PDA

View Full Version : Team V Strasbourg...better or worse than current team ?

worcesterhibby
04-12-2017, 04:23 PM
I've just been watching us playing Strasbourg in the Uefa Cup in 1978..made me wonder who would win if the current team was pitted against that 1978 team. Thoughts ?

https://youtu.be/-gBCZQwaL2o

G B Young
04-12-2017, 04:39 PM
By 1978 the quality of the Hibs team had fallen away quite significantly from the days of the Tornadoes but there were still some good players in there. Des Bremner was classy, Ally McLeod was a good striker and Arthur Duncan still had pace to burn. I liked Bobby Smith too, while George Stewart, Tony Higgins and Gordon Rae were big, heart on the sleeve types.

Where I suspect today's team would win comfortably would be when it came to fitness levels. The pace of the game has, in my view, upped considerably since those days.

worcesterhibby
04-12-2017, 04:55 PM
By 1978 the quality of the Hibs team had fallen away quite significantly from the days of the Tornadoes but there were still some good players in there. Des Bremner was classy, Ally McLeod was a good striker and Arthur Duncan still had pace to burn. I liked Bobby Smith too, while George Stewart, Tony Higgins and Gordon Rae were big, heart on the sleeve types.

Where I suspect today's team would win comfortably would be when it came to fitness levels. The pace of the game has, in my view, upped considerably since those days.

I was only 10 when the match was played and I was still a few weeks away from attending my first game. I didn't really have the ability to judge the players of the time at that age. Bremner left the year after and was soon a European Cup and European Super Cup winner as well as winning the English top flight. I loved Ally Mcleod and I suspect he had as much skill and flair as anyone in the current team, but he was nothing like as athletic as the modern game demands as you pointed out. Duncan was still a great player on his day, but I've always felt his better days were behind him when I saw him play from 78-84. Gordon Rae would be fine in the current team..hugely strong, very fit and always committed.

number9dream
04-12-2017, 05:11 PM
One of my earliest memories of Easter Road. I can't recall too much about it but was greatly taken by a few airhorns adding to the 'Euro atmosphere' under the lights.

crewetollhibee
04-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Was there too, didn’t we have a wee winger called Willie Temperley then ?

IlDiavola
04-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Was there too, didn’t we have a wee winger called Willie Temperley then ?

Yep. Ex Celtic.

calumhibee1
04-12-2017, 05:50 PM
I know nothing about the 1978 team as it was well before my time but it's safe to say the current team would beat them. :agree:

G B Young
04-12-2017, 06:08 PM
One of my earliest memories of Easter Road. I can't recall too much about it but was greatly taken by a few airhorns adding to the 'Euro atmosphere' under the lights.

The footage posted is of the away leg, which we lost (I think) 1-0 or 2-0 (haven't watched it yet!) after a 1-1 draw at ER. Looked like a good crowd in France.

My memories are hazy, but I think we signed the Norwegian duo Refvik and Mathieson around this time but for whatever reason they couldn't play in this game. Refvik in particular was a real wee buzzbomb and could have done Hibs a lot of good if we'd been able to hold on to him for longer, but some sort of red tape meant the pair had to return to Norway.

weecounty hibby
04-12-2017, 06:11 PM
McNamara = Hanlon, Rae = MCGregor. Bremner would walk Into the team, Bobby Smith was a decent player and would quite possibly be In today's team, Ally McLeod would get a game for anybody in the SPL, total legend and so so gifted one of my all time hibs heroes, Arthur would get a game before Boyle. Close game probably and hard to call a winner. Today's players are definitely fitter and stronger but not necessarily better

weecounty hibby
04-12-2017, 06:13 PM
The footage posted is of the away leg, which we lost (I think) 1-0 or 2-0 (haven't watched it yet!) after a 1-1 draw at ER. Looked like a good crowd in France.

