30-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Brazil
England
Iceland
Nigeria

please.

hibsbollah
30-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Poland, Peru, Iran, Panama the weakest in each pot I'm thinking?

Love a world cup, cant wait. Gaun the Peru.

Forza Fred
01-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Poland, Peru, Iran, Panama the weakest in each pot I'm thinking?

Love a world cup, cant wait. Gaun the Peru.

Unfortunately, I think the current Australia team is one of the weakest.....

Mikey
01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Just about to start on BBC2. I doubt they'll be plucking any balls out for a while though......

lyonhibs
01-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Just about to start on BBC2. I doubt they'll be plucking any balls out for a while though......

Such a bloody palaver the whole thing is.

"Now, as we all know, countries within 10 latitude degrees of each other that share more than 1 vowel in their names cannot be grouped together, so that means Egypt and Argentina can't be drawn together. Except if we were doing this draw on the 2nd Tuesday of the month"

And so on and so on and so on.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Jonathan Pearce is a pure cock. Had to have the Maradona drug test jibe.

DarlingtonHibee
01-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Brazil
England
Iceland
Nigeria

please.
This

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Spain and Portugal together!

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:43 PM
England get Belgium.

Mikey
01-12-2017, 02:45 PM
England get Belgium.

They now can't get Sweden, Denmark or Iceland. Or Serbia from pot 4.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Hope England get Senegal, they're a good side.

Mikey
01-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Hope England get Senegal, they're a good side.

Nope. McGlashan was right.......

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Russia get an easy group, surprise. No obvious group of death yet.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Ffs. Panama, Tunisia and Belgium. Couldn't have hoped for much easier.

DarlingtonHibee
01-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Ffs. Panama, Tunisia and Belgium. Couldn't have hoped for much easier.

Don't worry they can still mess this up with Southgate in charge.

Sylar
Group A

Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Uruguay

Group B

Portugal
Spain
Morocco
Iran

Group C

France
Australia
Peru
Denmark

Group D

Argentina
Iceland
Croatia
Nigeria

Group E

Brazil
Switzerland
Costa Rica
Serbia

Group F

Germany
Mexico
Sweden
Korea

Group G

Belgium
Panama
Tunisia
England

Group H

Poland
Senegal
Colombia
Japan

hibsbollah
Argentina Nigeria Iceland Croatia is the tough one.

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Argentina Nigeria Iceland Croatia is the tough one.
Group F is tough also.....

andybev1
01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
f'n typical English draw

SteveHFC
01-12-2017, 03:00 PM
France-Germany final it will be.

Jim44
01-12-2017, 03:00 PM
On paper they should qualify easily but they’re no great shakes and banana skins might come into it.

Swedish hibee
01-12-2017, 03:01 PM
'Mon the Swedes💛💙

Dan Sarf
01-12-2017, 03:01 PM
f'n typical English draw

The Group Of Jam

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Belgium are a good, good side. Being hauf Sassenach, and one of a small minority of .netters who wish England well, I must say am no really bothered aboot international fitba. I'll watch some of it.

Sylar
01-12-2017, 03:03 PM
With the exception of Argentina and Nigeria again, there's a lot of different fixtures.

I don't care for any one specific team in there - just hope it'll be a good exhibition of football and that it passes as a trouble free event!

Billy Whizz
01-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Do top 2 qualify for the knock out stages

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Looks evenly spread and without an horrendously difficult group.

Smartie
01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
The autocracy derby kicking it all off should be good.

NOLA
01-12-2017, 03:11 PM
England couldn’t pick an easier group [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Shanner of a draw. Fancy Morocco to qualify from the groups at least.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 03:12 PM

I dunno; looking at list, there are few possibly easier.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 03:13 PM

Or schedule of the group. :rolleyes:

SirDavidsNapper
01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
What's a world cup draw?

