PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

SideBurns
03-12-2017, 02:12 AM
No-one who witnessed his performance today would think there was any need to go shopping in the January sales for a new left back. There was one incident in the 2nd half which, for me, summed Lewis up - a 50/50 (or possibly 60/40 in favour of the Jags player) tackle - I was just hoping he'd knock it out for a throw. Not Lewis though; he won the ball, got on his feet and charged upfield, almost setting up another goal.
Kieran Tierney is obviously the best left back in Scottish football. But, after him, it is Stevenson.

Johnny_Leith
03-12-2017, 02:22 AM
Graeme shinnie, Izaguire & Lee wallace (grass) are better full backs than Stevenson. He's a good left back for us, but he's not the second best left back in the country.

HoboHarry
03-12-2017, 02:36 AM
Graeme shinnie, Izaguire & Lee wallace (grass) are better full backs than Stevenson. He's a good left back for us, but he's not the second best left back in the country.
In your opinion.

MagicSwirlingShip
03-12-2017, 03:33 AM
Lewis is the man.

We could do, and have done, alot worse.

California-Hibs
03-12-2017, 03:36 AM

Agree with you here too.

Johnny_Leith
03-12-2017, 03:46 AM
In your opinion.

Yes, in my opinion. Take it you disagree?

HoboHarry
03-12-2017, 03:54 AM
Of course I do, I would have thought that was obvious. I wouldn't swap Lewis for any of them but then comments like yours are no surprise on days like these when we have claimed three points and you have nothing else to whine about.

truehibernian
03-12-2017, 03:55 AM
Agree with you here too.

Shinnie is currently playing inside half, the other two aren't getting a sniff of first team action CH - as it stands wee Lewy is probably the second best left back in the league - which isn't that bad an accolade for a natural midfielder :agree::aok:

Quite probably the most under rated and under valued players at Hibs in my supporting lifetime - he's the first on my team sheet every single weekend. Funny how folk remember David Murphy's skill and ability (and in particular his first touch) - he thought Lewis was equally as good, if not better. I would 100% agree - watch a game and only McGeouch equals him in being able to control a ball at pace and keep possession.

leither17
03-12-2017, 04:07 AM
Izzaguire isn’t even playing in this league anymore

Johnny_Leith
03-12-2017, 04:08 AM
Of course I do, I would have thought that was obvious. I wouldn't swap Lewis for any of them but then comments like yours are no surprise on days like these when we have claimed three points and you have nothing else to whine about.

Did you read my original comment at all? I stated I think Stevenson is a good left back for us 😂. Please look through my posts and find me one where I've whined about us getting three points away from home?

Each to their own on opinions with players btw, I think Stevenson does a good job for us but think shinnie when played at left back is a better player, and the other two have international recognition.

Calm down, we are all hibs fans here and when someone disagrees with you why don't you come back with some constructive points.

Johnny_Leith
03-12-2017, 04:10 AM
Izzaguire isn’t even playing in this league anymore

My bad, wasn't aware he's offski.

Hermit Crab
03-12-2017, 06:26 AM
No-one who witnessed his performance today would think there was any need to go shopping in the January sales for a new left back. There was one incident in the 2nd half which, for me, summed Lewis up - a 50/50 (or possibly 60/40 in favour of the Jags player) tackle - I was just hoping he'd knock it out for a throw. Not Lewis though; he won the ball, got on his feet and charged upfield, almost setting up another goal.
Kieran Tierney is obviously the best left back in Scottish football. But, after him, it is Stevenson.

Sorry but I don't agree. In my opinion we need a left new back.

SideBurns
03-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Sorry but I don't agree. In my opinion we need a left new back.

What did you think he could have done better yesterday? Even his deliveries into the box (usually his very obvious Achilles heel) were good!

Sammy7nil
03-12-2017, 07:17 AM
What did you think he could have done better yesterday? Even his deliveries into the box (usually his very obvious Achilles heel) were good!

I don't think he is talking about this one game it is his overall performances. Whilst I like Lewis I still think teams can and do target him so they must feel he has weaknesses they can exploit.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2017, 07:39 AM
He had a great second half, but when Barker came on he was tactically rubbish for the last 10 minutes and tried to get forward (forcing Barker into filling the LB position). I like Lewis, but Lennon has to be telling him that when we play with a winger, his job is to defend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
03-12-2017, 07:48 AM

First cross he tried from a good position on the by line hit the first defender 6 yds away! His crossing is poor and always has been, one good cross out of 8-10 a match is poor mate. Defensively he is average at best. O'Halleran roasted him, GMS roasted him, Forrest will roast him next week. As the above poster says, he is seen as a weakness both in height and ability so teams target him. We need a replacement

greenlex
03-12-2017, 08:01 AM
He had a great second half, but when Barker came on he was tactically rubbish for the last 10 minutes and tried to get forward (forcing Barker into filling the LB position). I like Lewis, but Lennon has to be telling him that when we play with a winger, his job is to defend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk that’s not tactically rubbish. That’s exactly what Barker should be doing when Stevenson is bombing forward. He doesn’t defend enough in these situations and when Stevenson’s under pressure. That’s a flaw in Barkers game.

SChibs
03-12-2017, 08:10 AM

Stevenson was on lennons side 2nd half so if he was doing something wrong tactically he'd have been told fairly quickly. What he was doing was obviously what he's been told to do

Borderhibbie76
03-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkUtter nonsense...Barker was the one not doing his defensive duties AGAIN...nothing to do with Lewy at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bingo70
03-12-2017, 08:27 AM
This is what annoys me about the Stevenson debate, when he has a good game (and he has them regularly) to some people he’s the next Roberto carlos. When he has a poorer game he’s the worst thing since pa kujabi. For some reason he really polarises opinion.

Imo he’s alright and if we stick with him it’s not the end of the world but if we genuinely want to move up a level to be competing for 2nd or 3rd I think his is the obvious position to try and improve upon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2017, 08:38 AM
There will be folk who are happy that it was an og yesterday so that the role that Lewis played in it can be played down. If we had the best players in all positions we would be top of the league, but we don't and we aren't but where we are is great. Positive for Lewis is that he is big enough not to let the boo boys realise their own dreams.

bingo70
03-12-2017, 08:45 AM
There will be folk who are happy that it was an og yesterday so that the role that Lewis played in it can be played down. If we had the best players in all positions we would be top of the league, but we don't and we aren't but where we are is great. Positive for Lewis is that he is big enough not to let the boo boys realise their own dreams.

Pretty much proves my point.

Of course nobody cares it was an own goal, it’s bizarre, if anyone dares criticise him or think we can do better it’s because of an ulterior motive.

