PDA

View Full Version : Grudging respect

humptiedumptie
28-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Do you dare nominate any Hearts players, past or present for whom you have high regard or indeed players of any club apart from Hibs ,in this category, in the season of good will to all. Mine would be Drew Busby with Hearts in the 70s, a granite-like player, all elbows, snotters and flailing boots and remarkably, he also played for Third Lanark.

poolman
28-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Oh-Oh

JeMeSouviens
28-11-2017, 05:21 PM
As much as he has always been a daftie and latterly went off the rails and did some total ******** stuff, I remember Gazza absolutely lording it over us in a 4-1 defeat against the foul Old Huns at ER. I don't think I've seen as complete a midfield performance before or since. ****. :rolleyes:

Was that grudging enough? :wink:

Sir David Gray
28-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Albert Kidd.

Thread closed.

FranckSuzy
28-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Albert Kidd.

Thread closed.

:top marksHowever, I raise you Gary Mackay. For his medal haul alone, never mind the respect he showed to fellow players from BME backgrounds, I feel he deserves an honourable mention.

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Kenny The cat 0-7

hibeemikey21
28-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Got to admit that Jean-Louis Valois’ performance in the de vries 5-1 game was something special. Thankfully, those days of fearing/dreading derbies are long gone.

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Robbie Neilson.

GloryGlory
28-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Do you dare nominate any Hearts players, past or present for whom you have high regard or indeed players of any club apart from Hibs ,in this category, in the season of good will to all. Mine would be Drew Busby with Hearts in the 70s, a granite-like player, all elbows, snotters and flailing boots and remarkably, he also played for Third Lanark.

Drew Busby? I'd keep that under your hat if I were you! :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Had a great fall.....

Eaststand
28-11-2017, 05:36 PM
I can't remember the name of the Hertz captain who led his team to a glorious league and cup double in 1986, but whoever he was, he must surely be up there with the likes of Drew Busby's moustache

GGTTH

ED Hibee
28-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Jason Cummings.

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Aye ok Craig, try and defend your tactics on KB not here ;)

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Bookies shut?

hhibs
28-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Yep,I would second that.

snooky
28-11-2017, 05:49 PM

I got it. :wink:

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 05:52 PM
🎩🎩

Aldo
28-11-2017, 05:52 PM
I hate (and yes hate is a very very harsh word) them all however Presselly, Hartley and Gordon took the Scottish Cup into an Edinburgh Hospice where my friends Father was residing when they beat Gretna in Final.

They gentleman in question fell asleep with the cup in his arms and sadly never woke! [emoji22].

So hate as players but decent and really decent to do this imho. They all attended his funeral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooster
28-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Are my eyes deceiving me? Is this a thread about our favourite hearts player? If it is we are going soft......toughen up!!

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Jim Jeffries, 0-7 6-2 5-1 he was at them all.

snooky
28-11-2017, 05:59 PM

What a hattrick! Will it ever be beaten?

Leith Green
28-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Hello Humptie Dumptie .. Hello wee pal 👍💚

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2017, 06:01 PM
What a hattrick! Will it ever be beaten?

I bloody hope so. :greengrin

Golden Bear
28-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Sound guy is Jim. Played golf with him on a few occasions and he doesn't mind chatting about football.

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Aye ok Craig, try and defend your tactics on KB not here ;)

1van Sprou7e
28-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Hahahaha *****ing hell, I knew he was manager for the 6-2 and 5-1 but I had no idea he played in the 7-0 as well :faf:

IGRIGI
28-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Hate myself for saying it but I can't help but applaud Medals Mackay and Levein for the way they led their team to a League and Cup double in 86.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Ken Garland did a marvellous job of keeping the score down to 7.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
Sound guy is Jim. Played golf with him on a few occasions and he doesn't mind chatting about football.

Never met him, did you ever ask him about the 7-0 game, i'd love to hear some of their lot talk about that game. :greengrin

we are hibs
Hahahaha *****ing hell, I knew he was manager for the 6-2 and 5-1 but I had no idea he played in the 7-0 as well :faf:

Im sure he was captain that day too

lyonhibs
28-11-2017, 06:08 PM
For their on pitch exploits? Not sodding likely.

