PDA

View Full Version : Marvin bartley

CRAZYHIBBY
28-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Just wondered what the general thoughts were on bartleys conviction.....will he be shown the door at hibs or kept on....personally i hope its the latter but with the way things are going these days im a bit worried.....hes not a player we could replace

Billy Whizz
28-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Just wondered what the general thoughts were on bartleys conviction.....will he be shown the door at hibs or kept on....personally i hope its the latter but with the way things are going these days im a bit worried.....hes not a player we could replace

Must have missed that. What was he convicted of?

Del Boy
28-11-2017, 07:51 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42160103

CRAZYHIBBY
28-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Its in the EEN...i can't post the link

Bristolhibby
28-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Threatening behaviour.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-player-marvin-bartley-convicted-of-threats-charge-1-4625621

J

-Jonesy-
28-11-2017, 07:53 PM
£400 fine, he's been stupid and that's about it, don't think any further action is required.

Velma Dinkley
28-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Sheriff Seith Ireland said: "I find, beyond reasonable doubt, the accused is guilty of this offence.
"In my view Mr Bartley can't be described as a credible and reliable witness.
"I accept everything Miss McRae says about what took place in the relationship, as it turns out, and the phone calls and behaviour of Mr Bartley."

The reports and the sheriffs summation make it sound like there wasn't any evidence and, for an unknown reason, one person's word has just been taken over another's. Neither of them have come out of it looking particularly good.

Swedish hibee
28-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Shameful behaviour from him.

Albanian Hibs
28-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Link that works please???

SRHibs
28-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Link that works please???

You could’ve just copy and pasted it, lol.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-player-marvin-bartley-convicted-of-threats-charge-1-4625621

Sir David Gray
28-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Disappointing conduct but I highly doubt he'll be sacked over it.

Hibee Mac
28-11-2017, 09:02 PM
IMO it would be ridiculous to discipline anyone over this. So unless there's something not being told here, he made a threat and said something nasty on the phone to someone. And the evidence is one word against another?? Yes he's stupid for making a threat but I'd be very disappointed to see anything come of this.

lyonhibs
28-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Really tasteless and a very nasty thing to do. He's been found guilty and hasn't come out of this looking good at all.

I don't think there'll be any further consequences, maybe an "official" apology from Marv or similar.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Really tasteless and a very nasty thing to do. He's been found guilty and hasn't come out of this looking good at all.

Wasn't his accuser's behaviour also quite nasty? :dunno:

Future17
28-11-2017, 09:22 PM
My prediction is a few posters will not cover themselves in glory on this thread.

Big_Franck
28-11-2017, 09:32 PM

I think it was. She sounds like a wee ****.

Not great behaviour by Bartley but he basically phoned a lassie and shouted at her? Terrible, lock him up and throw away the key I say.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Sadly not exactly exemplary behaviour by one of our players but not a sackable offense

But sounds a bit “he said, she said”

She was “a bit on the side” that wanted more

So he phoned her and shouted at her..... hardly crime of the century

Unseen work
28-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Very low level crime to be charged with, it is essentially a breach of the peace.

The only thing that raises it is the fact it’s a domestic incident.

These happen on a daily basis and are being reported like nobodies business at the moment.

It happens to people from all work areas and imo it should have no effect on his career.

Players, including some currently with us, have suffered worse charges.

tamig
28-11-2017, 10:32 PM
I think it was. She sounds like a wee ****.

Not great behaviour by Bartley but he basically phoned a lassie and shouted at her? Terrible, lock him up and throw away the key I say.

And sack him as well. Not Hibs class blah blah. I can’t believe some folk are seriously asking if he should be sacked. 😂

CMurdoch
28-11-2017, 11:07 PM
He's been nasty and been caught and convicted.
He has badly damaged his reputation and I suspect will suffer disproportionately.
Hopefully he will learn from it and become a better person.
It won't and nor should it affect his career as a footballer at Hibernian Football Club but it will tarnish him to some supporters and sponsors etc.

