PDA

View Full Version : NHC Mike Clattenburg - Cheat

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 12:11 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42234221

I wonder what ref in Scotland will be the first to admit this goes on?

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2017, 12:14 PM

He was on SSN last night explaining how his comments were taken out of context.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
He was on SSN last night explaining how his comments were taken out of context.

I listened to his first interview and he clearly said at "least" 3 Spurs players should have been sent off he "chose" not to send them off and let them implode instead. He went on to say he did not want to be the centre of attention and get bad headlines in the press.

I believe the interview took place in USA so no lost in translation excuse he is just a complete F@NNY

MrSmith
05-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Great statement from Wright:

"I can't see how a referee can go into a game thinking about anything other than officiating it in isolation. If people have to be sent off they have to be sent off. It's baffling for me."

exactly how it should be!

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2017, 12:20 PM
I listened to his first interview and he clearly said at "least" 3 Spurs players should have been sent off he "chose" not to send them off and let them implode instead. He went on to say he did not want to be the centre of attention and get bad headlines in the press.

I believe the interview took place in USA so no lost in translation excuse he is just a complete F@NNY

It was in America - not lost in translation but taken out of context.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 12:25 PM
It was in America - not lost in translation but taken out of context.

I wonder how it could be taken out of context? He thought at least 3 players should have been sent off he chose not to send them off !!!
He also went on to say despite booking NINE Spurs players it was one of the few games Costa was not booked - Why even mention that?

MartinfaePorty
05-12-2017, 12:25 PM

I remember an interview on Radio Scotland with a recently retired referee, possibly Willie Young, who admitted that they reffed high-profile games e.g. Old Firm derbies differently. The interviewer was quite taken aback, but it was repeated, with the ref stating that this was a sensible approach. There was also something on more recently where a ref said he was asked by police not to send folk off in an Old Firm match, if it could be avoided, and was subsequently praised by the same police officer for his actions in not producing any red cards.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 12:29 PM
I remember an interview on Radio Scotland with a recently retired referee, possibly Willie Young, who admitted that they reffed high-profile games e.g. Old Firm derbies differently. The interviewer was quite taken aback, but it was repeated, with the ref stating that this was a sensible approach. There was also something on more recently where a ref said he was asked by police not to send folk off in an Old Firm match, if it could be avoided, and was subsequently praised by the same police officer for his actions in not producing any red cards.

So does that confirm if you play either of the uglies and it is a "must" win game for them you start the game at a disadvantage as many if not all the 50/50 decisions will go against you?

Michael
05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
To be honest, what he says makes sense to me. It's pretty standard for referees to have a game plan for each match. Makes sense that you need to adapt to each situation.

HibsNutter
05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Nothing was taken out of context, he made decisions that he knew were wrong to allow for a better script to unfold in the PL.

Similarly, Man City will not be allowed to beat United this weekend.

jodjam
05-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Years back Dallas admitted not sending off Van Hooijdonk in an old firm game. Said he would have given him straight red if not OF game. Following week we lose 1-0 to celtc and guess who scores. Their actions cannot be altered as there is knock on effects. Clattenburg broke the rules

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 12:38 PM
To be honest, what he says makes sense to me. It's pretty standard for referees to have a game plan for each match. Makes sense that you need to adapt to each situation.

EH ! REALLY ?

How can a REF have a game plan? Surely the play dictates the refs plan not the other way round?

Yes you can try to keep your cards in your pocket perhaps a tad longer however if people are kicking lumps out of each other and showing no control as was the case in this game surely you do what you are paid to do and enforce the laws of the game?

If your "game plan" is not to send someone off and a guy is hauled down in the box in the opening minute do you just ignore it or perhaps give the pen and not send him off knowing full well you are wrong?

Hibernia&Alba
05-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Nothing was taken out of context, he made decisions that he knew were wrong to allow for a better script to unfold in the PL.

Similarly, Man City will not be allowed to beat United this weekend.

Come on now. I wish that were true, but it isn't. :greengrin

Geo_1875
05-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Referees are there to apply the laws of the game, not to apply their interpretation of them in relation to the situation they find themselves in. As stated above, their actions have implications for future opponents. What would happen if a player who should have been sent off, but isn't, goes on to seriously injure an opponent later in the game? Would the referee leave themselves open to prosecution?

Michael
05-12-2017, 12:56 PM
EH ! REALLY ?

How can a REF have a game plan? Surely the play dictates the refs plan not the other way round?

Yes you can try to keep your cards in your pocket perhaps a tad longer however if people are kicking lumps out of each other and showing no control as was the case in this game surely you do what you are paid to do and enforce the laws of the game?

If your "game plan" is not to send someone off and a guy is hauled down in the box in the opening minute do you just ignore it or perhaps give the pen and not send him off knowing full well you are wrong?

If referees did everything by the book you'd get a card for anything. Common sense needs to be applied too.

And for a derby game there's going to be loads of fouls from both sides. You'd ruin the game by showing too many cards.

easty
05-12-2017, 01:33 PM
If referees did everything by the book you'd get a card for anything. Common sense needs to be applied too.

