PDA

View Full Version : Cole stockton "blacking it up"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Media will have a field day with this...Stockton went to the hearts xmas party dressed as Mr.T, painted himself black. Jesus wept.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Media will have a field day with this...Stockton went to the hearts xmas party dressed as Me.T, painted himself black. Jesus wept.

Was it not supposed to be fancy dress likes?

iwasthere1972
03-12-2017, 07:34 PM
What a load of tosh.

Where would Hearts get the money for a Xmas party?

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Was it not supposed to be fancy dress likes?

Regardless, in today's society and someone who's in the public eye, it's rather distasteful to paint yourself black

Bostonhibby
Media will have a field day with this...Stockton went to the hearts xmas party dressed as Me.T, painted himself black. Jesus wept.Thought you were going to say he went as a goal scoring striker.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
Any photos?

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Media will have a field day with this...Stockton went to the hearts xmas party dressed as Me.T, painted himself black. Jesus wept.

Am I missing something?

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Regardless, in today's society and someone who's in the public eye, it's rather distasteful to paint yourself black

Even if tbe character you are pretending to be is black?

Firestarter
Thought you were going to say he went as a goal scoring striker.

👍

Stuart93
Any photos?

No sure if it's worked

Yes it has

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 07:38 PM
No sure if it's worked

It works - cheers.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Well, aye.

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Am I missing something?

I believe it's called 'cultural appropriation'. A big no-no these days.

Danderhall Hibs

Yip.

greenlex
Looks like Callaghan has whitened himself up. Poor show.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2017, 07:40 PM
No sure if it's worked

Yes it has

Is that Prince Bauben on the right?

Nothing to see.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:40 PM
He's done his face to match his body suit, big deal! Nothing wrong with it at all, once again some folk just have to see sometbing that isn't there.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:41 PM
I believe it's called 'cultural appropriation'. A big no-no these days.

I think it should be called total bollox.

I'm_cabbaged
03-12-2017, 07:42 PM
And???

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2017, 07:42 PM
I went out for Halloween a few weeks back dressed as a nun and I definitely hope the media don't get a hold of those photos.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:43 PM

Basically racism mate but bash on

I'm_cabbaged
03-12-2017, 07:44 PM
So if wanted to be mr t he should’ve went as a white one?

Danderhall Hibs
I went out for Halloween a few weeks back dressed as a nun and I definitely hope the media don't get a hold of those photos.

Why?

Scouse Hibee

Don't worry mate I will, the world has gone mad if he is considered a racist for dressing up. People need to think about the word "context" not "racism".

Thecat23
This is something that really bugs me. Since when can’t we dress up as actors or movie stars? Am I allowed to dress up as Darth Vader? Society has actually gone nuts. If he wants to be MeT then he’d have to paint his skin black simple as that. Doesn’t mean the mans racist surely. If we see stag dos and the boy is dressed as a girl is that offensive as well?

In a world where there is so much ***** happening I really don’t get what the big deal is here.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Some folk get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

patch1875
03-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I blacked up for a fancy dress party when I was 8 I went as a chimney sweep though.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Don't worry mate I will, the world has gone mad if he is considered a racist for dressing up. People need to think about the word "context" not "racism".

You'd think as a pro footballer who's in the public eye his costume choice would've been a bit wiser

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Apparently Mr T is raging about this and wanted to confront Stockton. His agent had it all arranged and then he said. "You aint getting me on no plane fool"

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Aye, I often wonder how those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s and were exposed to 'horrors' of the likes of the Black and White Minstrel Show and Robertson's Jam haven't been forced to undergo a Mao-like cultural revolutionary re-education process in some PC gulag somewhere!

J-C
Am I missing something, if you don't add face make up you don't go as Mr T, you go as a white dude with chains round your neck.

Libby Hibby
The world has gone mad if someone going to a fancy dress party cannot actually look like the person they are trying to be.

No one is ‘offended’ by this, surely.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 07:50 PM
You'd think as a pro footballer who's in the public eye his costume choice would've been a bit wiser

I’m amazed at some of the responses on here. Sunday at the back of 7 must be when the children of the 50s and 60s log on?

Scouse Hibee

Maybe like me the fact that some folk would consider it offensive never even crossed his mind. And rightly so.

murray26
Maybe he should have went as Hitler or something..? No that’s the royal family.. the guy has done nothing wrong .

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Am I missing something, if you don't add face make up you don't go as Mr T, you go as a white dude with chains round your neck.

Or you just go as someone else and not even give people a reason to be offended

Scott Allan Key
03-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Who’s MeT? Budge went as ET and no one noticed. Mr T, I presume.

Golden Bear
Some of the comments in the "Support " thread are more offensive than what's on here!

Scouse Hibee

So only white personalities can be copied by white people?

What if a black person "whites" up?

hibsbollah
03-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Aye, I often wonder how those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s and were exposed to 'horrors' of the likes of the Black and White Minstrel Show and Robertson's Jam haven't been forced to undergo a Mao-like cultural revolutionary re-education process in some PC gulag somewhere!

If you ask me a bit of 're-education' wouldn't go amiss judging by some of the comments on here. Go and find out about the history of blacking up, as a sick caricature of what black people look like, big choob choob lips, playing the dummy etc, and then come back and moan about 'political correctness':rolleyes: Its just not a good idea to black up if you're white, I dont understand whats not to understand.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Only black people should play black characters.
Only disabled people should play disabled characters.
Only women should play women.
Only gay people should play gay characters.
Getting tired writing out this list now.
Wouldn't it be simpler if the single rule was: people should only play themselves?

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Gender fluidity is perfectly acceptable nowadays, MW, dontcha know?

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:55 PM
If you ask me a bit of 're-education' wouldn't go amiss judging by some of the comments on here. Go and find out about the history of blacking up, as a sick caricature of what black people look like, big choob choob lips, playing the dummy etc, and then come back and moan about 'political correctness':rolleyes: Its just not a good idea to black up if you're white, I dont understand whats not to understand.

But that's not why he used make up, is it?

Newry Hibs
03-12-2017, 07:56 PM

So what if other people are offended. That's their problem. I assume he's gone as a fun character and hasn't been going round making monkey noises.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't it be simpler if the single rule was: people should only play themselves?

Maybe fancy dress should be outlawed as some ****** somewhere is sure to offended by something!

SRHibs

Do us a favour and explain why it’s racist then.