Stevenson is alright and nobody doubts he’ll always give his all, some people just think it’s an area of the team that can be improved on.

HFCdeb
03-12-2017, 08:46 AM
that’s not tactically rubbish. That’s exactly what Barker should be doing when Stevenson is bombing forward. He doesn’t defend enough in these situations and when Stevenson’s under pressure. That’s a flaw in Barkers game.

Totally agree and hope it's being worked on as part of Barker's development.

lyonhibs
03-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Is the thread title "Lewis Stevenson" the most frequently used in .net history?

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Pretty much proves my point.

Of course nobody cares it was an own goal, it’s bizarre, if anyone dares criticise him or think we can do better it’s because of an ulterior motive.

Stevenson is alright and nobody doubts he’ll always give his all, some people just think it’s an area of the team that can be improved on.

What would you criticise Lewis for in particular? My point is why there is an ongoing Lewis thread.

J-C
03-12-2017, 08:59 AM
that’s not tactically rubbish. That’s exactly what Barker should be doing when Stevenson is bombing forward. He doesn’t defend enough in these situations and when Stevenson’s under pressure. That’s a flaw in Barkers game.

Utter nonsense...Barker was the one not doing his defensive duties AGAIN...nothing to do with Lewy at all.

Totally agree and hope it's being worked on as part of Barker's development.

I've mentioned this the last 3-4 games that Barker gives no support to Stevenson defensively, that's the reason St Johnstone and Dundee looked good against Stevenson, he was against 2 men as Barker didn't track back, watch Boyle on the other side putting in a shift to help out his fullback.

Ronniekirk
03-12-2017, 08:59 AM

As they tired he some great runs forward and agree that tackle you mention was immense and shows his desire and best quality
Lennon was getting frustrated in first half with his delivery from out on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
03-12-2017, 09:01 AM
What would you criticise Lewis for in particular? My point is why there is an ongoing Lewis thread.

Because it’s an area I think is only alright where as I think we have a particularly strong central defence, midfield and plenty of cover at right back. We could probably do with another forward too but I don’t see people getting so precious about Simon Murray working so hard and not deserving of being dropped.

Lewis Stevenson is pretty much the only senior natural left back at the club so it makes sense to try and improve the competition there.

J-C
03-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Because it’s an area I think is only alright where as I think we have a particularly strong central defence, midfield and plenty of cover at right back. We could probably do with another forward too but I don’t see people getting so precious about Simon Murray working so hard and not deserving of being dropped.

Lewis Stevenson is pretty much the only senior natural left back at the club so it makes sense to try and improve the competition there.

I don't think there's anyone would disagree that competition for Lewis isn't seen as a negative but the constant criticism about him is OTT, he's a good solid generally dependable full back that would get a game in most SPFL teams outwith the top 3.

GoalsMcGinley
03-12-2017, 09:14 AM
This is what annoys me about the Stevenson debate, when he has a good game (and he has them regularly) to some people he’s the next Roberto carlos. When he has a poorer game he’s the worst thing since pa kujabi. For some reason he really polarises opinion.

Imo he’s alright and if we stick with him it’s not the end of the world but if we genuinely want to move up a level to be competing for 2nd or 3rd I think his is the obvious position to try and improve upon.

2nd paragraph is utter drivel. Have you seen the league table? We ARE challenging for 2nd or 3rd and the wee mans in the team. Have a word.

we are hibs
03-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Stevenson could score a hatrick of own goals in a game and some would still gush over him. He's bang average and we can do better. If people seriously don't think there are better left backs out there than Lewis Stevenson then they are deluded. He's done us a turn, he's steady enough but that's all he is, we can do better.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2017, 09:23 AM
that’s not tactically rubbish. That’s exactly what Barker should be doing when Stevenson is bombing forward. He doesn’t defend enough in these situations and when Stevenson’s under pressure. That’s a flaw in Barkers game.Stevenson shouldn't be bombing forward when we've got a winger on that side, that's the point.

Stevenson was on lennons side 2nd half so if he was doing something wrong tactically he'd have been told fairly quickly. What he was doing was obviously what he's been told to doI'm not going to pretend to know what Lennon had instructed LS to do. All I know is that if we have a winger on that side, Stevenson should stick to defending and allow the attacking player to get forward.

Utter nonsense...Barker was the one not doing his defensive duties AGAIN...nothing to do with Lewy at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkBarker is quite clearly not a LB and is why he looked lost when left to cover that position. I'd prefer our attacking options to stay high up the field. I'm sure Lennon didn't bring him on to defend, his job was to run with the ball.

03-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Stevenson could score a hatrick of own goals in a game and some would still gush over him. He's bang average and we can do better. If people seriously don't think there are better left backs out there than Lewis Stevenson then they are deluded. He's done us a turn, he's steady enough but that's all he is, we can do better.

Where are all these incredible left backs. I can only remember Hibs having about 3 or 4 decent left backs in 30 years.

we are hibs
03-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Where are all these incredible left backs. I can only remember Hibs having about 3 or 4 decent left backs in 30 years.

Not my job to find them, but there's clearly better players we could get than Stevenson.

Nicho87
03-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Is izaguerre not at hibs thought all Celtic cast offs came here.... 👍

bingo70
03-12-2017, 09:37 AM
2nd paragraph is utter drivel. Have you seen the league table? We ARE challenging for 2nd or 3rd and the wee mans in the team. Have a word.

Lol

Got to love a good hibs.net debate.

We’re about 13 or 14 games into the season, I think to continue this challenge to the end of the season we need to look to improve all areas we can. I personally don’t think we could improve on our midfield or central defence on our budget, I don’t think we could justify another right back when we have two very good ones already. On the wings Boyle is having a great season and I like Barker, having Swanson as backbuo is probably sufficient. I think we could probably improve our strike force so left back and an attacker are the two areas I would strengthen.

Hope my opinion is acceptable to you, if not let me know though and I’ll be sure to have a word with myself.

GoalsMcGinley
03-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Lol

We’re about 13 or 14 games into the season, I think to continue this challenge to the end of the season we need to look to improve all areas we can. I personally don’t think we could improve on our midfield or central defence on our budget, I don’t think we could justify another right back when we have two very good ones already. On the wings Boyle is having a great season and I like Barker, having Swanson as backbuo is probably sufficient. I think we could probably improve our strike force so left back and an attacker are the two areas I would strengthen.

Hope my opinion is acceptable to you, if not let me know though and I’ll be sure to have a word with myself.

I’m sure if any of our last 10 managers thought we could do better they’d have signed a left back. Clearly they don’t. I will trust Neil Lennon on this one.

