PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Meadowbank stadium

andybev1
04-12-2017, 05:24 PM
I could not believe my eyes just now coming across that this is closing for good. No closing ceremony, nothing. Surely they could have made a wee bit of a fuss for a place that must have played a place in all Edinburgers childhood whether it was intershools sports day or a visit to a sports event (went to see the Harlem Globetrotters there - twas good!).

SJNB Hibby
04-12-2017, 05:29 PM
I was there during the 1970 Commonwealth Games---went up from London and stayed with my gran at the end of London Road
Great Times---Ian Stewart, Ian McCafferty
Sad times if they just tear it down

green day
04-12-2017, 05:30 PM
I could not believe my eyes just now coming across that this is closing for good. No closing ceremony, nothing. Surely they could have made a wee bit of a fuss for a place that must have played a place in all Edinburgers childhood whether it was intershools sports day or a visit to a sports event (went to see the Harlem Globetrotters there - twas good!).

It's being rebuilt, not closing for good.

WhileTheChief..
04-12-2017, 05:32 PM
As in disappearing for good or being replaced? Used to be down there every sat morning as a kid.

Surely not just gonna be more flats?

Thecat23
04-12-2017, 05:33 PM

My memrioes of that place is being in 3rd year and sitting in front of 3 classes facing them with really small shorts on. Sadly for me everything was hanging out the left side of them for all to see and while I’m smiling away pretending to know what everyone is howling at the assistant PE teacher said not all us females want to see your hee haws!!

PE was tough after that for a while as you can imagine.

johnbc70
04-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Interscholastics!

andybev1
04-12-2017, 05:42 PM
My memrioes of that place is being in 3rd year and sitting in front of 3 classes facing them with really small shorts on. Sadly for me everything was hanging out the left side of them for all to see and while I’m smiling away pretending to know what everyone is howling at the assistant PE teacher said not all us females want to see your hee haws!!

:slipper::faf:

Famous Fiver
04-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Hope they don't get wee Budgie to build the new stand!!!

andybev1
04-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Interscholastics!

I deliberately avoided that word - always sounded wrong for a sports day.

andybev1
04-12-2017, 05:48 PM
It's being rebuilt, not closing for good.

I was a bit quick of the mark - you are right of course, thx:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/finishing-line-in-sight-as-meadowbank-plans-are-unveiled-1-4559507

Pete
04-12-2017, 05:51 PM
The sooner it goes, the sooner the pain of not being picked to be a dancer at the 1986 commonwealth games opening ceremony might leave me.

Red, white, blue...I wasn’t fussy. I just wanted a pair of Nikes.😢

andybev1
04-12-2017, 05:53 PM

I closed a door on Alan Wells as he was coming towards me off the track (about 8 yo). I did not see him but did not miss his pissed off look afterwards :greengrin

Alfiembra
04-12-2017, 06:01 PM
My mums house was just along the road in Willowbrae, spent many a happy day at Meadowbank also remember the old old Monarchs stadium that was demolished to make way for it.

Never forget going to Meadowbank Thistles first few games there and the exotic dancer at half time on the track. :thumbsup:

So sad to see it go lots of good memories there but pleased also that it’s going to be reborn.

Hibby70
04-12-2017, 06:03 PM
The sooner it goes, the sooner the pain of not being picked to be a dancer at the 1986 commonwealth games opening ceremony might leave me.

Think yourself lucky, I failed the audition. Think my dancing was ok but my singing was brutal.

Some great gigs at Meadowbank over the years, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Pixies, Prince and Mighty Lemon Drops.

7heaven
04-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Best memory of Meadowbank was Edinburgh Marathon 1984.
Finished joint 25 th.
Ran over finishing line with my mate Dennis Bell in 2hrs. 34 min my PB.
Checked full results in Edinburgh Evening News midweek.
They missed me out.😣😣😣.
Luckily got photograph for proof.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2017, 06:11 PM

Just binned my scotch eggs

Thecat23
04-12-2017, 06:14 PM

😂 sorry.

