PDA

View Full Version : League Cup 1972

ValleyHibee
09-12-2017, 02:43 AM
45 years ago,The same players that DESTROYED hertz a few weeks later,i was 3yo but brought up by my Dad reciting that team,KING PADDY & Jimmy O'Rourke the scorers,sheer class from Paddy for the first goal and a fabulous cross for the second,the first cup win for any living Hibees,what are your memories from that wonderful day?https://youtu.be/xSaY75jHC-4

iwasthere1972
09-12-2017, 04:31 AM
Great day.

I was there. :aok:

Alfiembra
09-12-2017, 05:28 AM
I was 15 and remember that there was little or no segregation of fans and my Dad and I were standing in amongst as many Celtic fans as there were Hibees. There was no animosity though and after the game there was a lot of hand shakes and well done’s from their supporters. As for the game can only remember that I never felt at any time that Hibs were in any way overawed by the occasion and totally controlled the game. Still got the original EN poster of the win.

HibbyDave
09-12-2017, 06:34 AM
I was there! Amazing scenes outside what was The North British Hotel.

lapsedhibee
09-12-2017, 06:38 AM
I was 15 and remember that there was little or no segregation of fans and my Dad and I were standing in amongst as many Celtic fans as there were Hibees. There was no animosity though and after the game there was a lot of hand shakes and well done’s from their supporters. As for the game can only remember that I never felt at any time that Hibs were in any way overawed by the occasion and totally controlled the game. Still got the original EN poster of the win.

Yep, a tremendous contrast to the previous Hampden outing.

One Day
09-12-2017, 06:56 AM

There were a quite few angry celtic fans outside looking for trouble. Typical of celtic at the time as long as they were beating us we were all brothers together but beat them back and we were a shower of orange b's

ieastherein1973
09-12-2017, 07:15 AM
I
What s fantastic day, was there with my Grandfather I was 11 and we went through on the train , remember being on his shoulders outside the North British Hotel for the parade with a large flag. Quite remarkable that my Grandfather was a jambo but went to Easter Road on alternative Saturday's, my father had no interest in football and my Grandfather too me to all the games (Hibs of course as I already began my intense dislike of our neighbours)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
09-12-2017, 07:40 AM
That brought back happy memories. I then watched the 0-7 game. I spotted an interesting advertising board behind the goal we scored 5 in. It was for "Queen Anne" something or other (whisky?). I don't care what anyone else thinks, I am taking it as an omen! 😀

Jack
09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
That's me and my sister at the front.

Halmyre Hibee
09-12-2017, 08:21 AM
My 13th birthday that day best ever present.
:flag::flag::flag:

CentreLine
09-12-2017, 08:24 AM
I was representing my school in the Evening News Penalty Prize competition at half time at Hearts v Kilmarnock, Tynecastle. Changing rooms in the old stand were already a dump by the way. Got pelted with coins as I was wearing my Hibs gear.
Managed to make it to the North British to see the cup paraded though
Following Saturday saw it paraded again at our 8-1 win over Ayr then of course was back at Tynecastle for the greatest game in history.
Great time to be a Hibee but will always regret missing that final. Then in February 2015 I arrange a holiday for May 2016. So I’m in Alaska watching on my ctelephone when we win the Scottish Cup. Ah well ��
But this is also a very good time to be a Hibee ��

Roxyhibee
09-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Put plenty on about this day before but here's a couple of new things that happened. I was 14. Had been at 6-2 and 6-1, so not expecting a victory despite the tremendous 5-3 Dryborough in the summer.

Me, my dad and uncle were right in the middle of a Celtic crowd in the lower North. They were quite a mouthy pissed shower. I was quite scared.

Hibs started to play well and towards half time my dad shouted "cmon Hibs, we can win this!"
A Celtic fan behind us shouted "aye, my f***in ar*e.!"
Uncle turns rounds and looks at him, saying "what's wrong with your ar*e then pal..?" I was shaking a bit and everything went quiet.. boy never came back at him..

