PDA

View Full Version : Worst top flight side you've seen?

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Okay, before anyone says Butcher's Hibs side (shudders) which sides would you say are contenders for the worst SPL/old Division One team you've seen?

As I kid, I remember a Hamilton Accies side of the late eighties (possibly 1988-89?) that was abysmal. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure they only won a couple of games all season. Anyone remember that team?

What other truly awful sides has there been?

theonlywayisup
01-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Okay, before anyone says Butcher's Hibs side (shudders) which sides would you say are contenders for the worst SPL/old Division One team you've seen?

As I kid, I remember a Hamilton Accies side of the late eighties (possibly 1988-89?) that was abysmal. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure they only won a couple of games all season. Anyone remember that team?

Cathro's Hertz team

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Cathro's Hertz team

Garbage, but not the worst ever. Pains me to say it, but they would have beaten Butcher's Hibs.

JJP
01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Gretna. Didn’t they only pick up like 9 points one season?

beensaidbefore
01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

I can remember they were in the 1989 panini sticker book so might be a way to find their team line up. I can just about recall the whole Hibs team though from that book and recall that John Collins was the young player of the year, which featured one page with Paul McStay as player of the year and the same for the English did 1. Imagine us sharing a sticker book with epl now. Can't see it somehow.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Did they? After their financial collapse? I vaguely reminder their having a terrible time in the SPL, but can't remember exactly.

lord bunberry
01-12-2017, 05:50 PM

I think they had a points deduction.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:50 PM
I can remember they were in the 1989 panini sticker book so might be a way to find their team line up. I can just about recall the whole Hibs team though from that book and recall that John Collins was the young player of the year, which featured one page with Paul McStay as player of the year and the same for the English did 1. Imagine us sharing a sticker book with epl now. Can't see it somehow.

I used to love the Panini books. Buying the packs (10p per pack) and the anticipation of opening them. The silver club crest and trophy badges shining like the golden ticket in a Wonka bar :greengrin. Mind the world cup yins anaw? Swaps at school. Great memories.

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
What about that Hertz team under that clown Malofeev?

beensaidbefore
01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
I used to love the Panini books. Buying the packs (10p per pack) and the anticipation of opening them. The silver club crest and trophy badges shining like the golden ticket in a Wonka bar :greengrin. Mind the world cup yins anaw?

Good times. I remember the world cup ones wig the crap teams like Iran only getting half stickers with 2 faves on each. Maybe just made that up. I'm sure the 86 book may have combined Scots Prem,English div 1 and world cup,and orange cover iirc. Could be merging the two though🤔

Also, did you once get mints in beside the English stickers, I seem to remember that for some reason.

WeeRussell
01-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Garbage, but not the worst ever. Pains me to say it, but they would have beaten Butcher's Hibs.

That’s a close one.

hibbytam
01-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Did they? After their financial collapse? I vaguely reminder their having a terrible time in the SPL, but can't remember exactly.

Their wikipedia entry is a good reminder of their many problems that season, but it finishes on this particularly high note:

"They won their final SPL game, a home match against Hearts 1–0 with a goal from Gavin Skelton, which meant they finished the season with 13 points, narrowly avoiding setting a record low points total for the Scottish top-flight."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretna_F.C.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Good times. I remember the world cup ones wig the crap teams like Iran only getting half stickers with 2 faves on each. Maybe just made that up. I'm sure the 86 book may have combined Scots Prem,English div 1 and world cup,and orange cover iirc. Could be merging the two though🤔

Also, did you once get mints in beside the English stickers, I seem to remember that for some reason.

I'm sure the Scottish sides (or at least some of them) also only used to get half stickers for each player. I'm sure I remember the likes of Morton and Dumbarton getting the wee half sticker per player.

Callum7
01-12-2017, 06:04 PM
The worst a team has ever down was in the 1896-97 season where Abercorn only picked up 3 points and a -67 goal difference.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 06:05 PM
The worst a team has ever down was in the 1896-97 season where Abercorn only picked up 3 points and a -67 goal difference.

You didn't see them :wink::greengrin

Callum7
01-12-2017, 06:06 PM
You didn't see them :wink::greengrin

You don’t know my age.:wink:

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 06:07 PM
You don’t know my age.:wink:

I'm guessing you're under 130

Callum7
01-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm guessing you're under 130

136 actually. I was 15. We lost out on the league to hearts by 2 points that season. This was back when a win was only worth 2 points.

Diclonius
01-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Gretna. Should never have been there in the first place.

Dundee in 2012-13 were pretty bad too.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 06:16 PM
136 actually. I was 15. We lost out on the league to hearts by 2 points that season. This was back when a win was only worth 2 points.

