PDA

View Full Version : Cole stockton "blacking it up"

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Captain Trips
04-12-2017, 10:57 PM
If you were to actually read my posts I've said a number of times it doesn't offend me personally but would probably offend some people & thought a pro footballer would've chose something that couldn't be seen as offensive

There is stuff on TV that might offend people, people will be offended from now until the end of days if Cole Stockton felt that was a good idea and was done as a fancy dress then damn right he should have done it if he wanted to.

MGmick
04-12-2017, 11:06 PM
If you were to actually read my posts I've said a number of times it doesn't offend me personally but would probably offend some people & thought a pro footballer would've chose something that couldn't be seen as offensive

OK, got it I think. You, personally, were not offended. You were just being offended on behalf of others who may have been unaware of or unable to express their own offence at such an offensive/unobtrusive event. Got it. And it must be a massive disappointment when such an intellectual colossus as a professional footballer is so socially unaware.

mjhibby
05-12-2017, 03:05 AM
Every working class man of every culture/nation has suffered discrimination, cruelty, torture, death at the hands of their so-called masters/superiors throughout history. Check out the history of the Slavic Russians, The Chinese Peasants, The Cambodian field workers, The Jews, Gosh, I could go on and on.
The past is the past is the past.
I personally am not responsible for what was/was not perpetrated/carried-out by my white ancestors. It is a nonsense to suggest that my generation should be burdened with some misguided collective guilt because of the behaviour of those that went before me.
Wars and violence are carried out by those who still harbour a sense of injustice. Little wonder the world is screwed up and in a PC mess.
Reparations are all very well, but where do we draw the line in apologising and moving on? At what point in history do we draw a line and say we go no further back?
There are a great many scots who don't hide their hatred of the English, but didn't Bannockburn take place in 1314 and have we not fought in wars alongside our English/fellow British for over 300 years?
Gandhi said "be the change in the world" Well, that change has to happen in every single individual, whether, black, white, yellow or brown. This change must include forgiving and moving on.

Every country on the planet has done terrible things. Let's move on. The older posters on here are more understanding of life's realities IMHO while younger ones have a very idealistic view of the world. Racism is horrible in any form and as I say to my son it's a ridiculous as discriminating against someone if they are left handed. What people perceive as racism is purely up to the individual but I do wish that society wouldnt try to tell us what is and isn't racism. In this instance no racism or intention to offend. He's a crap jambo player but is no racist.

mjhibby
05-12-2017, 03:13 AM
Personally, I don't think black people would give a hoot about this.

If you are going to a fancy dress party and the person you are depicting is black, then what the Hell are you meant to do to look like him/her?

You're going to darken your bloody skin aren't you?

Doesn't make one a racist. :rolleyes:

Indeed. Still can't get my head round the argument. He's dressing as a character.

Jim Herriot
05-12-2017, 03:47 AM

Beefster
05-12-2017, 05:49 AM
If a sighted black guy plyed the part of Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder in a production would that be racist or blind/see ist?

If my kid asked a question like this, he’d be grounded for about five years and I’d probably write him out of my will.

calamitus
05-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Indeed. Still can't get my head round the argument. He's dressing as a character.

Agreed. If you were going as the Hulk, you'd paint yourself green.

I totally agree that blackface (minstrels or golliwog) is insulting and degrading because it shows a nostalgia for times of oppression and slavery.

Darkening skin tone to dress as Mr T, a beloved symbol of black power and success, is just fancy dress.

The difference is the power and standing of who's being portrayed. And the fact it's a person or character, rather than a stereotype.

For anyone mentioning cultural appropriation, that's not what it means. Cultural appropriation is a daily/permanent adoption of elements from another culture.

For example, when young white and Asian guys from Leith get totally into West Coast rap or wear basketball shoes.

Or when Run DMC wore German tracksuits.

I think the world would be a duller place without it.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2017, 06:20 AM
I think this has run it's course. It's descended from a pretty respectful debate with a bit humour for good measure to a slagging match with personal insults getting thrown about. I can't see there is much that hasn't been covered again and again and hysterical ranting, from both sides, is only headed one way.

Thread closed.