PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown says players need protection from fans throwing coins

theonlywayisup
01-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Wonder if they would have reported if it had been Celtic fans doing the throwing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42185379

Still have never forgiven Celtic fans for the CS Gas cannister throwing at Easter Road.

Mikey
01-12-2017, 07:55 AM
He's right.

The gas cannister was thrown by one person.

Bostonhibby
01-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Wonder if they would have reported if it had been Celtic fans doing the throwing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42185379

Still have never forgiven Celtic fans for the CS Gas cannister throwing at Easter Road.

Hopefully he'll extend his complaint to protecting fans from being showered by coins as well, Ibrox is the worst by some way. If only the huns had thrown the same volume of coins that they do at the Hibs fans at their previous directors instead they could have saved their club instead of walking away.

Halmyre Hibee
01-12-2017, 09:19 AM
While 2 wrongs do not make a right

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1403442-motherwell-accuse-celtic-fans-of-vandalising-fir-park/

seanshow
01-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Scott Brown says players need protection from fans throwing coins.

What about players throwing bodies, especially in the penalty box.

matty_f
01-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Hugh Dallas agrees with him.

McSwanky
01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Wondering if this thread should be renamed to the 'whataboutery' thread...

Whether you think Celtic fans have done worse or not, he has a point. No footballer should have to put up with stuff getting chucked at them while they're doing their job.

spike220
01-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Whether you think Celtic fans have done worse or not, he has a point. No footballer should have to put up with stuff getting chucked at them while they're doing their job.

We don't have that issue in Edinburgh. I know in Glasgow they throw coins, but Edinburgh it is much more upmarket, here they throw notes or to take the work out of it the club will even set up a direct debit. Scott never would of had this issue if he stayed put.

Smartie
01-12-2017, 11:18 AM

I totally agree.

It's basically an assault and it shouldn't happen irrespective of what Celtic fans have done in the past, what songs people sing, or whether or not players dive.

ajf
01-12-2017, 11:21 AM
We don't have that issue in Edinburgh. I know in Glasgow they throw coins, but Edinburgh it is much more upmarket, here they throw notes or to take the work out of it the club will even set up a direct debit. Scott never would of had this issue if he stayed put.

:top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Will get serious when someone throws soap.

To be serious however, someone will get really hurt if this continues.

The cynic in me says that his has come out to deflect from the iffy penalties they are getting and also I would take issue with his comment that anything sung or said from the terraces is ok.

WeeRussell
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM

The cynic in me says that his has come out to deflect from the iffy penalties they are getting and also I would take issue with his comment that anything sung or said from the terraces is ok.

:agree: .. And the claim that it's because they are on a good run.

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
They throw coins in Glasgow because they don't buy anything and don't need them. Every telly in Glasgow has been passed out of a window at some point......

greenlex
01-12-2017, 01:39 PM
They’re also needing protected from fellow pros.

SirDavidsNapper
01-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Spot on.

Kojock
01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
I totally agree.

It's basically an assault and it shouldn't happen irrespective of what Celtic fans have done in the past, what songs people sing, or whether or not players dive.

Throwing a coin at someone even though it misses it's intended target is still an assault. Would imagine the courts would take a dim view of this type of offence.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-12-2017, 03:41 PM
I remember a derby at Tynie in the late 80s when JC went to take a corner he got completely showered in a rain of coins. Even had to stand to one side ref did nothing. Like the pro he was carried on.

We were no saints either but I cannot remember seeing a single incident as bad as that. We’re not talking 1 or 2 we’re taking a fair amount shimmering in the floodlights...

eastcoasthibby
01-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Wasn't aware it was much of an issue ! I think the greater need is for players to get protection from referees for the physical assaults on a few of them every week !

silverhibee
01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
They’re also needing protected from fellow pros.

I'm sure our referees will oblige and hand out a few red cards to opposing teams when they play Celtc, and Brown will get away with murder as usual.

Lago
01-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Correct

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Throwing coins at footballers is just wrong.

Keith_M
01-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Throwing coins at footballers is just wrong.

:agree:

They've got enough money as it is.

monktonharp
01-12-2017, 08:27 PM
some posts are purely banter, and a bit funny but...........remember the midweek match v THE Rangers at Ibrox. approx. 3 years ago? I was there and recall several incidents when we had a flurry of corners, and our guy taking the corner(s) . he was continually pelted with rolled up balls of paper (from the seats of their fans, for a red white and blue display) . ok, just paper but this must have frightened our man , yet the ref did nowt, the club did nowt and the media said exactly the same. this was all happening when we pressed for an equaliser. only paper, as said but as my Auld Dutch used to say, in a snawbaw fight between her school and the one o'wer the road she said the Protestants always put Stanes in their snawbaws:wink: seriously though there may have been items in those rolls of paper. Although, Hibernian fans are not immune to this behaviour. I was disgusted walking back to our bus from a Final defeat at Hampden when I actually saw several of our lot bombarding lassies in a burger van with coins, calling them weedgie bassas, just because we'd lost another cup final!

monktonharp
01-12-2017, 08:33 PM
He's right.

The gas cannister was thrown by one person.Broony was right. saw a wee clip with that happening. do think he took an opportune moment though. both the penalties were very dodgy as most non Celts agree. never heard much about this happening to Celtic players "weekly basis" as he said:confused:

stoneyburn hibs
01-12-2017, 08:34 PM
It was Scott Allan that was bombarded with the paper balls. Huns v hun.

monktonharp
01-12-2017, 08:41 PM
It was Scott Allan that was bombarded with the paper balls. Huns v hun.Huns v hun? do expand

stoneyburn hibs
01-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Huns v hun? do expand

Eh ? The Huns were throwing paper balls at Scott Allan the Hun. It's not a secret.

AZhibee
02-12-2017, 05:25 AM
It was Scott Allan that was bombarded with the paper balls. Huns v hun.

Those were wadded up contract offers.

Johnny_Leith
02-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Broony was right. saw a wee clip with that happening. do think he took an opportune moment though. both the penalties were very dodgy as most non Celts agree. never heard much about this happening to Celtic players "weekly basis" as he said:confused:

I think Celtics pen at Motherwell was definitely a penalty. If that happened to a hibs player i'd want a pen. McGregor has got himself between man and ball and the centre half a barges him.

I doubt it would have been given at the other end and that's the problem

judas
02-12-2017, 11:35 AM
It surprises me that no player has been fatally injured by such an incident.

A pound coin thrown with force and falling from height could certainly cause death if the connection was made at the wrong part of the skull. Or permanent damage of some kind isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Brown is correct to raise the issue.

heretoday
02-12-2017, 01:00 PM
The overpaid haddies should be throwing coins at us!

HibernianJK
02-12-2017, 11:40 PM
How can you protect against this though? Seems incredibly hard to me.