PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sam Allardyce

theonlywayisup
30-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Daily Express claim the Sam Allardyce £6m-a-year deal at Everton will see him earn more than Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane, Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone and Juventus manager Max Allegri.

Mad, if true!

DarlingtonHibee
30-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Daily Express claim the Sam Allardyce £6m-a-year deal at Everton will see him earn more than Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane, Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone and Juventus manager Max Allegri.

Mad, if true!

Everton panicked here, sam was holding all the cards, great work if you can get it!

heretoday
30-11-2017, 12:40 PM
It's a sensible appointment in my view. Certainly his lugubrious presence in the directors box last night seemed to work wonders!

He has much to do. Clear out the old softies and bring in some ugly great centre-backs. Also a striker or two for Sigurdsson to target.

MKHIBEE
30-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Big Sams appointment, alongside Moyes and Pardew, highlights the unwillingness of many premier league clubs to look to the long term when making managerial appointments. I doubt any of them will be wth the same clubs at the end of next season, indeed Moyes might be gone before the end of this. I accept it’s all about the financial rewards for remaining in the top flight but what chance has any young up and coming Manager got to reach the top when the same old dinosaurs get appointed

mcohibs
30-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Big Sams appointment, alongside Moyes and Pardew, highlights the unwillingness of many premier league clubs to look to the long term when making managerial appointments. I doubt any of them will be wth the same clubs at the end of next season, indeed Moyes might be gone before the end of this. I accept it’s all about the financial rewards for remaining in the top flight but what chance has any young up and coming Manager got to reach the top when the same old dinosaurs get appointed

Get your point but don't think you can blame Everton and other clubs languishing in the lower section of the league for not focussing on a long term scenario at the moment. A quick fix is exactly what they needed. Big Sam coming in will steady the ship - good appointment imo. Always hear a lot about these 'up and coming managers' in English football not given a chance - very rarely are any suggestions put forward as to who they are though.

yonder1875
30-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Get your point but don't think you can blame Everton and other clubs languishing in the lower section of the league for not focussing on a long term scenario at the moment. A quick fix is exactly what they needed. Big Sam coming in will steady the ship - good appointment imo. Always hear a lot about these 'up and coming managers' in English football - very rarely are any suggestions put forward as to who they are though.

Pocchetino at Spurs, Silva at Watford.

Iain G
30-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Appointing this corrupt, crooked old dinosaur just shows how much of a panic Everton have got themselves into. Big Brown Envelope Sam should have been blacklisted and not be allowed anywhere near a professional football role but the money in the EPL talks and owners panic. Nobody is given time anymore to actually bed in and build a team, it's complete madness driven by the huge money on offer.

Would be quite happy if Palace, Everton and West Ham all go down this season, would serve them all right in my view.

Iain G
30-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe have been given time at their clubs to grow and develop :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
30-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Appointing this corrupt, crooked old dinosaur just shows how much of a panic Everton have got themselves into. Big Brown Envelope Sam should have been blacklisted and not be allowed anywhere near a professional football role but the money in the EPL talks and owners panic. Nobody is given time anymore to actually bed in and build a team, it's complete madness driven by the huge money on offer.

Would be quite happy if Palace, Everton and West Ham all go down this season, would serve them all right in my view.

well said :agree: hope Everton end up playing in the National League now, shameful hiring a crooked corrupt **** like Allardyce

The Modfather
30-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Mad, if true!

Wonder if that will be enough money for him or if he’ll go back to his grubby brown envelope ways again.

mcohibs
30-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Sorry I was looking for examples of these so-called up and coming managers in England who are NOT being given a chance. Might have been unclear in my post.

Spurs and Watford gaffers two very good examples that there are indeed up and coming coaches coming through at big jobs. I don't buy the argument that there aren't any or that 'dinosaur' coaches are keeping them all out of a job.

SirDavidsNapper
30-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Mad, if true!

Just shows the money floating about south of the border. So far removed from reality I can't relate to it anymore.

jacomo
30-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Mad, if true!

