PDA

View Full Version : Away day (England)

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Just needing a little help. Looking to go to a match down England preferably championship but any league would do. Just looking for peoples experiences to help me decide. I would be staying over night so somewhere that has decent Town or City that I can go out for drinks after.

I have considered Leeds and already been to Newcastle Sunderland Bolton Wigan Man Utd.

I would like to see Liverpool again but heard it's really hard to get tickets.

Thanks

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2017, 06:26 PM
I usually base myself in Preston (or Blackpool) when going to a game in NW of England, plenty boozers in a compact town centre.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Just needing a little help. Looking to go to a match down England preferably championship but any league would do. Just looking for peoples experiences to help me decide. I would be staying over night so somewhere that has decent Town or City that I can go out for drinks after.

I have considered Leeds and already been to Newcastle Sunderland Bolton Wigan Man Utd.

Thanks

How about an Everton game? Great city with loads to do and a new experience for you.

Galahibby
04-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Going to see my mates's team, Alfreton Town, at York City in February. Can hardly contain my excitement... 😏

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
I usually base myself in Preston (or Blackpool) when going to a game in NW of England, plenty boozers in a compact town centre.

Yeah done a few Northern teams maybe look at fixture lists over next couple months

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 06:39 PM
How about an Everton game? Great city with loads to do and a new experience for you.

Could be an idea when I went to Liverpool v arsenal it was a drive down that morning back up at night only saw Liverpool from a car window

ScotchCorner
04-12-2017, 06:40 PM
What about Sheffield Wednesday? Decent city and the ground itself is worth a visit although the Leppings lane end still feels eerie and the exterior hasn’t changed much since the late 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Boy
04-12-2017, 06:44 PM
What about Sheffield Wednesday? Decent city and the ground itself is worth a visit although the Leppings lane end still feels eerie and the exterior hasn’t changed much since the late 80’s.

Sheffield is good for a night out

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Could be an idea when I went to Liverpool v arsenal it was a drive down that morning back up at night only saw Liverpool from a car window

Or Tranmere Rovers if you fancy a lower league game. I went to Prenton Park three or four years ago and enjoyed it. Back across the Mersey for a night out.

ScotchCorner
04-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Sheffield is good for a night out

Yeah it’s a decent city. Friendly people too.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Or how about Man City? You could take Pete along with you, and listen to his eulogising of a victory for football :greengrin

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 06:58 PM
It's such a hard choice cause there's so many teams to chose from but Sheffield and Liverpool are two cities that is like to go, it's gonna be to much hassle for Liverpool tickets, anyone know how easy Everton tickets are to get? I'd reckon tickets for the Sheffield teams should be easy enough to get

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 07:00 PM
It's such a hard choice cause there's so many teams to chose from but Sheffield and Liverpool are two cities that is like to go, it's gonna be to much hassle for Liverpool tickets, anyone know how easy Everton tickets are to get? I'd reckon tickets for the Sheffield teams should be easy enough to get

If you go on the Everton website, you'll get a ticket for a game I'm sure. That would be my choice, in your shoes.

18Hibee75
Sheffield United or Wednesday would be a good option, good boozers, friendly people and both teams generate a decent atmosphere.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Colr

Thanks

London.

Not too hard to get Spurs tickets this season, I would guess.

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Think Sheffield is going to be my choice as in original post my preference was to experience a championship game now to look at fixtures and price the trains

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 07:05 PM
London.

I cannae dae London. Too big, too crowded, very cold/rude people. Makes me think of a dystopian city of the Blade Runner kind.

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 07:06 PM
London.

For some reason don't wanna go that far, but most premiership games I've been to have been in Tottenham away end at northern teams, also I was in Spurs end at tynecastle when they played them in Europe, would rather have saw them at white hart lane than Wembley

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Think Sheffield is going to be my choice as in original post my preference was to experience a championship game now to look at fixtures and price the trains

Bramall Lane is right in the city centre. You can't go wrong.

Saturday Boy
04-12-2017, 07:08 PM
London.

London is a good call. Lots of football. I always check out the London Football Guide, a blog listening all the week’ games, from internationals down to the pub leagues.

http://www.tlfg.uk/?m=1

On my phone, so the link might need to be a copy and paste job .

Oh, I’ve also heard that there’s lots of pubs there.

Wherever you go, enjoy.

EH54
04-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Strongly recommend Hillsborough great stadium amazing city. Used to go few times a year up until a year or so ago

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Man City, easy to get tickets at the emptyhad, they are in great form, and Manchester is a good night out.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Man City, easy to get tickets at the emptyhad, they are in great form, and Manchester is a good night out.

