PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Celtic pre match thoughts

Billy Whizz
09-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Big match tomorrow for Hibs, at what will be a Baltic Easter rd. Air temp not to get above -2 at the match. Hope Hibs are hot on the pitch.
Wonder what Neil’s thinking of playing style tomorrow
352 or 442.
Whittaker I believe is fit, but if he’s comes in, who drops out. Think Swanson will find a place on the bench. Much for Lennon to ponder

bingo70
09-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Buzzing for tomorrow, Celtic are obviously favourites for very good reasons and in all likelihood we’ll struggle to avoid defeat......that said there’s a few reasons for us to be positive.

History tells us teams can struggle after midweek games, we’ve ran them close twice this season, there’s signs of them flagging in recent weeks, John Mcginn should have benefited from a week off......on top of that we’re a good side.

We’ll need to ride our luck at times, We’ll need to take any half chance we get and we’ll need Marciano to have a good game but I think we’ve got a chance.

Hibeewilly
09-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Big match tomorrow for Hibs, at what will be a Baltic Easter rd. Air temp not to get above -2 at the match. Hope Hibs are hot on the pitch.
Wonder what Neil’s thinking of playing style tomorrow
352 or 442.
Whittaker I believe is fit, but if he’s comes in, who drops out. Think Swanson will find a place on the bench. Much for Lennon to ponder
I thought I read that Swanson was still a good bit away from being fit.....has he played a development game Billy ?

Hibby Gav
09-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Got money on Hibs 1 Sellick 0. Stokes
was 80-1 :aok:

:nlgwa
ggtth

Sir David Gray
09-12-2017, 04:59 PM
We have to be honest and say that if Celtic play anywhere near to their best, it's going to be a long afternoon.

We need to go at them and put them under pressure. We also need to defend well and not giving any stupid goals like we did in the semi final at Hampden.

Having McGinn back will be a huge bonus but it will be very tough tomorrow.

If we can get a draw tomorrow I'll be pleased.

SirDavidsNapper
09-12-2017, 05:01 PM
I really fancy us to win tomorrow. Would be all the better after the sheep and the tribute act both winning

Heisenberg
09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Don’t see us winning unfortunately. Think they’ll be bang at it after a poor performance midweek.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2017, 05:16 PM
I thought I read that Swanson was still a good bit away from being fit.....has he played a development game Billy ?

No he hasn’t, just read on bbc site that he was back in contention
Daz came straight into the team without a development game

Jim44
09-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Playing Celtic is always a potential ground losing match but it’s a bit like a pit stop in Formula 1,. You’ve always a good chance of making up the temporary loss of points because the others will have to make pit stops in due course. As long as we have a good game, I’ll be satisfied.

lord bunberry
09-12-2017, 05:21 PM
I think we’ll beat them. I’ve thought for a while now that we will be the team to finally beat them.

H18 SFR
09-12-2017, 05:25 PM
I've been saying for weeks we will beat them. I caused much annoyance to my mates celebrating when they scored the penalty Vs Motherwell - I am 100% sure we will win.

IGRIGI
09-12-2017, 05:28 PM
For some reason I have a feeling this is going to be a high scoring Hibs win like the below,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg

Unfortunately no Boruc or Calamity Caldwell this time round :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I think we'll lose, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong though.

Jones28
09-12-2017, 05:45 PM
A draw would be a great result.

I'd like to see us go for it and take the game to them like we did at Celtic Park, we've got nothing to fear after our performance there. Let's keep the defence tight and roar on the boys.

wookie70
09-12-2017, 05:48 PM
For some reason I have a feeling this is going to be a high scoring Hibs win like the below,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg

Unfortunately no Boruc or Calamity Caldwell this time round :greengrin

They were unbeaten up to that point then too

Anti-hoofbaw
09-12-2017, 05:48 PM
2-0 Hibs. Boyle and Hanlon to score.

brianmc
09-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Fancy us to pump them. An own goal from that welt Lustig as well would really make my day. GGTTH 🇳🇬

TheGreenMan
09-12-2017, 05:55 PM
First time we've had the chance to play 352 against them with Daz being back. Boyle or Whittaker at RWB?