Onceinawhile
28-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Cheating on his Mrs of 5 years then threatening his bit on the side and her friends and family? None too classy at all.
It's strange because he comes across as the type of hard man who doesn't need threats etc... to get his point across, certainly on the pitch.

Very disappointing behaviour and I would hope someone at the club is making him fully aware of how he should be acting in future.

Tornadoes70
28-11-2017, 11:18 PM
He's been punished by the courts and hes a footballer not a person in a position of trust in the same vein as a person who works in social services, police force etc. I'm certainly not going to judge him for whats taken place in his private life and been punished already for by the court system. Here's hoping it doesn't affect his performance on the pitch and he has a good game against Partick.

hibby6270
28-11-2017, 11:33 PM
If the club thought it was serious, they would have done something before the court case was heard. For example, suspend him internally and not play him. That’s not been the case, so I’d be surprised if they suddenly did take action now he’s been found guilty of what is a relatively minor offence.

Having said that though, in this day and age, it just goes to show that you can’t act like a tw@t and think you’ll get away with it because circumstances aren’t how you want them to be. He could have dealt with the situation better no matter how incensed or upset he was.

Firestarter
29-11-2017, 12:31 AM
Boy falls out with ex. Ex accuses footballer of ****, footballer who probably loved his ex in a way takes the ****.

Firestarter
29-11-2017, 12:33 AM
He's been punished by the courts and hes a footballer not a person in a position of trust in the same vein as a person who works in social services, police force etc. I'm certainly not going to judge him for whats taken place in his private life and been punished already for by the court system. Here's hoping it doesn't affect his performance on the pitch and he has a good game against Partick.

This has been going on since the summer and he has the backing of the manager. Enough for me. Marv is a brilliant guy who does loads for lots of others without playing the charity card.

heretoday
29-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Doncha just love these types of threads!

NAE NOOKIE
29-11-2017, 02:26 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42160103

It seems from that report that Marv was trying it on with this girl but when it became clear he wasn't going to dump his girlfriend for her she decided his girlfriend, as she put it 'had a right to know' ... or to put it another way 'he's not going to ditch her for me I'll show that ******* he cant mess with me, I'll tip off his girlfriend, that'll show him'

There's no excusing Bartley threatening her in the way he apparently did, he could have handled it better .... But hell hath no fury like a woman scorned as they say.

lyonhibs
29-11-2017, 06:27 AM

She's not a Hibs player though so I'm not too fussed with what she did/didn't do or say. Anyway, love Big Marv as a player but as a person he's had a big lapse of judgement here but I suppose haven't we all to one degree or another at times.

Not after a witch hunt or anything daft. I suspect a strong word in his ear from the club should suffice.

Since90+2
29-11-2017, 06:44 AM
It seems from that report that Marv was trying it on with this girl but when it became clear he wasn't going to dump his girlfriend for her she decided his girlfriend, as she put it 'had a right to know' ... or to put it another way 'he's not going to ditch her for me I'll show that ******* he cant mess with me, I'll tip off his girlfriend, that'll show him'

There's no excusing Bartley threatening her in the way he apparently did, he could have handled it better .... But hell hath no fury like a woman scorned as they say.

Sums it up for me. It's probably a situation that's happened countless times in relationships over the years.

Big Marv doesn't come out of it smelling of roses but it's hardly crime of the century.

To suggest he would be sacked for it is crazy IMO.

Kojock
29-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Man makes mistake, man gets punished, man learns from mistake, man gets on with life. So should we.

Betty Boop
29-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Ha ha ha serves him right. Cheats never prosper.

Billychaotic182
29-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Man makes mistake, man gets punished, man learns from mistake, man gets on with life. So should we.

Mans not hot

Cabbage East
29-11-2017, 09:34 AM
The amount of folk judging him based on what a jilted ex has said about him. We'd all be screwed if everyone believed what their ex said about them. Wanting him sacked ffs!

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2017, 09:39 AM
The amount of folk judging him based on what a jilted ex has said about him. We'd all be screwed if everyone believed what their ex said about them. Wanting him sacked ffs!