Thecat23
04-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I closed a door on Alan Wells as he was coming towards me off the track (about 8 yo). I did not see him but did not miss his pissed off look afterwards :greengrin

Haha at least you didn’t flash him.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2017, 06:22 PM
I represented my primary school in the 100 meters and won it but got disqualified thinking back i think the umpire was Craig Thompson

Bostonhibby
04-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Loads of memories. Used to live right next to it. My dads mate managed the stadium for a while, Watched through the fence many a time, went to games there and still got a programme or two.

Hope they do the site justice and the city don't end up with a monstrosity like the megastand at gorgie.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Pete
04-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Think yourself lucky, I failed the audition. Think my dancing was ok but my singing was brutal.

Lol I think my singing actually offended them. Can’t remember much but we were prancing round the stadium and had learned all the songs so maybe I was one of the last ones to get knocked out.

We got spectator tickets for the ceremony as a family member was in it. I remember being mortified as my parents refused to stand for the National anthem and it felt like the whole stadium was watching. Kind of proud of them now for standing by their convictions.

connerg
04-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Interscholastics!

Competed three times for Wardie, relay, sprint and the long jump. Great memories.

Thecat23
04-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Used to love 100m sprints I was rapid. Cross country on the other hand I remember the PE teacher picking me up on the braid hills in the Libby high school bus, along with couple of slightly chubbier pupils. For some reason I just couldn’t run far without wanting to sit down I was skinny as well.

Firestarter
04-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Uncle used to play for Medowbank my Grandad used to take me. Also won the 80m sprint in the inter scholastics. Loved it when I was wee. Think the last time I was there was to see Snow Patrol in 2006. Regular fives on a Sunday with the tkmaxx bunch early 00s was class too.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2017, 06:44 PM
PE teacher? Bobby Ford Mr staite Mr Doubie? Miss Faulkner

Firestarter
04-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Used to love 100m sprints I was rapid. Cross country on the other hand I remember the PE teacher picking me up on the braid hills in the Libby high school bus, along with couple of slightly chubbier pupils. For some reason I just couldn’t run far without wanting to sit down I was skinny as well.

I'm sure it was 80m which was kids equivalent back in the day. Long distance we done at meggetland.

I'm_cabbaged
04-12-2017, 06:46 PM

That must of been shan considering you went to Gracemount 😂😂

Peevemor
04-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Played pipes at the 86 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. I can't remember much about it though having spent about 5 hours in the Golden Gates beforehand.

For some reason I also went to a Radio 1 roadshow there which was excruciating.

The Harp
04-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Was sad to see the end of Meadowbank at the w/end. We moved into the area just after the 1970 Games and used the track, squash and badminton courts regularly over the years. A personal highlight for me was finishing on the track after completing the 1st Edinburgh Marathon in 1982 with my wife and kids watching (and freezing) from the stand.

Greencore
04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Uncle played for medowbank thistle. Went their for P.E a few times... meh

04-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Some great memories of Meadowbank but unfortunately another example of how inept the Council are at delivering quality sports facilities in Edinburgh.Should have been replaced years ago, and now they will fund their poor planning by selling of facilities elsewhere for development and turning large proportion of the available space at Meadowbank into housing.

Firestarter
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Some great memories of Meadowbank but unfortunately another example of how inept the Council are at delivering quality sports facilities in Edinburgh.Should have been replaced years ago, and now they will fund their poor planning by selling of facilities elsewhere for development and turning large proportion of the available space at Meadowbank into housing.

Too busy pouring money into helping Hearts and Saughton which is right beside the council offices on Gorgie road.

Bishop Hibee
04-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Scene of one of my finest sporting achievements, getting to the final of the 100m interscholastics! I remember seeing the Edinburgh Highland Games there. Fireworks. 7-a-side on the astro for years. A few Meadowbank Thistle games. Edinburgh City v Hibs most recently.