They've drew with Motherwell, took a wonder LG freekick to beat Ross County and weve scored twice against them both times. A fresh McGinn and Stokes being a big game player and we've a real chance.

lucky
09-12-2017, 05:59 PM
I’d take a draw now. I hope we win but fear a thrashing as our home form has not been great.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2017, 06:02 PM
I’d take a draw now. I hope we win but fear a thrashing as our home form has not been great.

Our home form is bottom 6, we really need to improve on this
10 points from 7 home games, and 19 points from 9 away games

Hibeewilly
09-12-2017, 06:02 PM
No he hasn’t, just read on bbc site that he was back in contention
Daz came straight into the team without a development game
True he did. It says on the match preview article on the Evening News Football App that Swanson is still some way off. I hope the BBC is right and he is able to join the squad:aok:

Glory Lurker
09-12-2017, 06:03 PM
We’re winning tomorrow.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2017, 06:03 PM
True he did. It says on the match preview article on the Evening News Football App that Swanson is still some way off. I hope the BBC is right and he is able to join the squad:aok:

On here Willy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42212528

Hibee Mac
09-12-2017, 06:18 PM
If true it's about time Swanson was back in the squad, let's keep this lad fit and see what he can do.

WeeRussell
09-12-2017, 06:30 PM
I feel good about getting points in all 3 of these games coming up, as individual games. But if we are to lose one of them, I’d rather it was tomorrow.

This game in isolation, bring it on. Can see McGinn being best player on the park and us taking a deserved 3 points... if not.. I’ll forget about and look forward to Wednesday.

Springbank
09-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Efe and Boyle in a 2-0 or 2-1 win for Hibs

rotherhamrob
09-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Playing Celtic is always a potential ground losing match but it’s a bit like a pit stop in Formula 1,. You’ve always a good chance of making up the temporary loss of points because the others will have to make pit stops in due course. As long as we have a good game, I’ll be satisfied.

Some teams make a mess of their pit stops,here's hoping it's celtic turn tomorrow.

snooky
09-12-2017, 07:29 PM
A lot depends on the belief of the players. If they believe they can do it, we're halfway there already. If they don't, then they won't.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2017, 07:31 PM
1-3 Celtic sadly.

I think they’ll know they are in for a game and maybe feel they have a wee point to prove and be that clinical way they can be. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them burst out the traps to try and shut us up early doors and get their own fans going.

If we are going to get anything then we simply can’t gift them goals like we have previously. Hopefully we give another good account of ourselves and I hope I’m proved well and truly wrong with my prediction.

Skol
09-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Efe and Boyle in a 2-0 or 2-1 win for Hibs

I got 55-1 on Efe

Ronniekirk
09-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Think our chance to beat them was the Parkhead game Everything was in our favour but we couldn't do it
So our chance may have gone
They didn't get Stretched by Anderlecht so cant see them being as tired this time
Factor in our Home Form ,and their desire to prove pundits predicting we are the team to beat them wrong
Would take a draw as long as we then follow that up by beating The Rangers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
09-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Think our chance to beat them was the Parkhead game Everything was in our favour but we couldn't do it
They didn't get Stretched by Anderlecht so cant see them being as tired this time
Factor in our Home Form ,and their desire to prove pundits predicting we are the team to beat them wrong

Yeah i would agree with that.

They rested a few main players in that game plus a couple of others were injured.

I'm expecting them to be at full strength tomorrow plus they played Anderlecht on Tuesday, there's something wrong if they haven't recovered after 5 days. The game was also at home so they didn't have any travelling involved.

murray26
09-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately I think Celtic will be up for this.. can’t see us winning but you never know.

bingo70
09-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Everything was in our favour.......apart from the game being at Celtic Park.

I know our away form is better but getting a win at parkhead has always been very difficult, let alone against this current side.

