PDA

View Full Version : Average attendances so far

jgl07
05-12-2017, 12:56 PM
From seven home SPFL fixtures, Hibs are currently averaging 17,827.

There are four more matches to complete a full round including Celtic, Sevco, Ross County and Kilmarnock.

The first two look like sell-outs and the Killie match will have the new half season ticket holder included. So even if the Ross County match is a bit sparse (Saturday before Christmas), the average should go up to over 18,000.

Hearts by contrast have averaged 16,076 from their four matches at Tynecastle. They averaged 25,211 in three matches at Murrayfield giving an overall average of 19,991. That is somewhat bigger than the current capacity of Tynecastle so will continue to decline as the season progresses.

They have home matches coming up against Hibs and Celtic plus Aberdeen just before the split. If, as seems likely, they fail to make the top six they will miss out on lucrative matches against Sevcotic and Hibs. They will face Motherwell twice, Dundee, St Johnstone, Killie, and Partick plus whever delights the post split brings them.

But for the near 33,000 against Sevco and 24,000+ against Aberdeen, Hibs would be way ahead.

Big team?

Hibernia&Alba
05-12-2017, 12:59 PM
To think we were getting around 8000 before the cup win. A lot of fans had become totally disillusioned. A wee bit of success/progress and it shows the support is there.

jacomo
05-12-2017, 01:55 PM
To think we were getting around 8000 before the cup win. A lot of fans had become totally disillusioned. A wee bit of success/progress and it shows the support is there.

Nah we were already on an upward trend in terms of attendances, although the cup win obviously turbo charged that.

This season's figures are terrific though. Great backing from the Hibs family.

hibbysam
05-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Nah we were already on an upward trend in terms of attendances, although the cup win obviously turbo charged that.

You think so? We had about half a dozen games that season where we got over 10k in the league. Our crowds were horrendous that season down at around 7-9k. The cup win nearly doubled our crowds.

Firestarter
05-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Only 11,000 turned up for our playoff match against Falkirk, our last home game before 21 May. Our next home league game was attended by 16,777.

lyonhibs
05-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Our attendances are great. How they compare to Hearts' is of no interest to me.

Compare it to just a couple of years ago and the figures are from a different world.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2017, 03:08 PM

No chance. Our attendances in 15/16 season were plummeting like a stone. Had we not won the cup, things were looking very grim indeed. The cup win changed everything. We need to make sure we never get complacent about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
05-12-2017, 03:18 PM
The Scottish Cup win changed everything. Add Lennon bringing grit and a winners mentality to the team and you have average crowds unheard of at ER since the 70’s. A good recent record v our obnoxious neighbours helped too. Good times 🇳🇬

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2017, 03:42 PM
We've always had a bigger support than them. Our high water marks in the 50's and 70's dwarf what they were able to achieve. In fact, it's taken those paltry, insignificant minnows 30 years of financial doping and three Scottish Cups to achieve the crowd levels we did with relegation and one, fairly won, Scottish Cup.

They are a small club, with a small support, and a small stadium.

It's wonderful watching this big team delusion they've had from decades of cheating slide away as reality bites.

tynehibs
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Nice one bob

Earlydelivery
05-12-2017, 04:10 PM
We've always had a bigger support than them. Our high water marks in the 50's and 70's dwarf what they were able to achieve. In fact, it's taken those paltry, insignificant minnows 30 years of financial doping and three Scottish Cups to achieve the crowd levels we did with relegation and one, fairly won, Scottish Cup.

It's wonderful watching this big team delusion they've had from decades of cheating slide away as reality bites.
I would go as far to say that we hold every domestic and European attendance records out with the old firm . And the only club out with the old firm to have 30k average attendances .

Hi Heid Yin
05-12-2017, 05:02 PM

:agree::agree::agree: I couldn't have put it better

LancsHibs
05-12-2017, 05:39 PM

:top marks

SirDavidsNapper
05-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Robbie Neilson saved our club

grammyb111
05-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Our attendances have been outstanding but I don't think we should be comparing them to Hearts. For a long time they've been higher than ours (of course financial doping had a hand in that) so it's worth congratulating both clubs which are doing really well attracting fans at the moment. Long may it continue!

SirDavidsNapper
05-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Post of the season. Words of truth that will cause a meltdown on Brokeback. Well done 👍

monktonharp
06-12-2017, 01:53 AM
Our attendances have been outstanding but I don't think we should be comparing them to Hearts. For a long time they've been higher than ours (of course financial doping had a hand in that) so it's worth congratulating both clubs which are doing really well attracting fans at the moment. Long may it continue!sorry, but I will never congratulate a club that has stolen Lithuanian pensioners money, stolen council money therefor my money, stolen money from Musselburgh Windsor/athletic/stenhousemuir/Liverpool fc,/a wee Pakistani guy that supplied morning papers/a roll man/a wee wummin that made the tea/some poor guy that fixed a light fitting/another guy that carried out electrical testing that was never paid for etc etc. are you being serious? these barstewards stole millions of pounds and are still in denial. the first line of your statement is correct. and I agree, we should not be compairing them to Hibernian. end off.

Stuart93
06-12-2017, 04:27 AM
Comparing attendances is a hearts thing to do imo, let's just be happy ours is so good just now. Get those corners filled!!

