PDA

View Full Version : Easter Road Mural

Austinho
03-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,

This has been a bit of a dream of mine for some time now, but I've never really known how to go about it.

Across the road from the club shop at Easter Road, there is a giant gable end on the terrace on Albion Place. I've always thought it would be incredible to have a Hibs related mural/street art painted there. So I did a quick photoshop mockup:

The illustration I used was by an American guy called Paine Proffitt. His football illustrations (http://www.paineproffitt.com/football.html) are incredible, and he's done work for loads of British Clubs. He even designed the Hibs v Ross County League Cup final program in 2016, and a series for Aberdeen's match day magazines. I'm a designer myself, and whilst I've never even spoken to him, I've no doubt this guy would be the absolute best person for the job if this was something that could be made into a reality.

Now, the biggest stumbling block is the fact the gable end isn't on Hibs property, so would probably need council approval. I did notice the Hibernian Community Foundation were in one of the Albion Place buildings however, so who knows. The ticket office building would be another option, but not quite as impactful:

I think this would be fantastic, would really make Easter Road feel more homely. Adding the harp back on the stand should only be the beginning of sprucing up the stadium and adding colour to the surrounding area. The question is, how would I go about proposing it getting done? Contact Hibs? Contact the council? Approach supporters for funding? From a personal standpoint, I live in Australia, so it isn't particularly realistic I'd be able to get too involved. It was just an idea of mine really! Thoughts?

hibbyfraelibby
03-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,

This has been a bit of a dream of mine for some time now, but I've never really known how to go about it.

Across the road from the club shop at Easter Road, there is a giant gable end on the terrace on Albion Place. I've always thought it would be incredible to have a Hibs related mural/street art painted there. So I did a quick photoshop mockup:

The illustration I used was by an American guy called Paine Proffitt. His football illustrations (http://www.paineproffitt.com/football.html) are incredible, and he's done work for loads of British Clubs. He even designed the Hibs v Ross County League Cup final program in 2016, and a series for Aberdeen's match day magazines. I'm a designer myself, and whilst I've never even spoken to him, I've no doubt this guy would be the absolute best person for the job if this was something that could be made into a reality.

Now, the biggest stumbling block is the fact the gable end isn't on Hibs property, so would probably need council approval. I did notice the Hibernian Community Foundation were in one of the Albion Place buildings however, so who knows. The ticket office building would be another option, but not quite as impactful:

I think this would be fantastic, would really make Easter Road feel more homely. Adding the harp back on the stand should only be the beginning of sprucing up the stadium and adding colour to the surrounding area. The question is, how would I go about proposing it getting done? Contact Hibs? Contact the council? Approach supporters for funding? From a personal standpoint, I live in Australia, so it isn't particularly realistic I'd be able to get too involved. It was just an idea of mine really! Thoughts?

That building across the road is privately owned and you have no chance of getting permission from every single owner in the stair.

RyeSloan
03-12-2017, 09:33 AM
That building across the road is privately owned and you have no chance of getting permission from every single owner in the stair.

I think the OP acknowledged the fact that it wouldn't be straightforward.

But none the less it's a bloody great idea and who knows with the right backing / visibility it's surely not beyond the wit of man to make it happen!

Hibrandenburg
03-12-2017, 09:54 AM

If it's done tastefully it could add value to the property.

hibbyfraelibby
03-12-2017, 10:18 AM
If it's done tastefully it could add value to the property.

I know of at least one Jambo in that stair who would seriously doubt its tastefulness!😁

seanshow
03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Your mock up looks fantastic, and really shows what can be done to enhance the area.
If you needed fans to contribute money wise, I'm sure everyone would chip in.

The rights/legality/permission would be a hard bridge to cross though.
I suppose it would also be open to yamish spraypainting skullduggery after it was done.

Pretty Boy
03-12-2017, 10:51 AM
It would look fantastic.

If it’s not possible one thing I noticed at the Falkirk Stadium is they have big mural boards built in to the side of their stand opposite the away, they are on both side on the inside. Maybe something similar but on the outside of the West? The end behind the ticket office in your picture.

As an aside it would be a very expensive project. The Persevered picture on the side of the FF stand costs over £2000 and has an expected lifespan of about 2 years before the weather gets the better of it.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2017, 11:12 AM
I know of at least one Jambo in that stair who would seriously doubt its tastefulness!😁

Given the imposing and spectacular edifice he has chosen to live opposite, I'd have thought a wee mural would be the least of his concerns.

G B Young
03-12-2017, 11:32 AM
It's a good idea. Hibs use the side of the FF Stand to display posters but a mural would add real depth to the sense that this is is the home of the Hibees.