Pleasing:greengrin

dangermouse
04-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Been to the City Ground a few times. Great atmosphere when they play Derby especially if Forest win :greengrin

Pretty Boy
04-12-2017, 07:21 PM
It gets a bad rep and is the focus of a lot of jokes but Bradford is a city I’ve always had a soft spot for. It’s had hard times but has tried to get itself back on it’s feet.

If you like curry you won’t go hungry, it has some decent pubs, Pictureville is an incredible cinema, some of the Victorian buildings that escaped demolition are very fine examples of the architecture of the time and the Alhambra Theatre is easily one of the 20 finest looking buildings in Britain imo.

It’s not for everyone but I enjoyed a couple of days there.

Hibby70
04-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Looks like it's easy enough to get Birmingham tickets!

wearethehibs
04-12-2017, 07:42 PM
If you want a different type of game to the usual, Id suggest FC United of Manchester. 15minute tram from the city centre, a class wee ground and great atmosphere.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Looks like it's easy enough to get Birmingham tickets!

They probably can't give them away

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Pleasing:greengrin

It is surprising that you can get a ticket for most of their home games, what more do they have to do?

The best football by a mile in that division, you would think they'd have a waiting list the length of the M6 to see whats on show there? :confused:

ScotchCorner
04-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Hillsborough is the better stadium to visit as its far more quirky with more history. Bramal
Lane is more central though and the tram goes right near it. Either way you will have a good time and the city is worth a visit, not the prettiest but definitely an endearing place.

HH81
04-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Bramall Lane is right in the city centre. You can't go wrong.

Hillsborough is just a short tram ride.

Not too far. Rotherham have new ish ground, steep stands short ride from Sheffield too.

HH81
04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
It gets a bad rep and is the focus of a lot of jokes but Bradford is a city I’ve always had a soft spot for. It’s had hard times but has tried to get itself back on it’s feet.

If you like curry you won’t go hungry, it has some decent pubs, Pictureville is an incredible cinema, some of the Victorian buildings that escaped demolition are very fine examples of the architecture of the time and the Alhambra Theatre is easily one of the 20 finest looking buildings in Britain imo.

Living just a few miles from Bradford I can not agree 😁. Not been into Bradford in years. Decent enough football ground though.

rotherhamrob
04-12-2017, 08:06 PM
As others have said sheffield is a good option,other than the football there's plenty going on,an abundance of pubs ,hotels and the like.I also like a night at the dogs if there's a few of us.

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I've been looking at train tickets direct edinburgh to Sheffield coming up some silly prices £152, that was for end of January aswell

HH81
04-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Hulk east coast line is expensive. I always go through Preston way to Edinburgh due to costs. Anywhere near Leeds or York and the cost is crazy.

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Hulk east coast line is expensive. I always go through Preston way to Edinburgh due to costs. Anywhere near Leeds or York and the cost is crazy.

Couldnt believe it when you can get to Newcastle for £20 booking in advance

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I've been looking at train tickets direct edinburgh to Sheffield coming up some silly prices £152, that was for end of January aswell

The train prices in this country are a disgrace. You could fly down far cheaper. Look at some other routes; it should be half that price.

Liberal Hibby
04-12-2017, 08:12 PM
You can try https://www.splitticketing.com/

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Just done it via Doncaster comes up £72

Hulk1875
04-12-2017, 08:14 PM
I was looking at flights for Düsseldorf recently just shy of £50

MKHIBEE
04-12-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanks

Get yourself to watch Lincoln City, my lads will sort you a ticket and take you to the best watering holes.

rotherhamrob
04-12-2017, 08:17 PM

If it's possible try and book 12 weeks in advance,I've booked 3 adults and 2 kids £170 return Doncaster to Edinburgh,coming up 30th December and will be taking in the Kilmarnock game with both my boys,can't wait.

wearethehibs
04-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Yeah trains are a joke. You can get a return flight to Bergamo in Italy for like £30. Go see an Atalanta game

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Yeah trains are a joke. You can get a return flight to Bergamo in Italy for like £30. Go see an Atalanta game

Book in advance and you get great deals. I do Liverpool via Preston/Wigan every couple of weeks, most I pay is about £37 return, very often I pay less than £25.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-12-2017, 09:57 PM

Been to Bradford many times over the years as have relatives there, and had somee good nights, and agree with you on some of the architecture ' however it feels like a place that has fell into steep decline and unlike cities like Leeds for example (only a few miles away) it hasn't been regenerated. The decent pubs are there, but can be hard to find, for a decent sized city there is little in the way of nightlife really. Though i like it and Will be back again soon, I couldn't really recommend it ahead of other Yorkshire cities, to anyone without a connection there, to be honest.