Big Sam brings a big team of assistants and analysts with him to every job.

Does the £6m cover them as well? In which case the comparison is rather disingenuous.

In fact, I would classify everything in the Daily Express as fake news unless corroborated by another source!

TheGreenMan
30-11-2017, 04:41 PM
well said :agree: hope Everton end up playing in the National League now, shameful hiring a crooked corrupt **** like Allardyce

What was it he done wrong?

Thecat23
30-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Absolute madness the same ***** managers keep getting Jobs. Pardew being another.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Mad, if true!

Little know fact - Allardyce was the TENTH highest paid manager in the world at West Ham!

IGRIGI
30-11-2017, 05:01 PM
There seems to be a pool of go to managers for clubs just looking to avoid the drop that includes the likes of Allardyce and Pardew.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2017, 05:04 PM
There seems to be a pool of go to managers for clubs just looking to avoid the drop that includes the likes of Allardyce and Pardew.

Pardew is a total James Hunt. A horrible human being by all accounts, and he certainly gives that impression as a manager.

MWHIBBIES
30-11-2017, 05:50 PM
He probably has a harder job than any of those guys and in a richer league. Nothing to see here really, experienced guy gets payed well for difficult job by rich business.

IlDiavola
30-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Good appointment by the Toffees but crazy money.

nonshinyfinish
30-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Big Sam brings a big team of assistants and analysts with him to every job.

And pints of Chardonnay don't pay for themselves.

hibsbollah
30-11-2017, 05:55 PM

:top marks

Pete
30-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Little know fact - Allardyce was the TENTH highest paid manager in the world at West Ham!

How much is staying in the English top flight worth?

You could argue that his salary is a small outlay compared to what they’d lose if they drop down.

Crazy stuff.

Firestarter
30-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Good manager. Worth the £6m when he turns them round.

Scorrie
30-11-2017, 06:21 PM
How much is staying in the English top flight worth?

You could argue that his salary is a small outlay compared to what they’d lose if they drop down.

Crazy stuff.

Aye and if he tools it up he gets a pay off!

snooky
30-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Aye and if he tools it up he gets a pay off!
:agree:
Double headed coin.
Win! win!
And when you go other clubs line up to pay you to do the same again!
Holy Jesus, I'd love a job like that.

emerald green
30-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Seemingly, a number of Everton supporters aren't happy about the appointment of Allardyce. However, if he turns things around and Everton win matches and stay up, they will change their tune.

They won't give a monkeys about past allegations of corruption either. Regarding the 2016 Daily Telegraph investigation for example, following a review by City of London police, Allardyce was cleared of any wrongdoing, with the Telegraph also clarifying that it did not suggest that Allardyce had broken the law.

hibsbollah
30-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Seemingly, a number of Everton supporters aren't happy about the appointment of Allardyce. However, if he turns things around and Everton win matches and stay up, they will change their tune.

They won't give a monkeys about past allegations of corruption either. Regarding the 2016 Daily Telegraph investigation for example, following a review by City of London police, Allardyce was cleared of any wrongdoing, with the Telegraph also clarifying that it did not suggest that Allardyce had broken the law.

It was obvious from the Panaroma programme on him, which I remember watching, that although money didn't actually change hands on screen Allardyce certainly signalled he was interested in a bit of a sweetener. Just because it may not stick in court doesn't mean he wasn't up to his neck in it back in those days.

emerald green
30-11-2017, 07:21 PM
It was obvious from the Panaroma programme on him, which I remember watching, that although money didn't actually change hands on screen Allardyce certainly signalled he was interested in a bit of a sweetener. Just because it may not stick in court doesn't mean he wasn't up to his neck in it back in those days.

I don't think it ever reached a court of law after the Panorama programme. I might be wrong. I'm not sure.

The final report of the Stevens enquiry published in June 2007 expressed concerns regarding the involvement of Craig Allardyce in a number of transactions, stating that: "The inquiry remains concerned at the conflict of interest that it believes existed between Craig Allardyce, his father Sam Allardyce—the then manager at Bolton—and the club itself." Allardyce stated that the inquiry was a public relations exercise and that the conclusion of a "conflict of interest" was "innuendo, without any facts".

