PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing

eastcoasthibby
29-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Just thinking after reading all the comments about Craig Thomson refereeing our games and the slightly varying views on his bias, cheating, incompetence and whatever else ..
I for what its worth have mixed views on his performances since the cup final, where what he did was a disgrace in a live televised national cup final.
Moving away specifically from him, I think that a number of refereeing performances this season particularly at home have been far worse in terms of incompetence, bias, cheating , woeful decision making ....I look at the antics of Aberdeen, ST Johnstone, Hertz, Dundee, etc and the amount of blatant fouling, taking players out, pulling players back, timewasting, standing in front of freekicks, taking turns at fouling players, mcginn especially, terrible offside decisions, etc ..all of which have been met with few yellow cards against the freekick ratio's, horrific tackles no yellow never mind red, matched with a number of instances where one freekick from our players equals a booking, ....all of these things have the direct impact on stopping us playing the way we try to and are blatant cheating techniques that opposition managers are deploying, that all referees are ignoring blatantly.
I am the first person to accept that big decisions balance out over season, but these fouls and antics are in my opinion having a bigger impact than big decisions ..and its down to the point and question is why does it feel like officials are all consistently making very poor decisions through all our games so far by letting things go and being.too soft, is there really grounds for a conspiracy theory about them, giving us nothing other than what is blatant and even then not giving it, thinking about all of this is Thomson any worse than the rest so far this season, I don't think he has been, I think they are either useless or there is something going on ! Its all just too much of a coincidence that it happens every week !!

snooky
29-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Just thinking after reading all the comments about Craig Thomson refereeing our games and the slightly varying views on his bias, cheating, incompetence and whatever else ..
I for what its worth have mixed views on his performances since the cup final, where what he did was a disgrace in a live televised national cup final.
Moving away specifically from him, I think that a number of refereeing performances this season particularly at home have been far worse in terms of incompetence, bias, cheating , woeful decision making ....I look at the antics of Aberdeen, ST Johnstone, Hertz, Dundee, etc and the amount of blatant fouling, taking players out, pulling players back, timewasting, standing in front of freekicks, taking turns at fouling players, mcginn especially, terrible offside decisions, etc ..all of which have been met with few yellow cards against the freekick ratio's, horrific tackles no yellow never mind red, matched with a number of instances where one freekick from our players equals a booking, ....all of these things have the direct impact on stopping us playing the way we try to and are blatant cheating techniques that opposition managers are deploying, that all referees are ignoring blatantly.
I am the first person to accept that big decisions balance out over season, but these fouls and antics are in my opinion having a bigger impact than big decisions ..and its down to the point and question is why does it feel like officials are all consistently making very poor decisions through all our games so far by letting things go and being.too soft, is there really grounds for a conspiracy theory about them, giving us nothing other than what is blatant and even then not giving it, thinking about all of this is Thomson any worse than the rest so far this season, I don't think he has been, I think they are either useless or there is something going on ! Its all just too much of a coincidence that it happens every week !!

There were many dodgy decisions the season we went down. Just one point would have kept us up so any one of those bad decisions cost us very dearly. Ironically we've probably come back stronger however, we lost a bit of ground because of it.

Bristolhibby
29-11-2017, 05:33 PM
There were many dodgy decisions the season we went down. Just one point would have kept us up so any one of those bad decisions cost us very dearly. Ironically we've probably come back stronger however, we lost a bit of ground because of it.

3rd in the league with the Scottish in the bag and record ST sales and crowds.

Not bad for losing ground.

J

snooky
29-11-2017, 05:39 PM

J

Aye, but we wid have been top and in the CL had we not been relegated :wink:

Joe6-2
29-11-2017, 06:05 PM

I agree with you, and I don’t think it does balance out!

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 06:15 PM

There is no chance they balance out.:agree:

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Ask Motherwell if decisions even themselves out?
I will be lumping on Well on Saturday as they are due two pens :greengrin

Joe6-2
29-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Cheats, end of!

Bishop Hibee
29-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Two things to start. Refs are far too lenient in Scotland. Hibs kicked off the park v Accies and not the first time we’ve had rough house tactics used against us. McGinn is a particular target. Players knocking lumps out each other in the Huns v Dons game tonight. Then there’s the inconsistency. Bruno Alves booked rightly. Kenny Miller boots Shinnie(?), no booking. Utterly bizarre.

Swedish hibee
29-11-2017, 09:04 PM
As a outsider, the refereeing in Scotland is very poor. Poorer than some leagues I watch on TV. What one ref will give one week, the other won't. . Zero consistency and that's what frustrates me watching.

bigwheel
29-11-2017, 09:07 PM
well tonight, I am standing alone...I think you are all wrong...it was a penalty, soft I agree, but it was a push in the back in the box..