There's no need to bring that up :greengrin

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm sure the Scottish sides (or at least some of them) also only used to get half stickers for each player. I'm sure I remember the likes of Morton and Dumbarton getting the wee half sticker per player.

Aye, but Ian Wallace and Andy Richie?

No wonder :rolleyes::wink:

Sir David Gray
01-12-2017, 06:20 PM
The 2013/14 Hibs team from January-May would take some beating (pardon the pun).

It was frightening how bad we were for those last few months of the season.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Don't know, but they still managed to gub hearts in their last ever game.

Answer for me is Dunfermline the year we can second bottom. Man they where pish. In fact they where worse under Stephen Kenny. Live where brutal when we hammered them 7-0 too.was lambert the manager? FreeIng cold midweek match.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 06:26 PM
The 2013/14 Hibs team from January-May would take some beating (pardon the pun).

Yes, the run of form that saw us drop into the play off place was disgusting. We should never have been put in that position. My first ST was a child ticket in 1990, but, if Butcher had, by some miracle kept his job, I wouldn't have renewed. It would have been the last straw. It's still hard to believe it actually happened.

beensaidbefore
01-12-2017, 06:28 PM

I can't remember those teams but probably the case. I seem to recall Aberdeen managers being a half sticker with Alex Smith and Willie Miller? We're they ever joint managers of the sheep?

givescotlandfreedom
01-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Gretna were honking but they took a few points off Hearts.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Gretna were honking but they took a few points off Hearts.

Yantorno was amazing for them, got injured, career over. Very nice guy too. I think he scored against us at ER also. I was delighted when we signed him.

iwasthere1972
01-12-2017, 06:46 PM

To think I probably went to most of these games as well including an evening kick off up at Dingwall when we lost 1-0. We were shocking. Couldn't string two passes. We've come a long way in a few years

Sir David Gray
01-12-2017, 06:50 PM
To think I probably went to most of these games as well including an evening kick off up at Dingwall when we lost 1-0. We were shocking. Couldn't string two passes. We've come a long way in a few years

We are literally unrecognisable as a club both on and off the pitch to the team that went down.

The transformation has been outstanding.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Massive progress in a relatively short time and despite three years in the Championship. The Butcher months were an abomination.

Bishop Hibee
01-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Morton 87/88 were awful. Don’t think they’ve played in the top league since.

lord bunberry
01-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Morton 87/88 were awful. Don’t think they’ve played in the top league since.
I remember Andy Gorman scoring against them in the last game of the season. Probably summed up their season.

emerald green
01-12-2017, 07:37 PM
The Hearts yo-yo teams of the late 1970s (relegated 3 times in 5 seasons IIRC) were truly awful. It was great to see though.

G B Young
01-12-2017, 07:50 PM

I'm not sure about that. I think had Cathro been given a full season with Hearts he would have taken them down. Cathro's spineless side MIGHT have beaten the Butcher side of late January 2014 onwards, but prior to that there were actually signs Butcher was improving us (hard as that is to believe now).

AgentDaleCooper
01-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Was it not the st mirren team of 2000/01 that had the worst points record?

G B Young
01-12-2017, 07:56 PM

The Hamilton side of 86/87 got beaten pretty much every week, but I recall they sprung a shock win at Easter Road and an even bigger shock when they knocked Rangers out the Scottish Cup at Ibrox in what was Souness's first season. Adrian Sprott scored the only goal IIRC!

A couple of seasons before that the St Johnstone side of 1983/84 were pretty dismal. We beat them 4-1 at ER in the game which saw Bobby Thomson suspended for about six months for pushing a linesman. All but ended his career.

monktonharp
01-12-2017, 08:01 PM
I can remember they were in the 1989 panini sticker book so might be a way to find their team line up. I can just about recall the whole Hibs team though from that book and recall that John Collins was the young player of the year, which featured one page with Paul McStay as player of the year and the same for the English did 1. Imagine us sharing a sticker book with epl now. Can't see it somehow.even if their foreign players were not in it? :wink: just disgusts me what weekly wage some of them are on, but that's an auld argument and I will shut the **** up about it:na na:

basehibby
01-12-2017, 08:09 PM

:agree: We were utterly abysmal that season - even still though - it's hard to grasp just how much of a pigs ear they had to make of it under Butcher to actually get relegated. I would not have believed it possible at the turn of the year as we looked safe mid-table.

What made it even harder to bear though was the fact of Hearts also getting relegated (we were laughing at them all season remember?) with Rangers' simultaneous arrival in the Championship after their jaunt in the lower leagues. It should have been a case of us making hay while the sun shone with two of our greatest rivals out of the picture, but we managed to **** things up in the most cringeable manner while simultaneously making recovery as difficult for ourselves as it's possible to imagine!