I think it would need to sit higher up the wall rather than reaching down to ground level, otherwise it would quickly gather dog pee and assorted muck, not to mention being a target for vandalism.

Would the residents be all that bothered? At present it's just a blank, featureless gable end with no windows (or at least I'm guessing there are no windows judging by the mock-up) so I don't really see how it affects their property.

yonder1875
03-12-2017, 11:34 AM
It would look class, Patrick's is decent too.

wookie70
03-12-2017, 11:37 AM
It's their property and it definitely effects it. I suspect payment would have to be made to each resident and permission sought. I would imagine if it looked as good as the mock up it may add value to the property and who knows could spark a similar series across the city like Glasgow had done. I suspect if the suggestion was for one at Tiny the painters would be up ladders before the council even asked the owners but that won't be the case for us. Well worth pursuing and for very little money you could find out the owners from Registers of Scotland and start testing the waters. Pretty sure a quick fundraiser here would cover that.

traceyhibs
03-12-2017, 11:40 AM
This is something we could bring up at the Working Together Group and have a look at. We unfortunately won’t have another meeting until January now but I can certainly add to the agenda for us to discuss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
03-12-2017, 11:40 AM
That looks incredible

Pete
03-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Brilliant idea and I reckon local artists would do it for minimum outlay. As much as I like his design, would this Proffit guy be profit by nature? Soviet murals have always impressed me so why not some Hibs propaganda in that style?

I’ve no doubt there’ll be a Hearts fan with a small willy just waiting to put a spanner in the works at some stage though. A resident or someone in the council.

RyeSloan
03-12-2017, 12:01 PM
And let's not forget their is a similar gable end mural at the end of Junction Road so it would not be setting any sort of precedent.

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I've been banging on about this for ages on here .... As somebody else pointed out, its a featureless gable end, you would hope the residents would be willing to cooperate :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
03-12-2017, 12:32 PM
My concern would be people vandalising it with paint etc

Topographic Hibby
03-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Rather than a permanent paint job, how about one of these laser image things from a projector, eg from the top of the Club Shop roof or FF somewhere. Especially at night, it would look great. As a temp thing, it wouldn’t need permission from residents etc (esp if there are no windows on the gable).

Did GQ or Gail Porter ever get permission from House of Commons when they projected her naked image on Parliament?

hibsdaft
03-12-2017, 12:39 PM
An overtly Hibs orientated mural may not find favour amongst all the property owners but something attractive, green and more loosely Leith/ Hibs linked may. E.g. a dark green 'persevere' mural. As someone else mentioned the owners would benefit from increased property prices. If the work coincided with some minor render repair (may be necessary anyway) then that might swing it for them.

I am sure there would be the expertise and brains to get this done between the Historical trust, the club and then this group, who would probably be keen to get involved and have lots of experience in this area: http://www.leithlate.co.uk/listings/the-mural-project/

Planning permission would be needed as it would be on a flat development and 'permitted development rights' would not apply, but this should be straightforward and only a few hundred quid.

Stantons Angel
03-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Is the ticket office not a listed building, so they cant do anything to it?

Nameless
03-12-2017, 04:44 PM
I’ve no doubt there’ll be a Hearts fan with a small willy just waiting to put a spanner in the works at some stage though.

This, is my favourite ever post on this board.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

mcohibs
03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
There's been chat for a while about a statue commemorating the Famous Five outside the ground. I like the idea of some kind of mural on that wall but think the F5 would look magic on it, especially as it's opposite that stand. As another poster has said, if permission was given it could be put about half way up the wall to avoid vandalism etc.

Either that or we start doing massive tally marks on it counting the derbies played since hertz have beat us...

IlDiavola
03-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone,

Great idea but probably no chance I'm afraid :boo hoo:

mcohibs
03-12-2017, 05:16 PM
There's been chat for a while about a statue commemorating the Famous Five outside the ground. I like the idea of some kind of mural on that wall but think the F5 would look magic on it, especially as it's opposite that stand. As another poster has said, if permission was given it could be put about half way up the wall to avoid vandalism etc.

Either that or we start doing massive tally marks on it counting the derbies played since hertz have beat us...

Hermit Crab
03-12-2017, 05:34 PM
It would look class, Patrick's is decent too.

Who? :confused:

Finn2015
03-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Fantastic idea. Would love to see something like this happen

Tornadoes70
03-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Could have the Famous Five, Turnbulls Tornadoes and the 2016 Legends incorporated into it along with other greatest famous players painted in somewhere. Just a suggestion. Whatever the final look of it is I think its a great idea.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Great idea if poss. Could mibbie get Meadowbanksie to knock something up :)

Zazu62
03-12-2017, 08:23 PM
It getting vandalised would be my concern

-Jonesy-
03-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Can really see the hertz loving council being right behind this!!

