PDA

View Full Version : Niall McGinn

SteveHFC
07-12-2017, 08:52 AM
MK Dons are keen on a move for former Aberdeen forward Niall McGinn, who is a free agent after an unsuccessful stint in South Korea, with Hibs, Hearts and the Pittodrie club all interested in the 30-year-old Northern Ireland international. (Daily Express, print edition)

Would be a good signing.

Souter96Mac
07-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Would take him. Wouldn't mind also trying to see about Hayes on loan.

hibsbollah
07-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Would fit right into the Kris Commons role.

Aldo
07-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Not a chance as my Yam chums reckon it’s the mega tiny park he’s destined for! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
07-12-2017, 09:06 AM
He should ask Laugherty how his move to the Galacticos turned out.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Aberdeen being manager less might help us with this one.

Souter96Mac
07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Aberdeen being manager less might help us with this one.

Could follow McInnes to the Huns?

CorrieHibs
07-12-2017, 11:17 AM
He'll go with whoever offers him the most money.

Would love if it was us.

Basildon Hibs
07-12-2017, 11:23 AM
It's strikers we need - guys who can stick the ball in the net on a consistent basis...

Turning the amount of chances we make into goals would be very pleasing ...:wink:

Firestarter
07-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Good player our level. Live cup match at pbs following our brilliant home support may give us financial advantage to do this one. Can't see him going to Aberdeen and why would he want to join a club facing a relegation battle and play in turd colour?

bigwheel
07-12-2017, 11:27 AM
He’ll go to where he will get the best financial deal. Can’t see us being it

Firestarter
07-12-2017, 11:51 AM
He’ll go to where he will get the best financial deal. Can’t see us being it

Who will pay more in Scotland? Neilson will be punted from MK soon enough and he knows/played under Lennon before. Good match for someone like him.

bigwheel
07-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Who will pay more in Scotland? Neilson will be punted from MK soon enough and he knows/played under Lennon before. Good match for someone like him.

Aberdeen and Hearts will both pay
more than us Dons will have funds and Hearts are desperate for a McGinn type player..they will dig deep

ancient hibee
07-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Why will MKD sack Neilson? Mid table and as near the playoff places as the relegation places.

Since90+2
07-12-2017, 12:33 PM
He's a very good player (relative to other players in Scotland) but i'm not sure he is the type of player we need especially considering he will be on a big wage. Boyle ,Barker and Swanson all play a similar role and I would reckon a centre forward is more of a priority in the window.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2017, 12:53 PM
He's a very good player (relative to other players in Scotland) but i'm not sure he is the type of player we need especially considering he will be on a big wage. Boyle ,Barker and Swanson all play a similar role and I would reckon a centre forward is more of a priority in the window.

Swanson hasn’t kicked a ball this season and Barker is still on zero goals.

Since90+2
07-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Danny has had alot to deal with both on and off the park this season but if he gets fully fit for 2018 he can make a big impact. Barker has been a decent signing and I suspect someone who we might get the best out of when teams attack us.

McGinn is a good player and I wont be unhappy if he signs I just think the priority is a centre forward.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Danny has had alot to deal with both on and off the park this season but if he gets fully fit for 2018 he can make a big impact. Barker has been a decent signing and I suspect someone who we might get the best out of when teams attack us.

McGinn is a good player and I wont be unhappy if he signs I just think the priority is a centre forward.

I agree on the last point. Centre forward should be the priority.

Thecat23
07-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Swanson hasn’t kicked a ball this season and Barker is still on zero goals.

I think Danny should go on loan, help kick start his season.

Firestarter
07-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Why will MKD sack Neilson? Mid table and as near the playoff places as the relegation places.

They've been ***** this season. 4 off relegation 11 off the playoffs.

Firestarter
07-12-2017, 01:13 PM
more than us Dons will have funds and Hearts are desperate for a McGinn type player..they will dig deep

I don't see how they two clubs will pay more to be honest. Especially should Super John go.

MB62
08-12-2017, 10:57 AM

I don't know what type of player he is, and whilst I wouldn't disagree about needing a proven goal scoring striker, I believe our problems lie more with the lack of a goal scoring midfield player. As good as SJM & Dylan are on the ball, they just do not contribute enough to the goals for column (in Dylan's case, not at all).
Every team will go through a period where their strikers are not scoring, this where the midfield, and others, need to be contributing, it is probably our main weakness.

MyJo
08-12-2017, 11:58 AM

He is a quality player though. Once he is back up to speed it will be like having a new signing and i would like to have him available to us for the rest of the season rather than off playing elsewhere.

Stokesy's on fire
09-12-2017, 10:28 AM
I hope Hibernian do move in for him. Good player and i think he would fit in well with this Hibs team.

jacomo
09-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Do you think that would help?

I think he just needs to put his issues aside and focus on playing for the OGs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Would fit right into the Kris Commons role.

Hibs TV are ok for pundits?

southsider
09-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Hertz won't they are brassic. No money for praise 2 (internals) of stand.

TheHarpy76
10-12-2017, 07:37 AM

McGinn is better than Boyle,Barker and Swanson so I would certainly take someone who I have no doubt would improve us.

kevo1875
10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Mcginn is sitting in west stand today

LancsHibs
10-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Mcginn is sitting in west stand today

Get him signed👍

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Talking about him on Sportsound now, I reckon he’ll be with us in January :thumbsup:

Heisenberg
10-12-2017, 02:00 PM
He’s a Celtc fan. Probably nothing further in it. He’d be a good signing though and an improvement on Barker.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Do you think that would help?

