PDA

View Full Version : Bear necessities?

snooky
28-11-2017, 10:02 PM
http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15688391.East_Lothian_set_to_get_its_own_version_o f_the_Angel_of_the_North_as_bear_statue_plans_appr oved/
Why A bear? :dunno:

Mibbes Aye
28-11-2017, 10:21 PM
http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15688391.East_Lothian_set_to_get_its_own_version_o f_the_Angel_of_the_North_as_bear_statue_plans_appr oved/
Why A bear? :dunno:

Arguably Dunbar's most famous son was John Muir. He was born in the nineteenth century and moved to the US as a child. He grew up to be probably the most important conservationist/environmentalist in American history and his name is likely far better-known there than it is here - I think he gets a lot of credit for the whole National Parks movement and the conservation of wilderness, allowing species to flourish untroubled by man. I think he was particularly fond of bears.

There's a country park on the outskirts of Dunbar, which has a good range of soft play and a few species of wild animals, named in his memory.

snooky
28-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Arguably Dunbar's most famous son was John Muir. He was born in the nineteenth century and moved to the US as a child. He grew up to be probably the most important conservationist/environmentalist in American history and his name is likely far better-known there than it is here - I think he gets a lot of credit for the whole National Parks movement and the conservation of wilderness, allowing species to flourish untroubled by man. I think he was particularly fond of bears.

There's a country park on the outskirts of Dunbar, which has a good range of soft play and a few species of wild animals, named in his memory.

Forgot about John Muir. Sorry, my Booboo (for the want of a better pun). :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
28-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Forgot about John Muir. Sorry, my Booboo (for the want of a better pun). :greengrin

I understand that if it wasn't a bear the statue was to be of the Holy Father availing himself in the woods :agree: :greengrin