Pete
03-12-2017, 10:07 PM
This, is my favourite ever post on this board.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

:greengrin:

It’s funny ‘cause it’s true.

Greenfly
03-12-2017, 10:50 PM
It's a very fine idea. Hearts have been talking for a while about doing one in McLeod Street in conjunction with Gorgie Dalry Community Council - some kind of montage of scenes from local history including several scenes of the maroon balloons getting up to their thing. That surely sets some kind of planning precedent (assuming they've got it). A Hibs one could look great. Personally I like the idea of something historical (Famous Five being an obvious option) and would rather see a bold statement of community art like that than a statue - very few of which work for me - and some of which are hideous. But revenue costs are important too because it would have to be maintained. A mural looks rubbish if it's left peeling and weatherbeaten. - in principle, it's a right good idea.

Jones28
04-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Could we not do something on the walls of the stadium?

I know a lot of them got painted green in the closed season but a mural on the outside walls of the FF stand would be pretty cool.

adhibs
04-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Would be a fantastic addition to area. Hopefully see it happen!

Baader
04-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Looks great and would love to see something like that. I think we should have more reference points around Easter Road and Leith.

A statue of the Famous Five really needs to happen.

Austinho
12-01-2019, 03:12 AM
This is something we could bring up at the Working Together Group and have a look at. We unfortunately won’t have another meeting until January now but I can certainly add to the agenda for us to discuss?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkForgot all about this and maybe time for a revisit - I see Easter Road has had a green paint job most of the way around the stadium.

Do you still do working together groups Tracey?

Viva_Palmeiras
12-01-2019, 05:44 AM

Just get him to do it in the style of Banksy - jobs a good un.

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2019, 06:19 AM
Let me be the first one to start the stock boring rubbish:

1. Loan period successfull: ‘he’s signing a pre contract with Celtic”
2. Loan period failure: ‘why do we tie up wages on expensive unproven loan signings instead of getting decent players on contract?’

BlackSheep
12-01-2019, 06:22 AM

2. Loan period failure: ‘why do we tie up wages on expensive unproven loan signings instead of getting decent players on contract?’

Eh...?

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-01-2019, 06:28 AM

Hmm. I like it, but I’m not sure it’s that catchy for the side of a building.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-01-2019, 06:33 AM
Eh...?

Momentary lapse of reason.

SirDavidsNapper
12-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Sorry if already mentioned but i noticed on the Sunderland Til I Die documentary that they have a huge mural of an ex player on the side of a building in the city, looks good. Unfortunately in Scotland, in a city with two teams it would be vandalised constantly.

traceyhibs
12-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Forgot all about this and maybe time for a revisit - I see Easter Road has had a green paint job most of the way around the stadium.

Do you still do working together groups Tracey?

Hi there,

I do yes. We are actually pulling a group together with regards to stadium decoration and there will be a walk round the stadium to look at external and internal areas. The club will be looking to discuss ideas on how we can improve these and in particular the concourses.

If you want to get involved drop me a note of your email as I’ll be putting something out to the group by Monday.

Thanks

Tracey

Joe6-2
12-01-2019, 10:00 AM

He must hate wakening up to that magnificent sight opposite every day!!

Itsnoteasy
12-01-2019, 10:02 AM
It would look fantastic.

If it’s not possible one thing I noticed at the Falkirk Stadium is they have big mural boards built in to the side of their stand opposite the away, they are on both side on the inside. Maybe something similar but on the outside of the West? The end behind the ticket office in your picture.

As an aside it would be a very expensive project. The Persevered picture on the side of the FF stand costs over £2000 and has an expected lifespan of about 2 years before the weather gets the better of it.

Never knew it only had a 2 year life expectancy. Surely something that was more durable & cost more would have made sense.
When it starts to look like a pile of $h1t3 it will cost money to remove it.

DaveF
12-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Never knew it only had a 2 year life expectancy. Surely something that was more durable & cost more would have made sense.
When it starts to look like a pile of $h1t3 it will cost money to remove it.

It was paid for via donations from this website. 2 grand from here is not a small amount and what was installed was good value in my opinion. Still looks great to me.

Weegreenman
12-01-2019, 10:30 AM
I love the OP way of thinking but I’m afraid I just can’t see this happening. A privately owned tenement, made up of several different owners just isn’t a go’er!