I think he just needs to put his issues aside and focus on playing for the OGs.

I honesty don’t know. He needs to get back playing though and get his confidence back. Not sure he’d make our starting 11 now. I rate him btw just think he’s tried to hard when he’s got the chances and if he can chill a bit he’d be a very good player for us.

eastcoasthibby
10-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Said jt at the start of the season we need more options for the wide and forward areas, Boyle has been playing well,but MCGinn is a quality player and would add further strength and competition, definitely would take him.

Deansy
10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Talking about him on Sportsound now, I reckon he’ll be with us in January :thumbsup:

Think Michael Stewart was hinting at this - hope so, quality player !

Ozyhibby
10-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Niall McGinn in the left wing would be perfect for us. Make it happen Hibs.

Heisenberg
10-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Lennon has apparently admitted his interest in signing McGinn (bottom of the article)

https://t.co/hgQSbNHlhG?amp=1

Ozyhibby
10-12-2017, 03:35 PM
STV saying Lennon confirmed at the end of the game we are trying to sign him.

Souter96Mac
10-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Would be a quality signing.

Leith Green
10-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Would be an excellent addition to the left wing , quick skillfull and can score goals.. Hopefully we can get it done nice and early 😁

Billy Whizz
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Would be an excellent addition to the left wing , quick skillfull and can score goals.. Hopefully we can get it done nice and early 😁

Thought he played on the right at Aberdeen?

Aldo
10-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Yams I know are adamant that he will sign for them over us as they are without a doubt a better quality side! 🤣🤣

Eyrie
10-12-2017, 03:51 PM
STV saying Lennon confirmed at the end of the game we are trying to sign him.

Today was a good game for him to be at. He had to be impressed by how we played which will help persuade him if the money is reasonable.

Thecat23
10-12-2017, 03:51 PM
If Lennon has said we want him I would imagine they have spoke a few times now. Hearts will be raging if he joins us.

Leith Green
10-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Thought he played on the right at Aberdeen?

Jonny hayes on the right and niall mcginn on the left i thought

Heisenberg
10-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Meanwhile, Lennon confirmed he’s keen on former Celtic and Aberdeen frontman Niall McGinn, who was a guest of the club yesterday after returning from a troubled spell in South Korea.

He said: “We’ve expressed an interest, that’s as far as it’s gone. He was invited along to watch the game and hopefully he’ll be pleased with what he saw.”

BegbieHSC
10-12-2017, 04:41 PM
There's a jambo taxi driver spitting on Kickback that apparently McGinn was there to see the game, cause he's signing for us :wink::wink::wink:.

Seemingly he is heading back to Belfast now, but feel the seethe!

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173332-niall-mcginn/&page=10

neil7908
10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
McGinn would be excellent for us. Barker flatters to deceive far too often and doesn't create enough.

We'd still be short of a actual striker but maybe Shaw can take up that role.

Ozyhibby
10-12-2017, 04:57 PM
McGinn would be excellent for us. Barker flatters to deceive far too often and doesn't create enough.

We'd still be short of a actual striker but maybe Shaw can take up that role.

There is def potential with Barker but he needs a few weeks out. He is not producing enough and is still on zero goals.

brog
10-12-2017, 05:21 PM
There's also a Yam on Twitter who says he spoke to McGinn & asked him to confirm he was joining them. His reply supposedly was , sorry I'm going to the other side of the city. I'm not sure he'd be a 1st choice but you can't have too much quality.

KWJ
10-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Is he good at set pieces, think that's what we're missing the most. Get a player that is good enough to fit into the team but can take all our free kicks and whip in a corner.

Souter96Mac
10-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Is there anything stopping us signing him before January? Is he a free agent, or still attached to a club?

J-C
10-12-2017, 07:22 PM
There's also a Yam on Twitter who says he spoke to McGinn & asked him to confirm he was joining them. His reply supposedly was , sorry I'm going to the other side of the city. I'm not sure he'd be a 1st choice but you can't have too much quality.

Sign McGinn and send Barker back to Man City, I'd be happy with that.

Ozyhibby
10-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Sign McGinn and send Barker back to Man City, I'd be happy with that.

Why send him back? Barker has potential and would be great cover.

J-C
10-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Why send him back? Barker has potential and would be great cover.

Just not a fan mate, slightly better today with his tracking back in the 1st half but vanished again in that department in the 2nd, one very good run in the 2nd but for me flatters to deceive, looks the part without any real end product.

Leith Green
10-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Just not a fan mate, slightly better today with his tracking back in the 1st half but vanished again in that department in the 2nd, one very good run in the 2nd but for me flatters to deceive, looks the part without any real end product.

He has an outstanding game here and there and huffs and puffs the games in between. That is what you are going to get with a young loanee, id much rather see us give our own young players the chance

Eyrie
10-12-2017, 08:31 PM

You're seeing the same from Barker that I am.

Johnny Clash
10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
There is def potential with Barker but he needs a few weeks out. He is not producing enough and is still on zero goals.

Barker produces flashes of brilliance then disappears. He’s gone on some very exciting runs and can skin defenders at ease. Hope he grabs a goal soon then his confidence will increase.,

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Anyone know if Niall McGinn takes free kicks and corners? We badly need improvement in this area. John McGinn is useless at them.

hibbysam
11-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Barker produces flashes of brilliance then disappears. He’s gone on some very exciting runs and can skin defenders at ease. Hope he grabs a goal soon then his confidence will increase.,

He’s a young winger, flashes of brilliance is exactly what we’re going to get.

