PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

Winston Ingram
10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Was absolutely hopeless today.

Sinclair ripped him every time he got the ball. He was never the quickest but now looks even slower and more cumbersome than ever before.

There’s no doubting his quality on the ball but we really are going to have to consider whether he’s capable of playing quick tricky wide players. I bet Murty is praying he starts this week as Windass will have the same sort of joy against him as Sinclair had today.

The_Horde
10-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Sinclair ripped him every time he got the ball. He was never the quickest but now looks even slower and more cumbersome than ever before.

There’s no doubting his quality on the ball but we really are going to have to consider whether he’s capable of playing quick tricky wide players. I bet Murty is praying he starts this week as Windass will have the same sort of joy against him as Sinclair had today.

Injured. Not fully fit and had no help.

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Or maybe as far as Scottish football goes Sinclair is actually really really good, it happens

overdrive
10-12-2017, 04:25 PM
He shouldn’t have been playing. He’s clearly not fit. I hope we play Ambrose at right back on Wednesday with McGregor at centre half.

S4uzee
10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Don’t think people realise how quick Sinclair actually is

heretoday
Whittaker is a liability. Gray is missed right now.

Billy Whizz

He’s not a liability, man’s injured.

Nameless
10-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Lennon confirmed Whitty has a pelvic problem, and has been suffering for most of the season. If that's how he plays injured, he will be a fine addition to the team when fully fit.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
10-12-2017, 04:28 PM

That's the spirit....😴

10-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Prefer David Gray to Whittaker. To be honest though, I prefer David Gray to anyone else on the planet.

Brightside
10-12-2017, 04:31 PM

He had a lot of help. He's just done. Boyle spent too long in our half helping him out. RB is our weakest position now with the current issues with DG and SW

Vault Boy
10-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I said when we signed him that I was glad to see him back but that Gray is a significantly better defender, a few disagreed which is fair enough but I'd stand by that statement. He's been pretty decent usually but his biggest weakness for years has been letting players cut inside him and playing a team like Celtic only highlights that issue. Still a very decent signing and good player in the squad.

Heisenberg
10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Whittaker has been very poor defensively all season. Can’t believe we gave him three years as well.

J-C
10-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Thought he was very poor today and if he's injured why the hell is he playing, Ambrose is a very good player to step in at RB, I still think Whittaker has the best agent in the world to get a 3 year deal out of us, he looks past it.

Future17
10-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Whittaker was really poor today. He was off the pace, used the ball poorly and was slow to react to danger.

If he's injured, he should not have been playing.

Skol
10-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Whittaker has been very poor defensively all season. Can’t believe we gave him three years as well.

To be fair, he was poor defensively when he first played for us as well. We knew what we were getting

ancient hibee
10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
I can never understand when we have a good result that postersimmediately come on here to criticise our players.Whittaker was not fit but went out to do his best because that was what was needed.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
I have huge concerns over Whitty, he’s been poor since coming back. If he’s injured why play him? Daz should have Started imo.

J-C
10-12-2017, 04:36 PM
To be fair, he was poor defensively when he first played for us as well. We knew what we were getting

But he had a bit of pace back then, slower than a week in Saughton right now.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2017, 04:40 PM
I can't believe how slow he looked at times today. Thought he looked absolutely done.

Firestarter
10-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Why was he playing if injured? I love the guy but he does seem quite done.

Smartie
10-12-2017, 04:41 PM
I thought he did ok.

Whittaker was never the best defensively and today he was up against one of the most dangerous opponents in the country whilst carrying an injury.

He was ripped apart once or twice but he also managed to make a decent defensive effort on more than one occasion.

Quick, right-footed player coming in off the left is Whittaker's worst nightmare.

I don't know if I'd have played Ambrose at RB - Ambrose was brilliant in his most natural position and I think we'd have missed him in the middle.

McGregor's not a bd RB himself and might have slotted in there fine.

Boyle made a few telling defensive contributions as well on that side.

Allant1981
10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
I can never understand when we have a good result that postersimmediately come on here to criticise our players.Whittaker was not fit but went out to do his best because that was what was needed.

being fit had nothing to do with some of those passes or marking today, thats just being poor

Wee Effen Bee
10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
For Christ sake: we earned a precious point by matching up to the runaway champions and might actually have won. BUT, let’s have a go at one of our players. Not even constructive criticism but just putting the boot in. Funny thing is, Sinclair did F all in the first half and my mates were praising Whittaker for not giving Sinclair an inch. Not only that, but Boyle did an outstanding job on Tierney on the right while still finding the space to attack their defence.. Neither of the Celtic superstars did anything of note for the first 45. I really hate this place at times.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
being fit had nothing to do with some of those passes or marking today, thats just being poor

Correct.

IGRIGI
10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
If he's injured he shouldn't be playing especially when he's going up against arguably the best player in the league.

I thought he was far too slow and a cone could've made more effort to tackle Sinclair when he made a run for the goals.

I'm hoping if he is injured when he's fit we'll see the Whittaker we thought we'd see.

KeithTheHibby
10-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Well surely play McGregor if that’s the case? SW was very poor today. I know he was up against Sinclair however was still poor.
Will be surprised if he sees out his 3 year deal.

greenlex
10-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Anyone would struggle with Sinclair. Whitty has lost any pacehe had and it’s showing. Giving him the benifit regards fitness not terrible but we need better to progress.

gaz1875
10-12-2017, 05:01 PM
For Christ sake: we earned a precious point by matching up to the runaway champions and might actually have won. BUT, let’s have a go at one of our players. Not even constructive criticism but just putting the boot in. Funny thing is, Sinclair did F all in the first half and my mates were praising Whittaker for not giving Sinclair an inch. Not only that, but Boyle did an outstanding job on Tierney on the right while still finding the space to attack their defence.. Neither of the Celtic superstars did anything of note for the first 45. I really hate this place at times.

Definitely agree with the bit in bold, Whittaker was miles of the pace and has been on most of his outings this season, if he was injured today he should never have started.

cleanyman
10-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Barker was worse.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Barker was worse.

Eh? Barker played well today. 😳

easty
10-12-2017, 05:03 PM

I've nae doubt he is injured, but today he was a liability, and I was surprised he was given so long on the park.

Vault Boy
10-12-2017, 05:05 PM

I thought so too. He defended well for a very attack minded player.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 05:06 PM
I've nae doubt he is injured, but today he was a liability, and I was surprised he was given so long on the park.

Shouldn’t have been near the first 11. To then say he isn’t fully fit makes it even more baffling!

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Played poor against the most effective winger/forward in the last 18 months in Scottish football.

I prefer him in a right wing back position

Kojock
10-12-2017, 05:09 PM

So why was he playing? surely Ambrose right back and McGregor in the middle should've been formation.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Gray is also a liability, he was subbed at half time last time we played Celtic.

Jack Hackett
10-12-2017, 05:15 PM
I have a lot of time for Whitty, but he's obviously not fit and I'll be surprised... and dismayed, if he's on the team sheet against the zombies

Fergus52
10-12-2017, 05:16 PM
I have a lot of time for Whitty, but he's obviously not fit and I'll be surprised... and dismayed, if he's on the team sheet against the zombies

Windass gave him a tough time at ibrox, if he's not fully fit it could be even worse this time. If we're going to play a back four I'd defo be sticking Efe at RB.

number9dream
10-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Maybe go 3-5-2 on Wednesday, with Boyle and Stevenson wide. Ambrose was our best player today and we need the big man mopping up in the middle.
Stokes and Shaw up top from the start. Daz joining Hanlon & Efe, with Barker & Whittaker dropping out.

Arch Stanton
10-12-2017, 05:26 PM

I think our upcoming game on Wed must have played a part in today's team selection - playing Whitty and Stokes, neither of whom I expect to start on Wed.