Really riled me that a downscale version is being built to “replace” it. We really are a society in decline.

ancient hibee
04-12-2017, 08:19 PM
In one of my vain getting fit periods I was lapped by David Jenkins.He did two circuits full out while I managed one.
We used to play 5 asides indoors on a Monday night.£1 to hire the hall for an hour.

Scott Allan Key
04-12-2017, 08:25 PM

They can get a bit whiffy without an airing.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Real sad time.

Was once a proud venue and spent many years doing various sports and watching some concerts there.

The thing it’s being replaced with is a joke. Sub standard athletic track with an indoor facility that is blown out the water by most in Europe. Add Aberdeen to that list which has good facilities. If anyone has been to Pitreavie In Dunfermline, that’s what we are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halmyre Hibee
04-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Miss Faulkner was tidy in my Libby days (1972-78) and years later I played bowls at the same bowling club as her dad Vic. She married a rugby player and Liberton teacher Dave Cockburn. Dick Staite now Sir Richard Staite was my year head and he played for Clyde & Partick Thistle. Bobby Ford played for Raith Rovers & Dundee. Jim Daubney managed our team that got to the Secondary Shield final at Hampden in 1978 (lost 2-0)

My mate was involved with Edinburgh Southern Harriers at Fernieside and they moved to Meadowbank. I've ran round that track a few times. Also played basketball for school there and five a sides. It was really smart when it opened for the 1970 Commonwealth Games and I watched the British International games there. Even watched a Meadowbank v St Johnstone QF cup tie there in 1984.

Good old days.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Duabey became a scout for the rangers and Mr Fraser chemistry Man utd

Pretty Boy
04-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Alex Arthur v Michael Gomez is my abiding memory of Meadowbank.

One of the best fights ever seen in the UK and that is no exaggeration, for the 5 rounds it lasted it was unbelievable. Obviously I was rooting for the local hero but I always liked Gómez, when he was fit and in the mood he was a brilliant inside fighter. He was electric that night and at one stage landed 28 unanswered punches.

The atmosphere was amazing and it’s a shame Edinburgh doesn’t have an upgraded facility capable of staging events like that now.

https://youtu.be/gh4mcJTcies

Fred Perry
04-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Won the interscholastic 800m there around 1982, decided to sprint from the start, went about a hundred metres clear then held on to win by my nose! Got backpage headline with my name on it in the evening news and everything, lol. Still got the newspaper cutting somewhere.

Halmyre Hibee
04-12-2017, 08:50 PM

I'm sure Daubney was on Mortons books at some time. Didn't know he scouted for Rangers must have been after my time there. Forgot about George Fraser he was a good guy stayed in Musselburgh. He was scouting for Man Utd when I was there. The only guys that made it from my time there was Eamonn Bannon (2 years above me), Stevie Richardson & Raymond McIntosh who both played for Rangers for a short spell.

hibee
04-12-2017, 08:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/e84988743916d8ae0bb4d870411e0c17.jpg

Firestarter
04-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Alex Arthur v Michael Gomez is my abiding memory of Meadowbank.

One of the best fights ever seen in the UK and that is no exaggeration, for the 5 rounds it lasted it was unbelievable. Obviously I was rooting for the local hero but I always liked Gómez, when he was fit and in the mood he was a brilliant inside fighter. He was electric that night and at one stage landed 28 unanswered punches.

The atmosphere was amazing and it’s a shame Edinburgh doesn’t have an upgraded facility capable of staging events like that now.

https://youtu.be/gh4mcJTcies

That was some night. Kicking off on London road after too. My first boxing live.

Firestarter
04-12-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm sure Daubney was on Mortons books at some time. Didn't know he scouted for Rangers must have been after my time there. Forgot about George Fraser he was a good guy stayed in Musselburgh. He was scouting for Man Utd when I was there. The only guys that made it from my time there was Eamonn Bannon (2 years above me), Stevie Richardson & Raymond McIntosh who both played for Rangers for a short spell.