3pm
11-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Anyone know if Niall McGinn takes free kicks and corners? We badly need improvement in this area. John McGinn is useless at them.

Henderson isn’t.

Spudster
11-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Used to take them for Aberdeen

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Henderson isn’t.

Henderson appears happy to sit in the stand at Celtic unfortunately.

Green Badger
11-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Henderson appears happy to sit in the stand at Celtic unfortunately.

That might change in January?

leither17
11-12-2017, 07:50 AM

We did score from a Mcginn corner yesterday but I agree the floated ball he tries are a waste

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 07:56 AM
That might change in January?

18 months without any first team football at his age mean he is now an unknown quantity again. Just not sure if he has the desire. He should have been making it clear in the summer he needed to leave, instead of getting ready for another year watching Celtic.

J-C
11-12-2017, 08:09 AM

IIRC he is a very good dead ball player, he plays in the same position as Barker but has an end product.

https://youtu.be/-4-KUeVsmhM?t=12

https://youtu.be/R46QtT-GJH4?t=12

https://youtu.be/eZcRVpfS8WA?t=26

https://youtu.be/M0RcGCVreV8?t=230

jacomo
11-12-2017, 09:22 AM
So according to the rumour mill, we might lose a McGinn and gain a McGinn in January?

If there's no overlap new McGinn could inherit Super John McGinn's shirt number, so anyone with a replica shirt can still wear it with pride.

FWIW I would love SJM to stay longer.

LEaston87
11-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Fontaine is our biggest threat from a corner., hence why we've took so many short corners recently. The players deserve credit for scoring that first goal from a set piece, but the rest of our set pieces were a waste today. We've not had a proper dead ball taker since Keatings

Edinburgh Green
11-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Fontaine is our biggest threat from a corner., hence why we've took so many short corners recently. The players deserve credit for scoring that first goal from a set piece, but the rest of our set pieces were a waste today. We've not had a proper dead ball taker since Keatings

I’ve always thought Fontaine was rotten at corners. He always seems to head it over the bar when he connects. In recent years our best threats at corners are/were Porteous and Forster.

Diclonius
11-12-2017, 11:07 AM
This'll be a real test of whether or not Hearts truly have money after building their super stand. I suspect both of us will offer him near the top of our payscale.

Since90+2
11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Fontaine does seem to get in good positions in the box but as another poster said always seems to miss from about 6 yards out. He has only scored 11 goals in 436 career appearances so I would not say he is a particularly big miss when it comes to danger from set pieces.

As a comparison McGregor has scored 23 in 338 appearances, Hanlon has 19 in 328 and Porteuos already has 5 in 31 appearances.

hibees 7062
11-12-2017, 11:19 AM
So according to the rumour mill, we might lose a McGinn and gain a McGinn in January?

If there's no overlap new McGinn could inherit Super John McGinn's shirt number, so anyone with a replica shirt can still wear it with pride.

FWIW I would love SJM to stay longer.

We could sign him now . He's a free agent

LNHibs
11-12-2017, 11:24 AM
18 months without any first team football at his age mean he is now an unknown quantity again. Just not sure if he has the desire. He should have been making it clear in the summer he needed to leave, instead of getting ready for another year watching Celtic.

Incorrect he wanted hibs move but hibs only wanted him if Mcginn was leaving

Elephant Stone
11-12-2017, 11:30 AM

He's 21 years old, has played over 80 games for Celtic, Hibs and Rosenborg and is a current Scotland under 21 international :tee hee:

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 11:40 AM
He's 21 years old, has played over 80 games for Celtic, Hibs and Rosenborg and is a current Scotland under 21 international :tee hee:

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him and want us to sign him. I just have more reservations now than I did in the summer. With his talent he should have a lot more than 80 games under his belt.

CapitalGreen
11-12-2017, 11:44 AM
We could sign him now . He's a free agent

We can sign a player whenever we want, we can't register him until January however.

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Fontaine has scored from about 2 corners in 3 years. Excellent defender but rank rotten up the other end.

AndyM_1875
11-12-2017, 12:22 PM

We've tried to get him in two transfer windows and each time Celtc were their usual awkward and bloody minded selves, content to see a talented young player rot in the stands rather than letting them go and play elsewhere. Henderson has been horribly mismanaged by Celtc IMHO and has no future at Parkhead with his contract up in the summer.

ian cruise
11-12-2017, 12:23 PM
He’s a young winger, flashes of brilliance is exactly what we’re going to get.

I agree that as a young winger he's going to be inconsistent. I think if we're going to challenge for second we should be prepared to sub him a little quicker when it's obvious it's not going to be his day. Yesterday he was getting forward but there was all too often no useful end product unfortunately. He was either heading into a crowd of people or holding on to the ball too long.

If he was our player I'd say fair enough as we need to develop him, a bit like we are with Shaw, but there's every chance we may not see him again after this season so we need to look after our own interests. If we get the chance to get a strong left winger, be it McGinn or someone else, I'd take it and use Barker as a sub or rotational player.

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 12:26 PM
I agree that as a young winger he's going to be inconsistent. I think if we're going to challenge for second we should be prepared to sub him a little quicker when it's obvious it's not going to be his day. Yesterday he was getting forward but there was all too often no useful end product unfortunately. He was either heading into a crowd of people or holding on to the ball too long.

If he was our player I'd say fair enough as we need to develop him, a bit like we are with Shaw, but there's every chance we may not see him again after this season so we need to look after our own interests. If we get the chance to get a strong left winger, be it McGinn or someone else, I'd take it and use Barker as a sub or rotational player.