Off pitch, Robertson putting his head above the parapet in the Mercer takeover days was decent.

1van Sprou7e
28-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Apparently it was Eddie Thompson unfortunately

Eddie Thomson (http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/thomsoneddie.html)

Eddie Thomson (http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/thomsoneddie.html)

Leith Green
28-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Mines would be from the naughties .. Arise Sir Graham Rix , his work with the youngsters in this era was vastly underrated by his own clubs supporters and his input undoubtedly encouraged the likes of young Craigie boy Thomson .. Blood doesnt show on a maroon jersey mind 😉

sadtom
28-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Cant think of a single hertzs player i've ever wished to see in a Hibs jersey.
As far as grudging respect goes, then wee fat Robbo for speaking out against the FTB and supporting the HoH campaign.
I also had a warped admiration for the big Italian psycho Bruno. As far as being a total thug on the park i always thought he excelled at it.

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Agree him on stage at the HOH rally at the Usher hall. Mercer went mad

Hiber-nation
28-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Haha, if you'd said Jim Cruickshank then fair enough but Drew Busby....aye nice one pal. :bye:

Lago
28-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Alex Young, fine player for Hearts & Everton.

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Are my eyes deceiving me? Is this a thread about our favourite hearts player? If it is we are going soft......toughen up!!

Without Neilson there was no Scottish Cup win.

jacomo
28-11-2017, 06:18 PM
I hate (and yes hate is a very very harsh word) them all however Presselly, Hartley and Gordon took the Scottish Cup into an Edinburgh Hospice where my friends Father was residing when they beat Gretna in Final.

They gentleman in question fell asleep with the cup in his arms and sadly never woke! [emoji22].

So hate as players but decent and really decent to do this imho. They all attended his funeral!

Weren't these guys the Riccarton Three?!

GloryGlory
28-11-2017, 06:19 PM
I got it. :wink:

Thanks.

http://hatguide.co.uk/busby/

This is for the young yins. :greengrin

PS Snooky - sorry if you're also a young yin! :wink:

Aldo
28-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Weren't these guys the Riccarton Three?!

Indeed they were!

SirDavidsNapper
28-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Djoum. Excellent player. Hope he stays at Hearts for years to come 🤞

Sir David Gray
28-11-2017, 06:25 PM

That the boy from Cameroon who's never won a derby in maroon?

givescotlandfreedom
28-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Zaliukas scored the winner with a great strike at ER. I had to take my hat off to that.

MrSmith
28-11-2017, 06:27 PM
The team of 86 were pretty good. Best against Dundee though :na na:

I tell you what, I'd have lost a fortune had it not been for AK!!! Bet up with my Hearts supporting pal right to the wire and double or nothing against Dundee!! Won a couple of quid on the SC cup final though when Aberdeen beat them :aok:

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Zaliukas scored the winner with a great strike at ER. I had to take my hat off to that.

**** off. He's a ****.

I respect all the current Hearts team for shamelessly taking a wage and then subjecting their fans to utter dross each week.

Their best 2 performances have been goalless draws.

1van Sprou7e
**** off. He's a ****.

wooosh

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 06:30 PM
wooosh

Probably but point still stands. He's a ****.

JE89
28-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Tin hat on but Skacel was very good for them. Scored plenty of goals for them, fans loved him and we hated him. I’m ready for the abuse but I respect him as a professional.

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 06:32 PM
I respect all the current Hearts team for shamelessly taking a wage and then subjecting their fans to utter dross each week.

Their best 2 performances have been goalless draws.

That left back that some poster on here started calling me racist ripping the arse out them on a 3 year deal is admirable. That huddy from Nigeria. How he got a massive deal is amaing and even better was they where all creaming themselves then having a go at the sfa for holding up this World Cup stars work permit.

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Tin hat on but Skacel was very good for them. Scored plenty of goals for them, fans loved him and we hated him. I’m ready for the abuse but I respect him as a professional.

