PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago today Hibs 5 Naples 0

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2017, 06:16 AM
My first big European game. Bobby Duncan scored the best goal I have ever seen from 40 yards past Dino Zoff. Been hooked ever since GGTTH

iwasthere1972
29-11-2017, 06:38 AM
My first big European game. Bobby Duncan scored the best goal I have ever seen from 40 yards past Dino Zoff. Been hooked ever since GGTTH

Pleased to say that I was there. :thumbsup:

Michael
29-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Crazy how football's changed. What a result.

greenpaper55
29-11-2017, 07:29 AM
An amazing night, no one gave us a chance after the first leg, i'm pretty sure that Napoli were league champions at the end of that season as well !

mjh
29-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Father took me along and bought tickets in the stand - first time - what a night!

Alfiembra
29-11-2017, 07:34 AM
I remember my Dad went but wouldn't let me or my brother go with him for some reason I can't remember.

Overturned a 4-1 away defeat IIRC.

Golden Bear
29-11-2017, 07:35 AM
I was in the process of "changing ends" when Bobby unleashed the thunderbolt. It will be etched in my memory banks forever.

:thumbsup:

Roxyhibee
29-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Was 8 year old. Remember asking my my dad on the way down to the game on the bus if we would win and he said something reminding me we were 4-1 down already, so not to get too disappointed.

The vivid colour of Naples' strips under the floodlights and their Mediterranean skin all looked very exotic to me and I can still visualise it strongly.

We were in the East down near the front, so Duncan's opener is clearly etched in my mind and I can replay it in my mind so easily.

However, I'm afraid the rest is a blur of jumping around / being lifted with my dad and uncles.! - I cannot recall any of the rest of the game, but although I'd already been to alot of games by then, I know I had my first of many incredible nights at Easter Road.

greenpaper55
29-11-2017, 07:53 AM
The terrible thing is we are unlikely ever to see the likes of it again, the way football is structured now we hardly get a sniff of European competitions.

Famous Fiver
29-11-2017, 07:55 AM
A privilege to be there that night.

One of the great occasions. Long before Sunshine on Leith, unfortunately. I can't imagine what it would have sounded like that night. One of the best atmospheres I've ever known at ER.

Dino Zoff was a god, remember we didn't have blanket television coverage in these days so you really only read about these superstars or caught the odd snippet on tv. To see him picking the ball out of his net in the first five minutes will live with me forever. We just knew from that moment we were going to win.

Ah, the good old days, then along came 21.05.2016...........

Bayern Bru
29-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Some great pics in the Evening News online plus a match report - and I didn't know that bit about us only being in the Fairs Cup at the expense of Clyde!

50 years ago today: Hibs thrash Napoli 5-0 in Fairs Cup (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/50-years-ago-today-hibs-thrash-napoli-5-0-in-fairs-cup-1-4625994)

Jack Hackett
29-11-2017, 08:45 AM
My abiding memory of that game was of the polis on duty in the cave celebrating as wildly as the fans when the 3rd goal went in.

Brilliant night

PeeJay
29-11-2017, 08:51 AM
A wonderful football evening for Hibs fans - the Hibs players in that team provided some magical moments too - it wasn't just Turnbull's team that could be special ... was it really so long ago, and was Duncan's goal ONLY 25 yards out ? Pity there is no footage anywhere of the game ...

where'stheslope
29-11-2017, 09:05 AM
I remember it well, next day at school, everyone thought it was a miss print in the papers!!!!!

Golden Bear
29-11-2017, 09:06 AM
The terrible thing is we are unlikely ever to see the likes of it again, the way football is structured now we hardly get a sniff of European competitions.

:agree:

The tie against AEK Athens in 2001 was also a memorable match but I doubt if we'll be lucky enough to see anything similar in the foreseeable future.

Kato
29-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I've heard, dunno if it's true, that Naples season went to pot after that game. They were flying high but narrowly escaped relegation.

poolman
29-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Me too

What a night :thumbsup::thumbsup:

snooky
29-11-2017, 10:13 AM
I remember it well, next day at school, everyone thought it was a miss print in the papers!!!!!

Bobby Duncan's screamer is emblazoned in my memory. Jambo John Ayres was the EEN sports editor and the back page headline the following day was "Townsend Unfit for Saturday". The Napoli report was on the second last page. :grr:
What a night though. Never to be forgotten.

hibby6270
29-11-2017, 11:13 AM
I was 9 years old. My dad took me. Think it was my first European game. It’s certainly the first one I have a memory of. Standing up on the high part of the East terracing, the large crowd, the floodlights, that’s as much as I can recall if I’m honest.

Didn’t realise the significance of the result at the time other than the fact ‘we had won’ on aggregate. Now though, the 1-4 turnaround plus the scoring of 5 goals past one of the greatest keepers of all time means so much.

Question has probably been asked before but is there any video of the game known to exist?