100% agree. Good cover but if we can get McGinn we have to take him.

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 12:30 PM
We can sign a player whenever we want, we can't register him until January however.

I would make the offer to sign him now, put him up in a nice wee flat and make him feel welcome. Unless he's getting paid off from the South Koreans and it will effect that.

IlDiavola
11-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Let's hope we get Niall.

If for no other reason than to annoy the Jumbos :greengrin

adhibs
11-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Is mcginn more an out and out winger, or able to play on left of a midfield four?

The_Horde
11-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Sure he's more of a Riordan/Stokes type. Maybe with a bit more defensive graft.

TrinityHibs
11-12-2017, 02:43 PM
I’ve always thought Fontaine was rotten at corners. He always seems to head it over the bar when he connects. In recent years our best threats at corners are/were Porteous and Forster.

I am pretty sure Sir David Gray and Stokesie offered an occasional threat at corners.:flag::flag:

BSEJVT
11-12-2017, 02:48 PM

I think everyone expects inconsistency with a winger.

Bigger concern for me is the lack of end product, let alone goals.

He can beat folk for fun on his game but with very limited end product what's the point?

Far too often when he does go past people the final ball isn't even played into good areas or is overhit, if the balls were giving the strikers a chance I would settle for that, let alone setting up goals.

I am not in the send back to Manchester camp yet as he has potential but for the good of his own career he needs to start delivering.

Football is littered with next great things overtaken and left far behind their peers and succeeding age groups

Elephant Stone
11-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Sure he's more of a Riordan/Stokes type. Maybe with a bit more defensive graft.

Very similar to Riordan I reckon :agree:

Johnny_Leith
11-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Barker's only going to get better as the season goes on. Still young and learning the game and has shown pace and ability.

Much like Boyler his end product and awareness will develop and, neck on the line here, by the 'crunch' part of the season I'm going to predict well have seen more assists and some goals to boot.

Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?

ekhibee
11-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Jonny hayes on the right and niall mcginn on the left i thought
Nope, other way round.

ekhibee
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
IIRC he is a very good dead ball player, he plays in the same position as Barker but has an end product.

https://youtu.be/-4-KUeVsmhM?t=12

https://youtu.be/R46QtT-GJH4?t=12

https://youtu.be/eZcRVpfS8WA?t=26

https://youtu.be/M0RcGCVreV8?t=230
No he doesn't play the same position as Barker, he's a right winger, Hayes played on the left. Always.

Souter96Mac
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't mind taking Hayes off celtic too tbh. Another wasted talent bench warming

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 04:59 PM
No he doesn't play the same position as Barker, he's a right winger, Hayes played on the left. Always.

Most of those clips show him playing on the left. I think it’s only because McInnes likes to play with inverted wingers he sometimes played on the right.
Boyle and Barker have occasionally swapped wings this season during games.

ekhibee
11-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Most of those clips show him playing on the left. I think it’s only because McInnes likes to play with inverted wingers he sometimes played on the right.
Boyle and Barker have occasionally swapped wings this season during games.

He certainly played most of his games on the left for Celtic (not sure if he really played that many games for them) but always played on the right for Aberdeen, Hayes is very left-sided by the looks of it.

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2017, 05:17 PM
McGinn plays on the left. Started out central for them but ended up on the left

Iggy Pope
11-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Al this left / right stuff would be better on the Israel flag thread. It's nearly as interesting.

Albanian Hibs
11-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Al this left / right stuff would be better on the Israel flag thread. It's nearly as interesting.

😂

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Agreed. Especially when, as this line up shows, he clearly always plays on the right

calumhibee1
11-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Barker's only going to get better as the season goes on. Still young and learning the game and has shown pace and ability.

Much like Boyler his end product and awareness will develop and, neck on the line here, by the 'crunch' part of the season I'm going to predict well have seen more assists and some goals to boot.

Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?

Agree. Think people are being overly critical of him.

BarneyHibby
11-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?Three. Motherwell at home (2nd goal), hearts and Hamilton. https://www.transfermarkt.de/brandon-barker/leistungsdaten/spieler/214927

Diclonius
11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Agreed. Especially when, as this line up shows, he clearly always plays on the right

Hahahahaha

Ozyhibby
11-12-2017, 07:08 PM

[emoji23][emoji23]

hibbysam
11-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't mind taking Hayes off celtic too tbh. Another wasted talent bench warming

Hardly a ‘wasted talent’. The guy is 30 years old and knew his concession would be limited but is getting one big payday before his career comes to an end. He wouldn’t have made a lot of money previously so who can blame him warming the bench for a bucketload of cash.

Unseen work
11-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Last couple of seasons he has played on the right with Hayes on the left.

He does float about now and again and pop up in different areas but he certainly played mainly right wing for dons.

Souter96Mac
11-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Hardly a ‘wasted talent’. The guy is 30 years old and knew his concession would be limited but is getting one big payday before his career comes to an end. He wouldn’t have made a lot of money previously so who can blame him warming the bench for a bucketload of cash.
Didn't realise how old he was, still another good player celtic have snapped up and benched though.

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2017, 09:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6nGB5q4S8

Seems to do a lot of cutting in from the left for someone who plays on the right "every time"

Firestarter
11-12-2017, 10:01 PM

We are more than a match for Celtic and they can stop them playing for us against them so if Rodgers is sensible he would loan us Hayes to shop window him for the summer if Lennon wished to drop an ever improving more disciplined Brandon Barker who is improving all aspect of his game each week and was a Scott Brown (aye he's done) 50 yard run back from skinning a Swedish international and setting up a tap in for Stokesy yesterday. I never thought I would say it either but if we have a long term choice of hendo or Barker I would go with - Henderson. I'm too weak though. Barker is the real deal. So is Liam's

Stan the Man
12-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Barker is an interesting one.

