PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

guthrie01
10-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Deserves a starting spot on Wednesday, completely changed the game once we came on. Stokes needs someone up front with him and tonight showed it. Around 45 minutes against Celtic, 2 goals and 1 which came so so close.

heretoday
10-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Well done, lad!!

SirDavidsNapper
10-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Great option to have

StevieCowan
10-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Hopefully another Jason Cummings in the making.. released by Hearts when he was younger

Souter96Mac
10-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Seems to work well with Stokes, allows him to drop deeper. Loves a goal against celtic

we are hibs
10-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Seems to work well with Stokes, allows him to drop deeper. Loves a goal against celtic

Yep. The difference in stokes when shaw came on and gave him someone to work off. I'd start both on Wednesday

BSEJVT
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Oli knows the way to goal, has the happy knack of finding himself in the right place and finishes well, but IMO he is nowhere near ready to start games and him doing so may stunt his development.

IMO he is physically miles off being ready to deal with centre half's roughing him up for 90 minutes and would contribute very little.

He didn't win a single challenge today or a foot race for the ball, which to me shows that at this stage of his development he lacks the physicality required

I think he will go onto become a very good striker for us, but I would much prefer that Lennon eased him gently into the team with substitute appearances as Mowbray did with Fletcher whilst working on and allowing the laddie the time to mature physically without ruining him.

Future17
10-12-2017, 03:49 PM
I think the problem with 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 is that we only have one Martin Boyle. There's nobody to play the other wide position.

I think we have to go back to 3-5-2 to accommodate two out of Shaw, Murray and Stokes.

Swedish hibee
10-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Brilliant. He's gotta get his game now, surely?!!

J-C
10-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Classy looking player who knows how to score, win win situation, start him on wednesday.

Allant1981
10-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Classy looking player who knows how to score, win win situation, start him on wednesday.

cant see him starting against the rangers, their CH's would batter him from the first minute and he isnt the biggest yet

WestStandWillie
10-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Talent, abilty and professionalism.

Aw the hallmarks fir a Hibs striker. He'll be a cross between Deek and GoC.

SanFranHibs
10-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Talent, abilty and professionalism.

Aw the hallmarks fir a Hibs striker. He'll be a cross between Deek and GoC.

Drugs and alcohol????

:wink:

Hi Heid Yin
10-12-2017, 04:53 PM
The lad is a real talent and has an eye for goal - now scoring twice against the best side in the league.
I'm not convinced that he is not ready to start games.
Neil Lennon will know better than any of us and if he thinks that Shaw is ready to start games he will start him.
Shaw is a gem of a player, right off the Riordan/O'Connor conveyor-belt (not character wise I should stress).
He's like a new signing.

cleanyman
10-12-2017, 04:54 PM
A promising player.

Scoring two goals against the best opposition in the country is a confident start.

ballengeich
10-12-2017, 04:54 PM
He didn't win a single challenge today or a foot race for the ball, which to me shows that at this stage of his development he lacks the physicality required

While I agree with the general tone of your post, he did win a physical challenge to get in the shot for his goal.

neil7908
10-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I don't see what more he could do to earn a start. Tuesday is a huge game and Lennon might want the experience of Stokes and/or work rate of Murray but Shaw must be due a start soon.

BSEJVT
10-12-2017, 05:15 PM
While I agree with the general tone of your post, he did win a physical challenge to get in the shot for his goal.

Correct, couldn't make that out at the game, but seen the highlights and you are right

J-C
10-12-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't see what more he could do to earn a start. Tuesday is a huge game and Lennon might want the experience of Stokes and/or work rate of Murray but Shaw must be due a start soon.

What huge game is there on Tuesday? I'll be at the other huge game on Wednesday though :greengrin

mjhibby
10-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Just looks a natural finisher and they are so hard to find. Develop league games won't bring him on so he needs to get more game time. Bring him on gradually but the fact he's scored twice against the best team in the country says it all.