Hermit Crab
01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Do top 2 qualify for the knock out stages

Must do as thats 2 teams from 8 groups = 16

01-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Set up nicely for a comedy group exit at the hands of panama.

we are hibs
01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
England won't finish above Belgium. Which means they'll hopefully draw the Germans and lose on penalties

Scorrie
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Aye but I think that may be England’s problem over the years. They tend to get “easy” draws but when they get to knock out stages and meet better sides they’re a bit undercooked. Probably better having a good team to play in groups stages. Having said that Belgium are no mugs

NAE NOOKIE
01-12-2017, 03:27 PM
What's this pish about countries from the same confederation avoiding each other ... just bung em all in and bloody get on with it.

A good group for England .... but if they win it and results elsewhere go to form they have a route to the final, if what I've just seen on BBC2 is correct, that if they were to get through they will deserve to win the competition.

Apart from that there's no real group of death, though Argentina, Germany and Poland might find it tougher than they had hoped ..... As for Russia, considering they are pretty pish they could have had a far harder group ... lucky them eh? :greengrin

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Aye but I think that may be England’s problem over the years. They tend to get “easy” draws but when they get to knock out stages and meet better sides they’re a bit undercooked. Probably better having a good team to play in groups stages. Having said that Belgium are no mugs

They go to horsed in every game last time.

Michael
01-12-2017, 03:50 PM
What's a world cup draw?

England 0 - 0 Panama

Fergus52
01-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Looking at some of those groups makes me really gutted Scotland didn't qualify

Callyballybe
01-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Friday afternoon. But we all know how it's going to go already :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOPgNIyRBD0

Haha! Haven't seen this before. Very funny. 😂

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2017, 04:06 PM

And neither could Spain, or Germany or France or Argentina or Brazil.
What's your point?

G B Young
01-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Belgium topped their qualifying group by winning 9 of their 10 games, scoring 43 goals. They were the No 1 ranked FIFA side just recently and are also top seeds in this World Cup Group. Hardly an 'easy' opponent.

jgl07
01-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Belgium are a good, good side. Being hauf Sassenach, and one of a small minority of .netters who wish England well, I must say am no really bothered aboot international fitba. I'll watch some of it.
Belgium are a bloody good side by any comparison:

Kevin de Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Romalu Lukaku, Thibaut Curtois, Toby Aldereireld, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, etc., etc. That's before starting on the likes of Christian Benteke, Dries Mertens, Moussa Dembele, and Marouane Fellani.

I am not a great fan of international football either, but that team has to be worth watching.

Edit:

I missed out the best defender in Europe from the above list in Vincent Kompany. He has been injured for so long I am not confident that he will be fit to play.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Kevin de Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Romalu Lukaku, Thibaut Curtois, Toby Aldereireld, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, etc., etc. That's before starting on the likes of Christian Benteke, Dries Mertens, Moussa Dembele, and Marouane Fellani.

I am not a great fan of international football either, but that team has to be worth watching.

:agree:

Very strong side. If they get their act together, they could be challengers. I don't think England have the easiest group, though they should be finishing in the top two, obviously.

G B Young
01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Looking at some of those groups makes me really gutted Scotland didn't qualify

Scotland couldn't even reach the play-offs and are heading towards a 22-year absence from either a European Championship or a World Cup. We don't qualify for one simple reason and that is because we're not good enough.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Belgium are good but play England last. Both will be through by then if not England Belgium will definitely be through and play the rezzies in their game.

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 04:24 PM
f'n typical English draw

Who did Scotland get?

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Who did Scotland get?

We decided we wouldn't bother, as the competition is beneath us. We'll be on holiday whilst giving everybody else a chance :agree:

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
We decided we wouldn't bother, as the competition is beneath us. We'll be on holiday whilst giving everybody else a chance :agree:

👍🥅

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Scotland couldn't even reach the play-offs and are heading towards a 22-year absence from either a European Championship or a World Cup. We don't qualify for one simple reason and that is because we're not good enough.
Sorry but that is an oft repeated lazy comment and saying it repeatedly doesn't make it true. It was well within our grasp to qualify for this tournament and we would have had we had a good manager in charge.