His assist against Hamilton was excellent and his run on Sunday to get us up the park and win the corner that led to the 1st goal was pivotal in the game.

100% agree he needs to be involved more and add more steel though.

theonlywayisup
12-12-2017, 07:44 AM
My take on the Barker situation and comparison with Boyle.

When Boyle gets the ball I get excited especially if he has an open field to run into. That rarely happened on Sunday against a very good defender. Still he did have some good forward runs.

In the first half with Barker I was similarly excited, but it never happened for him. By the second half I was getting quite negative about him, then he does his great run and almost sets up the goal.

Having great potential is great. We just need to see more.

green day
12-12-2017, 07:51 AM
I agree that Barker needs to add more end product and goals to his game - and get as frustrated as everyone else as he seems to have talent.

One thing that he does though, is have a reputation for speed (like Boyle) and what happens in many games is that teams try to double (or treble) up on him - this creates space for the midfield / strikers.

e.g. Murrays goal v Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocdHvN1gd0

Billy Whizz
12-12-2017, 09:19 AM

When Boyle gets the ball I get excited especially if he has an open field to run into. That rarely happened on Sunday against a very good defender. Still he did have some good forward runs.

In the first half with Barker I was similarly excited, but it never happened for him. By the second half I was getting quite negative about him, then he does his great run and almost sets up the goal.

Boyle has been playing 1st team football and a high level for a few year , and Barker hasn’t. Brandon has a lot of catching up to do

JimBHibees
12-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Any idea if Barker would be fit for Wednesday since he went off on Sunday. Would be a really good option to have v Tavernier IMO.

wookie70
12-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Any idea if Barker would be fit for Wednesday since he went off on Sunday. Would be a really good option to have v Tavernier IMO.

Tavernier will be having nightmares that Lennon plays two up top and gives Stokes a bit of free role. I doubt he will be overly concerned with Barker as he has pace too.

Green Badger
12-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Tavernier will be having nightmares that Lennon plays two up top and gives Stokes a bit of free role. I doubt he will be overly concerned with Barker as he has pace too.

I would think Lennon may be considering playing Stokes in a free role / on the left, he finished the game in that position on Sunday and was probably at his most effective during the game. Also, Stokes did quite well there against Tavernier back in May 2016...

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2017, 10:32 AM
We are more than a match for Celtic and they can stop them playing for us against them so if Rodgers is sensible he would loan us Hayes to shop window him for the summer if Lennon wished to drop an ever improving more disciplined Brandon Barker who is improving all aspect of his game each week and was a Scott Brown (aye he's done) 50 yard run back from skinning a Swedish international and setting up a tap in for Stokesy yesterday. I never thought I would say it either but if we have a long term choice of hendo or Barker I would go with - Henderson. I'm too weak though. Barker is the real deal. So is Liam's

When Barker puts in a cross that finds a Hibs player he'll be the real deal. He has been poor and should be dropped imo.

thebausburst
12-12-2017, 10:57 AM

IMO he doesn’t do nearly enough to justify being in the starting 11 every week.

thebausburst
12-12-2017, 10:58 AM
When Barker puts in a cross that finds a Hibs player he'll be the real deal. He has been poor and should be dropped imo.

100%

Nicho87
12-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Barker would give travernier a good run for his money but my worry is he's not strong enough defensively to go with him the other way. I think Lennon will go 352 anyway, Barker dropped.

jacomo
12-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Barker would give travernier a good run for his money but my worry is he's not strong enough defensively to go with him the other way. I think Lennon will go 352 anyway, Barker dropped.

4-3-3 with Stokes on the left.

Tavenier will be greeting before the match starts.

ancient hibee
12-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I agree that Barker needs to add more end product and goals to his game - and get as frustrated as everyone else as he seems to have talent.

One thing that he does though, is have a reputation for speed (like Boyle) and what happens in many games is that teams try to double (or treble) up on him - this creates space for the midfield / strikers.

e.g. Murrays goal v Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocdHvN1gd0

I would think Celtic’s full backs have not been so quiet in attack all season as they were on Sunday.

Jack Hackett
12-12-2017, 12:44 PM
4-3-3 with Stokes on the left.

Tavenier will be greeting before the match starts.

He actually hasn't stopped since 21.05.2016.

matty_f
12-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Barker is an exciting winger, you have to accept that sometimes he'll not get by his man but I'd rather watch a player like him try it than not.

A winger skinning a full back is one of the finest sights in football, IMHO.

Jack Hackett
12-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Barker is an exciting winger, you have to accept that sometimes he'll not get by his man but I'd rather watch a player like him try it than not.

:agree:

I think it's the difference between what we want from a Hibs player and what the yam support want from theirs

Eyrie
12-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Almost right.

A good winger up against a good full back is the finest sight. Wins and losses on both sides makes it more interesting.

houstonhibbee
15-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Hibs favorites to sign him according to today's scotsman

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Its not that he doesnt beat his man, he literally has not put in a good cross yet. He desperately has to improve his crossing.

matty_f
15-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Its not that he doesnt beat his man, he literally has not put in a good cross yet. He desperately has to improve his crossing.

Not literally. He's put in some very good crosses.