Hermit Crab
10-12-2017, 05:29 PM

To be fair he was injured but he wasn't the only one, Stevenson, McGeoch, Hanlon etc all poor until we scored then they started to believe again!

andybev1
10-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Barker was worse.

Barker plated great first half when on my side at least.

Lago
10-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Barker was worse.

You know I was about to say exactly that, he was an absolute passenger with only one decent run, I would have put Murray out there to run at them.

Lago
10-12-2017, 05:36 PM

No he didn't.

Stuart93
10-12-2017, 05:38 PM

What game could people have been watching to say barker played well, never beat a man all game and when he did his final ball was awful, didn't even look interested

andybev1
I think we played too negatively today. I saw forwards wanting players to move up at times but they obviously had their orders to stay back - inviting Celtic to keep coming forward will only result in one thing and it did. We gave a Celtic team that did not look like they fancied it today too much respect and I am positive we could have won if we had given them less respect.

JohnMcM
IMO

Whittaker, compared to what he was, is now slower on the take up, slower to turn and (seems to be favouring his right hip?)

He is not the same player we had all that time ago.

He is prone to much more loose play than he ever was and not as quick to cover anyone else caught out of position.

That sad, he is experienced, good on his day and good squad player.

I prefer guys like Darren McG who seem to give what Whittaker has lost, even though Whittaker makes up in experience what he has lost.

Edit: Just contradicted myself, but I think you know what I mean, huh?

Malthibby
Got to assume that Lennon wanted him there for the shape so you could argue he was hung out to dry because he was struggling from kick-off.
Clearly not fit & probably shouldn't have been on the pitch, but with Gray out just now our options are limited.
Great game though..
GG

greenlex
10-12-2017, 05:39 PM
To be fair he was injured but he wasn't the only one, Stevenson, McGeoch, Hanlon etc all poor until we scored then they started to believe again!

Rubbish. McGeouch I’ll give you but the other two hardly put a fit wrong all game.

cleanyman
10-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Rubbish. McGeouch I’ll give you but the other two hardly put a fit wrong all game.

Stevenson's pass completion must have been at about 50 percent. It either went out of play or he humped it up the park.

andybev1
10-12-2017, 05:42 PM
What game could people have been watching to say barker played well, *never beat a man all game and when he did his final ball was awful, didn't even look interested
not true to say e did not beat a man all game he got to the line and got crosses in but, ok, they came to nothing. I hear people saying barker is no good a lot of the time when I see him doing ok. opinions being like arsholes eh!
(everyone has one)

*you contradicted yourself here - cannot have it both ways - be fair to the guy

Hibeewilly
10-12-2017, 05:45 PM
I think our upcoming game on Wed must have played a part in today's team selection - playing Whitty and Stokes, neither of whom I expect to start on Wed.
Why would you not expect Stokes to start on Wednesday? Against The Rangers....surely the first name on the team sheet

JohnMcM
10-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Really? Is that what you saw today?

I know we are all entitled to our own opinions here, however Hermit, we are polar opposites on your assessment there mate.

Funny old game isn't it.

:flag:

Hermit Crab
10-12-2017, 05:51 PM

All Stevenson did in the first half was give the ball away! He was better in the second half.

Arch Stanton
10-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Why would you not expect Stokes to start on Wednesday? Against The Rangers....surely the first name on the team sheet

If he had a stroll through the park today then yes I would pick him but I wouldn't omit Murray to do so.

Brightside
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Dylan had a couple of poor passes and was obv chasing shadows for a lot of the game, but I didn’t see a poor performance from the other two.

JohnM1875
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
All Stevenson did in the first half was give the ball away! He was better in the second half.

Haha! Forgetting the last ditch tackle on Forrest when he was through 1 on 1 then aye?

neil7908
10-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Don’t think people realise how quick Sinclair actually is

If Whittaker had an injury that's one thing but for both Celtic goals and earlier in the game when Sinclair got round him only for Marciano to save, Sinclair didn't have to do anything to get past him. No tricks, turns, skills etc. Whittaker just watched him go by.

I've defended him for much of this season but he looked very poor today. Can only hope the injury was a big factor.

A 3 year deal isn't looking great at the moment though.

Winston Ingram
10-12-2017, 06:18 PM
I have huge concerns over Whitty, he’s been poor since coming back. If he’s injured why play him? Daz should have Started imo.

I really hope he was injured as he looks done. If he’s not what state will he be in in 2 yrs time.

Jim44
10-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Maybe an injury was affecting him today, but he didhave a shocker. Don’t forget though that Celtic are a formidable team, domestically, and cause every defence problems. In the majority of games, Whittaker would hold his own. We knew when we signed him that his strength was going forward and not defending. I think we should cut him some slack.

J-C
10-12-2017, 06:38 PM

McGeouch had 2 poor passes all game but apart from that was chasing everything and involved in nearly all our build up play, Hanlon made one wee mistake at their 2nd goal by stepping to his right and giving the Celtic CF room to hit the post and Stevenson kept Forrest quiet nearly all game and his surging run forward created the chance foe Shaw to score.

Barker defended better today but really seems to flatter to deceive at times, all tricky build up with little end product, Looks like he doesn't fancy being here at times. I'd like to see someone in the mould of Morgan at St Mirren come here and play on the left.

JohnM1875
10-12-2017, 06:42 PM
McGeouch had 2 poor passes all game but apart from that was chasing everything and involved in nearly all our build up play, Hanlon made one wee mistake at their 2nd goal by stepping to his right and giving the Celtic CF room to hit the post and Stevenson kept Forrest quiet nearly all game and his surging run forward created the chance foe Shaw to score.

Barker defended better today but really seems to flatter to deceive at times, all tricky build up with little end product, Looks like he doesn't fancy being here at times. I'd like to see someone in the mould of Morgan at St Mirren come here and play on the left.

That’s one of my main problems with McGeouch. ‘Chasing everhthing’ At times to me it just seems he’s making token runs to look like he’s closing down but never actually makes much effort to put in a tackle. He often slows the game down too much for me and plays far too many square passes for a player with his ability and vision.

I know the above sounds like I don’t rate Dylan. That totally isn’t the case and I think he’s an important first time player. Just think he’s capable of much more than he gives at times.

Smartie
10-12-2017, 06:42 PM

That's really not how I see it tbh.

I think he's very happy to be here. He's very talented and clearly has something about him but his game has weaknesses. Barker needs to play regular football and that's exactly what he's getting with us.

He'll return to City a better player and will be grateful for the experience.

allmodcons
10-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Agree with this. Whittaker was poor for first 20 - 25 minutes of second half, as Hibs were as a team.

He's up against a really good winger in Sinclair and did come off 2nd best but some of the comments on here are just pathetic.

Can't understand why we can't just enjoy being able to compete with a team that's unbeaten in 68 domestic matches.

lyonhibs
10-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Horrible performance. He was defensively awful, which I guess is to be expected but going forward and in possession he offered nothing as well. Bailed out on various occasions by either Marciano or Boyle.

Sinclair didn't even have to try, he just cut inside, vaguely faked to shoot once and Whittaker gave up the ghost.

Terrible performance.

Since90+2
10-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Not buying the idea he was injured , if he was no chance at all Lennon would have started him. He maybe wasn't match fit but that's not the same as being injured.

He had a very poor game today and that's not the first time this season he has not played well. It's a worry he has a 3 year deal considering he will be one of the highest earners at the club.

bigwheel
10-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Not buying the idea he was injured , if he was no chance at all Lennon would have started him. He maybe wasn't match fit but that's not the same as being injured.

He had a very poor game today and that's not the first time this season he has not played well. It's a worry he has a 3 year deal considering he will be one of the highest earners at the club.

Lennon confirmed in his BBC interview that he is struggling with a pelvic problem

calumhibee1
10-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Whether he was injured or not he was chronic today. Might not have been his fault so I’m not going to slaughter him for it, but if he’s not fit and that’s how he’s going to play then he shouldn’t even be in the squad on Wednesday.