Mikey
01-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Fixtures here......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/schedule/group-stage

I was looking forward to four games on Sat 16th June but it looks like only one of them is worth watching!

Smartie
01-12-2017, 04:30 PM

Is there any particular reason why a country the size of Belgium has produced so many World Class footballers?

Not saying they will win the tournament (as they don't seem to be able to pull it together as a team at the finals stage) but they surely have the most talented collection of individuals? It's not like they've got billions of people to choose from.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Everyone knows how good they are on paper, but they've never really done it at the big event. 'Golden generation' papped out by Wales at the Euros. I'd always rather face a team like that than perennial big time teams and previous winners but who maybe struggled in qualifying, like Argentina. I think England will be delighted to draw Belgium.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Everyone knows how good they are on paper, but they've never really done it at the big event. 'Golden generation' papped out by Wales at the Euros. I'd always rather face a team like that than perennial big time teams and previous winners but who maybe struggled in qualifying, like Argentina. I think England will be delighted to draw Belgium.

I wouldn't go that far, mate. Nobody would have wanted Belgium in their group, given the choice. They're better than England.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't go that far, mate. Nobody would have wanted Belgium in their group, given the choice. They're better than England.

Out of the top seeds Brazil Argentina France Germany Portugal Russia all scarier prospects IMO.

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Agreed.

Belgium are a very good side and England would not have chosen them if they'd had that chance.

England will make the quarters though.

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Agreed.

Belgium are a very good side and England would not have chosen them if they'd had that chance.

England will make the quarters though.
Bloody doom merchant......

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Bloody doom merchant......

:na na:

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Fixtures here......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/schedule/group-stage

I was looking forward to four games on Sat 16th June but it looks like only one of them is worth watching!

Bet you watch them all when it comes to it though. I fancy a World Cup of shocks.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Hold the fort, the WC is starting on a THURSDAY?

Who made that bawnumentus decision? ***** game regardless but still.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Out of the top seeds Brazil Argentina France Germany Portugal Russia all scarier prospects IMO.

Russia and Portugal are nowhere near Belgium.

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2017, 05:17 PM
I'm a Scot, through and through, but I will be rooting for England - our sole British representatives, to win the tournament.

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm a Scot, through and through, but I will be rooting for England - our sole British representatives, to win the tournament.
My mother was English so I guess I have English blood in me but I can assure you I will not be rooting for them. I hope they get dismantled in every game they play.

IlDiavola
01-12-2017, 05:24 PM

With you on that :thumbsup:

Michael
01-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Russia are brutal.

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
My mother was English so I guess I have English blood in me but I can assure you I will not be rooting for them. I hope they get dismantled in every game they play.

I have both Scots and English in my immediate and extended family and see us all as British - a union of over 300 years of shared history, including wars in which we stood and fought, side by side, against Germany, Italy, France and Argentina. I for one could never bring myself to want any of these nations to beat England/Scotland in football or in any other sport.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Brave thing to say on a Hibs forum :greengrin

Even though I'm half English, I have to be honest and say i wouldn't like them to win it. Imagine the conceit......

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I used to want England to win. Now the EPL is so mixed regardless you don't have to relate to the players you watch on telly.

Egypt for me. France to win it.

Colr
01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Can’t say I’m particularly rooting for anyone but I hope to enjoy some good football.

I hope England do OK as it’ll make my wee boy happy and I’ll get behind them if they play decent football but on past evidence, that’s unlikely to happen.

stokesmessiah
01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Belgium topped their qualifying group by winning 9 of their 10 games, scoring 43 goals. They were the No 1 ranked FIFA side just recently and are also top seeds in this World Cup Group. Hardly an 'easy' opponent.

As has been seen before, they come apart at tournament time though!

Carheenlea
01-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Not something I'll be watching much of, but will watch the England games. Usually start by kind of hoping they progress, then enjoying their ultimate exit when it comes. I'd happily see them get to the final then losing in heartbreaking fashion.

