PDA

View Full Version : One footed players

Alfiembra
04-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Is it my imagination or does it seem that there are an awful lot of one footed players around just now?

Martin Boyle had a glorious chance to put us two up at the weekend when the ball was squared to him across the box but he let it run past his left peg and tried to get it on his right but by then it was too late and the chance was lost.

Stokesy's the same or at least appears to be very one footed.

Any others you can think of and who was the last truely two footed player we've had.

Mr White
04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Is it my imagination or does it seem that there are an awful lot of one footed players around just now?

Martin Boyle had a glorious chance to put us two up at the weekend when the ball was squared to him across the box but he let it run past his left peg and tried to get it on his right but by then it was too late and the chance was lost.

Any others you can think of and who was the last truely two footed player we've had.
Stokes is good with both feet IMO. Famous example of that being his deliberately checking onto his left to hit the shot that lead to a late corner in the cup final :whistle:

calumhibee1
04-12-2017, 09:59 AM

I highly doubt it痴 any different to previous eras. As for two footed players, Deek was as close to a two footer as well see id think. Santi Cazorla at Arsenal takes corners with both feet I知 sure aswell?

Bostonhibby
04-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Has Cole the goal Stockton only got one foot?

Being challenged to the tune of one in the foot department would certainly account for his current goalscoring record at Hearts.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

snooky
04-12-2017, 10:06 AM

I couldn't believe it when Boyler had to switch feet. It was a tap in with his left. Of course folk will say Maradona had only one foot - aye, okay he did but let's get real. A professional player these days especially should be able kick with both feet. If I can train myself to do it against the back wall of my house surely it's not too hard a skill for a Pro to learn.

Alfiembra
04-12-2017, 10:14 AM
I couldn't believe it when Boyler had to switch feet. It was a tap in with his left. Of course folk will say Madonna had only one foot - aye, okay he did but let's get real. A professional player these days especially should be able kick with both feet. If I can train myself to do it against the back wall of my house surely it's not too hard a skill for a Pro to learn.

Didn't realise Madonna was a bloke :greengrin

Bristolhibby
04-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Steven Fletcher.

Right foot was for standing only.

My brothers an odd one. Right handed, but left footed. Catches with his left, and throws with his right (but like a baseball fielder).

J

snooky
04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

:doh: me. :faf: (typo now corrected)

Actually she played for Isla Bonita FC. :wink:

Nicho87
04-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I remember an interview after hibs played Celtic I'm sure and bobby Williamson was sick of the media going on about lubo moravcik sure he said jarko wiss is two footed as well but no one goes on about him.

Deary me bobby.

Hibee87
04-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I might be wrong (not watched highlights yet) but my view of the boyle chance was more the fact the ball came to him at a bit of pace causing him to have to stop it with his right. He could have swung at it wildly but when a ball is played in at you at pace your always going to take a touch unless its put into your stride.
Of course I could watch the highlights and be prved wrong here

Iain G
04-12-2017, 11:07 AM
I remember an interview after hibs played Celtic I'm sure and bobby Williamson was sick of the media going on about lubo moravcik sure he said jarko wiss is two footed as well but no one goes on about him.

Deary me bobby.

Jamie McQuilken was equally pish with both feet, does that count?

bigwheel
04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Jamie McQuilken was equally pish with both feet, does that count?

He is up there with Colin Murdoch amongst my "worst ever" list...

cowdenhibby
04-12-2017, 11:10 AM
:wink:
Has Cole the goal Stockton only got one foot?

Being challenged to the tune of one in the foot department would certainly account for his current goalscoring record at Hearts.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
04-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Jase was as one footed a player as I can remember.

Hibee Mac
04-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Steven Fletcher.

My brothers an odd one. Right handed, but left footed. Catches with his left, and throws with his right (but like a baseball fielder).

J

Your brother is the same as me then! (Although I don't catch with one hand and throw with the other, that's a step too far...

Peevemor
04-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Steven Fletcher.

J

My 8 year old daughter writes with her left hand but does everything else right handed (and seems to be naturally right footed on the odd occasion that she plays football).