Michael
06-12-2017, 06:14 AM
sorry, but I will never congratulate a club that has stolen Lithuanian pensioners money, stolen council money therefor my money, stolen money from Musselburgh Windsor/athletic/stenhousemuir/Liverpool fc,/a wee Pakistani guy that supplied morning papers/a roll man/a wee wummin that made the tea/some poor guy that fixed a light fitting/another guy that carried out electrical testing that was never paid for etc etc. are you being serious? these barstewards stole millions of pounds and are still in denial. the first line of your statement is correct. and I agree, we should not be compairing them to Hibernian. end off.

Right, but that's mainly down to bad ownership. The fans have gone in good numbers even for relegation to be fair to them.

hughio
06-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Our attendances are great. How they compare to Hearts' is of no interest to me.

Compare it to just a couple of years ago and the figures are from a different world.

Exactly :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
06-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Its a bit pointless comparing our attendances to Hearts .... if the crowd is 1,000 or 19,000 at Tynecastle it doesn't add or take away a penny piece from our coffers. The only comparison that matters is with our own historic turnouts and at the moment we should be cock a hoop at the improvement ..... only three years ago someone saying we would be averaging over 17,000 would have been sectioned.

The trick now is to keep these fans coming back ... and by that I mean if there is a downturn it should be to 13 or 14 thousand and not to 9 or 10 thousand as it has since the 70s. The population of Edinburgh is projected to grow by nearly 30% in the next 25 years and that is a huge opportunity for growth in our fanbase, and Hearts too I suppose .... that's the fight we have with Hearts, not what we get now, but what we can get in the future.

Hearts decision to build a stand which doesn't even bring their capacity up to 20,000 with no further room for expansion could well in the future be their downfall and Hibs gain .... Easter Road has the potential to be increased to at least 23,000 and if the future growth of the city's population does come to pass that bigger capacity which we don't need just now could well be needed in the future if we get things right.

The future of football itself could have a bearing as well .... If the games 'giants' do decide to cement their Champions league greedfest into some sort of European league then you might well find domestic leagues merging to compensate for that ... The Netherlands and Belgium or Spain and Portugal for example.

If the English league were to lose Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea for example it could well lead to a shake up down south ... Yes big clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Aston Villa will step up to fill the void left by them, but who fills the void left by the likes of Leeds in the pecking order, MK Dons? Darlington? ... I think the attractiveness of clubs with potential like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could be of interest to them in a new system.

Before anybody says 'never gonna happen' who would have predicted Manchester United giving up their place in the FA cup to play in a relatively meaningless, but perhaps more lucrative, world club cup a few years back.

Ozyhibby
06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Its a bit pointless comparing our attendances to Hearts .... if the crowd is 1,000 or 19,000 at Tynecastle it doesn't add or take away a penny piece from our coffers. The only comparison that matters is with our own historic turnouts and at the moment we should be cock a hoop at the improvement ..... only three years ago someone saying we would be averaging over 17,000 would have been sectioned.

The trick now is to keep these fans coming back ... and by that I mean if there is a downturn it should be to 13 or 14 thousand and not to 9 or 10 thousand as it has since the 70s. The population of Edinburgh is projected to grow by nearly 30% in the next 25 years and that is a huge opportunity for growth in our fanbase, and Hearts too I suppose .... that's the fight we have with Hearts, not what we get now, but what we can get in the future.

Hearts decision to build a stand which doesn't even bring their capacity up to 20,000 with no further room for expansion could well in the future be their downfall and Hibs gain .... Easter Road has the potential to be increased to at least 23,000 and if the future growth of the city's population does come to pass that bigger capacity which we don't need just now could well be needed in the future if we get things right.

The future of football itself could have a bearing as well .... If the games 'giants' do decide to cement their Champions league greedfest into some sort of European league then you might well find domestic leagues merging to compensate for that ... The Netherlands and Belgium or Spain and Portugal for example.

If the English league were to lose Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea for example it could well lead to a shake up down south ... Yes big clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Aston Villa will step up to fill the void left by them, but who fills the void left by the likes of Leeds in the pecking order, MK Dons? Darlington? ... I think the attractiveness of clubs with potential like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could be of interest to them in a new system.

Before anybody says 'never gonna happen' who would have predicted Manchester United giving up their place in the FA cup to play in a relatively meaningless, but perhaps more lucrative, world club cup a few years back.

I agree 100%. I’ve no idea what form change will come in but it is coming.
UEFA money has made domestic leagues uncompetitive all over Europe. There are now multiple leagues in Europe with teams on long title winning streaks. It’s become self perpetuating.
At some point soon, there will be change.

AgentDaleCooper
06-12-2017, 12:32 PM

there's probably very little chance i would have bought an ST if it hadn't been for the cup win - so glad I did though, was delighted to renew this season and certainly will again for next year. the point being though, i reckon if we hadn't won the cup we'd be lucky to be at 13k for average attendances. 26.5.16 changed everything :aok:

Ozyhibby
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
there's probably very little chance i would have bought an ST if it hadn't been for the cup win - so glad I did though, was delighted to renew this season and certainly will again for next year. the point being though, i reckon if we hadn't won the cup we'd be lucky to be at 13k for average attendances. 26.5.16 changed everything :aok:

We’d be lucky to be at 10k averages. We would have unlikely to have afforded Lennon or Cummings new deal. It’s possible we would still be in the championship.