Spot on. It was the same in the semi final.. Never a lone striker but def an intelligent player when he has someone to do the hard graft around him

nellio
10-12-2017, 07:38 PM
I think stokes is better a wee bit deeper. Like behind the striker or out wide. Does ok up top on his own but is better deeper.

Stuart93
10-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Stokes is a lot better when he plays as a number 10

easty
10-12-2017, 07:48 PM
I thought Stokes was good today, even when he was up central on his own, he won quite a few headers against thier centre halfs but the wide players obv didn't expect him to so hadn't gambled on the flick on. Some clever play from him today.

He was getting some stick around me, for not chasing the ball down more it seemed...2 defenders and Brown there most of the time...I really dinnae know what some folk think Stokes running himself into the ground and having the ball passed round him was going to achieve? Wouldn't matter who the lone striker was, would have been a pointless task.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2017, 07:51 PM
4-5-1 can't include Stokes and work. Good shift from him today.

BegbieHSC
10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Once Shaw came on, it was between Stokesy and McGinn on who was the best player on the park.

The guy gets flack, but under the right system and formation, he's probably our most skilled player.

Take a bow, Sir Anthony! Now slay some huns on Wednesday!

lyonhibs
10-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Did a good job today, but even Stevie Wonder could tell he's better as 1 of a 2. And the other 1 shouldn't just be expected to take over all the graft of chasing down etc.

Bugs me that his first touch is often sideways/backwards when it seems as easy to get things moving forward ASAP but that's nitpicking.

Mr White
10-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Once Shaw came on, it was between Stokesy and McGinn on who was the best player on the park.

The guy gets flack, but under the right system and formation, he's probably our most skilled player.

Take a bow, Sir Anthony! Now slay some huns on Wednesday!

Probably not an honour he'd accept that one :greengrin

Topographic Hibby
10-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Think he will enjoy the next opposition from Weeg rather than today’s. Seem to remember him having a very good game against them once before......:not worth

random sub
10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Wasn't an easy gig today but I thought he did well and some of his link up play in the last 15 minutes was sublime, including the pass before the second goal

wookie70
10-12-2017, 08:54 PM
I thought he looked totally disinterested and was completely ineffectual until Shaw came on. Closing down players is a chore to him and if we are going 1 up top for me it has to be Murray. When Shaw came on he drifted into great spaces, possibly made the pass of the season to Stevenson for our second and looked every bit the player we all know he can be. He frustrates the life out of me when he is up top on his own but to be honest it is really Lennon that I am annoyed with for putting him in that position.

Murray may not have the quality that Stokes has but the way we set up pretty much ensured our lone striker would hardly see the ball and Murray would have at least put pressure on the Celtc centre halves.

Big L
10-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Stokes can't play up front on his own, plays his best stuff when he plays the left channel.

Tyler Durden
10-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Thought he was really poor for 70 mins. I can accept he won't be chasing about putting in the type of shift we'd see from Murray. But his general play and ball control wasn't up to scratch either and when you're the underdog his attitude is never particularly helpful.

Celtics first goal came from Stokes failing to hold up a simple chest control and giving it away.

His pass to Lewis for our second goal shows the quality we all know he possesses though. Frustrating player for me, but then if he could play to his potential consistently he wouldn't be back with us!

Swedish hibee
10-12-2017, 09:29 PM
My opinion was he was poor today. Would have liked to have seen Murray start today.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2017, 09:36 PM
I've been critical of him this season, but today was a very hard shift for him and I think he did his best, the lone striker role just isn't his game and he struggles in it. He was better when Shaw came on and its pretty clear he needs a partner to be effective.

FifeHibs
10-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Some of the comments in the east stand are embarrassing regarding criticism of Stokes.

Tyler Durden
10-12-2017, 09:41 PM
People criticise Stokes at the game because his body language is terrible and he acts quite petulantly bordering on disrespect for his teammates.

He's quick to criticise other players but when he makes a mistake, he'll still act like it's another player's fault. It's easy to forgive when he plays well and brings his quality (like in the game vs Dundee) but if he's not contributing much it's easy to see why people get annoyed with him.