Biggie
04-12-2017, 12:04 PM
I might be wrong (not watched highlights yet) but my view of the boyle chance was more the fact the ball came to him at a bit of pace causing him to have to stop it with his right. He could have swung at it wildly but when a ball is played in at you at pace your always going to take a touch unless its put into your stride.
Of course I could watch the highlights and be prved wrong here

Must admit I thought he should have hit it first time...he didn't have time to take a touch on his right, by then the moment was gone.....the fact it had pace on it meant all he had to do was steer it in the right direction.....
What really annoys me is when players insist on hitting with their "good" foot even when it means distorting their bodies or the ball going behind the player getting the pass.
I mean wtf do they do all day ?

HoboHarry
04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Steven Fletcher.

J
My son is left footed and right handed, my daughter is left handed and right footed (same as my dad)......

Michael
04-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Stevenson is very one footed. Doesn't let the ball anywhere near his right foot.

Deansy
04-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Must admit I thought he should have hit it first time...he didn't have time to take a touch on his right, by then the moment was gone.....the fact it had pace on it meant all he had to do was steer it in the right direction.....
What really annoys me is when players insist on hitting with their "good" foot even when it means distorting their bodies or the ball going behind the player getting the pass.
I mean wtf do they do all day ?

One of my major gripes about our players is their reluctance to hit the ball first-time - God only knows the number of goals/points lost out on because they take that one touch too many !.

LaMotta
04-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Think people need to watch the Boyle chance again if they think it was a tap in.

The ball was fired in to him to at pace, almost behind him. He did well to kill it with his left but had defenders in front of him by then and the keeper, so he tries to the shift on his right away from the oncoming defenders.

Poor effort after that but no way was it a sitter.

LaMotta
04-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Also that wasn't one where he should have hit it first time.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 01:08 PM
My 8 year old daughter writes with her left hand but does everything else right handed (and seems to be naturally right footed on the odd occasion that she plays football).

I write with my left hand, but am right footed. Play snooker left handed; tennis right handed. Use a hammer with the right; screwdriver with the left. All a bit odd.

Baader
04-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Really should be a minimum requirement for any professional footballer. No matter how good you may be you're always going to be better if you can hit a ball with both feet.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Davie Cooper. What a left foot he had, but I'm not sure he ever touched the ball with his right. Liam Brady the same.

IWasThere2016
04-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Steven Fletcher.

J

I do underarm left-handed (bowl, pool/snooker, guitar) and over-arm right-handed (throw, golf) .. HIBS TV's Cliff Pike is the same. Maybe it is you who's odd!?! :wink::greengrin

Jones28
04-12-2017, 02:11 PM

You've not seen her recently then :greengrin

SChibs
04-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Messi is fairly one footed. Obviously his right foot is pretty good but his left is miles and miles ahead.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2042445-ranking-the-top-15-players-who-were-completely-one-footed.amp.html

JohnMcM
04-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Eric Stevenson! On his day, that left foot of his would turn defenders inside-out, head-over-heels and back-to-front. Sometimes, the other left-footed wonder that was Joe Davis (the penalty king) would do the same thing, but quite often by accident :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Didn't Van Persie call his right leg his 'chocolate leg'? I'm not sure what that even means, but I think he was saying it wasn't very good.

brog
04-12-2017, 03:20 PM
I can't think of one left footed player who is/was even 50% as strong on his right side. However it hasn't stopped Puskas, Maradona & Messi from being 3 of the greatest players in history. As for Boyle on Saturday, although he could have hit it with his left it was far from being a tap in & the pass was a bit behind him. Efe's atrocious pass was far worse.

seanshow
04-12-2017, 03:21 PM
As Lennon has said throughout the season the decision making in attacking positions has probably cost us a fair few points, as well as making life easier for all concerned.

Not having a go at the Boyler because he has been fantastic this season :aok: but his first touch on his left foot was excellent there was plenty time to get a shot away, even though he was about to get closed down.
Have a swing at it! you've got to a buy a ticket to win the lottery etc...

he is now in position to shoot on his left peg.

LaMotta
04-12-2017, 03:31 PM
As Lennon has said throughout the season the decision making in attacking positions has probably cost us a fair few points, as well as making life easier for all concerned.

Not having a go at the Boyler because he has been fantastic this season :aok: but his first touch on his left foot was excellent there was plenty time to get a shot away, even though he was about to get closed down.
Have a swing at it! you've got to a buy a ticket to win the lottery etc...

Nah that pic is misleading, look at the way Boyle is facing because the pass was just behind him.