A great place for a mural would be inside the stands or the ends of the stands or even on the outside of the stadium itself.

calumhibee1
12-01-2019, 10:37 AM
It was paid for via donations from this website. 2 grand from here is not a small amount and what was installed was good value in my opinion. Still looks great to me.

Must have been up a while now? Without paying that much attention to it recently I didn’t think it looked worn at all?

Pretty Boy
12-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Must have been up a while now? Without paying that much attention to it recently I didn’t think it looked worn at all?

It must be about 2 and a half years. I agred it still looks good and it's nice it's lasted longer than expected.

There used to be a wee plaque underneath mentioning it had been paid for by users of this site but that seems to have disappeared since the paint job was done in the summer.

cabbageandribs1875
12-01-2019, 10:50 AM

or, maybe not

Itsnoteasy
12-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Yes I know it was paid from donations.
I was one who donated.
Can't remember seeing this info when donations were asked for.
The point I was making was that if only a suspected 2 year life span I'm sure people would have paid more if there was an option on how long this would last.
Is it now up to .net to raise the funds when this has to be removed.

matty_f
12-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Yes I know it was paid from donations.
I was one who donated.
Can't remember seeing this info when donations were asked for.
The point I was making was that if only a suspected 2 year life span I'm sure people would have paid more if there was an option on how long this would last.
Is it now up to .net to raise the funds when this has to be removed.
No.

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Hi there,

I do yes. We are actually pulling a group together with regards to stadium decoration and there will be a walk round the stadium to look at external and internal areas. The club will be looking to discuss ideas on how we can improve these and in particular the concourses.

If you want to get involved drop me a note of your email as I’ll be putting something out to the group by Monday.

Thanks

Tracey

That’s good to hear. The stadium is looking very tired externally at points. Think just a good clean would go a long way to be honest. Good to hear that there’s plans in place for improving things.

Hibiza
12-01-2019, 11:04 AM
great idea :flag:

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Hi there,

Thanks

Tracey

Never mind awe this windae dressin'

South east corner …. big screen enclosed like at Ibrox
Northwest corner ….. big screen as above
South west corner … dedicated TV studio
North east corner … huge fans bar with views onto the pitch

The whole lot should only cost about 10 million …. cant understand the delay :confused:

traceyhibs
12-01-2019, 11:48 AM

The whole lot should only cost about 10 million …. cant understand the delay :confused:

I’m just waiting to win the Euro millions then we will sort it for you

Itsnoteasy
12-01-2019, 12:19 PM

As always Tracey thanks for keeping the fans informed to the best of your knowledge.
A thankless task but you always seem to try your best.

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2019, 12:28 PM
I’m just waiting to win the Euro millions then we will sort it for you

Now now Tracey … Its not up to a fan or director winning the Euromillions … This should be an objective for the club in the medium to long term and it would cost the club nothing to merely acknowledge the fact.

Easter Road is not the finished article and there are a number of stadiums in the UK and Europe which show how you can take a good stadium and make it into a magnificent one by connecting 4 separate stands together … nobody is pretending its a priority, but if it isn't at least an objective we are selling ourselves short.

traceyhibs
12-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Now now Tracey … Its not up to a fan or director winning the Euromillions … This should be an objective for the club in the medium to long term and it would cost the club nothing to merely acknowledge the fact.

Easter Road is not the finished article and there are a number of stadiums in the UK and Europe which show how you can take a good stadium and make it into a magnificent one by connecting 4 separate stands together … nobody is pretending its a priority, but if it isn't at least an objective we are selling ourselves short.

I know that and the club know that and it’s something that gets brought up regularly re the corners.

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2019, 12:44 PM
I know that and the club know that and it’s something that gets brought up regularly re the corners.

:aok:

The Pointer
12-01-2019, 09:13 PM
There are OSB based materials on the market which can have images applied to them that will last donkeys years, even in exposed locations.

hibsfan7
12-01-2019, 10:21 PM
david gray scoring the winning goal in the final would be the best ever mural

Cocaine&Caviar
12-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Take a visit to St Pauli's stadium; although not the biggest, or most high tech, the internal and external areas are incredible, and give a great reflection of what the clubs background is

Cheshire Hibee
12-01-2019, 10:30 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Carl.Hubbard.WTID78/videos/10204906667224323/

Cheshire Hibee
12-01-2019, 10:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Carl.Hubbard.WTID78/videos/10204906667224323/

How about something like this, concourse under one of Warrington Wolves stands.

Austinho
13-01-2019, 12:47 AM
How about something like this, concourse under one of Warrington Wolves stands.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYour link doesn’t work I’m afraid.