When the wee man eventually leaves/retires he will get the appreciation he deserves no doubt.

snooky
03-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Lewis has been with the club for so long now that he's had his share of good games and bad. You pick your side depending on which of his games your remember best. Personally, I like Lewis and see no need for a new LB.

bingo70
03-12-2017, 10:06 AM
I’m sure if any of our last 10 managers thought we could do better they’d have signed a left back. Clearly they don’t. I will trust Neil Lennon on this one.

When the wee man eventually leaves/retires he will get the appreciation he deserves no doubt.

He only really moved to Left back under Stubbs and he was clearly more than adequate to get us promoted.

‘The wee man’ is very much appreciated now, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t always be looking to improve the team where possible.

Out of interest, if Stevenson gets injured or suspended who plays at left back?

03-12-2017, 10:11 AM
He only really moved to Left back under Stubbs and he was clearly more than adequate to get us promoted.

‘The wee man’ is very much appreciated now, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t always be looking to improve the team where possible.

Out of interest, if Stevenson gets injured or suspended who plays at left back?

Hanlon

bingo70
03-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Hanlon

Not a natural left back and would then mean our central defence and left back positions are weakened.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Lol

I love Lewis, but i can't argue with any of what you said there. If we get someone else in, it could push Lewis on to better?

If the new guy is better, then great its win win.

He does seem to have had no competition at all over the years, and to be honest we have been very lucky he never seems to get injured, and rarely suspended.

Eyrie
03-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Not my job to find them, but there's clearly better players we could get than Stevenson.

There are at least eight other clubs in the top flight, and all thirty below that, who are looking for a left back of Stevenson's ability and consistency.

That tells me that the professionals, whose job it is to identify such a player, are in the same boat as you when it comes to actually naming someone realistic.

indiejak1413
03-12-2017, 12:52 PM
There are at least eight other clubs in the top flight, and all thirty below that, who are looking for a left back of Stevenson's ability and consistency.

That tells me that the professionals, whose job it is to identify such a player, are in the same boat as you when it comes to actually naming someone realistic.What about Callum Crane . On loan at Alloa and probably Stevensons direct replacement.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRHibs
03-12-2017, 12:55 PM
I like both Barker and Stevenson individually, but there’s no synergy between the 2 of them.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Only here. Top 4, unbeaten away, nice win yesterday but we'll get round to discussing the ability of our most consistent performer of over 10 years. Better left backs? There are better everythings out there.

greenlex
03-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Stevenson shouldn't be bombing forward when we've got a winger on that side, that's the point.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Lennon had instructed LS to do. All I know is that if we have a winger on that side, Stevenson should stick to defending and allow the attacking player to get forward.

Barker is quite clearly not a LB and is why he looked lost when left to cover that position. I'd prefer our attacking options to stay high up the field. I'm sure Lennon didn't bring him on to defend, his job was to run with the ball.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk disagree. Have ever played the game? Watch Boyle on the other side. See when Hanlon or Ambrise stroll forward have a look at Bartley and where he positions himself.

Stantons Angel
03-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Is the thread title "Lewis Stevenson" the most frequently used in .net history?

i agree with you there and it is!

In case a lot of you didnt know or understand HIBS were playing yesterday and HIBS won 1-0. It wasnt a particulary good game to watch and a few of our well established players just didnt cut it at all!

As usual i thought Lewis gave his usual 100% to the jersey and put in a lovely cross for the goal (an own goal of not) we finished the game with three more points and in 3rd place in the league.

Something we should have been applauding our players for BUT no the Hibs supporters on here have to find someone to give it tight to and as usual its Lewis!

Lewis is not a flashy show off player he is steady and plays to his limits. whether he plays wing back or left back role you get 100% commitment and dedication from the wee man. If every player gave this you would have no one to complain about at all.

This December will see the team take on a lot of big games throughout and they need our support wholeheartedly, they dont want to be reading rubbish like like this after them actually winning a game.

So for goodness sake get off Lewis's back and get behind the team, your energy would be better used then!

Borderhibbie76
03-12-2017, 01:26 PM
i agree with you there and it is!

In case a lot of you didnt know or understand HIBS were playing yesterday and HIBS won 1-0. It wasnt a particulary good game to watch and a few of our well established players just didnt cut it at all!

As usual i thought Lewis gave his usual 100% to the jersey and put in a lovely cross for the goal (an own goal of not) we finished the game with three more points and in 3rd place in the league.

Something we should have been applauding our players for BUT no the Hibs supporters on here have to find someone to give it tight to and as usual its Lewis!

Lewis is not a flashy show off player he is steady and plays to his limits. whether he plays wing back or left back role you get 100% commitment and dedication from the wee man. If every player gave this you would have no one to complain about at all.

This December will see the team take on a lot of big games throughout and they need our support wholeheartedly, they dont want to be reading rubbish like like this after them actually winning a game.

So for goodness sake get off Lewis's back and get behind the team, your energy would be better used then!Well said just said the same on another thread where some posters are desperate to slag Stokes off. Don't get some on here...we are doing just fine and yet they seem determined to slag players of their own team off at every opportunity. It's just crazy

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Lewis Stevenson seems the ultimate Marmite player.

Some people get awfy precious when the slightest thing is said against him. I get it though as he's a living legend. We could do better tho imo.

theonlywayisup
03-12-2017, 01:39 PM
I've reached the point of realising that there is little to gain trying to discuss the merits, or otherwise, of Lewis Stevenson.

Some are so blinkered one way or another.

I do find it interesting that people can make a statement such as "he's as good as...." or "he's miles better than...." when they've probably only ever seen that player in the opposition team play 180 minutes of football plus some edited highlights, which will be a mix of good / poor moments.

The only person who's opinion matters is Lennon. We'll see if he decides if this is a position worthy of getting someone new in.

Vault Boy
03-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Only here. Top 4, unbeaten away, nice win yesterday but we'll get round to discussing the ability of our most consistent performer of over 10 years. Better left backs? There are better everythings out there.

:top marks

Since90+2
03-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Lewis Stevenson seems the ultimate Marmite player.

Some people get awfy precious when the slightest thing is said against him. I get it though as he's a living legend. We could do better tho imo.

I think most Hibs fans see him as a decent steady player no more no less.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2017, 02:08 PM

If we had Social Media when Benny Brazil was in his pomp we'd be off the scale.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 02:10 PM

The vocal majority on here see him as their child and dare say anything bad you get your baws busted.

There is absolutely no chance any Hibee has an agenda against him, it's the most ridiculous argument ever. Some just feel he isn't as good as some make out or could do better. I see no issue with that.