Nobody on this thread has said they want him sacked. :confused:

hhibs
29-11-2017, 12:35 PM
My prediction is a few posters will not cover themselves in glory on this thread.

Indeed,pretty sure the righteous will froth away.

hughio
29-11-2017, 12:39 PM
You were badly advised to defend this case Marvin.

Good guy.

Great player

Let's all move on.

andybev1
29-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Doncha just love these types of threads!

like yourself, NO!

Arch Stanton
30-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Your words have been troubling me, I'm afraid, and I don't want to start one of those big long hibs.net debates, but it seems to me you could as easilly have made the same comments about Tom Robinson in "To Kill A Mocking Bird".

While I really take the side of abused women and their need for justice despite the want of supporting evidence, I do object to the judges comments as reported -

"Mr Bartley can’t be described as a credible and reliable witness."

“I accept everything Miss McRae says about what took place in the relationship".

Now, maybe he explained how he came by these opinions and this wasn't reported in the article, in which case, shame on the journalist, but if he didn't then shame on him.

I remember Monty Python was sued for the rights of MP and the Holy Grail (I think) and the judge repported Michael Palin as not being a credible and reliable witness - he said it was because he prevaricated and contradicted himself - so, I understood and accepted his conclusion.

How the judge came to his opinion in MB's case I guess I'll never know. For all I know he is just another of those righteous-sounding racists.

brianmc
30-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Surely the other party in this case was also a cheat?
Your point makes no sense.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Your words have been troubling me, I'm afraid, and I don't want to start one of those big long hibs.net debates, but it seems to me you could as easilly have made the same comments about Tom Robinson in "To Kill A Mocking Bird".

While I really take the side of abused women and their need for justice despite the want of supporting evidence, I do object to the judges comments as reported -

“I accept everything Miss McRae says about what took place in the relationship".

Now, maybe he explained how he came by these opinions and this wasn't reported in the article, in which case, shame on the journalist, but if he didn't then shame on him.

I remember Monty Python was sued for the rights of MP and the Holy Grail (I think) and the judge repported Michael Palin as not being a credible and reliable witness - he said it was because he prevaricated and contradicted himself - so, I understood and accepted his conclusion.

How the judge came to his opinion in MB's case I guess I'll never know. For all I know he is just another of those righteous-sounding racists.All we have to go on is "what" was said. We don't know "how" it was said.

We can all form our views about the reliability of what people are telling us if we are in their company.... body language, eye contact, voice intonation, poor delivery etc . In a case of "my word against theirs", that's probably the only way the sheriff could make such a judgement.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
30-11-2017, 07:53 PM
The imposition of a mere £400 fine shows how the Sheriff actually viewed the offence - despite how it's been reported.

Sammy7nil
30-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Surely the other party in this case was also a cheat?
Your point makes no sense.

I think he is talking about MB cheating on his partner.

shetlandhibee
30-11-2017, 07:57 PM
:top marks
Very low level crime to be charged with, it is essentially a breach of the peace.

The only thing that raises it is the fact it’s a domestic incident.

These happen on a daily basis and are being reported like nobodies business at the moment.

It happens to people from all work areas and imo it should have no effect on his career.

Players, including some currently with us, have suffered worse charges.

Sammy7nil
30-11-2017, 07:59 PM

How the judge came to his opinion in MB's case I guess I'll never know. For all I know he is just another of those righteous-sounding racists.

I think it is quite easy to say someone is not a credible witness when you have heard their testimony live. Having said that I know nothing about this but why might the Sheriff a racist?

Arch Stanton
30-11-2017, 08:28 PM
I think it is quite easy to say someone is not a credible witness when you have heard their testimony live. Having said that I know nothing about this but why might the Sheriff a racist?[

Since neither of us know how exactly he came to his opinion then being a racist is as good an explanation as any, is what I'm saying. Most people would give an explanation as the judge in the Monty Python case did.

Arch Stanton
30-11-2017, 08:33 PM
All we have to go on is "what" was said. We don't know "how" it was said.

