PDA

View Full Version : Winter break

Billy Whizz
28-11-2017, 09:14 PM
In my opinion it’s a good thing. Just think we should have played on 2nd January, rather than have a midweek progranme on Wednesday 24th January
Any thoughts ?

JimBHibees
28-11-2017, 09:15 PM
In my opinion it’s a good thing. Just think we should have played on 2nd January, rather than have a midweek progranme on Wednesday 24th January
Any thoughts ?

Totally agree

ancient hibee
28-11-2017, 09:22 PM
It’s ludicrous.We’ve just had an international break ,will play seven games in Decemberincluding three in a week and then close down.

Weir07
28-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Any thoughts ?

Not a fan to be honest, only three Saturday home games between the end of the winter shutdown and the split, there are also three midweek games between 24th of Jan and 28th of Feb, seems self defeating to have the break then have three Saturday\Wednesday games in a month, surely better to spread them out instead of the winter shutdown.

weecounty hibby
28-11-2017, 09:47 PM
It's a total and utter farce. The only reason players need a break in January is because they are ****ed after playing very couple of days in December!! Having the most games in a short period during the most expensive time of the year shows a complete disregard for the fans

Carheenlea
28-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Serves no purpose whatsoever.
A glut of games over festive period, then have a break before restarting with 5 games in 15 days and asking teams to travel midweek in middle of winter.
Don't get it at all.

danhibees1875
28-11-2017, 11:32 PM
It’s ludicrous.We’ve just had an international break ,will play seven games in Decemberincluding three in a week and then close down.

Then return to 4 games in 11 days to close out January.

I'll also add my name to the "not a fan" list.

Thecat23
28-11-2017, 11:34 PM
A winter break would be alright if we didn’t ram as many games as possible before and after. Kind of defeats the purpose for me!

Diclonius
28-11-2017, 11:55 PM
The Winter break would work if weather in this country was predictable. It isn't.

Watch us have a mild January followed by a freezing/wet February and March. In fact, I hope we do - sooner we'll do away with it.

DH1875
29-11-2017, 12:00 AM
Time will tell but personally I don't agree with it.

truehibernian
29-11-2017, 12:01 AM
To be honest I think it will be of great benefit to both Darren and Danny for non-footballing reasons - mentally and emotionally. Really looking forward to seeing them both back in the squad and playing important roles in the first team, especially Danny :aok:

Scott Allan Key
29-11-2017, 12:30 AM
To be honest I think it will be of great benefit to both Darren and Danny for non-footballing reasons - mentally and emotionally. Really looking forward to seeing them both back in the squad and playing important roles in the first team, especially Danny :aok:

Agree, re Danny. He looked like he was going to turn game against Aberdeen when he came on, and I once he’s back I’m confident he’ll be the missing link we need to get those extra goals or unlock defences.

Lago
29-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Any thoughts ?

Can't say I like it, I think the playing season as a whole needs revamped.

Kojock
29-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Great idea, means I won't miss any games whilst I'm in Mexico.

heretoday
30-11-2017, 07:09 AM
It's a total and utter farce. The only reason players need a break in January is because they are ****ed after playing very couple of days in December!! Having the most games in a short period during the most expensive time of the year shows a complete disregard for the fans

Hear hear.

jgl07
30-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Daft idea. It was only proposed so that Sevcotic could play money spinning friendlies in exotic locations.

brog
30-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Couldn't have put it any better. In addition it's impossible to predict just when winter will truly strike. There's been previous when we've had balmy weather during the break & blizzards on the intended return. A farce indeed!

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2017, 01:12 PM

As I've said a few times on here recently. What is astonishing is that the clubs themselves must have been in favour of this spread of fixtures, or at least the majority of premiership clubs were. IMO its absolutely indicative of the poor governance of the game and the astonishing lack of commercial awareness of the folk running it that they bombard the fans they rely on for their major source of revenue with the most fixtures in the most expensive month of the season.

If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I could afford to attend all of Hibs fixtures in December:

Celtic £28 .... Sevco £28 .... Ross County £22 .... Killie £22 ....... That's a total of £100 without even taking into account travel costs etc which more than doubles that figure.

If you are a walk up fan with kids or an away supporter the total cost of following Hibs in December will be prohibitive ... I wouldn't be in the least surprised if December turns out to be the month with the lowest overall league attendance figures when the season is over. As for the winter break itself ... In Scotland the weather is so unpredictable between December and March that there's every chance all a winter break will do is lead to a massive fixture backlog later in the year, all it will take is two weeks of terrible weather in January or February.

danhibees1875
30-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Daft idea. It was only proposed so that Sevcotic could play money spinning friendlies in exotic locations.

Sevcotic :faf:

Never seen that before, I hope it catches on.

franks
01-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Any thoughts ?

Totally agree.

seanshow
01-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Summer football for me we would soon get used to it, league deciders in December cup final on new years day and then shut down till mid march as more years than not you will miss the worst of the weather.
Been waiting ten years since it was proposed though, so don't hold out much hope for change.

jgl07
01-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Aye a brilliant idea. Miss six weeks in the middle of the season every second year or risk going head to head with wall to wall televised matches in the World Cup and the European Championships.

Plus the added bonus of thousands of season ticket cancellations from those who go on holiday in the Summer.

Theinsider
01-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Heard we are back out in Spain this year. Anyone she'd light on this.

Billy Whizz
01-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Haven’t heard anything, but will be good temp in early Jan. Hope they get back well before the Hearts, unlike the situation just before the league cup final against Ross County

monktonharp
01-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Any thoughts ?tend to agree, as well as Franks. lots of people have said we should shut down for a couple of winter weeks. getting the right weeks is the trick:wink: mind you, our chums may be in a winter Meltdown, with all these games coming after the break:wink:

Conj
02-12-2017, 09:01 AM

I've heard it's the Algarve