Aye, was amazing watching him wind up us any opportunity he could. He's a big nosed prick.

This threads great, after horsing them so many times I forgot how much I can't stand them.

snooky
28-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Hand grenade!!!!! Everybody down.

:duck:

Northernhibee
28-11-2017, 06:36 PM
I always thought Jamie McDonald was a decent keeper and he doesn't seem to be much of a **** either, unlike a lot of Jambo players.

Sir David Gray
28-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Aye ok.

If you mean how unprofessional he was then I respected his professionalism against us too.

Utter **** of a man.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Speechless..... :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
28-11-2017, 06:40 PM

He didn't even respect hearts as he leeched the cash off them during and after his spell with them.

Ringothedog
28-11-2017, 06:41 PM

He was a thug in a crap hearts team, despised him like all players that pull on that blooded turd coloured strip

Joe6-2
28-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Had a great fall.....

😂😂😂

matty_f
28-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Craig Levein for taking one for the team and handing Celtc the title in '86.

JimBHibees
28-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Always thought Craig Gordon was a great professional and would never try and get a fellow pro sent off.

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Can’t work out if this a fishing trip and by what side 😂😂😂

Billy Whizz
28-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Always thought Craig Gordon was a great professional and would never try and get a fellow pro sent off.

After the Dean Shiels incident at Tynie

HIBBYSTU T
28-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Never met him, did you ever ask him about the 7-0 game, i'd love to hear some of their lot talk about that game. :greengrin
I worked in Donald parks Hotel ,my Boss told me not to mention 7-0 game to him , it was hard not to
He was A dour man.

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Oldest player to still have plukes

--------
28-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Alfie Conn, Willie Bauld, Jimmy Wardhaugh - magical forwards.

Dave Mackay and John Cumming - two terrific wing-halves.

Alec Young - great inside forward.

Jim Cruikshank - not the tallest, but a very sound keeper.

Plenty respect for them and others of their era, but none for anyone post-1970.

Some of the names mentioned here? Have a hard look, people. Slime deserves no respect at all.

JimBHibees
28-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Was a poor attempt at a joke. :greengrin

AltheHibby
28-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Gordon Smith. He has to be a legend on both sides of both Edinburgh and Dundee.

Nameless
28-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Not bothered if this thread is a wind up, I'll happily admit the following - when I was younger, 4 of my favourite players were ;

Jorg Albertz
Jorge Cadette
Brian Laudrup
Gary Naysmith

Between 1995 and 2000 there were players up here that would have done a job in any of the top 4 leagues in Europe.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Smartie
28-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I actually had a bit of respect for Paul Hartley.

He copped dogs abuse off us but never resorted to the type of crap that the truly odious Skacel did.

He did his talking on the pitch and put in some superb performances against us and I'll always have a bit of respect for him for that.

Cretins like Skacel don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those select few people who actually manage to earn the respect of opposition fans.

snooky
28-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Gordon Smith. He has to be a legend on both sides of both Edinburgh and Dundee.

I hear you ATH but FWIW, I don't feel Gordon Smith quite comes under the "grudging respect" banner.
Legend to all.

DickieDastardly
28-11-2017, 07:48 PM
So possibly a rogue thread but actually John Robertson; first and foremost because he attended the HoH rally at Usher Hall and had the strength of character to sit at the top table in blatant defiance of Mercer; secondly despite all the goals he scored against us he never struck me has having a bitterness towards Hibs - was just a pro footballer doing his job.

Just my my opinion of course and for the record I’m not a YAK in disguise....

Leith's finest
28-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Think Alan Anderson was captain that day, led them all the way from the pivot bar so the story goes

givescotlandfreedom
28-11-2017, 08:05 PM
He's not a Jambo in the true sense but Stevie Fulton could at least have a bit of banter. Jamie MacDonald too would have a joke with Hibs fans, even at Killie there. Sometimes it's all too serious.

AgentDaleCooper
28-11-2017, 08:07 PM
what was the 5-1 game?