IWasThere2016
04-12-2017, 10:32 PM
I live in Bolton and regularly do away days at local sides.

Done Man City, Bolton, Preston, Everton, Burnley, Blackburn, Crewe, Accrington etc..

I fancy Leeds-Norwich on 16 Dec.

Will do many others too - just not ManUre.

Very spoiled for choice round here..

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Not sure if they are still taking place but, both VTEC & VTWC were running Black Friday sales for a few days.

Pete
04-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Or how about Man City? You could take Pete along with you, and listen to his eulogising of a victory for football :greengrin

I was going to suggest Bristol Rovers but now you mention it....

cheltenhamhibee
05-12-2017, 01:45 AM
Going to see my mates's team, Alfreton Town, at York City in February. Can hardly contain my excitement... 😏

York is a fabulous place, lots of great pubs, been there many times watching Cheltenham

SirDavidsNapper
05-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Bolton is a decent shout after being down there for the friendly a few years back. Great rail links, good night out and a stone throw from Manchester.

norhfc
05-12-2017, 05:33 AM
Some great ideas here, well away from the tourist attractions in Manchester, Liverpool and London.

sambajustice
05-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Go to quite a few Wednesday games as I live in Yorkshire and Hillsborough is good craic. Easy to get tickets but one of the more expensive teams.

Ground is out the centre but easy to get to on the tram. There's a stop at the back of the train station that will take you close enough without having to change teams. Blue line to Hillsborough. Stops outside a massive boozer.

When you look at the Kop End and the Leppings Lane End, both inside and outside of the ground, you just think to yourself "WTF??"

By all accounts the ground has changed very little.

Sheffield a good random night out as well!

Bristolhibby
05-12-2017, 08:04 AM
I was looking at flights for Düsseldorf recently just shy of £50

Now that’s a great night out. Stayed in Düsseldorf for the Scotland game a few years ago.

J

Galahibby
05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
York is a fabulous place, lots of great pubs, been there many times watching Cheltenham

I agree, York's great. Alfreton Town on the other hand...

Hulk1875
05-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Now that’s a great night out. Stayed in Düsseldorf for the Scotland game a few years ago.

J

Yeah absolutely loved it

Hulk1875
05-12-2017, 05:54 PM
So I've decided Sheffield united v Aston Villa on 27th January

Hulk1875
05-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Just looking at fixtures that day hull v Leeds done as 12:00 kick off but there isn't confirmation of any games on tv yet

Hibernia&Alba
05-12-2017, 09:03 PM

That's a good fixture.

itslegaltender
05-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Not England but Cardiff is a cracking trip.

EH54
05-12-2017, 10:34 PM

Should be a great game at the piggery

vercol36
06-12-2017, 01:17 PM
United was the correct choice, mate. Wednesday are the Jambos of Sheffield :jamboak:

nellio
06-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Not England but Cardiff is a cracking trip.

My team!

Was going to mention the bluebirds but you beat me to it. Flights not too expensive either.

JohnMcM
06-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Brighton?

Hibernia&Alba
06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Brighton?

That's some trek!

Hulk1875
06-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Online it says sky have up until 8th of December to decide if they want any of fixtures between 20th Jan to 3rd Feb to be shown on tv and can change the date and time of the match. So not booking train till then knowing my luck it will be changed

JohnMcM
06-12-2017, 04:25 PM
That's some trek!

Correct.:not worth

Misread the OP's plan.

HH81
06-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Online it says sky have up until 8th of December to decide if they want any of fixtures between 20th Jan to 3rd Feb to be shown on tv and can change the date and time of the match. So not booking train till then knowing my luck it will be changed

Barnsley and Doncaster at home that day so some local games to Sheffield or hull if it does change.

Who you going to game with?

Hulk1875
06-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Barnsley and Doncaster at home that day so some local games to Sheffield or hull if it does change.

Who you going to game with?

Yeah I did look at Doncaster saw they were at home, I have my heart set on this game now so fingers crossed, heading down with the missus early train go to few local pubs before and after match soak up the match atmosphere, at night go out for drinks see what Sheffield nightlife like then back up road to Edinburgh Sunday.

Smartie
06-12-2017, 07:23 PM
I've taken a bit of a shine to Sunderland and have been to see them a couple of times recently.

They are totally crap, in deep trouble but there's something fascinating about where they find themselves. If they don't get their act together they could find themselves dropping further and their financial situation (which is dire in spite of having had Premier League millions flowing in for a decade) wouldn't really be able to withstand that.