Sammy7nil
03-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Well said just said the same on another thread where some posters are desperate to slag Stokes off. Don't get some on here...we are doing just fine and yet they seem determined to slag players of their own team off at every opportunity. It's just crazy

I don't think anyone s slagging off Hibs players I think some are suggesting we can improve on whet we have.

theonlywayisup
03-12-2017, 02:15 PM
If we had Social Media when Benny Brazil was in his pomp we'd be off the scale.

Or Super Joe.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Or Super Joe.

Never the club man Benny was! There were better out there :greengrin

03-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Lewis is probably the hardest working player i've ever seen in a hibs jersey. The best player i've ever seen? No. But his commitment to the cause and his effort is above and beyond. Overly crisised and often used as a scapegoat.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Lewis is probably the hardest working player i've ever seen in a hibs jersey. The best player i've ever seen? No. But his commitment to the cause and his effort is above and beyond. Overly crisised and often used as a scapegoat.

Exactly the type of post I was referring to. He's never used as a scapegoat and nobody would have an agenda against him. He's just not the best player ever. As soon as someone raises his weaknesses the replies are always the same.

Blaster
03-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Exactly the type of post I was referring to. He's never used as a scapegoat and nobody would have an agenda against him. He's just not the best player ever. As soon as someone raises his weaknesses the replies are always the same.

But why a Lewis thread every single week? People have differing opinions and that’s fair enough. My view is that I think he is steady but no world beater.

If he had a shocker yesterday then fair enough. Sounds like from most posts that he was one of our better performers though. So why yet another thread about him? I think some people who defend him strongly do so as he seems to be picked out for comment every week regardless of his performance or team results

Hi Heid Yin
03-12-2017, 03:49 PM
The day will come when we will have a new left back, but at this moment in time, Lewis is deservedly our regular left back for his sheer reliability and 100% effort and graft.
Neil Lennon sees Lewis close up on a daily basis on the training ground. Can any of us really say we know better than our own manager?
This said, I'm all for healthy competition in all areas of the pitch and would be happy to see a new player come in to at least challenge Lewis and make him fight even harder for that coveted position.

Deansy
03-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Yes, we could possibly go out and buy a full-back with better/more ability than Lewis Stvenson - but we'd never get one with his ability and attitude !. A player who'll do everything and anything for Hibs -I love the man !

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
But why a Lewis thread every single week? People have differing opinions and that’s fair enough. My view is that I think he is steady but no world beater.

If he had a shocker yesterday then fair enough. Sounds like from most posts that he was one of our better performers though. So why yet another thread about him? I think some people who defend him strongly do so as he seems to be picked out for comment every week regardless of his performance or team results

This thread was about how good he is, second best left back in Scotland etc. There's middle ground he's not pish butnnkt brilliant.

O'Rourke3
03-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Can any of us really say we know better than our own manager?

I'd say most posters most weeks think they are - especially Saturday nights. Friday's nights are great too as everyone describes the team they'd put out.

Stantons Angel
03-12-2017, 04:27 PM

just think back a couple of seasons ago and the posts headed up LEWIS STEVENSON then. They were consistently making him the scapegoat for some really awful team performances. I doubt any one with a football brain would hold a personal agenda against him as over the years there have been many worse players in our teams.

No one has said he is the best player ever(there will never be another Pat Stanton) least of all me though i do see him as being human with weaknesses like us all.

What i dont like is the continual debates on his ability to wear our jersey. Gee whizz, he is the only player in Hibs history to hold medals for both cups in Scotland and the one most constantly criticised

The Replies posted will always be the same in answer as its the same questions and comments being made of him.

As i and other posters on here have stated, we are playing some of our best football for years, sitting now 4th in the league and we are debating how good and bad our most consistent player is?

Remember we have a huge month of games coming up and our team needs us behind them all. Lets use our energy and go support them together!

Hi Heid Yin
03-12-2017, 04:39 PM
I'd say most posters most weeks think they are - especially Saturday nights. Friday's nights are great too as everyone describes the team they'd put out.

:wink:

SideBurns
03-12-2017, 05:59 PM

The reason I started the thread was because, in my opinion, he was the best man on the park yesterday and in the context of another thread asking about the January transfer window where some posters think left back should be a priority. On that thread, I said if we sign a better left back than Lewis we'll have a very good player indeed. Yesterday's display supported my view that he's the second best in that position in the country (well behind Tierney, who is a genuinely special talent). I respect and understand that not everyone shares that view, but interested to hear who those of a different mind think we should be going for (within our budget)?

Blaster
03-12-2017, 06:08 PM
The reason I started the thread was because, in my opinion, he was the best man on the park yesterday and in the context of another thread asking about the January transfer window where some posters think left back should be a priority. On that thread, I said if we sign a better left back than Lewis we'll have a very good player indeed. Yesterday's display supported my view that he's the second best in that position in the country (well behind Tierney, who is a genuinely special talent). I respect and understand that not everyone shares that view, but interested to hear who those of a different mind think we should be going for (within our budget)?

👍

cleanyman
03-12-2017, 06:13 PM
He's okay. That's about it.

Will play well against Partick and the likes but gets shown up regularly against a team with a reasonable winger.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2017, 06:17 PM
He's okay. That's about it.

Will play well against Partick and the likes but gets shown up regularly against a team with a reasonable winger.Like Paddy Roberts who he has done absolutely fine against this season?

1 mistake vs Aberdeen and folk pretend wingers walk past him. Total rubbish. Some of Lewis' best games for Hibs have been against good wingers.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 06:30 PM
just think back a couple of seasons ago and the posts headed up LEWIS STEVENSON then. They were consistently making him the scapegoat for some really awful team performances. I doubt any one with a football brain would hold a personal agenda against him as over the years there have been many worse players in our teams.

No one has said he is the best player ever(there will never be another Pat Stanton) least of all me though i do see him as being human with weaknesses like us all.

What i dont like is the continual debates on his ability to wear our jersey. Gee whizz, he is the only player in Hibs history to hold medals for both cups in Scotland and the one most constantly criticised

The Replies posted will always be the same in answer as its the same questions and comments being made of him.

As i and other posters on here have stated, we are playing some of our best football for years, sitting now 4th in the league and we are debating how good and bad our most consistent player is?

Remember we have a huge month of games coming up and our team needs us behind them all. Lets use our energy and go support them together!

With respect I wasn't here a couple of years ago but he was part of a side that got relegated.

For some he's immune to criticism and I think you fall into that category.

bigwheel
03-12-2017, 07:24 PM
With respect I wasn't here a couple of years ago but he was part of a side that got relegated.