And I don't think the are cheats...bad yes, inconsistent yes...but not cheats

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 09:11 PM
well tonight, I am standing alone...I think you are all wrong...it was a penalty, soft I agree, but it was a push in the back in the box..

Yeah decisions even out over the course of the season :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:wink:

weecounty hibby
29-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Do you think the same ref in the same situation would have given a penalty for that against either Rangers or Celtic? If you say no then it is cheating. If you say yes then, sorry, you can't have seen many Scottish refereeing performances over the years

bigwheel
29-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Do you think the same ref in the same situation would have given a penalty for that against either Rangers or Celtic? If you say no then it is cheating. If you say yes then, sorry, you can't have seen many Scottish refereeing performances over the years

hahahahaha thanks for those well balanced options to your question....

weecounty hibby
29-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Yeah, ok but seriously. Last minute of the game, OF leading by a goal, minor contact in their box, player goes over. Penalty awarded by referee? Probability is no. Flip it round, OF losing in last minute, minimal contact in opposition box, player goes over. Penalty awarded by referee? Probability is yes. Poor refereeing or cheating?

mca
29-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Penalty Decisions - Always go in the Favour of the Weegies.. Has done since the 80`s (at least)

" Who Missed The Penalty " was always a quote from an old firm 0-0

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 09:26 PM

The uncomfortable truth is history shows he is correct.

The only decisions I can recall where the old firm got blatantly wrong decisons against them are the cup final against Hearts who got a pen when the foul was outside the box and super Ally dragged down in the box only for the ref to wave the claim away. Celtic against ICT in the semi I struggle to think of other examples.

bigwheel
29-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Yeah, ok but seriously. Last minute of the game, OF leading by a goal, minor contact in their box, player goes over. Penalty awarded by referee? Probability is no. Flip it round, OF losing in last minute, minimal contact in opposition box, player goes over. Penalty awarded by referee? Probability is yes. Poor refereeing or cheating?

:wink: honestly, I don't think it was cheating...would it have been given at the other end? well, the reality is Celtic were in Well's box pushing for an equaliser , so more likelihood of them getting a soft decision.....as is often the case. If Well, had had been actively in the Celtic box, they might have got the call too.

Not saying it was defo a pen - but can see why its was given, and don't think it was cheating.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Penalty Decisions - Always go in the Favour of the Weegies.. Has done since the 80`s (at least)

" Who Missed The Penalty " was always a quote from an old firm 0-0

"John Greig has a broken leg ! Who's it?"

Thecat23
29-11-2017, 09:42 PM
I’m 100% convinced refs cheat. You simply cannot be that bad on a weekly basis I’m sorry. They will do anything to favour the Glasgow sides. Celtic are the darlings of Scottish football and no danger would he have gave that pen to Well no chance at all.

kaimendhibs
29-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Ive said before, tbe one thing that would stop me watching top flight footie is the cheating/erm rotten refs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Eyrie
29-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah decisions even out over the course of the season :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:wink:

It does even itself out because the referees will give some decisions* and not others# which is the definition of evening it out.

*If the decision is in favour of Celtc or Sevco/Huns RIP.
#If the non-decision is in favour of Celtc or Sevco/Huns RIP.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2017, 09:56 PM
It does even itself out because the referees will give some decisions* and not others# which is the definition of evening it out.

*If the decision is in favour of Celtc or Sevco/Huns RIP.
#If the non-decision is in favour of Celtc or Sevco/Huns RIP.

:aok::greengrin:aok:

LaMotta
29-11-2017, 10:04 PM

There is no chance they balance out.:agree:

If they do balance out eventually, we are due a rake of fortunate decisions in the derbies over the coming years!

Pete
29-11-2017, 10:20 PM
In the main I think they try to be fair but a combination of incompetence and players trying to cheat them all the time doesn’t help.

FWIW I think the latter is the bigger problem in our game. They need help desperately and it’s not beyond the wit of man to do so.

snooky
30-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Ive said before, tbe one thing that would stop me watching top flight footie is the cheating/erm rotten refs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agree. I come away from matches these days more than often than not angry at the poor refereeing rather than bad performances by the team. We're seeing all the farce of all-in wrestling - the pre-staged part agreed between the officials and our opposition (mainly the OF).