That's purely because Rangers wouldn't sign anyone from Holyrood at the time.

Swedish hibee
04-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Is/was that the only sports center in Edinburgh? Or are there many others?

majorhibs
04-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Scene of one of my finest sporting achievements, getting to the final of the 100m interscholastics! I remember seeing the Edinburgh Highland Games there. Fireworks. 7-a-side on the astro for years. A few Meadowbank Thistle games. Edinburgh City v Hibs most recently.

Really riled me that a downscale version is being built to “replace” it. We really are a society in decline.

[QUOTE=NorthNorfolkHFC;5236746]Real sad time.

Was once a proud venue and spent many years doing various sports and watching some concerts there.

The thing it’s being replaced with is a joke. Sub standard athletic track with an indoor facility that is blown out the water by most in Europe. Add Aberdeen to that list which has good facilities. If anyone has been to Pitreavie In Dunfermline, that’s what we are getting.

All about the cash, & locals who have used these facilities since 70's getting fobbed off with lesser inferior facilities while council making dough on land sold for housing. Typical nowadays.
Incidentally, my 1st memory of Meadowbank, whose got earlier? Dragged into building site while out playing with 2 big bro's, 1969 probably, a Scaffolder drops a tube which just misses my head but squashes my foot, resulting in first 3 stitches of my life. Auld Lady gave everyone nearby a total roasting once she found out. That was mair terrifying than anything else at age 3!

johnbc70
04-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Remember taking my daughter to the soft play there and finding a dead mouse in the ball pit.

MKHIBEE
04-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Lol I think my singing actually offended them. Can’t remember much but we were prancing round the stadium and had learned all the songs so maybe I was one of the last ones to get knocked out.

We got spectator tickets for the ceremony as a family member was in it. I remember being mortified as my parents refused to stand for the National anthem and it felt like the whole stadium was watching. Kind of proud of them now for standing by their convictions.

My wife and myself were at the Woman’s FA Cup final between Arsenal and Everton in Milton Keynes 3 or 4 years back and my wife she wasn’t standing for the anthem so we both sat through it. Some very strange looks came our way but no one challenged us.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Bannon leaving at the end off my first year s .Ritchardson 2 years older than me.

O'Rourke3
04-12-2017, 10:47 PM
As a nine year old being in awe of the scale of the place just walking past. Portobello High used it extensively when I was there so badminton, squash, volleyball, handball, table tennis, weights, climbing wall, basketball. I used the gym regularly and played 5s many times. My last trip was last year to watch Roller Derby. Pity to see its decline but its been unloved for years. I'm sure athletics will be well looked after once Hearts reveals the retractable running track they've securely built. Either that or we wait for Lothian's next Alf Tupper.

Mixu62
04-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Briefly ran for Edinburgh athletic club there and went to many Meadowbank thistle games. Really shan how they were never allowed to play hibs or hearts in cup ties there when you see the joke that is tynecastle!

CMurdoch
05-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Best memory of Meadowbank was Edinburgh Marathon 1984.
Finished joint 25 th.
Ran over finishing line with my mate Dennis Bell in 2hrs. 34 min my PB.
Checked full results in Edinburgh Evening News midweek.
They missed me out.😣😣😣.
Luckily got photograph for proof.

That is heavy duty quality running 7h

CraigHibee
05-12-2017, 01:36 AM

My big sister was in the opening ceremony, she had red joggies and top

CraigHibee
05-12-2017, 01:37 AM
I went to judo there years ago and remember having to run up and down the stairs around the track for warm up, was brutal 😂

CraigHibee
05-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Is/was that the only sports center in Edinburgh? Or are there many others?