Second half was constant thrills and at the final whistle, the Celtic boy and his pals all came round us and shook all our hands. What a day. Think I might have been greetin a bit with joy - and relief they weren't going to batter my dad and uncle.!

A wee addition to that day - they went to The Barnton I think (or would it be The Maybury..?) for a pint and I was left in the car with my programme, juice and crisps. Couldnt have been happier. I looked out the window to see the team bus going by - i opened the car door and waved at them. Then ran into the pub excitedly to tell my dad and uncle.

Theyre like "aye, aye, that's good - get back into the car, we'll be oot in 10 minutes.."

So many great memories. Little did I know then, the greatest game in history was just 3 weeks away..

WoreTheGreen
09-12-2017, 09:44 AM
I wes there in the stand opposite the main stand in that stupid wee added bit on the roof. Great performance and day

Feed McGraw
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Great day, remember getting a bit worried when they got a goal back but it was a well deserved win, what a team they were !

Bostonhibby
09-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Great day, I was there but it was a bit of a blur, had been at the 6-1 cup defeat with my Hearts supporting uncle and went to this one on a coach with my good Hibby cousin my abiding feeling was that we never looked like losing. I remember being in a social club somewhere around Glasgow before the game and there were celtc supporters in it as well. No real memories of afterwards at all apart from the bus back being lively!

penihibs
09-12-2017, 10:59 AM
I was representing my school in the Evening News Penalty Prize competition at half time at Hearts v Kilmarnock, Tynecastle. Changing rooms in the old stand were already a dump by the way. Got pelted with coins as I was wearing my Hibs gear.
Managed to make it to the North British to see the cup paraded though
Following Saturday saw it paraded again at our 8-0 win over Ayr then of course was back at Tynecastle for the greatest game in history.
Great time to be a Hibee but will always regret missing that final. Then in February 2015 I arrange a holiday for May 2016. So I’m in Alaska watching on my ctelephone when we win the Scottish Cup. Ah well 😢
But this is also a very good time to be a Hibee 😀
Did we not beat Ayr 8-1 same seven difference as the **** game.
Sure attendance against Ayr was around 12,000 or so it, shows how good the crowds are now.

CentreLine
09-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Did we not beat Ayr 8-1 same seven difference as the **** game.
Sure attendance against Ayr was around 12,000 or so it, shows how good the crowds are now.

Yes you are correct - amendment made. We scored our 100th goal of the season in all competitions that day. If I remember correctly it was the 5th but we went on to make that 103 on the day :flag:

Lancs Harp
09-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Whats clear from the old footage is that if tomorrows match was played in black and white there wouldn't be a colour clash. :wink:

southsider
09-12-2017, 12:23 PM
I wes there in the stand opposite the main stand in that stupid wee added bit on the roof. Great performance and day

A lot of Hibs fans in that stand and great song.

hhibs
09-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Great day.

I was there. :aok:

Me too ! Seem to remember it was pouring down and the Hibs fans singing "Singing in the Rain"

What a day,woke up in a phone box in the South of Glasgow at 3am after attending some party
...................I think. :confused::greengrin

theonlywayisup
09-12-2017, 05:59 PM
From the Hibs website:

1972 League Cup Winning Team
45 years ago, Hibernian defeated Celtic 2-1 at Hampden Park in the final of the League Cup in what is now a legendary team.

Former players Jim Herriot, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Jim Black, Alex Cropley, Pat Stanton, and Alex Edwards will be joined by the team’s Trainer John Fraser at half-time on the pitch where they will make the Happy Hibee Half-Time draw.

Please show your appreciation for the legends of the 1972 victory when they take to the field at the interval.

:flag::flag::flag:

WoreTheGreen
09-12-2017, 06:09 PM
No wee jimmy o

ancient hibee
09-12-2017, 06:17 PM
When the match started Johnstone was on the left wing.Right then I felt confident we would win because clearly Stein was frightened about the way Brownlie could run riot and wanted Johnstone to occupy him.I thought that Stein was showing weakness in worrying about Hibs,most unlike him.Brownlie played as usual and Johnstone had no influence on the game.

theonlywayisup
09-12-2017, 06:32 PM
That's me and my sister at the front.