Captain Trips
10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Well done Oliver asked to do a job again and you did it. Bright future ahead.

Souter96Mac
10-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Reminds me a tad like Harry Kane when he started at spurs, was a bit scrawny. If he can develop physically, he could be a very good player.

The Leith Dutch
11-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Oli knows the way to goal, has the happy knack of finding himself in the right place and finishes well, but IMO he is nowhere near ready to start games and him doing so may stunt his development.

IMO he is physically miles off being ready to deal with centre half's roughing him up for 90 minutes and would contribute very little.

I think he will go onto become a very good striker for us, but I would much prefer that Lennon eased him gently into the team with substitute appearances as Mowbray did with Fletcher whilst working on and allowing the laddie the time to mature physically without ruining him.

Excellent analysis and pretty much where I am with him.
My heart says stick the guy in and see what he can do but the head knows he's not there yet.

Jones28
11-12-2017, 09:15 AM
He's a terrific option off the bench, but not ready to start games imo.

SirDavidsNapper
11-12-2017, 09:18 AM
The lad needs nurtured. Drip fed into games. His confidence will be sky high so id bring him off the bench again against Sevco when we're a few up.

hibee_nation
11-12-2017, 09:35 AM
One thing for sure Stokes is wasted as a lone striker. If we only play one upfront we should start with Murray. Stokes and Shaw could develop into a strong forward line for us.

neil7908
11-12-2017, 09:52 AM
What huge game is there on Tuesday? I'll be at the other huge game on Wednesday though :greengrin

Glad I've got folk on here to keep me right! Despite all the technology at my fingertips I would have been turning up at ER on Tuesday!

BSEJVT
11-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Glad I've got folk on here to keep me right! Despite all the technology at my fingertips I would have been turning up at ER on Tuesday!

Don't worry

I once turned up a week early for a pre-season friendly against Birmingham

Its easy done :-)

Spike Mandela
11-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Stokes, Murray and Shaw are all decent options to have and Neil will juggle them as he sees fit. Add another quality striker in January and we will be well covered.Add to that we still haven’t really seen what big Matulevicius has to offer yet either.

Oli Shaw will get his chance when the time is right but with 3 huge games in 6 days I wouldn’t be surprised to see Murray start on Wed.

xyz23jc
11-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Drugs and alcohol????

:wink:

Yes Please... Where do I sign....? :greengrin:duck:

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Too soon to start on Wednesday. Just keep what he's doing and don't over use him. :agree:

Bostonhibby
11-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Yep, am liking everything I see and hear about the lad, looks to be able to compete at first team level. Good times at Hibs just now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

GreenPJ
11-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Great composure for the goal and the chance and think he is now ahead of Dave in the pecking order which suggests to me Dave will be away in Jan to make room for a wide attacking player or maybe even an additional attacking midfielder.

CMurdoch
11-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Shaw showed great strength for his goal.
Feel sorry for Big Dave, not really had a chance to the extent the fans don't know how good or bad he is.
Murray is a grafter who occasionally scores a great league goal.

The place alongside Stokes is still up for grabs.

hibbyfraelibby
11-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Great composure for the goal and the chance and think he is now ahead of Dave in the pecking order which suggests to me Dave will be away in Jan to make room for a wide attacking player or maybe even an additional attacking midfielder.

Big Dave will get his chance but think his main role just now is company for Vickki

keep the faith
11-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Big Dave will get his chance but think his main role just now is company for Vickki

I would be surprised if big Dave gets a chance now. Would bet he is moved on next month.

heretoday
11-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Shaw will be a great player for us in the coming years.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Yams on boakback claiming he was at them to start with, anyone confirm? is he a Hibs man?

BSEJVT
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Yams on boakback claiming he was at them to start with, anyone confirm? is he a Hibs man?

Don't know but almost wish he had been

They would be absolutely spewing to have let both him and Cummings go.