There are plenty of gyms in Edinburgh but this had running track, velodrome, swimming, football pitches as well, I also remember there being an outdoor arena as well which burned to the ground late 80's/early 90's which was in some big white inflatable looking thing

147lothian
05-12-2017, 09:06 AM

I had a standard membership for Meadowbank, I was only going there about twice a week in an attempt to get a wee bit fitter, I was there for the very last time on Saturday, I couldn't really say there was no ceremony because there was a few orange and blue balloons scattered about, lol, the good thing about the standard membership at Meadowbank is that its now been upgraded to a full membership, so I can now go to any council gym and I still only get charged standard rates, result.

Meadowbank will re-open as a purpose built gym in Easter 2020

Billy McKirdy
05-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Remember it was an annual highlight to get along to Meadowbank when I was a kid to meet the legend who led the Evening News charity walk every year because he also had a prime time Saturday show on the tv, his name thankfully escapes me..

Peevemor
05-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Remember it was an annual highlight to get along to Meadowbank when I was a kid to meet the legend who led the Evening News charity walk every year because he also had a prime time Saturday show on the tv, his name thankfully escapes me..

I hope he didn't fix it for you.

Forza Fred
05-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Remember Old Meadowbank, where some amateur finals were played, before it, and the speedway were bulldozed for what for a short time at least was referred to as 'New Meadowbank'

Just prior to opening in 1970 on the way home from the Hibsclub actually got on to the 'tartan track' which felt like bouncy rubber!

I used to run about for my boss who was on the Telecommunications committee for the games too.

Guess just another changing face of Edinburgh on the journey of life.

Billy McKirdy
05-12-2017, 10:55 AM
I hope he didn't fix it for you.

I was one of the lucky ones 🤔 No 😂

Forza Fred
05-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Also how could I forget.......!

Circa 1973 was part of the Hibs Supporters Club team in the annual charity walk.....still got the photo somewhere that shows me, current director Frank Dougan, former HSA chairman, Ronnie Ferguson, one of Edinburgh's best known amateur fitba players...Davy Jeffrey and a young Jimmy Rafferty from Giles Street....all Carlton Branch members at the time...even though Davy was a jambo!

We were at various differing levels of fitness, but I astounded myself by actually crossing the finishing line inside Meadowbank Stadium legitimately in 5th place!

Not bad as there were about 1500 entrants.

Just outside the criteria for official recognition, but not a bad feat/feet!

Remember getting very drunk after and getting hauled up for missing work the next day!

scotia44
05-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Went to the wrestling with my dad and uncle regularly as a nipper loved it !
Fit Finlay Haystacks Big Daddy Tony St Clair brilliant times seen great names wrestle there.
It is past its sell by date and needs updating but unfortunately this council isn't renowned for getting things right:rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
05-12-2017, 12:51 PM
The thing it’s being replaced with is a joke. Sub standard athletic track with an indoor facility that is blown out the water by most in Europe. Add Aberdeen to that list which has good facilities. If anyone has been to Pitreavie In Dunfermline, that’s what we are getting

:agree:

For Scotland's capital city it's still going to be light years behind most other athletics facilities in the country...even Kilmarnock is better

The 'grass' in the middle will be artificial so throws won't even take place in the stadium, but on a bit of grass outside

Ray_
05-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Around 1971, as a 15YO, I had stitches put in my finger following an accident at work. I was due to get them out on the Sunday, but instead watched a five a side tournament involving the local [senior] teams at Meadowbank. A year or so earlier it was played at the Murryfield Ice Rink & Hibs won the tournament spectacular fashion with Eric Stevenson & Kenny Davidson running amok. I we won 9-1 against Hearts in an earlier round and scored 11 against Dunfermline in the final at Murryfield, so there was noway I was going to miss the following year's spectacular. My one and only visit to Meadowbank sadly.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-eric-stevenson-on-his-love-affair-with-hibs-1-4313983

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2017, 09:43 PM

I got the blue one.
Wi the superman cape attached to the back of it.

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Watched Steve Davis play Hurricane Higgins there.

Onceinawhile
05-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Bobby ford happens to be my (jambo) uncle.

There was a closing ceremony as well, for some athletes who had set records at meadowbank.

green day
05-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Didn't realise Daubney was a Hun. Mr Fraser was a great guy when I was at Libby (left in 85).