We can all form our views about the reliability of what people are telling us if we are in their company.... body language, eye contact, voice intonation, poor delivery etc . In a case of "my word against theirs", that's probably the only way the sheriff could make such a judgement.

I'm sorry, but we could have known HOW it was said if the judge had bothered to tell us - no?

Sammy7nil
30-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Since neither of us know how exactly he came to his opinion then being a racist is as good an explanation as any, is what I'm saying. Most people would give an explanation as the judge in the Monty Python case did.

A very strange thing to say IMHO.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2017, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry, but we could have known HOW it was said if the judge had bothered to tell us - no?He doesn't need to tell "us". He simply told the Court what he thought of the two witnesses. He's the sheriff, and he made the judgment on the basis of what he heard and saw.

Is he white, by the way?

Arch Stanton
30-11-2017, 09:07 PM
He doesn't need to tell "us". He simply told the Court what he thought of the two witnesses. He's the sheriff, and he made the judgment on the basis of what he heard and saw.

Is he white, by the way?

WTF?

There is really no need for the law of this country to be transparent?

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2017, 09:16 PM
WTF?

There is really no need for the law of this country to be transparent?Not sure where you got that from what i said.

The sheriff's duty is to deliver his verdict to the Court. He did, and gave his reasons. I'm not sure what else you would want him to do.

If MB, or his legal advice, think that there is a racial angle to this.....and they're in a much better position to have an opinion on that than anyone else....they will no doubt take the appropriate action.

Arch Stanton
30-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Not sure where you got that from what i said.

The sheriff's duty is to deliver his verdict to the Court. He did, and gave his reasons. I'm not sure what else you would want him to do.

If MB, or his legal advice, think that there is a racial angle to this.....and they're in a much better position to have an opinion on that than anyone else....they will no doubt take the appropriate action.

I just don't agree that he gave his reasons. He didn't accept anything he said and he did accept everything she said is not what I would call giving reasons in a judiciary fashion.

Just find him guilty and all the rest follows, doesn't it?

Kojock
30-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Are you for real, racist, really? The sheriff who has probably sat through numerous trials and listened to hundreds of witnesses concludes that Marvin is not a credible witness and you have the audacity to come on here and question their integrity without any foundation. Be careful what you say.

wookie70
30-11-2017, 09:56 PM
The other party had a witness to one of the calls. The witness sounds like he said she was being angry to but pointed out Marv's threats. Sounds to me like the judge thought two words were better than one. It's a tricky one but if what she has said is true, and the court believed her, then he deserves his conviction. If I got done for this at work I think I would be sacked. It is no worse than Boyle's Drink Driving offense in my eyes which could definitely have led to something really bad happening. I think it is up to our management team to decide if it is serious enough to be sacked. He should definitely be disciplined by the club as he has brought our good name into disrepute. Difficult for Lennon given how many times he has been threatened up to and including bullets in the post and actual assault. Not something he can really condone.

Miss McRae's work colleague David Randall told the court he was working with her on January 13 this year when she received a call from Bartley which she took in her car using the Bluetooth feature in the vehicle.
The 25-year-old recruitment worker said Bartley "was angry, loud - louder than conversational" and said "they've mugged me off" when talking about staff at her work.
He added: "He started making accusations towards Ainsley that she'd been lying - I think it had something to do with his girlfriend.
"He started saying he felt as though she was trying to ruin his life.
"He said he'd try and ruin her life the way she was trying to ruin his life.
"It clearly was a threat.