I do love the official poster though - very stylish :agree:

http://i65.tinypic.com/15megjb.png

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Russia are brutal.

But they will get through the group stage. They won't be allowed not to.

Bristolhibby
01-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Good for you. I live in England, wife is English and my kids are half English.

I will be hoping for them to be papped out.

There will be a banana skin.

J

Mibbes Aye
01-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Is there any particular reason why a country the size of Belgium has produced so many World Class footballers?

Not saying they will win the tournament (as they don't seem to be able to pull it together as a team at the finals stage) but they surely have the most talented collection of individuals? It's not like they've got billions of people to choose from.

Not sure why so many players have come through at the same time but their overall WC record isn't bad - over the last nine tournaments they failed to qualify twice, but they have also reached the semi-finals, the quarter-finals and made it out of the group stages another four times. And when they've gone out, it's always been to top-flight sides - Argentina, Brazil, the Germans etc.

G B Young
01-12-2017, 07:02 PM

If your mother was English it's more than a guess that you have English blood in you. You're half English even if you don't feel it :wink:

I never understand why folk still worry that England might win these tournaments and become so wound up about seeing them lose. There is no chance they will win it. Simply not good enough.

ronaldo7
01-12-2017, 07:58 PM
I have both Scots and English in my immediate and extended family and see us all as British - a union of over 300 years of shared history, including wars in which we stood and fought, side by side, against Germany, Italy, France and Argentina. I for one could never bring myself to want any of these nations to beat England/Scotland in football or in any other sport.

I'll be rooting for the French, as with, over 700 years of our Alliance, and having fought wars together...

:faf::sauzee:

stoneyburn hibs
01-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Boak.

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Same as every tournament, rooting for England, ripping the pish on here for Scotland not being there. Seeing England fail once again and taking banter on here as soon as England are out. Nowt changes.

Colr
01-12-2017, 08:10 PM
I'll be rooting for the French, as with, over 700 years of our Alliance, and having fought wars together...

But they invaded Leith!

Bristolhibby
01-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Same as every tournament, rooting for England, ripping the pish on here for Scotland not being there. Seeing England fail once again and taking banter on here as soon as England are out. Nowt changes.

And repeat every two years.

Just wish we were there as well.

Shame there’s no tricky Saturday night game. Had a great time with my Mates for the Italy game last World Cup.

J

ronaldo7
01-12-2017, 08:20 PM
But they invaded Leith!

And brought with them the café kulcher:wink:

weecounty hibby
01-12-2017, 08:24 PM

I am really glad that England qualify. No honestly! If not I probably wouldn't be that interested in the world cup, what with us just being mere viewers at the moment. I will be watching the first round wearing my Panama hat, eating merguez and washing it down with Stella. I always knew that I had a soft spot for Panama, Tunisia and of course Belgium as I've been there twice to watch Hibs.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 08:27 PM

I can't wait tbh. I would rather there was other representation from the British Isles but if laughing at England's inevitable comedy failure is the closest I get to actual involvement then so be it. The 2014 thread was class. Here's to another next year :greengrin

HoboHarry
01-12-2017, 08:27 PM

France or Germany for me......

Lago
01-12-2017, 08:52 PM

You might be surprised, I think they will do pretty well.

Mibbes Aye
01-12-2017, 08:59 PM
The whole England media hype thing is overplayed nowadays, bar the odd commentator/pundit (Clive Tyldsley, Glenn Hoddle) and given how much we ridicule the Scottish media for their OF coverage, we can't really expect better from the English redtops, can we?

I think the coverage is more measured nowadays, but also, even if it is patriotic I mind it less. I've liked Arsenal since the early 80s when I first got taken to see them, so when Campbell and Cole for example, were regulars, it was hard not to hope they did well individually, if not as a team.

There's been other players over the years who I wouldn't wish not to succeed - I never bought into the Beckham hatred and I always enjoyed seeing Beardsley and Barnes play. Hargreaves was another player who was good but had to overcome massive criticism before proving his doubters wrong in 2006 and I'm glad he did, and Scholes was always worth watching.