A fair few footballers around my time, couple of guys in my big sisters year, Brian Donaldson a keeper at Dundee Utd, and Bobby Ford's wee brother was on Hearts books for a while.

There was also a younger guy on Rangers books, can't remember his name.

As to tidy teachers, seem to remember a french teacher that has something 😀

WoreTheGreen
05-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Didn't realise Daubney was a Hun. Mr Fraser was a great guy when I was at Libby (left in 85).

A fair few footballers around my time, couple of guys in my big sisters year, Brian Donaldson a keeper at Dundee Utd, and Bobby Ford's wee brother was on Hearts books for a while.

There was also a younger guy on Rangers books, can't remember his name.

As to tidy teachers, seem to remember a french teacher that has something 😀
Fords wee brother Graham never on herts books . Scott Burnside signed for the huns

Jonnyboy
05-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Fond memories of Meadowbank. Used to go the speedway before the new centre was built. I was captain of our school (Liberton) fencing team and as such I got to steward at the Commonwealth games. My lasting memory was watching Lachie Stewart coming home for the 10,000 metres Gold and being handed a giant teddy bear after he'd crossed the line :greengrin

Watched and played fives there over the years

Sad that it was allowed to fall into such disrepair but (like the St James Centre) looked well past it's sell by date and needed replaced

WoreTheGreen
05-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Not many signed for Hibs?

hibby6270
05-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Let’s not forget Meadowbank was also home of speedway team Edinburgh Monarchs up until it was redeveloped pre 1970. Spent many a happy Saturday night there watching the likes of the Harkins brothers and Dougie Templeton (to name a few) racing round the cinder dirt track. The smell of the fuel and dirt still lives with me.

Also a few other memories...........
Couple of visits for athletics at the 1970 Games - ✅
Step daughter took part in opening ceremony for the 1986 Games - ✅
Played a lot of badminton in the centre - ✅
Saw Elton John in concert in June 2016 - ✅
Finally and most importantly seeing the Holy Grail paraded before the Edinburgh City friendly in 2016 - ✅ ✅

Northernhibee
05-12-2017, 10:15 PM
The best line-up for a gig I've ever been to was at the Meadowbank. Pixies, Idlewild, Teenage Fanclub and My Latest Novel. Great day.

green day
05-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Fords wee brother Graham never on herts books . Scott Burnside signed for the huns

Must be getting mixed up about Graham Ford! Wasn't Scott Burnside I was thinking about, maybe Sandy Robertson but he wasn't Libby.

In any event, they were all much better at fitba than me 😀.

Shame about Meadowbank, esp when you see the facilities in Glasgow post commonwealth games...... although who knows if they are making the likes of the velodrome pay.

Firestarter
05-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Darren Jackson.

inglisavhibs
05-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Must be getting mixed up about Graham Ford! Wasn't Scott Burnside I was thinking about, maybe Sandy Robertson but he wasn't Libby.

In any event, they were all much better at fitba than me 😀.

Shame about Meadowbank, esp when you see the facilities in Glasgow post commonwealth games...... although who knows if they are making the likes of the velodrome pay.
Fordy starred for Longniddry Amateurs:wink:

Hibby70
05-12-2017, 11:29 PM
The best line-up for a gig I've ever been to was at the Meadowbank. Pixies, Idlewild, Teenage Fanclub and My Latest Novel. Great day.

My lasting memory of that gig was the two boys having a triple jump contest absolutely blootered. The crowd clapping as they took their run ups.

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Pretty much a toilet though.

Halmyre Hibee
06-12-2017, 12:50 AM
Around 1971, as a 15YO, I had stitches put in my finger following an accident at work. I was due to get them out on the Sunday, but instead watched a five a side tournament involving the local [senior] teams at Meadowbank. A year or so earlier it was played at the Murryfield Ice Rink & Hibs won the tournament spectacular fashion with Eric Stevenson & Kenny Davidson running amok. I we won 9-1 against Hearts in an earlier round and scored 11 against Dunfermline in the final at Murryfield, so there was noway I was going to miss the following year's spectacular. My one and only visit to Meadowbank sadly.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-eric-stevenson-on-his-love-affair-with-hibs-1-4313983

I was at that Murrayfield event and I have the programme somewhere.

andybev1
06-12-2017, 03:07 AM

In any event, they were all much better at fitba than me ��.

Sandy was at gracemount - played with gers. Also Hibby Darren Salton who was in the same year as sandy at gracemount (maybe the year below) and played for Luton Town until a terrible car crash ended his career. . He also played with Scotland under 21's. Looking at wikipedia paul telfer was also in the crash but luckily did not get injured.. Wow, did not know his dad played for hibs too. Glad to see Darren has gotten back into football (or was going in that direction).

mikewynne
06-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Did running, badminton, rock climbing and football there as a kid then many, many years of playing football indoors and outside as an adult. Also saw some track and field event there a long time ago, laughed at some guy falling head first in the water right in front of us during the steeplechase. :). And then there were the Meadowbank Thistle games. Loved the place!

cocteautwin
06-12-2017, 05:38 AM
One of my favourite memories of Meadowbank was being in the crowd welcoming the open top bus for Alan Wells when he came back from the Moscow Olympics with his 2 medals. Did you know he was the last white man to win the Olympic 100m? Am I allowed to say that? *****. I'm in trouble aren't I? Let's not have a heated debate.

andybev1
06-12-2017, 10:13 AM
One of my favourite memories of Meadowbank was being in the crowd welcoming the open top bus for Alan Wells when he came back from the Moscow Olympics with his 2 medals. Did you know he was the last white man to win the Olympic 100m? Am I allowed to say that? *****. I'm in trouble aren't I? Let's not have a heated debate.

I think it is alright unless he dressed as a back guy - say mr T. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
06-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Sorry if already mentioned but will Edinburgh City be relocated elsewhere?

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Sorry if already mentioned but will Edinburgh City be relocated elsewhere?

They are playing at Ainslie Park at the moment.

SirDavidsNapper
06-12-2017, 11:01 AM
They are playing at Ainslie Park at the moment.

Ah ok didn't know that 👍

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Ah ok didn't know that 👍

👍

BullsCloseHibs
06-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Busiest game i was ever at at M'bank was v Aberdeen in League Cup. Dons filled the big stand. 1-5 or 1-4 Aberdeen i think? And that was the classy Aberdeen team with Jim Leighton et al.

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Busiest game i was ever at at M'bank was v Aberdeen in League Cup. Dons filled the big stand. 1-5 or 1-4 Aberdeen i think? And that was the classy Aberdeen team with Jim Leighton et al.

I went to a cup replay there and it was sold out early/mid 90s I can't remember the team playing against though. I remember they played Killie also.

overdrive
06-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Too busy pouring money into helping Hearts and Saughton which is right beside the council offices on Gorgie road.

I think you are reading too much into this. There are no Council offices on Gorgie Road and there haven't been for a while.

I used to go play squash and badminton at Meadowbank until a couple of years ago. It was in bad need of a refurb but I can't help but think the replacement facilities are going to be a bit half-baked, especially since the site will be smaller as some of it is being sold for development.

ancient hibee
06-12-2017, 12:48 PM
There were two stadiums there when the speedway was at its peak,Old and New Meadowbank.

Numptie
06-12-2017, 12:50 PM
My dad (council architect) helped to design the stadium for the commonwealth games. All the designers wanted a four sided stadium where the pitches are now - the powers that be went for a single stand with temporary stands - to save money. My dad's major claim to fame was designing the longest urinal in Europe (at the time).

hibee_nation
06-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Was on the telly at the europa games mid seventies. Was standing at the start line with Lasse Viren to collect his trackie as he got ready. Finnish middle and long distance runner for the younger ones.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-12-2017, 12:57 PM

You'll be ok until MWC reads it.

DarrenSQH
06-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Im surprised Hibs never moved there. Was it ever suggested?

At the time we had one old main stand and terracing and they had 7000 seats in a new stand, less than a mile away.

MB62
06-12-2017, 01:02 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/council-haven-t-supported-clubs-hit-by-meadowbank-closure-says-former-boxing-champ-1-4632268

I wonder if have any spare space at Easter Road where we could help out with something like this?

A small source of income for the club but more importantly, helping the community.

heretoday
06-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Back in 1980 we had a wee flat in Meadowbank off Marionville Rd. It was possible, in warm weather, to open the window and watch Thistle play while having a bath. You had to stretch a bit but we were younger and more athletic then.

Iggy Pope
06-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Was on the telly at the europa games mid seventies. Was standing at the start line with Lasse Viren to collect his trackie as he got ready. Finnish middle and long distance runner for the younger ones.

I got Alan Pascoe's autograph at this event.

Craig_HFC
06-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Just you.

WoreTheGreen
06-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Just you.

Yes and dream come true

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Yes and dream come true

Your name, Sir?

WoreTheGreen
06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Your name, Sir?

I am just a fan who was lucky and proud to " wore the green"

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I am just a fan who was lucky and proud to " wore the green"

👍 Jealous. 😂

WoreTheGreen
06-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Anyone who is not a hibby should be

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Anyone who is not a hibby should be

?

WoreTheGreen
06-12-2017, 06:00 PM
?

Munro

SonOfDavidFrancey
06-12-2017, 09:22 PM
I ran in the relay for holy cross primary in the Inter scholastics (we called them the inter school spas*ics ) there in 1971. Tartan track was a novelty.

inglisavhibs
06-12-2017, 09:55 PM
There were two stadiums there when the speedway was at its peak,Old and New Meadowbank.
Anybody remember Edinburgh Norton playing at New Meadowbank?

heretoday
06-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Anybody remember Edinburgh Norton playing at New Meadowbank?

Edinburgh Monarchs?

inglisavhibs
06-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Edinburgh Monarchs?
Nah watched the Monarchs at Old Meadowbank every week (Ian Hoskins was the promoter) and Bernie Persson was my favourite rider. I seem to remember watching my cousin Ian MacKellor playing for Edinburgh Norton (i think they were an under 21 team) at New Meadowbank.

ancient hibee
06-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Might have been a local final.They were a secondary juvenile team .

Firestarter
06-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Munro

You have a pm; please be kind enough to reply.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
06-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Sad to see the old place go, used to got to the indoor rock climbing back in the mid 70s & also played 5 a side with the cubs in some sort of tournament? Walked us all from the hall next to the church at the top of Easter Road all the way down on a cold November night.............funny how that sticks.:rolleyes:
Often as lads we would climb over the fence & run up & down the main stand just for fun. know one ever threw us out.
Also remember going to some kind of "Superstars" event in around 75/76ish? where our very own Arthur Duncan was taking place in the sprint (100 metres I think) remember getting right down on the track next to him at the end, he seemed so big at the time, I was totally in awe standing next to of one of my favourite players of the day.:not worth
I also have a old piece of cine film showing some speedway at Old Meadowbank taken in the 60's sometime.

Happy days indeed.

majorhibs
06-12-2017, 11:49 PM
After 1 o the sprints there, on our way back fi whaeever Hibs were playin that day, Spotted Archie & BBC interviewin winner of said sprint, exuberant young 11/12 yr old me proceeded to bounce up & down in back of camera shot, & even managed to fire off a “hiya Mum”, soon as cameras stopped, Archie, who was a big joker in his stupid long sheepskin, turned round, & said “take this” & booted me in the backside & nearly launched me into orbit! Man, that was sair! Nae worryin about PC in them days!

chrisski33
07-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Its a dump! Thank god its getting rebuilt!