Winston Ingram
15-12-2017, 01:28 PM

I've seen him put in plenty good crosses as has Boyle. The issue is our Centre Forwards seemed to have developed the knack of disappearing when the ball comes in to the box.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 08:20 AM
The Sheep seem confident of McGinn going back to them? I had hoped Hibernian would have fought hard to bring him in.

Jones28
19-12-2017, 08:22 AM

Our centre forwards could also do with remembering that they won't score if they aren't on the end of them. A winger can only do so much and more often than not Barker delivers a decent cross.

dunedinhibs
19-12-2017, 08:36 AM
The Sheep seem confident of McGinn going back to them? I had hoped Hibernian would have fought hard to bring him in.

Is English you're second language or are ye a yam troll?

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Awww thanks.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/boss-confident-new-mcginn-inning-will-move-closer-by-first-of-january/amp/

Souter96Mac
19-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Potentially the McInnes factor pulling him back to Aberdeen, but I thought I heard McInnes say that funds would be quite low in January. Still hopeful we get McGinn in, the sort of player we need imo.

Allant1981
19-12-2017, 08:46 AM

harsh, plus it's your not you're

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Potentially the McInnes factor pulling him back to Aberdeen, but I thought I heard McInnes say that funds would be quite low in January. Still hopeful we get McGinn in, the sort of player we need imo.

I think it will all come down to money. The sheep support seem to think its a done deal and are laughing off any suggestion that Hibs and Hearts are even in with a chance of landing him.

Michael
19-12-2017, 09:07 AM
I think it'll be us or Hearts. Why would you go to Aberdeen if you can live in Edinburgh? Unless his family are up there.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 09:13 AM
I think it'll be us or Hearts. Why would you go to Aberdeen if you can live in Edinburgh? Unless his family are up there.

My thoughts exactly. Isnt he friendly with Stokes?

easty
19-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I think it will all come down to money. The sheep support seem to think its a done deal and are laughing off any suggestion that Hibs and Hearts are even in with a chance of landing him.

I'm certain it'll come down to money. If he wants to come back to SPL, he'll sign for whoever pays him most. He didnae go to China for the football experience.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 09:18 AM
I'm certain it'll come down to money. If he wants to come back to SPL, he'll sign for whoever pays him most. He didnae go to China for the football experience.

He done a Deek...

SonOfDavidFrancey
19-12-2017, 09:22 AM

He didnae go to China at all

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 09:49 AM

South korea.

Forza Fred
19-12-2017, 09:59 AM

For more money?

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 10:24 AM
For more money?

Surely we are capable of beating aberdeen to a player though? I hope Hibs push the boat out for him. We need to lay down a marker.

easty
19-12-2017, 10:47 AM

South korea.

Basically he did though :greengrin

"Stop fighting North and South Korea....you're both basically Chinese"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmub2hgJThg

FifeHibs
19-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Surely we are capable of beating aberdeen to a player though? I hope Hibs push the boat out for him. We need to lay down a marker.

Aberdeen recieve large donations from fans who have done well with start up companies in oil and gas.
They received £775k in November from an IT firm in America, some building company donated a few million last year. It's rumoured Rooney is paid 5k which Stewart Milne pays from his construction company.
The same figures were for Hayes and McGinn.
Most oil companies I know have boxes which are used every Saturday.
Aberdeen seem to be able to generate allot of money although still train on public parks at time and have a stadium with 1 decent stand.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Aberdeen recieve large donations from fans who have done well with start up companies in oil and gas.
They received £775k in November from an IT firm in America, some building company donated a few million last year. It's rumoured Rooney is paid 5k which Stewart Milne pays from his construction company.
The same figures were for Hayes and McGinn.
Most oil companies I know have boxes which are used every Saturday.
Aberdeen seem to be able to generate allot of money although still train on public parks at time and have a stadium with 1 decent stand.

Yet when you ask Aberdeen about their lower attendances they blame it on the oil downturn...

FifeHibs
19-12-2017, 12:02 PM
I have been surprised that no major operator has sponsored Aberdeen previously and sunk some serious money into them.
They sometimes train on the grass next to the beach between the driving range and the pool.
Hibs can offer better a better city to live and training facilities that Aberdeen don't have. If it comes to £ I think aberdeen will be able to offer more.

Heisenberg
19-12-2017, 12:08 PM
The report just says he’s hoping for a decision from McGinn soon, no hint that Aberdeen will be his destination. They will likely pay more than both Hibs/Hearts but I’m not convinced he gets a start in their team.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Its all down to Leeann to get this guy in..she pulled it off with Stokes so im sure she can do it again with Nial McGinn. The facilities and lifestyle he can have had Hibs will hopefully play a major part.

one day maybe...
19-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Hearing he’s resigned for the Dons

Since90+2
19-12-2017, 01:50 PM
I honestly dont think McGinn will care that much about living in Edinburgh or Aberdeen at this stage of his career. He clearly went to South Korea for the dosh so he will be going where he can earn the most money.

He will be retired in 3 or 4 years time and will be able to live anywhere he likes, the lure of getting to live in Edinburgh is often over exaggerated by both Hibs and Hearts fans IMO.

TheGreenMan
19-12-2017, 01:59 PM
More money, better team, place he's already familiar with and was settled, guys he's already mates with, manager he knows will play him. I can't see any reason he'd go anywhere other than Aberdeen.

marinello59
19-12-2017, 02:11 PM
More money, better team, place he's already familiar with and was settled, guys he's already mates with, manager he knows will play him. I can't see any reason he'd go anywhere other than Aberdeen.