Bostonhibby
29-11-2017, 11:14 AM
A spectacular result, wasnae there but have a programme from the game, score written on it and autographed by Montefusco, Cane, Peter Cormack, Jimmy O'rourke, Joe Davis, Pat Quinn, John Madsen.

Best bit for me is Bob Shankly's page, He says " I have been quoted as saying that Hibs can beat Naples by 3 goals to nullify the 4-1 defeat we suffered in Italy. That is not kidology on my part. I sincerely believe we can do it"

hibsfan7
29-11-2017, 11:29 AM
i was too young to go myself and my brother alan was goin to take me but he was meeting a workmate in a pub in Edinburgh and the swine never turned up so I could have went
I remember alan when he came home he was hoarse with all the cheering etc

alhibby
29-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Thankfully my dad took me along that night, great game and great atmosphere, I can still see Bobby Duncan hit that ball from halfway down St Clair Street :wink::thumbsup:

snooky
29-11-2017, 11:38 AM
I was 9 years old. My dad took me. Think it was my first European game. It’s certainly the first one I have a memory of. Standing up on the high part of the East terracing, the large crowd, the floodlights, that’s as much as I can recall if I’m honest.

Didn’t realise the significance of the result at the time other than the fact ‘we had won’ on aggregate. Now though, the 1-4 turnaround plus the scoring of 5 goals past one of the greatest keepers of all time means so much.

Question has probably been asked before but is there any video of the game known to exist?

I seem to remember seeing (in b&w) Bobby Duncan's goal on Scotsport (or its ilk). I can also remember after Hibs made it 4-0 the commentator (George Davidson?) saying "Hibs having the dilemma of whether to defend or go for another goal".
Then, BANG! 5-0 :scarf:

In those days I believe tapes were reused so the game may have been taped over the following week. Who knows?

29-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Looks like Napoli finished 2nd that season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_Serie_A

Kato
29-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Looks like Napoli finished 2nd that season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_Serie_A

So looks like the anecdote I was told was bull.

snooky
29-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Re. the footage. Straight from the HFC ofishie site .........

“I’ve never even seen the goal as the footage was destroyed in a flood." - Bobby Duncan

ancient hibee
29-11-2017, 02:51 PM
I seem to remember seeing (in b&w) Bobby Duncan's goal on Scotsport (or its ilk). I can also remember after Hibs made it 4-0 the commentator (George Davidson?) saying "Hibs having the dilemma of whether to defend or go for another goal".

In those days I believe tapes were reused so the game may have been taped over the following week. Who knows?
Good memory bank,think the commentator may have been Alec Cameron.Pretty sure I saw it on Scotsport after I got home.
Bob Shankly was a first rate manager,sometimes mentioned as in “Bill Shankly’s brother was also a manager”.Given the imbalance with the OF he had an excellent career.

madsen5
29-11-2017, 03:52 PM

So was I amazing night.

snooky
29-11-2017, 04:14 PM
So was I amazing night.

My mate and I must have been a wee bit late in because we had just got settled in our usual spot when Duncan's Whip went in.

IlDiavola
29-11-2017, 04:26 PM
I briefly worked alongside Bobby Duncan. He was still 'dining out' on that goal.

By the way, a nicer man you could not meet.

southsider
29-11-2017, 04:51 PM
So was I amazing night.
The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get u and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.

IlDiavola
29-11-2017, 04:54 PM
The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get u and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.

:thumbsup: Nice wee story mate :thumbsup:

The Harp
29-11-2017, 05:16 PM
One of Hibs classic European nights, there were quite a few of them over the years. Duncan's goal lit the fuse for a memorable night which will live long in the memory of those who were there.
Can remember their legendary goalkeeper, Dino Zoff, saying in the press the next day, that the noise generated by the ER crowd had affected their players.
A wonderful night to be a Hibee.

jockspanner
29-11-2017, 05:31 PM
One of Hibs classic European nights, there were quite a few of them over the years. Duncan's goal lit the fuse for a memorable night which will live long in the memory of those who were there.
Can remember their legendary goalkeeper, Dino Zoff, saying in the press the next day, that the noise generated by the ER crowd had affected their players.
A wonderful night to be a Hibee.
I was due to go to the game with my dad but he was running late so my mum decided to take me, she had never been too a game before or since, when we arrived at the main stand she was amazed at the prices and said to the guy on the turnstile that she was only there because my dad was running late, the good auld chap let her in for nixyky, I can only remember Bobby Duncan's goal from 80yrds, I also broke my rattle that night due to incessant rattling, only 9yrs old but happy days.

Feed McGraw
29-11-2017, 05:47 PM
One of the classic games in Hibs history, this was a very good Hibs side and they were just fantastic that night. My dad had stopped going to the football regularly but he always went on the big European nights. One of my Sisters came along that night too. I was 11 and a half years old and it was just magic !!

Seveno
29-11-2017, 05:53 PM
I was there with my Dad and brothers. It was one of the greatest ever nights at ER and all the more amazing that we put 5 past one of the most famous goalkeepers ever to grace the game. Like other posters, Bobby Duncan’s goal is etched on my memory.

