PDA

View Full Version : John Mcginn

hhibs
10-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Having a discussion with a St. Mirren supporting mate on John.

Anybody actually know what we paid St.Mirren as a transfer or development fee?
I know there is a great debate about the sell on clause and nobody actually seems to know that part of the deal but I do know we paid decent money too.

Thanks for any of you who are in a position to reply.

:flag::flag::flag:

danhibees1875
10-12-2017, 05:38 PM
The 2015 accounts showed £198k additions made to our intangible assets figure - these would have been the contracts for players bought being added at cost I think. Not sure who else we bought that year - but I'm sure I was told John Mcginn made up the bulk of that.

Franck Stanton
10-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Sure I read that it was £100,000 up front with a 33 % sell on clause.

green with envy
10-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Just had a message from me auldest laddie to say that he's popped into the Harp & Castle. Class act!

givescotlandfreedom
10-12-2017, 06:08 PM
I remember St Mirren praised Hibs at the time for the way we went about it so can only assume it was a decent amount.

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2017, 06:09 PM
As good a performance as he’s had in a Hibs jersey today. Outstanding.

Future17
10-12-2017, 06:41 PM

I thought he played well without being outstanding. Had an improved last 15 along with most of the team.

I didn't think it was anywhere close to his best but he's set high standards.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 06:50 PM
I thought he had a great game today, I thought the battle he had with Brown was immense. he more than held his own, you have to take into consideration what he was up against. Dominating midfield against Celtic is a different proposition than dominating it against Dumbarton and such like. ....... considering some of our games against Dumbarton recently thats probably a bad choice but you get my drift.

sauzee6_2
10-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Actually thought he was poor today - the last 20 mins he was brilliant, but the previous 70, Scott Brown gave him a lesson.

Brown dropped deeper taking McGinn out of the game (not McGinns fault but Rogers tactical ability).

On the whole the score line reflects the midfield battle....a score draw.

I wish the best for McGinn, however he needs to be a stand out in games like today.

Since90+2
10-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Actually thought he was poor today - the last 20 mins he was brilliant, but the previous 70, Scott Brown gave him a lesson.

Brown dropped deeper taking McGinn out of the game (not McGinns fault but Rogers tactical ability).

I wish the best for McGinn, however he needs to be a stand out in games like today.

McGinn was poor today? :faf:

hibbysam
10-12-2017, 07:16 PM

I’ll hope you were in the FF and the excuse of having the sun in your eyes. If fouling someone for 90 minutes is a tactical masterclass then Brown was brilliant, for me McGinn’s harrying and passing ability first half, and his drive and determination second half as well as his corner for the opener made him a standout.

Stewboy
10-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Yeah he was poor. Apart from marking the Scotland captain out the game and stopping him playing that is

DarlingtonHibee
10-12-2017, 07:18 PM

What!!!

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2017, 07:21 PM

Agreed.

Capt Mainwaring
10-12-2017, 07:23 PM

Seriously fella time you had an eye test! Great battle with Brown first to last. Two outstanding players going toe to toe. McGinn got MoM from Sky coverage today - fair shout in my view 👍

lyonhibs
Made a few poor decisions when in possession but also plenty of right ones. Brown will know he's been in a game which is very often not the case in the league as teams **** their pants and stand off him

inglisavhibs

That's just absolute rubbish. So Brown has to in to the Celtic back four to get possession and you think thats great. When Brown had to compete man for man with McGinn in midfield he was second best. What didn't help in midfield was both Bartley and McGeoch found it hard going against excellent Celtic players.

Since90+2
If that's him playing poorly then he must be the best player in Scotland by a country mile when he plays well.

He was given MOTM by Sky I believe.

Judge-Judy
10-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Yup. he had the old Broonie in his pocket most of the match.

mjhibby
10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Sure I read that it was £100,000 up front with a 33 % sell on clause.

Still doubt this is correct. Probably 33% up to a certain figure, then maybe something like 15%. We will not know till he eventually goes. Hope he signs a new contract and goes to someone like Burnley where he will thrive and not go west. After today I'm sure Rodgers wouldn't have missed his battle with brown. I'm sure if celtic want him they will pay a very large fee to secure him without any hassle plus there are one or two players at parkhead who might go the other way.

Arch Stanton
10-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Difficult to stand out against spoilers like Brown but I think but he effectively neutralised Celtic's dominating playmaker.

Against Holland McGinn looked like a class player whereas Brown has never looked much above workmanlike playing for Scotland.

mjhibby
10-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Btw still think Dylan is a better player but his injury niggles stop him going to the top. He is perfect for us and we're ideal for him. Doubt sjm will go in January but should be very interesting to see who we bring in.

Hiber-nation
10-12-2017, 07:43 PM

Right up there with some of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here.