Onion
30-11-2017, 01:57 AM

Been the case for years. The Thomson case is an interesting one. Either his blatant cheating in the Yam Cup Final was regarded as "job done" or he's been told in no uncertain terms by the beaks that he's on notice when it comes to Hibs matches - but his refereeing of Hibs games has been ridiculously unbiased. In fact, he's been so fair to Hibs since 2012 that he's showing up all the other incompetent cheats in black. How often do other teams start a match kicking the **** out of Hibs players (knowing full well the ref will not want to start carding early doors), only for the first Hibs foul to be rewarded with a card ? Far too often.

Hibs, Lennon and Lianne and made great strides in the last 2/3 years to show that Hibs will no longer be shoved around - but there's still work to do. The inherent prejudice runs deep.

InchHibby
30-11-2017, 04:32 AM
The cheat here was the player, again, there was contact but very very minimal and certainly never enough for the player to drop to the ground. So once again the ref has been fooled, but, he is also partly to blame as he like us up on the terraces can see the player has made a meal of it but still gives it.
My personal view is as it has been from the 70s, no way would that be given at that stage of the match to any other than the bigot brothers, so yes it is a form of cheating. You would think that after the League cup penalty, which I’m sure last nights ref would have watched and come to the same conclusion as nearly everybody that seen it, he would be a tad more aware of this tactic.

InchHibby
30-11-2017, 04:40 AM

I agree and you only have to look at the Aberdeen and Motherwell games, then Hamilton on Saturday. If they know they can’t match you with actually playing football, then their tactics are straight from the training ground instilled by the manager, stop them playing at all costs.

mjhibby
30-11-2017, 07:03 AM

J

And butcher would have probably been kept on if we'd stayed up. What annoys me more than anything is that every tight offside call goes against us where taverniers goal shows the difference in getting a decision. Has always been this way in my 46 years of supporting the hibees. Beaton seems to be the exception and most games don't even notice he's there. I've reffed a couple of amateur games and it's incredibly difficult but you have to question how guys like thomson are still getting top games after yet another howler. Funny thing is after every bad game thomson has with us the next one hes usually fine. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

mjhibby
30-11-2017, 07:06 AM
I don't even fret when we get him for big games. Maybe he's done what's necessary to keep the great and the good happy and is just reffing games now. 😀.

Thecat23
30-11-2017, 07:15 AM
And butcher would have probably been kept on if we'd stayed up. What annoys me more than anything is that every tight offside call goes against us where taverniers goal shows the difference in getting a decision. Has always been this way in my 46 years of supporting the hibees. Beaton seems to be the exception and most games don't even notice he's there. I've reffed a couple of amateur games and it's incredibly difficult but you have to question how guys like thomson are still getting top games after yet another howler. Funny thing is after every bad game thomson has with us the next one hes usually fine. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

John Beaton is actually one of the worst refs in Scotland right up there with Thomson. His games involving us this season have been beyond a joke!

brog
30-11-2017, 07:42 AM
The ironic thing about Craig T is that probably his worst ever refereeing performance came in a European match. Pellegrino, then manager of Malaga, accused him of cheating & favouring the big team, Dortmund. Sound familiar? Personally I just think our refs are pretty crap but I doubt, now that Bobby Tait's retired, that they deliberately set out to cheat. There's no doubt however that they're influenced by the crowd & perhaps subconsciously by the consequences. If Dylan had gone down in the box at our end on Saturday we would probably have got a pen.

greenginger
30-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Stats. from Rangers v Aberdeen match last night refereed by Andrew ( chip off the old block ) Dallas.

The Rangers 24 fouls - 3 yellow cards

Aberdeen 14 fouls - 5 yellow cards and 1 red card

Bostonhibby
30-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Stats. from Rangers v Aberdeen match last night refereed by Andrew ( chip off the old block ) Dallas.

Aberdeen 14 fouls - 5 yellow cards and 1 red cardThe rangers have no money so they're putting the emphasis on developing their own young referees again. The dallas name should ensure the rapid development and rise to the top within the Scottish football establishment.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

brog
30-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Aberdeen 14 fouls - 5 yellow cards and 1 red card

McCrorie should have been booked for his 1st cynical foul. He was subsequently booked & how Kenny Miller avoided at least 1 card is unbelievable. Dallas at no time ever looks in control.

Geo_1875
30-11-2017, 08:32 AM
My biggest bugbear with referees, apart from Craig Thomson being a cheating *******, is the number of games where Hibs are being kicked up and down the park but the first booking is for the first foul by a Hibs player. This is not a recent phenomenon but was very obvious when we played in the Championship.

30-11-2017, 09:36 AM
My biggest bugbear with referees, apart from Craig Thomson being a cheating *******, is the number of games where Hibs are being kicked up and down the park but the first booking is for the first foul by a Hibs player. This is not a recent phenomenon but was very obvious when we played in the Championship.

And it is usually McGinn it happens to.