He still has a house up there as well.
I don’t think they are a better team though.

Earlydelivery
19-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Aberdeen evening express saying McInnes confident of resigning him .

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Sheep beat ue but they arent as good as the media make them out to be. The two games they lost in a row against sevco proved that.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 02:36 PM
I honestly dont think McGinn will care that much about living in Edinburgh or Aberdeen at this stage of his career. He clearly went to South Korea for the dosh so he will be going where he can earn the most money.

He will be retired in 3 or 4 years time and will be able to live anywhere he likes, the lure of getting to live in Edinburgh is often over exaggerated by both Hibs and Hearts fans IMO.

Spend some time in Aberdeen and you will quickly realise its a horrible place to live.

FifeHibs
19-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Spend some time in Aberdeen and you will quickly realise its a horrible place to live.

The best part of Aberdeen is the A90 South bound.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 02:51 PM
The best part of Aberdeen is the A90 South bound.

Couldnt agree more

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Not literally. He's put in some very good crosses.Honestly, I'd love an example because I genuinely haven't seen a cross of his find a Hibs player. Very few beat the first man.

Stokesy's on fire
19-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I'd love an example because I genuinely haven't seen a cross of his find a Hibs player. Very few beat the first man.

His crosses dont find hibs players because our players are miles behind play

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2017, 03:11 PM
His crosses dont find hibs players because our players are miles behind playNot true. His crosses find the goalkeeper or first man because he is generally been poor at crossing.

hughio
19-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Its all down to Leeann to get this guy in..she pulled it off with Stokes so im sure she can do it again with Nial McGinn. The facilities and lifestyle he can have had Hibs will hopefully play a major part.

:agree:

Come on Leanne.
This is the sort of player we need.

Splash the cash and sicken them sheep.

TheGreenMan
19-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Of course they are. Take off your green tinted specs. They've finished 2nd in the league for 3? years now and will most likely finish 2nd this season too. In direct contests we've lost 3 in a row. Admittedly on our day we can put in a performance to match anyone including Celtic like the game at Parkhead but over the course of a season, which is what ultimately matters, they are better than us.

Ozyhibby
19-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Of course they are. Take off your green tinted specs. They've finished 2nd in the league for 3? years now and will most likely finish 2nd this season too. In direct contests we've lost 3 in a row. Admittedly on our day we can put in a performance to match anyone including Celtic like the game at Parkhead but over the course of a season, which is what ultimately matters, they are better than us.

Agree. We don’t score enough goals to be making claims about being better than them or Sevco.

SChibs
19-12-2017, 09:36 PM
His crosses dont find hibs players because our players are miles behind play

Only crosses that find hibs players are inch perfect ones cause there's never any well timed runs or movement in the box. The amount of times the ball could be smashed low across goal but it gets floated to the back post and comes to nothing is unreal

dunedinhibs
19-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Awww thanks.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/boss-confident-new-mcginn-inning-will-move-closer-by-first-of-january/amp/
Apologies I didn't mean it to sound so harsh.
:)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-12-2017, 08:55 AM

They’re better than us. Last Sat proved that.

SirDavidsNapper
20-12-2017, 09:03 AM

They just spanked us. They are quite considerably better than us.

Tornadoes70
20-12-2017, 09:05 AM
They’re better than us. Last Sat proved that.

Not necessarily. On another day we're more than capable of beating them. They had a couple of pretty poor game performances against the huns very recently with us playing very well up until Saturday there. We haven't become a bad team on one insipid display. We're still a very good team when in form and with a weeks rest been had this week i think we can look forward to a much better overall game from us against Ross County.

Looking forward to it. Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

RoscoHibby
20-12-2017, 01:35 PM

I wouldn't have said so after the game at ER. After that game I thought they were nothing special and very fortunate to get the points..

We had a big hand in said 'spanking', they played well yes, but don't any of us have seen such an abject performance since the butcher days. Bit of a flippant example IMO.

Since90+2
20-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Pretty sure Aberdeen have beaten us the last 4 times we have played them.

Wheat Hound
20-12-2017, 02:06 PM

The last 3 certainly bit think the Malonga league cup game was the one before that?

Think they are better than us right now but 4-1 is not an accurate reflection of the gulf. The other 2 defeats were very near things where we arguably deserved something from each.

Give us a few seasons of premier league football and maybe Europe too and I'm confident we'll catch them up.

silverhibee
20-12-2017, 02:08 PM
:fire:

Iggy Pope
20-12-2017, 02:15 PM

How sure?

bingo70
20-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Would you consider Hearts to be considerably better than Celtic?

FWIW I think Aberdeen are better than us, and so they should be given recent seasons, but not for the reason you've provided.

mentalhibee
20-12-2017, 03:20 PM
:fire:

??

neil7908
20-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Can't believe we are even discussing whether Aberdeen are better than us.

Literally ever available measurement puts them ahead of us at this point in time.

I don't think we're a million miles behind them though.

ekhibee
20-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Not true. His crosses find the goalkeeper or first man because he is generally been poor at crossing.
You really don't like Barker do you? You find it really difficult to say anything complimentary about him at all. Shame, I think he's an exciting player to watch but each to his own.

Heisenberg
20-12-2017, 05:12 PM
McGinn has six offers on the table according to his agent. Let the bidding war commence.

Firestarter
20-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Can't believe we are even discussing whether Aberdeen are better than us.

Literally ever available measurement puts them ahead of us at this point in time.

I don't think we're a million miles behind them though.