Especially compared to the work rate of Murray, which fans appreciate, rightly or wrongly

madhibee_again
10-12-2017, 09:55 PM

You weren’t in the Famous Five were you? Old guy along for me hates Stokes to the extent when Stokes got caught on the foot the old guy shouted “Hope you’re hurt!”.

You’ve got to wonder about some folk. Old guys the same week in week out to be honest.

Northernhibee
10-12-2017, 09:56 PM
At best, jury is still out. Not doubting that he lifts himself for big games but that's not enough. I want someone in a Hibs shirt that does that every game and even if they fall short I want to be safe in the knowledge that they've done their best and it's not worked out.

He's got undoubted ability but once the next big games are over he needs to continue with the graft.

10-12-2017, 09:57 PM
You weren’t in the Famous Five were you? Old guy along for me hates Stokes to the extent when Stokes got caught on the foot the old guy shouted “Hope you’re hurt!”.

You’ve got to wonder about some folk. Old guys the same week in week out to be honest.

Nah I’m in the east.

hhibs
10-12-2017, 10:05 PM
He was completely ineffective until Shaw came on. Up until their second goal we were never a threat. That wasn’t Stokes fault, but it shows we’re better playing with 2 strikers.

That is also how I see it however ,NL seems not to see it.

Tyler Durden
10-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Or we're better with Simon Murray up top on his own.

danhibees1875
10-12-2017, 10:46 PM
I thought Stokes done well today. Even in the first, we were totally up against it and finding it hard to get into the game at all - but there were 2 long pints to Stokes that he had no right to win and won both. One of them he managed to bring down, turn, and run at their defence before passing to Boyle.

I think he vindicated Lennon's decision to start him and he'll have more success against rangers and Aberdeen this week.

Northernhibee
10-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I thought Stokes done well today. Even in the first, we were totally up against it and finding it hard to get into the game at all - but there were 2 long pints to Stokes that he had no right to win and won both. One of them he managed to bring down, turn, and run at their defence before passing to Boyle.

I think he vindicated Lennon's decision to start him and he'll have more success against rangers and Aberdeen this week.

Unfortunate, if fitting, typo :greengrin

murray26
10-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Still searching for his very best but his ball to Lewis that lead to the goal was what we pay the wages for.. different class

ancient hibee
10-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Agree with this.The majority of Celtic’s “dominance”was in their own half passing the ball around to no purpose.Stokes would have been daft running himself into the ground for no reason.Instead he was able to be one of those most responsible for drawing the game.Isn’t that what matters most?

danhibees1875
10-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Unfortunate, if fitting, typo :greengrin

Oops :greengrin

:cheers:

Borderhibbie76
10-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Some of the comments in the east stand are embarrassing regarding criticism of Stokes.100% this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
11-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Stokes was getting pelters from some morons around me today. Still not quite sure why.Because they are morons?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
11-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Because they are morons?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Some people just feed off being negative. Hibs is probably their life but they spend 90 minutes each week/other week moaning incessantly about anything to do with Hibs. Of course in their own eyes they are never pessimistic or negative, just realists. Each to their own I guess.

Smartie
11-12-2017, 12:48 AM
Stokes did well today.

The first half was an almost impossible task but he stuck to it and under the circumstances did very well.

His wee pass for the goal was the bit of inspiration we were looking for.

Stokes to me looks like he might have lost a yard of pace though, he doesn't look as sharp right now as he has in the past. I don't know if he's carrying a bit of weight or an injury, but he's not managing to beat people, drop the shoulder or get the ball onto his right foot the way he did in the past.

Unseen work
11-12-2017, 02:47 AM
Disappointed with his first 70 minutes today and then he was very good.

The only issue with him is where does he play?

He can’t play lone striker as he comes far too deep to get on the ball leaving us with no one up top.

If he plays number 10 that means Mcginn, Mcgeouch or Bartley has to drop out?

Left wing? No convinced by him playing there now as I like the pace and outlet Barker gives us, he also does a shift defensively