Think there is another banging in the goals for the development squad they also let go?

18Hibee75
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Yams on boakback claiming he was at them to start with, anyone confirm? is he a Hibs man?He's a hibs fan definitely.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-12-2017, 06:25 PM
He's a hibs fan definitely.

:thumbsup:

B.H.F.C
11-12-2017, 06:29 PM

I don't think Dave will get a chance at all. Can't see when or how he gets in to the team, unless we have some kind of injury crisis.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2017, 07:09 PM

He was was released by them, not sure what age though His parents are from Dumfries, so probably brought up a Queens fan, but a Hibbee now
Our 2nd top scorer in development team, Jamie Gullan was also released by them

DickieDastardly
11-12-2017, 08:19 PM
He was was released by them, not sure what age though His parents are from Dumfries, so probably brought up a Queens fan, but a Hibbee now
I'd happily have every striker a former Jambo youth player if it gives them extra fire in the belly to succeed, and if they do make the grade JC is an example of the pleasure taken sticking it up em (John Robertson whilst slightly different is a similar example reversed).

yonder1875
11-12-2017, 08:27 PM
I'd be bold and start him on Wednesday in a front 3 with Stokes on the left and Boyle on the right.

hibbydog
11-12-2017, 08:27 PM
I’d love it if he starts on Wednesday. IMO we need a partner for Stokesy so he can drift out to the left and rip Tavernier a new one, just like some game in May last year.....

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
11-12-2017, 08:47 PM

I thought the exact same with Deek thinking he was far too lightweight and would take year or two or indeed may never make it ! What a judge I am ?

Unseen work
11-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Very exciting prospect.

Excellent finish to lift it over Gordon yesterday.

Also played a sublime 1-2 with Ambrose last week which was unlucky not to end in a goal

StevieCowan
11-12-2017, 09:27 PM

Annan Athletic ;)

11-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Oli, Oli, Oli, Oli... Oli, Oli..

To the tune of Olé, Olé, Olé

18Hibee75
11-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Oli, Oli, Oli, Oli... Oli, Oli..

To the tune of Olé, Olé, OléOli, oli Shaw, oli Shaw, oli, oli Shaw na na na na na na na etc.. Was good on Sunday when it was sung

Hi Heid Yin
11-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Stokes, Murray and Shaw are all decent options to have and Neil will juggle them as he sees fit. Add another quality striker in January and we will be well covered.Add to that we still haven’t really seen what big Matulevicius has to offer yet either.

Oli Shaw will get his chance when the time is right but with 3 huge games in 6 days I wouldn’t be surprised to see Murray start on Wed.

Matulevicius would appear to be doing not enough in training. If he was outshining the rest of our squad he would surely be starting regularly.
I'm convinced that he is going to be one of those " never quite broke through" players that come and go for every club.

Thecat23
11-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Big Dave I’m told Is going come Jan.

Brightside
11-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Big Dave I’m told Is going come Jan.

Hes not allowed to leave. Vicky would be lost without him.

WellingtonHibby
12-12-2017, 01:58 AM
I think, tin hat on, he is a prospect and nothing more. There is still zero guarantee he'll cut it at this level and its unfair to heap too much expectation on a very physically slight, albeit talented young lad. We've had plenty of young guys who have burst on the scene and never quite made the jump up to first team and 2 goals dont make you a starter or a established striker. Id much rather see him eased in, coming off the bench and continuing to develop.

Man Down Under
12-12-2017, 06:41 AM
In the post match Lennon said he was considering starting him for the Celtic game but decided against in the end as he thought he might struggle to cope with such a big game.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gave him a start against rangers.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
12-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Annan Athletic ;)

His grandad is their chairman

Chip shop Joe
12-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Billy any idea why Hearts seem to be identifying these players as well as Cummings ahead of us?

Luckily they are releasing them but the fact that 3 of our best young players of recent years were first identified by Hearts seems slightly strange.