Iggy Pope
29-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Beautiful post.

Lago
29-11-2017, 06:02 PM
:agree:

The tie against AEK Athens in 2001 was also a memorable match but I doubt if we'll be lucky enough to see anything similar in the foreseeable future.

Your right, those days are gone now & it's doubtful if they will ever return.

fat freddy
29-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Its only when you read these threads that you realise the average age of .net posters is 60.

Lago
29-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Its only when you read these threads that you realise the average age of .net posters is 60.

And over:aok:

Cropley10
29-11-2017, 06:13 PM
The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get up and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.

You never know the things your kids remember but that's a brilliant memory

WoreTheGreen
29-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Any BBC highlights?

brog
29-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Apart from the Bobby D goal kicking things off,for me the most important moment was Pat Quinn's goal on the stroke of half time. That gave us the belief & momentum to destroy them down the slope in the 2nd half. A few weeks earlier Wee Pat had scored a hat trick at PBS, having not scored for 2 years before that. His next goal was against Napoli, some sequence.

Feed McGraw
29-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I was there with my Dad and brothers. It was one of the greatest ever nights at ER and all the more amazing that we put 5 past one of the most famous goalkeepers ever to grace the game. Like other posters, Bobby Duncan’s goal is etched on my memory. That`s so true about the goal, but I think I always thought it was his right foot he hit it with. We were at the lower part of the big terracing near the cave end and I have my view etched in my mind ( apart from getting the foot he hit it with wrong :greengrin) depending where you were in the ground, people will have different pictures in their mind`s eye.

I watched SDG`s famous goal from the north stand and watching live from there that view was etched in my mind. Now though, having watched it on you tube about 17 billion times when I think of the goal I think I now have the telly view in my mind :greengrin. None of that with Bobby`s goal - one look and that was it !

Jonnyboy
29-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Apart from the Bobby D goal kicking things off,for me the most important moment was Pat Quinn's goal on the stroke of half time. That gave us the belief & momentum to destroy them down the slope in the 2nd half. A few weeks earlier Wee Pat had scored a hat trick at PBS, having not scored for 2 years before that. His next goal was against Napoli, some sequence.

Spot on, B.

Of all the games I've watched over all the years I've watched them, the Napoli game is in my top five :agree:

The_Sauz
29-11-2017, 09:23 PM

I was 8 and like you, I was up in the top of the East...in my school shorts (freezing cold) :greengrin

Onion
30-11-2017, 02:13 AM
Was 10 and not allowed to go. My dad had no interest whatsoever in football - lot of long "haired p**** kissing each other". Which made it all the more shocking, when he woke me up at 10.30pm and said you better come through and see this.

Having been whipped 4-1 away, thought it was just my dad wanting me to watch Hibs get another humping from the Italian giants. Sat there fearing the worst but watched in stunned wonder as Hibs tore Napoli to shreds. Will never, ever forget that Bobby Duncan goal.

Think my old man was also secretly impressed by Hibs that night ... but still a bunch of p*****.

One Day
30-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Me too, whole family was there, parents and brothers I was youngest at 10

gbhibby
30-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Was there I was in the tv gantry as the standard guys felt sorry for me as I was a small 6 year old
When Bobby Duncan scored I nearly knocked over the tv camera. I was then sent down to the enclosure. I am sure the commentator was Arthur Mountford

eastterrace
30-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Was there I was in the tv gantry as the standard guys felt sorry for me as I was a small 6 year old
When Bobby Duncan scored I nearly knocked over the tv camera. I was then sent down to the enclosure. I am sure the commentator was Arthur Mountford

Sure it was bob cramsey , he usually done the commentating back then. I was at the game , at Dunbar end first half so got a good look of Duncan’s goal . Made way round at half time into the shed.it was bedlam when the goals started flying in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
30-11-2017, 09:45 PM
And I think it was Alec Cameron.So that’s the full set for STV.

hibby6270
30-11-2017, 09:57 PM

Hard to believe nowadays the whole concept of “taping over” a video.:greengrin:greengrin

Although, thinking back, when video recorders became household items in the mid to late 70s, I bet we all had a tape with the words “DO NOT TAPE OVER” sellotaped to it for those shows you wanted to keep!! :greengrin

Bet there’s a good few VHS highlights of Hibs games out there that a lot of us have forgotten we recorded.

Johnny Clash
01-12-2017, 09:31 AM
I’m just back from 3 days in Naples. Mental place! I wonder how many Hibs fans went to the first leg? I’m guessing travel was much more expensive and difficult back then so probably hardly anyone went.

Mili Tant
02-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Not only was I there to see the great Dino Zoff, I scored against him (following a little pitch incursion after the third goal). As a 12 year old I was rewarded for my efforts with eviction from the ground (immediate return to the stand to avoid the polis), two of the belt and dropped fi the team the next again day for “bringing the school into disrepute “. Happy days indeed!