Eyrie
28-11-2017, 08:09 PM
what was the 5-1 game?
League Cup Final in 2007.

stantonhibby
28-11-2017, 08:09 PM
what was the 5-1 game?

Final v Killie

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2017, 08:11 PM

HFCdeb
28-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Alexander Tziolis he came to Hearts to teach Hibs a footballing lesson. Respect.

YehButNoBut
28-11-2017, 08:19 PM
John Brough was a good mate of mine, was a good lad from Craigentinny.

I'm sure we tried to sign him around the time he lost his place to Henry Smith as we were desperate for a decent goalie at the time but Hearts would not let him come to us, he ended up at Partick.

Deansy
28-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Until Busby and Des Bremner (great player and stick-thin !) both went for a 50-50 ball during a (New Year ?) derby-game - result was Bremner up-and-running after a minute's treatment whereas Busby was stretchered-off !!

ehf
28-11-2017, 08:22 PM

:agree: put in some shift in the replay at ER in February; covered every blade of grass (in a 2 metre square area on the left touch line, near the centre), thought about making a challenge once, almost touched the ball on a couple of occasions.

jabis
28-11-2017, 08:22 PM
He's not a Jambo in the true sense but Stevie Fulton could at least have a bit of banter. Jamie MacDonald too would have a joke with Hibs fans, even at Killie there. Sometimes it's all too serious.

East stand......booked for being ugly........won't hear a bad word against the guy.

AltheHibby
28-11-2017, 08:24 PM
I hear you ATH but FWIW, I don't feel Gordon Smith quite comes under the "grudging respect" banner.
Legend to all.

Good point. 👍

matty_f
28-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Bit of grudging respect for their new stand, in an era where architecture is crisp and modern, it's gone balls-out retro with a seventies chic look.

It would have been easy for it to be a humourless bus stop your stand like the rest of the **** hole surrounding it, but no, it went big on laughs and frankly I think that has to be respected.

Ringothedog
28-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Until Busby and Des Bremner (great player and stick-thin !) both went for a 50-50 ball during a (New Year ?) derby-game - result was Bremner up-and-running after a minute's treatment whereas Busby was stretchered-off !!

Busby tried to be a hard man and failed miserably

Just Alf
28-11-2017, 08:41 PM
East stand......booked for being ugly........won't hear a bad word against the guy.Few years ago I was on a night oot in his company, he was speaking to one of my Jambo mates and said how he (and most of the team at the time) enjoyed the Edinburgh banter, both during the game and at night "up town" ... On the other hand they apparently all hated the old firm fans and when anyone was transfer linked to them they used to laugh and wind 'em up.

They still took the money though!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Oscar T Grouch
28-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Jim Cruikshank was a gentleman and a fine keeper. He had the opportunity to rip the p!sh oota me a number of times when they humped us and chose not to. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have had the same grace if roles were reversed.

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Was a poor attempt at a joke. :greengrin

He's pretty decent at rugby tho!

Firestarter
28-11-2017, 08:53 PM
what was the 5-1 game?

Mothers Day 2007

snooky
28-11-2017, 08:54 PM
:hijack:

From Beeb sports page & slightly off subject (but still about grudges).

(Andy) Cole has since revealed that he ‘hated’ Sheringham for over a decade since his team-mate snubbed his handshake when Cole replaced Sheringham as a sub for his England debut in 1995.
“I would rather sit down and have a cuppa with Neil Ruddock, who broke my leg in two places in 1996, than with Teddy Sheringham.”

Dan Sarf
28-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Alfie Conn, Willie Bauld, Jimmy Wardhaugh - magical forwards.

Dave Mackay and John Cumming - two terrific wing-halves.

Alec Young - great inside forward.

Jim Cruikshank - not the tallest, but a very sound keeper.

Plenty respect for them and others of their era, but none for anyone post-1970.

Some of the names mentioned here? Have a hard look, people. Slime deserves no respect at all.

Great players.

Used to watch them every second Saturday (in the days when you didn't have to hate the Hearts).

All gone now, of course.