Really easy ground to get to from Edinburgh, easy and (relatively) cheap to get tickets for and plenty of places to drink in both Sunderland and Newcastle.

Not won at home this year though, they are breaking records for their awful form and the natives are getting understandably restless. It will be pretty epic to be there when they eventually do something as simple as win a home game.

(I know you said you'd been to Sunderland before but I just thought it would be worth chucking this in).

Hulk1875
06-12-2017, 07:46 PM
I've taken a bit of a shine to Sunderland and have been to see them a couple of times recently.

They are totally crap, in deep trouble but there's something fascinating about where they find themselves. If they don't get their act together they could find themselves dropping further and their financial situation (which is dire in spite of having had Premier League millions flowing in for a decade) wouldn't really be able to withstand that.

Really easy ground to get to from Edinburgh, easy and (relatively) cheap to get tickets for and plenty of places to drink in both Sunderland and Newcastle.

Not won at home this year though, they are breaking records for their awful form and the natives are getting understandably restless. It will be pretty epic to be there when they eventually do something as simple as win a home game.

(I know you said you'd been to Sunderland before but I just thought it would be worth chucking this in).

Yeah Sunderland is great nice stadium I was in away end for Sunderland v Spurs really good atmosphere it's a shame what's going on.

Scouse Hibee
07-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Yeah Sunderland is great nice stadium I was in away end for Sunderland v Spurs really good atmosphere it's a shame what's going on.

You think so? I found it souless stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Hulk1875
18-12-2017, 08:22 PM
I really had heart set on sheffield but I just couldn't justify £158 for 2 train tickets so got tickets to Liverpool on 20th January £77 gonna go see Everton v West Brom not the most glamourous of fixtures but never had night out in Liverpool fair looking forward to it

Hulk1875
18-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Ended up deciding with Everton haha

Hibernia&Alba
18-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Ended up deciding with Everton haha

Big Sam is turning them around. Currently leading 2-1 and could go ninth.

Smartie
18-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Peach of a goal from Sigurdsson.

It got me thinking - did Sigurdsson ever score a peach for an Iceland (poss U21s) team at Easter Road? I remember a Scotland player (maybe Chris Maguire) scoring a peach from the halfway line, that may be getting me mixed up?

Scouse Hibee
18-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Peach of a goal from Sigurdsson.

It got me thinking - did Sigurdsson ever score a peach for an Iceland (poss U21s) team at Easter Road? I remember a Scotland player (maybe Chris Maguire) scoring a peach from the halfway line, that may be getting me mixed up?

Yes he did same game, Sigurdsson curled it into top corner from about 25 yards.

Bristolhibby
18-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Atmosphere is flat as a pancake though.

Can hear individual fans.

J

Hulk1875
18-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Atmosphere is flat as a pancake though.

Can hear individual fans.

J

Certainly Wasn't my first choice as I actually follow Liverpool, but cheapness of train tickets and also never actually been to Liverpool swayed my decision, went to Liverpool v arsenal about 8 years back but it was Sunday late kick off drove down and back same day.

LancashireHibby
18-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Liverpool is a cracking day out, plenty of characters and the pubs are much cheaper and closer together than Manchester. Stick to the pubs around Liverpool Central station and you’re laughing, easy train ride to Sandhills where you can catch the Soccerbus direct to Anfield/Goodison.

Must admit I had tons of quality days out last season watching Bolton in League One, be it Sheffield, London or even the likes of Chesterfield, Scunny (£1.65 a pint) and Shrewsbury in particular. Looking forward to Sheff Utd away a week on Saturday.

Hulk1875
18-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Liverpool is a cracking day out, plenty of characters and the pubs are much cheaper and closer together than Manchester. Stick to the pubs around Liverpool Central station and you’re laughing, easy train ride to Sandhills where you can catch the Soccerbus direct to Anfield/Goodison.

Must admit I had tons of quality days out last season watching Bolton in League One, be it Sheffield, London or even the likes of Chesterfield, Scunny (£1.65 a pint) and Shrewsbury in particular. Looking forward to Sheff Utd away a week on Saturday.

Quality we're staying at hotel on north John street just round from cavern club so not far away from Liverpool central

beensaidbefore
18-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Hartlepool was good fun. A bit random, but we got into the supporters club before the game.

Darlington was the 'big' town nearby, also worth a shout. Only there for a few hours but the local birdlife was impressive...😻

Hulk1875
20-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Everton v West Brom today on form gonna be a shocker but I'm going for 4-0 Everton haha