And for a derby game there's going to be loads of fouls from both sides. You'd ruin the game by showing too many cards.

If that'd ruin the game, then that's the fault of the players and the management. It's not up to the referees to pick and choose which games they want to send people off in. Teams and matches shouldn't get treated differently by refs. How can any referee say they would have sent a player off for the same foul, if it was in a different game, that's utter nonsense.

HoboHarry
05-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Clattenburg doesn't happen to have a book coming out soon does he?

hibbysam
05-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Clattenburg doesn't happen to have a book coming out soon does he?

That was my first thought and the only rationale behind saying it, otherwise what did he have to gain by doing so?

Baader
05-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Read his comments and thought must be some fall out about this. Smacks of another ref trying to be the centre of attention.

Rules are rules and whether it's Edinburgh City v Albion Rovers, Hibs at Ibrox or Chelsea v Spurs in a possible title decider they should be applied the same.

If he was too scared to do his job then he should have found a different one.

CapitalGreen
05-12-2017, 01:47 PM
I wonder how it could be taken out of context? He thought at least 3 players should have been sent off he chose not to send them off !!!
He also went on to say despite booking NINE Spurs players it was one of the few games Costa was not booked - Why even mention that?

He said he watched the game back afterwards and felt he should have sent 3 players off. 2 of the instances he didn't see at the time (stamp on Fabregas fingers and Dembele at the tunnell). The third incident he allowed Chelsea to play advantage when Dier could/should have received a 2nd yellow, I think he blew the final whistle when the advantage didn't amount to anything.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2017, 02:24 PM
He said he watched the game back afterwards and felt he should have sent 3 players off. 2 of the instances he didn't see at the time (stamp on Fabregas fingers and Dembele at the tunnell). The third incident he allowed Chelsea to play advantage when Dier could/should have received a 2nd yellow, I think he blew the final whistle when the advantage didn't amount to anything.

And that he was keen not to give Spurs and their fans a reason to deflect from losing the league.

Future17
05-12-2017, 02:31 PM
I really liked Clattenburg as a ref. He gave off the impression of a man who loved himself, but was clearly very good at his job.

These comments are obviously ill-advised, as they were bound to be criticised regardless of context, but he's certainly not alone in indicating he would approach games differently depending on the individual circumstances.

Howard Webb explained his approach on BT Sport last season and called it "game management". The example he gave was something along the lines of:

Scenario 1: Three separate players commit identical fouls, which are borderline yellow card offences. The first foul occurs in the 1st minute, the second in the 40th minute and the third in the 88th minute. The ref doesn't book any of the players.

Scenario 2: Three separate players commit identical fouls, which are borderline yellow card offences, all within a couple of minutes of each other. The referee doesn't book the first two players, but books the player who commits the third foul.

Webb's rationale was that it's the responsibility of the referee to "manage" the behaviour of the players on the pitch and that the second scenario above required him to send a message to the players when the first scenario didn't. It's not quite the same as Clattenburg's actions (or inaction) but it's along the same lines in that it's not as simple as just making each decision in isolation.

On a related note, I think threads like this probably illustrate why referees coming out after games and explaining their decisions wouldn't work IMO, despite what our manager has said recently.

Geo_1875
05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
I really liked Clattenburg as a ref. He gave off the impression of a man who loved himself, but was clearly very good at his job.

These comments are obviously ill-advised, as they were bound to be criticised regardless of context, but he's certainly not alone in indicating he would approach games differently depending on the individual circumstances.

Howard Webb explained his approach on BT Sport last season and called it "game management". The example he gave was something along the lines of:

Scenario 1: Three separate players commit identical fouls, which are borderline yellow card offences. The first foul occurs in the 1st minute, the second in the 40th minute and the third in the 88th minute. The ref doesn't book any of the players.

Scenario 2: Three separate players commit identical fouls, which are borderline yellow card offences, all within a couple of minutes of each other. The referee doesn't book the first two players, but books the player who commits the third foul.

Webb's rationale was that it's the responsibility of the referee to "manage" the behaviour of the players on the pitch and that the second scenario above required him to send a message to the players when the first scenario didn't. It's not quite the same as Clattenburg's actions (or inaction) but it's along the same lines in that it's not as simple as just making each decision in isolation.

On a related note, I think threads like this probably illustrate why referees coming out after games and explaining their decisions wouldn't work IMO, despite what our manager has said recently.

So he manages the behaviour of players by treating one of them unfairly? That's a recipe for disaster if that player or his teammates feel picked on.

To me that's as bad as Craig Thomson pointing around the pitch at Tynie "1 2 3 4 5 and no more" then booking a Hibs player for their first tackle.

Salt N Sauzee
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Who's Mike Clattenburg? :dunno:

jacomo
05-12-2017, 03:11 PM

English ref with a huge ego.

Not sure I'd take anything he says at face value, but he will be loving the attention.

Pete
05-12-2017, 03:16 PM

He’s a Canadian television director.

Good Hibby apparently.