O'Rourke3
28-11-2017, 09:07 PM
My Hearts legend is the head groundsman that asked the apprentice Peter Cormack to drive the lawn mower back to its houff. Drove it into the gates and immediately sacked. Signed for Hibs the following week and the rest they say....

Jonnyboy
28-11-2017, 09:11 PM

In the immortal words of John McEnroe "you cannot be serious"

Busby was a thug, plain and simple

silverhibee
28-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Fun time.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Aye, and not a very good one, there were plenty harder than him at the time but he was a sneaky little ******* in the Ian Black mould.

surreyhibbie
28-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Jim Cruikshank. Only Jambo I ever had any time for.

Great keeper. Unfortunately for us.

erin go bragh
28-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Would rather have my gonads squeezed in a vice than pick one of they fandangs to drool over .

Bostonhibby
28-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Jim Cruikshank. Only Jambo I ever had any time for.

Great keeper. Unfortunately for us.

:agree: Met him in his bar along Rose street (?) a couple of times, he was related to a guy I was at school with and was a decent sort.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Aye, and not a very good one, there were plenty harder than him at the time but he was a sneaky little ******* in the Ian Black mould.

Tried his best to break both Bobby Smith's and Arthur Duncan's legs late on in an EOS Shield game at ER. Only broke Bobby's shinpad but gave Arthur a nasty one.

snooky
28-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Tried his best to break both Bobby Smith's and Arthur Duncan's legs late on in an EOS Shield game at ER. Only broke Bobby's shinpad but gave Arthur a nasty one.

I remember a Hibs player (could have been Paddy?) saying at a question/answer time that Busby was the player he hated playing against the most. Judging by the comments in previous posts, we know exactly why.

Jonnyboy
28-11-2017, 09:38 PM

:agree:

Santa Cruz
28-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Might not be popular to some but John Robertson. Hated him when he played, but was the only Hearts man that stopped and spoke to all the Hibs mascots and their families at the dugouts before a New Years game a few year ago (Terry Butcher era, we win 1-0 I think). Told me he had one laddie in the east and another in the Hearts end that night. Took the time to speak to every person and get photos with anyone that asked.

StevieC
28-11-2017, 10:33 PM
My first taste of derby games game in the late '70s, and a player that offered pace and skill in a poor Hearts team was Eamonn Bannon.
I know that his best years were at Dundee United but if I had to give grudging respect to a Hearts player then it would probably be him.
In my defence I was very young, and soon learned to hate them all.

hibby6270
28-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Don’t think he’s been mentioned yet but used to grudgingly respect Donald Ford back in the 70’s.
Scored a good few goals for them but don’t recall him being that successful against us. The threat was always there though.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Haha, if you'd said Jim Cruickshank then fair enough but Drew Busby....aye nice one pal. :bye:

He was a thug in a crap hearts team, despised him like all players that pull on that blooded turd coloured strip

Jamesie
28-11-2017, 10:48 PM

Met Jefferies myself a few times and have to say he was decent company.

Hibbyradge
28-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Ralph Callaghan.

silverhibee
29-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Donald Park

monktonharp
29-11-2017, 12:25 AM
Do you dare nominate any Hearts players, past or present for whom you have high regard or indeed players of any club apart from Hibs ,in this category, in the season of good will to all. Mine would be Drew Busby with Hearts in the 70s, a granite-like player, all elbows, snotters and flailing boots and remarkably, he also played for Third Lanark.for this, or him in his self I have got to say, bolt. an absolute thug of a gorgie loving thuggery; and No. I would not wish anything nice or happy to them, this year or any other year. I would like to see Gary Locke though, strapped up as a Reindeer, and whipped to within an inch of death while trying to pull Santa,s Sleigh up Easter Rod (top section) against the flow of one way traffic that is now there!

Haymaker
29-11-2017, 01:08 AM
:hijack:

From Beeb sports page & slightly off subject (but still about grudges).

(Andy) Cole has since revealed that he ‘hated’ Sheringham for over a decade since his team-mate snubbed his handshake when Cole replaced Sheringham as a sub for his England debut in 1995.
“I would rather sit down and have a cuppa with Neil Ruddock, who broke my leg in two places in 1996, than with Teddy Sheringham.”