Since90+2
10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Lennon confirmed in his BBC interview that he is struggling with a pelvic problem

Not struggling enough that he can't start the game though. I don't doubt he isn't at full fitness but Lennon woudnt start a player and play him for 75 minutes if he was injured. He was poor today and has struggled in matches a good few times this season.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Whitty has struggled defensively all season for me. Offers something going forward but really struggles defensively against pace, of the two I prefer SDG personally.

Danderhall Hibs
10-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Haha! Forgetting the last ditch tackle on Forrest when he was through 1 on 1 then aye?

That was a great tackle. Covered his arse cos he misjudged the pass through in the first place.

snooky
10-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Prefer David Gray to Whittaker. To be honest though, I prefer David Gray to anyone else on the planet.

Defensively, I prefer anyone on the planet to Whittaker.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2017, 07:45 PM
That was a great tackle. Covered his arse cos he misjudged the pass through in the first place.

The idiot that is Andy Walker thought that should have been a penalty.

mjhibby
10-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Whittaker was really poor today. He was off the pace, used the ball poorly and was slow to react to danger.

If he's injured, he should not have been playing.

Maybe Lennon doesn't want daz playing three games in six days more like. We are doing tremendous considering our injuries so January can't come quickly enough. Hopefully a full back and an attacking midfielder/winger.

easty
10-12-2017, 07:49 PM

what a bellend he is! it was a great tackle.

Libby Hibby
10-12-2017, 07:49 PM
If he’s injured, play 3 at the back with Lewis and Boyle left and right.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 07:55 PM

I heard him say that too. The guy really is an @rse.

greenlex
10-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Did he? I thought Marv got caught ball watching as McGregor burst through more the middle of the park and Stevenson saved the day.

RIP
10-12-2017, 08:05 PM
McGinn and McGeoch were just jogging back at both goals. Offered no cover to the defence whatever. Whitty switched off at the first goal. Think he's cost us about nine goals this season so far.

Shame as he is a fairly good midfielder

we are hibs
10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Slowest full back since Maybury. About as defensively good as Maybury too. Awful today, can't afford to start him against Windass cause he will run rings past him

DarlingtonHibee
10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Slowest full back since Maybury. About as defensively good as Maybury too. Awful today, can't afford to start him against Windass cause he will run rings past him

Look he is not fit neither is Sdg, get over it. Efe right back Wednesday, Darren centre Half.

Borderhibbie76
10-12-2017, 08:32 PM
I can never understand when we have a good result that postersimmediately come on here to criticise our players.Whittaker was not fit but went out to do his best because that was what was needed.Sorry but that's rubbish mate
..he was badly at fault for both Celtic goals and the offside Sinclair goal. If he's injured then our manager should not be playing him...but for me he is well past it...slow as a wet week and cannot defend to save himself

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
10-12-2017, 08:35 PM
All Stevenson did in the first half was give the ball away! He was better in the second half.And save a certain goal in the 1st minute

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
10-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Did he? I thought Marv got caught ball watching as McGregor burst through more the middle of the park and Stevenson saved the day.

I thought so - long ball from deep in the Celtic half and he watched it float over his head. Recovered really well though but could’ve handled it more comfortably in the first place.

we are hibs
10-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Look he is not fit neither is Sdg, get over it. Efe right back Wednesday, Darren centre Half.

No I won't "get over it". He's been pish on numerous occasions this season and seriously lacks pace, that's got **** all to do with being fit or not.

Ronniekirk
10-12-2017, 10:16 PM

Today Billy he was a Liability Agree probably carrying an injury but was never comfortable and made us vulneranlevdown that flank

Mibbes Aye
10-12-2017, 11:03 PM
I think there were a number of errors, in varying number, by almost all the team today. Partly that's the nature of football but we shouldn't forget that this is a strong Celtc team who are good enough to create the conditions that lead to mistakes by the opposition.

As a counterpoint I couldn't believe how often we won possession from challenges and intercepted passes. It is rewarding for the players to see what their endeavour can lead to.

With Whittaker specifically, he didn't look quite right today. If he's carrying a pelvic injury then that will obviously impact on pace, but hopefully it's a temporary state of affairs. I'm sure he's meant to be a good trainer who looks after himself, which bodes well. For me, his biggest plus points are that technically he is proficient - very good feet, he seems to have a good attitude and he has bags of experience at a level that means he should be very comfortable in our games, if fully fit.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Nothing wrong with Maybury, was actually a solid player for us.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson are all decent against bottom six premiership sides. Against Celtic, they are cruelly exposed pace wise, and will possibly struggle a bit against A'deen and Huns too. They need replaced if we're to progress.

Thecat23
11-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson are all decent against bottom six premiership sides. Against Celtic, they are cruelly exposed pace wise, and will possibly struggle a bit against A'deen and Huns too. They need replaced if we're to progress.

Hanlon? Sorry but I couldn’t disagree more! He’s been superb all season again everyone pretty much. Can’t believe you think he needs moved on if we are to progress he’s one of the best CH in Scotland.

easty
11-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Hanlon? Sorry but I couldn’t disagree more! He’s been superb all season again everyone pretty much. Can’t believe you think he needs moved on if we are to progress he’s one of the best CH in Scotland.

Absolutely agree.

bigwheel
11-12-2017, 08:32 AM

TBH. The whole of this post is wildly wrong...The Hanlon point is just bananas.....every defender in our league will be exposed at times against Celtic. They are top notch - beyond our level ...all three you mention have contributed for us this season and well worth their place in the team and squad

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Hanlon? LOL[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanyman
11-12-2017, 09:03 AM
He's not far off.

Thecat23
11-12-2017, 09:08 AM
He's not far off.

He’s miles off if he thinks we need to move Hanlon on. But it’s not like you to also have a Wee dig you do it daily I actually find it rather funny now as I think you do it for a reaction 😁

hibbysam
11-12-2017, 09:09 AM
I actually thought Efe had to do better at the second goal. Once Sinclair gets inside Whittaker all Efe had to do was step out, Sinclair gave him plenty opportunity to do so but he held his ground when marking nobody. Then Bartley turning his back after not taking McGregor out on half way and it was more than just Whitty at fault.

Brightside
11-12-2017, 09:09 AM

Well I'm sure Aberdeen will be happy to take Hanlon off our hands! :rolleyes:

J-C
11-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Stevenson had Forrest quiet all game, the fact he had to keep cutting inside showed Stevenson had a good game yesterday, Forrest has been Celtics best players this past 8-10 games which shows what a good job Stevenson did. Celtics 2 goals came from our right side where Whittaker was all over the place at times.

Smartie
11-12-2017, 09:34 AM
I actually thought Efe had to do better at the second goal. Once Sinclair gets inside Whittaker all Efe had to do was step out, Sinclair gave him plenty opportunity to do so but he held his ground when marking nobody. Then Bartley turning his back after not taking McGregor out on half way and it was more than just Whitty at fault.

There was a sense of deja vu about their second.

Was it Moult who scored a similar goal to that one earlier this season?

Worked in off our right, decent right-footed strike from outside the box, a few of our players might have done better?

Jones28
11-12-2017, 10:10 AM

He's injured and playing against one of the quickest streaks of pish in the league.

Jones28
11-12-2017, 10:11 AM

This, he kept right on top of Dembele from the moment he came on and won everything in the air.

FilipinoHibs
11-12-2017, 10:13 AM
He's injured and playing against one of the quickest streaks of pish in the league.

Whittaker like that in first spell with us. Good coming forward and plays nice triangles. Easily turned on the defensive role. Balance is not good.

Jones28
11-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Whittaker like that in first spell with us. Good coming forward and plays nice triangles. Easily turned on the defensive role. Balance is not good.