"During the phone call it was sort of heightening her emotions. She was getting accused of being a liar.
"He used the term, 'protect the people around you' - that's clearly another threat.
"They just kind of swore at each other then one of them ended the phone call."
Randall said Miss McRae was "upset and crying" after the call and that she too had been aggressive during the call, but the aggression had initially come "from the male voice" which was a London accent.
He said he had never met Bartley in person and did not know for sure who the call was with but later told the court he understood Miss McRae had been talking to "Marvin".
Today Bartley gave evidence in his own defence, telling the court he and Sasha were "on a break" at the time he met Miss McRae but that he told her he had a girlfriend.
He claimed he had only ever met Miss McRae twice before going to her work and phoning her a few times on the day in question.
He described himself as "a polite young gentleman" and denied he was "angry" with her for telling his girlfriend about them, adding: "I was disappointed."
He denied he had been looking for "a friend with benefits" when he began speaking to Miss McRae, denied he "had been caught out" and said she had sent him topless pictures of herself.

poolman
30-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Shown the door :confused:

What for :rolleyes:

Tornadoes70
30-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Are you for real, racist, really? The sheriff who has probably sat through numerous trials and listened to hundreds of witnesses concludes that Marvin is not a credible witness and you have the audacity to come on here and question their integrity without any foundation. Be careful what you say.

To be fair to Crabis the Judge could well have underlying well hidden untoward thoughts of any kind. Its easier to hide nasty sides to a persona when in positions of power and authority because folk want to believe in the integrity of the powers that be. The only way to catch out a Judge who had such a devious veiled nature would be to cross reference their history of judgement's made under similar circumstances.

I'm not agreeing with Crabis as there is zero evidence to augment his suggestions I'm merely saying most folk even Judges are capable of having a well hidden from view narrow viewpoint which can distort their thinking.

Eaststandee
01-12-2017, 02:54 AM
This thread reeks

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2017, 03:32 AM
****my, nasty and classless from Bartley. Thought more of him. Also insipid, pathetic and manipulative from his victim.

Will be the butt of Jambo jokes - deservedly - for some time.

I'm not quite sure whether I'm in the bin him/or he made a mistake and paid category.

spike220
01-12-2017, 06:38 AM
I think the wise words of GOC apply here!

Beefster
01-12-2017, 06:50 AM
Since neither of us know how exactly he came to his opinion then being a racist is as good an explanation as any, is what I'm saying.

I’m sorry but throwing around baseless accusations of racism isn’t as good an explanation of any. It’s a completely random stab in the dark as a result of knowing very little about the trial other than the result and Bartley’s skin colour.

matty_f
01-12-2017, 06:54 AM
I’m sorry but throwing around baseless accusations of racism isn’t as good an explanation of any. It’s a completely random stab in the dark as a result of knowing very little about the trial other than the result and Bartley’s skin colour.

:agree:

JimBHibees
01-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Couldnt agree more what a crock.

Sammy7nil
01-12-2017, 07:26 AM
He doesn't need to tell "us". He simply told the Court what he thought of the two witnesses. He's the sheriff, and he made the judgment on the basis of what he heard and saw.

Is he white, by the way?

That is correct the Sheriff may be went into to great detail that was not reported. If we had been in court we would have heard all he / she had to say.

hibsbollah
01-12-2017, 07:27 AM
I think the wise words of GOC apply here!

I don't see what 'Mr Johnson, J-O-S' could sensibly bring to this case :dunno:

spike220
01-12-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't see what 'Mr Johnson, J-O-S' could sensibly bring to this case :dunno:

Gary knows

Pretty Boy
01-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Poor behaviour. He's been punished and hopefully learns a lesson from it.

Talk of racism, sacking and God knows what else is blowing things out of all proportion.

Pete
01-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Silly from Bartley.

If he’d watched the Soprano’s, he’d have known how to deal with this situation.

Velma Dinkley
02-12-2017, 03:16 AM
Some people seem to have upset themselves by pretending that someone has accused somebody else of being racist.

lapsedhibee
02-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Some people seem to have upset themselves by pretending that someone has accused somebody else of being racist.

:tee hee:

Aldo
02-12-2017, 09:22 PM
The comments made by a number of folk still living in the dark ages when it was posted by the EEN on Social Media were/are far worse than the offence committed by MB. Unfortunately he put himself in that position and has paid the price for a moment of madness. Hopefully lesson has been learnt!

Sammy7nil
03-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Yip we should just ignore it :rolleyes: