PDA

View Full Version : Child friendly pubs in Maryhill?

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Heading through to Firhill on Saturday for the first time in at least 20 years - can anyone recommend a boozer in the vicinity of the ground which tolerates bairns? Think our provisional plan is to go to the Counting House for bit of grub before getting the train out, but would be good to sample some of the pre-match atmosphere in a local hostelry if possible.

CallumLaidlaw
27-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Heading through to Firhill on Saturday for the first time in at least 20 years - can anyone recommend a boozer in the vicinity of the ground which tolerates bairns? Think our provisional plan is to go to the Counting House for bit of grub before getting the train out, but would be good to sample some of the pre-match atmosphere in a local hostelry if possible.

We’re heading to the counting house too but I’m told there is a bar within the away end stand that we are allowed in so we plan on heading there beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyehibee
27-11-2017, 03:57 PM
We’re heading to a bar called Munro’s next to St George’s Cross subway which is only a 15 min walk to the stadium.

Green Man
27-11-2017, 03:57 PM

When you say you’re getting the train out do you mean the Subway? Firhill is nowhere near Maryhill railway station.

Kojock
27-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Posted by a Thistle fan.
Hi Hibbees
It’s been a few years since we played you at Firhill
The stadium has at the front the Aitken Suite/bar all Hibbees fans welcome
Opens at 12pm as well as bar it serves hot food, family seating and SKY tv - there’s about 6 tv screens so half will show any English game at lunchtime and half any live Scottish game
Thanks

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 04:11 PM
When you say you’re getting the train out do you mean the Subway? Firhill is nowhere near Maryhill railway station.

I don't know what I mean yet - getting the train to Queen Street, and just assumed we'd be getting another train out but I suppose the subway might be a better shout! I've only ever been to Firhill on supporters buses or by car in the past, so this is a new and exciting adventure I'm embarking on.

Thanks for the advice so far, to all who've replied.

timewilltell
27-11-2017, 04:12 PM

Boozer and bairns in the same sentence...??

Kojock
27-11-2017, 04:22 PM

And the problem with that is?

Fuzzywuzzy
27-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Pewter Pot is meant to be child friendly though a 15 minute walk.

18Hibee75
27-11-2017, 04:52 PM
I don't know what I mean yet - getting the train to Queen Street, and just assumed we'd be getting another train out but I suppose the subway might be a better shout! I've only ever been to Firhill on supporters buses or by car in the past, so this is a new and exciting adventure I'm embarking on.

Thanks for the advice so far, to all who've replied.The subway is miles away from the stadium. You can get a train to Partick station but not sure how far the stadium is from there. I'm going to get the train to Queen street and get a taxi to a pub near the stadium, under a ten minute drive and about £2-3 between 4 of us.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Cheers - if it is, and Munro's is also a 15 minute walk, that's no' a disaster if the weather stays dry (the 'bairns' are 13 years old). The stadium bar sounds a good shout too.

CallumLaidlaw
27-11-2017, 04:54 PM
The subway is miles away from the stadium. You can get a train to Partick station but not sure how far the stadium is from there. I'm going to get the train to Queen street and get a taxi to a pub near the stadium, under a ten minute drive and about £2-3 between 4 of us.

Subway is 1 mile from the stadium. 10-15 min walk.

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 04:56 PM
The subway is miles away from the stadium. You can get a train to Partick station but not sure how far the stadium is from there. I'm going to get the train to Queen street and get a taxi to a pub near the stadium, under a ten minute drive and about £2-3 between 4 of us.

Thanks - sounds like a taxi from the city centre might just be the job.

NGP
27-11-2017, 04:57 PM
In terms of public transport, St George's Cross subway is closest. Partick train station is miles away, Thistle are in Maryhill, not Partick. Can't help with pubs, either near Queen Street or the bar at Firhill.

GlesgaeHibby
27-11-2017, 05:12 PM
I studied at Glasgow Uni, and lived just round the corner from Firhill when in halls. We used to go to a boozer called The Strathmore...ugly looking pub, looked a bit like the Clansman, and at first we thought it would be seriously rough but it was dead friendly and had some right good characters. Just had a quick look online and looks like it's been totally transformed and now appears to be some sort of fancy wine/cocktail/gastro pub.

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Should thread title not be changed to 'Any friendly pubs in Maryhill?'

Albanian Hibs
27-11-2017, 05:17 PM

And? I was in a pub before game on Saturday with my 6 year old..and I even had 2 pints..and I am a woman 🙊 Any problem with that?

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:19 PM
And? I was in a pub before game on Saturday with my 6 year old..and I even had 2 pints..and I am a woman 🙊 Any problem with that?