If he wasn't good enough defensively he wouldn't have played at the level he has, at least not as a right back.

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 10:39 AM
If he wasn't good enough defensively he wouldn't have played at the level he has, at least not as a right back.

I only really care about where he is right now as a player and that is nowhere near good enough.
Because of his three year deal and Gray’s injury problems, right back has now become a problem position for us even though we have two high earners on the books for that position.
Hopefully Gray is back soon.

LEaston87
11-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Whitty was hopeless today. Fair enough he's up against Sinclair who is probably the second best footballer in the league(after SJM) but i lost count of the number of times he was caught wrong side of him. School boy stuff. He also looked like he was towing a caravan when chasing Him. No idea what he was thinkinh when he tried that left peg zinger across the pitch

mcohibs
11-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Every club in Scotland bar Celtic would kill for a centre half like Hanlon in their team.

Penicuik Hibee
11-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Hanlon been a stand out week in week out. Whitts has never been a great defender and is better going forward. He was always going to struggle against the pace of Sinclair.

Allant1981
11-12-2017, 11:23 AM

did all 3 not play when we beat the rangers at ibrox?

Nicho87
11-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Think Lennon will have in mind sevco left back Declan John who looks a decent player to be fair. Like Sinclair a right footer played on the left. Can see lenny reverting to a back 3 for Wednesday.

I would drop Barker to quiet over his time on the pitch. And with going to a 3 I think he would rightfully be the odd fit.

Winston Ingram
11-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Hanlon - as in the guy who was in the last Scotland squad?

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2017, 01:51 PM
I like Hanlon as a player but his inclusion in the Scottish squad only shows the extreme limitations of our national pool of talent.

I’d be looking to Porteous over the next 18 months and replacing Stevenson, Gray and Whittaker over the same period. We need to keep progressing- no room for sentiment! I’m sure Lennon will be taking that view too.

Since90+2
11-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Over the past 2 or 3 seasons Hanlon has progressed into a very good center half. I seriously doubt we could get better for the money we pay though I agree Stevenson , Whittaker and Gray could all be improved upon.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2017, 01:56 PM
I also admire Hanlon as a total pro. When selected for the Scotland squad he showed no embarrassment at his reduced circumstances whereas a lesser man would have been devastated.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2017, 01:56 PM
I like Hanlon as a player but his inclusion in the Scottish squad only shows the extreme limitations of our national pool of talent.

I’d be looking to Porteous over the next 18 months and replacing Stevenson, Gray and Whittaker over the same period. We need to keep progressing- no room for sentiment! I’m sure Lennon will be taking that view too.Guarantee you Lennon doesn't get rid of Hanlon. Nothing to do with sentiment, he is a class player.

CMurdoch
11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Folk need to remember we are Hibs.

We will not get better centre halfs than we have at the moment (Hanlon, Ambrose & McGregor).
Stevenson is a decent defender at our level and worth his place.
Whittaker, however, was shocking. if he was injured Lennon made a massive mistake in playing him and keeping him on the pitch for as long as he did.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Hanlon had a good game yesterday. So did Barker. Barker and Boyle obviously had to a very disciplined role in the first half and it was effective apart from the suicide pass by Dylan (who I thought was the least composed out there)

First time I've seen Tierney in the flesh too, he's a bit special eh? Whittaker had no chance with him and Sinclair lining up against him, especially injured.

Brightside
11-12-2017, 02:09 PM
I also admire Hanlon as a total pro. When selected for the Scotland squad he showed no embarrassment at his reduced circumstances whereas a lesser man would have been devastated.

Shocking trolling.

KeithTheHibby
11-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Not really sure what game you are talking about there DBS. Whittaker I will give you but Hanlon and Stevenson?
Forrest and their CF were both subbed so perhaps that goes a long way to disproving your theory that they were exposed. Both played well yesterday and certainly don't have a lack of pace.

Steve20
11-12-2017, 02:22 PM
If we end up with a couple of defenders better than Hanlon, then we will really be some team. The guy has been superb this season. Best defender at the club.

John_R_Corbett
11-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson are all decent against bottom six premiership sides. Against Celtic, they are cruelly exposed pace wise, and will possibly struggle a bit against A'deen and Huns too. They need replaced if we're to progress.Whittaker yes but then he was never the best defender, as far as the other two go, you're either drunk or more likely trolling. Stevenson is fine and Hanlon is excellent

Golden Bear
11-12-2017, 03:07 PM
I've always been a Whitty fan but yes, he struggled really badly yesterday. It was very obvious that he was far from being 100% fit and the really sad thing (a recurring theme) is our apparently reluctance to take a chance with one of our younger players in circumstances like yesterday.

WeveGotMcginn
11-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Rate Whittaker in terms of composure & technical ability but he was left for dead plenty of times by Sinclair yesterday, not sure many rbs in the country would cope against tierney & Sinclair on the one flank though

staunchhibby
11-12-2017, 03:41 PM
You must joking re your comments about hanlon.Totaly disagree with it.

Smartie
12-12-2017, 08:51 PM
I see Jane Park has made the papers with her opinion on Whittaker's performance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5167793/Jane-Park-offers-PAY-Motherwell-star-retire.html

HoboHarry
12-12-2017, 08:53 PM
I see Jane Park has made the papers with her opinion on Whittaker's performance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5167793/Jane-Park-offers-PAY-Motherwell-star-retire.html
She's an eejit. She can pay me for my time to post this comment if she has money to burn.....

Viva_Palmeiras
13-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Ah yes the curious case of The Daily Mail - didn’t they employ Katie Hopkins? There are other media outlets to get your news without the moral outrage and provocation.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-12-2017, 05:59 AM
Did anyone hear Lenny say Whitty was suffering with a pelvic injury?
Surely needs to be taken into consideration.

JimBHibees
13-12-2017, 07:14 AM

Efe and Bartley had to do better at second goal to be fair to Efe Tierney made a brilliantly timed run which he gambled on covering meaning Sinclair had more time than he should have got. Poor goal defensively that is for sure.

JimBHibees
13-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Did anyone hear Lenny say Whitty was suffering with a pelvic injury?
Surely needs to be taken into consideration.

Definitely does Whitty is a great footballer but has never been the best defensively and having an injury won't have helped that is for sure. Is SDG anywhere near fitness?

Thecat23
13-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Why was Whitty playing then if injured? That could further damage his playing career and starting him infront of a FIT McGregor makes no sense. Sorry but Lennon is trying to save his players face here. Whitty was fit for Sunday and made a right Noel Hunt of it. I’m convinced he’s done.

The_Sauz
13-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Hate to say this, but The Rangers got the best out of SW when they played him as a midfielder (scored a few goals too)! Never been a fan of his as a defender, but I still think he is a good player, if we played him in the midfield. :agree:
Sunday was not the first time he was caught flat footed and left standing when going to challenge a player.

J-C
13-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Why was Whitty playing then if injured? That could further damage his playing career and starting him infront of a FIT McGregor makes no sense. Sorry but Lennon is trying to save his players face her. Whitty was fit for Sunday and made a right Noel Hunt of it. I’m convinced he’s done.

This.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching him struggle to get back at times, I can't remember him being that slow before.

Winston Ingram
13-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Hate to say this, but The Rangers got the best out of SW when they played him as a midfielder (scored a few goals too)! Never been a fan of his as a defender, but I still think he is a good player, if we played him in the midfield. :agree:
Sunday was not the first time he was caught flat footed and left standing when going to challenge a player.

He predominantly played full back for Rangers.

Thecat23
13-12-2017, 08:24 AM
This.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching him struggle to get back at times, I can't remember him being that slow before.

It really was scary how slow he was. I felt for him because he looked completely done and Lennon for me got it very wrong playing him. He doesn’t look like he can run he can’t defend and to have him on a 3 year deal is a worry.