“Part of a Side That got relegated”. What has that got to do with his level Of
performance now ?? Absolutely nothing ....

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Cheap shot.

Michael
03-12-2017, 08:13 PM

If you're painting him with that brush...he's also part of the team that won the League Cup and Scottish Cup. Most successful player for decades.

Conj
03-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Paul Hanlon was also part of the squad that got relegated, albeit him being injured didn't help matters, so does that mean he shouldn't have been called up for Scotland? That's a very poor reason to want to drop Stevenson.

West lower
03-12-2017, 08:40 PM

George Best was part of a Hibs team that got relegated too. Clearly not that good either.

Stantons Angel
03-12-2017, 08:50 PM

With the same respect, what category i fall into is neither here nor their anything to do with his performance or his dedication to the jersey he wears so proudly.

the posts that follow your remark above show how futile your remark is to others too.

you have your opinion and i have mine and we are both entitled to air them. Whether others agree one way or the other does not stop me from defending the player when i feel he is being

unnecessarily criticised or i feel the comments made are unjustified. (BTW i do this with all our players not just Lewis)

You were lucky not to have witnessed that brand of football causing us to be relegated. Your remark that he has not been made scapegoat before will then have no bearing on the subject either.

Yes he was a member of the relegation team, but you tell me who else from that team apart from him and Paul Hanlon are still in a Hibs jersey and is the most successful Hibs player in our

history AND he is one of the history making Scottish Cup Winning side too?

as i keep saying, lets save our energy for supporting our team through a forthcoming hard month of games.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
“Part of a Side That got relegated”. What has that got to do with his level Of
performance now ?? Absolutely nothing ....

Because it was said that historically he's gotten it tight. He was part of a **** side, of course he did.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Cheap shot.

How?

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Paul Hanlon was also part of the squad that got relegated, albeit him being injured didn't help matters, so does that mean he shouldn't have been called up for Scotland? That's a very poor reason to want to drop Stevenson.

I don't want Stevenson dropped ffs. Same old pack hound you when someone isn't part of the love in. I love Lewis, I don't understand why the place turns into mums.net when someone criticises him tho.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
With the same respect, what category i fall into is neither here nor their anything to do with his performance or his dedication to the jersey he wears so proudly.

the posts that follow your remark above show how futile your remark is to others too.

you have your opinion and i have mine and we are both entitled to air them. Whether others agree one way or the other does not stop me from defending the player when i feel he is being

unnecessarily criticised or i feel the comments made are unjustified. (BTW i do this with all our players not just Lewis)

You were lucky not to have witnessed that brand of football causing us to be relegated. Your remark that he has not been made scapegoat before will then have no bearing on the subject either.

Yes he was a member of the relegation team, but you tell me who else from that team apart from him and Paul Hanlon are still in a Hibs jersey and is the most successful Hibs player in our

history AND he is one of the history making Scottish Cup Winning side too?

as i keep saying, lets save our energy for supporting our team through a forthcoming hard month of games.

You where the one that said a couple of seasons ago. My relegated comment was in relation to that.

I did whiteness the brand of football that got us relegated.

Yes he's a Scottish cup winning legend.

I'm still trying to understand your point. I love Lewis Stevenson. His performance in 07 was outstanding and on 21 May nobody was going past him (although the cross for their equaliser was his end I still love him)

No Hibs fan doesn't like Lewis Stevenson. Some like him too much and are blinded when someone says anything against him though l.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
How?

Tarring with same brush.

Managers would look at the circumstances otherwise there’d be attempted mass-clear outs all over the shop. Interestingly Butcher wielded the axe on a grander scale than most - who not only avoided the cut but has been a go-to player for pretty much all managers during his time here (apart from perhaps Calderclown or a bit of Yogis reign - but folks will have seen Yogis praise for him.)

Conj
03-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I don't want Stevenson dropped ffs. Same old pack hound you when someone isn't part of the love in. I love Lewis, I don't understand why the place turns into mums.net when someone criticises him tho.

I don't care when people criticise players, especially not Stevenson, I just thought to say that he was part of the team that was relegated was a strange thing to bring up.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Tarring with same brush.

Managers would look at the circumstances otherwise there’d be attempted mass-clear outs all over the shop. Interestingly Butcher wielded the axe on a grander scale than most - who not only avoided the cut but has been a go-to player for pretty much all managers during his time here (apart from perhaps Calderclown or a bit of Yogis reign - but folks will have seen Yogis praise for him.)

My comment was regarding why he was having negative comments a few years back when I didn't post here. If he's part of a ***** team it's fair game. He was brutal at times in the bad times.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2017, 09:11 PM
I like him as a defender. Dislike how he can never be culpable on here. Find it a wee bit frustrating that he looks like he’s trying to smash the ball 100 metres but it only goes 20/30metres.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I don't care when people criticise players, especially not Stevenson, I just thought to say that he was part of the team that was relegated was a strange thing to bring up.

As above, I was replying to the comment he was getting it right a couple of years back. First Year we played in the championship he was arguably our most consistent player so i thought it was in conjuncture with us going down.

Again, I like sorry love Lewis Stevenson but the minute someone says anything remotely negative the posts hound you.

If people thing he's not good enough for our team fair enough, their opinion. People take it strangely personally though.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:17 PM
I like him as a defender. Dislike how he can never be culpable on here. Find it a wee bit frustrating that he looks like he’s trying to smash the ball 100 metres but it only goes 20/30metres.

That's where I am. He's got miles better at not turning inside at every opportunity mind and because he's forward a lot you have to remind yourself he's a very capable defender and also remind yourself we had Ryan Mcgivern on the other flank not so long ago.

Stantons Angel
03-12-2017, 09:41 PM
You where the one that said a couple of seasons ago. My relegated comment was in relation to that.

I did whiteness the brand of football that got us relegated.

Yes he's a Scottish cup winning legend.

I'm still trying to understand your point. I love Lewis Stevenson. His performance in 07 was outstanding and on 21 May nobody was going past him (although the cross for their equaliser was his end I still love him)

No Hibs fan doesn't like Lewis Stevenson. Some like him too much and are blinded when someone says anything against him though l.

This is getting a wee bitty tiring now....... MY point is that every week we have someone coming on and saying he isnt good enough and yes every week i will support him if i feel he does not deserve such criticism just as i would support any player in our team.

Many could turn around and say the same about other defenders, midfielders or forwards and if they are not playing well then criticism will follow.

Lewis has played under at least 7 managers in his time with Hibs and everyone of them has played him in his team. Lennon is no fool when it comes to wanting his team to do well. He wouldnt play him if he couldnt trust him to turn in a good 90mins of graft. Which he does every time!

the bottom line for me is he has that no 16 jersey on his back on merit and will never let it down. Whether we like love or hate the lad he is a Hibs player so lets get behind him and all of them.