:greengrin:thumbsup::greengrin

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:21 PM

Strange thing to say.

pollution
27-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Point proved.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 05:33 PM

This is Scotland, not Worcestershire. Becoming familiar with the inside of pubs starts earlier :greengrin

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:40 PM
This is Scotland, not Worcestershire. Becoming familiar with the inside of pubs starts earlier :greengrin

:party::party:

Kojock
27-11-2017, 05:47 PM

As long as they buy their round I don't have a problem.

DH1875
27-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Partick Thistle don't play in Partick. Last thing you want to do it get the train to Partick, it's miles away. If there's a few of you best just jumping in a taxi from the city centre. Only takes about 10 minutes.

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Partick Thistle don't play in Partick. Last thing you want to do is go to Partick, it's miles away. If there's a few of you best just jumping in a taxi from the city centre. Only takes about 10 minutes.

Agreed.

Partick is not a nice area.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-11-2017, 06:09 PM
You can get the bus from Hope Street, takes about 10 mins, cannae remember the no. though.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Agreed.

And Maryhill ain't Beverly Hills.

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 06:18 PM
And Maryhill ain't Beverly Hills.

Touche :thumbsup:

WHAM
27-11-2017, 06:37 PM
I studied at Glasgow Uni, and lived just round the corner from Firhill when in halls. We used to go to a boozer called The Strathmore...ugly looking pub, looked a bit like the Clansman, and at first we thought it would be seriously rough but it was dead friendly and had some right good characters. Just had a quick look online and looks like it's been totally transformed and now appears to be some sort of fancy wine/cocktail/gastro pub.

I used to absolutely love “the strathy” when I was in Murano Street Halls. At the end of 1st year the murano st committe had so many £££’s left and decided to put on a free bar every Wednesday night for the last 4 weeks in the Strathmore. Some absolute characters used to drink in there, and we had some drunken nights with the locals. As you said always pretty friendly. I thought The Crosslands (where Begbie launches the glass from the balcony) was rougher. Although both seem to be quite “trendy” now and definitely within a stroll of firhill.

In fact there are plenty good boozers within a 15-20min walk for anyone who doesn’t mind heading down towards Great Western Road, Woodlands Road or even Byres Road (slightly further). Us Westies who know the area, know we are spoiled for drinking options this game.

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 07:00 PM
I used to absolutely love “the strathy” when I was in Murano Street. At the end of 1st year the murano st committe had so many £££’s left and decided to put on a free bar every Wednesday night for the last 4 weeks in the Strathmore. Some absolute characters used to drink in there, and we had some drunken nights with the locals. As you said always pretty friendly. I thought The Crosslands (where Begbie launches the glass from the balcony) was rougher. Although both seem to be quite “trendy” now and definitely within a stroll of firhill.

In fact there are plenty good boozers within a 15-20min walk for anyone who doesn’t mind heading down towards Great Western Road, Woodlands Road or even Byres Road (slightly further). Us Westies who know the area, know we are spoiled for drinking options this game.
Do you know a pub called 'Wintersgills' on Great Western Road? Two meals for £12 and Tartan Special on draught - sounds barry!

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Do you know a pub called 'Wintersgills' on Great Western Road? Two meals for £12 and Tartan Special on draught - sounds barry!

I'm listening

GlesgaeHibby
27-11-2017, 07:03 PM
I used to absolutely love “the strathy” when I was in Murano Street. At the end of 1st year the murano st committe had so many £££’s left and decided to put on a free bar every Wednesday night for the last 4 weeks in the Strathmore. Some absolute characters used to drink in there, and we had some drunken nights with the locals. As you said always pretty friendly. I thought The Crosslands (where Begbie launches the glass from the balcony) was rougher. Although both seem to be quite “trendy” now and definitely within a stroll of firhill.

Aye, it was a great haunt. We got to the point where the barman would start pouring pints when he saw us coming in. Mind you, I started at Glasgow in 2005 and it was £1.70 for a pint of Carlsberg back then...suspect the Strathmore is very different now! Ended up in there after we'd been to a Partick v Inverness game in the cup which Partick won on penalties, with free pies galore. Was never quite brave enough to venture into the Crosslands though!

Bankie
27-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Pewter Pot closed in 2014

Lago
27-11-2017, 07:16 PM

True and that's part of the problem Scots have with alcohol.

theonlywayisup
27-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Where's the best place to park if you're planning to driver? I was hoping for a relatively quick get away onto the M8.

partickthistle
27-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Don’t know if you saw my post on another thread but the pub that is at the front of the stadium the Aiken Suite for both home and away fansis child friendly and has hot food as well as drink and SKY it’s also at the stand where the away fans sit so just a case of walking out of the pub into the stadium

partickthistle
27-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalkits only between 5-10 mins walk mate - well under a mile from St. George’s Cross underground

18Hibee75
27-11-2017, 08:24 PM
its only between 5-10 mins walk mate - well under a mile from St. George’s Cross undergroundOops. Was thinking off Partick subway Station.