JDHibs
13-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Think hes been left a bit of a scapegoat here.

Sinclair is the best winger in Scotland, by far. Hes also got alot of pace, skill and a eye for goal. Hes going to be the best player Whitty comes up against this season, no questions. Both times we conceded Whitty was left isolated, we should have doubled up on him, everytime.

Whittaker isnt the greatest but thats why hes at Hibs at the tailend of a very good career. Dont know much about this pelvic problem but must have been deemed fit enough to start so cant use that as an excuse. As a side note, Gray would have been destroyed by Sinclair worse, IIRC Gray was hooked at half time against them in the league cup semi....

Firestarter
13-12-2017, 12:44 PM

The German started his career as a midfielder. I can't see who we would drop him for though. He's called German because he was a machine back in the day but sadly it doesn't seem the case these days. 3 year contract but he won't be on the most money in the world and is great around the club.

Smartie
13-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Think hes been left a bit of a scapegoat here.

Sinclair is the best winger in Scotland, by far. Hes also got alot of pace, skill and a eye for goal. Hes going to be the best player Whitty comes up against this season, no questions. Both times we conceded Whitty was left isolated, we should have doubled up on him, everytime.

Whittaker isnt the greatest but thats why hes at Hibs at the tailend of a very good career. Dont know much about this pelvic problem but must have been deemed fit enough to start so cant use that as an excuse. As a side note, Gray would have been destroyed by Sinclair worse, IIRC Gray was hooked at half time against them in the league cup semi....

So do I.

Whittaker is a good player. He's not perfect - his achilles heel was always the defensive side of his game, and now he's knocking on a bit he will be losing a bit of pace.

Sticking him in, possibly carrying an injury, at right back against one of the quickest and most effective players in the league is effectively hanging him out to dry unless we make some allowances in terms of our expectations of his performance. Sinclair will want to cut in at pace on to Whittaker's weaker side. Whittaker actually stopped him a good number of times in addition to the expected few times when he was skinned.

We got a good point against a side with a fantastic domestic record. I don't think we did that much wrong over the 90 minutes other than to fall back on ourselves for 20 minutes after half time.

Sinclair will cause big problems for better players than Whittaker.

I thought Jane Park's comments were crass and poor about a player who has served us well and will continue to serve us well. He deserves much better.

Stuart93
13-12-2017, 01:36 PM
So do I.

Whittaker is a good player. He's not perfect - his achilles heel was always the defensive side of his game, and now he's knocking on a bit he will be losing a bit of pace.

Sticking him in, possibly carrying an injury, at right back against one of the quickest and most effective players in the league is effectively hanging him out to dry unless we make some allowances in terms of our expectations of his performance. Sinclair will want to cut in at pace on to Whittaker's weaker side. Whittaker actually stopped him a good number of times in addition to the expected few times when he was skinned.

We got a good point against a side with a fantastic domestic record. I don't think we did that much wrong over the 90 minutes other than to fall back on ourselves for 20 minutes after half time.

Sinclair will cause big problems for better players than Whittaker.

I thought Jane Park's comments were crass and poor about a player who has served us well and will continue to serve us well. He deserves much better.

What do you mean Jane Park's comments and why are we bothered?

Dashing Bob S
13-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Whittaker yes but then he was never the best defender, as far as the other two go, you're either drunk or more likely trolling. Stevenson is fine and Hanlon is excellent

He'll never kick another baw for Hibs.

Smartie
13-12-2017, 03:00 PM
What do you mean Jane Park's comments and why are we bothered?

Link from a few posts up.

I actually stumbled across the article after being on a Sunderland forum. I was surprised that they had a thread on this but that it hadn't been mentioned on here, so put a link up.

No, we shouldn't be paying attention to what she says but when there is a story in a National newspaper about one of our fans suggesting she should pay up a player's contract then it may be worthy of discussion.

(For a bit of perspective, the Sunderland fans were speculating as to what it would take to get Jack Rodwell out of their club. He's taking home an estimated £70,000 a week from the club 3rd bottom of the Championship. He's played twice this season and it was been suggested that he isn't mentally up to playing football any more, he keeps suffering from questionable Friday injuries to avoid having to play in front of the Sunderland support. Nobody really knows where he is, what he is doing or why he is missing.

It's a long way from being skinned a couple of times by one of the best players in the league, playing for the best team in the country.)

Winston Ingram
16-12-2017, 02:07 PM
I really hope he’s carrying an injury as he looks done.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2017, 02:14 PM
I really hope he’s carrying an injury as he looks done.

He’s looked terrible from the moment he signed. There is no intensity to his play at all. He is just cruising about from week to week. Don’t think he’s put in a tackle all season. It’s going to be expensive but he need s to be moved on.

CMurdoch
16-12-2017, 03:55 PM
He’s looked terrible from the moment he signed. There is no intensity to his play at all. He is just cruising about from week to week. Don’t think he’s put in a tackle all season. It’s going to be expensive but he need s to be moved on.

4 months into a 3 year deal.
Brutal.

Ronniekirk
16-12-2017, 04:10 PM
There was an article recently where he said he had an ongoing injury he had had for months
So clearly he hasn't been at his best
Assume we must of thought it would clear up otherwise wouldn't of got a three year desl

greenlex
16-12-2017, 04:16 PM
If he’s injured we should have Porteous in there. There an argument for doing it anyway.

Onion
16-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Like many players, he's fine when he had time on the ball but dreadful when put under pressure. His positioning has looked suspect for such a seasoned pro. Been a huge disappointment, given his pedigree and the level he is being asked to play at.

ajf
16-12-2017, 04:17 PM

:agree: Yes looking more like a poor signing with every game

green day
16-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Its a bit of a bugger, the players we pursued the most in close season - Stokes and Whitty - have proved to be a bit hot and cold, and are probably two of the highest earners.

Thats life, I suppose but almost wish we had bought a young hungry fullback instead.

IlDiavola
16-12-2017, 05:34 PM
If he was even slightly injured what was wrong with drafting in Porteous?

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Its a bit of a bugger, the players we pursued the most in close season - Stokes and Whitty - have proved to be a bit hot and cold, and are probably two of the highest earners.

Thats life, I suppose but almost wish we had bought a young hungry fullback instead.

That's the biggest bugger about this. We have a forward who is probably the highest earner at the club contributing way below what we thought he was capable of and the guy who is probably the next highest earner looking like no improvement on the guy he has been keeping out of the team going forward and worse as a defender and we have him on a 3 year contract FFS.

For different reasons they were both a gamble and IMO that gamble looks like not paying off in either case, which is bloody annoying :confused:

IlDiavola
16-12-2017, 05:47 PM
That's the biggest bugger about this. We have a forward who is probably the highest earner at the club contributing way below what we thought he was capable of and the guy who is probably the next highest earner looking like no improvement on the guy he has been keeping out of the team going forward and worse as a defender and we have him on a 3 year contract FFS.

For different reasons they were both a gamble and IMO that gamble looks like not paying off in either case, which is bloody annoying :confused:

Good post NN.

wookie70
16-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Hot and cold is a bit generous for me. Lukewarm and freezing would be how I would describe the performance of players who have played at a very high level and must be the highest earners at the club

IlDiavola
16-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Hot and cold is a bit generous for me. Lukewarm and freezing would be how I would describe the performance of players who have played at a very high level and must be the highest earners at the club

:aok::top marks

Whittaker has done virtually nothing of note and Stokes couldn't care less if he did something of note or not in my opinion.

California-Hibs
16-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I’m absolutely shocked we gave a 33 year old a 3 year contract. Just let that settle in, 3 years!! I’m not even his biggest critic but seeing his fitness now you only have to imagine what it’ll be like in 2 years time..

FitbaFolkKen
16-12-2017, 06:47 PM
I would think that for a full back the minimum requirements would be a bit of pace, positional awareness and the ability to put in a tackle. Lewis and Dave have these and that is what makes them solid options, Whittaker hasn't really shown any of the above since his return. If I was an opposing manager I would stick someone with pace on his shoulder all day.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 06:57 PM
I’m absolutely shocked we gave a 33 year old a 3 year contract. Just let that settle in, 3 years!! I’m not even his biggest critic but seeing his fitness now you only have to imagine what it’ll be like in 2 years time..

He's not on much wage at all.

Smartie
16-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I would think that for a full back the minimum requirements would be a bit of pace, positional awareness and the ability to put in a tackle. Lewis and Dave have these and that is what makes them solid options, Whittaker hasn't really shown any of the above since his return. If I was an opposing manager I would stick someone with pace on his shoulder all day.

This last week has given me serious doubts about Whittaker, at least in that position.

The modern full-back needs way more of the attributes you list above than Whittaker is currently displaying.

We looks to me to be finished as a fullback, and any club with a pacy winger will try to exploit him.

Whittaker still has something to offer but I wonder if he's going to need to change his position, possibly back into centre mid. He had a great game in there in the league cup, has 2 good feet and a great range of passing.

The 3 year contract looks a bit mad right now.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 07:03 PM
I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
This without question is Neil lennon's worst buy. It was a gamble that has not paid off.
I really, really hope that I end up with egg on my face and Whitty somehow rediscovers the form of yesteryear, but it's not looking likely at this stage.

bigwheel
16-12-2017, 07:10 PM
I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is, for want of a better expression, a "wage thief" - draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
This without question is Neil lennon's worst buy. It was a gamble that has not paid off.
I really, really hope that I end up with egg on my face and Whitty somehow rediscovers the form of yesteryear, but it's not looking likely at this stage.

I don't like the term "wage thief". it is so disrespectful...Whittaker is playing despite having an injury..taking one for the team, so to speak....it may be that he is performing poorly, but he is widely regarded as an excellent professional, and in no way a "wage thief"

Fwiw...didn't think he was that bad when he came on today...feels like an easy target...Bartley, Murray, McGinn and McGeough were far worse...and need to really look at their contributions today..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibbysam
16-12-2017, 07:11 PM
I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is, for want of a better expression, a "wage thief" - draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.

Glad you know how much Whits is picking up each week. Funnily enough you couldn’t be further from the truth.

bigwheel
16-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Glad you know how much Whits is picking up each week. Funnily enough you couldn’t be further from the truth.

Yes true....the story I heard about the negotiations was that Petrie started with..."now Steven, you've made lots of money after developing here, so you won't be expecting much of a wage"....and actually it ended up being nowhere near our top salary....he wanted to come back here and play..

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't like the term "wage thief". it is so disrespectful...Whittaker is playing despite having an injury..taking one for the team, so to speak....it may be that he is performing poorly, but he is widely regarded as an excellent professional, and in no way a "wage thief"

Fwiw...didn't think he was that bad when he came on today...feels like an easy target...Bartley, Murray, McGinn and McGeough were far worse...and need to really look at their contributions today..

I do apologise and have removed the offending term.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I just think of that guy Naismith that used to play at st mirren. Don’t think he’s there now.
He’s big, fast and gets up and down the line.
Would have fancied him a few seasons back but I don’t k ow if he’s kicked on.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 07:20 PM

None of us know what he is earning, but it will be a healthy sum regardless.
If he is not doing the business for our first team then his wages could be put to better use.
I have apologised for my earlier remark about Whitty and removed the offending term.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 07:25 PM
I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.

Brutal from start to finish. He's taking very little from the club and is indeed putting something back in. See if we lose any money on him, take it from the £2m we made selling him in the first place. Extremely disrespectful to a very good professional.

Thegreenside
16-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Top pro but just lost his legs

mca
16-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know if he has Done his Coaching Badges.. ??

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know if he has Done his Coaching Badges.. ??

Yes.

mca
16-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Yes.

Might not be a bad signing if he is on the Low wages that folks have suggested.. :wink:

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Brutal from start to finish. He's taking very little from the club and is indeed putting something back in. See if we lose any money on him, take it from the £2m we made selling him in the first place. Extremely disrespectful to a very good professional.

I agree that Whitty is a top professional. I simply put sentiment aside when posting earlier. If he's not delivering effectively on the pitch then he is going to draw attention to himself, negative or otherwise. He's no different to Stokes or any other player. He will be praised by me when deserving of praise and receive criticism when deserving of criticism. Hardly "brutal"!

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Might not be a bad signing if he is on the Low wages that folks have suggested.. :wink:

Exactly. He's not expexted to be a first teamer in 2 years time and is on a low wage as he's made his money and eager to learn from Lennon.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 08:36 PM
I agree that Whitty is a top professional. I simply put sentiment aside when posting earlier. If he's not delivering effectively on the pitch then he is going to draw attention to himself, negative or otherwise. He's no different to Stokes or any other player. He will be praised by me when deserving of praise and receive criticism when deserving of criticism. Hardly "brutal"!

The wage thief part got me riled, sorry.

allezsauzee
16-12-2017, 08:38 PM
It's taken a few years but Lewis seems to have been deposed as our go to scapegoat :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
16-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Nobody even defending him now, just claims he is being paid peanuts so it doesn’t matter. I don’t care what he is earning or what he done in the past, he’s not good enough to be playing in the first team.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Top pro but just lost his legs

I agree.
He's an honest pro and, I'm sure, trying his level best each game, but there can be no room for sentiment if our club is to seriously maintain a challenge to The Sheep and Sevco.

bigwheel
16-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Nobody even defending him now, just claims he is being paid peanuts so it doesn’t matter. I don’t care what he is earning or what he done in the past, he’s not good enough to be playing in the first team.

I’m defending him - playing injured , great pro - others much worse than him today - well worth a place in our squad

we are hibs
16-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Has he been injured since the start of the season like because he's been pish since Ibrox

JimBHibees
16-12-2017, 09:10 PM
I just think of that guy Naismith that used to play at st mirren. Don’t think he’s there now.
He’s big, fast and gets up and down the line.
Would have fancied him a few seasons back but I don’t k ow if he’s kicked on.

Plays st Ross county

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Has he been injured since the start of the season like because he's been pish since Ibrox

He hasn't played a lot of football in two year so has been trying to get up to speed. He's injured just now though and is helping the squad making himself available. We have got a manager whom doesn't need to select him remember. Why not have a go at the person selecting him instead of people ripping into Whittaker?

We where getting pumped long before he came on.

we are hibs
16-12-2017, 09:25 PM
He hasn't played a lot of football in two year so has been trying to get up to speed. He's injured just now though and is helping the squad making himself available. We have got a manager whom doesn't need to select him remember. Why not have a go at the person selecting him instead of people ripping into Whittaker?

We where getting pumped long before he came on.

I've slated Lennon many times about his team selections and tactics but unfortunately some Hibs fans think the sun shines out his arse and he can do no wrong. Lennon shouldn't be playing him. He cannot defend, he cannot run, he cannot cross. It's just a waste of a jersey at the minute.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2017, 10:00 PM
The wage thief part got me riled, sorry.

No problems.
I felt bad for using that term and have since apologised and removed it.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 10:02 PM
No problems.
I felt bad for using that term and have since apologised and removed it.

👍 Good lad.

Firestarter
16-12-2017, 10:03 PM
I've slated Lennon many times about his team selections and tactics but unfortunately some Hibs fans think the sun shines out his arse and he can do no wrong. Lennon shouldn't be playing him. He cannot defend, he cannot run, he cannot cross. It's just a waste of a jersey at the minute.

With an injury, I'm sad to agree. Again he's being ripped to shreds but ultimately the manager picks the team.