By the time the ball is stopped dead and he's adjusted his body, the defender is over the keeper is between the sticks and the shot isn't on.

Stokes overhit toe poke to Shaw was the problem in this move. Def agree with you about decision making in general!

Bristolhibby
04-12-2017, 03:41 PM
I do underarm left-handed (bowl, pool/snooker, guitar) and over-arm right-handed (throw, golf) .. HIBS TV's Cliff Pike is the same. Maybe it is you who's odd!?! :wink::greengrin

I知 wondering about his pool and darts technique. I値l ask him.

J

Famous Fiver
04-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but did the Sunday Post not have a cartoon character at one time called Wan Fittit?

Not read the publication for decades but perhaps someone can elaborate.

IWasThere2016
04-12-2017, 04:23 PM
I知 wondering about his pool and darts technique. I値l ask him.

J

Pool - left, darts - right .. simples :greengrin

G B Young
04-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Don't agree re Stokes. As somebody else has pointed out the Scottish Cup final showed he is comfortable with both feet.

Steven Fletcher would have been a much better player if he'd been prepared to work on using both feet.

Going way back, I gather Willie Ormond of the Famous Five was very one-footed (not sure which) but he was so good with it that it didn't matter.

Famous Fiver
04-12-2017, 04:40 PM
G B

Wee clue.

He played on the left wing.

IlDiavola
04-12-2017, 04:44 PM

The fatness explains him being a virgin though.

ancient hibee
04-12-2017, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=G B Young;5236538]Don't agree re Stokes. As somebody else has pointed out the Scottish Cup final showed he is comfortable with both feet.

Steven Fletcher would have been a much better player if he'd been prepared to work on using both feet.

Going way back, I gather Willie Ormond of the Famous Five was very one-footed (not sure which) but he was so good with it that it didn't matter.[/QUOT

Ormond was very left footed but was prepared to let fly with the right if the ball fell to it as it did when he potted one from 20 yards against Peebles Rovers.

Forza Fred
05-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Eric Stevenson! On his day, that left foot of his would turn defenders inside-out, head-over-heels and back-to-front. Sometimes, the other left-footed wonder that was Joe Davis (the penalty king) would do the same thing, but quite often by accident :greengrin

We must be of the same vintage....they were the players that immediately sprung to my mind!

stu in nottingham
05-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Willie Ormond - 'If I'd had a right foot you'd never have heard of Pele'.

Jim Baxter had an absolute magic wand of a left foot but seldom used his right one, apart from to stand on as they say.

jgl07
05-12-2017, 11:50 AM
I write with my left hand, but am right footed. Play snooker left handed; tennis right handed. Use a hammer with the right; screwdriver with the left. All a bit odd.
Do you have any problems getting hold of a left handed screwdriver?

Hibernia&Alba
05-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Do you have any problems getting hold of a left handed screwdriver?

I borrow one from a City fan :wink:

4 Front Teeth
05-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Has Barker had a few chances to shoot with his left but tried to cut in?

JohnMcM
05-12-2017, 12:33 PM
We must be of the same vintage....they were the players that immediately sprung to my mind!

9th October 1965 at home to Motherwell, 2-2 was my first. There's been much joy and heartache since then. Still behind them though.:greengrin

Speedy
05-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Interesting, I have a mate that also plays pool left handed but throws darts right handed. Left footed, right handed for writing.

Hibernia&Alba
05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Interesting, I have a mate that also plays pool left handed but throws darts right handed. Left footed, right handed for writing.

Very similar to myself: pool left hand and darts right hand, but I'm right footed and write left hand.

neil7908
05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Steven Fletcher.

J

I'm very left footed and very right handed.

To be honest, being able to play left back was probably the only reason I ever got a game for my school so I've always been quite pleased!

basehibby
05-12-2017, 07:26 PM
I'm very left footed and very right handed.

To be honest, being able to play left back was probably the only reason I ever got a game for my school so I've always been quite pleased!

That seems really weird - but you're not the only one on this thread to say similar.

Hristo Stoichkov was no slouch but I recall at some World Cup or other being amazed at the lengths he'd go to to get the ball on his left - hitting it with his right was simply not an option it seemed.

Re 2 footed players Deeks and Griffiths both had 2 very good feet IIRC. I'm sure both would express a preference but they obviously made the effort to train the other foot as well.