Danderhall Hibs
So what if other people are offended. That's their problem. I assume he's gone as as fun character and hasn't been going round making monkey noises.

Mr T didn’t make monkey noises did he?

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 07:58 PM

Just google it mate - loads of stuff available.

Danderhall Hibs
So only white personalities can be copied by white people?

What if a black person "whites" up?

Google it - I found a few articles pretty quickly that explain.

Scouse Hibee

Only when he didn't want to get on a plane.

Stuart93

Like someone's said go read up on cultural association and you'll see why.

J-C
03-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Because he's not trying to be a caricature of a black man, he's dressing as a very well known actor called Mr T who happens to be black, I don't see any "choob choob" lips ( your words ) or playing the dummy, he's wearing a muscle suit, fake gold chains and a crappy black beard.

edit. I find the term choob choob lips rather poorly chosen by the way.

Bostonhibby
Gender fluidity is perfectly acceptable nowadays, MW, dontcha know?And the nuns probably scored the same amount of goals for Hearts as Cole the goal.

Apologies in advance to any nuns looking in.

Scouse Hibee
Google it - I found a few articles pretty quickly that explain.

I don't need to Google it!

SRHibs
The fact that the OP has referred to dressing as a character from a TV show as “blacking it up” is probably more racist than the costume. Is the OP aware that “blackface” is referring to something with specific racist connotations and not just anyone who dresses up as someone of another race?

PapillonVert

Quite.

The whole acting and literary professions rendered pointless in one fell swoop.

And, if you can only play yourself, what's the point in trying to understand or empathise with anyone else's experience.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
I don't need to Google it!

Was it a rhetorical question?

Newry Hibs
03-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Pretty sure he didn't. Point being I'd like to think he wasn't being racist and was being a fun character.

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Like someone's said go read up on cultural association and you'll see why.

Aye, or maybe even cultural misappropriation? You’re offended and you don’t even know what you’re offended by. Welcome to 2017.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Nothing to see here.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Aye, or maybe even cultural misappropriation? You’re offended and you don’t even know what you’re offended by. Welcome to 2017.

Yep. Autocorrect. Welcome to 2017

Blaster
03-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Do people really think this is racist? It was fancy dress for God’s sake

Oops hope I’ve not upset anyone using the word god

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 08:08 PM

Not saying I'm for it - just that different times have different outlooks and experiences. I know that attitudes have changed and it's no longer deemed acceptable to black up.

Personally, can't understand people who judge others because of their race, religion, nationality, skin colour, or whatever rather than what they are personally like as people.

green day
03-12-2017, 08:09 PM
I think it's obvious from the answers to this thread that it's a contentious area.

However I don't think for a minute that Stockton did this because he is in any way racist.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Do people really think this is racist? It was fancy dress for God’s sake

Oops hope I’ve not upset anyone using the word god

I'm a bit upset you've mentioned "fancy" as that was the name of Brian Blessed's character in a TV show in the 1960s when I grew up. He played PC Fancy Smith and Blessed wasn't even a ******* policeman in real life!

Captain Trips
03-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Ffs big deal, It's fancy dress you are supposed to try and look like the person. I often find folk seem to get bothered these days on behalf of other folk most whom do not give a toss.

Society has gone way way to far the other way than from the 70s 80s etc.

Newry Hibs
03-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I'm a bit upset you've mentioned "fancy" as that was the name of Brian Blessed's character in a TV show in the 1960s when I grew up. He played PC Fancy Smith and Blessed wasn't even a ******* policeman in real life!
I'm now triggered.

Tornadoes70
Personally speaking I think he's an idiot. In this day and age most folk know its at the least 'controversial' to do what he's done. There's any number of characters he could have imitated without this. I'm sure most of us would have steered well clear of Stockton's choice.

Stuart93
I think it's obvious from the answers to this thread that it's a contentious area.

However I don't think for a minute that Stockton did this because he is in any way racist.

I don't think he's racist either. Silly choice of fancy dress for me though.

J-C
Only black people should play black characters. Matt Lucas in Little Britain as Mr T, Laurence Olivier as Othello
Only disabled people should play disabled characters. Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights, Daniel day Lewis in My Left Foot
Only women should play women. Robin Williams in Mrs Doubtfire, Brendan O'Carroll in Mrs Brown's Boys,
Only gay people should play gay characters. Robin Williams in Birdcage, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Not saying I'm for it - just that different times have different outlooks and experiences. I know that attitudes have changed and it's no longer deemed acceptable to black up.

Personally, can't understand people who judge others because of their race, religion, nationality, skin colour, or whatever rather than what they are personally like as people.

This is racist: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

I don’t believe what Cole Stockton has done to be racist, however the main thing in my mind is the opinion of the race/culture in question. Would be surprised if anyone cared, though.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 08:14 PM

He didn't dress up as Jimmy Saville ffs. That was Jamie Walker 😉

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Ffs big deal, It's fancy dress you are supposed to try and look like the person. I often find folk seem to get bothered these days on behalf of other folk most whom do not give a toss.

Society has gone way way to far the other way than from the 70s 80s etc.

Agreed, I’m pretty liberal in my views but some of the stuff nowadays is just radge. Hopefully if (or when)the pendulum swings back to the right it’s not to the same degree.

Callum_62
03-12-2017, 08:18 PM
After yesterday, im steering clear of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 08:20 PM

This is where the difficulty arises IMO. No-one considers intention. If they decide something is racist/sexist or not to their liking, the person who has offended them is completely beyond the pale and must be punished as severely as possible.

Clearly, if someone makes a remark or does something with malicious intent, that's completely to be condemned. If someone says or does something that arises out of thoughtlessness or lack of consideration, then, yes, it's necessary to point out to them where they have erred but nowadays there seems to be only one degree of reaction allowed.

Read only last week about a young 20-something primary school teacher who referred to a born-male but now-transgender pupil as 'he' instead of 'she' and is now facing the sack, even though he apologised as soon as he realised his mistake. I think that's a totally disproportionate response.

lyonhibs
03-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Could someone clarify why Cole Stockton is now a definite racist for applying some face paint for a party?

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Could someone clarify why Cole Stockton is now a definite racist for applying some face paint for a party?

It's either cultural association, cultural appropriation or cultural misappropriation.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 08:23 PM

No-ones saying he's a racist

PapillonVert
03-12-2017, 08:25 PM
I don't think he's racist either. Silly choice of fancy dress for me though.