Babyshamble
10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
You cant say a bad word about mcginn on here.you'll get roasted.thought he was average at best.bring on boo boys

DarlingtonHibee
10-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Average, away back to Jkb

inglisavhibs
10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
You cant say a bad word about mcginn on here.you'll get roasted.thought he was average at best.bring on boo boys
Perhaps you will realize how influential John McGinn is when he is not with us.

Babyshamble
10-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Average, away back to Jkb

Ok will do.you ****ing ********.sorry for having an opinion

hibbysam
10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Perhaps you will realize how influential John McGinn is when he is not with us.

Like last week. Struggled in the middle of the park without him. Him Ambrose and Boyle were outstanding today against the best team in the country but yeah he was average right enough.

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Right up there with some of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here.

How? He’s not saying anything bad about McGinn, he even said he was brilliant for the last 20 mins.

Not may folk were singing his praises at half time, or the rest of the team for that matter, check out the match day thread.

It was a cracking midfield battle but for most of the game Celtic won it. If McGinn is to reach his potential he needs to be the stand out player, he wasn’t today.

Look, we all love McGinn but there’s nothing wrong if we don’t all worship his every move!

Judge-Judy
10-12-2017, 07:54 PM

I would love to see that kind of average performance from every Hibs player week in week out. I don't know what you're basing your performance levels on but it's certainly not a Scottish Premiership standard.

hibbysam
10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
How? He’s not saying anything bad about McGinn, he even said he was brilliant for the last 20 mins.

Not may folk were singing his praises at half time, or the rest of the team for that matter, check out the match day thread.

It was a cracking midfield battle but for most of the game Celtic won it. If McGinn is to reach his potential he needs to be the stand out player, he wasn’t today.

Look, we all love McGinn but there’s nothing wrong if we don’t all worship his every move!

Considering I got home to three separate messages from Sellick fans saying McGinn was a standout and a class above then I’d say he stood out.

jakedance
10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Staggering that anyone would say McGinn was poor today. I thought his battle with Scott Brown was fascinating and neither really got the upper hand.

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-12-2017, 08:02 PM
He was part of the reason we came back into it. His drive and determination to win the bell back was exemplary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albanian Hibs
10-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Ok will do.you ****ing ********.sorry for having an opinion

Your opinion is nonsense. How can anyone say Super John McGinn had a poor game today??

inglisavhibs
10-12-2017, 08:03 PM

We don't but your comments don't make sense. McGinn played well in the first half, it was Bartley and McGeoch who struggled (understandably against excellent opponents). Overall i cant remember a positive contribution from Brown but I can from McGinn. Just wait till we don't have him.

Libby Hibby
10-12-2017, 08:04 PM
McGinn was excellent today, behind only Efe for MOM.

Given a specific task today and succeeded. Scott Brown was not allowed to play.

Hiber-nation

The poster said McGinn was poor today. To me that is really stupid.

sauzee6_2

Thank you - it seems as though having an opinion on a message board is against the law at times!!

Take today’s performance on face value, Brown outplayed McGinn for 70 mins, then McGinn started to get the upper hand...however there were numerous times McGinn was played out of the game by Brown.

It’s not a negative (despite the heinous crime of criticising SJM on Hibs.net!), just take off your green tinted glasses and accept a constructive criticism!

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Considering I got home to three separate messages from Sellick fans saying McGinn was a standout and a class above then I’d say he stood out.

I watched the game with 4 Celtic fans (and oddly a Rangers fan) and all made comments about the epic battle between McGinn and Brown. I thought it was a great battle.

I got told to pipe down a bit from the Pub Manager after we equalised....... not a chance of it.

Since90+2
10-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Thank you - it seems as though having an opinion on a message board is against the law at times!!

Take today’s performance on face value, Brown outplayed McGinn for 70 mins, then McGinn started to get the upper hand...however there were numerous times McGinn was played out of the game by Brown.

It’s not a negative (despite the heinous crime of criticising SJM on Hibs.net!), just take off your green tinted glasses and accept a constructive criticism!

As you say everyone is entitled to their opinion and that includes opinions on posts (yours included).

To put some context on your post Lennon thought he was outstanding today and he was awarded MOTM by the Sky commentary team (as far as I know Sky don't wear green tinted glasses , atleast not the Leith tint of green).

Babyshamble
10-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Not once did I say he was poor.I said imo he was average today.jist my opinion.hes a class act,& a player we will miss when he eventually leaves.don't mean to wind anybody up.LETS MOVE ON TO WEDNESDAY & BEAT THE HUNS 👍

patlowe
10-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Brown controlled a lot of the game but McGinn gave him problems and had his moments before really dominating the last 20.