Also find it hard not to like Sturridge when he's playing well and Welbeck too. Similarly, it was difficult not to like Peter Crouch.

I think it's all too easy to slip into the ABE mentality. They will be lucky to get beyond the Round of 16 and I can't see how they get through the QFs but they aren't that bad a team.

erin go bragh
01-12-2017, 09:00 PM
I'll be rooting for ever team that play England .

Michael
01-12-2017, 09:07 PM
You might be surprised, I think they will do pretty well.

What is a good performance for England? Quarter finals?

Colr
01-12-2017, 09:07 PM
The whole England media hype thing is overplayed nowadays, bar the odd commentator/pundit (Clive Tyldsley, Glenn Hoddle) and given how much we ridicule the Scottish media for their OF coverage, we can't really expect better from the English redtops, can we?

I think the coverage is more measured nowadays, but also, even if it is patriotic I mind it less. I've liked Arsenal since the early 80s when I first got taken to see them, so when Campbell and Cole for example, were regulars, it was hard not to hope they did well individually, if not as a team.

There's been other players over the years who I wouldn't wish not to succeed - I never bought into the Beckham hatred and I always enjoyed seeing Beardsley and Barnes play. Hargreaves was another player who was good but had to overcome massive criticism before proving his doubters wrong in 2006 and I'm glad he did, and Scholes was always worth watching.

Also find it hard not to like Sturridge when he's playing well and Welbeck too. Similarly, it was difficult not to like Peter Crouch.

I think it's all too easy to slip into the ABE mentality. They will be lucky to get beyond the Round of 16 and I can't see how they get through the QFs but they aren't that bad a team.

You have to be kidding about Crouch. His presence on the field turned every match into a game of hoofball. You might as well watch the Hearts.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:10 PM
What is a good performance for England? Quarter finals?

That's perfect IMO. Out on penalties in the QF's :agree:

hibbydog
01-12-2017, 09:17 PM
England will get to quarter finals at best. Over inflated opinion of themselves because they have the richest league in the world. But all the superstars of the English league are foreign.

And generally, premier league players do not produce in major tournaments because they’ve had such a demanding season in comparison to their opponents.

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 09:21 PM
England will get to quarter finals at best. Over inflated opinion of themselves because they have the richest league in the world. But all the superstars of the English league are foreign.

And generally, premier league players do not produce in major tournaments because they’ve had such a demanding season in comparison to their opponents.

I think you will struggle to find an England supporter that has an overinflated opinion of how good the national team is. In fact I would say that statement is total nonsense and indicative of a perception shared by non England supporters.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:25 PM
I think you will struggle to find an England supporter that has an overinflated opinion of how good the national team is. In fact I would say that statement is total nonsense and indicative of a perception shared by non England supporters.

Some of the commentators and pundits sound like England supporters though. And they are the worst for setting it up for an almighty fall :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Some of the commentators and pundits sound like England supporters though. And they are the worst for setting it up for an almighty fall :greengrin

They're just doing a job, I can never understand how people can get so wound up by commentary and pundits.

lord bunberry
01-12-2017, 09:31 PM
I agree, it’s taken a while for the fact to hit home that England aren’t a major player on the world scene anymore. I think that will work in England’s favour not having that much expectation on their shoulders. They’re an upper second tier team that could do well if they get a decent draw after the group stages, but the winners will come from Germany, Spain, Brazil or Argentina.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:31 PM
They're just doing a job, I can never understand how people can get so wound up by commentary and pundits.

I don't get wound up by them when England are playing at a tournament. Far from it :tee hee:

Steve Mclaren's masterclass v Iceland last year is just comedy gold :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 09:36 PM
I don't get wound up by them when England are playing at a tournament. Far from it :tee hee:

Steve Mclaren's masterclass v Iceland last year is just comedy gold :greengrin

I try to ignore second rate celebrities who talk about Iceland and Farmfoods and certainly don't find them to be comedy gold.