Always got a better chance against them at home.

ValleyHibee
09-12-2017, 08:17 PM
They are a very good side but Hibs can beat them,their last two away games,1-0 v ross co who restricted them to not many chances and only lost too a leigh cracker and motherwell where they got a disputed pen. SJM and Dylan control the midfield and boyle's pace then we can WIN.

Lancs Harp
09-12-2017, 08:35 PM
A great day for Hibs tomorrow.

Part of my Hibs, Liverpool, United treble.

Believe fellas!

3pm
09-12-2017, 08:53 PM
It can be done but it’ll be exceptionally tough.

Albanian Hibs
09-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Its only Celtc ffs. Hibs to win comfortably 😀

Thecat23
09-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Hibs need to treat this with the same attitude as the derby. Sit in and respect them we lose simple as that. Press them and get in their faces we are more than capable of winning are drawing.

Lennon could be the key to winning this game imo, he knows how to handle big games and bring the best out the players. 2-1 Hibs.

Glory Lurker
09-12-2017, 09:26 PM
I’m at a loss with folk expecting to lose. Are we one of the best non-Celtc teams in the league? Without doubt, yes. If we should expect to lose this it pretty much means Celtc are going to go undefeated for the rest of time. I don’t think they will. They are losing tomorrow.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2017, 09:34 PM
I think we need to start quickly, get in their faces and make sure we win the majority of second ball. It's a big ask to win the game but we have the players to do it, if they all turn up on the day

number9dream
09-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Whittaker back in, Boyle to keep Tierney pinned back and support Stokes, Murray dropping out.
Our back three will all need to play blinders...

3pm
09-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Think the tactics will be similar to the semi final. Sit in. Go for it when it’s a bit later in the game.

Jones28
09-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Think the tactics will be similar to the semi final. Sit in. Go for it when it’s a bit later in the game.

Totally disagree, take it to them and get in their faces. We sat off too much and were too lethargic against them in the semi.

ValleyHibee
09-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Totally disagree, take it to them and get in their faces. We sat off too much and were too lethargic against them in the semi.
The performance from the 2nd half at parkhead when we took the game to them and caused them problems will do.

Tyler Durden
09-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Hibs need to treat this with the same attitude as the derby. Sit in and respect them we lose simple as that. Press them and get in their faces we are more than capable of winning are drawing.

Lennon could be the key to winning this game imo, he knows how to handle big games and bring the best out the players. 2-1 Hibs.

Whilst I pretty much agree, Lennon did make a mess of the selection in the semi and also the Aberdeen semi last year.

We need to be more aggressive from the off tomorrow and go for them.

I'd drop Stokes and go with the Boyle Murray Barker front 3.

shetlandhibee
09-12-2017, 11:11 PM
:top marks
Buzzing for tomorrow, Celtic are obviously favourites for very good reasons and in all likelihood we’ll struggle to avoid defeat......that said there’s a few reasons for us to be positive.

History tells us teams can struggle after midweek games, we’ve ran them close twice this season, there’s signs of them flagging in recent weeks, John Mcginn should have benefited from a week off......on top of that we’re a good side.

We’ll need to ride our luck at times, We’ll need to take any half chance we get and we’ll need Marciano to have a good game but I think we’ve got a chance.
this 100%

Bostonhibby
09-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Tight first 15, then get in their face. 2-1 Hibs.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Souter96Mac
09-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Let's get stuck into these overrated ****s.

The Harp
09-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Very unsure about the game. No doubt in my mind we're capable of beating them, but they are also capable of coming out on top.
To win the match I feel we'll have to score at least twice because imo there's little chance of us keeping a clean sheet against them.
If the whole team play at the top of their game and celtic are a wee bit complacement, we could do it. I'll go for 2-1 Hibs.

AZhibee
10-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Feel confident that Hibs can win. Think 🔥 Stokes will show up, and Gordon is not that great. Predict an early Brown booking.