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 09:53 PM
This is getting a wee bitty tiring now....... MY point is that every week we have someone coming on and saying he isnt good enough and yes every week i will support him if i feel he does not deserve such criticism just as i would support any player in our team.

Many could turn around and say the same about other defenders, midfielders or forwards and if they are not playing well then criticism will follow.

Lewis has played under at least 7 managers in his time with Hibs and everyone of them has played him in his team. Lennon is no fool when it comes to wanting his team to do well. He wouldnt play him if he couldnt trust him to turn in a good 90mins of graft. Which he does every time!

the bottom line for me is he has that no 16 jersey on his back on merit and will never let it down. Whether we like love or hate the lad he is a Hibs player so lets get behind him and all of them.

We need more guys like stevenson..hanlon who stay at club to give team a base. New 11 every season a lottery and no disrespect to lewis but hibs his level and we need 4 to 5 guys like that in side to sustain team over time.

Firestarter
03-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Nobody came on and said anything.

The the threads about how he's supposedly the second best left back in the country.

Someone says he isn't it's some kind of agenda. I'm out anyway.

Lewis has two. GGTTH

The Baldmans Comb
03-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Stevenson is a decent steady enough player who has made the very best of his limited talent.

He is tenacious,reliable and solid but offers little going forward as he isn't particularly athletic or quick in either movement or thought.

He is the best we have though and thoroughly deserves his place in the team as well as huge plaudits for his years of service..

Could we do better....god yeah but its about priorities and budgets and whether this is a position that needs strengthening ahead of others.

SideBurns
03-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Stevenson is a decent steady enough player who has made the very best of his limited talent.

He is tenacious,reliable and solid but offers little going forward as he isn't particularly athletic or quick in either movement or thought.

He is the best we have though and thoroughly deserves his place in the team as well as huge plaudits for his years of service..

Could we do better....god yeah but its about priorities and budgets and whether this is a position that needs strengthening ahead of others.

I actually agree that his ability is limited in that his crossing, generally, is poor and that is a major source of frustration when he gets so much of the ball high up on the wing. However, his other attributes overshadow this obvious flaw in his game; he is quick, has great control, a terrific attitude, decent in the air for his height, and - something possibly overlooked because he comes across as a nice, quiet lad - hard as nails. If he started throwing in crosses on a regular basis like the one which produced the goal yesterday he would be some player!

pacorosssco
03-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Stevenson gripes are a show of progress. If some think not good enough and can get better then remember when we had 11 guys who were crap. Two medals gives all. Could get better but had much worse. As a club we need guys who are at best level hibs so we can keep high level. Very good players leave we need solid players who also stay

bigwheel
03-12-2017, 10:52 PM
That's where I am. He's got miles better at not turning inside at every opportunity mind and because he's forward a lot you have to remind yourself he's a very capable defender and also remind yourself we had Ryan Mcgivern on the other flank not so long ago.

I can recall McGivern playing left back and centre back...as far as I recall he wasn't on the "other" flank.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Stevenson shouldn't be bombing forward when we've got a winger on that side, that's the point.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Lennon had instructed LS to do. All I know is that if we have a winger on that side, Stevenson should stick to defending and allow the attacking player to get forward.

Barker is quite clearly not a LB and is why he looked lost when left to cover that position. I'd prefer our attacking options to stay high up the field. I'm sure Lennon didn't bring him on to defend, his job was to run with the ball.

The point about pushing the LB on is that he creates an overload on that side and that can open up chances. Barker doesn't necessarily need to drop back - a centre mid could move over, or a centre half in a back three.

The other thing is that Lewis has pace and touch - I'm minded of the 4-0 game against Rangers a few seasons ago, where he pushed up and made a major contribution to the result.

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2017, 12:19 AM

I think he's one of the fastest players in the team and he is certainly the best in off-the-ball movement to show for the pass.

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Or Super Joe.

The East bordered on civil war at times with Super Joe. Mostly abuse being counteracted with his song, but I recall at least one fight!

ajf
04-12-2017, 05:33 AM
I can recall McGivern playing left back and centre back...as far as I recall he wasn't on the "other" flank.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't Stevenson play right back while mcgivern played left , I could be wrong tho.

we are hibs
04-12-2017, 05:53 AM
Didn't Stevenson play right back while mcgivern played left , I could be wrong tho.

Fenlon played him right back at the start of the season we went down. Think it started when Fraser Mullen got subbed during the 7-0 against Malmö

Ryan69
04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Should the goal on Saturday not be officially awarded to him?

As the rules of the game go...it should!

Shot was in target...then defender headed it in.

cleanyman
04-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Like Paddy Roberts who he has done absolutely fine against this season?

1 mistake vs Aberdeen and folk pretend wingers walk past him. Total rubbish. Some of Lewis' best games for Hibs have been against good wingers.

Roberts has been stinking all season.

What good wingers ?

Halmyre Hibee
12-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Bumped into Lewis at M&S Gyle today as he was pushing his kid in the pram. Had his Hibs gear on and such a lovely guy to talk to. My favourite Hibs player of recent times.

KDY Hibs
12-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend.

steelendhibs
12-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend.

Absolutely this. He should have a playing contract at hibs for as long as he is able to play. I hope he is still playing when he is 34 to 35. Fantastic professional and made the best of his abilities

My_Wife_Camille
12-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Roberts has been stinking all season.

What good wingers ?
Mackay Steven, McKay, O'Halloran, Forrest, Nicholson.

Not all necessarily this season but I can think of games where each of these players have either been moved to the other side of the park or subbed because they've not managed to get a sniff out of Lewis.

And whoever said he is slow and not athletic is at it.

jakedance
12-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Winds me up when people say Lewis has made the best of limited talent. He passes well, reads the game, can time a tackle and he’s got a good first touch. He’s got plenty talent, backed up by an excellent attitude towards his profession and employers. He’s weaker going forward and his crossing isn’t a strength but he’s there to defend and rarely gets the piss taken out of him.

I’m all for Hibs signing a better player for his position but I also hope Lewis finishes his career at Hibs.

Diclonius
12-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Jose Mourinho's quote about Paulo Ferreira, former Chelsea left back, is always one I've felt applied to Lewis.

"He is a player who will never be Man of the Match but will always score 7/10 for his individual display."

jakedance
12-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Jose Mourinho's quote about Paulo Ferreira, former Chelsea left back, is always one I've felt applied to Lewis.

"He is a player who will never be Man of the Match but will always score 7/10 for his individual display."