Bostonhibby
05-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Mark clattenburg the grade 1 English ref is a fair bit better than most of the Scottish refs I've seen. He's purported to have a liking for arsenal, must have a book coming out if it's him.☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

high bee
05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
A friend of mine did the FA refereeing course and he said they were taught to try and manage games with cards/ warnings. So if someone commits a bad early foul (worthy of a yellow) you could give a warning cause it’s early if you think it will be an isolated incident or you could book them to send a message. Similarly you could book players early to send a message if the game starts if feisty or you could allow the game to flow to prevent lots of later dismissals ruining a game.

If this is true then it’s all wrong IMO, referees should officiate in one way and that’s by the book with no game management. It should be up to the players and coaches to manage their behaviour to suit the rules. If there is a riot then the club should deal with it, should not be something a referee allows for when making decisions.

delbert
05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
EH ! REALLY ?

Of course refs have a game plan, it’s called preparation and professionalism. Before the WC Final in Japan, Collina had analysed all the players, their style of play, weaknesses and strengths basically everything and he also correctly predicted which player was likely to get the first yellow ( he was correct, as was the decision, and there were only 2or 3 in the match)
It would surely be bonkers for anyone to think the referee of a Hibs v Hearts or Celtc v Sevco game would referee it in exactly the same fashion as Tynecastle v Hutchy Vale U15’s - the conclusion that preparing properly for a game and refereeing a particular game in a particular manner, to me anyway, just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

hibsbollah
05-12-2017, 03:38 PM
It seems to be the done thing these days for public figures to spuriously claim stupid or controversial quotes were taken 'out of context', when there is no possibility of this being possible. I wish journalists would pull them up about this more often.

CropleyWasGod
05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
It seems to be the done thing these days for public figures to spuriously claim stupid or controversial quotes were taken 'out of context', when there is no possibility of this being possible. I wish journalists would pull them up about this more often.

In this case, he's probably correct. As was stated above, he didn't see 2 of the offences until after the game, and the 3rd was virtually the last kick of the game.

In general terms, though, it seems to be a standard cop-out.

Future17
05-12-2017, 04:31 PM

Have you read what Clattenberg said and compared it to how it's been interpreted?

Future17
05-12-2017, 04:33 PM
So he manages the behaviour of players by treating one of them unfairly? That's a recipe for disaster if that player or his teammates feel picked on.

In what way is it a recipe for disaster?

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Of course refs have a game plan, it’s called preparation and professionalism. Before the WC Final in Japan, Collina had analysed all the players, their style of play, weaknesses and strengths basically everything and he also correctly predicted which player was likely to get the first yellow ( he was correct, as was the decision, and there were only 2or 3 in the match)
It would surely be bonkers for anyone to think the referee of a Hibs v Hearts or Celtc v Sevco game would referee it in exactly the same fashion as Tynecastle v Hutchy Vale U15’s - the conclusion that preparing properly for a game and refereeing a particular game in a particular manner, to me anyway, just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

That is not a "game plan" that is preparing for your job. Even if he did have a game plan it goes totally out the window when the game starts and it does not go to plan.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Have you read what Clattenberg said and compared it to how it's been interpreted?

I heard him speak on the radio obviously they did not air the full conversation. However I still don't see why he said I thought I would leave it and let Spurs implode? Why say that if you did not see it?

Thecat23
05-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Some refs cheat some don’t. People who think every ref is honest are very naive. Most are just crap but far to many just cheat! Players cheat all the time I find it hard why fans cant grasp refs do too. Loads of players have said the same!

johnbc70
05-12-2017, 05:11 PM
A friend of a friend knew a SPL referee and the advice he got from Hugh Dallas at the time was to make a name for himself with some high profile controversial decisions. If he was high profile he was more likely to get the high profile games.

hibsbollah
05-12-2017, 05:40 PM

No:greengrin

snooky
05-12-2017, 05:57 PM
A friend of a friend knew a SPL referee and the advice he got from Hugh Dallas at the time was to make a name for himself with some high profile controversial decisions. If he was high profile he was more likely to get the high profile games.
In favour of which two teams I wonder :coffee:

Malthibby
05-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Or they 'mis-spoke' when they are caught lying. Does ma head in.

Mibbes Aye
05-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Or they 'mis-spoke' when they are caught lying. Does ma head in.

'Mispoke' and making a 'misstep' traduce the English language IMO :agree:

More generally, with referees, I think they find themselves in an impossible situation. The two main criticisms they garner are not being consistent and not showing common sense. The problem is that it's practically impossible to show both consistency and common sense.

Sammy7nil
28-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Just on the back of theCats thread corruption cheating or what ?

JimBHibees
29-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Can remember a Merseyside Derby where he should have just handed over the whistle to Gerrard as he was the one making the decisions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/mark-clattenburg-controversial-moments-in-the-referees-career-9042302.html

Phil MaGlass
29-06-2018, 07:27 AM

How many times in the last few derbies should hertz players have been sent off after appalling tackles on our players? How many of our players were sent off for non fouls?
Do you think its right, I dont.