I don't think it's outrageous to suggest McGinn has things to improve on (his set piece delivery in particular was poor until the short corner for the goal) but I also agree with a previous poster that suggested we perhaps judge SJM against unrealistically high standards. He really has been an outstanding signing, one of the most significant in our recent history you'd have to argue.

sauzee6_2
10-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Brown controlled a lot of the game but McGinn gave him problems and had his moments before really dominating the last 20.

I don't think it's outrageous to suggest McGinn has things to improve on (his set piece delivery in particular was poor until the short corner for the goal) but I also agree with a previous poster that suggested we perhaps judge SJM against unrealistically high standards. He really has been an outstanding signing, one of the most significant in our recent history you'd have to argue.

Sshhhh don’t say that you will be ostracised on here!!

Aldo
10-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Sshhhh don’t say that you will be ostracised on here!!

Is there any need tbh! Comments like this will get folks backs up when there really isn't any need! You've made your point as have others about his performance. Let's leave it rather than stir the hornets nest!

sauzee6_2
10-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Is there any need tbh! Comments like this will get folks backs up when there really isn't any need! You've made your point as have others about his performance. Let's leave it rather than stir the hornets nest!

Sorry Aldo, I take your point, but to receive criticism as I have on this thread I feel entitled to fight my corner.

Aldo
10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Sorry Aldo, I take your point, but to receive criticism as I have on this thread I feel entitled to fight my corner.

You've nowt to be sorry about but there's fighting your corner and leaving yourself open to criticism. Pretty fickle place at times but in time you'll become hardened to it.

If your not happy with a poster either ignore them or report it.

Try and enjoy it

sauzee6_2
10-12-2017, 08:32 PM
You've nowt to be sorry about but there's fighting your corner and leaving yourself open to criticism. Pretty fickle place at times but in time you'll become hardened to it.

If your not happy with a poster either ignore them or report it.

Try and enjoy it

Thanks Aldo, trust me I have a thick skin!

Just don’t like it on here that having an opinion that differs from others means you are wrong.

Aldo
10-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks Aldi, trust me I have a thick skin! Just don’t like it in here when having an opinion on here that differs from others means you are wrong.

You'll need it as there will be many more times I would suspect

truehibernian
10-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Thought SJM did really well today and also think he had to contend with Dylan appearing unfit midway through the first half - noticed DM wincing and indicating to the bench that his groin was playing up again. Certainly there were a few challenges where he wasn't fully committed and I thought he was running impaired second half when (valiantly) tracking back. The work that SJM put in today was immense.

Thought big Ofir was excellent today :aok: Looked sharp off his line, stood tall, pulled off two goal saving stops, distribution with his feet was great.

Showed them far too much respect for long spells today but cracking last 20 minutes and can't fault the effort and work rate - top notch. But we must improve free kicks and and deliveries from corners when playing them into the box.

We won't come up against such a mobile and slick unit as Celtic at all this season so a point from 0-2 down is excellent, great fighting spirit and credit to the fans too for not giving up on the side. :agree:

thebakerboy
10-12-2017, 08:34 PM
I think a lot can be read into the fact that Broony (despite the number of fouls he committed ) constantly was complaining to the ref about SJM.

bingo70
10-12-2017, 08:57 PM
The obvious comparison is with Scott Brown but let’s not forget that celtic paid £4.5m for Ntcham or whatever he’s called. On the occasions I’ve seen him I’d say he’s not in the same league as John Mcginn.

If bids come in for Mcginn, and that seems inevitable, let’s use that as the negotiating starting point.

inglisavhibs
10-12-2017, 09:55 PM
I think a lot can be read into the fact that Broony (despite the number of fouls he committed ) constantly was complaining to the ref about SJM.
Yes the Celtic fans are moaning about McGinn continually fouling, but as it happens Hibs only committed 10 fouls to Celtic's 15.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Yes the Celtic fans are moaning about McGinn continually fouling, but as it happens Hibs only committed 10 fouls to Celtic's 15.

They clearly arent taking into consideration that SJMs erse is extremely large and opposing players just seem to bounce off it.

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2017, 10:01 PM
The obvious comparison is with Scott Brown but let’s not forget that celtic paid £4.5m for Ntcham or whatever he’s called. On the occasions I’ve seen him I’d say he’s not in the same league as John Mcginn.

If bids come in for Mcginn, and that seems inevitable, let’s use that as the negotiating starting point.

Correct. As McGinn isn’t French and only has 18 months left on his contract I’d be delighted with £3m even though he’s a far better player than Ntcham

inglisavhibs
10-12-2017, 10:03 PM

I thought he did well for Celtic today, not a world beater but quite effective.

matty_f
10-12-2017, 10:16 PM
McGinn was excellent, imho.

yonder1875
10-12-2017, 10:23 PM
People on here saying McGinn was poor, have a word. Quality performance today - toss up between him and Efe for our MOTM.