Absolutely. You need guys like Lewis that you can rely on.

Brightside
12-12-2017, 10:51 PM
I think he's one of the fastest players in the team and he is certainly the best in off-the-ball movement to show for the pass.

Correct - why else would he be the player asked to mark the opposition striker on the half way line when we have a corner.

truehibernian
12-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Lewis on Sunday reminded me of Tynecastle at 2-1 down - led by example and got himself on the ball and up the pitch.

At Tynie he got the ball, started a move, Stokes I think played him in, and he got a shot away in the box - which got the crowd going. On Sunday he played possession well, made an intelligent run, Stokes to his credit found him well, and he played in Shaw. Might have also got it wrong but at 2-2 on Sunday, Lewy managed to bring down the ball near the touchline, under pressure, and very neatly turn his marker and start the move which saw the Oli chance at the end.

Can't remember Forrest getting any change whatsoever from Lewis - I'll happily have a 'liability' like Lewy any day of the week - first name on the team sheet, always :aok:.

Hibs1969
13-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else has already written elsewhere on this thread, but never a month goes by without someone coming on here criticising Lewis Stevenson. I'm not saying he doesn't have off days, but who doesn't? The guy has been a mainstay of our club for over a decade, and every manager from Mowbray onwards without exception has rated him enough to play him regularly, which speaks volumes for his professionalism, dedication, fitness and ability. He may not be the flashiest player or the biggest name, but Lewis is the absolute definition of a team player. He is a Hibernian cup winning legend who has stuck with the club through some horrendous times and was there on the field on the greatest day in our history. I can't praise him highly enough.

My_Wife_Camille
13-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Might have also got it wrong but at 2-2 on Sunday, Lewy managed to bring down the ball near the touchline, under pressure, and very neatly turn his marker and start the move which saw the Oli chance at the end
Nope, I remember it too. Brought it down on his chest and did a Cruyff turn type of thing under pressure from the big Celtic striker and passed it on. Quality stuff

lyonhibs
13-12-2017, 04:14 AM
Lewis on Sunday reminded me of Tynecastle at 2-1 down - led by example and got himself on the ball and up the pitch.

At Tynie he got the ball, started a move, Stokes I think played him in, and he got a shot away in the box - which got the crowd going. On Sunday he played possession well, made an intelligent run, Stokes to his credit found him well, and he played in Shaw. Might have also got it wrong but at 2-2 on Sunday, Lewy managed to bring down the ball near the touchline, under pressure, and very neatly turn his marker and start the move which saw the Oli chance at the end.

Can't remember Forrest getting any change whatsoever from Lewis - I'll happily have a 'liability' like Lewy any day of the week - first name on the team sheet, always :aok:.

I honestly forgot Forrest was playing 2nd half until he got subbed. I was however fully aware that Sinclair was playing.

LS has been a regular for around a decade. If a better LB out there had been available and in budget in that time, we'd have signed him.

We haven't and Lewis is now the only Hibs player EVER to win both Cups. That more or less settles any debate on him tbh for me.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Correct - why else would he be the player asked to mark the opposition striker on the half way line when we have a corner.

I always thought it was for various reasons: lack of goal threat, lack of height and best defender? Marv is similar (excluding height).

Shrekko
13-12-2017, 08:38 AM
I’m watching Martin Boyle roasting left backs virtually every week these days, yet Lewis never seems to have anyone get the better of him over 90 minutes.

Also don’t get this ‘limited player’ thing either - defends well, brilliant tackler, tidy passer, quick, great first touch... I could go on. His crossing isn’t great at all but then again SJM’s crosses aren’t always that great... everyone has weaknesses.

bingo70
13-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I always thought it was for various reasons: lack of goal threat, lack of height and best defender? Marv is similar (excluding height).

You're a brave man, answering that question on this thread.

What do you mean lack of height? He's a legend, gives his all every game, why always Lewis etc.....

lyonhibs
13-12-2017, 02:29 PM
You're a brave man, answering that question on this thread.

What do you mean lack of height? He's a legend, gives his all every game, why always Lewis etc.....

He's short, doesn't score that many but he's pretty rapid and one of our best defenders.

Makes sense to me why he's often last man back for our attacking corners.

Not too sure what your last sentence is getting at.

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 03:32 PM

I think that's true - I'm fairly confident Ashley Cole went across to the centre circle when at Arsenal and it would be for all those reasons - almost certainly quickest defender, great at tackling on the chase, wasn't one for scoring too many goals and it let the big guns at centre-half go up and cause a ruckus in the opposition box.

The mobility is probably the key thing - he would be able to move from the middle to either flank expiditely, if required.

Cole must look back on his career with regret though, never won both the Scottish and League Cups with the Hibs :cb

Unseen work
13-12-2017, 03:50 PM
I’m a massive fan of Lewy and am astounded at some of the criticism he gets.

On Sunday late it the game he drove forward into the opposition penalty box and got a fantastic assist against the league champions.

if you consider his crossing/chances created against most other left backs in the league I think you would be surprised

He is always an outlet for us and very very rarely does he lose possession

I saw someone mention that because barker plays Infront of him Stevenson shouldn’t go forward? I completely disagree, in games where teams defend against us a off the ball run from Stevenson can drag a defender away and open up space for his team mate. Which he often does.

He is hard as nails and very rarely gets roasted for a game.

He is also a club legend.

Hibernian Verse
13-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Especially in the back four

BSEJVT
13-12-2017, 04:18 PM
I think the simple truth is that once folk form an opinion of a player, particularly if part of that opinion is negative then its very difficult for them to see past it objectively or focus on the players other attributes that outweigh the negative they focus on.

You hear the same old chestnuts brought out against players often some dating back several years and that the players have long since overcome, but mud sticks.

Without trying too hard you could easily pick virtually every player on virtually every team in the land's team sheet and relate something negative you had seen or read about in them.

I haven't always been Lewis's biggest fan, but if you are able to look at what he does objectively and what he has given the club then its far easier to accept his supposed "shortcomings" as they are far outweighed by his abilities.

If he didn't have any "shortcoming", he wouldn't be at Hibs or in Scotland.

I would instinctively view his crossing as limited but I am not sure that stands up to scrutiny, is it worse than anyone else in the team, Barker for example whose role that is?

Gray or Whittaker?

Look back at the goals in our Scottish Cup winning journey.

Off the top of my head I can count the 2 at Raith and one at Inverness as his assists

Not bad going.

IlDiavola
13-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Bumped into Lewis at M&S Gyle today as he was pushing his kid in the pram. Had his Hibs gear on and such a lovely guy to talk to. My favourite Hibs player of recent times.