There was certainly a whiff about it all I do agree, but innocent until proven guilty I suppose?

heretoday
30-11-2017, 07:24 PM

Well, I dare say the same sort of thing goes on at a lot of clubs now that the agents are in charge. It won't bother the Toffees if he gets them back up the league.

hibsbollah
30-11-2017, 07:35 PM
I don't think it ever reached a court of law after the Panorama programme. I might be wrong. I'm not sure.

The final report of the Stevens enquiry published in June 2007 expressed concerns regarding the involvement of Craig Allardyce in a number of transactions, stating that: "The inquiry remains concerned at the conflict of interest that it believes existed between Craig Allardyce, his father Sam Allardyce—the then manager at Bolton—and the club itself." Allardyce stated that the inquiry was a public relations exercise and that the conclusion of a "conflict of interest" was "innuendo, without any facts".

There was certainly a whiff about it all I do agree, but innocent until proven guilty I suppose?

Big Sam's son told the undercover reporter that Big Sam would be interested in taking a bung and he could arrange access to him. Big Sam's defence afterwards was that the son was exaggerating his importance and was just showing off. The BBC also had agents saying on tape that Big Sam took bribes before, but they retracted the claims as soon as the programme came out. A massive whiff IMO. It didnt help that he came across as massively dislikeable throughout.

jacomo
30-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Allardyce also said he was going to sue the BBC for wronging him.

He didn't.

emerald green
30-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Allardyce also said he was going to sue the BBC for wronging him.

He didn't.

According to what I've read, Allardyce failed to issue libel proceedings as he was advised (by his lawyers presumably?) that suing for damages to reputation was a costly and time consuming process.

easty
30-11-2017, 08:39 PM
According to what I've read, Allardyce failed to issue libel proceedings as he was advised (by his lawyers presumably?) that suing for damages to reputation was a costly and time consuming process.

A convenient excuse for the absolute scheming walloper.

emerald green
30-11-2017, 08:44 PM
A convenient excuse for the absolute scheming walloper.

Do you not like big Sam then?

easty
30-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Do you not like big Sam then?

What's to like? I don't think he has any likeabilty at all.

"Big Sam"...even has a name like a **** in a council estate pub you cannae be arsed with, but he must be heard, except this **** gets paid a fortune. Doesn't seem like it's ever enough for "Big Sam" though.

MKHIBEE
30-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Get your point but don't think you can blame Everton and other clubs languishing in the lower section of the league for not focussing on a long term scenario at the moment. A quick fix is exactly what they needed. Big Sam coming in will steady the ship - good appointment imo. Always hear a lot about these 'up and coming managers' in English football not given a chance - very rarely are any suggestions put forward as to who they are though.

I fully understand the need for quick fixes when teams are struggling. As for up and coming managers I rate Lee Johnson at Bristol City, Gary Rowett at Derby and Gary Monk at Middlesbrough, think he got a raw deal at Swansea and I wouldn’t take his time st Leeds into account. One from lower down the pyramid to look out for is Danny Cowley at Lincoln, what he has achieved there is remarkable

jgl07
30-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Yes but don't forget all the trophies that Fat Sam has won in his longer managerial career!

Unless I am mistaken that amounts to bugger-all.

Scott Allan Key
30-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Chris Hughton at B & H Albion

guthrie01
30-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Don't understand the big hate for Big Sam, sure he dabbled in some less than proper means to make some extra cash. But I'm sure a large portion of managers/players use any way they can to add more zeros to their bank account. Just unfortunate for him, the papers focused on him in particular and set him up.

That aside Everton know they won't be challenging for trophies any time soon, they just want to stay well clear from the drop and bring some stability back. Which is exactly what Big Sam does, he sorts out the defense and pushes games out to grind the results. He is not a glamorous manager but his win rate is actually respectable. Certainty a whole lot better than Hodgson/Moyes/Pardew which are nothing more than recognisable British names.