Colr
01-12-2017, 09:39 PM

That’s why the Gaelic channel is the best. You can’t understand a word of the Tom Kyte they are talking.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:44 PM
I try to ignore second rate celebrities who talk about Iceland and Farmfoods and certainly don't find them to be comedy gold.

You were in the States at the time IIRC Scouse so just in case you missed it

https://youtu.be/XaW1hqqyEhw

This clip sums up what I'm on about. Dismissing the opposition and talking up England despite very little evidence of good play. Arrogance and delusion both getting a simultaneous pounding :thumbsup:

The fact it's an ex-England manager doing it is of course extra funny but it also highlights a major problem for you- you've got very few options in that department. 25 years since an English manager won the top flight? I doubt there's many other top leagues in world football where that's the case :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2017, 09:50 PM
You were in the States at the time IIRC Scouse so just in case you missed it

https://youtu.be/XaW1hqqyEhw

This clip sums up what I'm on about. Dismissing the opposition and talking up England despite very little evidence of good play. Arrogance and delusion both getting a simultaneous pounding :thumbsup:

The fact it's an ex-England manager doing it is of course extra funny but it also highlights a major problem for you- you've got very few options in that department. 25 years since an English manager won the top flight? I doubt there's many other top leagues in world football where that's the case :greengrin

😂 Cheers. The first time I have seen that, yeah was in tbe States at the time. Good memory you have!

Sir David Gray
01-12-2017, 09:51 PM
England should qualify from that group. Hopefully another last 16 heartache lies in store.

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:53 PM
😂 Cheers. The first time I have seen that, yeah was in tbe States at the time. Good memory you have!

How many sleeps till WC18? I can't wait :greengrin

Mr White
01-12-2017, 09:56 PM
England should qualify from that group. Hopefully another last 16 heartache lies in store.

Shoosh that's aiming too low. If they reach the quarters we'll get a few more Shteve-esque moments of comedy masterclass :greengrin

Scott Allan Key
01-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Shanner of a draw. Fancy Morocco to qualify from the groups at least.

With all the Real, Barca and Ronaldo fans there, it’s be a nice change to see people having their own side to glory hunt for. Tough group but can see Portugal and Spain not as strong as before.

Mibbes Aye
01-12-2017, 10:21 PM
You have to be kidding about Crouch. His presence on the field turned every match into a game of hoofball. You might as well watch the Hearts.

Crouch might have been tall but he had/has a very, very good first touch and doesn't lack technique. His ability to play on the deck was far overlooked because of his stature IMO.

Some managers may have played to his height but he had far more in his repertoire than that. The telling for me is in international football, where his record is pretty impressive. He scored lots of headers but he was hardly a hoofball player - despite his height, he is a slender player, and it was more about positioning and placement rather than physique and force

heretoday
01-12-2017, 10:51 PM

I think they will. They've some good young players and, of course, Harry Kane.
What's more, expectations on them are not as great as they once were.

Firestarter
01-12-2017, 11:05 PM
As much as England could be papped out they could win it too. Raheem or Deli away from winning it in fact.

lord bunberry
01-12-2017, 11:29 PM
As much as England could be papped out they could win it too. Raheem or Deli away from winning it in fact.
It’s not going to happen. It’s like the champions league. There’s only going to be a very few possible winners and England aren’t one of them. 1990 was England’s last big chance. Since then the same few teams have shared it amongst them. Spain are the only team to have muscled their way in to things.

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2017, 12:02 AM
It’s not going to happen. It’s like the champions league. There’s only going to be a very few possible winners and England aren’t one of them. 1990 was England’s last big chance. Since then the same few teams have shared it amongst them. Spain are the only team to have muscled their way in to things.

Arguably France when they hosted too.

i sort of agree with you. Post-Italia 90, five teams have won but only seven have contested the finals.