HoboHarry
10-12-2017, 03:57 AM
I told my wife we were going to win 4-0 and she told me to put the wine back in the fridge because I'd clearly drunk enough for one night.

we are hibs
10-12-2017, 04:58 AM
People are making them out to be some kind of world class side. Obviously their unbeaten run is impressive but they've not been impressive recently and they're there for the taking if we can get our starting 11 right.

Man Down Under
10-12-2017, 06:08 AM
I told my wife we were going to win 4-0 and she told me to put the wine back in the fridge because I'd clearly drunk enough for one night.Sounds like you drank enough for 2 nights! It'll be close. Possibly another draw, we seem to play better away though.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Steve20
10-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Celtic are unfortunately too strong in this league. We will be doing something special to win today.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 06:36 AM
Whilst I pretty much agree, Lennon did make a mess of the selection in the semi and also the Aberdeen semi last year.

We need to be more aggressive from the off tomorrow and go for them.

I'd drop Stokes and go with the Boyle Murray Barker front 3.

He got the first half all wrong I agree, but second we were the better side by far. Dylan was outstanding that day I thought. Totally agree we have to be at them from the start 👍🏼

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Celtic are unfortunately too strong in this league. We will be doing something special to win today.

They are miles ahead of the rest, but if we can all perform like we did in the Hearts games we have a good chance. Us Motherwell and St. Johnstone all have ran them close here’s hoping we do it again today.

ian cruise
10-12-2017, 06:40 AM
I've always felt we'd be the ones to beat them, still feel that way today. Obviously it's a difficult task and the main thing for me is we perform well and avoid injuries & bookings. If we do win it'll be a clean sheet in my opinion, if Celtic score they'll not lose.

hibbydog
10-12-2017, 06:48 AM
I think we can bring the game to them, get in their faces and make a real contest out of it. ultimately though I fear that Celtic will have too much for us.

Buzzing for it though. The build up has been fun and an entertaining game followed by a few jars on Easter Road is in store...

Bring it on!

we are hibs
10-12-2017, 06:56 AM
I've always felt we'd be the ones to beat them, still feel that way today. Obviously it's a difficult task and the main thing for me is we perform well and avoid injuries & bookings. If we do win it'll be a clean sheet in my opinion, if Celtic score they'll not lose.

Not sure about your last line. We've scored two times against them twice this season. We can hurt them going forward no doubts about that and the defence, despite being suspect at times, are more than capable of keeping a clean sheet in a big game. We are going to need Efe to not mess about, Our fullbacks/wing backs to be extremely diciplined and know when going forward is on and when it's not. We can't afford for anyone to hide today, everyone needs to play there part and I include the fans in that as they'll no doubt have us on the ropes at times

Ronniekirk
10-12-2017, 07:07 AM
People are making them out to be some kind of world class side. Obviously their unbeaten run is impressive but they've not been impressive recently and they're there for the taking if we can get our starting 11 right.

No one has said they are World Class .The PSG and Bayern games showed the gulf in Class at that Level, and Rodgers has acknowledged that .
Domestically they won the Treble last Season ,and were unbeaten . They have continued that same determination and Team Spirit into this Season .Thats down to their Manager
They should of been most vulnerable during the Champions League Campaign ,but they have dug out results when it mattered
They have probably drawn more games than they would have liked , which hints at our best chance today ,unless we produce the form we showed v Hearts at home and they collectively have a bad day at the office
Strangely i am feeling optimistic this morning
But for me the Bigger games for us are the Huns and Sheep as we need to beat them both to put us back in contention for second place
Massive week for the Club in Sub Zero Temperatures .Heres hoping the other Teams Freeze ,while we are on Fire

HibbyDave
10-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Freezing fog and current temperature Minus 6 degrees! Hope the undersoil heating has been on.

cad
10-12-2017, 07:16 AM
If Im honest I`d take a draw having said that we are the only side to put two past them in the league it's a tough one but someone has to beat them why not us .
" Mon the cabbage":flag::flag:

Sir David Gray
10-12-2017, 07:17 AM

Celtic have only lost 10 goals so far this season in domestic competitions and we have scored 4 of them.