However, that same team under Fenlon, although pedestrian in the extreme and including some utter donkeys, didn't look anything like relegation contenders - which goes to show that the manager - Butcher - rather than the team has got to go down as one of the worst ever to grace the SPL.

Mibbes Aye
01-12-2017, 08:15 PM

There were at least a couple of years where the Scottish teams were half-stickers and the English First Division (equivalent of the Premier League now) were full-size.

Things that stick in the mind were the very bad hairdos - just downright bad, for the Scottish players, whereas there was a preponderance of bubble perms amongst the English players. And being pre-Bosman the teams were very much British Isles - most English clubs had a few Scots, with the odd Welshman or Irish player. And the English teams had black players, unlike the Scottish teams. It probably took until the late eighties before that started to become more common in Scotland

ekhibee
02-12-2017, 03:07 AM
Didn't they beat Hearts twice that season?

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 01:23 PM
I used to love the Panini books. Buying the packs (10p per pack) and the anticipation of opening them. The silver club crest and trophy badges shining like the golden ticket in a Wonka bar :greengrin. Mind the world cup yins anaw? Swaps at school. Great memories.

I remember a particularly poor one for the 78 or 82 World Cup, you had to wipe the back of the stickers with a damp cloth before putting them in the book, happy days though.

--------
02-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Hibs in season 1979-80 must be candidates. 18 points, relegation, 6 League wins and 24 defeats, and not even the arrival of George Best just before Christmas could turn them around.

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2017, 02:46 PM
I don't know if you could call them the worst .... but the 85/86 Hearts team were almost certainly responsible for the passback rule being changed, I don't think I have ever seen a team that passed back to the keeper as much as they did.

Cabbage East
02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Anyone remember an abysmal team we played in the intertoto during a torrential downpour? Left back was at least 50 with comedy hair. They were brutal.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Anyone remember an abysmal team we played in the intertoto during a torrential downpour? Left back was at least 50 with comedy hair. They were brutal.

Vetra Vilnius, they put us out. Magic trip though.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
I think I'm watching them on Alba right now.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Dinaburg, beat them 5-0 in a monsoon, should have been a lot more.

02-12-2017, 06:53 PM

That was a strange wee away tour also.

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 06:57 PM
That was one of the most bizarre games I’ve ever been at. I think it might have been Tony Mowbray’s first game. The pitch was practically flooded. I remember being in the four in hand before it and being absolutely shocked to hear the game was on.

stokesmessiah
02-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Yantorno was amazing for them, got injured, career over. Very nice guy too. I think he scored against us at ER also. I was delighted when we signed him.

Still playing in Uruguay!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 07:47 PM

It wasnae.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 07:50 PM
It wasnae.

?

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 07:55 PM
?
It was Vetra Vilnius . Dinaburg was the next season, I’m sure we lost to Elfsberg in the next round.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 08:01 PM
We played Vetra as well, in two close games. The dire team we played in a summer monsoon was Dinaburg 100%, I got back from holiday that day and went straight there after dumping cases.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/5133742.stm

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 08:09 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/5133742.stm
It was raining that day, but the rain was much worse against vetra
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3862893.stm

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Correct.

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-12-2017, 08:18 PM
I don't know if you could call them the worst .... but the 85/86 Hearts team were almost certainly responsible for the passback rule being changed, I don't think I have ever seen a team that passed back to the keeper as much as they did.

It was obviously effective. They won the league that year.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-12-2017, 08:20 PM

It may have been, but Vetra were certainly not 'abysmal' or 'brutal' (they put us out). Unlike the team described by Cabbage East which must have been Dinaburg.

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 08:36 PM
It may have been, but Vetra were certainly not 'abysmal' or 'brutal' (they put us out). Unlike the team described by Cabbage East which must have been Dinaburg.
Yes they weren’t a bad side. I think the two games have been mixed up in people’s minds.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Yes they weren’t a bad side. I think the two games have been mixed up in people’s minds.

They were a bad side even though they beat us, the young laddie in goal for us (his name escapes me as I proceed to get bevvied)(Might've been Murdoch) made a howler of a mistake for the deciding goal of the tie.

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 08:48 PM
They were a bad side even though they beat us, the young laddie in goal for us (his name escapes me as I proceed to get bevvied)(Might've been Murdoch) made a howler of a mistake for the deciding goal of the tie.
They weren’t as bad as dinaburg though. The first game against Vetra was a farce in those conditions. Was it McNeil in goals?

Scouse Hibee
02-12-2017, 09:33 PM

Ali Brown was in goal I think.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Ali Brown was in goal I think.

Correct, he was.

Dinaburg Daugavpils were one of the worst teams I've ever seen at Easter Road, they would have struggled to have beaten a Scottish League Two side.