ArmadaleHibs
01-12-2017, 06:34 AM
It's a sensible appointment in my view. Certainly his lugubrious presence in the directors box last night seemed to work wonders!

He has much to do. Clear out the old softies and bring in some ugly great centre-backs. Also a striker or two for Sigurdsson to target.

“LUGUBRIOUS”

Sad faced, glum, face like a slapped arse.

Great word by the way and can possibly be used to describe 90% of managers, including Mr Happy at the new PBS

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2017, 07:07 AM
“LUGUBRIOUS”

Sad faced, glum, face like a slapped arse.

Great word by the way and can possibly be used to describe 90% of managers, including Mr Happy at the new PBS

:agree:

Great word, and one of my favourites, along with phlegmatic. Some words aren't used enough. Curmudgeon is another yin I like.

brog
01-12-2017, 07:50 AM
In a world of obnoxious & arrogant football managers then Pardew & Allardyce would be fighting out a 6-6 draw at the top of the league. I have some insider knowledge of both but Pardew's unwarranted arrogance & other weaknesses are minor compared to SA's activities which are widely known in footbsll. I've always had a soft spot for Everton but no more I'm afraid. I feel sorry for Bill Kenwright, a decent man, tainted by association.

jacomo
01-12-2017, 07:55 AM
In a world of obnoxious & arrogant football managers then Pardew & Allardyce would be fighting out a 6-6 draw at the top of the league. I have some insider knowledge of both but Pardew's unwarranted arrogance & other weaknesses are minor compared to SA's activities which are widely known in footbsll. I've always had a soft spot for Everton but no more I'm afraid. I feel sorry for Bill Kenwright, a decent man, tainted by association.

It's the association with Uzbeki gangster money that matters more.

Hiring a manager who likes a bung is pretty tame by comparison.

The relationship between Moshiri, Usmanov, Everton and Arsenal is very murky.

Smartie
01-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Chris Hughton at B & H Albion

Can a 58 year old in his 6th managerial position really be described as "up and coming" though?

emerald green
01-12-2017, 07:33 PM
What's to like? I don't think he has any likeabilty at all.

"Big Sam"...even has a name like a **** in a council estate pub you cannae be arsed with, but he must be heard, except this **** gets paid a fortune. Doesn't seem like it's ever enough for "Big Sam" though.

OK you don't like "Big Sam", but what's your beef with council estate pubs? I grew up on a council estate. Lots of fine people there. Many of whom would literally give you their last few quid.

easty
01-12-2017, 08:13 PM
OK you don't like "Big Sam", but what's your beef with council estate pubs? I grew up on a council estate. Lots of fine people there. Many of whom would literally give you their last few quid.

What you on about? :confused: I didn't say anything negative about a council estate pub, or council estate people generally.

If I'd said he was like some brash loud mouthed numpty you get stuck sat beside at Easter Road, would that be me having a go at Easter Road?

heretoday
01-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Big Sam has a face worth looking at. He's like a particularly sour Northern club comic. Gordon Strachan once likened him to "your uncle, drunk at a wedding".

As to the bungs I reckon he's not alone. I seem to recall Harry Redknapp's financial dealings were hardly pure as the driven snow.

Captain Trips
02-12-2017, 01:00 AM
I personally think he is average at best. For me they spent a lot of money and should have stuck with Koeman.

emerald green
02-12-2017, 04:04 PM
What you on about? :confused: I didn't say anything negative about a council estate pub, or council estate people generally.

If I'd said he was like some brash loud mouthed numpty you get stuck sat beside at Easter Road, would that be me having a go at Easter Road?

I'm on about your choice of the words "council estate pub". Why not just "pub"?

lapsedhibee
02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Big Sam has a face worth looking at. He's like a particularly sour Northern club comic. Gordon Strachan once likened him to "your uncle, drunk at a wedding".

As to the bungs I reckon he's not alone. I seem to recall Harry Redknapp's financial dealings were hardly pure as the driven snow.

Harry was fine. It was Rosie that did the dodgy deals.