I think Lewis is as good a left back as we could have wished for but, do professional footballers really have to wear the 'gear' when going shopping with their family?

Not for me this type of thing I'm afraid.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-12-2017, 04:25 PM
It’s just not possible to be objective when discussing football online discuss..

JimBHibees
13-12-2017, 04:29 PM
I think Lewis is as good a left back as we could have wished for but, do professional footballers really have to wear the 'gear' when going shopping with their family?

:faf::faf:

You know what it is like at Christmas the guy was probably gagging to get home and crash on the couch but the boss no doubt encouraged :greengrin him to go shopping instead. :greengrin

HoboHarry
13-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Maybe the scoundrel should be paraded outside at East Mains and soundly thrashed......

:rolleyes:

RoYO!
13-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Imagine being a Stevenson hater and Hibs fan?!?

How miserable would that be! ;)

Love the guy and everything he represents.

IlDiavola
13-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Maybe the scoundrel should be paraded outside at East Mains and soundly thrashed......

:rolleyes:

:greengrin

You know what I mean though?

Halmyre Hibee
13-12-2017, 05:09 PM

I found it strange with the Hibs gear on but he said to me he was away to meet up at the team hotel. I seen him on his own in the car park when going out without kid so maybe passing over to wife? Normal family guy as well as Hibs legend.

IlDiavola
13-12-2017, 05:13 PM
I found it strange with the Hibs gear on but he said to me he was away to meet up at the team hotel. I seen him on his own in the car park when going out without kid so maybe passing over to wife? Normal family guy as well as Hibs legend.

Aye, fair enough then mate :aok:

Firestarter
13-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Imagine being a Stevenson hater and Hibs fan?!?

How miserable would that be! ;)

Love the guy and everything he represents.

There's absolutely no chance any Hibee hates Lewis Stevenson.

Big L
13-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I think some fans tend to forget that Lewis is actually a midfielder. Who, when he last played in that position was the supporters players of the season.

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 05:51 PM
I think the simple truth is that once folk form an opinion of a player, particularly if part of that opinion is negative then its very difficult for them to see past it objectively or focus on the players other attributes that outweigh the negative they focus on.

You hear the same old chestnuts brought out against players often some dating back several years and that the players have long since overcome, but mud sticks.

Without trying too hard you could easily pick virtually every player on virtually every team in the land's team sheet and relate something negative you had seen or read about in them.

I haven't always been Lewis's biggest fan, but if you are able to look at what he does objectively and what he has given the club then its far easier to accept his supposed "shortcomings" as they are far outweighed by his abilities.

If he didn't have any "shortcoming", he wouldn't be at Hibs or in Scotland.

I would instinctively view his crossing as limited but I am not sure that stands up to scrutiny, is it worse than anyone else in the team, Barker for example whose role that is?

Gray or Whittaker?

Look back at the goals in our Scottish Cup winning journey.

Off the top of my head I can count the 2 at Raith and one at Inverness as his assists

Not bad going.

He's taken flak for hitting the first defender too often. I have a suspicion he is merely trying to do what he is coached to do, namely try and hit it in, with pace, towards the near post.

As has been discussed on other threads, it's a percentage tactic that many, many coaches use. If the defence are positioned effectively then a defender will cut it out more often than not, but if an attacker gets to it then the chance of scoring is higher than from some lofted ball into the middle or further back.

The ball into the centre, if picked up by the defence, also leaves the attacking team more vulnerable to the counter-attack.

He has generally delivered the same kind of cross for most of his career, under however many different coaches, so it doesn't sound like he is being asked to do differently. If he was then he would - he's a very disciplined player. As I say I reckon it's just about percentages, the first defender being in the right place and occasionally perhaps us not having the right movement and positioning in the middle.

The Modfather
13-12-2017, 06:06 PM
He's taken flak for hitting the first defender too often. I have a suspicion he is merely trying to do what he is coached to do, namely try and hit it in, with pace, towards the near post.

As has been discussed on other threads, it's a percentage tactic that many, many coaches use. If the defence are positioned effectively then a defender will cut it out more often than not, but if an attacker gets to it then the chance of scoring is higher than from some lofted ball into the middle or further back.

The ball into the centre, if picked up by the defence, also leaves the attacking team more vulnerable to the counter-attack.

He has generally delivered the same kind of cross for most of his career, under however many different coaches, so it doesn't sound like he is being asked to do differently. If he was then he would - he's a very disciplined player. As I say I reckon it's just about percentages, the first defender being in the right place and occasionally perhaps us not having the right movement and positioning in the middle.

Come on now, he has lots of admirable qualities but let’s call a spade a spade. His crossing is generally poor, but if played correctly, I.E as a defensive left back he can leave the crossing to others.

J-C
13-12-2017, 06:06 PM
I think some fans tend to forget that Lewis is actually a midfielder. Who, when he last played in that position was the supporters players of the season.

Very true, in the 2007 cup final he and Murphy complimented each other superbly, he covered when Murphy burst forward down the wing.

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
THE.MAN.IS.A.GOD :flag:

OxoHibby
13-12-2017, 09:02 PM

😀😁😀😁😀

guthrie01
13-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Was unbelievably good tonight, my MOTM by a mile

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 09:08 PM
😀😁😀😁😀

:greengrin

Despite the fantastic-ness of him setting up Murray down the wing, then embarking on a run from the halfway line to be on the receiving end to score, his finest moment was in the second half when he had to run as fast as he could from a standing start to stop the ball going out - it was only around five yards, but one of those ones that really kills the thigh muscles. Needless to say he made it and fed the attack, which ultimately petered out on the right.

Sergey
13-12-2017, 09:08 PM

He's not, unfortunately.

YMMV

Bishop Hibee
13-12-2017, 09:09 PM
He was excellent tonight. Second only to Boyle.

MartinfaePorty
13-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Was excellent tonight. Seems to be one of those players that doesn't need to have competition to put in an excellent performance each week.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
13-12-2017, 09:15 PM
He's not, unfortunately.

YMMV

In a respect you're possibly right - it's a bit of a theological debate about whether you can be both a man and a god and certainly contributed to the Great Schism between Western and Eastern Christianity.

Lewis's views on this are yet to be ascertained.

hibee_girl
13-12-2017, 09:15 PM
The one night I don’t put £1 on him scoring!! 🙈😂

CMac1988
13-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Had a good game tonight and always glad to see him get on the scoresheet. Bit of fortune but sometimes you need that.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Can you imagine the stick Lewis would be getting if he'd been turned into a corkscrew like Hanlon for the 2nd goal?

dp00
13-12-2017, 09:49 PM
He was my man of the match