Lago
16-12-2017, 10:12 PM
I agree Steven shouldn't be playing at the moment as I don't really think he's fully fit, but I'm far from comfortable with some of the name calling & other stuff being aimed at him.

Captain Trips
17-12-2017, 12:42 AM
In isolation of whatever his pay or contract that 4th goal was absolutely shocking from him waving arm about.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 01:38 AM
In isolation of whatever his pay or contract that 4th goal was absolutely shocking from him waving arm about.

As shocking as our goalie for the first two or Effe for the third? No.

All goals are howlers. Whittaker although 3 down seems to be getting the most stick. I don't understand it. Defence and goalie absolute murder first two goals, rocky guessing again wrong for the second kicking out of play for the first and Ambrose **** knows what he's doing the third. Whittaker comes on, were a lot more solid, he gets skinned for the 4th, yes the 4th and he gets ripped whilst Ambrose tried hard and Rocky is the best keeper since Goram? Nah you're alright.

Captain Trips
17-12-2017, 09:29 AM
As shocking as our goalie for the first two or Effe for the third? No.

All goals are howlers. Whittaker although 3 down seems to be getting the most stick. I don't understand it. Defence and goalie absolute murder first two goals, rocky guessing again wrong for the second kicking out of play for the first and Ambrose **** knows what he's doing the third. Whittaker comes on, were a lot more solid, he gets skinned for the 4th, yes the 4th and he gets ripped whilst Ambrose tried hard and Rocky is the best keeper since Goram? Nah you're alright.

This post is about SW as stated there were plenty of other howlers but this is about SW.

Ozyhibby
17-12-2017, 09:49 AM
This post is about SW as stated there were plenty of other howlers but this is about SW.

And it’s about his performance since he’s been here, not just yesterday. For most of the players, yesterday came as a shock.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 10:49 AM

So should we have induvidual threads on each player then and add criticism to it regardless? The people who won't hear a bad word about Lewis will have kittens.

bigwheel
17-12-2017, 10:52 AM

tbh , i feel this thread is about the current "whipping boy"...There is no way Whittaker should be getting singled out above others after yesterday. OK He should have played on rather than called the offside, but at least he saw it, where was the others in defence claiming the offside to allow him to focus on GMS? There were others far worse who played the whole game. Any of the midfield would warrant a thread of their own before SW.

Captain Trips
17-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Well nobody is stopping anyone starting deserved threads on Ambrose shocking defending or any other player. I have praised SW however yesterday IMO he was poor and commented on a thread about him.

Captain Trips
17-12-2017, 11:31 AM
So should we have induvidual threads on each player then and add criticism to it regardless? The people who won't hear a bad word about Lewis will have kittens.

You can do what you like, I have criticised SW on a thread about him, if he had played a blinder then I would say so on this thread also.

keep the faith
17-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Lewis doesn't simply give up and trot along once he is beaten. Lewis holds his position. He makes a massive contribution. There lies the difference here.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 11:37 AM
tbh , i feel this thread is about the current "whipping boy"...There is no way Whittaker should be getting singled out above others after yesterday. OK He should have played on rather than called the offside, but at least he saw it, where was the others in defence claiming the offside to allow him to focus on GMS? There were others far worse who played the whole game. Any of the midfield would warrant a thread of their own before SW.

Correct. Singling him out especially as we are 3 down is criminal. What about Hanlon having his second shocker in a row? Good enough for Scotland? Really?

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Lewis doesn't simply give up and trot along once he is beaten. Lewis holds his position. He makes a massive contribution. There lies the difference here.

He made no contribution at all yesterday. At least there's usually a couple misplaced crosses and he tries very hard, like Simon Murray.

keep the faith
17-12-2017, 11:45 AM
He made no contribution at all yesterday. At least there's usually a couple misplaced crosses and he tries very hard, like Simon Murray.

Whitty is obviously your mate. Fair dos and you will want to defend him. I understand he is a lovely guy and a great professional. However he has never been a great defender and I have been shocked by his lack of pace and lack of willing to get back since he returned. For me he should never be in the team.
If he is injured, he needs to agree with Lennon to take time out and recover, as his performances are not helping him, the team or his reputation.

Cod Boy
17-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Think the people that are saying he didn't do well yesterday remember that he came on at half time 3.0 down in a team that all were poor.

Firestarter
17-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Whitty is obviously your mate. Fair dos and you will want to defend him. I understand he is a lovely guy and a great professional. However he has never been a great defender and I have been shocked by his lack of pace and lack of willing to get back since he returned. For me he should never be in the team.
If he is injured, he needs to agree with Lennon to take time out and recover, as his performances are not helping him, the team or his reputation.

👍 For what it's worth I don't think he should be playing either but he's learning from NL and is trying to help him out.

keep the faith
17-12-2017, 12:33 PM
👍 For what it's worth I don't think he should be playing either but he's learning from NL and is trying to help him out.

👍

snooky
18-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Just in case it was me you were waving to.

:bye:

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Its strange we are having a thread about Whittaker, as if he's to blame for recent goals we have shipped in, yet he was not on the park when we lost both goals on wednesday, and not on the park for the first 3 on saturday.

According to Lennon, he's struggling with an injury, Whittaker does not pick the team, but when Whittaker is not on the park and the team are still losing goals, i fail to see how Steven is getting it tight.

Could he do better, of course he can. Yet those who are calling for him not to play, and you then see the teams people are picking before each game, those replacing him are hardly covering themselves in glory either.

He's not fit, David Gray is not fit, but Lennon is asking Whittaker to help him out as he's better than what we put there as a replacement.

hhibs
18-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Whilst I have had my moments of angst over Lewis. he simply never,ever hides .even when he is playing badly he always gives his all.

Whittaker is simply not a defensive full back,I do think he can offer much more elsewhere but poor cover in that area( old.old,old problem) forces him to be played there.

Firestarter
18-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Its strange we are having a thread about Whittaker, as if he's to blame for recent goals we have shipped in, yet he was not on the park when we lost both goals on wednesday, and not on the park for the first 3 on saturday.

According to Lennon, he's struggling with an injury, Whittaker does not pick the team, but when Whittaker is not on the park and the team are still losing goals, i fail to see how Steven is getting it tight.

Could he do better, of course he can. Yet those who are calling for him not to play, and you then see the teams people are picking before each game, those replacing him are hardly covering themselves in glory either.

He's not fit, David Gray is not fit, but Lennon is asking Whittaker to help him out as he's better than what we put there as a replacement.

That's exactly what's happening mate. Your assessment is 100% spot on.

snooky
19-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Whilst I have had my moments of angst over Lewis. he simply never,ever hides .even when he is playing badly he always gives his all.

Whittaker is simply not a defensive full back,I do think he can offer much more elsewhere but poor cover in that area( old.old,old problem) forces him to be played there.

That's exactly how it is, mate. Your assessment is 100% spot on too.

Brightside
19-12-2017, 12:43 AM
That's exactly what's happening mate. Your assessment is 100% spot on.

Correct - the set up from Lennon when we haven't had a fit RB has been poor. Roger isn't fit and shouldnt be playing. Efe struggles to hold his position at RB, and Darren doesnt have the pace for it. If we don't sign an RB in Jan then only Lennon can take the blame for the issues in that area.

keep the faith
19-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Correct - the set up from Lennon when we haven't had a fit RB has been poor. Roger isn't fit and shouldnt be playing. Efe struggles to hold his position at RB, and Darren doesnt have the pace for it. If we don't sign an RB in Jan then only Lennon can take the blame for the issues in that area.

And if we do sign another right back it's not too clever business either, bearing in mind we already brought in cover for our injury prone right back with another injury prone right back on a three year deal!

J-C
19-12-2017, 08:28 AM
And if we do sign another right back it's not too clever business either, bearing in mind we already brought in cover for our injury prone right back with another injury prone right back on a three year deal!