Great scenes - which one are you? The guy with the scarf or the younger boy just in front.

theonlywayisup
09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
45 years ago,The same players that DESTROYED hertz a few weeks later,i was 3yo but brought up by my Dad reciting that team,KING PADDY & Jimmy O'Rourke the scorers,sheer class from Paddy for the first goal and a fabulous cross for the second,the first cup win for any living Hibees,what are your memories from that wonderful day?https://youtu.be/xSaY75jHC-4

Before my time - great to watch.

How good was Pat Stanton in that clip? Never reall saw him play, so very impressed.

brog
09-12-2017, 06:45 PM
There were a quite few angry celtic fans outside looking for trouble. Typical of celtic at the time as long as they were beating us we were all brothers together but beat them back and we were a shower of orange b's

This 100%. After the 6-1:game they were queuing up to tell us "how good use wer" in their usual patronising fashion. After our victory they just wanted to beat us up. We were walking behind the old North Stand after the game & 2 young Hibs lads were dancing & celebrating in front of us. We spotted a group of Celtc fans intent on inflicting damage on these guys. We crept up behind them & ahem, persuaded them otherwise. They ran away.. Celtc fans only redeeming virtue is that they're not The Rangers fans. .

WoreTheGreen
09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Before my time - great to watch.

How good was Pat Stanton in that clip? Never reall saw him play, so very impressed.

Thanks for that was at the game very young but we played them of the parkl long live the king. PS

One Day
09-12-2017, 07:15 PM
This 100%. After the 6-1:game they were queuing up to tell us "how good use wer" in their usual patronising fashion. After our victory they just wanted to beat us up. We were walking behind the old North Stand after the game & 2 young Hibs lads were dancing & celebrating in front of us. We spotted a group of Celtc fans intent on inflicting damage on these guys. We crept up behind them & ahem, persuaded them otherwise. They ran away.. Celtc fans only redeeming virtue is that they're not The Rangers fans. .

I was with a group of pals all 14/15 years old on older celtic fan went to shake my pals hand and tried to put the nut on him.

Deansy
09-12-2017, 07:19 PM
My memories of that game is a can of 'Pale Ale' landing at my feet, thrown by Septic-fans - went to pick it up to throw it back until my dad said 'Leave it - it's warm - see the steam coming from it !!' It was my first introduction to Weegie-fans being slightly further down the evolutionary-trail than normal folk !. Also remember the quagmire that was laughingly called the 'Hampden Car-park' - at 10//11 years old I seriously thought it was quick-sand, the mud really sucked at your feet !. My Aunty went mental at my cousin Janis who'd worn her brand-new 'Prince Of Wales' checked-trousers for the occasion - the mud had crept up to knee-level and ruined the material !

snooky
09-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Whats clear from the old footage is that if tomorrows match was played in black and white there wouldn't be a colour clash. :wink:

I was at that final too. Paddy was IMMENSE that day, as were the rest of the Tornados of course.

Anecdote: Around that time, I remember one commenter saying something like," For those of you with back & white TV's, Dundee are the team in blue.". (I can't remember which team it was tbh).

The Harp
09-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Undoubtedly one of my fav. memories of following the Hibees. Had seen us lift the Summer Cup in Aberdeen in '64 and the 1st Drybrough Cup earlier in '72, but this was a major honour.
We were in the old Hampden main stand (west section) which was packed with Hibees. Can remember it being one of the earliest games where we were on our feet for the entire game. Amazing celebratory scenes at the end and when we arrived back in Edinburgh. Even today, any time I pass the Balmoral Hotel, my mind goes back to the sight of wee Jimmy O. standing on the ledge of the 1st floor balcony, holding the cup aloft (it was the N.B. in those days).
It was a wonderful day/night to be a Hibee, only topped by a certain event on 21/05/2016.