Recent cup wins including the Scottish? Recent Cup runs albeit their run last year? They are a better team than us, quality of player wise there's very little in it and dare I say they have a better manager and coaching staff. I would love Tony Docherty at Hibs. I'm still in the bring back Donald Park camp mind you.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2017, 07:22 PM
You really don't like Barker do you? You find it really difficult to say anything complimentary about him at all. Shame, I think he's an exciting player to watch but each to his own.I have nothing against him, I just don't see what he offers and why he is getting so many appearances. He doesn't score, rarely assists, never runs in behind, doesn't link up with Lewis much offensively or defensively. Boyle is twice the player IMO.

hibbysam
20-12-2017, 07:24 PM
I have nothing against him, I just don't see what he offers and why he is getting so many appearances. He doesn't score, rarely assists, never runs in behind, doesn't link up with Lewis much offensively or defensively. Boyle is twice the player IMO.

You not watch the game against rangers? He did everything but score. I don’t want him ‘linking up with lewis’ I want lewis to stay well out the way and not overload his area leaving him one on one with the right back where he can either outrun him or skin him like Tavernier.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2017, 07:33 PM
I have nothing against him, I just don't see what he offers and why he is getting so many appearances. He doesn't score, rarely assists, never runs in behind, doesn't link up with Lewis much offensively or defensively. Boyle is twice the player IMO.

Its taken a while for the supporters to warm to Boyle, Barker has shown recently very good glimpses of what he can do.

Personally i think Barker will contribute a lot in the 2nd part of the season.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2017, 07:35 PM
You not watch the game against rangers? He did everything but score.

That's kind of the problem with him though - not much in the way of end product.

I think there is a player in there but it's extremely frustrating when he doesn't really have much to show for the good things he does.

stoneyburn hibs
20-12-2017, 07:37 PM
That's kind of the problem with him though - not much in the way of end product.

I think there is a player in there but it's extremely frustrating when he doesn't really have much to show for the good things he does.

He was very unfortunate not to score against the rangers, each post and a foot above the crossbar.

neil7908
20-12-2017, 08:55 PM

I agree completely with your last paragraph. If he was a permanent Hibs player I'd feel differently as we'd get the benefits of his ongoing development.

My concern with the him is that he's still too raw and if/when he matures he'll be ping fine from ER.

I only want loan players at Hibs if he are ready for the first team and can produce on regular basis.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2017, 08:57 PM
You not watch the game against rangers? He did everything but score. I don’t want him ‘linking up with lewis’ I want lewis to stay well out the way and not overload his area leaving him one on one with the right back where he can either outrun him or skin him like Tavernier.

I was at the game against Rangers, sure he played well. What about all the others game in which he has offered very little? How can Lewis stay out the way when Barker stands on the halfway line waiting for a ball to feet instead of running in behind?

20-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Barker played a big part in the Derby win (the 1st of 4 wins in a row), he had a good game and got the assist for Murray's goal.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Barker played a big part in the Derby win (the 1st of 4 wins in a row), he had a good game and got the assist for Murray's goal.So that's 2, both if which I agree with. Otherwise he has been pretty poor IMO. He was poor in the other 3 of those wins.

GreenOnions
21-12-2017, 12:16 AM

We're all entitled to our opinions but I'm pretty sure opposition managers are not as relaxed as you are about the threat Barker poses. There have been quite a few games this year where I've thought he's been our major attacking threat - until the opposition start doubling up on him. That ought to give us opportunities elsewhere though.

Martin Boyle has many qualities and his pace is helpful but I've yet to see an opposing team double up on him.

21-12-2017, 12:27 AM
We're all entitled to our opinions but I'm pretty sure opposition managers are not as relaxed as you are about the threat Barker poses. There have been quite a few games this year where I've thought he's been our major attacking threat - until the opposition start doubling up on him. That ought to give us opportunities elsewhere though.

Martin Boyle has many qualities and his pace is helpful but I've yet to see an opposing team double up on him.

... and Aberdeen realised this on Saturday, when they pressed really quickly and got tight on Barker & Boyle particularly as soon as they got in possession anywhere across the half way line. That and their general pressing on all our midfielders, and our lack of any quality on the ball (and some terrible individual mistakes) led to our demise last Saturday.

So, in summary, the Dons sussed out Barker & Boyle are our real danger men, and did something about it. Very effectively.

JimBHibees
21-12-2017, 07:00 AM
So that's 2, both if which I agree with. Otherwise he has been pretty poor IMO. He was poor in the other 3 of those wins.

Set up the goal at Hamilton with a great run. I like him and he has the beating of most full backs and personally dont think he or Boyle are helped by pretty average striker movement when they do put a cross in. His performance against Rangers was exceptional and hopefully more to come from him in the rest of the season.

TheGreenMan
28-12-2017, 02:55 PM
As predicted - signed for Aberdeen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42505019

Disappointed but not surprised

Ronniekirk
28-12-2017, 09:42 PM
As predicted - signed for Aberdeen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42505019

Disappointed but not surprised

Thats why they will remain second Its an indication of what can be achieved But yet they still can't win anything
But staying second allows them to make the kind of signings that in this case we cant yet attract

Tornadoes70
29-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Not too bothered about McGinn. Must be off his head as far as I'm concerned being happy at being located in the Granite City rather than this beautiful city and joining the biggest club who boss the derbies and going for ten in a row. He'd rather settle for what he knows than a new challenge in a bigger more beautiful city. Good riddance.

neil7908
29-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Frustrating, would have been a very good signing for us.