Whilst I don't expect them to be scared of playing us, I think they know that they'll be given a game this afternoon and probably the hardest game they have had so far this season. I think Celtic will have to score at least twice to win today and whilst it's certainly not beyond them to do that, I do think we can hurt them.

bingo70
10-12-2017, 07:19 AM
It’s easy to say we should take the game to them and be aggressive from the off but there’s a balance to be had.

They’re a good side and if we chase the ball down in unnnecessary areas all it takes is a few passes and they’ve taken a few of our players out the equation. It needs to be measured aggression at the right time and in the right areas, unfortunately that means for spells we will probably sit too deep.

Imo to get a result today it’ll mean keeping it tight for as long as possible and hitting them on the break, Barker and Boyle could be vital.

hibsbollah
10-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Just been for a wee cycle and its-5degrees:shocked: it won't get above zero today. Wrap up warm.

Tom Hart RIP
10-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Noticed on the website that several members of the 1972 League Cup (and 7-0) team will do the half time draw. It doesn't mention my all time favourite the great Jimmy O'Rourke. Anyone know if he is OK?

eastcoasthibby
10-12-2017, 07:51 AM
I cant see us not conceding against them, because during the course of every game we make stupid mistakes whether it be marciano not deciding about coming or not for crossballs our defenders switching.off ..so what it comes down to is limiting their chances and us taking our chances not squandering them as usual. ...football wise in the midfield we can match them and better man for man on our day ... its going to be a tough afternoon regardless !! If we focus and get a nit of luck we can do it..

PeeJay
10-12-2017, 09:11 AM
On any given day Celtic can be beaten by most teams in Scotland, mind you, most teams unfortunately fail to do so - Today, we need to be focussed from the start, physically and mentally - we shouldn't make silly mistakes and concede dumb goals, we should take the chances we will get: failure to do so will be punished - Convinced this decent Hibs team has a chance to take 3 points, somebody's got to put an end to this silly record, might as well be us ... 2-1 Hibs :greengrin

Billy Whizz
10-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Jesus it’s cold today

snooky
10-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Neil should show the team the Invincibles playing PSG and let them see how invincible they really are. :wink:

Northernhibee
10-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Martin Boyle will be vital to turn defence into attack quickly. I'd like us to go 4-3-3 and use Barker and Boyle. Murray up front.

Gmack7
10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Martin Boyle will be vital to turn defence into attack quickly. I'd like us to go 4-3-3 and use Barker and Boyle. Murray up front.

agreed
433 with the ball Boyle and barker dropping back when they've got it into a 451

Hibrandenburg
10-12-2017, 09:50 AM
1-3 Celtic sadly.

I think they’ll know they are in for a game and maybe feel they have a wee point to prove and be that clinical way they can be. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them burst out the traps to try and shut us up early doors and get their own fans going.

If we are going to get anything then we simply can’t gift them goals like we have previously. Hopefully we give another good account of ourselves and I hope I’m proved well and truly wrong with my prediction.

That's where I am. If we get anything from the game today it will be a welcome bonus.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
It’s easy to say we should take the game to them and be aggressive from the off but there’s a balance to be had.

They’re a good side and if we chase the ball down in unnnecessary areas all it takes is a few passes and they’ve taken a few of our players out the equation. It needs to be measured aggression at the right time and in the right areas, unfortunately that means for spells we will probably sit too deep.

Imo to get a result today it’ll mean keeping it tight for as long as possible and hitting them on the break, Barker and Boyle could be vital.

We tried to keep it tight and hit on the break in the first half of the semi final and got a bit of a roasting. Give Celtic to much of the ball you start to chase shadows. I think we will come out in their faces that force mistakes and we’ve proved that.

Whatever happens I think it’ll be a good game.

spike220
10-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Just been for a wee cycle and its-5degrees:shocked: it won't get above zero today. Wrap up warm.

Was that you in the one piece lycra that cut across me on the bridges??