Then again, dominance isn’t new. West Germany played in five out of seven finals between 1966 and 1990. And Brazil won three out of four attempts, Eusébio and then a very competent Hungary side stopping them in 1966.

lord bunberry
02-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Arguably France when they hosted too.

i sort of agree with you. Post-Italia 90, five teams have won but only seven have contested the finals.

Then again, dominance isn’t new. West Germany played in five out of seven finals between 1966 and 1990. And Brazil won three out of four attempts, Eusébio and then a very competent Hungary side stopping them in 1966.
That’s true, I had forgotten about France. With the Italians missing this time, they are probably the best outside bet. I’d love to see the Belgians finally come good in a major championship.

bubblesmorrison
02-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Stupidest thing i have seen online all day!

Portugal are european champions and Russia are the hosts.

Russia and Portugal are nowhere near Belgium.

Johnny_Leith
02-12-2017, 04:08 AM

Edit:

I missed out the best defender in Europe from the above list in Vincent Kompany. He has been injured for so long I am not confident that he will be fit to play.

Best defender in Europe?? He's not even the best Belgian defender!

AZhibee
02-12-2017, 04:18 AM
who did scotland get?

usa

Colr
02-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Crouch might have been tall but he had/has a very, very good first touch and doesn't lack technique. His ability to play on the deck was far overlooked because of his stature IMO.

Some managers may have played to his height but he had far more in his repertoire than that. The telling for me is in international football, where his record is pretty impressive. He scored lots of headers but he was hardly a hoofball player - despite his height, he is a slender player, and it was more about positioning and placement rather than physique and force

I agree he was skillful player but, as you say, his height led some managers to play a very dull game to take advantage. To little effect on the outcome, I think.

Colr
02-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Best defender in Europe?? He's not even the best Belgian defender!

It’s another question for Scotland as to why belgium ( a small country of 11m) do so well.

With Iceland, I think the message was the number of well qualified couches in the game from primary school up generating good teams.

What’s the story with Belgium?

hibsbollah
02-12-2017, 12:26 PM
It’s another question for Scotland as to why belgium ( a small country of 11m) do so well.

With Iceland, I think the message was the number of well qualified couches in the game from primary school up generating good teams.

What’s the story with Belgium?

I think luck has to have a big part in it. Eden Hazard came through the youth team ranks at Lille so he's a product of the French system rather than the Belgian. And Dries Mertens was a late bloomer, was playing parttime in his homeland when he was 22 and only turning world class when he went to Napoli. As far as I know they haven't had a big national funding programme like Iceland.

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2017, 12:59 PM
A few observations after 5 pages:

What's the problem with English pundits and commentators acting like fans? ... they are English, they should be biased towards them.

Even with Belgium in their group England should qualify easily in at least 2nd place ... Failure to do so would be a disgrace.

Not wanting England to do well is part of a football rivalry built up over nearly 150 years ... though I don't have a problem with folk who buck that trend if they want to. But saying we should support them because we have fought wars together against half the teams in the tournament is just barmy.

I'm already missing the Italians :boo hoo:

Mr White
02-12-2017, 01:03 PM

What's the problem with English pundits and commentators acting like fans? ... they are English, they should be biased towards them.

Even with Belgium in their group England should qualify easily in at least 2nd place ... Failure to do so would be a disgrace.

Not wanting England to do well is part of a football rivalry built up over nearly 150 years ... though I don't have a problem with folk who buck that trend if they want to. But saying we should support them because we have fought wars together against half the teams in the tournament is just barmy.

Nothing wrong with it all IMO. It's usually provides good entertainment sooner or later :greengrin

ardecos
02-12-2017, 08:07 PM
I agree he was skillful player but, as you say, his height led some managers to play a very dull game to take advantage. To little effect on the outcome, I think.

Remember Peter Crouch being asked what he would be if not a footballer and he said "a virgin". Considering who his wife is, he's doing ok.

Sammy7nil
03-12-2017, 07:24 AM

The problem is they work for the BBC and even when other home nations are at the tournament England get far more coverage than the other nations. FFS a drop in to the England training camp is often the top story on the national news.