Brightside
12-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Billy any idea why Hearts seem to be identifying these players as well as Cummings ahead of us?

Luckily they are releasing them but the fact that 3 of our best young players of recent years were first identified by Hearts seems slightly strange.

They pay more money for scouts.

Chip shop Joe
12-12-2017, 09:15 AM

Thanks, hopefully this is being address as I would imagine in the grand scheme of things the amount of money involved is not huge.

Hopefully we are not going to rely on the jambos incompetence lasting forever.

Billy Whizz
12-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks, hopefully this is being address as I would imagine in the grand scheme of things the amount of money involved is not huge.

Hopefully we are not going to rely on the jambos incompetence lasting forever.

Surely it’s not the only reason. I don’t know much about scouting etc, but maybe Hearts took on too many players, can’t keep them all retained

BSEJVT
12-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Certainly historically they were also throwing money at their youth / fringe players

A guy whose family I know went in expecting to get freed and instead got a 5 year deal, didn't play many games in that time for them either.

Hearts also outbid Aston Villa for his younger brother, who I must admit was probably the best young player I had seen as a youth, but failed to make the breakthrough and ended up retiring injured

He was also on a long and lucrative contract as a youth

BSEJVT
12-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Surely it’s not the only reason. I don’t know much about scouting etc, but maybe Hearts took on too many players, can’t keep them all retained

There is also the bit that unless they are 6ft 6 and built like a brick outhouse they are unlikely to fit into their preferred "agricultural" style of play

jacomo
12-12-2017, 11:32 AM
I'd be bold and start him on Wednesday in a front 3 with Stokes on the left and Boyle on the right.

:agree:

With both Murrays available from the bench.

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Would have no qualms about starting him on Wednesday his movement and goal threat would cause loads of problems to an average defence IMO.

J-C
12-12-2017, 11:40 AM

I think this all change when Leeann came in, George Craig and Graeme Mathie were appointed to identify and sign players, we now have a better scouting network in operation.

12-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Oli, oli Shaw, oli Shaw, oli, oli Shaw na na na na na na na etc.. Was good on Sunday when it was sung

It was good on Sunday, maybe he could have 2 songs, one for each goal he scores tomorrow.

NAE NOOKIE
12-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Don't worry

I once turned up a week early for a pre-season friendly against Birmingham

Its easy done :-)

So did I ..... the thing is there were 4 other folk who should have known the game was the following week but nobody noticed :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
12-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Reminds me a tad like Harry Kane when he started at spurs, was a bit scrawny. If he can develop physically, he could be a very good player.

That's what springs to mind when I see Oli play .... As you say Kane was a bit scrawny when he first started in the Spurs team too but look at him now.

I don't think Lennon will start Shaw against the Huns, but he certainly is looking like the real deal as an impact sub for the time being, every time he comes on something happens, even against Sunderland he was very unlucky not to score .... he seems to have a happy knack of getting himself into good positions and he doesn't panic, he did exactly the right thing with his shot against Celtic when Gordon spilled the ball.

So far as 'bulking up' goes I don't think its the be all and end all, he might not be the kind of guy who can pile on the muscle, but there have been plenty of strikers over the years built like Oli Shaw who have been brilliant, I don't recall Alan Gordon being built like Hulk Hogan but he wasn't bad :greengrin

Firestarter
12-12-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm sure they released him when they went into admin, he's apparently got a brother with them too who's meant to be decent.

Firestarter
12-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Paid. Past tense. :wink:

Northernhibee
23-12-2017, 11:58 PM
The boy is a footballer. Very good in the second half.

lord bunberry
24-12-2017, 12:15 AM
I thought he was a passenger in the first half, but in the second half he was much more involved. He’s very much like Jason Cummings in his early days. The difference is that he has a bit more to his game than Cummings did. Ultimately it will come down to the number of goals he scores, but he looks the part to me.