Yep, hates him. :agree:

Romario and Stoichkov hated each other too... Smashed goals though as a pair.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-11-2017, 03:29 AM
Might not be popular to some but John Robertson. Hated him when he played, but was the only Hearts man that stopped and spoke to all the Hibs mascots and their families at the dugouts before a New Years game a few year ago (Terry Butcher era, we win 1-0 I think). Told me he had one laddie in the east and another in the Hearts end that night. Took the time to speak to every person and get photos with anyone that asked.

Yes, Robbo for showing his true colours at the Hands off Hibs rally at the Usher Hall speaking out against the bid in support of the Hibees.

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Robbo.

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Never saw them play live but
Dave Mackay
Alex Young
Gordon Smith
Willie Hamilton

rodhibs55
29-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Jim Cruikshank wasn't a bad lad when he was manager of Ma Scott's in Rose street. (No a bad keeper to to be fair)

Mixu62
29-11-2017, 07:57 AM
No love on here for Brian Hamilton?! Lol.

green day
29-11-2017, 07:59 AM
The only Jambos I admire are those that chose to sit behind the police box in the new mega stand to avoid their eyes bleeding.

Outside of that? They are pretty unfashionable as a support, generally look a bit repressed - probably only use the missionary position and only then after taking the missus to "The Digurrs" to celebrate special occasions (anniversary of their European cup win).

WeeRussell
29-11-2017, 09:25 AM
In more recent times I never really had any issue with jamie Hamilton. Seemed to keep himself to himself and behave pretty professionally against us (despite the obvious abuse from behind the goals) and always recall him having a bit of “banter” with sparky.. who pinged a few good goals past him!

Greencore
29-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Jason Cummings.

Sir David Gray
29-11-2017, 09:36 AM
In more recent times I never really had any issue with jamie Hamilton. Seemed to keep himself to himself and behave pretty professionally against us (despite the obvious abuse from behind the goals) and always recall him having a bit of “banter” with sparky.. who pinged a few good goals past him!

Good thinking - mention a Jambo who doesn't actually exist and hope no-one notices. You come across as gracious but at the same time you're saving your dignity by not actually naming a real Hearts player that you actually respect!

Well played sir. :aok:

Ringothedog
29-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Ralph Callaghan.

Callachan :tsk tsk:

Pete
29-11-2017, 10:02 AM
I have quite a lot of respect for a lot of them as I was taken to watch them quite a bit when I was younger. Gasp away.

The Terrible trio, it goes without saying they have respect along with Dave McKay and Cumming. Fifties greats should be above club rivalry.

Their team in the eighties was good and should have won something. Henry Smith was a good keeper, Levein was silky and Robertson was one of the best finishers in Scotland.

Jeffries’ team in the nineties had good young players (Cameron, McCann, their two full backs among others)and played good football.

They had plenty good players during the Romanov era but this is where any sort of respect ends for me. Instead of dealing with their debt they went on a fantasy trip, usurping one of our best teams full of young, self produced players in the process. They also became a lot more nauseating and arrogant as a fan base, using these triumphs (which they still haven’t paid for) as justification when trying to belittle us. Maybe it’s the growth of the internet that's really highlighted it.

**** them, every arrogant fan they have, every one of their players and every ship they sail in. They are totally unrecognisable to the club they were even 15 years ago.

WeeRussell
29-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Good thinking - mention a Jambo who doesn't actually exist and hope no-one notices. You come across as gracious but at the same time you're saving your dignity by not actually naming a real Hearts player that you actually respect!

Well played sir. :aok:

Wel noticed - exactly what I was doing, and nothing to do with not remembering MacDonald's name properly while half asleep on the train this morning :greengrin

Bostonhibby
29-11-2017, 11:40 AM
I have quite a lot of respect for a lot of them as I was taken to watch them quite a bit when I was younger. Gasp away.

The Terrible trio, it goes without saying they have respect along with Dave McKay and Cumming. Fifties greats should be above club rivalry.