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 08:53 PM
its only between 5-10 mins walk mate - well under a mile from St. George’s Cross underground

Aye, that sounds a good shout - thanks for that. Every chance we'll end up in there pre-match at some stage.

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Aye, that sounds a good shout - thanks for that. Every chance we'll end up in there pre-match at some stage.

Sorry Patrick Thistle - that was meant to be a reply to your Aiken suite post!

Albanian Hibs
27-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Point proved.

What point exactly? Where were we meant to go when our bus was booked into a pub beforehand? Wait on the bus? Or come into the pub with other kids and have a juice and a good time? Guess I better call social services eh? 😂😂😂

jgl07
27-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Agreed.

Have you been there in the last 40 years. Partick is chic West End these days.

Maryhill on the other hand.....

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Have you been there in the last 40 years. Partick is chic West End these days.

Maryhill on the other hand.....

Aye, Maryhill is auld Glesga, replete with several Rab C Nesbitt types in every street and pub :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 10:52 PM
What point exactly? Where were we meant to go when our bus was booked into a pub beforehand? Wait on the bus? Or come into the pub with other kids and have a juice and a good time? Guess I better call social services eh? 😂😂😂

There a loads of family friendly pubs now they are non-smoking; it's changed. You see kids and parents all the time these days, unlike when we were kids.

silverhibee
27-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Aye, Maryhill is auld Glesga, replete with several Rab C Nesbitt types in every street and pub :greengrin

Sure it was a St Js supporters bus that had bullet fired through the window leaving the ground a few seasons back. :shocked:

MKHIBEE
28-11-2017, 06:25 AM
There a loads of family friendly pubs now they are non-smoking; it's changed. You see kids and parents all the time these days, unlike when we were kids.
Years ago you used to see kids and parents, parents inside, kids outside.

scm70nyd1973
28-11-2017, 07:43 AM
From a Weegie Hibby now living in NZ - take the subway to Kelvinbridge- at the top of the escalator go left and over the bridge over the Kelvin ( watch out for GMS trying to go for a swim) and you will find a few child friendly places - walk back over the bridge and turn left onto North Woodside Road until you get to Maryhill Rd - turn left and head up to Queens x - you will see the ground here - 15-20 mins walk from Kelvinbridge subway station - not a bad area in Glasgow terms - if the Woodside bar is still about stop off for a pint- good Boozer - it is at junction of N Woodside and Maryhill Roads - wish I was gonna be there !

Ronniekirk
28-11-2017, 07:57 AM
And? I was in a pub before game on Saturday with my 6 year old..and I even had 2 pints..and I am a woman [emoji87] Any problem with that?

Only two Lightweight [emoji4]

Albanian Hibs
28-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Only two Lightweight [emoji4]

😂 ran out of time

SideBurns
28-11-2017, 08:47 AM
From a Weegie Hibby now living in NZ - take the subway to Kelvinbridge- at the top of the escalator go left and over the bridge over the Kelvin ( watch out for GMS trying to go for a swim) and you will find a few child friendly places - walk back over the bridge and turn left onto North Woodside Road until you get to Maryhill Rd - turn left and head up to Queens x - you will see the ground here - 15-20 mins walk from Kelvinbridge subway station - not a bad area in Glasgow terms - if the Woodside bar is still about stop off for a pint- good Boozer - it is at junction of N Woodside and Maryhill Roads - wish I was gonna be there !

Thanks mate. Sounds like we'll be spoiled for choice for places in which we can experience the legendary Glesgae banter (hopefully minus chibbings, glassings etc). Thinking of the earlier Tartan Spesh reference; pub we were in before the 'Well away match had McEwan's Pale Ale on draught #itwasalrightinthe80s

Since90+2
28-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Is anyone still waiting to receive tickets for this? Ordered them the day they went on sale to season ticket holders with special delivery but still nothing through the post.

Oscar T Grouch
28-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Is anyone still waiting to receive tickets for this? Ordered them the day they went on sale to season ticket holders with special delivery but still nothing through the post.

Call the ticket office they’ll be able to track them. They definitely should have arrived by now.

CallumLaidlaw
28-11-2017, 11:23 AM

I ordered mine on the same day as you, requesting first class post and they arrived within 48 hours.

Since90+2
28-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks Calum & Vince. Got a response from the ticket office via email and mine were only posted yesterday :aok

wearethehibs
28-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Anyone know if the pub called Munns Vaults is still open? I tried calling the number on google and got abuse from a very angry Indian man saying this is not a pub, stop calling here. Haha.

Last time we played there, was in that pub and it was really good. Just a few minutes from the away end.

3pm
28-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Can you walk it from Glasgow city centre?

CallumLaidlaw
28-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Can you walk it from Glasgow city centre?

Looks like it’s about 35 mins from George square.