We don't need another RB, play 3 at the back and use Boyle as a wingback, he's capable of doing it, I've never been a fan of using a CB as a makeshift RB.

keep the faith
19-12-2017, 08:45 AM
We don't need another RB, play 3 at the back and use Boyle as a wingback, he's capable of doing it, I've never been a fan of using a CB as a makeshift RB.

I agree another right back is wasteful, but would worry that it's wasting Boyle if we play him too deep.
Any money we have in January needs to go on young creative players or a centre forward IMO.

Souter96Mac
19-12-2017, 09:48 AM
I think we'll be fine once Gray and Whittaker are back fully fit. Yes both of them haven't been fantastic this season, but will do a job for the time being. I also agree with the above, in the time being, I'd like to see Boyle as wingback.

Allant1981
19-12-2017, 09:52 AM

are either of them really injury prone? or just having a chance to have a dig at lennon

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Whittaker problem has nothing to do with an injury. He has been failing work hard enough since the start of the season.
Check Rangers 2nd goal at Ibrox, Whittaker has plenty time to get out and put pressure on tavernier but decides he can defend from ten feet away. Allows tavernier enough time to line up an inch perfect cross.
He does it in every game he plays. He does not get close to his man.
Against Aberdeen, he just switched off like he did the week before with Sinclair.
You can’t have players in the team who are unwilling to work hard which is what’s happening here. That becomes infectious.
We need a right back in January which is grim as we have two already at the top of our wage bill.

J-C
19-12-2017, 11:57 AM
I agree another right back is wasteful, but would worry that it's wasting Boyle if we play him too deep.
Any money we have in January needs to go on young creative players or a centre forward IMO.

It doesn't stop players like Ashley Young and Valencia at Man U, both ex wingers now very attacking wingbacks. If played in the correct system attacking winbacks are just as potent as wingers, the defenders and midfielders need to be more on the ball and cover when they go forward.

JimBHibees
19-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Agree think he is a cracking player to have, criticism is unfair imo.

Lago
19-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Agree think he is a cracking player to have, criticism is unfair imo.

Totally agree, said earlier that I was unhappy with some of the stuff being said about at Steven. He is not a lazy player or a poor footballer he is a international player of some skill who is currently going through a dip in form, as many do.

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Totally agree, said earlier that I was unhappy with some of the stuff being said about at Steven. He is not a lazy player or a poor footballer he is a international player of some skill who is currently going through a dip in form, as many do.

No, he is being lazy. Not tracking runners, not closing players down. That’s lazy. If it’s because of an injury then he has had it all season and we should not have bought him.
Hamilton’s wonder goal at Easter Road when they had 300 passes never happens if Whittaker tracks his man. And I’m not talking a sprint here. He just has to go with him.

Lago
19-12-2017, 03:12 PM
No, he is being lazy. Not tracking runners, not closing players down. That’s lazy. If it’s because of an injury then he has had it all season and we should not have bought him.
Hamilton’s wonder goal at Easter Road when they had 300 passes never happens if Whittaker tracks his man. And I’m not talking a sprint here. He just has to go with him.

Don't agree, but that's just my opinion.

snooky
19-12-2017, 03:18 PM

FWIW, I don't think he's lazy, he's just a very poor defender and has been since day one. I thought that he might improve with time and experience but he hasn't. I'm amazed how many Hibs people haven't seen this. Our opponents have, that's for sure.

hibbysam
19-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Whittaker problem has nothing to do with an injury. He has been failing work hard enough since the start of the season.
Check Rangers 2nd goal at Ibrox, Whittaker has plenty time to get out and put pressure on tavernier but decides he can defend from ten feet away. Allows tavernier enough time to line up an inch perfect cross.
He does it in every game he plays. He does not get close to his man.
Against Aberdeen, he just switched off like he did the week before with Sinclair.
You can’t have players in the team who are unwilling to work hard which is what’s happening here. That becomes infectious.
We need a right back in January which is grim as we have two already at the top of our wage bill.

Tavernier crossed the ball and got into the box to score the header. Magical

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Tavernier crossed the ball and got into the box to score the header. Magical

My point stands even if I mistook the crosser.

JimBHibees
19-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Dear oh dear you seem determined to prove a point. No way is he lazy maybe slowed down a bit due to getting older it happens. He has played really well in some of the games I have seen and is probably one of the most technical players we have but crack on with your witch hunt.

Tyler Durden
19-12-2017, 05:44 PM
I think people are wide of the mark if they think Whittaker is anywhere near top earner. The length of his deal suggests otherwise to me.

As an aside, whilst I was raging on Saturday as Whitty claimed offside in vain for Mackay-Stevens third goal, he was right. Mackay-Steven was offside and it wasn't exactly a tough one for the linesman to get right.

Tyler Durden
19-12-2017, 05:46 PM
are either of them really injury prone? or just having a chance to have a dig at lennon

Gray is a bit injury prone to be fair. Does anyone know when he's due to return? He's a player I'd always want for a derby

hibsbollah
19-12-2017, 06:16 PM
I think people are wide of the mark if they think Whittaker is anywhere near top earner. The length of his deal suggests otherwise to me.

As an aside, whilst I was raging on Saturday as Whitty claimed offside in vain for Mackay-Stevens third goal, he was right. Mackay-Steven was offside and it wasn't exactly a tough one for the linesman to get right.

... But as we said on the match thread, there was no reason for him to stop tracking GMS to make that point to the ref!

keep the faith
19-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Eh? I think Lennon is brilliant.

I do think Whittaker was a poor signing though.

And both are indeed injury prone.

Cheers.

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Dear oh dear you seem determined to prove a point. No way is he lazy maybe slowed down a bit due to getting older it happens. He has played really well in some of the games I have seen and is probably one of the most technical players we have but crack on with your witch hunt.

When it happens again, and it will so long as he’s getting selected, even you will begin to see that he’s finished.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2017, 08:00 PM
When it happens again, and it will so long as he’s getting selected, even you will begin to see that he’s finished.

How many of the 8 goals we've conceded in our last three games, would you say have been down to Whittaker?

hibbysam
19-12-2017, 09:54 PM
How many of the 8 goals we've conceded in our last three games, would you say have been down to Whittaker?

Ozy’s annual slating of our signings. Becomes fairly tiresome after a while.

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Ozy’s annual slating of our signings. Becomes fairly tiresome after a while.

Because it criticised Holt last year? In the end Lennon agreed and did not renew his contract.
I think he’ll agree on Whittaker as well and we’ll see a new right back arrive.
Sorry to bore you.

hibbysam
19-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Because it criticised Holt last year? In the end Lennon agreed and did not renew his contract.
Sorry to bore you.

Holt played a big part in both our league win and Scottie cup run, and he wasn’t released, he decided the travelling was too much and went ack down the road, fairly big difference. Your comment on another thread where we were linked with someone was ‘not another 30+ year old’ so it’s clear anyone with any sort of experience will not be welcomed by you.

Allant1981
19-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Sorry to bore you.

thought holt had been offered a contract but said no?

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Holt played a big part in both our league win and Scottie cup run, and he wasn’t released, he decided the travelling was too much and went ack down the road, fairly big difference. Your comment on another thread where we were linked with someone was ‘not another 30+ year old’ so it’s clear anyone with any sort of experience will not be welcomed by you.

I’m wary of older players although I like Niall Mcginn as a player.
Holt was not offered a new deal.

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 12:15 AM
I’m wary of older players although I like Niall Mcginn as a player.
Holt was not offered a new deal.

Holy was offered a new deal. He turned it down because of travelling issues and missed his kids

Ozyhibby
20-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Holy was offered a new deal. He turned it down because of travelling issues and missed his kids

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/grant-holt-one-of-six-players-to-leave-hibs-1-4444310

RIP
26-07-2018, 11:36 PM

This was one of many threads last season