Their team in the eighties was good and should have won something. Henry Smith was a good keeper, Levein was silky and Robertson was one of the best finishers in Scotland.

Jeffries’ team in the nineties had good young players (Cameron, McCann, their two full backs among others)and played good football.

They had plenty good players during the Romanov era but this is where any sort of respect ends for me. Instead of dealing with their debt they went on a fantasy trip, usurping one of our best teams full of young, self produced players in the process. They also became a lot more nauseating and arrogant as a fan base, using these triumphs (which they still haven’t paid for) as justification when trying to belittle us. Maybe it’s the growth of the internet that's really highlighted it.

**** them, every arrogant fan they have, every one of their players and every ship they sail in. They are totally unrecognisable to the club they were even 15 years ago.

:top marks From Mercer onward they have changed beyond recognition, a combination of arrogance and delusion shamelessly built on debt and other peoples misfortune that they have profited from. They are on the verge of being back where they belong on merit alone and all they've got to show for it is one odd looking stand, the stigma of the administration and a very poor football team.

leithsansiro
29-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Although I would happily hate him on the pitch, John Robertson always seemed a decent guy off it. He understood the rivalry in a positive way and understood how to be a club icon without needing to goad us. Think how he differs from someone like Rudi Skacel.

I remember seeing him up town at the shops one evening during a week after he'd scored in yet another derby loss for us. My pal was a hearts fan, and so approached him for an autograph and he had all the time in the world for him. He asked me who I supported and, in response to me saying, simply shook his head and smiled "well, I'm sorry about that".

Not many players would have that kind of attitude nowadays.

Michael
29-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Goncalves for graciously waiting for Efe to get back into position before taking a shot in the last derby. Great sportsmanship.

JimBHibees
29-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Although I would happily hate him on the pitch, John Robertson always seemed a decent guy off it. He understood the rivalry in a positive way and understood how to be a club icon without needing to goad us. Think how he differs from someone like Rudi Skacel.

I remember seeing him up town at the shops one evening during a week after he'd scored in yet another derby loss for us. My pal was a hearts fan, and so approached him for an autograph and he had all the time in the world for him. He asked me who I supported and, in response to me saying, simply shook his head and smiled "well, I'm sorry about that".

Not many players would have that kind of attitude nowadays.

Most of his family are Hibees though are they not.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Most of his family are Hibees though are they not.Agree all the positive stuff re John. His family contains a number of hibbies and he supported Hibs at school.

iwasthere1972
29-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Ernie Winchester.

hhibs
29-11-2017, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=vince1973;5231342]Jim Cruikshank was a gentleman and a fine keeper. He had the opportunity to rip the p!sh oota me a number of times when they humped us and chose not to. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have had the same grace if roles were reversed.[/QUOT

Nice guy,dated his niece for a while.

hhibs
29-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Ernie Winchester.

If only for what had to be cheesist pose ever on any collection of football cards.

--------
29-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Absolutely. Went to them from Airdrie, IIRC, a team-mate of Jim Black, who came to us, and Drew Jarvie, who went to Aberdeen, both of whom were infinitely better footballers (and much more decent people) than Busby.

BTW I should have mentioned Ralph Callachan - you're right, an excellent midfielder and a thorough gentleman.

Perhaps also Jim Brown, who came to us in 1979 and played a lot of games for us in the promotion season 1980-81?

A former Hearts captain, I believe he captained us as well? He moved to Dunfermline where his career was ended prematurely by that thug Pelosi. Always liked Jim.

And I have to say (this is the last amendment) I've had a growing respect for Michael Stewart for the past few years. The more I hear him, the more I like him.

--------
29-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Ernie Winchester.

Another thug. Not quite as bad as Busby but a thug nevertheless.

NAE NOOKIE
29-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Robbo ..... For the HOH stuff, but also because like it or not he was a dynamite striker and he didn't feel the need to buy into the arrogance and Hibs hating to win over the fans rubbish that the likes of Skacel did.