That's a decent point as there have been no shortage of cases where people have been pulled up for inappropriate fancy dress and such like.

Sometimes, people just think something will be a great wheeze and don't think it through.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 08:25 PM

I’m sure someone can do that. Could be by just saying “cos he is” like those that are saying he definitely isn’t.

Newry Hibs
03-12-2017, 08:26 PM
This is where the difficulty arises IMO. No-one considers intention. If they decide something is racist/sexist or not to their liking, the person who has offended them is completely beyond the pale and must be punished as severely as possible.

Clearly, if someone makes a remark or does something with malicious intent, that's completely to be condemned. If someone says or does something that arises out of thoughtlessness or lack of consideration, then, yes, it's necessary to point out to them where they have erred but nowadays there seems to be only one degree of reaction allowed.

Read only last week about a young 20-something primary school teacher who referred to a born-male but now-transgender pupil as 'he' instead of 'she' and is now facing the sack, even though he apologised as soon as he realised his mistake. I think that's a totally disproportionate response.
I think in the teacher's case he kept doing it.

greenlex
03-12-2017, 08:26 PM
it would only lead to cries of masterbater.

Bishop Hibee
03-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Is Cole Stockton racist? Probably not. Is he ignorant of what is deemed acceptable in 21st Century liberal countries, probably. Here is an article from the left of centre Independent pre-Halloween this year which pretty much sums up the anti-blackface argument http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/halloween-costume-how-not-offensive-idiot-fancy-dress-racism-a8005291.html

Don't shoot the messenger as I personally think a white person "blacking up" as Mr T, Bob Marley (as I did to a party complete with Jimmy Boco wig back in the day), or Barak Obama is a compliment to black culture and those individuals if your not taking the piss out of them. I also disagree that a black person cannot be racist to a white person even if he's using racial stereotypes to belittle them.

I expect a storm in a teacup over this though.

hibby6270
03-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Dear Fellow Hibbies,
Fake news. Move on. End of!!
We’re only making a thing of this because it’s a Hertz player.
Get over yourselves.

Cheers

A 50 to 60 year old who logs in on a Sunday

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Dear Fellow Hibbies,
Fake news. Move on. End of!!
We’re only making a thing of this because it’s a Hertz player.
Get over yourselves.

Cheers

A 50 to 60 year old who logs in on a Sunday

Wouldn't be overly happy if a hibs player done it either to be honest so that's not the case

Clerie Green
03-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Are you sure he wasn’t Old King Coal ?

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Is Cole Stockton racist? Probably not. Is he ignorant of what is deemed acceptable in 21st Century liberal countries, probably. Here is an article from the left of centre Independent pre-Halloween this year which pretty much sums up the anti-blackface argument http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/halloween-costume-how-not-offensive-idiot-fancy-dress-racism-a8005291.html

Don't shoot the messenger as I personally think a white person "blacking up" as Mr T, Bob Marley (as I did to a party complete with Jimmy Boco wig back in the day), or Barak Obama is a compliment to black culture and those individuals if your not taking the piss out of them. I also disagree that a black person cannot be racist to a white person even if he's using racial stereotypes to belittle them.

I expect a storm in a teacup over this though.

Don’t dress up as a lunatic. Do we really live in a world where people can’t differentiate between psychopathy and depression. Is this really perpetuating a negative stigma? I’ve had mental health issues for the past 12 years and I couldn’t care less, of course I don’t speak for everyone, though.

Perfect that their 2 suggestions for Halloween costumes are totally divorced from the spirit of Halloween though - the scariness!

Kojock
03-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I was going to a fancy dress party next week as Homer Simpson, wouldn't want to upset anyone by painting myself yellow.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Here is an article from the left of centre Independent pre-Halloween this year which pretty much sums up the anti-blackface argument http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/halloween-costume-how-not-offensive-idiot-fancy-dress-racism-a8005291.html

The writer seems to think that dressing up as a P45 is acceptably hilarious at this time of year. Because becoming jobless is so fabulously funny, I suppose.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Would it be racist if he dressed up as him but wore a Mr T face mask instead? Or is this still frowned upon?

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 08:43 PM
I cant keep up these days with what is offending to folk.

If cole had wore a mister t mask, would that be racist or offend someone? :confused:

Deansy
03-12-2017, 08:45 PM
This is something that really bugs me. Since when can’t we dress up as actors or movie stars? Am I allowed to dress up as Darth Vader? Society has actually gone nuts. If he wants to be MeT then he’d have to paint his skin black simple as that. Doesn’t mean the mans racist surely. If we see stag dos and the boy is dressed as a girl is that offensive as well?

In a world where there is so much ***** happening I really don’t get what the big deal is here.

Ditto !

hibby6270
03-12-2017, 08:45 PM
It's either cultural association, cultural appropriation or cultural misappropriation.

Must have missed the leaflet drop through mine and everyone else’s door to explain this mumbo jumbo (hope I’ve not offended anyone by using that phrase which is probably outlawed these days!!:rolleyes:)
Never heard of these and how or why would I?
PC gone bonkers I tell you.

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:46 PM
It’s only a matter of time before I’m no longer permitted to listen to rap music, or cook myself an Indian.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Would he be allowed to dress up as a snow white or Cinderella - or is that sexist?

Not an issue in the slightest for me. Crazy times we live in

BigKev
03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Can't believe there's a 3 page thread on a boy who dressed up as Mr T.

Some folk get their knickers in a knot over the smallest thing and are delving deeper into something that's just not there.

Racist? FFS have a word and get over yourselves.

Judging by some of the replies on here folk must live some angelic lives and live in a bubble worrying if they're offending others.

What a s**** thread. Embarrassing.

Ringothedog
03-12-2017, 08:48 PM
The writer seems to think that dressing up as a P45 is acceptably hilarious at this time of year. Because becoming jobless is so fabulously funny, I suppose.

And therein lies the problem, someone somewhere will be offended by something.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Some folk get their knickers in a knot over the smallest thing and are delving deeper into something that's just not there.

Judging by some of the replies on here folk must live some angelic lives and live in a bubble worrying if they're offending others.

You've just took the time to post in this "*****" thread so
It's certainly kicked up some debate.

I'm_cabbaged
03-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Your name offends me, heightist bassa!!

My_Wife_Camille
03-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Absolutely disgusted at the actions of Cole Stockton and the racist sympathisers on here.

Yet another disgusting and disturbing case of privileged whites telling people what they can and can’t be offended by.

Not Hibs class at all.

J-C
Would he be allowed to dress up as a snow white or Cinderella - or is that sexist?

Not an issue in the slightest for me. Crazy times we live in

Happens all the time in the Panto season, the Panto Dames.

hibby6270
Wouldn't be overly happy if a hibs player done it either to be honest so that's not the case

Wouldn’t bother me and from responses here wouldn’t bother many others either.
Don’t see what the big deal is.

All this so called cultural misappropriation, appropriation, association cr@p.
That’s exactly what it is. A load of pi$h made up by dogooders who are only interested in making a name for themselves.

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
So you’re only allowed to dress up as someone that’s of the same race as yourself?

No more black Elvis impersonators then.

How about religion and sexuality too? Hair colour and weight?

Damn, soon you’ll only be able to go as yourself!

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:54 PM

That’s exactly what it is. A load of pi$h made up by dogooders who are only interested in making a name for themselves.

I believe the term does have merit in some cases, especially when people are using costume/or any cultural reference to mock or entertain certain racial stereotypes.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 08:54 PM

But there's some people it would offend judging by other people's responses. Everyone's entitled to their opinion which a lot seem to forget on this 👍🏼. If you don't find a problem with it fair enough but some people will & do

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 08:55 PM
I watched Peter Pan the other day there, and was disgusted to see a bloody woman playing Peter?

Nakedmanoncrack
03-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Who is he?

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Who is he?

He was in the A Team.

BigKev
Your name offends me, heightist bassa!!

Sorry wee man ☺

I'm_cabbaged
Who is he?

He was in the A team 👍

lapsedhibee
I watched Peter Pan the other day there, and was disgusted to see a bloody woman playing Peter?

Keep up. Men shouldn't play women because men have oppressed women for centuries. It's ok the other way about because women haven't oppressed men for centuries.

Panto Dames haven't long to go now imo.

I'm_cabbaged
03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
He was in the A Team.

I’m not the only dick on here then 😂

BigKev
03-12-2017, 09:00 PM

Sure it was a woman and not someone gender neutral...

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Absolutely disgusted at the actions of Cole Stockton and the racist sympathisers on here.

Yet another disgusting and disturbing case of privileged whites telling people what they can and can’t be offended by.

Not Hibs class at all.

😂😂 What?

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:05 PM
😂😂 What?

Check your privilege, pal.

jacomo
03-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Would it be racist if he dressed up as him but wore a Mr T face mask instead? Or is this still frowned upon?

The connotations with 'blacking up' are deeply unfortunate.

Maybe in a few years, when we live in a truly equal society, people will dress up however they want and we can all have a good laugh. Until then best avoided.

IMO all those shouting 'it's political correctness gone mad' are missing the point.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:07 PM

Seriously this is unreal it really is!

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Maybe in a few years, when we live in a truly equal society, people will dress up however they want and we can all have a good laugh. Until then best avoided.

IMO all those shouting 'it's political correctness gone mad' are missing the point.

And those conflating ‘blacking up’ with what Cole Stockton has done are being ridiculous.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM

He’s dressed up as an actor. What does it matter if he’s black? Surely those taken offence have the issue with people’s skin colour where everyone else sees each other as an equal no?

Again if he wore the Mr T mask would it be racist?

My_Wife_Camille
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Seriously this is unreal it really is!
You know what is very much real though? Centuries of oppression suffered by black people which is being made light of by Stockton and a number of people on this thread.

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Whooooooosh

Sir David Gray
I love nothing more than criticising anything to do with Hearts but I'm not getting involved here.

Just because white people used to make racist caricatures of black people which involved "blacking up" about 50 years ago doesn't mean that every single example of a white person putting black paint on their skin to represent a black celebrity is racist.

I personally wouldn't do this because I'm painfully aware of the reaction that this sort of thing generates from those who love to be offended. However I genuinely cannot see how Cole Stockton can be deemed to have committed an act of racism by going to a fancy dress party as Mr T.

It's just absurd.

ballengeich
Keep up. Men shouldn't play women because men have oppressed women for centuries. It's ok the other way about because women haven't oppressed men for centuries.

Panto Dames haven't long to go now imo.

And Shakespeare's Macbeth will only be allocated to Scottish actors.

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:12 PM
You know what is very much real though? Centuries of oppression aimed at black people which is being made light of by Stockton and a number of people on this thread.

Wait, how, specifically, is dressing up as a popular TV character (who happens to be black) making light of black people being oppressed?

hibby6270
I believe the term does have merit in some cases, especially when people are using costume/or any cultural reference to mock or entertain certain racial stereotypes.

I don’t get it.
I don’t know Cole Stockton. He might be be the biggest closet racist going but I VERY MUCH doubt it.

How is he mocking ‘certain racial stereotypes ‘?

He’s at a fancy dress party playing a much loved TV character from the 80’s for goodness sake. I mean, his mum and dad were probably only kids when Mr T was around. Nobody at the time thought a black actor hamming it up for the good if the programme was in any way “cultural misappropriation”. Phrase hadn’t even been invented.

And while I think about it, I must have been a real bad dad allowing my kids to watch the A-Team every week in case they became culturally scarred in later life. And as for the A-Team Annuals I bought for them? Better rake through the cupboards and dispose of them before the Cultural Misappropriation Police come knocking at my door.

You see how silly all of this is?

SRHibs
Whooooooosh

You? Yes.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:13 PM
You know what is very much real though? Centuries of oppression aimed at black people which is being made light of by Stockton and a number of people on this thread.

How is it being made light off?

Serious question? Hes went to fancy dress an an 80’s actor would a face mask been better?

The Pointer
03-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I don't get this and it seems he went to a lot of effort to get kitted-out. Is he supposed to have done something wrong?

Sorry - I don't do virtue signalling, I've got a life and the country has gone completely mental.

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I don’t get it.
I don’t know Cole Stockton. He might be be the biggest closet racist going but I VERY MUCH doubt it.

He’s at a fancy dress party playing a much loved TV character from the 80’s for goodness sake. I mean, his mum and dad were probably only kids when Mr T was around. Nobody at the time thought a black actor hamming it up for the good if the programme was in any way “cultural misappropriation”. Phrase hadn’t even been invented.

And while I think about it, I must have been a real bad dad allowing my kids to watch the A-Team every week in case they became culturally scarred in later life. And as for the A-Team Annuals I bought for them? Better rake through the cupboards and dispose of them before the Cultural Misappropriation Police come knocking at my door.

I was making the point that it does have merit in some cases, just not in this one. Sorry for the confusion.

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
You? Yes.

I misquoted you by accident, meant for TC :greengrin

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
I misquoted you by accident, meant for TC :greengrin

This whole thread is a woooosh moment!

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 09:17 PM
You know what is very much real though? Centuries of oppression suffered by black people which is being made light of by Stockton and a number of people on this thread.

Utter nonsense. The only thing he is making light of is the A Team.

SRHibs
This whole thread is a woooosh moment!

I can’t tell is MWC is being serious or just noising people up.

Pretty Boy
If you have an understanding of the history surrounding 'blackface' it really isn't difficult to see why this is a contentious issue.

Thecat23
I can’t tell is MWC is being serious or just noising people up.

Same here I thought he was joking at first. But now I’ve no idea!!

My_Wife_Camille
03-12-2017, 09:18 PM
How is it being made light off?

Serious question? Hes went to fancy dress an an 80’s actor would a face mask been better?
If you know your history...:rolleyes:

Northernhibee
03-12-2017, 09:19 PM
If you have an understanding of the history surrounding 'blackface' it really isn't difficult to see why this is a contentious issue.

Precisely this.

The boy's been really stupid but there's every chance he's stupid and naive rather than out and out racist. Still deserves to get his knuckles well and truly rapped by his club though.

hibby6270
03-12-2017, 09:19 PM
I was making the point that it does have merit in some cases, just not in this one. Sorry for the confusion.

:thumbsup:

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:20 PM

That’s not what he’s done though is it. He’s not made fun of lips or that and just painted his skin to match that of an 80’s Tv icon. If he just blacked up like the old days then yes that I would agree Is racist. Not doing a tv icon though.

SRHibs
If you have an understanding of the history surrounding 'blackface' it really isn't difficult to see why this is a contentious issue

True, but Blackface has a very specific look, and with it some understandably negative connotations. I think it’s disingenuous to call what Stockton has done Blackface.

Thecat23
True, but Blackface has a very specific look, and with it some understandably negative connotations. I think it’s disingenuous to call what Stockton has done Blackface.

Bang on. This is nothing like “blackface” so folk shouldn’t be looking for something that isn’t there.

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:21 PM
So it's ok if you're a famous comedian to do it then...1986119862

Matt Lucas

SouthMoroccoStu
03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
You’re not allowed to say black anymore

It was discussed at length on the Partick Thistle match thread...

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
If you know your history...:rolleyes:

I do.

Again please explain why an 80’s icon is racist and would having a Mr T mask on make a difference if so why?

Pretty Boy
03-12-2017, 09:23 PM

I didn't say he had used blackface. I'm just pointing out that with the weight of history that blacking up carries it's always going to provoke debate and reaction and is probably best left alone.

My view in these situations is always the same. It's not for me to dictate to other people what they should and shouldn't be offended by.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:25 PM
I pity the fool to be honest.

Brooster
03-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Let the guy enjoy his crimbo night out for goodness sake. Some folk really need to unravel their knickers and get over themselves.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Let the guy enjoy his crimbo night out for goodness sake. Some folk really need to unravel their knickers and get over themselves.

Especially if you're a ***** forward playing or a piss team.

Sir David Gray
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Precisely this.

The boy's been really stupid but there's every chance he's stupid and naive rather than out and out racist. Still deserves to get his knuckles well and truly rapped by his club though.

He really doesn't.

nonshinyfinish
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
I didn't say he had used blackface. I'm just pointing out that with the weight of history that blacking up carries it's always going to provoke debate and reaction and is probably best left alone.

My view in these situations is always the same. It's not for me to dictate to other people what they should and shouldn't be offended by.

Bang on.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 09:28 PM

:agree:

PiemanP
03-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Oh dear we are a sentive lot aren’t we. 10 pages at least before it’s moved to the holy ground, then shut down.

Newry Hibs
03-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Precisely this.

Just as long as he doesn't dress as a rapper.

FitbaFolkKen
03-12-2017, 09:30 PM

In my view he is impersonating a TV character and has done so in as accurate a manner as he could.

He hasn't caricatured it in a negative or derogatory fashion as far as can be seen from the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
03-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Exactly. Folk are missing the point on this thread. Blacking up is a minefield because of the historical baggage so it's sensible to avoid it. Not really difficult to grasp.

anon1875
03-12-2017, 09:31 PM

You probably like lemonade in your pint

JimboHibs
03-12-2017, 09:32 PM
I loved Mr T.

Bishop Hibee
03-12-2017, 09:33 PM

I think equating a football player dressing as Mr T with centuries of oppression of black people is actually you making light of their oppression. There is no comparison especially as Stockton is almost certainly clueless of the supposed offence he is causing.

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:35 PM

As long as it's Eminem :greengrin

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Exactly. Folk are missing the point on this thread. Blacking up is a minefield because of the historical baggage so it's sensible to avoid it. Not really difficult to grasp.

I think most people do realise this. For me the argument is that it’s not inherently racist to dress as someone like Mr T, and that it’s wrong to conflate ‘blacking up’ with dressing up like Stockton has for the purpose of fancy dress. To say that he’s making light of hundreds of years of black oppression is madness IMO.

I do agree that if it causes a large amount of people to be offended then it’s a minefield best avoided, but I’m not sure this is the case.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:36 PM
As long as it's Eminem :greengrin

Folk would still think it’s Shady!

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 09:37 PM

It doesn’t Mather what anyone else thinks.

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 09:38 PM
You probably like lemonade in your pint

I love a lager shandy

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 09:39 PM
I think equating a football player dressing as Mr T with centuries of oppression of black people is actually you making light of their oppression. There is no comparison especially as Stockton is almost certainly clueless of the supposed offence he is causing.

If he's clueless why did he delete the picture from social media almost instantly?

tamig
03-12-2017, 09:40 PM
What a load of nonsense. Jeezo.

hibsbollah
03-12-2017, 09:40 PM
I think most people do realise this. For me the argument is that it’s not inherently racist to dress as someone like Mr T, and that it’s wrong to conflate ‘blacking up’ with dressing up like Stockton has for the purpose of fancy dress. To say that he’s making light of hundreds of years of black oppression is madness IMO.

I do agree that if it causes a large amount of people to be offended then it’s a minefield best avoided, but I’m not sure this is the case.

Is he racist because of doing it? No.
Would he have been best advised not to have done so? Yes.

JimboHibs
03-12-2017, 09:41 PM
If he's clueless why did he delete the picture from social media almost instantly?

Are you offended by him dressing up as Mr T ?

Thecat23
It doesn’t Mather what anyone else thinks.

Haha 😁👍🏼

mjhibby
The world has gone mad if someone going to a fancy dress party cannot actually look like the person they are trying to be.

No one is ‘offended’ by this, surely.

Its a different world from when I was a lad. And has been said the fact there is so much debate on it shows how things have changed. It's all about context for me and he's dressing as the character. Would there be the same outcry if it was the other way round. Different strokes and all that.

Slim Shady
03-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Please Stand Up!

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Are you offended by him dressing up as Mr T ?

If you want the truth then on a personal level I'm not offended by it but there will be a lot of people who are which is why I think it's been a stupid choice of fancy dress costume

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Please Stand Up!

Haha you've arrived at the right time :greengrin

Stuart93
What a load of nonsense. Jeezo.

In your opinion

Sir David Gray

Because either someone at Hearts has seen the image and told him to take it down because they're aware of the likely reaction it would cause or because he's had replies criticising him and he doesn't want to cause any hassle.

Just because he took it down quickly doesn't mean to say he was aware of what the reaction would be before posting it.

easty
I'm no going through 6 pages to see how the "I will be offended!" brigade are dealing with this...but for me, it's nothing at all.

A white guy cannae go as Mr T unless you paint your face black. It's not racist. If you dinnae like that. Fine.

"I pity the fools who think it's racist, I do, I do" (Said in a Mr T black guy voice, by me, a white guy).

SanFranHibs
Media will have a field day with this...Stockton went to the hearts xmas party dressed as Mr.T, painted himself black. Jesus wept.

Not sure if this has been asked, but what if he went wearing a Mr T mask? Would that be ok? Or is it just the cherry blossom that is offensive? If a black guy gets whitened up, is that an issue?

Or is grandad Trotter now a racist, xenophobic, fascist?...'You know Sidney Potter, the guy that always plays the black fella"

Maybe Mr T would be happy that he is still remembered and probably fondly by many. I did not watch the program but I know my parents would sometimes watch it and their favourite in it was Mr T, although my mum was probably just envious of his gold :)

Not sure the media will be too concerned about Cole Stockton. He might have to be introduced to many of them first.

patch1875
03-12-2017, 09:44 PM
I pity the fool who overreacts to this thread.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-12-2017, 09:45 PM

I once went to a fancy dress musical theme party as flava flav from public enemy, and i was 'blacked up'. Have to say i did it quite innocently, but equally i probably wouldnt do it again just in case someone took it the wrong way - i dont know if that is right or wrong though.

It strikes me as a bit over sensitive, but then many people are over sensitive.

Surely its personal choice though, and the jambo guy hasnt done anything wrong imo.

JimboHibs
03-12-2017, 09:46 PM
If you want the truth then on a personal level I'm not offended by it but there will be a lot of people who are which is why I think it's been a stupid choice of fancy dress costume

Fair enough,though why would you be concerned at others being offended ?

SChibs
03-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Dressed up as Mr T and blackface are 2 completely different things. People seem to be missing that

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Its a different world from when I was a lad. And has been said the fact there is so much debate on it shows how things have changed. It's all about context for me and he's dressing as the character. Would there be the same outcry if it was the other way round. Different strokes and all that.
We should start a petition demanding that Mr T goes to his Xmas party as Cole Stockton, to find out. :agree:

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 09:51 PM

I was making clear the fact that a lot of people will take issue & be personally offended by it & should probably been avoided

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Let's hope big Marv doesn't do a Hearts huddy and dress up as Neil Lennon. This place will have a meltdown.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Not sure if this has been asked, but what if he went wearing a Mr T mask? Would that be ok? Or is it just the cherry blossom that is offensive? If a black guy gets whitened up, is that an issue?

Or is grandad Trotter now a racist, xenophobic, fascist?...'You know Sidney Potter, the guy that always plays the black fella"

Maybe Mr T would be happy that he is still remembered and probably fondly by many. I did not watch the program but I know my parents would sometimes watch it and their favourite in it was Mr T, although my mum was probably just envious of his gold :)

Not sure the media will be too concerned about Cole Stockton. He might have to be introduced to many of them first.

I’ve asked the mask question 3 times still no reply from anyone.

hibby6270
It's all about context for me and he's dressing as the character. Would there be the same outcry if it was the other way round.

Now that I would love to see. Mr T in a Hertz strip with the name Stockton on it. LOL

Might be all they can afford in the January transfer window.
For obvious reasons though, he wouldn’t be able to play in Europe. :greengrin

Clarence

Haha - this sums this thread up.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 09:58 PM
When this was first mentioned, i never even thought for a moment about the racist connotations being mentioned?

So for me its not racist, those who think it is racist should not look at the worst scenario in everything.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Seems to be quite a popular hobby for a lot of folk these days.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 10:01 PM
I wonder what the reaction was from his team mates.

Albanian Hibs
03-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Here we go again. Another day, another bunch of people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. It's fancy dress ffs.

Captain Trips
03-12-2017, 10:10 PM
I heard he was going to go as a footballer but was told that would be very hard to pull off so opted for Mr T.

3pm
03-12-2017, 10:15 PM
I wonder what the reaction was from his team mates.

I pity the fool.

hibee_nation
03-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I’ve asked the mask question 3 times still no reply from anyone.

They have not quite worked out if they should be offended by that or not. Someone will make a decision on it then they will all follow like sheep. Non blackface variety of course :wink:

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I don’t get it.

Quite right. We should be celebrating the compelling irony of the great situationist that is Cole Stockton. Stockton is only holding up a mirror to our damaged society. Not the fault of this brilliant artist that it doesn’t like what it sees.

majorhibs
03-12-2017, 10:30 PM
I was making clear the fact that a lot of people will take issue & be personally offended by it & should probably been avoided

IMO people thickly trying to play cards against others should face action.

Is It On....
03-12-2017, 10:32 PM

I used to have a Tartan "golly" pin on my my bomber jacket in Sheffield in the early 90s.. didn't ever get called racist though did get the occasional "Scottish pr#ck" coment!!

Carheenlea
03-12-2017, 10:33 PM

:agree: Sums it up for me.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 10:35 PM
They have not quite worked out if they should be offended by that or not. Someone will make a decision on it then they will all follow like sheep. Non blackface variety of course :wink:

Frantically searching google to see if it is no doubt.

SlickShoes
03-12-2017, 10:35 PM
When this was first mentioned, i never even thought for a moment about the racist connotations being mentioned?

So for me its not racist, those who think it is racist should not look at the worst scenario in everything.

For me a white person this is not racist, brilliant, great, good for you.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 10:38 PM
For me a white person this is not racist, brilliant, great, good for you.

Hahaha, he dressed up as Mr T, how would anyone have known who he was if he did not paint his face black?

If you think its racist, then to you its racist. I never even gave it a thought, so no its not racists to me.

03-12-2017, 10:39 PM
What sort of moron doesn’t realise blacking up is maybe not a great idea?!

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Should be a few on here able to answer that for you.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 10:41 PM
What sort of moron doesn’t realise blacking up is maybe not a great idea?!Matt Lucas? :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 10:43 PM

This sort, me.

03-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Matt Lucas? :dunno:

Seems like he’s had a rethink.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/03/matt-lucas-little-britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Seems like he’s had a rethink.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/03/matt-lucas-little-britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character

Yep, took the p*sh out of all sorts in those days. Love Thy Neighbour all over again. Yet people watched Little Britain as if it was ok in the 2000s!

cheltenhamhibee
03-12-2017, 10:46 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+chicks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7jse_9O7XAhUELMAKHd2OABwQ_AUICigB&biw=1094&bih=511#imgrc=H2f_xVdLJBSS_M:

So is this ok ? I'm intrigued to find out if anyone finds this offensive ?

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 10:48 PM

World mad. Divide is fuelled by this crap. Bit of fun. Neil Diamond did same. Mr t is cool guy why should a white man not be able to dress up as him for fancy dress.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 10:50 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+chicks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7jse_9O7XAhUELMAKHd2OABwQ_AUICigB&biw=1094&bih=511#imgrc=H2f_xVdLJBSS_M:

Now this will be interesting 😁

majorhibs
03-12-2017, 10:51 PM

The not permanently offended type of moron?

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Part of it's offensive (men impersonating women, whom they've oppressed for centuries) and part's not offensive (blacks impersonating whites, whom they've not oppressed for centuries). Cinemas should supply all patrons with special glasses which can filter out the part that's offensive.

ancient hibee
03-12-2017, 10:53 PM
If I went as MrT would black people think I was being racist depicting a well known character as white wh n he’s actually black?

lord bunberry
03-12-2017, 10:54 PM
If I was going to an event that was fancy dress and one of my mates suggested blacking up and going as Mr T, I’d advise against it. Not because I find it offensive, but because I know that for some people it has a meaning other than a laugh on a night out.
A bit of common sense is all that’s needed in these situations.

Scouse Hibee

The sort that understands the context in which this particular incident was being played out in.

Stuart93
IMO people thickly trying to play cards against others should face action.

Confused as to what you mean by this?

Hiber-nation
03-12-2017, 10:55 PM
?

Just close the thread, it's run its course....

Stuart93
03-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Just close the thread, it's run its course....

yep close the thread because some people have a different opinion to your own

green day
03-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Mammy this threads gone crazy

Slavers
03-12-2017, 10:58 PM
It's not racist to dress up as Mr T but just don't do it in case someone is offended by it.

Is this really a free world we are living in?

Would i be offended if a black person wanted to dress up as Mel Gibson from Braveheart? No i could not care less.

If Cole Stockton wants to be Mr T then let him black up his face and be Mr T!! He should be free to identify and express himself as anyone he chooses and race should not be an issue.

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Pit workers??. Boot polish face for fancy dress or in fact any reason for a white man is a total no go?? as compared to say name calling or acts to disadvantage someone based on colour.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Why are folk still calling it “blacking up?” He dressed up for fancy dress as an 80’s icon. Not blacking up in the context others are trying to make it.

And for the love of god one of you answer my question about the mask surely to god you will know??

neil7908
03-12-2017, 11:01 PM
If I was going to an event that was fancy dress and one of my mates suggested blacking up and going as Mr T, I’d advise against it. Not because I find it offensive, but because I know that for some people it has a meaning other than a laugh on a night out.

This 100%.

A thousand things you can dress up as.

It's a bit like when folk dress up as celebrities or ordinary folk in the news who've just died. Take a wee breath and go as something else. What you and your mates think is funny doesn't apply to the rest of the world.

Pete
03-12-2017, 11:03 PM

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 11:03 PM
This 100%.

A thousand things you can dress up as.

It's a bit like when folk dress up as celebrities who've just died. Take a wee breath and go as something else. What you and your mates think is funny doesn't apply to the rest of the world.

:agree: Only dead people should play dead people.

Pete
03-12-2017, 11:04 PM
And for the love of god one of you answer my question about the mask surely to god you will know??

It was Jim Carey.

neil7908
:agree: Only dead people should play dead people.

?

Danderhall Hibs

:agree: and if he was really stupid and ignored me I’d try and convince him to meet me halfway and wear a mask instead (if you can get one).

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 11:05 PM
?
Go on then, what's your objection to dressing up as a dead person?

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 11:05 PM
It was Jim Carey.

Thank you 😁

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 11:08 PM
Why are folk still calling it “blacking up?” He dressed up for fancy dress as an 80’s icon. Not blacking up in the context others are trying to make it.

Sense. Dont go as mr t you cant put shoe polish on your face it is bang out of order just stick a blond wig on and smoke a cigar:( . The wig and cigar is wrong not the mr t tribute

majorhibs
03-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Clowns!!! Let’s all dress as clowns!?!? Then, with our noses & big shoes, we will be cleverer than the permanently offended no-hopers on this thread!!! Hahaha

LaMotta
03-12-2017, 11:10 PM

I'm not offended in the slightest by what hes done but you would surely have to have been living in a bubble for the last 5 or so years to not know that this would be a stupid idea and would end up in the papers.

neil7908

I think the point though is that white people painting there face black is historically a dodgy area and should probably just be avoided. I don't think anyone on this thread has called him a racist but said it's just ill advised.

Oh and for the record I think the mask thing is less of a big deal for the reason I've outlined above.

There's a little bit of the Prince Harry wearing a Nazi costume about this. I don't think Harry is a Nazi, he seems alright (for a royal at least) but it was just very, very stupid, especially for someone in his position.

Thecat23
Sense. Dont go as mr t you cant put shoe polish on your face it is bang out of order just stick a blond wig on and smoke a cigar:( . The wig and cigar is wrong not the mr t tribute

Well it’s not shoe polish lets be clear. It’s about 10 layers of fake tan! To get the look of Mr T he can’t go white can he? It’s nit racist it may not be the best thing to go as but it’s not blacking up either.

neil7908
03-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Go on then, what's your objection to dressing up as a dead person?

I think it's really poor taste. To be clear, I'm not saying ban it or folk should be lifted, there's just no need.

And also, I notice you've twisted my words. I didn't say any dead people. I'm thinking more those who rush out with glee to dress as a celebrity that's just died. What concerns me more is that they think it's funny as ****.

But if that's what you want to do crack on.

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 11:14 PM
I think the point though is that white people painting there face black is historically a dodgy area and should probably just be avoided. I don't think anyone on this thread has called him a racist but said it's just ill advised.

Oh and for the record I think the mask thing is less of a big deal for the reason I've outlined above.

There's a little bit of the Prince Harry wearing a Nazi costume about this. I don't think Harry is a Nazi, he seems alright (for a royal at least) but it was just very, very stupid, especially for someone in his position.

It would be if he was dresssd like the old jam jar type blacking up. This is an actor a tv icon so surely you can see that as well?

The Harry thing didn’t bother me either, daft yes but In a world where more serious **** is happening things like this don’t really offend me.

Dropkick Murphy
03-12-2017, 11:15 PM

The historical context of white people painting their face black to imitate a black person is that it was a form entertainment that sought to reinforce false negative stereotypes of black inferiority. Thats's what makes it distasteful and offensive to people today. The same context does not exist in the opposite direction. I am not saying the hearts player is a racist, although this thread is evidence to the fact that he could have chosen a better costume, I just feel that some are missing the reason why certain people find the whole thing to be distasteful.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2017, 11:17 PM
I think it's really poor taste. To be clear, I'm not saying ban it or folk should be lifted, there's just no need.

And also, I notice you've twisted my words. I didn't say any dead people. I'm thinking more those who rush out with glee to dress as a celebrity that's just died. What concerns me more is that they think it's funny as ****.

But if that's what you want to do crack on.

Really, what does it matter? The dead person's not going to be bothered, his/her friends and family aren't going to be at your fancy dress party, what is there to be offended about? How long after his/her death is it acceptable to dress up as a celebrity? :confused:

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Well it’s not shoe polish lets be clear. It’s about 10 layers of fake tan! To get the look of Mr T he can’t go white can he? It’s nit racist it may not be the best thing to go as but it’s not blacking up either. no i dont think racist. Fancy dress is just that.

03-12-2017, 11:18 PM
It would be if he was dresssd like the old jam jar type blacking up. This is an actor a tv icon so surely you can see that as well?

The Harry thing didn’t bother me either, daft yes but In a world where more serious **** is happening things like this don’t really offend me.

Phew. Thank god you’re not offended. Maybe consider why black people may find blacking up offensive.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-12-2017, 11:21 PM
If someone went to a fantasy dress party as Shrek (Not the Rooney variety) what colour would you expect them to be?

patlowe
03-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Can't help but feel uncomfortable commenting on this but the notion of white privilege seems relevant in response to some of the comments here. I'm no expert on these things but this article was a real eye-opener for me: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/30/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race

When you consider all the advantages and privileges white people have had (and often propagated) for centuries that black people were and still are denied, is it such a big ask to suggest that white people might best refrain from pretending to be black for entertainment?

Edit: Not trying to suggest there was racist intent on Stockton's part, just that dressing up as a black person is stupid and not that big a hardship to avoid.

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 11:22 PM
The historical context of white people painting their face black to imitate a black person is that it was a form entertainment that sought to reinforce false negative stereotypes of black inferiority. Thats's what makes it distasteful and offensive to people today. The same context does not exist in the opposite direction. I am not saying the hearts player is a racist, although this thread is evidence to the fact that he could have chosen a better costume, I just feel that some are missing the reason why certain people find the whole thing to be distasteful.

Oppresion is wrong. Fancy dress is fancy dress.Some dutch fans who are white paint face and wear ruud guillit tops to games. He won them only major trophy. Is that bad

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Stil no word on whether his black team mates took offence to his efforts to portray a black guy?

neil7908

I can see the difference but I get a bit annoyed at the whole PC gone mad stuff that comes out after stuff like this with everyone frothing at the mouth about how things were back in their day because they're being asked to think a bit differently.

I don't think the Hearts guy is a racist or anyone defending him on here is but without repeating myself, there's just no need imo. I don't think there is much else to say, one of these ones where neither side will change their opinion.

lapsedhibee
Phew. Thank god you’re not offended. Maybe consider why black people may find blacking up offensive.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive

That article pretty much rules out what Cole Stockton did as 'blackfacing'. What was your point in linking it? :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 11:25 PM
If someone went to a fantasy dress party as Shrek (Not the Rooney variety) what colour would you expect them to be?

Green. Not sure I get your point though?

Thecat23
03-12-2017, 11:26 PM
I can see the difference but I get a bit annoyed at the whole PC gone mad stuff that comes out after stuff like this with everyone frothing at the mouth about how things were back in their day because they're being asked to think a bit differently.

I don't think the Hearts guy is a racist or anyone defending him on here is but without repeating myself, there's just no need imo. I don't think there is much else to say, one of these ones where neither side will change their opinion.

That’s fair enough, I don’t think this is racist at all and I feel and I’m glad we’ve moved on from the 70’s but this isn’t anything like that but I accept that’s just me and others like yourself maybe see it differently.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Stil no word on whether his black team mates took offence to his efforts to portray a black guy?

have you been expecting someone on here to give Jamie walker or Djoum a bell to find out for you?

neil7908
03-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Really, what does it matter? The dead person's not going to be bothered, his/her friends and family aren't going to be at your fancy dress party, what is there to be offended about? How long after his/her death is it acceptable to dress up as a celebrity? :confused:

Magic so I'll dress up as dead Madeline McCann then? After all, her parents won't ever find out right?