My memories are hazy, but I think we signed the Norwegian duo Refvik and Mathieson around this time but for whatever reason they couldn't play in this game. Refvik in particular was a real wee buzzbomb and could have done Hibs a lot of good if we'd been able to hold on to him for longer, but some sort of red tape meant the pair had to return to Norway.
Refvik and Mathieson were both very good but Refvik looked like he could have been a star. Home office refused them work permits is my recollection of events. Both could have helped halt the slide of the time

Skol
04-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Lost 2-0 away and won 1-0 at home. Ally Mcleod. Loved getting the programme to find the french goalie was called Dominique Dropsy. Those were the days. European football as it should be

worcesterhibby
04-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Lost 2-0 away and won 1-0 at home. Ally Mcleod. Loved getting the programme to find the french goalie was called Dominique Dropsy. Those were the days. European football as it should be

We were awarded a weird penalty at home, Ally had a bit of a late kick at the goalie when he gathered a ball. He trotted away as the keeper had the ball under control and was shoved by a French defender. Ally went down and a penalty was awarded. I think it would be an indirect free kick these days.

Tomsk
04-12-2017, 10:58 PM
It really was a mixed bag of a team that Hibs put out in that away leg. There are players there like Jackie Macnamara and Des Bremner who would push their way into consideration for selection of any Hibs team of the last 45 years. But they are playing alongside the likes of Bobby Hutchison and Colin Campbell, who to put it kindly were starkly symptomatic of Hibs' decline in the later years of Turnbull's time in charge at the club. And I just about fell over when I saw Arthur Duncan at right back and Gordon Rae in centre mid.

For what it's worth I think the current lot would beat the '78 team nine times out of ten -- the '78 team is carrying too much dross. Macnamara was a better player than Hanlon, Stewart was on a par with MacGregor, Smith was far better than Stevenson, and Bremner and MacLeod would be positive additions to the current squad. But you just can't hide the likes of Campbell, Hutchison and even Higgins. And a left winger whose best days were behind him playing right back speaks volumes -- try imagining Ivan Sproule in his second spell at Hibs playing left back.

Billy McKirdy
04-12-2017, 11:19 PM
That game and the previous game in the first round against Norkopping were my first European games, from what I remember we were unlucky not to win that tie, little did I know it would be 10 years until we qualified again

majorhibs
04-12-2017, 11:26 PM
That game and the previous game in the first round against Norkopping were my first European games, from what I remember we were unlucky not to win that tie, little did I know it would be 10 years until we qualified again

Atmosphere that night against Strasbourg was electric! Being young in amongst aulder mair experienced Hibbies, ye kinda think that’s what’s coming every year! But that was a great Euro night for an 11 yr old to be at! That is fitba for me. Pity EUFA & Platini messed it aw up wi their greed.

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2017, 11:29 PM
It really was a mixed bag of a team that Hibs put out in that away leg. There are players there like Jackie Macnamara and Des Bremner who would push their way into consideration for selection of any Hibs team of the last 45 years. But they are playing alongside the likes of Bobby Hutchison and Colin Campbell, who to put it kindly were starkly symptomatic of Hibs' decline in the later years of Turnbull's time in charge at the club. And I just about fell over when I saw Arthur Duncan at right back and Gordon Rae in centre mid.

For what it's worth I think the current lot would beat the '78 team nine times out of ten -- the '78 team is carrying too much dross. Macnamara was a better player than Hanlon, Stewart was on a par with MacGregor, Smith was far better than Stevenson, and Bremner and MacLeod would be positive additions to the current squad. But you just can't hide the likes of Campbell, Hutchison and even Higgins. And a left winger whose best days were behind him playing right back speaks volumes -- try imagining Ivan Sproule in his second spell at Hibs playing left back.

You were a star on the Calendar Thread.

You're missed, with your irregular posting on here nowadays.

Always welcome reading when you do post :aok:

Would agree, think the current team have just edged it. Bremner would definitely find a position. MacNamara competing with the current CHs.