Apart from that there have been a few players from other clubs you couldn't help but admire, but top of my list has to be Willie Miller at Aberdeen ... I hated his guts but lost count of the number of times I walked away from a Hibs v Aberdeen game wishing he played for us, there isn't a central defender in todays game who can touch him.

hibbyfraelibby
29-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Alan Gordon and Willie Hamilton and Gordon Smith

snooky
29-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Alan Gordon and Willie Hamilton and Gordon Smith

I refer to my post (#71)

Legend to all.

With all due respect, HFL, I would suggest that the two others above are also respected by Hibs fans without any 'grudges' so for that reason I don't think they really apply to this thread.

IlDiavola
29-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Agree all the positive stuff re John. His family contains a number of hibbies and he supported Hibs at school.

That's an urban myth.

He supported Liverpool as a lad.

Hibernia&Alba
29-11-2017, 04:05 PM
To give a serious answer, I would have to say John Robertson. I hated that **** as a kid, but I respected/feared him. He's responsible for a lot of unpleasant childhood memories, though not in the usual Hearts way :greengrin:wink:

Old fashioned goal poacher and very good at it. Had me in tears more than once as a boy, the ****.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2017, 04:35 PM
That's an urban myth.

He supported Liverpool as a lad.He was in the same team as my brother and a mate for quite a while and I say what I say based on first hand experience.

Either way a good man.

IlDiavola
29-11-2017, 04:38 PM
He was in the same team as my brother and a mate for quite a while and I say what I say based on first hand experience.

Either way a good man.

Didnae support Hibs though :na na:

WoreTheGreen
29-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Jimmy O his hero

Bostonhibby
29-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Didnae support Hibs though :na na:[emoji4]

Maybe he was just trying to fit in then as everyone else did.

IlDiavola
29-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Jimmy O his hero

Correct. :aok:

For his goalscoring feats.

WoreTheGreen
29-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Maybe that started "the special relationship" He was a Hibs fan but who really cares .but HOH at the Usher hall. Hats off to him

Hibrandenburg
29-11-2017, 06:07 PM
That's an urban myth.

He supported Liverpool as a lad.

Nope, I knew John about the time he just signed for Hearts and he was a Hibby.

Iggy Pope
29-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Ralph Callaghan.

Absolutely the only Hertz **** I've enjoyed seeing in a Hibs shirt. Loved the man. Still do.

Iggy Pope
29-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Absolutely the only Hertz **** I've enjoyed seeing in a Hibs shirt. Loved the man. Still do.

Apart fi Alan Gordon like.

emerald green
29-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Whilst not a Hearts player, I had a lot of respect for Ian Cathro. He did a tremendous job at the PBS until he was unfairly sacked IMO.

lapsedhibee
29-11-2017, 07:43 PM
It's Cruickshank! :grr: :panic:

weecounty hibby
29-11-2017, 07:59 PM
It's Cruickshank! :grr: :panic:

Folk are just getting confused as they have had a fair few shanks playing for them!

Albanian Hibs
29-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Sniff sniff

Forza Fred
30-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Over the years had contact with numerous players of other clubs, and two who come to mind for special mention are probably the most unloved players on this board!

Graeme Souness was gushing in his praise for us far off Hibbies, and while no doubt bust as manager of Rangers, posted a very detailed answer to some interview' questions we posed for our club magazine.
This was in the days of snail mail, and quite a lot of other 'celebs' did not respond, but full marks he took the trouble when he did not have to.

The other was John Robertson, who not only responded to our request for an interview, but supported us by donating a Hearts jersey for auction signed by him, with Robertson and the number 27 on the back...for auction.
He reckoned 27 was the number of goals he scored against us!

The dealings with him were full of respectful banter...Tis a great pity he ended up a jambo.

superfurryhibby
30-11-2017, 11:56 AM
John Brough was a good mate of mine, was a good lad from Craigentinny.

I'm sure we tried to sign him around the time he lost his place to Henry Smith as we were desperate for a decent goalie at the time but Hearts would not let him come to us, he ended up at Partick.

A good Hibee too. My mum's cousins laddie. Used to teach me sweary words when I was a boy.